(Better than 91% in Protein > Whey Protein)

Elite Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Dymatize Nutrition. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Protein > Whey Protein

April 10, 2018

• Tastes Great

Introduction & Quick Summary

Hello SR and Dymatize! I would like to thank you for your patience and support. I will be reviewing Dymatize Elite Whey. This is a whey protein blend with a pretty clean macro profile. 2.5g Fat, 3g Carbs and 25g of protein.

You will find that Elite Whey will provide you with concentrate, isolate and hydrolyzed concentrate. You can assume that Elite Whey contains more of the first listed type of protein, in this case whey concentrate which is about 80% protein. Whey isolate is about 92% protein.

Now what is hydrolyzed protein? It is protein that has been exposed to heat or enzymes that break down the amino acid bonds.
    What happens when this is done? It makes the protein faster digesting but the down side of this is the taste is affected and can make the protein slightly bitter.

Taste/Mixability

I received the Snickerdoodle flavor and I really enjoyed it. I will not that I didn't get too much of a cookie flavor but more of a Vanilla and cinnamon combo. Mixability was good, I did notice that there was always some light sediment of what seemed to be cocoa powder. This is not something that a good ol' swish and sip couldn't fix.

Overall Elite Whey is very tasty and not overly sweet.

Dosing & Effectiveness

I typically used Elite Whey as a snack in between meals. I actually took my tub to work about half way through the tub as I was having trouble packing an evening snack. This helped kill that craving I would get because I am staring at mini size candy bars most of the day. I would also fill a 32oz container with ice and 4oz of water and 1 scoop of this for a post workout shake if I didn't have my serving earlier. I tried to limit my use of Elite to one serving per day.

When used as a snack (3pm-4pm) I noticed myself not be as hungry before my workout (5:30) and even after on my way home.

Now when used as a post workout shake, I was able to go home and hang out wait for the wife to finish cooking up dinner without reaching in the panty and eating garbage. Now if I didn't have it 80% chance I was snacking on something I should have been. Again this was a time in my recent life where I lost track of how much food/calories I was eating.

You can buy a 2lb tub of Elite Whey for about $20 dollars from Amazon. It is a right around the .80 cents per serving ball park as this tub will yield you 25 servings.

Side Effects

No notable side effects.

Conclusion

I think Dymatize has done a good job with putting Elite Whey together. It was effective and very tasty, my stomach and cravings where well taken care of all while having good value. Thank you Again Dymatize and SR for the opportunity to try Elite Whey.
    • Snickerdoodle: 8/10

Other Prices:
    AllStarHealth   $22.39
    Best Price Nutrition   $25.99
    Fitness First USA   $54.99

February 27, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Great Bcaa Profile
    • Tastes Good
    • Nothing At All

I had the opportunity to review Elite 100% Whey from Dymatize. I am crazy late on it so sorry to the company for that. I feel like every time I have some stuff to review my life blows up in my face. Not in a bad way, just a busy way. The good news is that I did enjoy this protein supplement from Dymatize and I will talk a little bit about why below. Thanks to Dymatize and SR as always.

Elite 100% Whey has a pretty straightforward ingredient profile. Each scoop comes in at 140 calories with 2g fat, 4g carbs (only 2 of which are sugar) and 25g of protein. Within this you get 5.5g of BCAAs and 2.7g of L-Leucine. The other ingredients listed contain your typical things, like blend details (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate and Hydrolized Whey Protein Concentrate), cocoa powder, natural and artificial colors, salt gum blend, etc. I appreciate them listing these items, but I do feel Nutrabio has set the bar with breaking down each and every ingredient with the amount contained. All in all this is a solid protein supplement profile. I do always prefer as little sugar as possible, but at 2g I guess I am splitting hairs.

