TROOP CP

Carnivor Reviews

By: MuscleMeds

Overall Score:   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #4 of 7 (better than 50%) in
Protein > Beef Protein

Carnivor is a Beef Protein Powder manufactured by MuscleMeds. It is a common, animal based alternative to traditional dairy based protein and is good for those who cannot tolerate dairy based products. The additional dietary protein can increase lean muscle tissue and increase fat loss.
INGREDIENTS (15)
THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)

Pre-digested form of beef protein that increases rate of digestion and absorption into the bloodstream.

THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)

Molecule that supports ATP production in the body and increases lean body mass, strength, power, and stamina.

COMPARE SIMILAR

Gkeezy
  August 14, 2015

I have always taken whey based proteins and I wanted to give a different kind of protein a try. I have read a few reviews on this product on this website and decided to pull the trigger and try this out.

The product makes the following claims:

CARNIVOR is unlike any other protein supplement in existence. In fact, it's proven by clinical research to build muscle mass and increase strength. CARNIVOR was the first beef protein on the market and continues to be the #1 selling Beef Protein Isolate on the planet! Research clearly shows that CARNIVOR's pure BPI alone produces amazing results. But CARNIVOR is more than just BPI. This powerful muscle building protein is packed with creatine and BCAAs for increased anabolism, plus it boasts the innovative Anabolic Nitrogen Retention Technology to recycle amino acids and reduce toxic metabolic by-products. That means even greater muscle and strength building potential!

I wanted to experience this for myself.
===========================================
Taste: 9/10 - I bought the Chocolate Flavor. And let me tell you, its probably one of the best chocolate flavored proteins Ive ever had. It kind of tastes like a chocolate milk float you get at Johnny Rockets, its not too sweet but sweet enough where its totally enjoyable. Every time I drank this I was looking forward to it.

===========================================
Mix-ability: 7/10 - The biggest problem with the mixability is if you don't use enough water, less than 10z it tends to clump up at the bottom of the shaker bottle. You have to add more and more water when you are finished with the initial drink to get all of it out. The problem with that, as you add more water the taste goes from a 9 to a 2. That really tended to pee me off, so I would just add more water from the get go and tried to avoid that problem at all cost.
===========================================

Ingredients: 9/10 - The ingredient profile is solid. No Sugar and a small amount of carbs. Also it has glutamine and BCAA that help with the aid of recovery. Also I like the added benefit of the creatine monohydrate.

===========================================

Effectiveness: 8.5/10 - I wanted to use this for the sole purpose of Post Workout shake, as to aid in the optimal recovery window. I would take 1 scoop post workout, wait about 30 minutes then down 1 serving of Gatorade for the post workout insulin spike and carbs.

Muscle Soreness/DOMS : 9/10 - This product helped tremendously in that area. I was less sore even after my high volume high rep workouts. I am doing a lot of drop sets, super sets focusing on the eccentric part of the movement and I noticed that when I did not take this product, I was a lot more sore for longer days. However, when I took this product regularly post workout, although I was still a bit sore the next day and so on, I was a lot less sore then when I took regular whey.

Gains: 8.5/10 - This product helped me put on a few lbs of clean muscle. Again this was nothing dramatic but I was happy with the results.

===========================================

Value: 8.5/10 - The value is great. 2lbs tube goes for anywhere between $23 to $25 dollars. Each tub comes with 28 servings at 1 scoop. That was enough for almost a months worth, as I stayed with only 1 scoop. Granted if I doubled the scoops I would only end up with 14 servings which is about 2 weeks worth. However, I personally feel when you jump over the 30g of protein, its not all being absorbed and your body ends up pissing some of it away. Therefore, I stuck with 1 scoop and got the most out of the bang for my buck.

===========================================

Overall: 8.5/10 - This gets a solid 8.5 if used solely for recovery. In terms of huge amount of muscle gain, it probably is not the best of the proteins, but for less DOMS I would recommend this product to others.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Beef Protein Based
  • Great For Post Workout
  • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat
macmcblack
  January 29, 2014

I'm a long time reader, first time reviewer for this site.

I have been taking Carnivor off and on over the last few years. I tried it when it first came out with only Fruit Punch and Blue Raspberry. I came across it again recently with the label saying "NEW FLAVOR", and I thought-great they made it less bad tasting...I wasn't even hoping for good tasting.

Off the top, taste: 2. I have tried Fruit Punch, Blue Raspberry, and Vanilla Carmel. I have gagged trying to finish a shake made of this.

