(Better than 90% in Meal Replacements)

MRE Lite is a Meal Replacement manufactured by Redcon1. It is a protein based supplement meant to provide additional fats and carbohydrates with the purpose of providing a quick and conveinient meal. It can promote lean muscle mass gain and aid in fat loss. It is not to be used as a sole source of nutrition.

Protein > Meal Replacements

October 12, 2018

• Overly Sweet At Times
  • Use Artificial Flavors

This product is a whole food meal replacement product used to increase protein intake without any dairy.

This protein powder really interested me due to it being a "whole food" product. RedCon1 based this protein with beef, chicken, salmon, egg, rice, and pea protein instead of the usual dairy derived. This interested me due to me being lactose intolerant. Usually I use a whey product and deal with the stomach issues but this offered me something different.

The full ingredient profile will be posted down below in the pictures.
This product contains several different protein sources including beef, salmon, chicken, egg, rice, and pea. Other ingredients include MCT oil and coconut water. MCT oil is a fatty acid (Medium Chain Triglyceride) that is contained in coconuts. MCT oil is a unique molecule because it does not act like most fats. MCT oil is quickly absorbed by the stomach and transported into the liver so it can be immediately used for energy. Due to this it is not likely to be directly stored as fat and can be a great tool in weight loss. It also has a slough of other health benefits including better cognitive function, lowering blood sugar, and lowering cholesterol.

The macros on this product are:[\u]
24 grams protein
4 grams carbohydrates (2g sugar, 1g fiber)
2 grams fat (<1g Saturated)

The taste and mixability on this product were the best I've had so far. I had the blueberry cobbler flavor and it was very true to this. This flavor tasted like your grandmas blueberry pie. The mixability is good on this also. With a shaker bottle and whisk it will shake and not have any clumps. If you use the recommended amount of water, 4-6 fl oz, it will be the consistency of a milkshake. The only complaint that I would have is that sometimes it can be overpoweringly sweet. This may be due to it being a desert flavor but some days after a workout that sweetness is almost too much.

I dosed this product with 1 serving, which is 29 grams, post workout. The container says you can use it up to 3 times per day to increase protein intake.

The effectiveness of this product is good. I did not notice any exceedingly better or worse recovery while taking this versus other protein powders. I use protein powders as a true supplement post workout to my diet so i try to keep my protein intake high through food also. Due to this i do not have a drastic change in recovery between different protein powders that ive tried. With this being said my recovery while on this was still very good. I truly felt i could push myself and come back the next day all over again.

MRE Lite did have a good filling effect on me. I usually workout in the morning after breakfast so i will have this shake after i workout and then i dont eat until lunch. It did keep me full during this time and there were many times i ate lunch because i know i needed to and not because i was hungry. This is a positive for me and may be definitely useful for people looking to restrict calories on a cut.

This product is designed for people that want the profile of protein behind the original MRE but without all of the carbs and fat. It would be perfect for people on a lean bulk or looking to cut some body fat. The macros on it are good and should be easy for most people to fit into a dietary plan.

The value with this product is tricky. It is 44.99 for 30 servings through Redcon1 but they are constantly running deals of around 20% or more. This puts the price at $36 or 1.20/serving. Every once in a while deals go around 50% or BOGO. This is defiantly worth the money when sales are going on but I would be hesitant at full price. The value is also in the fact that it is a truly unique product. There are not many dairy free, whole food protein powders like this on the market.

Side Effects

I didn't have any side effects.

Conclusion

This product is a great option for someone looking for a low-carb meal replacement or a person who is lactose intolerant and wants to try something new. The price point may be steep but if you give it some time and keep an eye out Redcon1 runs deals often. To me this a great buy and i have loved a quality protein that tastes good and dosnt upset my stomach at all. I will definitely purchase this product again when in the market for a protein.
  • Blueberry Cobbler: 9/10

August 1, 2018

• Thick Consistency
  • Frequently On Sale
  • Use Artificial Flavors

I previously reviewed Redcon1 MRE regular version and quite liked it. When I heard they were doing a lite version I wanted to try it. Especially since it is easier to fit into my macros as I prefer to eat my carbs rather than drink them. So, when it came up on the Trooper Program I claimed it and requested Pecan Pie flavor as that is my favorite dessert. Here is the review.

