L-Tyrosine Reviews

By: NOW

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA
L-Tyrosine is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by NOW. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

September 1, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Effective

My profession requires me to maintain a strict physical fitness standard and to perform at a competitive level in all aspects I need to be at my peak. As I get older it has gotten harder and harder to fluctuate between performing weights, L-Tyrosine in conjunction with L-Phenylalanine have worked wonders for me in many areas most importantly boosting my metabolism.

I am reviewing the Extra Strength version of Now Foods L-Tyrosine. The ingredient profile is cut and dry; 750mg of L-Tyrosine per pill. This is one of the reasons I like this product; L-Tyrosine is the only ingredient other than what they use to make the capsule. It says it is not manufactured with wheat, gluten, soy, milk, egg, fish, shellfish or tree nut ingredients but I can't say that it is free of it. I have Celiac and have had no problems and have been taking this for over a year.

Taste and Mixability are not applicable; unless you don't drink enough water and you burp up the capsule after it degrades half way down, then you might have a nasty taste, although I have not opened it and tasted it. The label reads take one capsule one to three times a day this is not very specific since the 500mg bottle says the same. Other research has shown the average dosage ranges from 500mg to 2000mg per day preferably 30-60 minutes before a workout. That same research states that it shouldn't become toxic until you go over 10g, which would be more than 13 pills. That would get expensive, and I don't see the point unless you start using it to treat a medical issue which is getting off the point. I started this dosing at 500mg once a day and grew to 1,500mg two times a day. My first 1,500mg I take prior to a morning workout and my second I take a couple hours after lunch. This has worked best for me.

I have taken L-Tyrosine for months if not over a year now. I have taken it with L- Phenylalanine the entire time (I will review this separately); equal amounts in this combination has worked best for me. Over the last couple of months money has been tight so to save I stopped replenishing my supplements. This gave me the opportunity to do somewhat of a cleanse and give my body a break from everything except Vitamin C and a Super B Complex. After a couple weeks of no supplements I bought a 750mg bottle of both L-Tyrosine and L-Phenylalanine because I needed to drop a little bit of weight. I took these two for a month (I feel it was important to include that no other supplements could have attributed to this effectiveness) and had found great success. I posted this review because I have found that these have increased my metabolism most importantly. As I said above I stopped all supplementation for a period of time. During that time my diet and exercise routine remained the same, while taking these two products I have found that it is much easier to keep fat off while not degrading muscle. This means I can effectively do less cardio and exercise and have the same result as the opposite while not taking these. I feel a significant boost in energy and willingness prior to and during a workout. I feel a mental calmness not necessarily worry free but more positive attitude related. This positive attitude and boosted energy drives me to perform and pushes me to get to the gym. I also feel much more alert and my memory recall has significantly increased.

Both have a great value, I shop at a particular vitamin store where the staff consistently under marks there products but when there out I can get them on Amazon for a comparable price of much less than $15 per bottle. $15 being the highest I have ever seen it the average is about $7-$9 each, all in all great value.

Side Effects

I have not experienced any side effects. The only side effects I have read about are 1) toxicity in ridiculous amounts but that goes for just about everything in too large of an amount and 2)Do Not Take this if you have Hyperthyroidism.

Conclusion

In conclusion I really like and stick to Now Foods for a lot of Vitamins, Minerals and Amino Acids. A lot of their products can be found on lab testing websites with an A rating on ingredients. Knowing for me that both L-Tyrosine and L- Phenylalanine work together with no other supplements in achieving my goal of ease in weight management with the benefit of increased mood and memory I will continue to use them along with my normal supplements.

October 16, 2011

Pros:
     Cons:
      I picked up a bottle of this stuff as a complement to St. John's Wort (which, compared to other supplements, has a lot of research behind it). Basically, when I was putting my order together, I read that L-Tryosine was a good complement to the Wort and when I checked the price, I figured $8 for a 60 day supply couldn't hurt.

Now, sixty days later, well, I'm just not sure what to say about this product. I took 2 caps (1000mg) a day between meals (as prescribed) along with 900mg of St. John's Wort. A few weeks after starting this regimen, I did indeed feel better. Seeing as I'm unemployed and taking care of a disabled family member, I'm not always in the best of spirits, but I noticed that once I started these taking these products my mood improved and I wasn't worrying (about the future, I guess) so much anymore. But was this the wort alone, or did L-Tyrosine have something to do with it, too?

Half-way through my supplementation, I decided to do a little experiment (so that I could properly review it later) to try and get a better sense which supplement was doing what, so I cycled them as such:

Week 1: (Continued) L-Tyrosine, St. John's Wort
      Week 2: Neither Wort nor Tyrosine
      Week 3: L-Tyrosine (alone)
      Week 4: St. John's Wort (alone)

What I found was that I definitely noticed that I was more stressed about minutiae in the second week when I stopped both and once I started the Wort again on the fourth week, my mood definitely improved. However, during the Tyrosine week, I had a hard time coming to any definite conclusions. I couldn't tell whether it was affecting my mood or not. And, of course, the other effects (healthy glandular function, etc.) are nearly impossible to quantify.

With that said, L-Tyrosine is cheap! In a perfect stack, I'd probably find a way to get this through another supplement (pre or intra?) since it's a pretty common ingredient in that sort of thing and skip taking the caps. They're a little inconvenient to take between meals when everything else goes with food. As usual, NOW is a great company with quality products. Given that I had a hard time measuring the effects of this particular supplement and considering the fact that I'm unemployed and every dollar matters, I'm going to drop L-Tyrosine for the moment and just focus on the basics.