Carnivor

By: MuscleMeds

Carnivor is a Beef Protein Powder manufactured by MuscleMeds. It is a common, animal based alternative to traditional dairy based protein and is good for those who cannot tolerate dairy based products. The additional dietary protein can increase lean muscle tissue and increase fat loss.

Does Carnivor work?
Click to Expand
WarMachine

I meant to develop this review for a while, but was delayed by the progression of the new SARM log. IN any case, here is my review for MuscleMeds carnivore protein. I first incorporated carnivore back around when I had completed my log with Epi-1-test and have actually used it on and off since. Considering it contains creatine, it is important to cycle it off occasionally, at least in my opinion. As the name suggests, carnivore is a beef-derived protein, meaning it supposedly is derived from beef. Now, I don't know the exact process MuscleMeds themselves use to obtain beef protein isolate, but here is a quick insight provided by BodyBuilding.com about the process used by the USDA which I copy and pasted:

Enter beef protein isolates. Beef protein isolates allow you to ingest good protein without getting the not-so-great nutrients hidden in even the leanest steaks. Beef protein is culled from USDA grade beef, which is heated (boiled) to hydrolyze the protein. It is then filtered to take out cholesterol and fat. The water is then evaporated. The near-pure protein is then powdered and packaged as a lean, mean, muscle-making supplement.

This is essentially an overview of beef protein's characteristics and processing information.

Now for my own personal experience:

Taste and Mixability (7): From what I've seen on both websites and local supp shops, carnivore is available in chocolate, cherry vanilla, vanilla caramel, blue raspberry, and fruit punch. I've used the chocolate, vanilla caramel, and some samples of the cherry vanilla. The cherry vanilla was disgusting and nearly nauseating. Definitely not the first flavor I would suggest. The vanilla caramel was decent. However, there was a slight artificial aftertaste that would accompany it at times. The chocolate was really the only flavor of the three that was remotely enjoyable. Chocolate is the main flavor I would recommend. I didn't try the blue raspberry or fruit punch so I cannot comment on those. Lastly, the mixability of the product was okay despite some occasionally clumping that would occur. This happened with all of the flavors I used.

On a side note, the shake had some excessive frothing at the time, making it a bit messy to drink. However, this was only occasional.

Ingredient Profile:

Serving Size: 1 Scoop (33g) Servings Per Container:

Approximately 56 Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 116 Calories From Fat 0 Total Fat 0g 0%* Saturated Fat 0g 0%* Trans Fat 0g "  Cholesterol 0mg 0%* Total Carbohydrate 6g 3%* Dietary Fiber 0g 0%* Sugars 0g "  Protein 23g 46%* Vitamin A (From Beef Protein) 2547IU 51% Vitamin C (From Beef Protein) 25mg 41% Thiamin (From Beef Protein) 0.1mg 6% Riboflavin (From Beef Protein) 0.2mg 11% Niacin (From Beef Protein) 8.2mg 41% Vitamin B6 (From Beef Protein) 6.5mg 325% Vitamin B12 (From Beef Protein) 100mcg 1666% Calcium (From Beef Protein) 23mg 2% Phosphorus (From Beef Protein) 20mg 2% Magnesium (From Beef Protein) 2mg <1% Sodium (From Beef Protein) 44mg 2% Potassium (From Beef Protein) 6mg <1% "  Daily Value not established. * Percent Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Ingredients: CARNIVOR-BPIâ„¢ [Hydrolyzed Beef Protein Isolate, Creatine Monohydrate, BCAAs (Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine), hypertrophic Nitrogen Retention Technologyâ„¢ Intermediates: GKG (**amino acid-Alpha-Ketoglutarate), OKG (Ornithine-Alpha-Ketoglutarate), AKG (Alpha-Ketoglutarate), KIC (Alpha-Ketoisocaproate)], Hydrolyzed Gelatin, Maltodextrin, Lecithin, Citric Acid, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Acesulfame Potassium, Red #40 And Sucralose.

The first thing that caught my eye was the idea of this product being both fat an cholesterol free. Obviously, when dieting or recomping these are things you want to limit. It is also relatively lower in calories than other specialty proteins. Aside of these facts, carnivore also contains other goodies derived primarily from beef protein including BCAAs and creatine. The AKG, OKG, and Maltodextrin are also good additions as well. What is not so great is the strong dyes they decorate the product with. Not surprisingly, MuscleMeds is notorious for their dye fetish lol. In all, a good profile for protein needs.

