Overall Score:   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #9 of 228 (better than 96%) in

ION - Multi-Phase Pre-Workout is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Performix. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.
COMPARE SIMILAR

tyyyk_6
Rep: -38
  August 16, 2015

I've heard a lot of people talk about this (ION) there was a lot of hype surrounding it when I finally made the plunge to purchase.
----Ingredient Profile----
(Your thoughts on the ingredients/label of the product)
Performix ION Preworkout Complex 3714.00 mg **
N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine
Creatine HCl
CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine
Citrulline Malate 2:1
BioPerine Black Pepper (Piper nigrum) extract (fruit)[std. to 95% Piperine]
BetaPower Betaine Anhydrous
Advantra Z Bitter Orange (Citrus aurantium) extract (fruit) [synephrine n-methyltryamine hordenine tryamine and octopamine]
Caffeine 175.00 mg

Now where this pre workout is set apart from the rest are the time released beads. they will absorb and disperse during your workout. Leaving you with no mid workout crash. The creatine HCL was awesome to see over your typical monohydrate. I will admit the first time I picked up the container and was looking at the profile I thought 4g in a prop blend at that no way it can live up to the hype. Well... Let's just say it lived up to it. The only thing can come up with is it must be the time released beads.
----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
I'm not afraid to say this was one of the best tasting pre workouts I have taken. I had the blue ice flavor. it was on point you could even feel the beads in your mouth as you were drinking. Mixing was very simple just toss it in a blender bottle and your good to go. I even just threw some in a bottle of water and shook like hell for a min when I was in a hurry and it mixed fine. The dosing calls for 1 scoop, which usually I will build a tolerance quick and go to 2-3 scoops of a pre. Not this one I went 2 scoops on my leg day and it was just too much caffeine for me personally. But, still a solid workout so if your a stim junkie maybe try 2 scoops.

----Effectiveness----
The product really hit here. take this 30 minutes before your workout because it does take a bit for the full effect to kick in. The mental focus was awesome I could feel my self in the "zone" the energy was also spot on and there was no mid workout crash or even afterwards. I would highly recommend not taking to close to bed. I did one night after working an afternoon shift and was up till 4am. It will leave you with good energy even after your workout.

----Value----
45 servings for 49.99 I mean some people may call It pricey but, the way I look at it is I'd rather buy something that will work for me and I don't have to keep upping the dosage to 2-3 scoops. Which is what happened with most of the 60servings containers I have bought. I mean a 1.11 a serving isn't bad for the workout your going to get off this.

----Side Effects----
None besides I would stay clear of taking this if you workout at night or later in the evening. You might be finding it hard to fall asleep.

----Conclusion----
I would recommend on giving this product a shot if your sick of taking 2-3 scoops or mid workout crashes. or just plainly not delivering. Then this is for you. It has good quality ingredients maybe not clinically dosed but, the delivery system I think makes up for it. Simply if you would like to improve your workout this will do it for you so give it a try.
  • Feel Good Feeling
Blade410
  June 14, 2015

Verified Full-Container Use through SR TROOPs.
(Thanks to Performix for sending it out!)
Special thanks go out PERFORMIX for providing the experts with entire line of products. This review is for their ION Multiphase Pre Workout. This market is so saturated with products, will this shine in an overcrowded market? Short answer, absolutely.

Usage: 1.5 to 2.0 scoops per session

Ingredients 8.0 (on paper): On paper this doesn’t appear to be earth shattering. We have seen most of these ingredients before. Beta Alanine, CM 2:1, Creatine HCL, betaine, tyrosine, etc… You also have bitter orange, synephrine and alpha yohimbine. I believe it is the inclusion of the last two ingredients that really shine the synephrine and the Alpha yohimbie. There is also the patented time release beads to extend the effectiveness of this product.

There is also 175mg of caffeine per scoop.

More on effectiveness, below…

Mixing 9: This mixed well, no clumping or significant residue.

Taste 9: Blue Ice. Good. There are dyes though, which I still wonder why companies are putting dyes in products. Totally not necessary.

Effectiveness 9.5: This is probably the most effective pre workout on the market currently. As I mentioned above the synephrine and the alpha yohimbie, coupled with the time released beads, really take this product to the next level. At 2 scoops it was a bit too strong and impacted the workout negatively. I would say 1.5 scoops is the SWEET SPOT.

The most apparent aspect of this product is the time released beads. You will get an immediate jolt of smooth energy at the sweet spot, but about 30 minutes into your workout you will get a second significant jolt. Great stuff.

Value 7: This is where it really doesn’t shine. It is a great preworkout, but priced at 59.99 on most online sites and 55.00 at brick and mortar stores, it is very high. Understanding that people will spend a premium for quality products, but this is priced at 50% higher than the amount of many others. I assume the time released beads are the main reason for the added cost, but I think as time goes by the price of this product will decrease as the market will eventually set the price.

Conclusion 9.2: As we discussed, the only real negative is cost and a bit too much energy. In an market that is flooded with pre workouts, this one absolutely stands out as one of the new leaders. This gets the bladeski seal of approval.
  • A Bit Too Powerful
lava135

May 15, 2015

Verified Full-Container Use through SR TROOPs.
(Thanks to Performix for sending it out!)
----Introduction----
As in said in my review of their BCAA product, I really was interested in the time released aspect of Performix products. Plus, I'm a pwo junkie, so it never hurts to try another one. Just to put this in context, typically you hear of PWO products such as S-Line Incite, Stimul8 or Hyper MD talked about as the big boys on the block for stim power; well guys, move over, there's a new kid on the block...

----Ingredient Profile----
Unfortunately all the ingredients are provided in one mega prop blend (which, you know, I hate), so it's impossible to tell how much of each is provided. And given that the first 4 ingredients are beta alanine, cit mal, betaine and creatine HCL, it would not be surprising to see a blend with these exceed the total 3.7g total, especially since my typical dose of beta alanine is 3 grams on its own. So when I first looked at this I thought that I was in 2 scoop land for sure. BIGGGGG mistake, lol. Whether or not these seem under-dosed by current clinical standards is largely irrelevant because they deliver a huge punch in the amounts provided here; I'll discuss that more in the section on effectiveness.

The stim blend has Advantra Z (bitter orange) which provides a whole slew of things like synephrine, n-methyltyramine, hordenine , tyramine, and octopamine plus bioperine for absorption and rauwolscine (yohimbe bark). If I had seen the yohimbe first, I would have rethought things since yohimbe usually messes up my stomach, but I missed it. Fortunately I didn't get the normal stomach discomfort from this. However, i would be remiss if I didn't point it out as some people have side effects from yohimbe based products.

I won't rehash the marketing on Terra Beads; suffice it to say that I believe they are an effective method of phased delivery. And whether or not there's any clinical evidence to back it up isn't a big deal for me - there is an obvious and non-trivial second wave of energy delivered with this product.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
I had the blue ice, which is your pretty standard blue razz kind of flavoring - quite acceptable and no issues. Maybe even a bit better than standard. To be honest, I don't really care one way or the other about the taste of a pwo beyond a certain point - just don't suck and I'm fine. But heck, even if you do suck, I'm fine if you work like the cat's meow. Mixing was clean with no residue. Overall, very acceptable across the board.

Dosing; well dosing was a learning experience, lol. Like I said, I started with 2 scoops out of the gate and when that second wave hit me about 45 minutes in, I was like, whoa Nellie..... So I'm very confident that a single scoop will work for all but the most stim tolerant.

----Effectiveness----
This was your typical high end pwo after the first dose - very solid. I got a good energy and focus through the first part of my training. Where this blindsided me, literally, was about 45 minutes in when the time release elements kicked in full blast. And more specifically, the yohimbe aspects kicked in so for me, that's a really intense mental push that I wasn't at all ready for with the accompanying dizziness and cold sweats (please note that I DID NOT get these side effects when dosed appropriately - aka, when i read the label, lol). I typically only train for 60-90 minutes so I was at the end of my training and like, seriously all jacked up, lol. Needles to say I altered my dosing and started taking this 30 minutes pre training side of things instead of 15 minutes like before. I also reduced down to a heavy single scoop. The result was excellent energy for my 0530 training. Mentally, it provided no jitters and adequate (not spectacular) focus elements. No real pump aspects to speak of and no real beta tingles.

----Value----
I briefly mentioned this in comments on another Performix review, but I base value on regular pricing, not sales pricing. That's the way I do things because the value when it's on BOGO may not be the value when someone reads this review - get over it. (Although technically I'm still a bit confused whether Performix prefers me to not mention price or only mention price when it's sale. I know, I'm kind of a dick sometimes) And at regular pricing of $49.99 for 45 servings, this rocks. I mean it is totally worth it. Value isn't solely about the price per serving, but also about how it compares to other products that deliver the same results and for this, I'm not sure there is another product that can deliver the same results. So if we judge it solely on delivering an energy fueled workout experience without all on it's own, then I also find it to be almost unparalleled. There's a fine line between jacked up to the gills and solid, workable energy that lends itself to productive training. If this has a fault, it may be how closely it straddles that line; but believe me, cutting back on the dosing is all it took to find the sweet spot, and for me, that sweet spot was sweet indeed. So I'm going to rate this high as I feel results more than justify the high price tag. However, like I mentioned above, it happens to be on a BOGO deal at bb.com so that's 2 tubs for $59.99 which is an insanely good value.

----Conclusion----
As history has shown, I'm the last person to be impressed by marketing copy. And while the science and innovation behind products is more glamorous to some of us more than others, what impresses me, like all my ER brethren, is performance. And as such, I've got no qualms saying that pound for pound, dollar for dollar, this is a pure mean machine. It's not going to give you the pumps or the focus that vertical pump products or nootropics excel at, but what it does provide is the mother of all clean energy and decent focus and alertness. And let's be honest here - for most of us, that's a fantastic benefit. The industry has gotten into a Swiss-Army knife approach where a pwo has to be all things to all people and I think most products fail at that. I used this as an old-school energy focused pwo; end of story. So if you train first thing in the AM like I do, or for extended periods of time, then I cannot recommend this more highly. It stands toe to toe with my previous energy champ, S-Line Incite.

All joking aside, and I've used some humor in this review due to the higher tensions that some other Performix reviews have generated; but this is an excellent product. Remember, you take the good with the bad and not every company hits a home-run with every product. In fact, even some of the very best companies have had some outright failures. If SR has a small role to play, it's in the fact that we can offer independent opinions that can help any company offer better products - and we all benefit from that. These are just my personal opinions and I hope as such that readers can appreciate the time put into it regardless of the scores given. If not, there's a variety of feminine hygiene product review websites that I can recommend (from personal experience, lol).
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Time Released
  • Unique Energy Delivery
    Gkeezy
      April 23, 2015

Its been a while since I've done a review, but this product was so fantastic I wanted to share it with the rest of you. So normally I would not pick up a PWO at a store, let alone in GNC, because 1. The price is crazy 2. They usually do not have PWO especially the ones that they are pushing hard to sell. This PWO just happened to be an impulsive buy, because I ran out of my previous PWO and I needed something new to try.

Ingredients:

Each container comes with 45 servings, if you keep it at 1 scoop. I kept it at one scoop the whole way through.

Niacin 30 mg
    Vitamin B12 500 mcg
    Calcium 72 mg

Performix™ ION Preworkout Complex with exclusive Performix Terra Intelligent Dosing™ beadlets Sustained Muscular Performance Blend and Ballistic Energy Matrix† 3,714mg

Carnosyn® Beta-Alanine, Citrulline Malate 2:1, Betaine Anhydrous, Creatine HCl, N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine, Advantra Z® Bitter Orange (Citrus aurantium) Extract (fruit), [supplying Synephrine, N-Methyltyramine, Hordenine, Tyramine, and Octopamine], Bioperine® Black Pepper (Piper nigrum) Extract (fruit)[std. to 95% Piperine], Rauwolscine (Rauvolfia canescens) Extract (bark), [std. to 90% Alpha Yohimbine HCl]

Caffeine 175mg

So the biggest thing here is obviously the Blend, at which point you are not really sure how much of each ingredient you are receiving. Some people can see a problem with this, for me, it really wasnt, because of the kind of results I had from this product.

Performix ION touts that this PWO is different from the rest. A normal PWO, you take 30 minutes before your workout, you wait, it kicks in, an hour or so passes, it fades and fades and then, poof its gone just like that. Gone like a dude of a night of awesome sex with the girl in the morning.

ION uses the most advanced Multi-Phase Bead nutrient delivery system, precision engineered with ballistic Terra Intelligent Beads to disperse hard hitting ingredients in stages throughout your workout. Unlike any other pre-workout, ION releases a 2nd wave during your workout with a flood of additional anti-catabolic and metabolic energy stimulants to push you through. This innovative multi-phase system is designed to get you started, keep you going and finish strong when all others fail. - This statement is so true, on so many levels.

===========================================================
    Dosage: 10/10 - The dosing was pretty easy. I would throw in Agmantine for the pump about 20 minutes before my workout and it would kick steadily over time.

===========================================================

Effectiveness: 9/10 - This product exceeded all my expectations of a standard PWO product. As stated above, most PWO kick in and then just fade halfway into your workout, leaving you tired, and lethargic. The problem with this is, in the beginning of your workout, you are pushing some serious weight, but as the workout progresses you get slower and lazier and the weight and gains suffer.

