Home > Categories > Protein > Protein Blends > MuscleMeds > Carnivor

MuscleMeds Carnivor

Carnivor MuscleMeds User Rating: (55 Reviews)

Review Authenticity: 91% (Trusted)

Compare Similar Products:

Users who liked this product also liked:

Optimum 100% Whey Reviews
100% Whey (375 Reviews)
9.2
MHP Up Your Mass Reviews
Up Your Mass (88 Reviews)
GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60 Reviews
Wheybolic Extreme 60 (79 Reviews)
Dymatize Elite Gourmet Protein Reviews
Elite Gourmet Protein (31 Reviews)

Products in the same category:

Optimum Pro Complex Reviews
Pro Complex (106 Reviews)
9.3
MuscleTech Nitro-Tech Hardcore Reviews
Nitro-Tech Hardcore (66 Reviews)
5.9
Ronnie Coleman Signature Series Pro-Antium Reviews
Pro-Antium (25 Reviews)
Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion Probiotic Series Reviews
Myofusion Probiotic Series (23 Reviews)
6.8

Related Forum Topics

New Carnivor protein bars by MuscleMeds
I see MuscleMeds is releasing a new Carnivor protein bars. I have never tried th...

Carnivor MASS by MuscleMeds Review (until available in reviews section)
After searching through the forums and in the reviews section, I was unable to f...

Carnivore vs after shock post work out, for muscle gsin, strenth
i take after shock, 3 scoops post lift...

Carnivor Beef Protein Powder by MuscleMeds
Gain back some mass and strength using a non-dairy supplement. Supplements Used...

Get Involved!

Confused about Supplements?

FREE 7-Day Supplement Crash Course:

Description

Carnivor Nutritional Info and Supplement Facts on: Links open in new window
Carnivor Reviews:
Pros:
Cons:
  • Great For Post Workout (38)
  • Beef Protein Based (34)
  • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat (31)
  • No Cholesterol (26)
  • Frothy (27)
  • Strong Dye (19)
  • Expensive. (19)
  • Tastes Terrible. (12)
January 29, 2014

macmcblack

Reviews: 3

Age: 27

January 29, 2014
Great Results, Atrocious Taste

I'm a long time reader, first time reviewer for this site.

I have been taking Carnivor off and on over the last few years. I tried it when it first came out with only Fruit Punch and Blue Raspberry. I came across it again recently with the label saying "NEW FLAVOR", and I thought-great they made it less bad tasting...I wasn't even hoping for good tasting.

Off the top, taste: 2. I have tried Fruit Punch, Blue Raspberry, and Vanilla Carmel. I have gagged trying to finish a shake made of this.

Mixability: 5. I find if I put my blender ball thing inside of a nalgene type bottle (bigger than a shaker cup), and mix half a bottle of water with up to 3 scoops, it blends fine. I had more issues with this when it first came out-it would be clumpy and half mixed. The latest batch I had was fine though. The froth sticks around for a bit, but I just let it sit for a few minutes before drinking.

Response/Results: 8. I'm lactose intolerant and have a mild dairy allergy, so I can't take any type of whey or milk based protein. I've even tried the various hydrowheys that are available. This works about as great as you can expect. It also has creatine in it, so you don't need to worry about adding that in.

Value: 7. If you can get it on sale, it isn't bad. It isn't horrible when it isn't on sale either though.
Pros:
Cons:
  • Dairy Free
  • Low Carbs
  • Beef Protein Based
  • Tastes Terrible.
  • Tastes Bad
October 4, 2013

Age: 25

October 4, 2013
Was looking for something different to try.

I used this product a few times over the years, usually one of the fruity flavors, as a different protein to try.

Taste= I cannot describe how much I personally disliked the taste. It wasn't that it tasted 'bad,' but the fruity flavors tasted unnatural and so strong that I would want to water it down a lot more than needed just to dilute the taste.

