(Better than 67% in Meal Replacements)

MRE Lite is a Meal Replacement manufactured by Redcon1. It is a protein based supplement meant to provide additional fats and carbohydrates with the purpose of providing a quick and conveinient meal. It can promote lean muscle mass gain and aid in fat loss. It is not to be used as a sole source of nutrition.

Protein > Meal Replacements

Overall
Thanks to Redcon1 for sending it out!
  July 11, 2018

• Uses Artificial Sweeteners
  • Only One Size Tub Available
  • Use Artificial Flavors

From the brand:
Our whole food meal replacement, MRE is now available in lower calories. In the military, M.R.E. stands for Meals Ready to Eat, these meal packs are given to soldiers out in the field for fuel during intense combat situations. We built upon that concept and offer to you a delicious tasting whole food meal replacement packed full of healthy food choices that will replenish your system when you need it the most.
MRE Lite will deliver the same great taste and excellent source of whole foods as our original MRE formula, but with much lower carbohydrates for the person keeping a close and watchful on his or her macronutrients. That means if you're dieting and on restricted calories, you too, can enjoy the wonders that MRE can do for your physique.
MRE Lite contains no whey protein allowing for easy digestion. Instead, you'll get beef, salmon, egg, and chicken protein. Plus, the healthy benefits of brown rice protein, pea protein, and MCT oil. Each serving is just 134 calories with 24g of protein and just 2g of sugar.
No Whey Protein
Just 2g of Sugar per serving
Lactose Free
Mixes easily without a blender
Keto friendly

Hello all! Full intro on myself can be found on the forum here: https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=35432.0

Thank you to RedCon1 for being a part of SR.com and allowing us TROOPers to run and review many of the products that the company produces. Today I am going to speak about my experiences with their no whey, animal based protein powder/meal replacement named MRE Lite. With new protein powders being released every few weeks it seems like, this one caught my eye as RedCon1 did something different that I have not seen from anyone else. By many accounts, the original MRE product was a huge success for the brand and now we have the Lite version that removed most of the carbs. Let's see if the reputation and results carried over to this product.

Each 29 gram scoop will provide you with the following macros:
Total Carbohydrate - 4 Grams
Dietary Fiber - 1 Gram
Sugar - 2 Grams
Protein - 24 Grams

The main active ingredients include: Beef protein Isolate (bovine), Salmon protein (fish), Chicken protein, Egg Albumin (egg), Brown Rice protein, Pea protein, Coconut water (coconut), MCT oil.

As you can see from the ingredients, this supplement took a different route in providing you with protein sources that do not come from milk. You have whole food sources that I never thought could be turned into a powder and actually be drinkable. With that in mind, I was a little hesitant at first but those fears quickly vanished once I tasted this product for the first time. The macros are similar to what you would find in a whey protein blend product on the market but that is where the similarities stop.

You then have the "fillers" which include natural and artificial flavors, cellulose gum, ground cinnamon, salt, sucralose and ace-K.

This supplement is also listed as lactose free and keto friendly, if you happen to be looking for those characteristics in a product.

Taste >> I received the banana nut bread flavor from the rep and it was delicious. As I mentioned in the title, who knew animal protein sources could be flavored to taste like an amazing baked sweet treat? Definitely not I, but I am a believer after trying a scoop of this. I like banana and cinnamon flavored products, so this was a perfect fit for me and I would recommend it to anyone who also likes these flavors. This flavor is definitely something different on the market and worth trying at least once.

Mixability >> No issues here with this product for me. I always used a blender bottle when mixing a scoop in water. Sometimes I would have the blender ball inside, sometimes not. For the most part, the blender ball did not make a difference in the outcome of the product. The shake may have come out slightly smoother with the blender ball included but hardly a noticeable difference in my opinion. No huge chunks were ever left in the cup after shaking and it was always smooth going down.

Dosing >> As with most protein powders/meal replacement products, the dosing is left up to the individual and how this product will best fit with their lifestyle. Since it is low fat, consuming post workout is an option along with basically any time of day. The brand recommends mixing one serving in eight to ten ounces of cold water and consuming one to two times per day in between meals.

As with dosing, the effectiveness of a protein/meal replacement product can only be determined by the individual using it. If the food you typically eat does not contain a lot of protein, this product will be effective at increasing your intake. Or if you are a person who has trouble consuming enough whole food to meet your goals, this product will be effective at allowing you to quickly consume some protein and calories without using up too much volume in your stomach. This is also a great option for those who are trying to avoid whey based products or those that contain lactose.

As I mentioned in the ingredient profile section, the macros are similar to what you would find in a whey protein blend product, so MRE Lite was easy to fit into my macros and hopefully will be the same for you. While this could be used post-workout, I personally used it as a mid-day/early evening snack or as a beverage to drink along with my whole food meal. When the whole food meal was lacking in protein content, a scoop or two of this made the meal complete and helped satisfy my hunger. As a snack, this product was great at satisfying any cravings I had for something sweet in the middle of the day or before dinner. That may sound odd considering this product is packed full of animal proteins but RedCon1 did a fantastic job with the flavoring system to make this effectively comparable to a sweet treat in my shaker cup. In regards to fullness, this product seemed to be a little more effective than a comparable whey protein product with a similar number of calories per serving. It was slightly more satisfying while not sitting heavy in my stomach. If I had to put a number to this effect, MRE Lite would keep the feeling of hunger away for an additional 30 to 60 minutes as compared to drinking a whey protein shake of similar calories.

