Ranks #4 (better than 50%)
In: Protein > Beef Protein

Carnivor is a Beef Protein Powder manufactured by MuscleMeds. It is a common, animal based alternative to traditional dairy based protein and is good for those who cannot tolerate dairy based products. The additional dietary protein can increase lean muscle tissue and increase fat loss.

Protein > Beef Protein

Welcome to SupplementReviews.com

The supplement industry is notorious for misleading marketing and misinformation.

mcglynn1813
  March 2, 2017

Okay, so I'm a vegetarian now, but way back in January of last year I caught a good deal for the big tub of Carnivor and pounced on it. That was the only tub I've ever had since. I usually did two scoops (46g protein/~250 kcal) and it lasted me about six weeks, so I'd say my $20 went a long way.

Okay, so ingredient wise, it's pretty standard, compared to other proteins. It's got about the same amount of calories as the Muscletech and Betancourt options, and I think only one less gram of protein, so it's not like this is a standout option. It's a beef isolate, so it's super concentrated beef protein, which yields some extra ingredients that are the driving force behind choosing beef over whey: B12 (1667% of RDA/scoop) and 2.5 grams of Creatine. If you're looking to kill two birds with one stone and have your creatine (it's a little shy of the recommended daily dose) as well as your protein, the Carnivor is for you. It also may appeal to those of you who are lactose intolerant, since it obviously contains no lactose.

Okay, here's where my review gets a little strange. Carnivor was miles ahead of the other beef protein powder that I've had a chance to try. (It was GNC's 'Rare' beef isolate, it got discontinued around summertime last year, and for good reason too.) Compared to Rare, Carnivor mixes extremely well, and is far superior in terms of taste. However, that's not saying much when you compare it to a common whey protein. It still mixes very well in comparison to the usual whey powder, but my god the taste is awful. I bought Vanilla Caramel, and I could taste the hint of caramel, which I think they added to try and hide the horrible beefy overtones. Every time I drank it, I had to force myself to chug it, then immediately chase with something else to wash out the taste of hydrolyzed beef. However, since it mixed so well, this was relatively easy to do. Not fun, but easy. I think it may have been the choice of vanilla caramel, though, because I imagine that something like fruit punch wouldn't be too bad if made sweet enough.

6/10 (8/10 originally, but i took off two points for taste)
Since it's got a good amount of protein and creatine, I definitely felt the effects on my strength a little bit more than normally. I usually take the suggested 5g of monohydrate every day, but I could definitely tell the difference in my strength that the added 5 grams (from two scoops) brought to the table.
As far as recovery, it affected my soreness levels at a level that was comparable to a whey isolate. I would feel pretty sore at all the normal times, after switching up my workouts or doing more reps than normal. So it is nothing special in regards to recovery. However, I believe I was running the Russian Squat program during my usage of Carnivor and I was able to follow the program's guidelines to a tee. (If you're not familiar, it's squatting 3x a week with weights ~70-90% of your 1RM) So perhaps if I had been using a whey protein, I might not have been able to keep up with the programs demands, one of these days I'll do the program again while using a whey powder and compare.

I got it on a deal from some website I've never heard of, and haven't visited since, but even so it still is pretty cheap in a lot of places. DPS nutrition currently has it at $40 for 4lbs, which is about the price of 4lbs of whey isolate, if not a little cheaper. The value on this stuff is pretty good.

Side Effects

I noticed a small amount of occassional bloating in the hour or so after drinking this, it could have been from other stuff I was taking/eating, but I think it was from the increased creatine in my diet. Tough to say.
Otherwise, no adverse side effects to speak of.

Conclusion

The stuff is pretty cheap and pretty effective, but also pretty nasty. If you don't mind awful taste, give it a try. (I am actually curious to see what Blue Raz and Fruit Punch taste like, If you've tried them, let me know how they are!)
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great For Post Workout
  • Builds Solid Muscle
  • It Has Protein In It
  • Tastes Terrible.
  • Tastes Bad
Gkeezy
TROOPer Level: 73
  August 14, 2015

I have always taken whey based proteins and I wanted to give a different kind of protein a try. I have read a few reviews on this product on this website and decided to pull the trigger and try this out.

