Ranks #1 (better than 100%)
In: Protein > Meal Replacements

MRE is a Meal Replacement manufactured by Redcon1. It is a protein based supplement meant to provide additional fats and carbohydrates with the purpose of providing a quick and conveinient meal. It can promote lean muscle mass gain and aid in fat loss. It is not to be used as a sole source of nutrition.

Overall
Overall
9.5
  September 12, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Whole Food Sources
  • Excellent Macro-Nutrient Composition

First, apologies to Redcon1 for not getting this done sooner. Still trying to adjust to life with a baby and not getting as much sleep as I'm used to. Still, I have a commitment to hold up my end of the bargain and I know it will feel good to finally get this review done. Thanks for bearing with me. Second, alluding to the title, yes I have eaten many real MREs but no I am not in the military. My dad used to buy them for camping when I was a kid.

Over the years I have gotten more and more educated about supplements and, ironically, I have gotten less and less enamored with the lure of using them. Granted my goals have changed as well. I'm no longer into bodybuilding and have throw myself full force into cycling (not that kind of cycling you knuckleheads, I mean riding a road bike!). I feel like most supplements out there in each category are 99% the same thing with different labels. I barely use anything now and I don't feel like most things are worth the money. I've gotten more and more into making sure I get everything from quality, all natural, whole food sources.

However, I do still use a protein shake for breakfast because it's fast, easy, and doesn't make me feel sick in the morning like if I eat whole foods. I was aware of MRE before it came up to review and noticed that it truly was something different. I had to pull the trigger on it when I saw the opportunity and I'm so glad I did because I loved every minute of using it and I miss having it even now!

This is what attracted me to want to try this product. The ingredient list is like nothing else out there on the market now. As I said I have an interest in getting as much whole foods as possible into my diet and this is a step towards whole food from your typical protein or weight gainer product.

SALMON PROTEIN, CHICKEN PROTEIN, WHAAAAAAAT? Obviously, the most notable thing about this product is the protein blend. Other proteins in here are egg, beef, pea, and brown rice. Those I am familiar with but not the salmon or chicken protein. It's a nice blend of whole food proteins but I could have done without the cheaper, poorer quality pea and brown rice proteins. At least they are listed last in the blend (and therefore in the least amounts) so I can live with it. Carbs come primarily from oatmeal, backed up with some sweet potato and yam (no they're not the same thing; look it up). Again, nice whole food sources and not your typical maltodextrin blend. Fats brought to you by MCT oil and I assume whatever is naturally occurring in the other ingredients. Other than that you have a little "superfood" type blend of Goji berry and Blueberry. I'm not sure if that is included for taste or what because it seems like there's only a small amount, but okay that's fine. Finally, you get some coconut water for some potassium which is always welcome in my book. Also this has ZERO cholesterol, which I don't really care a out but it cool to see for those who may.

It does have some maltodextrin, dextrose, and artificial sweeteners for the flavor that I wish weren't in there, but they are again low in the list and I have a feeling just used for flavor, not as a primary ingredient. I don't love the artifical sweetners but, in my opinion, the flavoring systems have not gotten to the point where all natural products taste decent enough. Hopefully they will get there soon because I am a fan of all natural.

Overall it's a pretty "bodybuilder" profile of low fat, high carb, and high protein.

So typically I mixed 2 rounded scoops (half serving) with about 16oz of whole milk and had it on my way to work. It would keep me full for about 2-3 hours depending on how many miles I had recently ridden. On occasion I'd throw an extra scoop in if I was feeling really hungry. I like powdered products because they're more versatile. It's basically just food so you can use whatever suits your individual caloric needs.

Mixability was OUTSTANDING! I used a regular blender bottle with the wire ball. 8-10 light shakes and it was mixed. No clumping around the top, no chunks, no mess. Literally unbelievable for a product like this and yes I'm aware of what literally means. I still actually, in fact, don't believe what I witnessed. I mean seriously, I have used whey isolates that don't mix as well as MRE did in milk which is insane. It's the little things like this that make a product a joy to use and can make it or break it for me.

Finally, what about the TAAAAAASTE right??!?! With all that weird protein in there it must taste like fish right? NOPE. This was THE BEST tasting product I have ever used, PERIOD. I have never rated taste a 10 before now. I had the sweet potato pie. Now I have never had sweet potato pie, but if it tastes like this then I need to try that. The comparison I came up with was that is tasted like a really delicious oatmeal graham cracker pie crust with cinnamon and everything. So yummy. You're probably thinking "well yeah anything tastes good when you mix it with whole milk", and you'd be right. However, I did try MRE with water for comparison and it was still really good. Granted, mixing it with whole milk did take it to another level.

MRE did exactly what I wanted it to do. I needed some quality, easily digestible calories for breakfast that would fill me up for a few hours until lunch. As I said, I am not currently weight training so I can't comment on gains or anything like that but I can say recovery from my cycling was good and I was able to push hard each and every ride. I realize that this is marketed as a bodybuilding supplement and most of you will use it differently than I did. However, I have done the whole bulk/cut routine before and if you are someone who does struggle to get enough whole foods to reach that goal then this product is a great option for helping you pack on some fairly lean muscle. It's certainly better than most of the cheap weight gainers out there that will mostly just help you get fat. In a smaller serving (2 scoops) as a meal replacement or a larger serving (4 scoops) as a gainer I don't think you can go wrong with MRE if you value the things I've outlined so far.