In terms of digestibility, I have no complaints here for this product. Whether taken on an empty stomach or while eating other foods; there were no instances of upset stomach, bloating or discomfort from consuming one or two scoops of this at a time. There are no digestive enzymes included in this product but I do not believe you need them unless you are a person who knows one of the protein sources does not agree with you. In that case, this product is probably not the best option for you to purchase.

Price always seems to be fluctuating with this product as I have tracked it through my run of the tub. Muscle and Strength had issued a temporary price cut dropping the 30 serving tub to $30 with all flavor selections available. While that promo is now over, the new one for the site is two tubs for $65, while one will cost you $45. Another outlet that did have a lower than average price was Vitamin Shoppe, which had it listed at $31.99 for either the blueberry cobbler or dutch apple pie flavors. That promo is over as well and the price is currently back to $40. If you want the selection of all the available flavors, the best place currently to go is I'll Pump You Up's website where all five flavors are listed for $34.95 per 30 serving tub. Along with the two flavors mentioned above and the banana nut bread flavor I received, you can also choose from oatmeal chocolate chip and pecan pie. I'll Pump You Up also offers a 7% military discount which will help some of us on the price.

You can also purchase directly from the RedCon1 website where the price is listed at $44.99 per tub. If purchased from their site, you can pay for your supplements using an interest free payment plan that will spread the cost out over eight weeks. RedCon1 also seems to run some great sales and promotions at least once per month, so be on the lookout for those. If you follow a website like PricePlow, they will always notify you when a promotion gets started.

Side Effects

None personally experienced. As with any supplement, discuss with your physician before taking if you have a medical condition or are taking any prescription medications. Stop use and discuss with your physician if any negative effects occur. Do not exceed suggested dose. Do not take if pregnant or lactating.

Conclusion

In conclusion, MRE Lite is another well thought out and executed product from RedCon1. They took the successful MRE product and removed the carbs for those who don't want them but kept the amazing taste and effectiveness of the product. This is a different option for those who either can't consume whey or are looking for another alternative to increase their protein intake and/or have an easy meal replacement option to grab when in a hurry. The flavor I received is amazing and the product was effective in the ways I wanted and expected it to be. With the product only coming in the one size tub, that does hurt the value and cost per serving when compared to its whey competitors. Hopefully the brand produces a larger tub if this product is as successful as the original MRE powder is.

Once again, thank you to RedCon1 for being a part of SR.com and sending this product out to me. Your team is really thinking outside the box when it comes to products like this and many of the others you produce.

Thank you for reading my review and let me know if you have any questions.
  • Banana Nut Bread: 9/10

Other Prices:
Ill Pump You Up   $34.95
A1Supplements   $44.99
Amazon   $44.99

Overall
Thanks to Redcon1 for sending it out!
  June 25, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Filling

Affordable 'meal on the go' that can fit into anyones macros.

What's up guys? Calories are essential for maintaining gains and even more so when trying to make more gains when working a very active job. It's hard to always have cooked meals on hand when you're on a construction site. I picked this product because of the 'easy calories' that I could consume while on the go. I'd like to thank Redcon and SR for making this review possible. Let's dive right in shall we!

I pulled this straight off the website, "MRE Lite contains no whey protein allowing for easy digestion. Instead, you'll get beef, salmon, egg, and chicken protein. Plus, the healthy benefits of brown rice protein, pea protein, and MCT oil." I like these ingredients as a change of pace from classic whey. I feel like a meal replacement powder should be made of more 'real food' if you understand why I'm saying (I'm not saying that whey protein is fake food lol).

1 serving:
    134 Calories
    2g Fat
    4g Carbs
    1g Fiber
    24g Protein

The macronutrients look VERY good here. 134 calories is definitely lower than your traditional meal replacement options and an extremely low fat/carb content. The carbs is what really caught my eye. This allows this powder to fit basically ANYBODY'S nutrition plan and makes it 'easy on the mind' as a macronutrient friendly meal on the go.

Taste: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip was enjoyable. Not the greatest taste in the world but far from the worst. A solid 7.5/10

Mixibility: I used 3 servings at a time so naturally mixing took a little more effort, but even then i didn't experience any real problems mixing it in my shaker bottle.

Dosage: The company recommends taking up to 3 servings per day and for my purposes as using it as a true meal replacement during the 5 hour gap between breakfast and lunch 3 servings was perfect. This gave me an easily accessible 402 calories to feed my body while at work.

A meal replacement really has a few real purposes for me:
    Did it fill me up? YES! Three servings was quite efficient at not only leaving me satisfied but full for about 2 hours after consuming. This usually got me through to my next meal of the day (which would be a more traditional lunch).

Was it convenient? It couldn't have been easier to carry with me on the go. All you need is a plastic bag to keep the powder in and a shaker bottle to ad water to later.

Did it help me achieve my goals? My goal with this product was to add an easily accessible 400 calories to my diet every day to keep me from losing weight while on the job and it contributed to that! I can't imagine a more macro-friendly way to get that many calories in while working a strenuous job.

Muscle and Strength has this for $30 ($1 per serving). Let's compare it to a meal since it is a lite meal replacement. Even at using the recommended 3 servings a day that comes out to $3 per day. I certainly cannot think of any place that sells a convenient, macro-friendly meal on the go for $3, so I'll give it a solid 8 value. Not the best deal in the world, but for its purpose it's really not expensive.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is a great supplement that can fit into anybody's diet and can be easily carried on the road. It's hard not to like a meal replacement with this kind of profile.

Other Prices: