(Better than 13% in Protein > Whey Protein)

Pro Jym is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Jym. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.
ARTICLES (2)

Protein > Whey Protein

May 16, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Profile
  • Transparent Blend
  • 3 Levels Of Digestion Speed
  • A Bit Pricey
  • Non-dairy Creamer
  • Corn Syrup

Pro Jym is a casein heavy blend protein with a transparent label for protein sources.

I used Pro Jym in both caloric deficit and surplus. I liked it more while I was cutting because the thicker powder kept me full a bit longer. I used this protein to meet my protein goals throughout the day, I never used it as a post workout supplement as I prefer using whey isolate post workout.

Jym's line is very transparent in labeling and I think the way the protein types are broken down here is very cool and something we should see more of in protein blends. The front of the tub shows the types of protein used and the amount of protein from each source.
1 Scoop of Pro Jym is either 140 or 150 calories depending on flavor. My review will be based on the Red Velvet Cake flavor which is 140 calories, these calories come from 3g of fat 5g of carbs and 24g of protein. Pro Jym also has 1g of sugar and 15mg of cholesterol. The protein is broken down to 7.5g whey protein isolate, 7g micellar casein, 2.5g egg albumin, and 7g milk protein isolate (5.5g casein, 1.5g whey). This blend is casein heavy with 50% of the total protein being micellar casein. I enjoy this blend for a protein to use throughout the day because it feels more like a meal replacement shake and can keep me fuller.
I really do not understand the inclusion of a non-dairy creamer in this protein. Especially because it contains milk protein already, and that creamer contains corn syrup sweeteners.

My taste and mixability review will be based on mixing one scoop with 8oz of water.
The taste was pretty bad. I have had the Red Velvet Cake and Root Beer Float flavors. The red velvet was incredibly bland, more of a vanilla than a red velvet, and even for a vanilla, it was really bad. I would have preferred a flavorless protein because that is pretty close to what this was.
The Root Beer Float flavor was somehow worse than the red velvet. The initial root beer flavor was fantastic, but the vanilla type of aftertaste was disgusting and left me not wanting to take another sip. I chugged every scoop of this protein because of the aftertaste.

Mixability was okay, it took a while and often required a blender ball. The powder would tend to get stuck under the cap which was annoying. The powder was also very sticky which could be annoying if you spill it.

I took one or two scoops a day depending on how many grams of protein I had that day. One scoop did keep me pretty full which is nice.

This product was pretty effective. It helped me reach my macros and kept me full. These two points are very important for a snack protein, but here is where it falls short for me. At 5g of carbs per scoop and 24g of protein, there are many other protein blends I can use that will help me meet my macros with fewer carbs. When my macro budget starts getting tight I might have to look elsewhere. The other factor that brought down the effectiveness is it does not help with carb or sweet cravings the way most proteins do, even most average protein flavors will help with this but the bland or just plain bad flavors of Pro Jym will not. I did not have any problems with bloating or GI distress from this product. I would love to find another protein that was this good at keeping me full just with less carbs and a decent flavor.

Pro Jym is available at 34.99 for a 2lb tub ($1.35/serving) or 56.98 for a 4lb tub ($1.10/serving). This is pretty pricey for a protein supplement, and a bit above average for a whey blend. You can get Pro-Antium (Ronnie Coleman Signature Series) or Select Protein (PES) for a better price per serving.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This protein had some good and some bad. At this price I would reccomend steering clear of Pro Jym.
  • Red Velvet Cake: 4/10
  • Root Beer Float: 2/10

March 7, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Profile
  • Tastes Good
  • Transparent Blend
  • Good Recovery
  • A Bit Pricey
  • Non-dairy Creamer
  • Misleading Label

Greetings SR! I took this product on my last deployment along with the rest of the Jym stack. I was convinced to do Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Size and figured might as well go with the good Doc's own sups since I was doing his program and had very few expenses while deployed. Let's go over how this protein held up.

Calories from Fat 25

Protein Blend
Whey protein isolate: 7.5g
Micellar casein: 7g
Egg albumin: 2.5g
Milk protein isolate: 7g (5.5g casein, 1.5g whey)
Coconut-Based Creamer (Coconut Oil, Maltodextrin, Food Starch, Mono- and Diglycerides, Tricalcium Phosphate)
Natural Flavors
Gum Blend (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan)
Salt
Vanilla Bean Particulates
Sucralose
Acesulfame Potassium
Silicon Dioxide
Sunflower Lecithin

Looking at the ingredients first, do I need a creamer in here? Probably not, but since protein shakes are better when you actually want to drink them, I'm fine with it in here. The rest is pretty standard fare, there are a few ingredients that some people are not totally happy with in their shakes (Ace-K, Sucralose) but I have no issues with some artificial ingredients as long as they are pretty well researched. For the protein, we're looking at just over half Casein and most of the rest isolate (just a touch of egg). I like this split of short and long digesting proteins.

For the nutritional info, again not too much to say here, its fairly standard for a blended protein at 140 calories and nothing here gives me pause.

I got the standard vanilla (Jym is calling it Tahitian Vanilla Bean) and it was on the better side of vanillas that I have tasted in protein shakes, not overly sweet but a creamy taste and texture. Mixibility was pretty good, I'm assuming from the creamer and the dosing of the ingredients is about right for a protein shake. I generally prefer slightly higher dosing of protein (the 30g from Pro-Antium comes to mind) but this is pretty much the standard so its hard to fault Jym for that.

Its a protein shake, it has protein, that's what its supposed to do. In addition to helping to hit my macros for the day, the shake also did help to decrease my DOMS (at least it did so when combined with the rest of the stack). Other than those two things, that's the bulk of what I am looking for from my shakes. As an aside, it did keep me moderately full, something in between a straight whey and a full casein and that logically followed.

Don't get me wrong, this is a solid protein, but its danged expensive for a fairly standard protein shake. At the time of writing this review, bodybuilding has the 4 lb tub for $57, which makes it $1.10 a serving. If you wanted an almost identical blend, you could simply use half a scoop of isolate and half a scoop of micellar casein together and your paying about .45 cents. I pulled those numbers from my recent order from MyProtein of both products (5.5 lb bags).
Also, other blends are much cheaper per serving, and with other add-ins such as creatine. If you need to know what types of protein you are getting fro your blends and you don't mind the non-dairy creamer, this can be a good protein but from a strictly value standpoint, its hard to justify except for the convenience.

Side Effects

None noticed, I tend not to have too many issues with gas from protein powders however so your mileage may vary.

Conclusion

7.4/10

All in all, Jym makes for a pretty dang good protein. The clear protein source and type breakdown is something that I wish was far more common than we get right now in the supplement world. Unfortunately, the value for the dollar just isn't there for me. I would definitely recommend the product overall, but I think its more of a premium that isn't required and at the price point, there might be better options.

As an aside, this should be in the blend category and not the why category, if anything its casein heavy.
  • Tahitian Vanilla Bean: 8/10

May 13, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Great
  • Good Profile
  • Tastes Good
  • Transparent Blend
  • A Bit Pricey

I lift 5-6 days a week and will typically drink 2-3 shakes of Protein a day. I have become a fan of Jym products recently with their high quality ingredients and transparency on their labels. This was the first blended protein I tried vs using Whey and Casein. Of note, this falls under WHEY Protein on the site, when it should be under Blended.

Overall you get 24g of Protein per scoop. The Protein breakdown is 7.5g Whey Protein Isolate, 7g Micellar Casein, 7g Milk Protein Isolate, and 2.5g Egg White Protein. So that breaks down to 50% Whey, 40% Casein, and 10% egg proteins. Each scoop also contains 140 calories, which is not too bad in my opinion. As always with Jym products, all ingredients are listed out on the label (see included pictures) and each ingredient is of high quality (at least it always feels that way with the results and taste). The ingredients here are pretty standard for a blend, and there is nothing that makes it Stand out from the rest. I took a look at Ronnie Colemans Pro Antium, and it contains 5g of Creatine, and ingredients like that make it stand out from the competition.

Taste: So I tried two flavors while running my last stack, they were Cookies n Cream and Red Velvet Cake. The Cookies n Cream was INSANE, and was the best tasting protein I have ever had. I only had 2lbs of it and loved it so much I went ahead and ordered 4lbs of Red Velvet Cake. I love all things Red Velvet, and this was disappointing. I am not sure why I thought a Protein and Red Velvet Cake should be a great combo, but I learned my lesson. It was not great, it was not bad, it was just bland, but very drinkable. It did not knock my socks off like Cookies n Cream.

Mixability: The directions recommend 6-12oz water per scoop. I tried it with around 8-10oz at first, and found that it was clumpy at the bottom still. I used between 12-16oz of water on average, and had no issues with clumping or bottom residue. So, my advice is to use a minimum of 12oz water.