MRE Lite comes in a 30 serving container with each serving being about 29g. Each scoop contains 134 calories, 2g of fat, 4g of carbohydrates, and 24g of protein. The ingredient profile begins with protein sources which are beef protein isolate (bovine), salmon protein (fish), chicken protein, egg albumin (egg),brown rice protein, and pea protein. There are quite a few protein sources within this product. Redcon1 also claims that these are all real whole food sources. This product also contains coconut water and MCT Oil. It is sweetened with natural and artificial sweeteners and uses sucralose and acesulfame-k. Overall, it is very similar to the regular MRE but excludes the carbohydrate sources and has slightly less fat. I kind of prefer this version of MRE as I found it easier to fit into my macros (and I prefer to eat my carbs rather than drink them).

MRE Lite comes in a variety of flavors that you don't normally see in protein powders. I received the pecan pie flavor as that is one of my favorite deserts. When I first smelled this powder I got a slight cinnamon smell followed by an odd artificial smell. I can't really place it but it smelled out of character for a pecan pie flavor. When mixed the cinnamon flavor becomes muted and you get this kind of nutty type smell. More close to pecans and almonds than peanuts. When you first drink it you have this cinnamon taste followed by a kind of bread type taste. This is followed by a somewhat odd aftertaste that is similar to what I smelled with the dry powder. I can't really place it but it does impact the flavor for me. I will note that this powder does have a thicker consistency, which I really liked. In terms of the overall flavor, I will be honest I did not really like it. I think the redeeming factor was the thickness, which I felt kept me sated longer.

In terms of mixability, it mixed well with water in a shaker bottle with the mixing ball. I have done this with skim milk and I noticed it did not mix as well. As far as dosing goes, I dosed this to fill my protein macro goals so it depended on the day.

Over the course of the container of MRE Lite my recovery and muscle building remained the same and consistently increased. I don't think this product went above and beyond in terms of recovery and muscle building. At the end of the day, this is a food supplement product and marketed as a whole food meal replacement. So, I only expect that my performance will not dip and continue to improve and it did with this product. So, to me in terms of muscle building and recovery this was as effective as other quality protein products I have tried. In terms of fullness, I felt it was above average due to the thickness, which I liked

However, there is one major issue I had with this product and it came down to the flavor and me actually want to drink it. Even with pecan pie being my favorite dessert I never really wanted to drink this product. This can be a major issue especially if you have a supplement that is hard to take. Maybe, another flavor would have been better. I will say that I did enjoy the flavor of the regular MRE product I reviewed a while back. At the end of the day, this was an effective product but the pecan pie flavoring could use some work.

Redcon1 MRE Lite retails for $44.99 from Redcon1 making it about $1.49 per serving. Now, Redcon1 frequently has sales and at any one time there usually is at least a 25% coupon available. So, with a coupon like that you are looking at $33.75 per tub and $1.12 per serving. This is a very unique product and I think with a coupon it is competitively priced. Furthermore, it is hard to find a low carb meal replacement that is animal based with no whey protein. I think value comes down to whether this particular formula appeals to you. I will note that I would not purchase it without a promo code. In addition, Redcon1 charges a $9.99 flat rate shipping so keep that in mind.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

Redcon1 MRE Lite is an effective whole food protein product but make sure you find the right flavor. I do think this is worth a try but really read the reviews on the various flavors before purchasing. In addition, if you order direct I would recommend using a coupon code. Thank you to Redcon1 for sending out the product.

-Xcmiler
  • Pecan Pie: 5/10

Other Prices:
A1Supplements   $44.99
Ill Pump You Up   $44.99
Muscle and Strength   $45.49

July 30, 2018

• Uses Artificial Sweeteners

Big thanks to Redcon1 for giving me the opportunity to review MRE Lite. Too be honest I haven't used many Meal Replacement powders in fact I can count that number on one hand. Being a stay at home dad with a 15 month old & working through out the day I didn't have much time to make meals. This is why I decided to claim MRE Lite as it would be a very easy Meal Replacement only taking a few seconds to shake and sip on.

The ingredient profile is quite different from your average of the mill protein powders. Yes, the profile may look similar however when looking at individual ingredients its quite different. The first six ingredients feature different protein sources from (beef, salmon, chicken, egg, brown rice, pea) - as you can tell there is no mention of whey. By using these type of protein sources the carbohydrate content is very low in fact its 4g total per serving (2g from sugar). Next two ingredients listed after those sources of protein are coconut water & MCT Oil. MCT Oil is added for the benefit of a healthy saturated fat as most of the fat from the protein sources is obsolete.