I asked to try the Cookies and Cream flavor, which is usually my favorite flavor among protein supplements. Elite 100% Whey did not leave me disappointed. The flavor was pretty darn good. The chocolate drained out the cookies and cream a little bit, but I think they were still pretty on point with the flavoring. I mainly dosed this 1 or 2 scoops post workout. The mixability was average. When mixing it with a small amount of milk and water in a shaker bottle, I rarely was able to achieve a 100% smooth texture. No sediment was left at the bottom when I finished drinking.

As we all always say, effectiveness can be tough to describe in great detail with a protein supplement. What I will highlight are the things I noticed the most when drinking it. Number one, it was extremely filling, especially at 2 scoops. I actually enjoyed this because it made it easy to spread out post protein shake and next meal. I felt really content for an hour or two in terms of hunger level after drinking Elite 100% Whey. Number 2, it always sat very well in my gut. Never had any bathroom sprints or protein farts later in the day. Lastly, I definitely noticed improved recovery after workouts. The BCAA and Leucine surely aided in this.

I found this on Amazon for as low as 19.99 with available 3 dollar coupons as well. This is for the 2lb container which is what I got, and it contains 25 scoops. When you get under a dollar per scoop for a good protein supplement, I can get on board with that.

Side Effects

No side effects at all, which is very important with protein!

Conclusion

Overall, I think Dymatize did a great job with Elite 100% Whey. I like the new packaging and I like how I felt when drinking this stuff. At a good price point, I can safely recommend this product to someone looking for some good quality protein. Once again, sorry for the delay in getting this review up and thank you very much to Dymatize for sending it my way!
    • Cookies and Cream: 8/10

January 18, 2018

• Tastes Great
    • Clumps Sometimes
    • Settles At The Bottom When Mixing

I've had Dymatize Elite Whey throughout the years... but never had the chance to try Snickerdoodle. This one is more my type of flavor and was grateful to get a shot at this one through the TROOPs program.

34g scoop
    25g Whey Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Concentrate)
    Soy Lecithin
    Natural & Artificial Flavors
    Cinnamon Powder
    Salt
    Gum Blend (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan)
    Acesulfame Potassium
    Sucralose
    Steviol Glycosides (Stevia)

Apologies for the bias... but I love this flavor. Only issue being it's not one of the absolute best cinnamon/sugar based flavors... probably the bottom of the top handful on the list. Being on that list alone makes it great in my book though. What causes the taste to suffer is the artificial sweetness comes out a bit too much. The comparison would be with Gaspari Precision Protein Cinnamon Cereal Crunch, which nails the sweetness perfectly.

Mixability is normal for a whey blend. With cold water and having the whole powder heap on top, there's some little lumps with the quick shake up. That doesn't mean you HAVE to use warmer water though. Shake a little more or submerge more of the powder in the water before shaking. Using 8oz of water could end up allowing settling over time. I recommend sticking with 6oz per scoop for ideal flavor.

As a whey blend from one of the industry's most commonplace brands, it performs as expected. Because there's whey concentrate, there might be a bit of gas depending on your individual gut. My body hadn't shown signs of a protein shortage as I took two or three scoops per day to round out my daily intake.

The standard price these days, as with most 2lb containers of a whey blend, is $29.99. This is the standard of comparison. There are deals all the time that could see the price point dip down the $20 range... which is worth it for your choice flavor.

Side Effects

Not lactose free

Conclusion

It was very cool to finally try this flavor and stack it up against the others. If you're fond of cinnamon-centric flavors, this is a definite option. I'm a deal chaser and wouldn't pay a full $30 for this, but eyes are open to get a chance at a decent deal. This is just another piece in Dymatize keeping their longstanding place in the market, even while Iso-100 has seen much more promotion lately at Elite Whey's expense. Elite Whey is still an option and I hope it stays that way.

Thanks for the time
    As usual: thoughts, comments, questions and critique are all welcome
    • Snickerdoodle: 8/10

January 12, 2018

• Tastes Good

First off a very big thank you to Dymatize for sending me their Elite 100% Whey to review! I am a 27 year old firefighter from Ohio. My main fitness goals are to maintain a solid shape for my profession and to build quality muscle mass / strength.

To start off each dose contains 140 calories, 2 grams of fat, 3 grams of carbs, and 25 grams of protein. The protein is provided in a proprietary blend called "Whey Protein Blend". Unfortunately we do not know how much protein each source provides but they do list the sources in the blend. The sources are Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, and Hydolyzed Whey Protein Concentrate. In my opinion the whey protein isolate is the best source and it is second most in this product. With that being said Dymatize does have 100% Iso protein if that interests you. I think this is a good protein profile for a more affordable protein option.

The flavor I received was Snickerdoodle. This flavor is fantastic. It tastes exactly like a snickerdoodle cookie we all have eaten and enjoyed! I was really impressed with how closely they matched the flavor. It definitely a treat every time you make one of these shakes. I always used milk when mixing and it always mixed up perfectly in a blender bottle. I never had any clumps or residue left at the bottom after shaking. The dosing seemed perfect with a dose being one scoop. One scoop was 36 grams and it was an average sized scoop. With 25 grams of protein per serving they definitely gave you enough.

I found this product be an effective protein supplement for a few reasons. First off its a super easy way to add 25 grams of protein whenever you need it throughout the day. Makes it really easy to hit your protein macro. Secondly I think it definitely help me see the results I did during my use. I didn't have any massive muscle increase but I did notice I became a bit more defined while remaining at my same weight. The recovery was always good while using this product as well. Plus it definitely helps you keep that sweet tooth at bay. This seems like a great product for anyone trying to maintain weight and muscle size or trying to add more protein into their diet.

The lowest price I found the 2 pound tub I received was at allstarhealth.com for $24. Each 2 pound tub contains 25 servings. That breaks down to about .96 cents per serving. Personally I find to be quite a good deal for the quality of product you receive.

Side Effects

I did not experience any negative side effects while using this product.

Conclusion

Well to conclude Dymatize gets a big thumbs up from me on this one. Between the price, quality, effectiveness and taste I was very pleased. I definitely recommend this protein. I can definitely see myself using this protein again in the future. I thank you again Dymatize and look forward to reviewing your future products!!
      • Snickerdoodle: 9/10

December 16, 2017

• Good Protein Ratio
      As always I got to give it up to the companies that participate and contribute to the TROOPs, so a big thanks going out to Dymatize for the hook up on this product.

Dosage

1 scoop usually taken post-workout, and first thing in the morning on non-training days.

Ingredient Profile (7.5/10)

This product is a whey protein blend that utilizes 3 different types of whey protein: concentrate, isolate, and hydrolyzed concentrate. This product is very similar to ON Gold Standard Whey and often draws comparisons to it. Unlike Gold Standard though, this product is primarily whey concentrate which to some may be a turn off. However though, concentrate doesn't necessarily mean poorer quality. Concentrate can range from anywhere from 30% to 80% protein, and given that there is 25 grams of protein per 34 gram scoop you have a 73.5% protein ratio, which is still very high and tends to suggest a higher quality concentrate is used. Add in the fact that there is only 2 grams of fat and 3 grams of carbs in each scoop, you end up with a very respectable profile overall. The only downfall to the concentrate base really is that each scoop has 70mg of cholesterol, which is 23% of the daily value of a 2000 calorie diet.

Mixture (9/10)

This product was very simple and easy to mix up. Just a few shakes in a standard shaker and it was good to go with no lumps or clumps.

Taste (6/10)

I got the cookies and cream flavor in this product, which is normally my favorite flavor and go to flavor for protein. This version however I found to be rather bland and dull. It wasn't necessarily awful or unpleasant, but I was definitely disappointed in the taste. Easily the worst rendition of cookies and cream I have tried to date in a protein.

Effectiveness (8/10)

In my opinion a protein powder should never be looked on as anything more than a simple building block in a complete nutritional profile and not something to be overly leaned on. It can also be utilized as a catalyst and starting point in post-workout recovery too though. Even though I tend to go more for protein blends nowadays for post workout this product still delivered as far as recovery goes in my opinion. Concentrate tends to be more of a complete protein as it isn't overly processed and in danger of becoming denatured in the process. 24-25 grams has become the unofficial "Industry Standard" for protein content, and given it's good protein ratio this product is solid in my eyes.

Value (8.5/10)

Due to this product being widely available, there are good competitive prices on it. The best price I found was on Amazon at $41.62 (Chocolate Flavor) for a 5lb tub with 63 scoops, or 66 cents per serving. You can easily find this in the 45-ish dollar range for a 5 lb tub which makes it a good deal on a good protein.

Conclusion and Verdict

While it's not an isolate based protein like other popular options out there, Dymatize Elite Whey still delivers a quality protein at a good price, and makes it a good and viable option for an everyday whey protein. The only true downfall is the flavor as I found it to be a letdown, but other than that it's a decent protein with a good ratio that mixes well. Overall I give it a thumbs up and Shinndigg Seal of Approval!

September 15, 2016

• Tastes Good
      • Price Can Be Somewhat High Depending On The Frequency Of Usage.
      • There Is More Effective Protein Out There

Protein supplements are so variable in their effectiveness and actual protein content that is hard to find one you can stick with that will always work. When trying to recover as much as possible RIGHT AFTER a workout, an isolate is the absolute BEST, for me, to achieve the recovery I need. This protein does do what a whey protein is intended to do, but what makes it different from the rest is the awesome taste and the other included ingredients (BCAA and glutamine).

25 g of Protein

Whey Protein Isolate -- Isolates are more rapidly absorbed than concentrates and create a more profound insulin response, this is most important for your post-workout shake. Generally contain 90-96% protein.

Whey protein concentrate -- usually contains more lactose and fat, is more slowly absorbed, and contains about 70-80% of protein. Concentrate is the type of protein that you can take throughout the day and it will work in your body for an extended period of time. Good concentrates contain high levels of growth factors and also higher levels of bioactive lipids and phospholipids. These products, in addition to others, can increase a person's immunity and intestinal health.

Hydrolyzed Protein - this protein has been broken down partially in peptide of different lengths. Due to this it is absorbed faster, but unfortunately research has not proven this protein to be beneficial to athletes.

BCAAs (5.5g)-- beneficially influence muscle. Three amino acids (leucine, isoleucine, and valine) can promote muscle synthesis and increase muscle growth over time. In some athletes BCAAs may also decrease fatigue.

L- Leucine (2.7g) -- activator of the protein mTOR, which induces muscle protein synthesis. It is effective at preserving lean mass from being broken down. This is an effective BCAA to grow lean muscle mass and is suggested to be most effective at increasing muscle protein synthesis after meals.

Glutamine (4g) -- most common amino acid found in your muscles. Glutamine's key roles exist in protein metabolism, cell volumizing, decreases your body's catabolic state, and increases your ability to secrete HGH. This amino acid is especially important for those of you who are "cutting down". Great little statistic about gluatmine: Studies show that 2 grams of glutamine may increase your growth hormones by over 400%.

Taste: One of, if the not the best, tasting protein supplements I have experienced. I only like chocolate protein flavors so that is all I am comparing to, but of all the different brands I have tried over the years this is by far most enjoyable to drink after my workout.

Mixability: Love that this protein does not clump or settle in the bottom of the shaker cup. Depending on how much "watery" taste you like will depend on the amount of liquid used. This product recommends 5-6 oz of water or milk, but for me that's too little. Like I have stated before, I use water with all my protein supplements and I am an advocate of using more liquid than recommended.

Dosing: In the 5 lb tub 1 scoop is about 36 grams with servings per container being 63. This dosing actually worked really well for me and lasted me almost 2 months based on my workout schedule of 5 days per week and at least 1 scoop everyday. Most days I supplemented protein shakes with natural protein from chicken and other meats, so I did not feel the need to use 2 scoops.