Something I think we forget many times is that a mass gainer, whole food powder, or even a basic protein powder, is really a food item. As such, I think we should really judge the value of a serving by what an equivalent whole food source would cost us instead of thinking of of it as an "extra" supplement. What I mean is, if we are not using that protein supplement we are still going to get those macros in from whole food sources and that will cost us money just the same. This can't really be said about something like a pre workout, Creatine, Nitric Oxide, BCAA, etc. We can still get very effective workouts without using those supplements and so I consider them "extra". I think most of us have been guilty of judging protein based supplements like this at some point; lumping them all in together with the "extra" supplements of which value should be judged a little differently. I know I have.

So that said, how does MRE stack up? It looks like $80 is where you are at for a tub of this. This was consistent over every site I checked including Amazon. Definitely some sticker shock there but lets break it down. For my purposes I only used 1/2 serving. As I said, mixed with 16oz of whole milk half a serving provided plenty of macros for me. So this provided me 50 servings at $1.60 each (262.5kCal P 23.5g C 37.5g F 2g). If you want to include the milk at .25 cents a serving ($2.00 for 128oz, 128oz/16oz=8 servings, $2/8 servings= .25 cents) you're at $1.85 per serving (582.5 kCal P 39.5g C 61.5g F 18g). In my opinion you will be hard pressed to beat those numbers from whole food alone for that cost. I'm sure you could if you really try, but when you factor in the delicious flavor and convenience this is clearly a great value. Now all that said do I wish it was cheaper? Hell yeah, of course I do, I wish everything was cheaper!

So that is by far the most exhaustive insight into the value of any product I have ever reviewed. This part of the review literally took me over an hour to write, but I hope maybe it can help someone think differently about the value of their protein products. Apply this same reasoning to other protein/whole food products in the market and it might provide a unique way of looking at things. Bro tip gentleman, this is how I justify a lot of purchases to my wife. "Well hun, if I don't get these macros here I'm just going to spend as much or more on whole food somewhere else." She is yet to come up with a way to circumvent my argument ;)

Side Effects

None. No upset stomach, bathroom trips, or anything.

Conclusion

Man, I have not had as much fun using and reviewing a product in a long time. Truly well done by Recon1 for putting together something so unique and delicious. If all supplement companies paid attention to the details like this one did then maybe the industry wouldn't be such a crap show. After becoming quite disillusioned with supplements and the industry in general MRE showed me there was a beacon of hope in an otherwise murky landscape. I hope in the future more companies can take a lead and really get outside the box in this category like Redcon1 did with MRE. But for now MRE stands alone. If it's a product that fits your needs give it a try. You won't regret it. I know I will be ordering some of the Blueberry Cobbler flavor to try pretty soon!
    • Sweet Potato Pie: 10/10

Other Prices:
    DPS Nutrition   $79.99
    Muscle and Strength   $79.99
    A1Supplements   $79.99

Overall
    Overall
    9.2
    9.2
      August 3, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Whole Food Sources
    • Excellent Macro-Nutrient Composition
    • Lactose Free
    • Convenient
    • Taste Great
    • Increased Recovery
    Introduction + Supplement facts
    Huge thank you to RedCon1 for their support of the SR Troops program. This review is for MRE or meals ready to eat. I have tired other products that redcon1 has made though the trooper program and I've seen great results. When the company put up MRE for review I was excited to give it a try.
    Redcon1 did a great job with the profile of this product. Unlike similar products MRE uses real or whole foods sources. Which might explain one reason why the cost is so high. Also MRE has no whey for the protein sources but use real food like beef, chicken, eggs, and salmon. You will also get MCT oil for your healthy fats for the people that are the bulletproof diet. Also you will get rolled oats for your carbohydrates source. Now redcon1 does not give you and exact breakdown of how much beef is in it. Like the label doesn't say 4oz of grass fed beef. So if you are wanted and exact number I know redcon1 made a video talking about the amount of food that is used in MRE.
    Taste + Mixability + Dosing
    The taste of MRE was amazing has to be one of the best tasting stuff on the market. The flavor I received was blueberry cobbler which smells and taste amazing. It smells like a blueberry muffin so good. The mixability side of it you have to use a blender. The 4 scoops that are used for each serving will not fit in a shaker cup plus adding the water.

Effectiveness 9.2/10
    MRE is a great product for anyone that is looking for a meal on the go or too busy to eat. This stuff was great at keeping me full in-between my meals or if I was having a really busy day and knew it would be a while before I ate again. Also the other good aspect is you are getting real food sources. Which was really nice because I felt fuller versus other products that would make my stomach feel bloated and really gassy. MRE never made me feel this way it was really easy to digest and I didn't have any issues. The other aspect that I really like it that it's easy to make for those on the go days. Normally I would make the shake the night before just like coach Rich Piana would and then it would be nice a cold the following day. With the whole food sources that are used in MRE like the chicken, beef, eggs, and salmon along with the rolled oats it really made a difference with helping me stay full longer along with giving me more energy during the day.

Value 6.0/10
    Now for being a whole food meal replacement the price of this stuff is not cheap. But you are getting a quality product. I would buy MRE again but only if I had the extra cash to do so. The cheapest place was DPS nutrition where a 25 serving tub goes for 79.99 which is 3.19 per serving. Not cheap by any means.