Dosing: I used one scoop upon wakeup, which was also my Pre workout, since I workout first thing in the morning. I used another scoop post workout. The directions recommend one scoop upon wakeup, one scoop pre workout, one scoop post workout, and one scoop before bed. It also states you can use 1-2 scoops between meals. I supplement my protein between meals with a Protein Bar, or more recently a Lenny & Larry Cookie. So nothing out of the ordinary here, just use as normal.

Ok, so disclaimer here is i used this protein in a stack with a multivitamin, fish oil, creatine, PWO, and BCAAs. I did end up gaining around 8 pounds of lean muscle in 6.2 lbs of use of this protein, which took around 38 days. I was on a new workout program as well that does more lifting than I am used to and I did not do any cardio due to previous injuries. So there are obviously a lot of factors at play here, but what I can say is this Protein did its job. I did not lose weight and this protein truly did supplement my diet, but getting my clean, quality protein first thing in the morning and post workout, when it is truly important. I imagine everyone has a hard time reviewing protein and saying, Yes, this did the job by itself, but it did not do anything negative. So if you are looking to give this a shot, you should, its good, quality protein.

This becomes one of the biggest sticking points of the product. I got 2lbs of Cookies n Cream from BB.com in a stack for $29.54, so thats roughly 25 servings, and comes out to $1.18 per serving. I then bought 4lb of Red Velvet Cake flavor from Amazon for $55.06, roughly 50 servings, coming out to about $1.10 per serving. So buying in bulk really only saves you 8 cents per serving, a couple bucks essentially. Comparing this to Ronnie Colemans Pro Antium, the price is about the same, but as i said in ingredients at least Pro Antium has stand out ingredients such as Creatine, to make it a little more bang for your buck rather than standard proteins. If you were to use the recommended servings per day, about 4, this product would not last long at all. So, yes this is expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Side Effects

None at all.

Conclusion

Overall, this Protein Blend did its job. There is nothing included in this blend that makes it stand out from the rest, its your basic ingredients of a blended protein. This feels of high quality, and is pretty expensive. I would recommend this product if your looking for a high quality blended protein and you had some extra money to burn. I will likely go back to Whey Protein Isolate and Casein proteins after this, and likely will not try this again unless there is a great deal out there!
  • Cookies and cream: 10/10
  • Red Velvet Cake: 6/10

Overall
(SR paid for product; Jym did not participate)
  December 22, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Good
  • Produced In GMP Facility
  • 3 Levels Of Digestion Speed
  • Misleading Label
  • Massive Amounts Of Processing Chemicals
  • Corn Syrup
  • Slightly Expensive

Claims

---------------
Energy, Recovery, Growth

Ingredients

----------
Big props to the full disclosure here, but Dr. Jim's creativity can be a little confusing and possibly misleading. If you are like me, the first thing you do when researching a new supplement is read the supplement facts and ingredients on the label. A protein powder is quite simple as the ingredients are usually very straight forward. Protein quality being of utmost importance, I always steer clear of inferior whey concentrates if I can. On the flip side, I am happy if the first ingredient listed is whey isolate as I assume it makes up the majority of what's in the tub. Pro Jym Protein blend does exactly that. Whey isolate first, casein second, milk isolate third, egg fourth. BOOM! Done and good, right? Wrong! See how milk isolate got tucked in there? Here comes Dr. Jim's creative side.

The front label states:
7.5g protein isolate
7g Micellar casein
7g Milk Protein Isolate
2.5g Egg white Protein

All ducks in a row here. 1,2,3 and 4, just like the ingredient list.

Now flip the tub around. The back label states in rather small print that the 7g of milk protein breaks down into 1.5g whey and 5.5g casein. So this changes the actual protein count to:

9 g Isolate Protein
12.5g Micellar casein
2.5g Egg white Protein

This clearly makes this a casein heavy product at 52% of the protein blend followed by my beloved isolate at 38%. Leaving egg to make up the final 10% of this 24g protein blend.

Ok Ok perhaps im nitpicking here, but in my mind if you're going to go on a pedestal and be honest about your lack of amino spiking and list everything down to the tenth of a gram, then you should be equally honest about the product breakdown. My thought is if you can't be totally upfront 100% then what else are you hiding? Corn syrup sweetners perhaps? Ooooops yup folks. It's in here as well. Nestled firmly in the nondairy creamer. This brings up another point: Why in the hell do we need nondairy creamer in our protein? Isn't all that milk protein making it creamy enough? I don't ever recall a doctor telling someone they needed more nondairy creamer in their diet, especially where muscle building is concerned. Seriously dumbfounded.

Taste / Mixing

------
Pro Jym Protein comes in 4 flavors:
Cookies and cream, S'mores, Vanilla and the flavor I received, Chocolate cookie crunch. This protein blend mixed very well with milk in shaker cup. Flavor wise I have to admit I was a little disappointed. This flavor choice had me hoping for Pro-Antium, but instead I wound up with an average Optimum with a few cookie bits thrown in for texture.

As everyone's dietary needs and goals are different, I don't usually mention dosing times with protein, however, I thought Dr. Jim's recommendations were too ridiculous not to include:

"Consume 1 scoop within 30 minutes before workouts, and 1 scoop within 30 minutes after workouts. Also consider taking 1 scoop when you first wake up each day and before going to bed for maximizing lean muscle mass gains. You can also
consume 1 scoop between regular meals."

So for me, someone who wants to maximize muscle protein synthesis, my protein schedule would like this:

1 Wake up shake
2 Between breakfast and lunch shake
3 Pre-workout shake
4 Post-workout shake
5 Bedtime shake

Five servings of Pro Jym a day! Hmmm..
Is that really what's best for me Doc?

----------------
Pricing is surprisingly not too harsh even though this is a Bodybuilding.com exclusive product. At the time of this writing, a 2 pound tub of Pro Jym containing 23 servings costs $32.56. ($1.41 per serving) Meanwhile a 4 pound tub can be had for $55.06 and brings your per serving cost down to $1.20. A little high considering casein is usually cheaper than isolate, but maybe egg and nondairy creamer are more expensive than I'm aware of. Keep in mind that if you follow the good doctor's recommended dosage schedule, you'd burn through a 4 pound tub in 9 days. Dr. Jim does state that this is how to build muscle like a pro. Really? All protein and no carbs? Guess everything we've learned can be tossed out the window. I mean come on folks! This is doctor approved so it must be true! (insert "oh brother" rolly eye emoji here)

-------
I have always been a believer in the benefits of different paced protein digestion rates. My usual post-workout routine is to mix an isolate with a casein and with Pro Jym, it is done for me with some egg protein to boot. The main idea with this blend is having the isolate for fast digesting needs, the egg for medium digestion followed by the slow digester casein. It's a pretty well thought out blend that fits and perhaps even succeeds my normal daily macro needs.

However, did it help with recovery and growth?
Science would indicate yes, but I was using a natural testbooster at the same time as this product and my weekly body composition readings indicated no pro level muscle growth. Then again, I didn't use it 5 times a day like a low carb weight gainer either. (is there even such a thing?) Perhaps I should have just blindly listened to Dr. Jim. Sigh..

-----------

Side Effects

---------
No negative gastrointestinal issues to speak of.

-----------

Final Words

---------
Huge thanks to SR's Admin Tommy for picking up several products from the JYM lineup for the SR TROOPs to test out.

To BodyBuilding.com I say:
"Stop being such a control freak with your exclusive products and get some honest reviews out in the open!"

I realize I may have been overly critical of Dr. Jim. Due to personal reasons I am always leery of people who toss their doctorate degree in your face in the name of making money from the uneducated minions of the world. Remember: 4 out of 5 dentists recommend.. you know the rest. Toss onto the pile an endless bombardment of 10 minute commercials from big pharma that spend more time telling you about the possible negative sides than the benefit of the drug itself. I'm sure there are several so called "doctors" behind these questionable drugs and your health is obviously not nearly as concerning as your willingness to toss some greenbacks their way. Just keep watching the cute cartoons you mindless idiots and ignore the possible threat of increased risk of suicide or internal bleeding followed by death.

Fortunately for the smart consumer, the world market has changed. Doctor's don't hold all the information anymore and we don't have to take their word as gospel. We've all heard the big claims from supplement manufacturers and Dr. Jim is no different than the rest. However, if you really want to follow the hype and try a well thought out protein blend, give this a shot. You could do worse. Assuming you can personally get past the massive amount of included processing chemicals, that is.

March 31, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Great
  • Good Recovery
  • Good Profile
  • Exclusive Retailer
  • A Bit Pricey

(Background info on yourself, diet, experience, goals, first thoughts on the product and how you discovered SR)

Alright SR guys and gals.
this is my first review so bear with me. I've been lifting consistently for the past year and all the supplements I've taken in that time are about to have an evaluation. I usually enjoy taking Isolates just due to their low carb nature and my nature of cycling carbs frequently. Although Pro Jym brings 8g of carbs with it, I decided to trust Jim Stoppani PhD knows what he is doing. I'm currently working on my PhD in Broscience so soon enough I will not rely on Jim and his supps.