Mixability= It mixed terribly and left the container or cup you mixed it in a blue color (for the blue raspberry flavor). It also would froth up a bit, but nothing too terrible.

Effectiveness= I would have to say this was an OK protein product for me, but sometimes would be a bit harder on the GI tract, and I did not like this when so many other protein blends never give me trouble. It did cut down my soreness when used vs. not using any protein post-workout at all.

Cost= For me not worth the price, because I did not like it enough to want to try it again. Not too pricey in comparison to other tubs on the shelf.

If you try it and like it, more power to you, but I will most likely avoid beef powder in the future.
Pros:
Cons:
  • It Has Protein In It
  • Frothy
  • Strong Dye
  • Tastes Terrible.
  • Does Not Mix
  • Rough Digestion
Gkeezy
Gkeezy

Joined: 3/2011
Reviews: 81
Reputation: +1135
Beef protein ? I cant imagine this tasting good at all....

Reply #2:
ReVengeance
ReVengeance

Joined: 1/2012
Reviews: 5
Reputation: +128
I'm with you on this one, tasted awful and didn't sit well in the ol' tum tum.

Reply #3:

Joined: 5/2010
Reputation: +313
I know I didn't mention anything about the creatine that is in this product (I am going to venture a guess that it contributed to some of the GI discomfort).

Reply #4:

Joined: 1/2012
Reviews: 75
Reputation: +2390
Great review, did you try the chocolate flavor, it actually was pretty good for me.

Reply #5:

Joined: 5/2010
Reputation: +313
Warmachine, I only tried the fruity ones (when I bought it at the time it was all the was available). I do tend to like plain vanilla, chocolate or strawberry.

Reply #6:
TigerJT
TigerJT

Joined: 2/2012
Reviews: 8
Reputation: +181
Short review. But got the point across!Sounds like nasty stuff.

Reply #7:
gsknight
gsknight

Joined: 2/2014
Reviews: 0
Reputation: 0
Funny. I think I am one of the few people who like the taste. I use the fruit punch. I mix one scoop with 8 oz of water using a shaker ball.

If I want to cool it down quickly, I throw in a couple of ice cubes before shaking.

Have not had any problems using it on an empty stomach.

September 23, 2013

Reviews: 75

Age: 25

September 23, 2013
Get Beefy with Beef Protein!!!

I meant to develop this review for a while, but was delayed by the progression of the new SARM log. IN any case, here is my review for MuscleMeds carnivore protein. I first incorporated carnivore back around when I had completed my log with Epi-1-test and have actually used it on and off since. Considering it contains creatine, it is important to cycle it off occasionally, at least in my opinion. As the name suggests, carnivore is a beef-derived protein, meaning it supposedly is derived from beef. Now, I don't know the exact process MuscleMeds themselves use to obtain beef protein isolate, but here is a quick insight provided by BodyBuilding.com about the process used by the USDA which I copy and pasted:

Enter beef protein isolates. Beef protein isolates allow you to ingest good protein without getting the not-so-great nutrients hidden in even the leanest steaks. Beef protein is culled from USDA grade beef, which is heated (boiled) to hydrolyze the protein. It is then filtered to take out cholesterol and fat. The water is then evaporated. The near-pure protein is then powdered and packaged as a lean, mean, muscle-making supplement.

This is essentially an overview of beef protein's characteristics and processing information.

Now for my own personal experience:

Taste and Mixability (7): From what I've seen on both websites and local supp shops, carnivore is available in chocolate, cherry vanilla, vanilla caramel, blue raspberry, and fruit punch. I've used the chocolate, vanilla caramel, and some samples of the cherry vanilla. The cherry vanilla was disgusting and nearly nauseating. Definitely not the first flavor I would suggest. The vanilla caramel was decent. However, there was a slight artificial aftertaste that would accompany it at times. The chocolate was really the only flavor of the three that was remotely enjoyable. Chocolate is the main flavor I would recommend. I didn't try the blue raspberry or fruit punch so I cannot comment on those. Lastly, the mixability of the product was okay despite some occasionally clumping that would occur. This happened with all of the flavors I used.