Side Effects

Zero side effects

Conclusion

MRE is at the top of the class when it comes to a meal replacement but the cost alone will drive people away. Unless you have the money and don't really care about spending it MRE would be something I would only buy if it's on a really good sale. But this product is worth a try.
    • Blueberry Cobbler: 10/10

Other Prices:
    DPS Nutrition   $79.99
    Muscle and Strength   $79.99
    A1Supplements   $79.99

Overall
    Overall
    7.1
    6.2
      July 27, 2017

• Slightly Expensive

I have tried a lot of weight gainers, but this was my 1st meal replacement product. The title MRE provoked a bad taste in my mouth at 1st, having been in southeast Texas when Rita blew through I hope to never have to taste an actual MRE again. So let's see how this faired.

If you go with the full serving of 4 scoops you come out with 47g of protein, 75g of carbs, 4g of fat and 8g of fiber. The protein is sourced from some different places than I am used to seeing, salmon, rice, chicken, etc.

I received the sweet potato pie flavor and I have to say it was pretty good. There is the slight taste of oats in there from the carb sources, but I have found that it's almost impossible to mask oats with any flavor.
    Mixing was tough, with that many scoops you are going to need an extra large blender bottle or an actual blender. If you use anything other than an actual blender there are going to be some clumps.
    As for dosing I would usually take a serving or half serving about an hour and a half before my workouts.

As is mentioned in the name the point of this is to replace a meal, the ratio of macros does a pretty good job of mimicking a decent Pre workout meal for me at a half serving. It filled me up to get me to my workout with energy, but it didn't make me feel overly full. There was no bloating or stomach discomfort on most of the days. There were a few instances when I went with the full 4 scoop serving size in place of a meal and it definitely served purpose, you won't be hungry again for awhile. Like with protein I didn't notice a whole lot of effects on my body with this other than being full and how my digestive system handled it.

This stuff is pricey. It's a supplement but at the same time you can use it as "food" so when you get a decent ratio for a meal in powder form 3ish per serving isn't terribly bad. But still $80 for a product is hard to swallow.

Side Effects

None here whatsoever

Conclusion

I went into this product with an open mind for both the company and product, and I have to say I was very happy with pretty much every aspect of this product, mixing could be better but with so much packed in here that gets a pass. If I can find this on sale somewhere I will be stocking up for quite awhile.
    • Sweet Potato Pie: 8/10

Cinnamon
    Salt
    Sucralose
    Acesulfame Potassium

The carb:protein ratio is ~1.5:1 with surprisingly low fat content. Approximately none of the protein content is dairy based... meaning no whey or casein. Beef, fish and plant sources account for the protein. Most of the carb content comes from veggies, aside from the flavoring and sweeteners. Any of the 4g of fat that doesn't come from protein and carb sources will come from the MCT oil, which is a very good fat source on its own. Towards the bottom of the list you'll find some of the usual suspects that food purists will have something to say about. Personally, I accept that these ingredients exist to make food products palatable and afford a decent shelf life.

-Dosing-
    The initial batch of containers have a typo that confuses 1 scoop with 1 serving in the instructions. For clarification, 1 serving = 4 scoops to be mixed with 14-16oz of water. If anyone happens across a sample of MRE, be advised that a sample is equal to a single scoop.

-Mixing-
    This powder is not easy to mix. In a classic blender bottle with cold water, I would just expect a few clumps so no one gets disappointed. The best tactics to get a good mix (with a shaker) are to use the max 16oz of water, shake for at least 20 seconds lol, drop the blender bottle whisk in AFTER the powder if applicable. It's not necessarily a bad thing if there are clumps though, as there isn't anything that gets trapped or lost between them.

-Taste-
    What if I told you that the taste is somehow one of the worst things about this product? But how when I rated it an 8/10? Because I expected more of the flavor itself. The perfect comparison would be that it taste like pureed overnight oats, with a hint of blueberry. Correction, it's not a comparison because it's a high protein oats powder anyway. I stand by my rating, but making it known that I expected the kind of blueberry flavor that warrants a 9 or 10.

-Effectiveness-
    This meal replacement doesn't just have some good food sources... it actually invokes your body's real reaction to a meal. Once I finish drinking the mix, my body is satiated for 3 solid hours as if I ate a solid meal. It carries some weight on the stomach but it travels well to the parts of your body that retain fullness. I wasn't used to feeling this kind of hunger satisfaction in anything that wasn't a mass gainer.

-Value-
    The cost is what is most difficult to swallow with MRE. At this point, all the retailers I could find have MRE priced at $79.99. Per meal/serving, it would be ~$3.19. There's no dancing around the fact that it's expensive. When you check the quality of the ingredients, you can see where Redcon1 gets away with having this price on MRE. However, it's still mad pricey and we have to make a considerate choice. If you have the money but don't have the time, you're exactly the kind of person that MRE was designed for.

-Conclusion-
    MRE is a great product among the long overdue movement of whole food meal replacement powders. I used this in a few different scenarios: post-workout, post-work and to avoid missing a meal. At no point in any of these situations did MRE let me down. This powder has the makeup and benefits of a meal suited for a pretty active individual with a busy life short on convenience. I myself couldn't find a situation where a meal profile like this wouldn't benefit me when appropriately timed.