Mixability: 5. I find if I put my blender ball thing inside of a nalgene type bottle (bigger than a shaker cup), and mix half a bottle of water with up to 3 scoops, it blends fine. I had more issues with this when it first came out-it would be clumpy and half mixed. The latest batch I had was fine though. The froth sticks around for a bit, but I just let it sit for a few minutes before drinking.

Response/Results: 8. I'm lactose intolerant and have a mild dairy allergy, so I can't take any type of whey or milk based protein. I've even tried the various hydrowheys that are available. This works about as great as you can expect. It also has creatine in it, so you don't need to worry about adding that in.

Value: 7. If you can get it on sale, it isn't bad. It isn't horrible when it isn't on sale either though.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Low Carbs
  • Beef Protein Based
  • Dairy Free
  • Tastes Terrible.
  • Tastes Bad
Samazon

October 4, 2013

I used this product a few times over the years, usually one of the fruity flavors, as a different protein to try.

Taste= I cannot describe how much I personally disliked the taste. It wasn't that it tasted 'bad,' but the fruity flavors tasted unnatural and so strong that I would want to water it down a lot more than needed just to dilute the taste.

Mixability= It mixed terribly and left the container or cup you mixed it in a blue color (for the blue raspberry flavor). It also would froth up a bit, but nothing too terrible.

Effectiveness= I would have to say this was an OK protein product for me, but sometimes would be a bit harder on the GI tract, and I did not like this when so many other protein blends never give me trouble. It did cut down my soreness when used vs. not using any protein post-workout at all.

Cost= For me not worth the price, because I did not like it enough to want to try it again. Not too pricey in comparison to other tubs on the shelf.

If you try it and like it, more power to you, but I will most likely avoid beef powder in the future.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • It Has Protein In It
  • Frothy
  • Strong Dye
  • Tastes Terrible.
  • Does Not Mix
  • Rough Digestion
WarMachine
  September 23, 2013

I meant to develop this review for a while, but was delayed by the progression of the new SARM log. IN any case, here is my review for MuscleMeds carnivore protein. I first incorporated carnivore back around when I had completed my log with Epi-1-test and have actually used it on and off since. Considering it contains creatine, it is important to cycle it off occasionally, at least in my opinion. As the name suggests, carnivore is a beef-derived protein, meaning it supposedly is derived from beef. Now, I don't know the exact process MuscleMeds themselves use to obtain beef protein isolate, but here is a quick insight provided by BodyBuilding.com about the process used by the USDA which I copy and pasted:

Enter beef protein isolates. Beef protein isolates allow you to ingest good protein without getting the not-so-great nutrients hidden in even the leanest steaks. Beef protein is culled from USDA grade beef, which is heated (boiled) to hydrolyze the protein. It is then filtered to take out cholesterol and fat. The water is then evaporated. The near-pure protein is then powdered and packaged as a lean, mean, muscle-making supplement.

This is essentially an overview of beef protein's characteristics and processing information.

Now for my own personal experience:

Taste and Mixability (7): From what I've seen on both websites and local supp shops, carnivore is available in chocolate, cherry vanilla, vanilla caramel, blue raspberry, and fruit punch. I've used the chocolate, vanilla caramel, and some samples of the cherry vanilla. The cherry vanilla was disgusting and nearly nauseating. Definitely not the first flavor I would suggest. The vanilla caramel was decent. However, there was a slight artificial aftertaste that would accompany it at times. The chocolate was really the only flavor of the three that was remotely enjoyable. Chocolate is the main flavor I would recommend. I didn't try the blue raspberry or fruit punch so I cannot comment on those. Lastly, the mixability of the product was okay despite some occasionally clumping that would occur. This happened with all of the flavors I used.

On a side note, the shake had some excessive frothing at the time, making it a bit messy to drink. However, this was only occasional.

Ingredient Profile:

Serving Size: 1 Scoop (33g) Servings Per Container:

Approximately 56 Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 116 Calories From Fat 0 Total Fat 0g 0%* Saturated Fat 0g 0%* Trans Fat 0g "  Cholesterol 0mg 0%* Total Carbohydrate 6g 3%* Dietary Fiber 0g 0%* Sugars 0g "  Protein 23g 46%* Vitamin A (From Beef Protein) 2547IU 51% Vitamin C (From Beef Protein) 25mg 41% Thiamin (From Beef Protein) 0.1mg 6% Riboflavin (From Beef Protein) 0.2mg 11% Niacin (From Beef Protein) 8.2mg 41% Vitamin B6 (From Beef Protein) 6.5mg 325% Vitamin B12 (From Beef Protein) 100mcg 1666% Calcium (From Beef Protein) 23mg 2% Phosphorus (From Beef Protein) 20mg 2% Magnesium (From Beef Protein) 2mg <1% Sodium (From Beef Protein) 44mg 2% Potassium (From Beef Protein) 6mg <1% "  Daily Value not established. * Percent Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Ingredients: CARNIVOR-BPIâ„¢ [Hydrolyzed Beef Protein Isolate, Creatine Monohydrate, BCAAs (Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine), hypertrophic Nitrogen Retention Technologyâ„¢ Intermediates: GKG (**amino acid-Alpha-Ketoglutarate), OKG (Ornithine-Alpha-Ketoglutarate), AKG (Alpha-Ketoglutarate), KIC (Alpha-Ketoisocaproate)], Hydrolyzed Gelatin, Maltodextrin, Lecithin, Citric Acid, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Acesulfame Potassium, Red #40 And Sucralose.