On a side note, the shake had some excessive frothing at the time, making it a bit messy to drink. However, this was only occasional.

Ingredient Profile:

Serving Size: 1 Scoop (33g) Servings Per Container:

Approximately 56 Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 116 Calories From Fat 0 Total Fat 0g 0%* Saturated Fat 0g 0%* Trans Fat 0g † Cholesterol 0mg 0%* Total Carbohydrate 6g 3%* Dietary Fiber 0g 0%* Sugars 0g † Protein 23g 46%* Vitamin A (From Beef Protein) 2547IU 51% Vitamin C (From Beef Protein) 25mg 41% Thiamin (From Beef Protein) 0.1mg 6% Riboflavin (From Beef Protein) 0.2mg 11% Niacin (From Beef Protein) 8.2mg 41% Vitamin B6 (From Beef Protein) 6.5mg 325% Vitamin B12 (From Beef Protein) 100mcg 1666% Calcium (From Beef Protein) 23mg 2% Phosphorus (From Beef Protein) 20mg 2% Magnesium (From Beef Protein) 2mg <1% Sodium (From Beef Protein) 44mg 2% Potassium (From Beef Protein) 6mg <1% † Daily Value not established. * Percent Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Ingredients: CARNIVOR-BPI™ [Hydrolyzed Beef Protein Isolate, Creatine Monohydrate, BCAAs (Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine), hypertrophic Nitrogen Retention Technology™ Intermediates: GKG (**amino acid-Alpha-Ketoglutarate), OKG (Ornithine-Alpha-Ketoglutarate), AKG (Alpha-Ketoglutarate), KIC (Alpha-Ketoisocaproate)], Hydrolyzed Gelatin, Maltodextrin, Lecithin, Citric Acid, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Acesulfame Potassium, Red #40 And Sucralose.

The first thing that caught my eye was the idea of this product being both fat an cholesterol free. Obviously, when dieting or recomping these are things you want to limit. It is also relatively lower in calories than other specialty proteins. Aside of these facts, carnivore also contains other goodies derived primarily from beef protein including BCAAs and creatine. The AKG, OKG, and Maltodextrin are also good additions as well. What is not so great is the strong dyes they decorate the product with. Not surprisingly, MuscleMeds is notorious for their dye fetish lol. In all, a good profile for protein needs.

Usage: Carnivore in my opinion is best used post-workout due to its creatine content. I myself used carnivore post-workout on my training days mixed with a hit of recelerator. On off-days, I would take a serving around midday. The directions suggest using a scoop of carnivore 1-3 times a day, but if you've got your diet in check, I think one two-scoop serving post-workout will suffice. Then again, it is your call.

Effectiveness (9): Getting around the sub-par taste factor and the froth fracas, carnivore does help very-well in recovery, especially when combined with other recovery-aid based products like recelerator. My muscular recovery on carnivore was very pronounced and DOMS was very minimal to non-existent. In terms of strength and muscle gains, I'd say that is did help me achieve some new levels of strength and even put a bit of mass on me, but remember that it is the intensive training that is the prime contributor to this. In short, carnivore does the job.

Value (7): As effective as carnivore is, it doesn't come very cheap. My local supp shop sells 4 lb tubs of carnivore for about 36 dollars. Online however, I've seen tubs go for as high as 45 dollars. You get about 50+ servings in each tub, but if you're a double scooper like me, the price can add up over a period of time. While I do recommend giving carnivore a try, do some shopping and start off with the smaller tubs first.