Usage: Carnivore in my opinion is best used post-workout due to its creatine content. I myself used carnivore post-workout on my training days mixed with a hit of recelerator. On off-days, I would take a serving around midday. The directions suggest using a scoop of carnivore 1-3 times a day, but if you've got your diet in check, I think one two-scoop serving post-workout will suffice. Then again, it is your call.

Effectiveness (9): Getting around the sub-par taste factor and the froth fracas, carnivore does help very-well in recovery, especially when combined with other recovery-aid based products like recelerator. My muscular recovery on carnivore was very pronounced and DOMS was very minimal to non-existent. In terms of strength and muscle gains, I'd say that is did help me achieve some new levels of strength and even put a bit of mass on me, but remember that it is the intensive training that is the prime contributor to this. In short, carnivore does the job.

Value (7): As effective as carnivore is, it doesn't come very cheap. My local supp shop sells 4 lb tubs of carnivore for about 36 dollars. Online however, I've seen tubs go for as high as 45 dollars. You get about 50+ servings in each tub, but if you're a double scooper like me, the price can add up over a period of time. While I do recommend giving carnivore a try, do some shopping and start off with the smaller tubs first.

Overall (8.5): I will give carnivore an overall 8.5. The effective recovery an strength benefits from carnivore are very good, but the price and taste can be limiting factors for some. The product is definitely worth a try, but look for good pricing and go for the chocolate.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Helps Build Muscle
  • Beef Protein Based
  • No Cholesterol
  • Amazing Blend!
  • Great For Post Workout
  • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat
  • Mixability Needs Improvement
  • Excessive Frothiness At Times

• Jpotter21
    September 23, 2013

Sorry war lol. Fat fingered it.
  • ron
    September 23, 2013

WHAT? HOW COULD YOU NOT LOVE BEEF BOILED IN VANILLA CHERRY SAUCE!?!?!?! Come on Chef, tell War what a gourmet meal this is.....

Great review as usual WAR!!!
  • chefneilde
    September 23, 2013

War you always right solid detailed reviews.
    thanks bro

Ron that sounds bout as tasty as hot garbage smells
  • ron
    September 23, 2013

Somehow I'm guessin my previous comments were taken as serious....
    Where's the sarcasm font when you need it?
  • marv
    September 23, 2013

Boom! that's how you review a product!!

I used this product a few times over the years, usually one of the fruity flavors, as a different protein to try.

Taste= I cannot describe how much I personally disliked the taste. It wasn't that it tasted 'bad,' but the fruity flavors tasted unnatural and so strong that I would want to water it down a lot more than needed just to dilute the taste.

Mixability= It mixed terribly and left the container or cup you mixed it in a blue color (for the blue raspberry flavor). It also would froth up a bit, but nothing too terrible.

Effectiveness= I would have to say this was...

Effectiveness= I would have to say this was an OK protein product for me, but sometimes would be a bit harder on the GI tract, and I did not like this when so many other protein blends never give me trouble. It did cut down my soreness when used vs. not using any protein post-workout at all.

Cost= For me not worth the price, because I did not like it enough to want to try it again. Not too pricey in comparison to other tubs on the shelf.

If you try it and like it, more power to you, but I will most likely avoid beef powder in the future.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • It Has Protein In It
  • Frothy
  • Strong Dye
  • Tastes Terrible.
  • Does Not Mix
  • Rough Digestion

• Gkeezy
    October 4, 2013

Beef protein ? I cant imagine this tasting good at all....
  • ReVengeance
    October 4, 2013

I'm with you on this one, tasted awful and didn't sit well in the ol' tum tum.
  • Samazon
    October 4, 2013

I know I didn't mention anything about the creatine that is in this product (I am going to venture a guess that it contributed to some of the GI discomfort).
  • WarMachine
    October 4, 2013

Great review, did you try the chocolate flavor, it actually was pretty good for me.
  • Samazon
    October 4, 2013

Warmachine, I only tried the fruity ones (when I bought it at the time it was all the was available). I do tend to like plain vanilla, chocolate or strawberry.
  • TigerJT
    October 5, 2013

Short review. But got the point across!Sounds like nasty stuff.
  • gsknight
    Rep: 0
    February 18, 2014

Funny. I think I am one of the few people who like the taste. I use the fruit punch. I mix one scoop with 8 oz of water using a shaker ball.