Thank you for taking the time to read.
    As usual: thoughts, comments, questions, critique are all welcome and encouraged.
    • Blueberry Cobbler: 8/10

July 15, 2017

• Slightly Expensive

RedCon1 has recently been on a tear throughout the supplement industry and without a doubt after the crown in all categories! I've absolutely loved their Total War pre-workout and when I saw the chance to use MRE, which is their brand new meal replacement supplement, I just had to see if lightning could strike twice. I'm currently on my cutting phase for an upcoming competition and having solid nutrition for each and every meal is an absolute must to guarantee that I step on stage my best and I was hoping that MRE could become a major component to achieving this! Lets see how MRE stacks up and if it can prove as amazing as some of RedCon1s other products!

Calories: 525
    Fat Calories: 35
    Total Fat: 4g
    Saturated Fat: <1g
    Carbohydrates: 75g
    Fiber: 8g
    Sugar: 5g
    Protein: 47g

I've only personally had minimal past experience with using meal replacement supplements due to their typically poor ingredient composition that commonly sways towards insanely high carbohydrate counts from less than stellar sources but from just looking at the label, MRE is proving to go against the grain with all the right moves. Utilizing quality carbohydrates from rolled oats, sweet potato, yams, peas, and fruits ensures that the calories are not being instantly transformed into unwanted adipose tissue (smart words for fat :P). MRE also decided to use unique sources of protein from beef, salmon, chicken, eggs, and rice, which are all great in my opinion and a refreshingly unique change-up from throwing in the regular whey concentrate to bring up protein numbers.

I had the chance to test out their Sweet Potato Pie flavor that I can honestly say is a pretty well-done rendition to the real thing in powdered shake form that even maintains a slight creaminess and is easy on the sweetness levels to help it go down more easily. I would highly recommend not adding too much water and trying to follow the 14-16oz guideline to ensure that your stomach will have enough room to fit this beastly shake. It mixes fairly well with a good shake and requires a little time for bubbles to settle. It uses a pretty standard protein scooper that works with any normal/large sized water bottle. This product is definitely not Aquafina or Dasani water bottle compatible and will result in a pretty rough mixture that I would have to advise against.

MRE became my go-to breakfast shake to guarantee perfect morning nutrition upon waking up to jump start my day! The shake itself doesn't feel overly heavy and even leaves me with a little room to put down a side snack in addition. I really have to say that I absolutely love the ingredient profile of MRE while knowing that I'm hitting my daily macros from excellent calorie sources. I used it several times as a 2 scoop snack on a couple of occasions if I felt like I was put into a decision to either snack on a bag of chips or reach for a quick MRE shake, which is always the right choice. MRE did an amazing job at satisfying my caloric needs on a daily basis with a Sweet Potato Pie taste that I surprisingly did not get sick of by the bottom of the barrel. I really wish I could say more on the effectiveness of this product but since it's a meal supplement there is really only so much that I can say.. but know that in its category... to me this is a top dog without a doubt!

Almost all sites on the internet that are selling MRE have it listed for $80, which I think is little overpriced as a powdered meal replacement supplement considering it's only 25 servings at a somewhat reasonable $3.20 considering the quality product that you are receiving. I was however able to find one site (Legendary Supplements) that was selling MRE for $60, which I think is a pretty nice sweet spot price for the product. Just in case it was a typo though I jumped on the deal so I'd be able to continue using MRE for the remainder of my competition prep.

Side Effects

I personally had no significant side effects from using MRE other than a full stomach from drinking a full serving worth which is expected from a product like this.

Conclusion

RedCon1 has done it once again! They've not only flipped the preworkout scene with Total War but have now also captivated the meal replacement category with MRE! It's a quality supplement with an impressive ingredient profile that ensures clean eating with an excellent macro-nutrient list to boot. At $80 a tub, I do think it's a LITTLE expensive - but $3.20 for a nutritionally sound 500 calorie meal doesn't really sound bad at all when you get down to it. At a $60 pricepoint though?! Well at that value I'll probably be a customer till they stop manufacturing the item! It's surprising to me that no other supplement company that I can think of has created a clean meal replacement product like MRE but it's definitely better late than never! Cheers Fellas!
    • Sweet Potato Pie: 7/10

7.1
      July 13, 2017

• Dextrose

What's up SR family! I would like to first start off by giving Redcon1 and the Trooper program a big thank you for allowing me to run Redcon1's meal replacement product MRE. What can I say; proper nutrition makes up 80% of what our body's requires to archive our transformation in the gym. Considering that for the past couple of months, I am always on the go and trying to eat clean has become a challenge. When I saw MRE come up for the Troopers, I had to jump on it.

The profile on MRE is one that I have never come across, in all my years of using supplements, this is the 1st meal replacement that did not contain any dairy products; of course, there are the exceptions when using some vegan products that do not contain dairy products as well.

Here are some of the protein sources you can find in MRE:

Beef, Chicken, Egg, Brown Rice, and Salmon; really, in a meal replacement shake! At first, I thought cats would follow me every time I used a serving. In addition to these protein sources, there are complex carbs that come with MRE - Rolled Oats, Pea Starch, Maltodextin, and Dextrose. MRE is comprise of whole foods, which many of us here have always suggested to those who are new and are wasting money on a Weight Gainer with a billion grams of sugars.

MRE gives you 525 calories, if you take the serving amount, which are four scoops. This is comprised of 47 grams of protein and 75 grams of carbs.

Taste - I received the sweat potato flavor and I was already thinking, "This is going to taste like Hell". On top of that, we go back to the Salmon in MRE, was I going to taste any fish or was a cat going to knock on my window with his own shaker cup? Man, I was blown away by the taste of MRE; it was good and no fish after taste at all.