Base Profile looks like this:
134 calories
24 grams of protein
4 grams of carbs (only 2g sugar)
2 grams of fat

Compared to MRE:
Close to 400 calorie difference
Over 70g difference in Carbohydrates

Taste - For this review I received the Banana Nut Bread flavor which is one of five current flavors. Too be honest I would've never have chosen this flavor if I got to choose. Good thing I didn't choose, too be honest this was a top 3 flavor for me. This reminded me a lot of banana nut bread in a liquid version when I drank it. I looked forward to drinking this every time. Overall I'd give this flavor a 9.5/10.

Mixability - No issues what-so-ever in regards to mixability: There was no clumping, settlement or foaming.

Dosing - I used this as a meal replacement between breakfast & lunch mixing 1 scoop with 5 oz of water. During the review I only used water and 1 scoop. I'm on the cusp of the suggest usage for people over 200lbs (2 scoops) however to prolong the use I stuck to one scoop.

In regards to effectiveness I found MRE Lite to be solid all around. Now if you're looking to really bulk up then the MRE non-lite version would be for you. However if you're watching your macros closely then this is perfect for you. I'm on a lean bulk so this was right up my ally as I was paying attention to my macro counts. I like the fact that these sources of protein are non-dairy, once in a while I get an upset stomach or bloating using whey protein powders. Now on to what really made this effective for me - it kept me full between breakfast & lunch without having extra food cravings. The clean profile allowed me to use extra macros with my main meals which is a plus. I felt MRE Lite helped increase my recovery times between workouts as I train twice a day (morning & evening).

Most online retailers are selling MRE Lite between $35-45 for a 30 serving tub. The cheapest value was found on IllPumpYouUp.com for around $35 or $1.17 per serving. As noted this is quite different from a regular protein powder, this is derived from animal sources with no use of whey. I find the price to be pretty good compared to other meal replacement powders with high calories/carbs/fat. This is especially good for those who are on a keto diet, lean gaining or looking to lose weight.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall Redcon1 knocked it out of the park with MRE Lite. I like how they came up with two different Meal Replacement powders for two very different reasons. With the rage Keto dieting is getting lately this is a great alternative to prepping extra meals. In my case it saved me a lot of time during the day as my son & job kept me busy. The taste was incredible (banana nut bread) - I don't like eating bananas in general but this was something I looked forward to everyday. Once again I want to thank Redcon1 for participating in the SR TROOP Program.
  • Banana Nut Bread: 9/10

July 27, 2018

• Low Carbs So Not Filling

This is a wonderful tasting product loaded with many types of protein. This is a low-calorie and carb protein powder. Since it is low in carbs, I would not say that it is the best meal replacement but better if used as a small meal replacement.

I wanted to give a big thanks to Redcon1 for letting me try your MRE Lite. I need something to help me lose weight and a good meal replacement was a try. It has different protein sources so it is a great product. I just don't know how it would do for everybody as a meal replacement.

Total fat 2 g
Calories from fat 18
Trans fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Potassium 125 mg
Total carbs 4 g
Sugar 2 g
Protein 24 g

This contains many ingredients that I don't typically find in my protein powders. It contains beef protein isolates, salmon protein, chicken protein, egg albumin, brown rice protein, pea protein, coconut water, and MCT oil. I regularly use a whey isolate and this is a good break from that. Beef Protein Isolate (sourced directly from the cow) is a natural high amount of amino acids (alanine, arginine, glutamic acid, glycine, proline, leucine, isoleucine, and valine) and is a comparable whey protein but beef protein cuts out saturated fats and cholesterol. Salmon protein is similar to any other fish and shellfish. It is a high amount of protein that is loaded with vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids, and minerals. Chicken protein isolate provides the pure protein in a chicken. Chicken is used in diet plans due to the protein amount and flavour, so it is a great idea to try chicken in an easier way than just cooking chicken. Egg albumin is the outside part of the egg which is the white part and the yoke removed. Brown rice has protein and some amino acids and is high in natural vitamins. I enjoy rice, but I am not a big fan of the brown rice and I usually go with a healthy white rice. This protein blend does not taste like rice. Pea protein is used as a substitute for dairy-like products. Pea protein helps with heart and kidneys. Coconut water has benefits of hydration and electrolytes. MCT is medium chain triglycerides that can help add weight to the body and hopefully increase muscle mass. The MRE lite has a wonderful amount of ingredients that are beneficial to the normal whey protein powder. Since this product is substituting natural foods you may eat on a healthy diet, makes it a great replacement meal. I give this a very high rating.