The first thing that caught my eye was the idea of this product being both fat an cholesterol free. Obviously, when dieting or recomping these are things you want to limit. It is also relatively lower in calories than other specialty proteins. Aside of these facts, carnivore also contains other goodies derived primarily from beef protein including BCAAs and creatine. The AKG, OKG, and Maltodextrin are also good additions as well. What is not so great is the strong dyes they decorate the product with. Not surprisingly, MuscleMeds is notorious for their dye fetish lol. In all, a good profile for protein needs.

Usage: Carnivore in my opinion is best used post-workout due to its creatine content. I myself used carnivore post-workout on my training days mixed with a hit of recelerator. On off-days, I would take a serving around midday. The directions suggest using a scoop of carnivore 1-3 times a day, but if you've got your diet in check, I think one two-scoop serving post-workout will suffice. Then again, it is your call.

Effectiveness (9): Getting around the sub-par taste factor and the froth fracas, carnivore does help very-well in recovery, especially when combined with other recovery-aid based products like recelerator. My muscular recovery on carnivore was very pronounced and DOMS was very minimal to non-existent. In terms of strength and muscle gains, I'd say that is did help me achieve some new levels of strength and even put a bit of mass on me, but remember that it is the intensive training that is the prime contributor to this. In short, carnivore does the job.

Value (7): As effective as carnivore is, it doesn't come very cheap. My local supp shop sells 4 lb tubs of carnivore for about 36 dollars. Online however, I've seen tubs go for as high as 45 dollars. You get about 50+ servings in each tub, but if you're a double scooper like me, the price can add up over a period of time. While I do recommend giving carnivore a try, do some shopping and start off with the smaller tubs first.

Overall (8.5): I will give carnivore an overall 8.5. The effective recovery an strength benefits from carnivore are very good, but the price and taste can be limiting factors for some. The product is definitely worth a try, but look for good pricing and go for the chocolate.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat
  • Helps Build Muscle
  • Beef Protein Based
  • No Cholesterol
  • Amazing Blend!
  • Great For Post Workout
  • Expensive.
  • Mixability Needs Improvement
  • Excessive Frothiness At Times
cdruz32
Rep: -29
  February 17, 2013

At first I was skeptical of buying this protein because when I first heard about it I didn't see to many positive reviews on it. But when I went to the supplement store that I always go to the guy recommended it to me and seeing as he has never sold me a product that didn't bring results I gave it a shot.

Effectiveness 9/10- This stuff sure did as advertised for me. After being on 4 tubs of this Ive gained 10 pounds, maybe even a little more than that, and all of my lifts have risen, and have continued to rise, substantially

Value 8/10- At the place I go to this cost 40 bucks which is usually the norm for protein shakes and it did deliver so the value in my opinion is worth is

Taste-mixability 6/10- Ive taken a lot of protein shakes since I first started lifting back when I was in 8th grade and I can honestly say this is the worst tasting protein Ive ever had. Now dont automatically turn your head and look away from this product when I say that. When you've had products like monster milk, muscle milk, myofusion, combat, syngex etc. which are all amazing tasting proteins you expect the same from every other protein. This one however comes nowhere near any of those in terms of taste. The mixability is also rough it doesn't mix all that great. However while on my last tub I figured out that if you put your 2 scoops in before you fill it with water it mixes easier and does taste a bit better

Overall 9/10- If it wasnt for the not so great taste this would get a 10 in my book. Definitely did as advertised for me and in terms of results is up in my top 5 protein shakes. I know everyone is different and there are probably a ton of people out there who disliked this product so keep in mind that everyone is different and reacts differently to different things so just because I said this stuff was a home run it may not be that way for you. Also the not so great taste part will also probably keep people away. But if you can get by the taste part you would not be disappointed with this protein in my opinion
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat
  • Great For Post Workout
  • Beef Protein Based
  • Taste Could Be Better
VANatural
  December 27, 2012

Today I will be reviewing a product from MuscleMeds, which sponsors Kai Greene (as you'd see on this product; there is a tag hanging off depicting Kai winning the Arnold Classic), called "Carnivor". Let me begin with what prompted me to buy this product. It's quite simple; I was running low on my Universal Ultra Whey Pro, which I use as my second meal, so I was at Vitamin World, saw this product for a relatively cheap price, and picked it up.

