(Better than 100% in Meal Replacements)

MRE is a Meal Replacement manufactured by Redcon1. It is a protein based supplement meant to provide additional fats and carbohydrates with the purpose of providing a quick and conveinient meal. It can promote lean muscle mass gain and aid in fat loss. It is not to be used as a sole source of nutrition.

Protein > Meal Replacements

August 11, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Whole Food Sources
  • Convenient
  • Big Tub - One Flavor

This MRE is one you should have no problem scarfing down while you're on the go

Greetings SR! Back again with another review and this time it's MRE brought to you by Redcon1. Firstly, I want to thank the SR TROOPs program and Redcon1 for giving me the opportunity to try this product out. If you want to know of my background, you can find it in my profile here at:

7.8/10
Nutritional Info:
Serving Size 4 Scoops (130g total, wow!)
Servings Per Container 25
Sugars 5g
Protein 47g

Ingredients:
Rolled oats
Protein blend: salmon protein, chicken protein, egg albumin, brown rice protein, and pea protein
Dehydrated yam
Cinnamon
Salt
Sucralose
Acesulfame potassium.

Starting with the macros, a full serving of 4 scoops gives you a big punch towards whatever your calories and nutritional needs are and has a fairly common 1:1.5 ratio of protein to carbs. This meal replacement is a little different from many others in that its based on "real food" choices. Usually we'll see a heavy portion of milk proteins, either whey or casein, but this product has salmon and chicken protein as the first 2 ingredients in the protein blend with 3 other supporting protein choices. I both love this and am concerned at the same time. The pro to this is that a variety of proteins is nice, especially for a MRP, as it can hit different nutritional notes than just chugging more whey. The downside to me is that they are no specific on the protein source. Maybe it's just me but I see chicken protein and I want to know what part of the chicken (or fish) that I'm eating.

Carbs are also from more recognizable food choices with rolled oats (a lifter's carb if there ever was one) as the first choice with dehydrated additions after that. Fat is minimal but seems to be generally derived from coconut sources.

All in all the ingredient profile is a refreshing different take on a MRP and fits a niche in the marketplace that wasn't well addressed.

Taste isn't super important to every supplement but for a meal replacement, its high on my list of things I care about. I received the Dutch Apple Pie flavor and while its doesn't quite hit the taste head on, it certainly reminds me of it. The dominant flavor is apple cinnamon (which really comes through) that finishes with the fairly benign oat flavor. Given the ingredients list, I think this is as good or better than I expected and was an overall positive.

Mixability was okay, but nothing to write home about. Clumping wasn't an issue at all but the heavy concentration of oats made this not a shake that's going to fully dissolve. If you've ever had a protein shake in a blender bottle that you added oat flour to or made a shake with a blender and used rolled oats, its similar to those, the oats stand out and give it a "sticky" mouth feel.

Dosing is a highlight, simply because the smaller scooper allowed me to take only what I needed for my macros for the day. Four scoops usually ended up being a really heavy shake so my normal was to take 3 scoops. Something as simple as the smaller scooper made a big difference for me in this product as some have a single huge scoop that is harder to deal with.

As a meal replacement option, this is pretty darn good. As I said, I played around a bit with the dosing and found that the sweet spot for me was 3 scoops and I almost always mixed with water. This gave me right about 400 calories and struck the right balance for me between saiting my hunger while not leaving me overly full and sitting like a brick in my stomach. It functioned for me as a MRP should, it replaced one of my meals on days i was at work and didn't have time/access to real food.

8.3/10
The best I could find for this supplement is $60 for a 100 scoop tub of ~7lbs. This puts you at $.60 a scoop total and if you use the standard dose you'll pay $2.40/serving. Another way to look at this is that you're essentially getting 219 calories per dollar.

At this price point, the value is pretty high in raw macro terms and if you are looking for a real food choice, it's definitely a good value. For comparison sakes, you are getting more calories per dollar than in many mass gainers as well as comparable MRPs. Most of those do not break 200 calories per dollar.

In general, MRP (and mass gainers as well) value is always in the eye of the holder for a product like this as you are paying for convenience calories, food is almost always cheaper. Compare this to a meal-prepped option, this is almost certainly more expensive but it's also easy to make, keep good, and transport.

Side Effects

None at 3 scoops, 4 scoops made me feel a bit bloated which is why i reduced my dosage.