I was able to get this in banana nut bread flavouring which was fantastic. It is one of the best flavours I have ever had. Mixability was never an issue. I used the almond milk to get more taste of a banana nut bread. There was never a problem with mixability if it was water or almond milk. Dosing was dependent on weight. If you were under 200 pounds it recommended 1 scoop. If you were over 200 pounds it recommended 2 scoops. I am right on the 200 weight line, so I stayed with the 1 scoop. It recommended mixing it with 4-6 ounces. I tried my normal 8 ounces and I had no issue but the 4 ounces was great because it gave it the texture you might say is similar to eating banana nut bread. The taste, mixability, and dosing were no issues, so I give this a high rating.

This area is something that I struggled with as a full meal replacement. I tried it out first for 2 days as a meal replacement for lunch and did not have success with it because I continued to be hungry. I then tried it for 2 days as a dinner replacement and had the same problem. What I found most effective for me was as a breakfast substitute. I would have one scoop before a workout in the morning for breakfast and I had the most success with that. I also tried it at night right before bed and that was effective as well. I don't know if I would call this a meal replacement for my normal meals in the middle and end of the day. For me, it was good for breakfast in the morning because I usually have a small breakfast with 2 eggs and 2 slices of turkey bacon. The MRE lite was a good fill in for breakfast. I also found it beneficial as a night snack right before bed to keep me full and away from bad snacks. Since the calories and the sugar are low, it was a great way for me to cut carbs and sugar that I might get from bad breakfast meals or snacks. It was not a problem to work this product in with a healthy natural diet, so I give it a high effectiveness rating. I also had a good recovery from workouts in the morning and felt it did what my protein shakes were doing.

I was able to find this easily online for $30 to $50 for 30 servings which are $1 per day (at the price of $30 for a tube). If you're using this as a meal replacement, this is a great value. Most of my meals I have for breakfast (when I am not eating at home) is around $5 to $10 (depending on where you go) so for a $1 meal replacement, this is a very high rating. If you are using it as a protein shake, it is still a high rating as it has 24 g of protein at a price of $1 per day. I give it a high rating.

Side Effects

No side effects

Conclusion

Overall, I give it a great rating. I didn't have effectiveness as a lunch or dinner meal replacement but it did fulfill for the morning meal. The ingredients are great with high amounts of protein and low amounts of carbs and calories. The product was effective for what I wanted. The price is good if you can get it at the $30 price. I had no side effects. So, overall, this is a fantastic product but maybe not what I would use as a lunch or dinner replacement.
  • Banana Nut Bread: 10/10

July 22, 2018

• Only One Size Tub Available

This is a meal replacement type product. RedCon1 has two version of this. This is the MRE Lite which is basically the same as their regular MRE product but this has less calories, carbs, and some other stuff in it. This is gear more towards those people who want to watch their macro intake a little better and not consume higher amounts of calories, carbs and other stuff like their regular MRE has in it. There is no whey protein used in this just whole foods.

First off I want to thank RedCon1 for letting us troopers have the chance to give this product a try. After trying their regular MRE product and really liking that a lot I knew this would be worth giving a try also. For me either of these two products I am just fine with using and found them both to be really good. Since it is hard for me to get that extra meal in me this is great to have and makes it a lot easier to do.

Each scoop will be 29g and will provide you with the following
Total Carbohydrate - 4 Grams
Dietary Fiber - 1 Gram
Sugar - 2 Grams
Protein - 24 Grams

All of the proteins they put in here comes from whole foods and use no whey proteins mean nothing comes from dairy. Also this is Lactose Free and Keto friendly if that is something your looking for. For fillers they use natural and artificial flavors, cellulose gum, ground cinnamon, salt, sucralose and ace-K.

I had the oatmeal chocolate chip. This I thought was decent. With the protein coming from whole foods instead of whey protein I was a little unsure how this would taste but I think they did a really good job at masking the taste. It did seem like the oats part kind of over powdered the chocolate chip part a little more so I thought. It was still good and enjoyed it. This did remind me of eating an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie.

Had no real issues with this mixing. You do get some small pieces of chocolate chip in this which was kind of nice. You can pretty much take this anytime you want if you need that extra meal or want a nice little snack. I would normally take this in the mornings on my way to work. I would do just one scoop each time.

This will be your meal replace product but on the liter side. Meaning less calories, carbs, and some other stuff they put in here. If your someone trying to watch your macro intake but still want that extra meal this is great for that. I would take this in the mornings on my way to work. I figured this was my best time to take since I need that food in me to help fuel me up more and get me going and do feel it did help me some. After I would take this I did feel a bit more full for about an hour or so after taking it. What I really like is that everything they use in this is from whole foods and use no whey protein meaning none of the proteins come from dairy. I was not real sure how this would taste considering what is in here but they did a really good job at masking the taste. I am also trying to add some more size and weight but want it to be more lean type muscle mass (since it is summer time) I put on and not give me a lot of bloating with it. With this being more on the liter side I feel it really helped with doing that and did not notice a lot in the way of bloating in my stomach.

I feel with this it helped me on some of my recovery so I was not as sore like. Over all I seemed to feel a lot better when I would workout later on in the afternoon after using this in the mornings. Also I thought this was really good on my stomach and digests really well into my system. I never felt that bit of heaviness in my stomach where this was just sitting there waiting to digest. What I do really like is how easy this is to take so you can get that extra meal like into your system instead of having to try and eat that extra meal. For what this product is suppose to do I think it works really well in all of these areas. If I had my choice I would rather go with their regular MRE instead but this still has a good purpose as to why something would use this over their regular MRE.

The cheapest I could find this was on amazon.com and they want $39.99 for 30 servings. I don't think that is to bad a price considering what all they have in this. If you were to buy everything separate it would cost you a lot more.

Side Effects

Nothing I noticed.

Conclusion

Overall I thought this was another great meal replacement type product. I think redcon1 did a really good job coming up with this product. This is a great way to get your proteins intake if you can't consume whey or are looking for another alternative to increase your protein intake and/or have an easy meal replacement option to grab when in a hurry. If your trying to watch your macro intake this will be a great choice to go with because this will really help you. For taste wise you will really enjoy this a lot. It would be nice to see a larger size tub in the near future so it will last you a bit longer. Price wise is not to bad but you will need to look around because I have noticed pricing for this really varies a lot. This I feel is just another great way and very easy way to consume if your looking for that extra meal or want something top help curb your sweet tooth and use it as a nice little snack. Again I want to thank Redcon1 for making this product and letting me have the chance to try it.
  • Oatmeal Chocolate Chip: 7/10

July 16, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Whey
  • Tastes Great
  • Great Mixability

-----
Update 07/24/2018:
Pecan pie flavor: 9.5/10. On the sweeter side, but not overwhelming
-----

This product delivered. I used it as a morning meal replacement when I got lazy or bored with making egg whites. This protein is unique in that it is composed of 6 different protein sources, none of which are whey or casein. I have digestive issues with whey so I decided to give this a try. The taste and mixability were phenomenal. The result were what i expected from a quality protein source. I gained lean mass while taking this product and did not ever experience any bloating with this product as I do with whey. This protein is designed to be a meal replacement, not a post-workout protein. It is a slower digesting protein, which makes it much more suitable as a meal replacement to curb appetite and remain anabolic. There are many other proteins out there that would serve better as a fast digesting, post-workout protein. I would recommend this protein to anyone who doesn't like milk-derived protein as well as anyone who is looking for a really good tasting meal-replacement protein.

I am an athletic build 6'4" 198 lb 15% bf male. I bought this protein for a number of reasons. First of all, I have not had a single bad supplement from Redcon1 yet. I am becoming more and more a fan of this brand every time I try a new one of their products. Secondly, I do not like to consume dairy or dairy-derivatives such as whey or casein protein because of allergy and digestive issues, as I had also mentioned in my Muscle Meds Carnivore review (https://supplementreviews.com/musclemeds/carnivor/review/favorite-56103). This protein contains no dairy sources. The protein is composed of beef, salmon, egg, chicken, brown rice protein, pea protein. With all of those different sources of protein I was skeptical on the results and flavoring, but as you will later see my worries were put to rest. The last reason I bought this is because I have been getting sick of eating so many egg whites for breakfast and wanted to supplement a different source of protein for some variety. The cost of this beverage is about the same as buying egg-whites so I decided to give it a try.

Primary
Beef protein Isolate
Salmon Protein - My first supplement containing salmon protein. Don't worry no fishy smell or taste!
Egg Albumin- Egg protein is my favorite. I kind of wish this was the main protein source.
Brown Rice protein
Pea Protein
Coconut water- adds electrolytes helping you remain hydrated
MCT Oil -medium chain triglycerides, as opposed to long chain triglycerides (LCT), which are found in most foods. MCT is comprised of primarily caprylic and capric fatty acids, and is a light-yellow, odorless, translucent liquid at room temperature. MCT oil occurs naturally in coconut oil and other foods. It has been used to add calories to infant formulas. Recently, athletes, bodybuilders, and diet gurus have jumped on the MCT bandwagon, for it fat burning and an energy sustaining properties.

I am very happy that this product does not have dairy or soy derived protein sources.