Protein's main job is to bring the body back from a catabolic state to an anabolic state after your workout, this protein is good, not great, at doing so. Over a period of about 2 months I took this protein nearly everyday. I did not notice any increase in muscle size, but I did notice that the next day there was no aching and "moaning" from a hard workout the previous day. It was most effective at allowing me to recover from cardiovascular workouts. In my hypertrophy phase I played various sports to lose weight, the main being basketball. For anyone who plays you know that it takes a lot out of your legs and uses so much energy to keep you going for 2+ hours. With carb and fat stores hitting all time lows on those days this protein made me feel rejuvenated and ready to go the next day. I needed a protein that would have a little more fat in it, so that is why I chose to go with this type of protein with a blend that includes whey concentrate. I also would like to state that I am lactose intolerant so the idea that whey concentrate has more lactose and may bother people's stomach is a myth. It did not cause any stomach issues or anything of that sort.

The value of this protein is about equal to all other major brand's 5 lb tubs around $55. This works out to be about $0.87/serving. You can also get the 2lb (26 servings) tub for about $29 on most sites, this works out to be $1.12/serving. For those who like to buy protein in bulk they also have a 10 lb tub. This is around 133 servings for $93 which is $0.70/serving.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall, the decision to take one brand over another, or a type of protein over the other is based on your personal goals. Each type of protein is directed toward different health goals, so if your looking to lean out and want something that is immediate I would suggest an isolate; Dymatize ISO-100 tends to be a popular choice from this brand. If you are looking for something you can take before and after your that has a little more substance I would go with this product. I know that I have stated a lot of pros to this product, but there are some things I did not like. The main being, it took two 5lb tubs to notice a difference. I have experience a faster results from other proteins, but I guess protein is not meant to just be a one and done deal. I give this product an overall of 8/10 for the lengthy time it took to give me good results.

June 12, 2014

• Low Carb
      Dymatize is known for their quality, and 100% Elite Whey is no exception. I need a gluten-free protein supplement, and Dymatize is one of the few companies that provides this. Here are my impressions:

NUTRITIONAL PROFILE: One of the best. Very clean formula, excellent protein:serving ratio, and low fat & carb

MIXIBILITY: No need for a shaker cup. Mixes cleanly with just a glass and spoon with relatively few clumps

COST: Great value, as the per-serving cost is less than $1.00

EFFECT: Digests well, no bloat, and recovery and strength have been great

TASTE: And here is where they lose points. Cinnamon Bun is dismal at best. Not the worst tasting protein, but nearly unpalatable. It is taking me a long time to finish the tub

OVERALL: Highly recommend, despite poor flavor

December 30, 2013

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Mixes Great.
      • Great Bcaa Profile
      • Low Carb
      • Rich Choc Too Diluted
      I have used SR for reading up on reviews of products for 2-3 years now and it has been my go to guide for reviews. This was my very first protein powder after it was recommended to me by a friend. It has a very strong profile, very similar to that of gold standard whey. It has 25g of protein in a scoop of 32g, low in sugar and fat as well as 5-6 grams of bcaas.

EFFECTIVENESS 8/10
      In terms of the effects, protein is protein so its hard to say. But I had no issues taking this whatsoever and had no digestion issues, which could be due to their added digestive enzyme. In terms of recovery, I can surely say that this product has helped in my recovery and I was now able to train 5 times a week, instead of the usual 2-3. It also made me feel less sore at night. A very effective product, hard to rate it below 9.

PRICE- 9/10
      For the price, it is one of the best, if not the best on the market. On par with the gold standard, and cheaper. The new and improved version also has 1g more of protein vs ON per scoop. Doesn't seem much at first, but after one tub (71 servings), its about 3 scoops more of protein. For the price, its unbeatable.

DOSING & MIXABILITY – 10/10

Being a whey protein isolate, I usually took 1-2 scoops post workout with water sometimes milk. In terms of mixability in both milk and water I'd say I've never seen anything that dissolves as well. There was no need to use a blender bottle too, simply superb .
      TASTE – 7/10
      Here is where I feel there could be improvements by Dymatize. I took the Rich Choc flavour and somehow it tasted very diluted and artificial. In skimmed milk it was better but then there was no point of getting a WPI if I mixed it with milk, imo. However I tried my friend's Café Mocha and it tasted like Starbucks coffee tbh. So if you're gonna get this protein, go for Café Mocha.

Overall - 8

Overall a very solid WPI in my opinion. ON better be watching its back.

November 15, 2013

• Blast Fart Now And Then
      First of all this whey protein gave farts now and then. But i was quiet happy with the results.

Effectiveness 8/10: I used to take 2 scoops immediately after my workout. Felt good. Boosted back energy immediately. Could feel the muscle pumps stay longer.

Ingredients 7.5/10: It has more of sodium and potassium with other ingredients and enzymes to help you digest the protein quickly. Good BCAA profile, but ON whey is good in this area comparatively.

overall 8/10: If you are looking something to keep you in the shape and add muscle, this is a good choice. Helps you to recover with decent gains. Does a good job in building muscle adding to lean mass. You will definitely blast farts while on this.

Value 7.5/10: you can buy this when compared to other whey products out there. Not the best but a good one.

July 9, 2013

• No Aspartame!
      • Price Can Be Somewhat High Depending On The Frequency Of Usage.
      Well, so I discovered SR while surfing the net and since then I have been using the reviews posted here as my "buying guide" when it comes to supplements.
      I am a doctor and an officer in the army here and have been involved in fitness since a few years now as a hobby. Over the years I have tried out (and initially experimented with) various supplements with varying results. You see, I haven't always had access to the best of gyms or trainers considering my job and the time it leaves me with, so a lot of my research about supplementation has been through the internet or through personal experience.

Anyway, the reason I decided to write this review was because I'd just come off a long illness break which ate up a good month of my vacation, keeping me away from the gym too. So I'd ended up losing quite some size. Now, I know that muscle memory exists and it does help you regain quicker, but I was also looking to keep my nutrition decent. I wanted to regain the size I'd lost, but without putting on too much fat (I'm 5'11", 170lbs, and my waist had shot up to 34in during my month - long lay - off). So I decided to avoid a gainer and go with a whey instead, adding oats and milk powder as to the shakes when required.

I have mainly stuck to ON's Gold Standard 100% whey whenever I could because here in India it is considered to be one of the best whey's around and I do tend to agree with the fact that ON is definitely spot - on with quality. The main limiting factor is however the price of supplements here; to give you an example, a 2lbs tub of ON Gold Standard Whey costs close to Rs 3000/-. That comes out to be approx $50. Yes, a 2lbs tub. The 5lbs one costs around $90. So you see, supplements here are way more expensive. It has something to do with the taxes.

Anyway, I checked out the supplement profile of Dymatize Elite whey and found it to be quite decent - comparable to ON Gold Standard and slightly cheaper (marginally).

I used this product for 02 months straight, taking approx four servings/day depending on the rest of my protein intake. I would take a scoop in the morning and throw in some oats as well; then again a scoop between breakfast and lunch; one scoop pwo; and one/two scoops post workout. I was exercising for an hour daily with moderate weights and was working 02 muscle groups a day with cardio/badminton three days a week.

At the end of 02 months I had gained about four-five lbs with my waist measurement remaining the same (34in). I was happy with my gains because I was looking slightly more muscular than before and I had managed to keep my waist from increasing further. I have previously bulked with ON Serious mass and similar high cal gainers, but always ended up with a big waist.

I didn't really experience any major side - effects. I generally stick to chocolate flavors when it comes to whey and this was no different. It tasted good in milk, but with water the taste wasn't really the best (it's a whey after all). The taste was comparable to ON's.

The only main downside for me was the price - using four scoops a day might not seem like much for those who aren't paying such prices for their supps, but for me, it was quite heavy on the wallet.

I would definitely recommend this product though. It helped me maintain a high protein diet with the flexibility of adjusting my carbs as required.
      Overall, a good product that helps you make lean gains.