Conclusion

8.1/10
I like this product and if i was looking to use a meal replacement shake normally, this would be high on my list of ones I could choose from. What sets this apart from the pack is the real food choices contained therein and the corresponding flavors. While the taste isn't spot on, its pretty good and different from almost any other I had from milk based sources and the calories come at a pretty good value. I'd like for there to be a little more info in the protein sources particularly, but it wouldn't prevent me from buying the product in the future. Recommended.
  • Dutch Apple Pie: 7/10

Other Prices:
Fitness First USA   $59.95
Ill Pump You Up   $63.95
Best Price Nutrition   $79.99

August 4, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Whole Food Sources
  • Convenient
  • Excellent Macro-Nutrient Composition
  • Lactose Free
  • Taste Great
  • Low Sodium
  • No Amino Profile

Great meal replacement with a low sodium ingredient profile. Mixture of different proteins (no Whey) that make you wonder what the actual Amino Acid profile is, but fairly priced and does its job other than that. Dutch apple pie flavor is delicious mixed with milk or water.

38 years old and lift four days a week, while still recovering to total reconstructive surgery to my left ankle. I actually picked up this tub of MRE back in January, and drank it slowly here and there. It was not until the last month I started to use MRE as my breakfast on days that I workout and have to go to work, otherwise I would just cook breakfast. I have also been on a quest to try out all the REDCON1 products I can, since I find the company interesting. Lets see how this MRE compares to the standard military MRE.

A serving size here is 4x130g scoops. Each serving size nets you 525 Calories (35 from fat), 4g Total Fat, 200mg Sodium, 250mg Potassium, 75g Carbs, and 47g Protein. I like the low sodium content in here, as I have to watch my sodium intake since I am prone to being diabetic due to family history (getting older is real fun). There are 15 other reviews of this that go over different portions of the ingredient profile, so I will not belabor the point here. Of note, rolled oats are your source of carbs, but lets touch quickly on the differnt types of proteins included and discuss quick pro's and con's.

Beef Protein Isolate (bovine): Beef Protein is derived from processed beef, in this case the bovine. This is still a protein so it will aid you in building muscle and contains all essential amino acids. The drawbacks here are it does not contain BCAAs, and has a lower bioavailability index.

Salmon Protein (fish): I could not find much information about this at all, but from what I understand it digests very quickly. Some studies have even shown the Hydrosolate version digesting faster than Whey, but that is not the type of protein here, so we can only guess this is fast digesting. Unsure of Amino profile here.

Chicken Protein: Obviously this comes from chickens, and is a complete protein, meaning it contains all the necessary amino acids.

Egg Albumin (egg): This is derived from egg whites. Egg protein digests at a moderate speed, and is said to contain all essential amino acids. Egg white powder is said to be a complete protein, so this helps to make up for some of the lesser proteins here.

Brown Rice Protein: This is low in lysine, but high in other amino acids. Combined with Pea Protein you get all 9 essential amino acids.

Pea Protein: Made from yellow peas and is high in BCAAs and gluten free, lactose free, and dairy free for easy digestion. Here we have some BCAAs but since this is listed last, it has the lowest amount in the protein blend, so we have no idea what we are really getting.

I will echo everyone else's sentiments on their review, REDCON1 you need to add an Amino Acid Profile to this. I think the sources of protein are great combined with the rolled oats and multitude of other ingredients to mimic real food, but its hard to say now nutritionally valuable this really is. When you break it down and look you may be getting enough Amino Acids to be that "building block" of protein synthesis, but its really hard to say since we do not know how much of each protein is in here. It could be all beef and a sprinkle of the rest for all we know. Otherwise this has a unique and interesting profile, and I appreciate the low sodium content, which is hard to find in protein powders these days.

Of note if you are allergic to Eggs, Fish (Salmon), or Coconut then stay away from this product.

Taste: I got the Dutch Apple Pie flavor and loved it. It had a very strong cinnamon taste to it and almost does taste like an apple pie. I mixed this with milk mostly, but also used water and the flavor was definitely stronger in the milk, but was still good in water. I enjoyed it.

Mixability: 4 scoops in 15oz of water or milk you would think would be a nightmare. This actually mixed well with a few good shakes in my blender bottle. If I let it sit for an extended period of time while I was driving to work, it would settle to the bottom, and I would get a lot of residue left over. Other than that it mixed pretty well.

Dosing: I always used 4 scoops (1 serving) for breakfast on days I worked out and had to go to work. Dose this as you need for a meal replacement, do not rely on this solely to get your daily macro's. Its a SUPPLEMENT after all.

The big things when it comes to a meal replacement or protein powder for me are was it easily digestible, did it keep me full, and how was the taste. Yes this digested very well for me. 4 scoops would almost get me on the verge of feeling bloated, but instead it was that full feeling after a big meal. If it was any more servings this would have made me feel bloated, but as it is worked fine and digested really well for me. The goal for this was to drink it around 9am, and keep me full until noon. It did just that, I was more reliant on the actual clock to eat lunch than my hunger. For 3 hours this would keep me nice and full, but at times I was busy I got to that 4 hour mark and was hungry, so there are limits to this. Finally, the taste I enjoyed. While some people do not play this in as a big factor, when it comes to protein or meal replacements in this day and age, you need it to taste good because your competition already has that figured out. Good to go here. I thoroughly enjoyed using this as a true meal replacement.

You can get this from DPS Nutrition currently at $59.99 for 25 servings (100 scoops), depending on how you take this. That comes out to $2.40 per serving which I think is okay. At first glance you may think its expensive, but its basically a meal, so I judge this off it being breakfast for me. I would pay more for a breakfast elsewhere with the convenience this has, so I think its a fair price especially when I factor in how useful of a product this was for me.

Side Effects

Conclusion

So yes, I did enjoy this MRE much more than the military's version. Yes I know the military has updated their MRE's over the years, but I am old school and stared eating MREs in 1999, so I prefer delicious dutch apple pie over that any day of the week. In all seriousness if you are looking for a meal replacement then you should consider this, because it is a great option. I could have rated this product higher, but until REDCON1 fully discloses the amount of each protein included and shows an amino acid profile, I have to stop in the 8's. I highly recommend this and stamp it with the DaSlaya stamp of approval!
  • Dutch Apple Pie: 8/10

Other Prices:
Fitness First USA   $59.95
Ill Pump You Up   $63.95
Best Price Nutrition   $79.99

July 30, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Convenient
  • No Bloating
  • Low Fat
  • A Bit Chalky
  • No Amino Profile

The Dutch Apple Pie tasted okay. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. The macros are decent, but there's no amino profile, so I'm unsure of the protein quality. It is reasonably priced, but I would pass on this one.

I'm a personal trainer, and right now, we don't have a fridge at work, so my lunch options are limited. I saw MRE in the Troops program and thought it would be a good alternative to beef jerky or buying restaurant food. I've had Redcon1 products before and enjoyed them, so my expectations were high.

Right now, I'm cutting vanity pounds, so the MRE shake was my largest meal of the day. I also fast one day a week.

One serving is 4 scoops (130g) and gives us 525 calories, 47g protein, 75g carbs (8g fiber, 5g sugar), and 4g fat >1 saturated. We also have 250mg potassium and 200mg sodium.

I would like to see more fat, though, as this is a meal replacement and 4g is pretty low. It would be nice to see 10-15g of fat and to bring the carbs down a bit (to keep the calories the same).

I like that the product uses rolled oats for carbs.

This is a diary free product. The protein is a blend of beef, salmon, chicken, egg, brown rice, and pea protein. I really wish Redcon1 gave us an amino profile here.

Usually beef protein products are just collagen which is good for your skin, but offers nothing in terms of a quality protein source. Salmon protein powder is similarly untrustworthy, and I couldn't even find anything on chicken protein powder that wasn't marketing.

47g of protein is good amount, but we don't know what all the protein actually is.

I asked for, and received, the Dutch Apple Pie. When I opened the tub, I got that smell of cinnamon that tells you that you're about to eat apple pie. I was excited. Unfortunately, the taste did not live up to the scent, 6.5/10.

The initial taste was alright, but the finish was really earthy. It wasn't a beet flavor but it reminded me of beets. It's hard to describe. It lingered through which was the real issue.

The mixability was okay. I didn't have any big clumps but it was a little sludgy when I used my shaker bottle.

I used 4 scoops in 16 oz of water.

For me, the product was fairly effective. It was quick and convenient, easy on my stomach, and it kept me full for hours, which is what I needed.

My training has been going pretty well the past six weeks, but I'm in my off season now and not chasing any PRs, so I can't say anything cool like my recovery has improved X amount since I started taking this product.

Honestly, I'm not pushing myself that hard right now, compared to what I'm used to doing.

One tub is $72, and has 25 servings, so we're looking at $2.88. This is actually pretty good for an MRP. I compared this product to two others and one was over $3 serving and the other was $1.6 serving, but only had half the calories, so if you double scooped it, you're looking at $3.2/serving.

All of these options are cheaper than buying takeout (save the $1 menu), so if that's your other option, there's clearly decent value here.