The product makes the following claims:

CARNIVOR is unlike any other protein supplement in existence. In fact, it's proven by clinical research to build muscle mass and increase strength. CARNIVOR was the first beef protein on the market and continues to be the #1 selling Beef Protein Isolate on the planet! Research clearly shows that CARNIVOR's pure BPI alone produces amazing results. But CARNIVOR is more than just BPI. This powerful muscle building protein is packed with creatine and BCAAs for increased anabolism, plus it boasts the innovative Anabolic Nitrogen Retention Technology to recycle amino acids and reduce toxic metabolic by-products. That means even greater muscle and strength building potential!

I wanted to experience this for myself.
===========================================
Taste: 9/10 - I bought the Chocolate Flavor. And let me tell you, its probably one of the best chocolate flavored proteins Ive ever had. It kind of tastes like a chocolate milk float you get at Johnny Rockets, its not too sweet but sweet enough where its totally enjoyable. Every time I drank this I was looking forward to it.

===========================================
Mix-ability: 7/10 - The biggest problem with the mixability is if you don't use enough water, less than 10z it tends to clump up at the bottom of the shaker bottle. You have to add more and more water when you are finished with the initial drink to get all of it out. The problem with that, as you add more water the taste goes from a 9 to a 2. That really tended to pee me off, so I would just add more water from the get go and tried to avoid that problem at all cost.
===========================================

Ingredients: 9/10 - The ingredient profile is solid. No Sugar and a small amount of carbs. Also it has glutamine and BCAA that help with the aid of recovery. Also I like the added benefit of the creatine monohydrate.

===========================================

Effectiveness: 8.5/10 - I wanted to use this for the sole purpose of Post Workout shake, as to aid in the optimal recovery window. I would take 1 scoop post workout, wait about 30 minutes then down 1 serving of Gatorade for the post workout insulin spike and carbs.

Muscle Soreness/DOMS : 9/10 - This product helped tremendously in that area. I was less sore even after my high volume high rep workouts. I am doing a lot of drop sets, super sets focusing on the eccentric part of the movement and I noticed that when I did not take this product, I was a lot more sore for longer days. However, when I took this product regularly post workout, although I was still a bit sore the next day and so on, I was a lot less sore then when I took regular whey.

Gains: 8.5/10 - This product helped me put on a few lbs of clean muscle. Again this was nothing dramatic but I was happy with the results.

===========================================

Value: 8.5/10 - The value is great. 2lbs tube goes for anywhere between $23 to $25 dollars. Each tub comes with 28 servings at 1 scoop. That was enough for almost a months worth, as I stayed with only 1 scoop. Granted if I doubled the scoops I would only end up with 14 servings which is about 2 weeks worth. However, I personally feel when you jump over the 30g of protein, its not all being absorbed and your body ends up pissing some of it away. Therefore, I stuck with 1 scoop and got the most out of the bang for my buck.

===========================================

Overall: 8.5/10 - This gets a solid 8.5 if used solely for recovery. In terms of huge amount of muscle gain, it probably is not the best of the proteins, but for less DOMS I would recommend this product to others.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat
macmcblack
  January 29, 2014

I'm a long time reader, first time reviewer for this site.

I have been taking Carnivor off and on over the last few years. I tried it when it first came out with only Fruit Punch and Blue Raspberry. I came across it again recently with the label saying "NEW FLAVOR", and I thought-great they made it less bad tasting...I wasn't even hoping for good tasting.

Off the top, taste: 2. I have tried Fruit Punch, Blue Raspberry, and Vanilla Carmel. I have gagged trying to finish a shake made of this.

Mixability: 5. I find if I put my blender ball thing inside of a nalgene type bottle (bigger than a shaker cup), and mix half a bottle of water with up to 3 scoops, it blends fine. I had more issues with this when it first came out-it would be clumpy and half mixed. The latest batch I had was fine though. The froth sticks around for a bit, but I just let it sit for a few minutes before drinking.