Overall (8.5): I will give carnivore an overall 8.5. The effective recovery an strength benefits from carnivore are very good, but the price and taste can be limiting factors for some. The product is definitely worth a try, but look for good pricing and go for the chocolate.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!!
Pros:
Cons:
  • Helps Build Muscle
  • Beef Protein Based
  • No Cholesterol
  • Amazing Blend!
  • Great For Post Workout
  • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat
  • Mixability Needs Improvement
Jpotter21

Joined: 11/2011
Reviews: 49
Reputation: +1326
Sorry war lol. Fat fingered it.

Reply #2:

Joined: 9/2011
Reviews: 16
Reputation: +1988
WHAT? HOW COULD YOU NOT LOVE BEEF BOILED IN VANILLA CHERRY SAUCE!?!?!?! Come on Chef, tell War what a gourmet meal this is.....

Great review as usual WAR!!!

Reply #3:
chefneilde
chefneilde

Joined: 3/2010
Reviews: 27
Reputation: +770
War you always right solid detailed reviews.
thanks bro

Ron that sounds bout as tasty as hot garbage smells

Reply #4:

Joined: 9/2011
Reviews: 16
Reputation: +1988
Somehow I'm guessin my previous comments were taken as serious....
Where's the sarcasm font when you need it?

Reply #5:
marv
marv

Joined: 2/2012
Reviews: 2
Reputation: +27
boom! that's how you review a product!!

April 24, 2013

brahsthetic

Reviews: 1

Age: 18

April 24, 2013
 (This is my first review just joined the site wooooooohoooo hahahah)

First of as an EXTREME ecto I have a really hard time to gain weight. I'm currently on a 6,000 calorie diet and this product cuz I loved it the first time. The reason I chose it because the fact of it being 100% beef caught my attention.

Value: 7/10 The value of this product was not my favorite part of it. I got it pretty cheap at the vitamin shoppe since it was on sale ($35). The bottle lasted me a little over a nonth. I was taking two scoops a day one post workout and before bed. That's when I saw the most results.

Effectiveness: 10000000/10 simply put I LOVED this product. It worked miracles for me. I went from 130 to 140 in 4 weeks. Now im not giving the whole credit to the product it was also my intense workouts , but it really did help a lot. Overall amazing weight gainer.

Taste: the taste isn't amazing but I don't care about the flavor myself (I'm a guy suck it up Haha) the only down side was waiting maybe 5 mins for the foam to go away.

Overall: want to gain weight buy this product. Cheap good for its value and amazing results.
Pros:
Cons:
  • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat
  • Great For Pre Workout

DreamBuilder

Reviews: 1

Age: 33

April 3, 2013
 At first you should know that I'm an asian, live in Jakarta, Indonesia, not a dedicated body builder, I'm a marketing staff, I just need a better health and a better body shape. I take Non-Lactose Whey Isolate, and Carnivor Beef Amino.

I suffer lactose intolerant so there are many body building supplements that is not right for me, until I found Whey Isolate that my PT recommends to me, its lactose free. But because of my busy days, I skips my discipline to drink it before and after my workouts.

So my PT recommends me to find MuscleMeds Ultra Concentrated Carnivor Beef Aminos, its in tablets, so I have no reasons to skip supplements in my busy days.

The result is amazing, I didn't realize it until my friends told me that my muscles develops faster than a month ago. I quote a compliment from a girl in my office who's not noticing me before, she said "Are you new here? why are you not in my department?".

So I take a look myself in the mirror, yes, I got about 3 or 5 pounds of muscle than a month ago.

This products taste weird at first, I never get used to it, so my PT recommends me to split the tablet into half and swallow it with water then let my stomach do the rest.

I didn't have any bad physical side effects from this product.

My exercise schedule is three times a week, 2 hour each, I start my workouts with 30 minutes in treadmill machine, 1 hour weight lifting sets with my PT, then 30 minutes of walking in treadmill machine.

My diets is

Breakfast : a boiled white egg and a glass of orange juice

Lunch : 6 slice of whole grain bread with vegetables and bacon and a cup of black coffee

Dinner : fruits and vegetable juice

I drank 3 liters of water everyday, my snacks is roasted almonds.
Pros:
Cons:
  • Great For Post Workout
  • No Cholesterol
  • Beef Protein Based
  • It Has Protein In It
  • Builds Solid Muscle
  • Tastes Bad
  • Rough Digestion
March 21, 2013

mike00andras

Reviews: 2

Age: 18

March 21, 2013
 its a really good protein, I have used a lot of containers of carnivor and I've gained really good lbs of muscle, I recommend it :)
only when I use the raspberry flavor , I did defecated blue/green , that's weird.
  • Amazing Blend!
  • Have Creatine
  • Can Be Bad For Somebody.
February 17, 2013

cdruz32

Reviews: 19

Age: 19

February 17, 2013
 At first I was skeptical of buying this protein because when I first heard about it I didn't see to many positive reviews on it. But when I went to the supplement store that I always go to the guy recommended it to me and seeing as he has never sold me a product that didn't bring results I gave it a shot.

Effectiveness 9/10- This stuff sure did as advertised for me. After being on 4 tubs of this Ive gained 10 pounds, maybe even a little more than that, and all of my lifts have risen, and have continued to rise, substantially

Value 8/10- At the place I go to this cost 40 bucks which is usually the norm for protein shakes and it did deliver so the value in my opinion is worth is

Taste-mixability 6/10- Ive taken a lot of protein shakes since I first started lifting back when I was in 8th grade and I can honestly say this is the worst tasting protein Ive ever had. Now dont automatically turn your head and look away from this product when I say that. When you've had products like monster milk, muscle milk, myofusion, combat, syngex etc. which are all amazing tasting proteins you expect the same from every other protein. This one however comes nowhere near any of those in terms of taste. The mixability is also rough it doesn't mix all that great. However while on my last tub I figured out that if you put your 2 scoops in before you fill it with water it mixes easier and does taste a bit better

Overall 9/10- If it wasnt for the not so great taste this would get a 10 in my book. Definitely did as advertised for me and in terms of results is up in my top 5 protein shakes. I know everyone is different and there are probably a ton of people out there who disliked this product so keep in mind that everyone is different and reacts differently to different things so just because I said this stuff was a home run it may not be that way for you. Also the not so great taste part will also probably keep people away. But if you can get by the taste part you would not be disappointed with this protein in my opinion
  • Taste Could Be Better
December 27, 2012

VANatural

Age: 17

December 27, 2012
 Today I will be reviewing a product from MuscleMeds, which sponsors Kai Greene (as you'd see on this product; there is a tag hanging off depicting Kai winning the Arnold Classic), called "Carnivor". Let me begin with what prompted me to buy this product. It's quite simple; I was running low on my Universal Ultra Whey Pro, which I use as my second meal, so I was at Vitamin World, saw this product for a relatively cheap price, and picked it up.

Carnivor is a protein different from most others, as it consists of filtrated beef protein, rather than whey protein. The benefit to this mainly lies in the fact that you can get the quality of beef proteins without the fat or cholesterol, along with an additional 2.5g of creatine monohydrate!

Pricing 7/10
The pricing was pretty reasonable, considering I bought it at a store, which is usually where they rip you off like crazy, and I know the prices are even better online. They're definitely not ripping you off, but at the same time, it's not really a steal by any means.

Taste 8/10
I got the chocolate flavor, after almost accidentally buying the Cherry Vanilla flavor, which may have been interesting. Nonetheless, I've got to say the smell is much better than the taste. When you open it up at first, it's a pretty overwhelming smell. I think it's an acquired smell/taste, because while I loved the smell and taste, I could easily see why someone may find it repulsive. The first time I drank it, I found the taste a little "beefy" as I've heard some people say. It's not bad, and the chocolate covers it up pretty well, but it's still there. It doesn't taste like regular chocolate, which may turn some people away, but I liked it.