I would have rated the value higher if I had liked the taste.

Side Effects

Conclusion

All in all, this was a decent rough draft, but it needs refinement to be a good final product. If Redcon1 were to (1) give us the amino profile, (2) fix the flavoring, and (3) add more fat, they would have a knockout product.
  • Dutch Apple Pie: 6/10

July 26, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Whole Food Sources
  • Taste Great
  • Lactose Free
  • Dextrose
  • Ace-K
  • Low Fat

MRE is a decent competitor to similar products from 5% Nutrition (Real Carbs) and Blackstone Labs (Fast Food). Interestingly, each of the products are similar but also extremely unique in their approach. MRE combines great taste with well-balanced protein and carbohydrate sources, but its lack of fat and use of beef protein isolate leave something to be desired. Still, MRE is a great meal replacement option for most persons in the market for one.

I claimed MRE on TROOPS because 1) I want to try more Redcon1 products and 2) I have been wanting to try MRE since I learned of its release because it is an interesting competitor to 5%'s Real Food (now Real Carbs) - of which I had tried a sample from my brother.

8.5/10
4 scoops (130g) provides us with 525 calories, 4g (1g saturated) of fat, 75g of carbohydrate (8g of fiber and 5g of sugar), and 47g of protein. Just from a macro-nutritional standpoint, that is pretty good. That's a fair amount of calories with a decent amount of protein and not an exorbitant amount of carbohydrates. In fact, I'd almost say that this breakdown (or something close to it) would be ideal, but I think the fat content is too low. 4g of fat to replace a meal is just not enough. I'd like to see closer to 10g of fat from healthy sources (Avocado, olive oil, mcts, etc.), even if it meant reducing the carbohydrate and protein content a little. I know that wouldn't necessarily fit with everyone's macros but I think 10g would be a reasonable amount to replace a meal and work for most people.

From a micro-nutritional standpoint, MRE is definitely a top contender in the meal replacement arena. Carbohydrate sources are rolled oats, dehydrated yams, dehydrated sweet potato, pea starch, dehydrated blueberries, and dehydrated goji berries in that order. Not only is that a mix of healthy, complex carbohydrate sources, but it also gets some fruits and veggies in there which is always great for overall health. No complaints from the carbohydrate sources. Protein sources, however, are a different story.

MRE derives its protein content from a proprietary blend of beef protein isolate, salmon protein, chicken protein, egg albumin, brown rice protein, and pea protein. Beef, brown rice, and pea proteins are typically less optimal sources due to their amino acid profiles. I'm not really concerned though with the brown rice or pea protein though. I feel that this replicates a real meal where some small amount of the protein content will be coming from starch sources. That being said, I don't like that beef protein isolate is the first, and therefore main, source of protein in MRE. Any concerns from an amino acid profile from these sources could of course be mitigated with an amino acid profile on the side of container (hint hint). The good thing about using this wide range of protein sources, however, is that it replicates a well-balanced meal and gives you a more accurate mix of amino acid profiles. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing milk protein isolate replace beef protein isolate as the first protein source or seeing beef protein isolate pushed behind egg albumin.

MRE also uses MCT oil as a source of fat, however it is unclear how much of the small fat content (4g) is coming from the protein sources so who knows how much of it is from MCT oil. Again I would like to see more fat because I think its healthier and in that case you'd know that a decent amount of the fat content is coming from good sources like MCT oil.

There is also some coconut water powder for hydration, which is a nice albeit small plus.

I received the Sweet Potato Pie flavor and it was delicious. It really tasted like pie to the point where I would crave it in the mornings. I could seriously drink it all day.

I mixed 3-4 scoops with anywhere from 14-20 oz of water. It mixed well with a blender bottle and the ball whisk but I feel that it would have been much better in a blender (big surprise, right?). The oats were in powder form so there wasn't any oats clinging to the bottle or anything like with the Real Food sample I had way back when (not sure if the Real Carbs form has changed this any). Yet, there was still some left to be desired in mixability. I would typically get a few unmixed clumps at first and sometimes even further in.

I found that using around 14-16 oz with 3 scoops mitigated most of these but there was always a little bit of the powder that went unmixed no matter what I did. Thankfully it wasn't much and it didn't taste so bad that it ruined my appetite. I almost always had this in the morning for breakfast. I started off with 4 scoops then moved to 3 scoops towards the end. I once had it for lunch and once for a snack.