Other
Natural and Artifical flavors - MRE tastes very natural no chemical or weird aftertaste
Cellulose Gum - used to make foods thick and creamy, without all the fat. It may help to suppress the appetite. It does help to thicken the shake up, giving it a richer taste.
Ground Cinnamon- For Flavoring; there is not enough cinnamon in this supplement to have an effect on Blood Glucose Insulin Sensitivity
Salt - Flavor and electrolyte source
Sucralose - artificial sweetener
Acesulfame-K - artificial sweetener

I wish more companies would use stevia as their sweetener. Although Sucralose and Acesulfame-K are artificial, I will still consume them. I will not consume any supplements containing aspartame.

Taste 10/10
I had the banana nut bread and blueberry cobbler flavors and I would say they both were delicious. Easily the best tasting protein I've ever tried. I mix it with just water and the taste is perfect in my opinion. I actually look forward to drinking this protein as a treat. No more plugging your nose and chugging your shake as fast as you can with this stuff. I have just ordered the pecan pie and dutch apple pie and I am really excited to try them. I will post in the comments or update the review after I try them.

Mixablity 10/10
This is also probably the best mixing protein I have ever used. A few shakes in the shaker and it is completely dissolved. It is almost hard to believe how well it mixes. No clumps and the protein is very smooth in taste. I have only mixed with water so can not comment on how well it mixes in milk. It is a pretty thick shake too, likely from the Cellulose Gum.

Dosing 9/10
24 grams of protein, 4g carbs, 2 g fat per 29 gram scoop ( i know that equals 30 grams but the container says 29 grams). 134 Calories, 0g cholesterol. The scoop is fairly small so I assume there to be very little to no fillers. This lite version is the low carb version of MRE. For the full carb-loaded meal replacement, Recon has original MRE. I have heard the original MRE is just as good quality and I may give it a try when I decide to go through my next bulk.

I have noticed that my appetite has been less since I switched to this protein. This could be due to the fact that the protein I was taking prior to this one was fast digesting. I have steadily gained muscle and reduced fat while taking this supplement. I don't feel any difference in regards to recovery with this product vs any other common protein source. I like that Redcon1 has an MRE and MRE lite. This makes it easier to convert from bulking to cutting phases. For those looking to shred, this product does contain low-sugar and low-fat so you may want to consider a different protein during a shred that is fat-free and/or carb-free. My current goals are to maintain.

A 30 serving tub is usually priced between $30-$40. So price per serving is around $1.00-$1.33 per serving. I am fine with paying this price because I really like this protein and I am using it to replace my egg white intake which is about the same in price. I think it's a decent value being that it is a whey alternative. I have not seen any larger sized tub of MRE lite.

Side Effects

I had zero digestive issues with this protein, no gas, and no bloating.

Conclusion

I will keep continuing to buy this protein as long as the price point and quality remain the same. I love how well my stomach feels after drinking this shake. I don't get the bubble guts like I do from whey. I don't think there are better flavors or better mixability by any other company. I also really like that there are 6 sources of protein, helping me feel confident that I am getting a fully spectrum of amino acids. I would be interested to know exactly what the AA spectrum looks like as well as the protein bioavailability of this blend of proteins so that I can compare them to whey, however Redcon1 does not have this information readily available. Thank you for reading my review and feel free to ask any additional questions.
  • Banana Nut Bread: 10/10
  • Blueberry Cobbler: 10/10

July 11, 2018

From the brand:
Our whole food meal replacement, MRE is now available in lower calories. In the military, M.R.E. stands for Meals Ready to Eat, these meal packs are given to soldiers out in the field for fuel during intense combat situations. We built upon that concept and offer to you a delicious tasting whole food meal replacement packed full of healthy food choices that will replenish your system when you need it the most.
MRE Lite will deliver the same great taste and excellent source of whole foods as our original MRE formula, but with much lower carbohydrates for the person keeping a close and watchful on his or her macronutrients. That means if you're dieting and on restricted calories, you too, can enjoy the wonders that MRE can do for your physique.
MRE Lite contains no whey protein allowing for easy digestion. Instead, you'll get beef, salmon, egg, and chicken protein. Plus, the healthy benefits of brown rice protein, pea protein, and MCT oil. Each serving is just 134 calories with 24g of protein and just 2g of sugar.
No Whey Protein
Just 2g of Sugar per serving
Lactose Free
Mixes easily without a blender
Keto friendly

Hello all! Full intro on myself can be found on the forum here: https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=35432.0

Thank you to RedCon1 for being a part of SR.com and allowing us TROOPers to run and review many of the products that the company produces. Today I am going to speak about my experiences with their no whey, animal based protein powder/meal replacement named MRE Lite. With new protein powders being released every few weeks it seems like, this one caught my eye as RedCon1 did something different that I have not seen from anyone else. By many accounts, the original MRE product was a huge success for the brand and now we have the Lite version that removed most of the carbs. Let's see if the reputation and results carried over to this product.