Mixability 6/10
It was definitely not one of those protein powders that takes one shake and it's a smoothie; this thing took some rigorous shaking in my shaker cup that most other proteins (i.e. Universal Ultra Whey Pro, Optimum Nutrition Hydro Whey, GNC's Wheybolic) dissolved relatively quickly in. The strange part came after I shook it, though. It was always REALLY frothy. I sort of expected it, as I read SR's reviews on it before purchasing, but seriously! I felt like half of the shaker was froth sometimes. Still, it went down alright and tasted nice.

Effectiveness 8/10
It was an efficient protein powder, and when rating the effectiveness of a protein powder, remember that it's bound to be rated higher, as protein powders don't have the same immediate effect that PWOs do. But, I did feel some slight gains in strength that I'm hesitant to attribute to the 2.5g of creatine monohydrate (5g in two scoops, I think). So, it did its job as a protein powder.

Overall 7/10
This protein powder helped me vary my protein intake during a cut, as I was able to get egg protein, milk protein, whey protein, fish protein, chicken protein, turkey protein, casein protein, and now even beef protein every day! Do I think it's better than whey protein, not even. For the taste, it's alright, and it's an allaround nice shake to have, but it's nothing special. If you're itching to buy this for whatever reason, go ahead! But there are much better protein powders out there.
Pros:
Cons:
  • Beef Protein Based
  • No Cholesterol
  • Strength Increase
  • Frothy
October 26, 2012

konstantinos

Reviews: 12

Age: 21

October 26, 2012
 Carnivor.. well when i saw that it was a beef protein i said WOW that is what i need definetely! Also when i finieshed reading the description i was sure that this protein was something very special.. i mean this protein has beef and if i was eating beef every day i would become a "beast". That's what i was thinking.. I bought this protein and i consumed it. Well i didnt become a beast for sure or i didnt acquired superman's recovery or muscle building or power :S It is a medium level protein for me because i didnt see any remarkable difference! Mixability was like hhmm a 6-7/10, effectiveness was like a 6/10 or 5/10 and the same for value. Finally nothing special for me but maybe if i get rich some day i buy it again just to give it another try :P
Pros:
Cons:
    • Not So Effective
    • Medium Level Protein
    • A Bit Expensive
    • No True Effect
    August 17, 2012

Age: 40

August 17, 2012
     Great quality protein product without fat, sugar,cholesterol,gluten, and lactose. There are choices of about five flavors, and if you shop around online, you can find deals, including no tax and shipping fees. Carnivor does not mix very well in a shaker, however, it mixes well in a blender or Magic Bullet. Carnivor is frothy, but you can let it settle after a few minutes. Bottom line, protein powder is a supplement and not a gourmet meal or dessert.
    Pros:
    Cons:
    • No Lactose
    • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat
    • Great For Post Workout
    • No Cholesterol
    • Low Carbs
    • Beef Protein Based

Joined: 8/2012
      Reputation: -4
      Carnivor - 4lb - Chocolate
      Serving Size: 1 Scoop (33g)
      Servings Per Container: 56
      Phosphorus (from beef protein) 20 mg
      Magnesium (from beef protein) 2 mg
      Sodium (from beef protein) 44 mg
      Potassium (from beef protein) 6 mg
      Other Ingredients: CARNIVOR-BPI™ (Hydrolyzed Beef Protein Isolate, Creatine monohydrate, BCAAs (Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine), Anabolic Nitrogen Retention Technology™ Intermediates, GKG (Glutamine Alpha-Ketoglutarate), Sucralose, FD&C Red #40, Acesulfame Potassium, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, Lecithin, Maltodextrin, Hydrolyzed Gelatin, KIC (alpha-ketoisocaproate), AKG (alpha-ketoglutarate), OKG (Ornithine-alpha-ketoglutarate)
      * Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie per day diet.

Have you used Carnivor? Submit your own Review!