Response/Results: 8. I'm lactose intolerant and have a mild dairy allergy, so I can't take any type of whey or milk based protein. I've even tried the various hydrowheys that are available. This works about as great as you can expect. It also has creatine in it, so you don't need to worry about adding that in.

Value: 7. If you can get it on sale, it isn't bad. It isn't horrible when it isn't on sale either though.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Low Carbs
  • Beef Protein Based
  • Dairy Free
  • Tastes Terrible.
  • Tastes Bad
Samazon
TROOPer Level: 56

October 4, 2013

I used this product a few times over the years, usually one of the fruity flavors, as a different protein to try.

Taste= I cannot describe how much I personally disliked the taste. It wasn't that it tasted 'bad,' but the fruity flavors tasted unnatural and so strong that I would want to water it down a lot more than needed just to dilute the taste.

Mixability= It mixed terribly and left the container or cup you mixed it in a blue color (for the blue raspberry flavor). It also would froth up a bit, but nothing too terrible.

Effectiveness= I would have to say this was an OK protein product for me, but sometimes would be a bit harder on the GI tract, and I did not like this when so many other protein blends never give me trouble. It did cut down my soreness when used vs. not using any protein post-workout at all.

Cost= For me not worth the price, because I did not like it enough to want to try it again. Not too pricey in comparison to other tubs on the shelf.

If you try it and like it, more power to you, but I will most likely avoid beef powder in the future.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • It Has Protein In It
  • Frothy
  • Strong Dye
  • Tastes Terrible.
  • Does Not Mix
  • Rough Digestion
WarMachine
TROOPer Level: 70
  September 23, 2013

I meant to develop this review for a while, but was delayed by the progression of the new SARM log. IN any case, here is my review for MuscleMeds carnivore protein. I first incorporated carnivore back around when I had completed my log with Epi-1-test and have actually used it on and off since. Considering it contains creatine, it is important to cycle it off occasionally, at least in my opinion. As the name suggests, carnivore is a beef-derived protein, meaning it supposedly is derived from beef. Now, I don't know the exact process MuscleMeds themselves use to obtain beef protein isolate, but here is a quick insight provided by BodyBuilding.com about the process used by the USDA which I copy and pasted:

Enter beef protein isolates. Beef protein isolates allow you to ingest good protein without getting the not-so-great nutrients hidden in even the leanest steaks. Beef protein is culled from USDA grade beef, which is heated (boiled) to hydrolyze the protein. It is then filtered to take out cholesterol and fat. The water is then evaporated. The near-pure protein is then powdered and packaged as a lean, mean, muscle-making supplement.

This is essentially an overview of beef protein's characteristics and processing information.

Now for my own personal experience:

Taste and Mixability (7): From what I've seen on both websites and local supp shops, carnivore is available in chocolate, cherry vanilla, vanilla caramel, blue raspberry, and fruit punch. I've used the chocolate, vanilla caramel, and some samples of the cherry vanilla. The cherry vanilla was disgusting and nearly nauseating. Definitely not the first flavor I would suggest. The vanilla caramel was decent. However, there was a slight artificial aftertaste that would accompany it at times. The chocolate was really the only flavor of the three that was remotely enjoyable. Chocolate is the main flavor I would recommend. I didn't try the blue raspberry or fruit punch so I cannot comment on those. Lastly, the mixability of the product was okay despite some occasionally clumping that would occur. This happened with all of the flavors I used.

On a side note, the shake had some excessive frothing at the time, making it a bit messy to drink. However, this was only occasional.