Each 29 gram scoop will provide you with the following macros:
Total Carbohydrate - 4 Grams
Dietary Fiber - 1 Gram
Sugar - 2 Grams
Protein - 24 Grams

The main active ingredients include: Beef protein Isolate (bovine), Salmon protein (fish), Chicken protein, Egg Albumin (egg), Brown Rice protein, Pea protein, Coconut water (coconut), MCT oil.

As you can see from the ingredients, this supplement took a different route in providing you with protein sources that do not come from milk. You have whole food sources that I never thought could be turned into a powder and actually be drinkable. With that in mind, I was a little hesitant at first but those fears quickly vanished once I tasted this product for the first time. The macros are similar to what you would find in a whey protein blend product on the market but that is where the similarities stop.

You then have the "fillers" which include natural and artificial flavors, cellulose gum, ground cinnamon, salt, sucralose and ace-K.

This supplement is also listed as lactose free and keto friendly, if you happen to be looking for those characteristics in a product.

Taste >> I received the banana nut bread flavor from the rep and it was delicious. As I mentioned in the title, who knew animal protein sources could be flavored to taste like an amazing baked sweet treat? Definitely not I, but I am a believer after trying a scoop of this. I like banana and cinnamon flavored products, so this was a perfect fit for me and I would recommend it to anyone who also likes these flavors. This flavor is definitely something different on the market and worth trying at least once.

Mixability >> No issues here with this product for me. I always used a blender bottle when mixing a scoop in water. Sometimes I would have the blender ball inside, sometimes not. For the most part, the blender ball did not make a difference in the outcome of the product. The shake may have come out slightly smoother with the blender ball included but hardly a noticeable difference in my opinion. No huge chunks were ever left in the cup after shaking and it was always smooth going down.

Dosing >> As with most protein powders/meal replacement products, the dosing is left up to the individual and how this product will best fit with their lifestyle. Since it is low fat, consuming post workout is an option along with basically any time of day. The brand recommends mixing one serving in eight to ten ounces of cold water and consuming one to two times per day in between meals.

As with dosing, the effectiveness of a protein/meal replacement product can only be determined by the individual using it. If the food you typically eat does not contain a lot of protein, this product will be effective at increasing your intake. Or if you are a person who has trouble consuming enough whole food to meet your goals, this product will be effective at allowing you to quickly consume some protein and calories without using up too much volume in your stomach. This is also a great option for those who are trying to avoid whey based products or those that contain lactose.

As I mentioned in the ingredient profile section, the macros are similar to what you would find in a whey protein blend product, so MRE Lite was easy to fit into my macros and hopefully will be the same for you. While this could be used post-workout, I personally used it as a mid-day/early evening snack or as a beverage to drink along with my whole food meal. When the whole food meal was lacking in protein content, a scoop or two of this made the meal complete and helped satisfy my hunger. As a snack, this product was great at satisfying any cravings I had for something sweet in the middle of the day or before dinner. That may sound odd considering this product is packed full of animal proteins but RedCon1 did a fantastic job with the flavoring system to make this effectively comparable to a sweet treat in my shaker cup. In regards to fullness, this product seemed to be a little more effective than a comparable whey protein product with a similar number of calories per serving. It was slightly more satisfying while not sitting heavy in my stomach. If I had to put a number to this effect, MRE Lite would keep the feeling of hunger away for an additional 30 to 60 minutes as compared to drinking a whey protein shake of similar calories.

In terms of digestibility, I have no complaints here for this product. Whether taken on an empty stomach or while eating other foods; there were no instances of upset stomach, bloating or discomfort from consuming one or two scoops of this at a time. There are no digestive enzymes included in this product but I do not believe you need them unless you are a person who knows one of the protein sources does not agree with you. In that case, this product is probably not the best option for you to purchase.

Price always seems to be fluctuating with this product as I have tracked it through my run of the tub. Muscle and Strength had issued a temporary price cut dropping the 30 serving tub to $30 with all flavor selections available. While that promo is now over, the new one for the site is two tubs for $65, while one will cost you $45. Another outlet that did have a lower than average price was Vitamin Shoppe, which had it listed at $31.99 for either the blueberry cobbler or dutch apple pie flavors. That promo is over as well and the price is currently back to $40. If you want the selection of all the available flavors, the best place currently to go is I'll Pump You Up's website where all five flavors are listed for $34.95 per 30 serving tub. Along with the two flavors mentioned above and the banana nut bread flavor I received, you can also choose from oatmeal chocolate chip and pecan pie. I'll Pump You Up also offers a 7% military discount which will help some of us on the price.