Mixing - Again, with all the different sources of protein, I was not looking forward to chucking down a glob; however, MRE mixes very well. I used it with almond milk and water combination and it went down smoothly. There was a little bit of settlement at the bottom of the shaker cup, but if you add about 2 ounces of water, it would be completely mixed.

Dosing - I ran this 2 different ways, on non-workout days, I would take 2 scoops for breakfast. On Workout days, I would use MRE twice, 2 scoops 30 mins before my workout and 2 scoops 30 mins after my workout.

MRE was a lifesaver for me; I was able to maintain clean eating while on the run. Especially since my wife sent some time in the Hospital, I would take MRE with me in baggies so I can keep feeding my body; hospital food can sometimes kill you just as some crazy doctor who is drinking while performing a surgery. One of the key effects I received from MRE was the fact that, I felt full, even at 2 scoops; it lasted about 3 hours. On days when I took the full serving, broken down into 2 separate shakes, I was full most of the day.

MRE was the perfect food marco for me, I never had any hunger pains or any sugar drops due to not eating enough. In addition, MRE gives you some fiber, which we are all guilty of not consuming enough fiber. There is 8 grams in 4 scoops, but it did help me with having regular movements in the restroom. As for the recovery aspect of MRE, I did notice that I was not as sore when I used MRE after a workout and when taken before my workout, I did not have any sugar drops when doing a high intensity workout, I felt the slow release of complex carbs that MRE provides.

Yes, if you have been trying to find MRE lower than $80.00, it will be a challenge. However, Redcon1 always advertise coupon code for 20% off on Yahoo and some other retailors offer 10% to 15% off.

If you just use 2 scoops a day, then you can get 50 servings, which makes the initial $80.00 hit not as bad. Think about it, if you go to a restaurant and order a grilled chicken with a side of salmon, some rice, and yams, how much would that plate cost you? About 30% of MRE and that was just one serving.

Side Effects

There were no sides for me, no gas, no bloating; this is perfect for our lactose intolerant SR family members.

Conclusion

For me Redcon1 has done it again, MRE is a hit. This is the perfect meal replacement to take, it adds to our daily macors requirements, and it is easy on the mouth, since we do not have to chew food 8 times a day. I understand that MRE's price point might be a high for some; however, if you are spending on average $7 to $9 dollars a day for lunch, you are paying $175.00 to $225.00 for 25 lunches. I look forward to buying more MRE from RECON1 and I hope that as Rcon1 grows in the market, that they keep the high quality of MRE intact. I would like to thank REDCON1 and the Troopers again for the opportunity.

July 11, 2017

• Taste Great

First off I want to thank Redcon1 for letting us troopers have the chance to give this product a try. This is only the second time I have been able to try a product like this and really like this kind of product. It's great being able to get an all in one product like this instead of having to buy everything separately which would cost you a lot more.

If you have used Meal replacement products before you will notice just like in this product that the content of ingredients is a lot higher than what you would get in a regular protein shake. I really like that this is not whey protein you are getting in this. You get a lot of really good whole foods they put in this and I find that those are some of the best ways to get your protein and other nutrients from instead of regular whey. In each 4 scoops (which is one serving size) you get 525 calories, 75g of carbohydrates, 4g of fat, 5g of sugar, and 47g of protein. I feel that is a good amount to get for a meal replacement. I really like what all they put in here for whole foods rolled oats, beef, salmon, chicken, brown rice, egg albumin, peas, dehydrated yam, dehydrated sweet potato, dehydrated coconut water, dehydrated goji, and dehydrated blueberry. There is also MCT oil for some inclusion of good fats. A lot of these whole foods I don't consume very often and it's nice to have them in here so I can get them. I think overall this has a very good profile because you get a lot of really good stuff in this.

This comes in two flavors blueberry cobbler and sweet potato pie. I requested the blueberry cobbler and that was the flavor I got. I really enjoyed this a lot. It has a nice smooth blueberry cobbler taste to it. In ways this kind of reminded me of eating blueberry flavored oatmeal. You will really notice the oats in this when you drink it. After I would drink this I had to drink a little bit of water to get rid of the little pieces of oats left in my mouth. This was something I really enjoyed and looked forward to drinking it each time. I did notice a little that if you add to much water it does make it taste just a little more watered down like.

Mixing was not to bad. If you let it settle a bit you will get a little bit of grit on the bottom and you need to keep shaking this up each time you drink it. It does mix a little on the thick side but not to bad. I thought it was just right for my liking. I did notice that if you use to much water it does become a little bit watery which I was kind of surprised it did that especially if you are using 4 scoops. I would suggest maybe using a little less water than to much. I would say you would have to try it out first to see what you think is the right amount of water you should use.

You get a total of 25 servings in this if you are doing the 4 full scoops they recommend. To get a full meal out of this you need the 4 scoops. For me I did not want that much stuff in me and would do 3 scoops normally in the mornings at work during my first break. A few times if I knew I would not be eating any kind of regular meal for awhile then I would do the 4 scoops.

I found this product to be very effective for me. I would normally take this in the mornings at work during my first break. I am someone who has a hard time wanting to eat anything in the mornings just because of how my stomach usually feels. I know eating a decent breakfast is important but for me it's not always easy to do. By having this product I figured I would take it in the mornings since I don't usually eat very much for breakfast. In the mornings I would usually do just 3 scoops instead of 4 just because I did not want to take in the full amounts of everything you get in this at once. If I knew it was going to be a really long time before my next meal then I would do the full 4 scoops.

I found this to be very good on my stomach and never caused me any unwanted digestive issues at all. Never really noticed to much in the way of bloating which was nice. I feel this really helped me a lot more with my recovery. I felt a lot less soreness and my DOMS were hardly noticeable. Since I started taking this I was able to put on a little more weight and a little more size in my muscles. I think this helped me gain more strength on my lifts. I felt like my lifts went better and was able to push around some heavier weight than I normal would which was nice. Also I felt my energy levels were a lot better mainly because of the extra carbs which helped get more glycogen in me so I would not become so depleted as quickly. My overall drive and endurance during my workouts felt way better.

Having this was really good for me just because at times I have a hard time wanting to eat the amounts of food I would like so I can put on more size and muscle. If you have a hard time getting the amounts of food you want to consume this is really good at helping you do that or if you are someone that wants to go above what you normally eat to help you gain more size this is great for that and a lot easier to consume than trying to eat all that extra food. I will say that if you are someone that is needing to watch your macro intake you may need to back off on the full 4 scoops and maybe just do 2 or 3 scoops or you could even split up the servings through out the day instead which is not a bad idea. A lot of these foods they put in this I hardly ever consume and by having them in here was really good so I could finally start consuming them. I know a lot of the stuff they put in here is really good for you and should be consuming a lot more often.

Pretty much the standard price for this is $80. At first this may seem rather expensive which it still is a little but you have to take into consideration what all is in this. If you were to buy everything that is in this separately it would cost you a lot more. I feel the price is fairly decent for what all you get in this but could be a little lower. Any kind of deal you could find on this would be a big plus.

Side Effects

No side effects at all when taking this.

Conclusion

Overall I thought this was a great product and very effective for me. For a meal replacement product I think this is great to have and really fuels your body with a lot of really good nutrienets and whole foods. Not only does it taste really good but you are able to consume a lot of whole foods you maybe don't consume at all or not nearly enough of. If you have a hard time getting in that extra meal or want to add an extra meal this is a very simple and easy way to do it instead of having to try and eat your food. I would highly recommend this product to most anyone. If you are a hard gainer I would recommend this for sure. I am really going to miss having this product because of how simple it was to consume all of these foods instead of having to try and eat all of them. I would say if you can find any kind of deal on this for sure take advantage of that. I would really like to try their sweet potato pie flavor next. If at some point I find a good deal on this I may just have to give that a try but right now it is a little hard to want to fork out $80 right now. Again I want to give a big shout out to Redcon1 for making this product and letting me have the chance to try it.
      • Blueberry Cobbler: 8/10

July 10, 2017

• Dextrose

I've heard a lot about Redcon1. I actually see people wearing their shirts quite often. When I saw an opportunity come up, I had to go for it of course.

Typically, I don't recommend meal replacement shakes as I feel a simple whey protein with ground up oatmeal and a banana are worth the effort the money you save. However, when I saw what Redcon1 used in MRE as carb sources, I was very interested.

As I just mentioned, I was interested in the fact that MRE uses carbs from sources such as sweet potato, ground oats, blueberry, and goji berry. This was much better than seeing it loaded with sugar and corn starch. There is dextrose, but it can't be a lot.

For 4 scoops(one serving), you get:

4fat
      75carb(5 sugar)
      47protein

Even at 2 scoops, the macros would be a solid meal replacement. I like how the fat is low, as anyone who counts macros knows fat is a precious macro that seems to go away quickly. If the fat isn't enough for you, add olive/macadamia/avocado oil if you must.

Again though, with 75carbs and only 5 of them being sugar, this is a great option if you need to eat but don't feel like cooking something up.

I had the sweet potato pie flavor. I must say I was pretty surprised how much I liked it. I only had it in water, and even then it has a nice sweet taste along with a cinnamon like flavoring to it.

I had no mixability issues. Rarely had a clump or residue at the bottom.

No you do have to take 4 scoops, this makes it easier to measure how much of MRE you actually want. If I don't want 75 carbs, I can take 2 scoops instead. Pretty convenient, much better than having to figure out if you took half a scoop by eyeballing it out.

I first started by taking this for breakfast. I had friends visiting me from Europe and we were on the go quite often. We tended to leave early which meant that there was little time to eat in the morning. So instead I would take this. It worked very well for keep my hunger at bay, while not making me feel bloating. I never had an issue not eating until later in the day. So as a healthy meal replacement, it did quite well.

Towards the end, I started a ketogenic diet with refeeds on weekends. Now, I tried to keep my fats as low as possible on these days, while keeping my carbs as healthy as well(for the most part lol). MRE was perfect for this, as I didn't want to get 400 carbs some pancakes with syrup and pasta. Also kept the bloat down, which is something I noted.

I did not take this everyday(obviously not on a keto diet), but for the most part, I took it when I felt I needed it, like as a snack between meals to keep hunger away.

Now the price for MRE is pretty steep. You can get a tub for $79.99. Haven't seen any sales, and discount codes tend to only take it down so much. Others have mentioned that there have been sales for 30% off, which brings it down to $63.99. That is quite a bit more reasonable. Also, if you are using only 2 scoops, which you very well could, it would be quite cost effective actually. Can't complain too much, as I tend to eat at Chipotle quite(very) often, and don't mind spending $8+ a meal.

I understand that using quality ingredients will raise the price of a convenience food quite a lot, which is why I tend just recommend whole foods like I said before. However, convenience has its benefits as well.