8.5/10
MRE is an extremely effective meal replacement. Having 3-4 scoops for breakfast always left me content, but not stuffed. I could last from 7:30-12:00 (noon) without getting too hungry. It was always sat light in my stomach as well. The one time I used it as a substitute for lunch, I had a similar experience. I was hungry around 6 hours later when I got off work but felt content and energized at my desk. I never crashed or got the itis (sleepiness after high carbohydrate intake) like I have after big meals for both breakfast and lunch. Furthermore, I felt a clean energy in a way that I hadn't really before. Also, it made for a quick lunch which can be useful for stressful and busy days. When I used this as a snack, I just had one scoop since I had already eaten dinner. I found that the macros were great for a snack and I felt completely satisfied. My sweet tooth cravings were gone for the time being and I didn't ruin my diet. All in all, I think this was near perfect for a meal replacement. I would rate this even higher if I didn't have concerns about amino acid profiles and fat content. In that case, this may even be a 10. If you don't share those concerns then you should definitely look into this.

7.5/10
MRE can commonly be found for $79.99 for 25 servings (100 scoops). Yet, it can almost always be found on at least some sort of sale that typically brings it down to the $59.99-70.00 range. Currently, Redcon1 is has a 25% off sale that makes it the former. Now, this is almost identical pricing to Blackstone Lab's competitor Fast Food as the cheapest I could find it for is $59.99 for 56 scoops. If you try to equalize that a bit based on calorie count, Fast Food provides close to 19 servings (495 calories, 3 scoops) to MRE's 25 (525 calories). So clearly, just on that alone, it is the better deal. However, I find it only fair to compare it to 5%'s Real Carbs* since that is what seemed to spur the introduction of Redcon1 and Blackstone Lab's products. I found Real Carbs* for $41.95-$43.95. Although Real Carbs* lacks much more protein and so a caloric equalization isn't perfect, doing so would give you about 12 servings (550 calories, 5 scoops) to MRE's 25 (525 calories).

Breaking each of those down gives:
MRE - $2.40/Serving or $0.60/scoop
Fast Food - $3.16/Equalized serving or $1.07/Actual serving (scoop)
Real Carbs* - $3.50/Equalized serving or $0.70/Actual serving (scoop)

Hence, Redcon1 seems to be the clear winner in terms of value among similar products. So why the 7.5/10? Because 1) Without amino acid profile concerns addressed we could be getting less than we think from this product 2) Carbs are relatively cheap, and while some of these protein sources may not be (salmon protein - but again no way to tell just how much is in here), I feel that there could be a little extra something for the price (again I suggest a fat source) and 3) While this is convenient, it is not cheaper nor more effective than a DIY oats and (insert protein powder of choice, and maybe milk) shake - if had a blender handy you could even add your own fruit for cheaper. That being said, you are definitely paying for the flavoring, convenience, brand, etc. but I think $59.99 should and could be the regular go to price - not $79.99. Making the $59.99 price point permanent and addressing my aforementioned concerns with the profile could make this a 9/10 for value in my mind.

*Note: I compared this to Real Carbs, not Real Carbs Rice

Side Effects

I received no side effects from taking MRE.

Conclusion

8.4/10
I got to an 8.4/10 by averaging the scores for Ingredient Profile, Taste/Mixability/Dosing, Effectiveness, and Value as each of these are near equally important for a meal replacement (how well is it replicating a meal, does it taste good enough to actually drink, does it do that well, and is it affordable to really be considered in your supplement rotation). This gave a 8.375/10 which I rounded to 8.4/10. I did not add or subtract anything else because I thought this was an apt rating for MRE. In short, MRE is perhaps the all-encompassing best meal replacement supplement on the market, but that does not mean there is no room for improvement.
  • Sweet Potato Pie: 9/10

July 22, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Whole Food Sources
  • Taste Great
  • Lactose Free
  • No Digestion Issues

Initially, as a sole meal replacement product I was very impressed with how MRE performed, and when I would experiment with the dosing, it was a well put together post workout meal. The nutrition aspect of this product is top notch which leads to why it is so easily digestible in the body. This is a very impressive meal replacement product.

Big thanks to the guys over at Redcon1 for having faith in the trooper program and giving us the opportunity to test out MRE. The name of the game is Macros, and hitting them is a real pain in the a$*. Sometimes life gets in the way, and you do not always have access to a microwave or stovetop to where you can get your calories and daily nutritional goals. Redcon1 has come up with an easy solution to this problem. They bring us MRE (Meal Ready to Eat). This is a true meal replacement shake designed to help the user hit their daily macros and caloric goals. I always love these products because it is interesting to see how companies go about trying to replace real whole food with powders. Let's see how they did.