If I want to cool it down quickly, I throw in a couple of ice cubes before shaking.

Have not had any problems using it on an empty stomach.

I just finished a tub of Carnivor by MuscleMeds. I was interested in it.. I guess I fell into the hype and the advertisement. But for $35 it was worth it to quench my curiosity. Unfortunately, Carnivor just does not match up to whey protein.

One of the points MuscleMeds...

One of the points MuscleMeds is selling with Carnivor is that it has 0g of sugar and 0g of fat. When I compare those stats to Optimum whey protein, the difference is negligible. Optimum whey has 1g of sugar and 0.5 grams of saturated fat. The Carnivor provides 23 g of beef isolate protein and the Optimum provides 24g of whey .

Carnivor provides some creatine, which is unique.. But as an experienced creatine user, I can say that I did not feel the creatine which Carnivor claims to provide. It must be too neglible of an amount. The bottle states that it has 2.5 grams of creatine monohydrate per scoop, but I did not get any positive effect from it that I normally would have from creatine monohydrate.

TASTE-
Carnivor is really awful tasting. Not only that, but it does not mix properly.. and it foams up. When you try to use 2 scoops, you will be drinking chunks upon chunks of unmixed frothy protein mix down. It is nasty. Even a blender does not fix this problem.

COST-
If you are using 2 scoops, the bottle will have 28 servings in it.. If you are using 1 it has 56. So the value is OK. But you have to look at what you are getting for your money, which in my opinion is a sketchy product.

In my opinion MuscleMeds poured too much money into advertising and too little into research and quality ingredients for this product. They are borderlining on MuscleTech territory. The back of the Carnivor bottle states "through histoy, the ravenous appetite that men of muscle have for top quality beef has become as legendary as their super human feats, ancient warriors, greek olympic athletes... now in modern times this muscle building nutrition carries on in the bodybuilding world with Carnivor!!!"

I mean, spare me. Almost 100% of the time products with superlatives spewn across them such as this (MuscleTech is famous for this) are actually mediocre products. Carnivor is just that. A mediocre, bland protein with a million dollar advertisment budget . I'll pass.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • It Has Protein In It
  • Does Not Mix
  • Tastes Bad
  • Too Much Hype
  • Bad Creatine
  • Not Trust Worthy

• CodyZ18
    August 7, 2010

Did you have the fruit punch or berry flavor?
  • BigHoop65
    August 7, 2010

You're fortunate enough to be able to take whey protein without the side effects. I can only take milk derived proteins in small doses occasionally.

GNC had a decent sale on Carnivor so i thought i would give it a shot. (I mean, when will there be any other time when GNC is cheaper than bb.com?) Carnivor is the first Beef Protein based, protein powder out there as far as i know, so that in its self is an innovation. The first thing i noticed when i opened the tub is that its filled with less than half of the whole container, which isnt really a big deal since it has to have the same amount of servings as it says on the label. Either way, a lot of people didnt like the taste, but personally i loved it (fruit punch). It did clum up a lot but this can be solved by putting the powder in warm water then put some ice in it to cool it off. Another thing is that it did foam up a lot too, but it doesnt really matter because it eventually goes down anyways. As far as results go, i did notice a bit more muscle and strength gains compared to a normal 100% Whey shake. Overall, its a little expensive but a great protein powder for anyone who can afford it.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Beef Protein Based
  • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat
BlackandBlue

I have done two back to back container of Carnivore (4lbs) and I have to say I was mildly impressed. Is it a potent protein? Yes. Is it worth the money? Ehh sorta. Carnivore Protein markets itself on a unique protein blend that utilizes beef isolate protein which is supposedly more potent/anabolic than whey. Though I have been using this stuff for a little over a month I feel that the effects are somewhat worthwhile. My muscles are a tad bit harder and puffier. Overall my lifts have gotten a bit stronger (10-15 pounds on complex lifts) but nothing to get you to rush you closest health store to find out about.

Taste (10): Chocolate tastes awesome for a protein powder much like the powdered hot chocolate your grandma used to make when you were a kid. Always enjoyed my Carnivore shakes but I heard the other flavors are really bad so beware before you buy. But yeah chocolate tastes great so if you going with this stuff chocolate is the way to go.