Side Effects

Conclusion

MRe is a solid option if you're looking for a quick healthy meal without the hassle of cooking. With the sugar being low, and from healthy sources, the fat being low, along with the protein being solid at even 1/2 a serving, it is a very versatile product.

The taste is unique, and to be honest, quite awesome. While the price point may be high initially, if you use it right and get it on sale, you can save some money in the long run.

I still recommend blending up some oatmeal and adding whey and a banana to it, but if youy don't want to do that, this is a nice alternative.

July 8, 2017

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Whole Food Sources
      • Ace-K

A special thanks to Redcon1 for their participation here on SR.com. Today, I discuss my experiences with their Meal Replacement product MRE. Meal Replacement products are something I've become more fond of and have been using more often throughout my lifting career, primarily due to the fact that being an Ectomorph body type, my metabolism tends to be faster than normal. This results in faster depletion of vital carbs and other nutrients during long bouts of activity. Meal replacement products are an effective way that I've used more frequently in order to help get in more of the vital carbs and macros that I need throughout the day in order to continue making gains, and fitness progress in general.

So how does MRE stand up in this category?

If you've ever used Meal Replacements in the past, you'd expect the contents in the profile to be relatively higher than a standard protein shake. Namely, what you'd want to see higher for the purpose of a Meal Replacement are the carbs, proteins, and fats provided the fats are favorable good fats. It's also common to see the sugar content to be a bit higher as well.

MRE's serving size amounts to 4 scoops. Each serving provides a total of 525 calories, 75g of carbohydrates, 4g of fat, 5g of sugar, and 47g of protein. Of course, the user would be able to vary the amount of the supplemented macros by simply taking individual scoop servings spread throughout the day if preferred.

One thing I definitely like about MRE is how these nutrients, particularly the protein and carbs, are provided through good wholesome food sources. These sources included rolled oats, beef, salmon, chicken, brown rice, egg albumin, peas, dehydrated yam, dehydrated sweet potato, dehydrated coconut water, dehydrated goji, and dehydrated blueberry. There is also MCT oil for some inclusion of good fats. Lastly, MRE also contains maltodextrin and dextrose as additional carb sources.

Overall, a very good looking profile for a Meal Replacement.

I received sweet potato pie and man was it tasty. In water it was real good, but in milk or almond milk, oh hell yeah that is some tasty shiz. The product had good mixability with no problems with undissolved clumps or globs.

The dosing is a matter of preference depending on how you want to spread your macros and how much you need. On training days, I spread the full 4 scoop serving dosage into two separate 2 scoop servings. I would take two scoops in the morning often accompanied with breakfast and the second two scoop serving would come post workout. On non-training days I took the full 4 scoop serving sometime in the afternoon as a supplementary meal source in between other planned meals.

I gauge the efficacy of Meal Replacements similar to how I gauge that of protein supplements. I look primarily for recovery and any other benefits that I gain that would positively influence muscle anabolism support.

With MRE, my recovery was improved and the extra protein and carbs made a significant difference in giving my muscles the vital the nutrients they needed in order to properly recovery and repair. Any DOMS or lethargy I would commonly get from a hard workout was much less in comparison without supplementation of MRE.

I like enjoyed how the product complimented my meals with the extra nutrients that I needed without adding any unnecessary sugars or excessive unwanted calories. In other words, it helped favorably get the extra goods that I needed without any risk of negatively impacting my general dietary guidelines within my diet regimen.

Lastly, I noticed I had some increased natural energy throughout the day thanks most likely to the extra sufficient carbs giving the extra boost of glycogen to my body in order to utilize without becoming depleted too quickly. This energy also gave me more drive and endurance during my workouts.

MRE is on the expensive side, which isn't surprising given what it is. It's a source of plenty of the good stuff you need from wholesome food sources. The retail value is 79.99. I'm aware that sales for products occur from time to time, but I haven't seen any sales for this product going on at this time. Therefore, at 80 dollars a tub, this could set you back quite a bit depending on how often you use it. Still, you do get about a month's supply and given the quality and efficacy of the product, this is not the worst value for a supplement of MRE's nature. A decent value for a Meal Replacement, but definitely try to catch it on sale.

Side Effects

Conclusion

MRE hits a homerun for me when it comes to Meal Replacements. It tastes great, provides plenty of essential nutrients you need for muscle support, and provides those essential nutrients through the best source of them all, wholesome food. Be sure you incorporate MRE wisely as you don't want to derail from your diet regimen. Lastly, be on the lookout for sales of this product should you wish to give it a try.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO RED SOX!!!
      • Sweet Potato Pie: 9/10

July 1, 2017

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Whole Food Sources
      • Low Fat
      • Ace-K

I am always willing to try new products especially those in the meal replacement category. I usually try to make my own as I find the premixed to be expensive. So, when I saw MRE come up on the Trooper Program I decided to give it a try. Here is the review.