Ingredient Profile:

Serving Size: 1 Scoop (33g) Servings Per Container:

Approximately 56 Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 116 Calories From Fat 0 Total Fat 0g 0%* Saturated Fat 0g 0%* Trans Fat 0g "  Cholesterol 0mg 0%* Total Carbohydrate 6g 3%* Dietary Fiber 0g 0%* Sugars 0g "  Protein 23g 46%* Vitamin A (From Beef Protein) 2547IU 51% Vitamin C (From Beef Protein) 25mg 41% Thiamin (From Beef Protein) 0.1mg 6% Riboflavin (From Beef Protein) 0.2mg 11% Niacin (From Beef Protein) 8.2mg 41% Vitamin B6 (From Beef Protein) 6.5mg 325% Vitamin B12 (From Beef Protein) 100mcg 1666% Calcium (From Beef Protein) 23mg 2% Phosphorus (From Beef Protein) 20mg 2% Magnesium (From Beef Protein) 2mg <1% Sodium (From Beef Protein) 44mg 2% Potassium (From Beef Protein) 6mg <1% "  Daily Value not established. * Percent Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Ingredients: CARNIVOR-BPIâ„¢ [Hydrolyzed Beef Protein Isolate, Creatine Monohydrate, BCAAs (Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine), hypertrophic Nitrogen Retention Technologyâ„¢ Intermediates: GKG (**amino acid-Alpha-Ketoglutarate), OKG (Ornithine-Alpha-Ketoglutarate), AKG (Alpha-Ketoglutarate), KIC (Alpha-Ketoisocaproate)], Hydrolyzed Gelatin, Maltodextrin, Lecithin, Citric Acid, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Acesulfame Potassium, Red #40 And Sucralose.

The first thing that caught my eye was the idea of this product being both fat an cholesterol free. Obviously, when dieting or recomping these are things you want to limit. It is also relatively lower in calories than other specialty proteins. Aside of these facts, carnivore also contains other goodies derived primarily from beef protein including BCAAs and creatine. The AKG, OKG, and Maltodextrin are also good additions as well. What is not so great is the strong dyes they decorate the product with. Not surprisingly, MuscleMeds is notorious for their dye fetish lol. In all, a good profile for protein needs.

Usage: Carnivore in my opinion is best used post-workout due to its creatine content. I myself used carnivore post-workout on my training days mixed with a hit of recelerator. On off-days, I would take a serving around midday. The directions suggest using a scoop of carnivore 1-3 times a day, but if you've got your diet in check, I think one two-scoop serving post-workout will suffice. Then again, it is your call.

Effectiveness (9): Getting around the sub-par taste factor and the froth fracas, carnivore does help very-well in recovery, especially when combined with other recovery-aid based products like recelerator. My muscular recovery on carnivore was very pronounced and DOMS was very minimal to non-existent. In terms of strength and muscle gains, I'd say that is did help me achieve some new levels of strength and even put a bit of mass on me, but remember that it is the intensive training that is the prime contributor to this. In short, carnivore does the job.

Value (7): As effective as carnivore is, it doesn't come very cheap. My local supp shop sells 4 lb tubs of carnivore for about 36 dollars. Online however, I've seen tubs go for as high as 45 dollars. You get about 50+ servings in each tub, but if you're a double scooper like me, the price can add up over a period of time. While I do recommend giving carnivore a try, do some shopping and start off with the smaller tubs first.

Overall (8.5): I will give carnivore an overall 8.5. The effective recovery an strength benefits from carnivore are very good, but the price and taste can be limiting factors for some. The product is definitely worth a try, but look for good pricing and go for the chocolate.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat
  • Helps Build Muscle
  • Beef Protein Based
  • No Cholesterol
  • Amazing Blend!
  • Great For Post Workout
  • Expensive.
  • Mixability Needs Improvement
  • Excessive Frothiness At Times
cdruz32
  February 17, 2013

At first I was skeptical of buying this protein because when I first heard about it I didn't see to many positive reviews on it. But when I went to the supplement store that I always go to the guy recommended it to me and seeing as he has never sold me a product that didn't bring results I gave it a shot.