Texture (1): This is the worst part of the protein by far. If super powdery protein annoys you, you may want to reconsider. Also when this stuff gets wet its about two molecular structures away from super glue, I don't know why but this stuff but it is a b!$%h to clean out of shakers, cups, blenders, you name it, unless you clean your drinking instrument of choice right away you'll be spending at least 5 minutes scrubbing whatever you choose to use. Also unless a blender is used, this stuff does not mix well at all. It tends to bunch up in wet blobs and float to the top of water, milk, or whatever liquid you use for you quick muscle meal.

Effectiveness (9): Very solid. More effective than whey in my opinion. Like I said before it did help make me stronger and made my muscles more dense. It has a unique feeling when you take it after work outs and leaves you feeling fuller than whey. Definitely happy I switched it up as I feel that it is good switch up to whey but the differences are rather miniscule. It won't get you PH jacked but it will help you clear a small plateau if that's your problem.

Value (8): This depends on the user but the effects I had were worth the additional ten bucks. Also you can find this stuff for 42 bucks online so don't fall for sites/stores that charge $50 and up.

Conclusion: Carnivore though is hassle to deal with, is a decent switch up to whey. Though I will cycle off this stuff for now I will absolutely be back for more and consider this one of my favorite proteins.

Next up for review: Carnivore Mass, I ordered it by accident thinking it was the protein. Luckily I'm a fan of weight gainers so I'll let you guys know ifs it's as good as its cousin.
  • Builds Solid Muscle

Definitely worth a try.
  • Ocvist
    Rep: 0
    April 2, 2012

I just have a couple of things I wanted to share that should help you dealing with Carnivor.

1 - Mixability and froth - First of all mix it with more water than you normally would mix whey with. Keep adding more until the flavor seems too diluted. It gives it kind of a light Gatorade type of flavor instead of very strong and sugary if you mix it with too little water. I normally get tired quickly of any type of whey protein but this one just tastes like an isotonic drink. To get rid of froth shake it up in the shaker and let it sit for a few minutes. To remove the clumps let it sit a bit longer. I normally mix it with water right before leaving the gym, put it in the bag, get in the car and by then all the froth is gone. I drink most of it and let the rest of it sit in the cup holder. In the next 5 minutes there are no or very few clumps.

2 - Cleaning the shaker - I find this protein the easiest to deal with. When I'm done I fill the shaker with water and put make sure that the top and the mixing grid aare submerged in water. In 10-15 minutes all I need to do is rinse both and I'm done. With regular whey protein I always had to use some cleaning utensil to clean the shaker and it still would stink of protein later. I have several shakers that I've been using for a couple of years. They all used to stink of protein. I've been using them all with Carnivor for a couple of months and they actually completely lost any smell just by letting them sit in water for a bit and rinsing them. This works even with shakers that I leave in the gym bag overnight and sometimes over the weekend. It seems that all you have to do is let water dissolve what's stuck to the bottle.

3 - I only had the Fruit Punch flavor. When I was deciding which flavor to get people generally agreed that raspberry tasted like crap and opinions on chocolate were mixed. With whey I can't stand anything but vanilla and chocolate and even with those I get tired of those halfway through the tub. Here I'm 3 or 4 tubs of Carnivor later and I'm still ok with the flavor.

4 - This seems to be the only protein I can mix BCAA powder with and not gag on the taste. I can tell it's different and not quite as good but it's ok.

5 - I always add extra glutamine (sometimes even close to 10g - I'm a powerlifter), beta-alanine and creatine to this protein and there is no difference in flavor as far as I can tell.

6 - I can't really tell the difference in effectiveness but I don't feel like it's not providing at least the same results as whey. I'm sticking to it primarily because this is the only protein so far that I don't have to force myself to drink.
  • Isplisgardt
    April 2, 2012

I loved this stuff and i may go back to it when i finish my tub of whey. Chocolate is great taste like pudding to me, and it sometimes is clumpy and hard to clean up
  • BlackandBlue
    April 2, 2012

Ocvist has some good points' I'll definitely refer to your advice on my next tub. Thanks.

I have been using this site for awhile now,and I've finally decided to try my first review. I was pretty intrigued with trying Beef Protein. I have used whey and casein for awhile and decided to give this a shot. The stuff mixes very easily with water. I didn't mind the taste, as some others do (I had Blue Rasberry), and I avoided the foam problem by mixing it before my workout to give it a chance to settle. I also thought it was fairly effective, and was happy with the extra 5 grams of creatine it provided since I used 2 scoops at a time. I do believe though that results were fairly comparable with a whey/creatine combo. The main positive was convenience and no fat. It is a quick, good mixing supplement, with plenty of amino acids and vitamins.