Redcon1's answer to replacing real whole food is to use real whole food in a powdered form. When I first heard about this product I figured there was no way this was going to work or even taste good, but based off of the following nutrition profile I was wrong:

Serving Size: 4 Scoops (130g)
    Servings Per Container: 25
    Total Carbohydrate 75g
    Dietary Fiber 8g
    Sugar 5g
    Protein 47g

Other Ingredients: Rolled oats, protein blend, salmon protein, chicken protein, egg albumin, brown rice protein, and pea protein, dehydrated yam, dehydrated sweet potato, pea starch, coconut water powder, dehydrated blueberry fruit, dehydrated goji fruit, maltodextrin, dextrose, MCT oil, natural flavor, cellulose gum, cinnamon, salt, sucralose, acesulfame potassium.

As you can see, 1 4 scoop serving is going to give you a lot in the world of macronutrient. The impressive part is this product is not delivering nutrients via whey proteins or even soy for that matter. Your protein sources are real whole food sources such as salmon, chicken, egg, brown rice, and pea proteins. Your carbohydrates are also from whole foods via rolled oats, yams, sweet potatoes, fruits, and starches, with dextrose bringing up the rear. Fats are brought to you through the MCT oil that is used.

Again, when this product first came out and I saw the ingredients profile, I laughed....hysterically. There was no way this was going to taste good or even close to what it should taste like, and it was going to be one of those products that users will just have to choke down for the sake of meeting their goals. I was wrong in every single way, and now after using this product, I have even more respect for why whole food sources are the best for our bodies rather than whey and soy protein powders. More to come on this in the following sections.

So for the important aspect of this review, how did this taste? Well, I asked and received the Dutch apple pie flavor. This section will generate what is probably my biggest complaint. If there is one dessert in the world that I love it is a good Dutch apple pie. Very few things out there can replicate that kind of flavor and taste, and unfortunately, MRE did not do that. With that being said, this product still tastes amazing. The best way I can describe the flavor would be eating a package of Quaker instant oatmeal that is cinnamon apple flavor. Again, that is an awesome flavor in my world and I can eat that one all day without getting tired of it. Same goes for MRE. While it was less Dutch Apple, and more cinnamon apple oatmeal, it was still fantastic. You honestly cannot taste anything other than that flavor. You would never know that there is a protein derived from fish in this, or yams, or sweet potatoes, that is how well they did flavoring this.

Mixability was superb as well. As it has been said before, 4 scoops of anything is a lot and you are bound to have some clumping. that word does not exist with this product. I would add anywhere from 2-4 scoops in about 16oz of milk and enjoy. Neither dosing yielded any issues for me or my shaker cup.

Dosing, as I have already eluded to was anywhere from 2-4 scoops. I found using 2 scoops was perfect for right after my workout, because it delivered a solid dose of protein, but was also higher in the carbs for that post-workout window. Even at 2 scoops, this would keep me full until it was time to eat, and even then I would have to tell myself that it was time to eat because I really was not that hungry. 4 scoops felt like a legitimate 3-course meal in regards to how full I felt.

As I just mentioned, this product will keep you full. I have used beverages that had more protein in it and added my own source of carbohydrates that were not as effective as this. To me, that speaks volumes about how effective real food is, rather than a whey product that you are using to try and fill the macro gap.

The second thing that I noticed was my body overall felt better using a product like this, where it was digesting natural food sources like it would at any other meal, rather than protein derived from dairy processing. I felt better recovered from workouts because my body was getting real nutrition and real protein to help rebuild muscles that had been torn down during the workout to where DOMS were noticeably reduced.

Finally, the biggest thing I noticed, was a lack of stomach bloat or digestion issues. This is more impressive based on the fact of the sheer serving size that you can with this. 47g of protein and 75g of carbohydrates is a lot for the body to process at once, and it could lead to some discomfort, but not if you are using this product. Again, the worst thing that you will feel, is just really full which is impressive to me. Because there are no digestion issues, you can tell that your body is utilizing everything that this product has to offer, rather than some, and the rest goes down the toilet.

This product does not come cheap. Plain and simple. Everywhere you look, you are going to see the same $80 price tag which means $3.20 per serving if you are dosing at the 4 scoop dose. While this might cause some sticker shock, you need to understand that this is not just a protein shake product, but an actual meal. If you can think like that, then compare how much a meal at a fast food place will cost, you will find that this is priced well, and also A LOT healthier of an option.