Effectiveness 9/10- This stuff sure did as advertised for me. After being on 4 tubs of this Ive gained 10 pounds, maybe even a little more than that, and all of my lifts have risen, and have continued to rise, substantially

Value 8/10- At the place I go to this cost 40 bucks which is usually the norm for protein shakes and it did deliver so the value in my opinion is worth is

Taste-mixability 6/10- Ive taken a lot of protein shakes since I first started lifting back when I was in 8th grade and I can honestly say this is the worst tasting protein Ive ever had. Now dont automatically turn your head and look away from this product when I say that. When you've had products like monster milk, muscle milk, myofusion, combat, syngex etc. which are all amazing tasting proteins you expect the same from every other protein. This one however comes nowhere near any of those in terms of taste. The mixability is also rough it doesn't mix all that great. However while on my last tub I figured out that if you put your 2 scoops in before you fill it with water it mixes easier and does taste a bit better

Overall 9/10- If it wasnt for the not so great taste this would get a 10 in my book. Definitely did as advertised for me and in terms of results is up in my top 5 protein shakes. I know everyone is different and there are probably a ton of people out there who disliked this product so keep in mind that everyone is different and reacts differently to different things so just because I said this stuff was a home run it may not be that way for you. Also the not so great taste part will also probably keep people away. But if you can get by the taste part you would not be disappointed with this protein in my opinion
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat
  • Great For Post Workout
  • Beef Protein Based
  • Taste Could Be Better
VANatural
  December 27, 2012

Today I will be reviewing a product from MuscleMeds, which sponsors Kai Greene (as you'd see on this product; there is a tag hanging off depicting Kai winning the Arnold Classic), called "Carnivor". Let me begin with what prompted me to buy this product. It's quite simple; I was running low on my Universal Ultra Whey Pro, which I use as my second meal, so I was at Vitamin World, saw this product for a relatively cheap price, and picked it up.

Carnivor is a protein different from most others, as it consists of filtrated beef protein, rather than whey protein. The benefit to this mainly lies in the fact that you can get the quality of beef proteins without the fat or cholesterol, along with an additional 2.5g of creatine monohydrate!

Pricing 7/10
The pricing was pretty reasonable, considering I bought it at a store, which is usually where they rip you off like crazy, and I know the prices are even better online. They're definitely not ripping you off, but at the same time, it's not really a steal by any means.

Taste 8/10
I got the chocolate flavor, after almost accidentally buying the Cherry Vanilla flavor, which may have been interesting. Nonetheless, I've got to say the smell is much better than the taste. When you open it up at first, it's a pretty overwhelming smell. I think it's an acquired smell/taste, because while I loved the smell and taste, I could easily see why someone may find it repulsive. The first time I drank it, I found the taste a little "beefy" as I've heard some people say. It's not bad, and the chocolate covers it up pretty well, but it's still there. It doesn't taste like regular chocolate, which may turn some people away, but I liked it.

Mixability 6/10
It was definitely not one of those protein powders that takes one shake and it's a smoothie; this thing took some rigorous shaking in my shaker cup that most other proteins (i.e. Universal Ultra Whey Pro, Optimum Nutrition Hydro Whey, GNC's Wheybolic) dissolved relatively quickly in. The strange part came after I shook it, though. It was always REALLY frothy. I sort of expected it, as I read SR's reviews on it before purchasing, but seriously! I felt like half of the shaker was froth sometimes. Still, it went down alright and tasted nice.

Effectiveness 8/10
It was an efficient protein powder, and when rating the effectiveness of a protein powder, remember that it's bound to be rated higher, as protein powders don't have the same immediate effect that PWOs do. But, I did feel some slight gains in strength that I'm hesitant to attribute to the 2.5g of creatine monohydrate (5g in two scoops, I think). So, it did its job as a protein powder.

Overall 7/10
This protein powder helped me vary my protein intake during a cut, as I was able to get egg protein, milk protein, whey protein, fish protein, chicken protein, turkey protein, casein protein, and now even beef protein every day! Do I think it's better than whey protein, not even. For the taste, it's alright, and it's an allaround nice shake to have, but it's nothing special. If you're itching to buy this for whatever reason, go ahead! But there are much better protein powders out there.
  • Strength Increase
deangelo56
  July 27, 2012

I was initially turned off by the prospect of a beef protein shake. But alas I decided to give it a try.

Taste: I actually liked the taste. I am not picky. But I had the blue raspberry and fruit punch both were cool with me.