You can also purchase directly from the RedCon1 website where the price is listed at $44.99 per tub. If purchased from their site, you can pay for your supplements using an interest free payment plan that will spread the cost out over eight weeks. RedCon1 also seems to run some great sales and promotions at least once per month, so be on the lookout for those. If you follow a website like PricePlow, they will always notify you when a promotion gets started.

Side Effects

None personally experienced. As with any supplement, discuss with your physician before taking if you have a medical condition or are taking any prescription medications. Stop use and discuss with your physician if any negative effects occur. Do not exceed suggested dose. Do not take if pregnant or lactating.

Conclusion

In conclusion, MRE Lite is another well thought out and executed product from RedCon1. They took the successful MRE product and removed the carbs for those who don't want them but kept the amazing taste and effectiveness of the product. This is a different option for those who either can't consume whey or are looking for another alternative to increase their protein intake and/or have an easy meal replacement option to grab when in a hurry. The flavor I received is amazing and the product was effective in the ways I wanted and expected it to be. With the product only coming in the one size tub, that does hurt the value and cost per serving when compared to its whey competitors. Hopefully the brand produces a larger tub if this product is as successful as the original MRE powder is.

Once again, thank you to RedCon1 for being a part of SR.com and sending this product out to me. Your team is really thinking outside the box when it comes to products like this and many of the others you produce.

Thank you for reading my review and let me know if you have any questions.
  • Banana Nut Bread: 9/10

June 25, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Filling

Affordable 'meal on the go' that can fit into anyones macros.

What's up guys? Calories are essential for maintaining gains and even more so when trying to make more gains when working a very active job. It's hard to always have cooked meals on hand when you're on a construction site. I picked this product because of the 'easy calories' that I could consume while on the go. I'd like to thank Redcon and SR for making this review possible. Let's dive right in shall we!

I pulled this straight off the website, "MRE Lite contains no whey protein allowing for easy digestion. Instead, you'll get beef, salmon, egg, and chicken protein. Plus, the healthy benefits of brown rice protein, pea protein, and MCT oil." I like these ingredients as a change of pace from classic whey. I feel like a meal replacement powder should be made of more 'real food' if you understand why I'm saying (I'm not saying that whey protein is fake food lol).

1 serving:
    134 Calories
    2g Fat
    4g Carbs
    1g Fiber
    24g Protein

The macronutrients look VERY good here. 134 calories is definitely lower than your traditional meal replacement options and an extremely low fat/carb content. The carbs is what really caught my eye. This allows this powder to fit basically ANYBODY'S nutrition plan and makes it 'easy on the mind' as a macronutrient friendly meal on the go.

Taste: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip was enjoyable. Not the greatest taste in the world but far from the worst. A solid 7.5/10

Mixibility: I used 3 servings at a time so naturally mixing took a little more effort, but even then i didn't experience any real problems mixing it in my shaker bottle.

Dosage: The company recommends taking up to 3 servings per day and for my purposes as using it as a true meal replacement during the 5 hour gap between breakfast and lunch 3 servings was perfect. This gave me an easily accessible 402 calories to feed my body while at work.

A meal replacement really has a few real purposes for me:
    Did it fill me up? YES! Three servings was quite efficient at not only leaving me satisfied but full for about 2 hours after consuming. This usually got me through to my next meal of the day (which would be a more traditional lunch).

Was it convenient? It couldn't have been easier to carry with me on the go. All you need is a plastic bag to keep the powder in and a shaker bottle to ad water to later.

Did it help me achieve my goals? My goal with this product was to add an easily accessible 400 calories to my diet every day to keep me from losing weight while on the job and it contributed to that! I can't imagine a more macro-friendly way to get that many calories in while working a strenuous job.

Muscle and Strength has this for $30 ($1 per serving). Let's compare it to a meal since it is a lite meal replacement. Even at using the recommended 3 servings a day that comes out to $3 per day. I certainly cannot think of any place that sells a convenient, macro-friendly meal on the go for $3, so I'll give it a solid 8 value. Not the best deal in the world, but for its purpose it's really not expensive.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is a great supplement that can fit into anybody's diet and can be easily carried on the road. It's hard not to like a meal replacement with this kind of profile.