(Your thoughts on the ingredients/label of the product)

Alright, so obv I bought this from BB.com I thought the ingredient profile was pretty good 9/10

BB.com claims :
"The 24 grams of protein in each scoop of Pro JYM contain the following:

Whey Protein Isolate: 7.5g
Micellar Casein: 7g
Egg Albumin: 2.5g
Milk Protein Isolate: 7g (5.5g Casein, 1.5g Whey)"

Seems like a good profile considering you're getting your fast digestive Isolates as well as Casein which will be slowly absorbed by your body.
Also Jim is firmly against Amino Spiking which is mentioned on the web, so according to BB.com youre getting pure protein without all the amino spiking, which I think is great.

I had the S'mores flavor and mixed it with water. I think it was one of the best protein flavors I've tried. A bit chalky in the texture but nothing to worry about. Mixed well with water or Almond Milk. Dosing is simple one scoop post workout. I quite enjoyed drinking it. 9/10

To be quite honest I've felt as if it was just doing its job as any other high quality protein would. Once i ran out and my next order hasn't come in I did experince a bit more soreness for a couple of days, but perhaps I should have just ate a chicken breast after lifting. 8/10

Ok being a stingy guy who pays for all his supps, and unfortunately Uncle Sam doesn't give me any supplement allowances, I usually try to get all my stuff on sale or a good deal. At 53.99 for 45 servings ( the bb.com bag says 47 but the bag said 45) you end up paying around 1.20$ a serving. Which is kinda high IMO when you can get ON Gold Standard from BB.com at .81$ a serving. 7.5/10

Side Effects

None 10/10

Conclusion

I really enjoyed taking the supplement and I'm sure that if I had more funds I'd keep on taking it as it is a good product at a premium price. Jim Stoppani knows what ingredients are good and how to make them benefit your body the most. If I ever have a couple of extra dollars laying around I'll re-order, until then ill stick to finding better deals on other high quality proteins.

Overall
Overall
9.5
  February 24, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Transparent Blend
  • Taste Great
  • Exclusive Retailer
Everyone seems to start off with the same protein from the stories in the gym. Optimum, they're well known, respected and tried and true. But as you learn more about supplements and nutrition you discover a blend of protein is best for constant fuel to your muscles. Jim Stoppani brings us Pro Jym, one of four protein companies to use an actual percentage to their costumer instead of a hidden blend. I believe four but could be wrong so don't quote me on that! Anyway, on to my review of one of my top proteins.

Ingredient Profile 10/10

You can't get much better when it comes to this ingredient profile. The macros may seem a little bit high at 160 calories per scoop. But keep in mind this is because Pro Jym uses a blend instead of strictly whey/isolate

Pro Jym breaks down the percentage of each protein available to you.
Whey Protein Isolate: 7.5g
Micellar Casein: 7g
Egg Albumin: 2.5g
Milk Protein Isolate: 7g (5.5g Casein, 1.5g Whey)

You get 24grams total in a single scoop. With whey, casein,egg and milk you get a spike post training along with a constant feed of protein/aminos. Research now shows that when you add medium/slow digesting protein to whey, muscle protein synthesis conquers much longer then just whey alone. Jim always uses science to back his claims and does not bs feed the consumer, it's one of the must trusted brands available.

Taste/Mixability/Dosing 9.5/10

I've yet to be disappointed in any flavor. 2lb and 4lb bags come in chocolate cookie crunch, smores, cookies and cream and vanilla. Mostly a twist on the standard flavors and more options certainly need to be added in the future. I do have a love/hate relationship with the marshmallow and cookie bits because they taste so good but can make your shaker cup a pain to clean at times. It has a thicker consistency then standard whey and you benefit with better taste imo.

Effectiveness 10/10

Hard to knock effectiveness of any protein, unless amino spiking is found. You can rest assure Pro Jym has no amino spiking and all BCAA are naturally occurring.

Value 9/10

With the premium ingredients of course you may a premium price. The Jym line is exclusive to Bodybuilding.com which needs to change to create price competition for the consumer to have more options. A 2lb bag comes in at $31.92 and the 4lb option $53.98 respectively. Yes not the cheapest option but some of the cheapest also come with what you don't want in your protein. The term you get what you pay for in this sense truly implies

Conclusion

Pro Jym is easily in my top 5 of proteins. With the added fact of a protein blend broken down to the exact amount it's nothing but a bonus for the consumer. The taste are great with 4 options currently. I'm not the biggest fan of bags for storage but nothing can be done about that and it's truly preference. With the premium price comes premium taste and ingredients. You'll be hard pressed to find many protein powders to compete head to head against Pro Jym.