MRE comes in two flavors, Sweet Potato Pie and Blueberry Cobbler. Each comes in a seven-pound tub that has 25 four-scoop servings. Each four-scoop serving yields 525 calories, 4g of fat, 75g of carbohydrates, and 47g of protein. I want to note that at two scoops of MRE yields 262 calories, 2g of fat, 37.5g of carbohydrates, and 23g of protein. The major thing with this product is Redcon1 wanted to use whole food sources. The carbohydrates in this product consist of rolled oats, dehydrated yam, dehydrated sweet potato, pea starch, dehydrated blueberry fruit, dehydrated goji, and dextrose. I really like the inclusion of all of these except the dextrose, which I could do without. The protein blend in this product is unique in that it is dairy free and contains some protein sources I have yet to see in a protein product. The protein blend includes beef protein isolate, salmon protein, chicken protein, egg albumin, brown rice protein, and pea protein. All of these are whole food sources according to Redcon1. I do like the inclusion of the different protein sources and the salmon protein is a unique addition. For the fat, they use MCT oil. I do wish that the fat content were slightly higher. It is sweetened naturally and artificially, the artificial sweeteners are sucralose and Ace-K. I was surprised that they used artificial sweeteners since they have whole food sources, I would have figured they would have went with stevia or other natural sweeteners.

I received Sweet Potato Pie as I thought it was rather unique since many companies have a blueberry type flavor. When you first open the tub, it has a very oat type smell to it that is followed slightly by a sweet potato pie smell. I also get hints of cinnamon from it. The actual taste of MRE is quite good and it does replicate a sweet potato pie but the flavor is a little muted. It is not overly sweet, which was nice and had a good finish to it. You can tell that there is rolled oats in it as there is a type of grit when drinking it (not bad, to be expected). When you get towards the bottom, a lot of the grit sinks to the bottom and you will get a mouthful of them. As far as mixability goes, I always used a blender bottle with the blender. It mixed pretty well but again there is that grit that will settle to the bottom and that will not mix up. Again, I am assuming it is from the rolled oats as I have had similar experiences when I would make my own meal replacements using oat flour. I will note that if I put too much water the product becomes watery, which was surprising since four scoops is a lot. I would recommend trying 3-4 ounces of water per scoop and that made a reasonably thicker shake. As far as dosing goes, I took four scoops a day either all at once or spread throughout the day. I honestly think that even at two scoops per day this can still be an effective product and that would increase the value.

I want to add in this section that as previously mentioned there is salmon protein in this product. I am happy to report that MRE did NOT have any fish smell or taste to it. I know that was a concern I saw when this was first announced.

I took MRE over the course of the day as a meal replacement or pre workout protein shake. As a meal replacement, I thought that MRE was good. I did not find it as filling actual whole foods would be. I suspected that this would have been close to whole foods in terms of being sated as it was whole food based but that was not the case. I noticed that about two to three hours after taking this was I hungry again. I know when I make my own meal replacement with oat flour, protein powder, and peanut butter/almond butter I am sated longer. I think it has to do with the low fat content of the product. Everyone's body is different so someone else taking MRE it could keep them sated longer. In terms of recovery and muscle building, I progressed in my goals consistently throughout the run of the tub. I did replace an actual whole food meal with this and my strength and recovery remained the same. This leads me to believe that MRE is an effective meal replacement.

At first, I took this in the AM as a breakfast but it did not keep me full long enough so I changed it up and decided to use this about two hours pre workout. I felt like this gave me quite a bit of energy from the protein and the carbohydrates to power through my workout. I did get a little hungry during my workouts but that was blunted by the preworkout stimulants I am taking. The major thing I noticed was I had energy towards the end of my workout to do my cardio at the gym. Previously, I would go home and eat then go to the park. But, when taking MRE I had more energy to do it at the gym. This gave me a chance to vary up my cardio by doing it on different machines. I noticed that with the difference in cardio I was sore a little more than usual. But, my recovery remained pretty good and I think MRE and another protein product I was reviewing at the time contributed to that.

Redcon1 MRE retails for $79.99 making it $3.19 per serving. I have seen this go on sale for 30% off making it 63.99 and $2.55 per serving. At two scoops you are looking at about $1.59 per serving and with a sale price $1.27 per serving. Comparing this to other meal replacements was a challenge because most others do not have as many calories, carbohydrates, or protein. I will give you an example Labrada Meal Replacement goes for $2.06 per serving and has 290 calories, 7g of fat, 21g carbohydrates, and 35g of protein. This is more comparable to MRE two scoops that has 262 calories, 2g of fat, 37.5g of carbohydrates, and 23g of protein. Core Nutrionals MRP is another that goes for $2.00 per serving and again compares more closely to MRE two scoops with 245 calories, 3g of fat, 27g of carbohydrates, and 27g of sugar in MRP. There is some definite value to MRE and I think you can customize your experience with the dosages. So, do not let the high price tag upfront scare you purchasing if you plan to use two scoops. MRE also contains whole foods and is dairy free where most other meal replacements are not. I think personally if I were to purchase this, I would move to just two scoops pre workout. To me this is a good especially if looking at as a meal replacement as I at times spend $10 if not more getting lunch at work.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

Overall, MRE is an effective meal replacement product. It uses whole food sources and has some unique ingredients like salmon and chicken protein. The tastes is quite good but vary the water amount as it can get watery. This was effective as a meal replacement but was most effective pre workout and gave me more energy and recovery in the gym, which in turn helped me build muscle. The major drawback I noticed was it did not keep me sated very long and if they included more fat, I think that could help. As far as value goes, MRE is priced fairly and even at half a serving rivals popular meal replacements. Someone buying this can customize their dosing and get more value out of it. This is definitely a product that I will purchase and add to my supplement regime. I would like to thank Redcon1 for sending the product and the Trooper program for coordinating it.

-Xcmiler
      • Sweet Potato Pie: 8/10