Effectiveness: Hard to judge a protein shake completely. However this protein(maybe it was placebo) gave me a tingle and like a rush. After I worked out i felt like it wad flowing through me and working. I never felt like that from a protein.Seems to be good pre and post since i felt it absorb real fast.Not so much as a regular in between protein. Would not hold me over as say a myofusion would.

Value: The 4lb tub has 56 servings. If you are using 2 scoops per shake, you basically getting 28 servings for 49 dollars.Myofusion using the same 2 scoop principal is 28 servings for like 42. So seems on par. But if you have the cash get it for your workouts.

In closing I love this protein. Might get freaked out if your umm deuces come out of you blue. But if you want a nice easily digestible protein. Give this a look.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat
  • Amazing Blend!
  • Great For Pre Workout
VitaMan
  July 26, 2012

I got a real good deal on a 5lb. jug of this stuff. I was really exited to try beef protein. I think that the quality and effectiveness of the protein is is very good. But the down side of this stuff is that the food coloring/dye in it is so strong that it's got to be horrible for your kidneys. One scoop of this stuff a day, made my turds blue. It's really got to be bad for you.

The other thing that I don't like about this stuff, is the horrible taste. I don't usually complain about the taste of a supplement, unless it is really terrible; and this stuff is.

That 5lb. jug is finally finished. I thought that it was not going to run out, but It's finally gone. Thank God.

For all I went through, to finish a 5lb. jug, it really didn't give me any better results than just plain whey protein.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great For Post Workout
  • Beef Protein Based
  • Frothy
  • Strong Dye
  • Tastes Terrible.
  • Rough Digestion
BlackandBlue
  April 2, 2012

I have done two back to back container of Carnivore (4lbs) and I have to say I was mildly impressed. Is it a potent protein? Yes. Is it worth the money? Ehh sorta. Carnivore Protein markets itself on a unique protein blend that utilizes beef isolate protein which is supposedly more potent/anabolic than whey. Though I have been using this stuff for a little over a month I feel that the effects are somewhat worthwhile. My muscles are a tad bit harder and puffier. Overall my lifts have gotten a bit stronger (10-15 pounds on complex lifts) but nothing to get you to rush you closest health store to find out about.

Taste (10): Chocolate tastes awesome for a protein powder much like the powdered hot chocolate your grandma used to make when you were a kid. Always enjoyed my Carnivore shakes but I heard the other flavors are really bad so beware before you buy. But yeah chocolate tastes great so if you going with this stuff chocolate is the way to go.

Texture (1): This is the worst part of the protein by far. If super powdery protein annoys you, you may want to reconsider. Also when this stuff gets wet its about two molecular structures away from super glue, I don't know why but this stuff but it is a b!$%h to clean out of shakers, cups, blenders, you name it, unless you clean your drinking instrument of choice right away you'll be spending at least 5 minutes scrubbing whatever you choose to use. Also unless a blender is used, this stuff does not mix well at all. It tends to bunch up in wet blobs and float to the top of water, milk, or whatever liquid you use for you quick muscle meal.

Effectiveness (9): Very solid. More effective than whey in my opinion. Like I said before it did help make me stronger and made my muscles more dense. It has a unique feeling when you take it after work outs and leaves you feeling fuller than whey. Definitely happy I switched it up as I feel that it is good switch up to whey but the differences are rather miniscule. It won't get you PH jacked but it will help you clear a small plateau if that's your problem.

Value (8): This depends on the user but the effects I had were worth the additional ten bucks. Also you can find this stuff for 42 bucks online so don't fall for sites/stores that charge $50 and up.

Conclusion: Carnivore though is hassle to deal with, is a decent switch up to whey. Though I will cycle off this stuff for now I will absolutely be back for more and consider this one of my favorite proteins.

Next up for review: Carnivore Mass, I ordered it by accident thinking it was the protein. Luckily I'm a fan of weight gainers so I'll let you guys know ifs it's as good as its cousin.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Fat Try Finding That Doesnt Have Fat
  • Builds Solid Muscle
  • Beef Protein Based
  • Low Carbs
  • No Cholesterol
  • Great For Post Workout
  • Does Not Mix