Side Effects

None to report.

Conclusion

Summed up in one word: IMPRESSIVE. I really mean it. While it was not a true Dutch apple pie flavor, it was still delicious and delivered on everything it needed to. The mixability, flavor, and ease of digestion really sold me on how great of a product this is, and who truly important real food is for our bodies. I would 100% recommend this to anyone who wants a drink that will help them reach their macro and caloric goals without using cheap products that will leave them unfulfilled and have digestive issues. Big thanks to Redcon1 for putting together such a great product and allowing me to test it for them.
    • Dutch Apple Pie: 8/10

July 15, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Whole Food Sources
    • Mixes Well
    • A Bit Chalky

Redcon1's MRE has a killer Macro panel to translate from your shaker bottle to lean gains and the taste is good but not great.

I want to start by thanking Redcon1 for another awesome product sent out to the TROOPs for feedback.

I typically have a liquid breakfast that's high in protein following my morning lift. I also like to make sure I'm getting in my carbs. I don't fast myself from carbs to meet some kind of aesthetic goal, and am much more interested in overdosing on them to meet my daily physical goals instead. I also need to make sure I get plenty of protein every day to ensure I am well-fueled for my personal glory sesh celebrated daily from around 4:30-6am. This is why I elected to try MRE. It has a great macro panel that is high in protein and carbohydrates, but very low in fat. It seemed like the perfect meal replacement.

MRE's ingredients consist of a real food blend that result in an outstanding panel of Macros.

Each 4-scoop serving will yield 47g of protein, 75g of sugar, and 4g of fat with less than 1g being saturated. Altogether you are taking in 525k/cal per serving.

It's refreshing that the protein sources themselves are also not comprised of just whey and milk proteins, as is typically the case. Instead, MRE utilizes beef, salmon, chicken, egg, brown rice, and peas as protein sources. Similarly, while maltodextrin and dextrose are used later in the ingredient panel, the leading source of carbohydrates comes from rolled oats; and fat sources appear mainly to be MCT oil.

Overall, this is a blend I'd feel comfortable giving even to my child and which always sits well and seems to digest comfortably.

Dosing: I typically took this immediately after my workout at 6-6:30am as a replacement for my breakfast.

Mixability: 4 scoops of anything is a lot, but despite my expectations otherwise, MRE mixed well. I normally mixed by hand in a shaker bottle, and if I had the little wire ball in there I rarely got clumps. Without it, I'd usually have small clumps. Sometimes the powder would also get stuck and kind of cemented around the hole in the cap that you drink from and I'd need to push it back in to mix the rest. For the amount of powder used, it was very soluble.

Taste: I received banana nut bread and wasn't a huge fan. It wasn't terrible, but I did start to get sick of it by the end of the 2nd week. There was a noticeable bitterness in the aftertaste and it was pretty chalky, which I'm guessing is particularly a result of the beef and pea proteins. As I started to get sick of it, I began experimenting and found that mixing 3 scoops of the MRE and adding 1 scoop of a maple-flavored whey concentrate powder created a more well-rounded banana nut bread flavor. It took off the bitterness and made it much more palatable. This had an effect on the macros, effectively boosting protein content while reducing carbs and total calories slightly, but didn't seem to affect satiety.

With consistent use of MRE as a breakfast replacement, I noticed an improvement in body composition and was full for hours after drinking it. It seemed my DOMS were noticeably diminished and my body felt nourished for a long period of time.

The satiety was noticeably different than what I experience when using just whey protein sources. This blend of proteins that MRE contains all absorb at different rates with different levels of bioavailability.

Overall, it checked off pretty much every box of consideration for me when evaluating a meal replacement: mixability, satiety, macros, and taste. Again, taste wasn't the best, but it was drinkable nonetheless.

MRE costs about $80 anywhere you go. Sometimes there are sales, like right now there is a BOGO sale on the Key Lime flavor which I might spring for; but expect to pay $80 + taxes & shipping.

That seems like a lot but this is truly not just a protein shake. It's a legitimate meal replacement from real food sources. At 25 servings, I'm spending $3.20 per use but it was wholly replacing my breakfast. If that's my price target for breakfast I'd be hard pressed to find an option that would ever provide the same macros this does.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I plan to buy this again and would recommend it to others looking for a meal replacement as well. It's incredibly healthy and gave my body the fuel it needed to take me all the way to lunch most days. The price tag is steep to pay at once, but consider it your breakfast for the month. You may find the taste a bit off-putting, but it isn't terrible and tastes way better than egg whites and wheat germ. I say give it a shot.