Now, on to the reasons why my scores are in the average range. This was VERY rough on my digestive system the whole time I took it. Throughout the 4 pound tub I had to take days of having regular whey to give my digestive tract a break. It ran through me pretty quick and produced blue smurf dumps (from the blue dye). It gave me an upset stomach and frequent trips to the bathroom. I found it to not be as bad when coupled with solid food post workout, but problems were still present.

In closing, I would recomend this roduct IF it wasn't so harsh on my digestive tract. I don't think this is the case with everyone, but it was with me. It is a good product that can be a change up from whey, but unfortunately not for me. Thanks guys.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat
  • Great For Post Workout
  • Beef Protein Based
  • Easy Blend
  • Frothy
  • Strong Dye
  • Rough Digestion

• BigHoop65
    June 3, 2011

You should try another flavor. The digestive problem was from the fact that you got the blue raspberry. I've had the same problem and the solution is simple; try another flavor.

When this came out, my first thought was, "Why hasn't somebody tried this before?". When I tried it, I realized why. For me it comes down to this, if I can't stomach the taste it doesn't matter how much protein or amino acids are in it. This to me took protein supplements back 20 years to when they all were chalky, clumpy and tasted like puke in a glass. From now on I'll take my Beef Protein from steak ( who doesn't like a big juicy steak? )and take protein supplements from other sources.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • It Has Protein In It
  • Did I Mention The Taste?
  • Tastes Terrible.
  • Expensive.
  • Does Not Mix
  • Tastes Bad

This is the best protein on the market !!! It taste great, besides it foams up like crazy !!! And it's almost impossible to not get it on your hand when you take a scoop out. Other than that, it's my favorite protein.
  • Amazing Blend!

-Purchased the Blue Raspberry flavor
-Times and Dosaged Used
-1 Scoop in the morning
-2 Scoop Pre and Post Workout
-Mixed by Shaking w/+12oz water

After trying wheys, egg, etc. protein the beef extract seems to have the best absorbtion with my body. I allow creatine to settle so I intake the least amount of creatine and usually mix with ice so liquid is chilled.

As many say, the taste is horrible and I completely agree, but it could be that I'm used to chocolate flavored proteins.

-Purchased the Blue Raspberry flavor
-Times and Dosaged Used
-1 Scoop in the morning
-2 Scoop Pre and Post Workout
-Mixed by Shaking w/+12oz water

Even with the horrible taste, the gains and effectiveness don't deter me from using this protein.

You also get 0 fat, 0 cholesterol, ANRT system. ANRT or Anabolic Nitrogen Retention Technology is a special feature that Recyles Aminos and Minimizes Ammonia. The Bottle itself would describe it better on how this feature works.

Other proteins I've taken were GNC's Mega Isolate and wheybolic 600, ON's pro-complex and gold standard whey, Cytosport's Muscle Milk, and Designer's Whey.

I recommend this protein if you're looking for clean gains, or just starting again from being dormant from the gym scene for a while.

I also recommend that you try shots before investing into a tub of Carnivor. Although the shots don't have creatine, the effectiveness is very similar to the powder form.

Thanks for reading and good luck!!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Fat
  • No Cholesterol
  • Low Carbs
  • Great For Pre Workout
  • Great For Post Workout
  • Frothy
  • Expensive.

I just finished my first 5lb. tub and I truly believe that the praises and complaints about this product are right on the money. It stinks, doesn't mix well, expensive and to me personally it tastes bad and good at the same time. It tastes bad when not fully mixed and tastes pretty good when mix well. BUT!! This product really works. I'm not really into weighing myself because I let the mirror do the talking and I am seeing results that I like... alot. I've started a new workout method and I'm pretty much spent after my routines and Carnivor is just right... not too filling and enough protein to feed the muscles. I've tried stuff that makes me feel bloated and weighed down and others that make my heart beat so fast I think I'm gonna pass out. I first tried the single shots of Carnivor but that taste is wayyy tooo strong. I just mix it early put it in the freezer and after it settles I have a nice, ice cold fruity drink. I haven't tried the Blue Raspberry but I soon will. This is a really good product and if you don't like the Creatine in it just let it sit until the Creatine settles at the bottom of the shaker or whatever your using, drink the protein, rinse out the creatine and your good.
  • Expensive.
Copyright © 2014 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.