The biggest thing that I saw with this product was the amount of energy I received, sometimes way into my 2hour workout. I mean it felt as if every 10 minutes a new small burst off energy was being released, allowing me to keep pushing the same weight, and sometimes actually heavier weights. As the time progressed, I noticed that I was actually getting more and more energy.

Furthermore, it helped me tremendously with my endurance. Even after a 2hour workout, jumping on a treadmill or a spin bike for a 20 minute HIIT workout, a point where one might find themselves winded, you dont. It almost feels like you just took a PWO product and you're getting ready to start your first set.

Pump : 0/10 - This product does not give any type of pump at all. Just pure energy.

Also it wasnt the kind of energy where sometimes you feel like you're bouncing off the walls. It was a steady feel good energy throughout the whole workout.

I was able to stay at 1 scoop the entire time, and never had to exceed the 1 scoop. The energy was the same on day 1 as it was on day 45.

===========================================================
    Value: 6/10 - This product can be pricey. The cheapest I found it was at around $50 minus the shipping, tax and all the extra goodies websites make you pay for. This is not a cheap PWO at all. BUT if youre looking for a steady release of energy this is def worth a try.

===========================================================

Overall: 8/10 - Even with the value being a 6, I think this deserves a solid 8 in my experience of this product. I would also like to let it be known, that I am a stim junkie, and I still felt this product do wonders for me. Would def recommend it to others to try if they have money to spare.
    • Feel Good Feeling
    bigmc
      February 22, 2015

Hey it's been awhile since I last reviewed a product, but honestly I haven't tried anything worth writing about for a couple months until this new pre workout from Performix.

----Ingredient Profile---- 9/10
    Performix™ ION Preworkout Complex† 3714.00 mg **
    N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine **
    Creatine HCl **
    CarnoSyn ® Beta-Alanine **
    Citrulline Malate 2:1 **
    BioPerine® Black Pepper (Piper nigrum) extract (fruit)[std. to 95% Piperine] **
    BetaPower Betaine Anhydrous **
    Advantra Z® Bitter Orange (Citrus aurantium) extract (fruit) [synephrine n-methyltryamine hordenine tryamine and octopamine] **
    Rauwolscine (Rauvolfia canescens) Extract (bark)[std. to 90% Alpha Yohimbine HCl] **
    Caffeine 175.00 mg

First let me explain how this pre workout works and what sets it apart. The guys over at Performix designed a time released pre workout, basically they use these little beads that will disperse the ingredentants throughout your workout leaving you with no mid workout crash. Now on to the actual profile creatine HCL is really nice to see over the typical monohydrate which required high glycemic carbs in order to absorb properly, Beta-alanine to help the fast twitch muscle fibers to fire more effectively(and give those cool tingles), citrulline malate 2:1 and yohimbine for the pumps, REALLY love the addition of synephrine(ephedra's little cousin) combined with caffeine for the energy.

Now I know a lot of you guys are clearly knowledgable about supplements and clinically effective doses. Some might be asking, but bro it's only a 4g blend surely it's underdosed. I kind of is I can't really say anything about that but like a lot of other review sites have been saying it really doesn't seem to effect the experience you get with this product. I would say a lot has to do with it's unique dispersal system. Basically it's a feel thing with this pre and trust me it really does deliver a powerful workout.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----10/10
    Taste is second to none, even beats out c4 in my mind. Mix ability is 100% fine, just use a shaker bottle and you'll be good to go. Dosing is simple just a single scoop is all you really need.

----Effectiveness----9/10
    This is where the product really shines. I would say take this 30 mins before the workout, it takes a little bit to really kick in. The mental focus really great, energy levels were amazing all throughout the workout(no mid workout crash), pumps were pretty solid too. Really not a single compliant on my part, it really helped make my workout better.

----Value----10/10
    45 servings for $49.99 is just a steal these days. Can't tell you how many 30-60 "serving" pre workouts I've purchased and ended up doing 2-3 scoops, spending like $2-$3 a workout. This comes out to be a modest $1.11 a serving.

----Side Effects----
    None really but I workout in the morning. I would probably not recommend taking this too late at night as it will probably keep you up.

----Overall----9.5/10
    Overall I would highly recommend trying this unique preworkout. If you're tired of those mid workout crashes than this guy is for you. Much better than the typical pre workouts I've tried, and trust me I've a lot of them. Uses high quality ingredients, maybe not in the highest doses but due to the unique delivery system it makes up for it. In the end it enhances your workout which is obviously the purpose of any pre workout.