Carnivor is a protein different from most others, as it consists of filtrated beef protein, rather than whey protein. The benefit to this mainly lies in the fact that you can get the quality of beef proteins without the fat or cholesterol, along with an additional 2.5g of creatine monohydrate!

Pricing 7/10
The pricing was pretty reasonable, considering I bought it at a store, which is usually where they rip you off like crazy, and I know the prices are even better online. They're definitely not ripping you off, but at the same time, it's not really a steal by any means.

Taste 8/10
I got the chocolate flavor, after almost accidentally buying the Cherry Vanilla flavor, which may have been interesting. Nonetheless, I've got to say the smell is much better than the taste. When you open it up at first, it's a pretty overwhelming smell. I think it's an acquired smell/taste, because while I loved the smell and taste, I could easily see why someone may find it repulsive. The first time I drank it, I found the taste a little "beefy" as I've heard some people say. It's not bad, and the chocolate covers it up pretty well, but it's still there. It doesn't taste like regular chocolate, which may turn some people away, but I liked it.

Mixability 6/10
It was definitely not one of those protein powders that takes one shake and it's a smoothie; this thing took some rigorous shaking in my shaker cup that most other proteins (i.e. Universal Ultra Whey Pro, Optimum Nutrition Hydro Whey, GNC's Wheybolic) dissolved relatively quickly in. The strange part came after I shook it, though. It was always REALLY frothy. I sort of expected it, as I read SR's reviews on it before purchasing, but seriously! I felt like half of the shaker was froth sometimes. Still, it went down alright and tasted nice.

Effectiveness 8/10
It was an efficient protein powder, and when rating the effectiveness of a protein powder, remember that it's bound to be rated higher, as protein powders don't have the same immediate effect that PWOs do. But, I did feel some slight gains in strength that I'm hesitant to attribute to the 2.5g of creatine monohydrate (5g in two scoops, I think). So, it did its job as a protein powder.

Overall 7/10
This protein powder helped me vary my protein intake during a cut, as I was able to get egg protein, milk protein, whey protein, fish protein, chicken protein, turkey protein, casein protein, and now even beef protein every day! Do I think it's better than whey protein, not even. For the taste, it's alright, and it's an allaround nice shake to have, but it's nothing special. If you're itching to buy this for whatever reason, go ahead! But there are much better protein powders out there.
  • Strength Increase
deangelo56
Rep: -2
  July 27, 2012

I was initially turned off by the prospect of a beef protein shake. But alas I decided to give it a try.

Taste: I actually liked the taste. I am not picky. But I had the blue raspberry and fruit punch both were cool with me.

Effectiveness: Hard to judge a protein shake completely. However this protein(maybe it was placebo) gave me a tingle and like a rush. After I worked out i felt like it wad flowing through me and working. I never felt like that from a protein.Seems to be good pre and post since i felt it absorb real fast.Not so much as a regular in between protein. Would not hold me over as say a myofusion would.

Value: The 4lb tub has 56 servings. If you are using 2 scoops per shake, you basically getting 28 servings for 49 dollars.Myofusion using the same 2 scoop principal is 28 servings for like 42. So seems on par. But if you have the cash get it for your workouts.

In closing I love this protein. Might get freaked out if your umm deuces come out of you blue. But if you want a nice easily digestible protein. Give this a look.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat
  • Great For Pre Workout
VitaMan
Rep: -7
  July 26, 2012

I got a real good deal on a 5lb. jug of this stuff. I was really exited to try beef protein. I think that the quality and effectiveness of the protein is is very good. But the down side of this stuff is that the food coloring/dye in it is so strong that it's got to be horrible for your kidneys. One scoop of this stuff a day, made my turds blue. It's really got to be bad for you.

The other thing that I don't like about this stuff, is the horrible taste. I don't usually complain about the taste of a supplement, unless it is really terrible; and this stuff is.

That 5lb. jug is finally finished. I thought that it was not going to run out, but It's finally gone. Thank God.

For all I went through, to finish a 5lb. jug, it really didn't give me any better results than just plain whey protein.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great For Post Workout
  • Beef Protein Based
  • Frothy
  • Strong Dye
  • Tastes Terrible.
  • Rough Digestion
BlackandBlue
  April 2, 2012

I have done two back to back container of Carnivore (4lbs) and I have to say I was mildly impressed. Is it a potent protein? Yes. Is it worth the money? Ehh sorta. Carnivore Protein markets itself on a unique protein blend that utilizes beef isolate protein which is supposedly more potent/anabolic than whey. Though I have been using this stuff for a little over a month I feel that the effects are somewhat worthwhile. My muscles are a tad bit harder and puffier. Overall my lifts have gotten a bit stronger (10-15 pounds on complex lifts) but nothing to get you to rush you closest health store to find out about.

Taste (10): Chocolate tastes awesome for a protein powder much like the powdered hot chocolate your grandma used to make when you were a kid. Always enjoyed my Carnivore shakes but I heard the other flavors are really bad so beware before you buy. But yeah chocolate tastes great so if you going with this stuff chocolate is the way to go.

Texture (1): This is the worst part of the protein by far. If super powdery protein annoys you, you may want to reconsider. Also when this stuff gets wet its about two molecular structures away from super glue, I don't know why but this stuff but it is a b!$%h to clean out of shakers, cups, blenders, you name it, unless you clean your drinking instrument of choice right away you'll be spending at least 5 minutes scrubbing whatever you choose to use. Also unless a blender is used, this stuff does not mix well at all. It tends to bunch up in wet blobs and float to the top of water, milk, or whatever liquid you use for you quick muscle meal.

Effectiveness (9): Very solid. More effective than whey in my opinion. Like I said before it did help make me stronger and made my muscles more dense. It has a unique feeling when you take it after work outs and leaves you feeling fuller than whey. Definitely happy I switched it up as I feel that it is good switch up to whey but the differences are rather miniscule. It won't get you PH jacked but it will help you clear a small plateau if that's your problem.

Value (8): This depends on the user but the effects I had were worth the additional ten bucks. Also you can find this stuff for 42 bucks online so don't fall for sites/stores that charge $50 and up.

Conclusion: Carnivore though is hassle to deal with, is a decent switch up to whey. Though I will cycle off this stuff for now I will absolutely be back for more and consider this one of my favorite proteins.

Next up for review: Carnivore Mass, I ordered it by accident thinking it was the protein. Luckily I'm a fan of weight gainers so I'll let you guys know ifs it's as good as its cousin.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat
  • Builds Solid Muscle
  • Beef Protein Based
  • Low Carbs
  • No Cholesterol
  • Great For Post Workout
  • Does Not Mix
  • To Remove The Frothy And You Have To Be Creative
kristof
  April 1, 2012

So about a month ago I went to Vitamin Shoppe and bought carnivore. It was raspberry flavor and it was a 2lbs tub. I heard some good things about it from people and I was very excited to try it and turns out it is now one of my favorite proteins.

Taste: I had Blue raspberry. It did not taste bad at all. I would rate the taste 8 out of 10. It tasted kind of like beef. I enjoyed the taste. I'm pretty sure they added dyes to this because my poo was blue anytime I took this...

Mixablity: Almost every time I used this the mixing was fine. They was some cases when I had to shake it longer. The only thing I did not like was that it foamed. I would have to let it sit for about 2-3 mins before drinking it. I never got clumps or anything like that. I rate it 7 out of 10 because of the foaming.

Effectiveness: I thought this was the best protein I have tried. While taking carnivor my muscles felt full and well feed. One of the big reason's I wanted to try carnivor in the first place was because it was beef protein. I'm a big believe in you should eat meat after a workout to increase muscle mass. That is why I purchased carnivor. I noticed a strength gains on this and new muscle growth in my arms, chest, and calves. The reason for the strength gains is the fact that there is creatine in it. They claim to have;"the natural creatine that is in stake." Well what ever it is I love it. Very good strength gains and muscle growth. Besides the new muscle growth, their was the a pretty good recovery from this product. It has the basic BCAA's in it; Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine. Also, with this I took Modern BCAA to increase my recovery even more. Also, NO FAT in it. Stake with no fat. That's a big plus. Overall I was very happy with this product and what it did for me. Effectiveness- 10.

Cost/Value: This is where muscle meds really grinds my gears. 30$ for about 28 servings. (2lb tub). I love this product but its very pricey. If I had the money I would buy this all the time no matter what, but I simply don't have that money... I give the cost/value - 6.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat
  • Strength Gains
  • Good Recovery
  • Builds Solid Muscle
  • It Has Protein In It
  • Beef Protein Based
  • Expensive.
  • Blue Poo

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.