Thanks again to Redcon1!
    • Banana nut bread: 6/10

April 29, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Whole Food Sources
    • High Quality Protein
    • Big Tub - One Flavor

Unique product by Redcon, superb taste and quality. Without doubt the best tasting supplement I ever had

Redcon is a well known and appreciated brand at SR.com. I noticed they put out a MRE a while back and the ingredient profile looked that unique I had to give it a try. I have been looking for some quality food for office hours. Too busy to get a decent meal. A desk job isn't best for your physique and salads well they keep me hungry and pretty sad to be honest.

As is said, the ingredient profile is pretty unique. There is 47 grams of protein in a full dose. The protein is a mixture of beef, salmon, chicken, egg, brown rice and pea. There is yams, sweet potato, some blueberry and coconut water for some hydration. To top it off some maltodextrin, dextrose, MCT oil. It includes some dietary fiber and just 35 calories from fat.
    Just one sidenote on this amazing profile; I would like to know just how much of each protein is in there. Brown rice and pea protein are cheaper proteins. They are listed last in the blend, which suggests they are least dosed, but no way to be sure.

Mixes perfectly. A full dose consists of 4 large scoops; 130 gram. That's a lot, but it mixes just fine. I would suggest using a shaker. You could use a full dose if you would like to gain weight. For a meal replacement 2/3 scoops was sufficient for me. That would keep me full and really replace my lunch.
    Where MRE really shines is in the taste department. I have honestly never had ANY supplement that tasted this good. I ordered the sweet potato flavour which was awesome. With different orders I received some sample packages banana bread which tasted awesome too.
    If I had one suggestion for Redcon it would be too look at the packaging. If its used as a meal replacement product, as it is intended, the flavour gets monotonous. Nobody wants to have the same lunch for a month. The size of the tub doesn't work in the advantage. If you would get two different flavours you would have to clean out a kitchen cabinet. If there was some type of packaging with different types of flavours I would definitely buy it.

A MRE should replace a meal.as the name suggests. Redcon MRE did just what it's supposed to do and more. My bowel movement got better and I lost some weight. MRE is a good meal product to replace a meal and depending on the dosage could be used to either lose weight; it's a perfect meal substitution full of protein without too much fat. If you are on a bulking/weight gaining regiment you could use the full 4 scoops and even add -not just replace- a meal.

Redcon's MRE is not cheap. Amazon sells a tub of 25 servings for 67 dollars. That's 2,70 a serving. At the moment Muscle & Strength is running a limited time price cut for 53 dollars. That's just over 2 dollars a serving. I believe you should rate the value of the product considering -it's purpose. If its really a meal replacement -what it is- you are actually saving money. You can't get a lunch for 2 dollars, or even 2,70.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Redcon MRE is an excellent and unique product. The price looks pretty steep, but it would be more accurately to state it is a lot of money. Considering what is is intended for -looking at the bigger picture- it's actually alright. You are basically buying lunch for 2 dollars a day. The taste is absolutely stunning, the ingredient profile is great, especially the protein section. One little -real little- side note here; I would like to know how much of each type of protein is in there. A quality brand like Redcon should give that type of info.
    • Sweet Potato Pie: 10/10

Overall
    Overall
    9.5
      September 12, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Whole Food Sources
    • Lactose Free

First, apologies to Redcon1 for not getting this done sooner. Still trying to adjust to life with a baby and not getting as much sleep as I'm used to. Still, I have a commitment to hold up my end of the bargain and I know it will feel good to finally get this review done. Thanks for bearing with me. Second, alluding to the title, yes I have eaten many real MREs but no I am not in the military. My dad used to buy them for camping when I was a kid.

Over the years I have gotten more and more educated about supplements and, ironically, I have gotten less and less enamored with the lure of using them. Granted my goals have changed as well. I'm no longer into bodybuilding and have throw myself full force into cycling (not that kind of cycling you knuckleheads, I mean riding a road bike!). I feel like most supplements out there in each category are 99% the same thing with different labels. I barely use anything now and I don't feel like most things are worth the money. I've gotten more and more into making sure I get everything from quality, all natural, whole food sources.

However, I do still use a protein shake for breakfast because it's fast, easy, and doesn't make me feel sick in the morning like if I eat whole foods. I was aware of MRE before it came up to review and noticed that it truly was something different. I had to pull the trigger on it when I saw the opportunity and I'm so glad I did because I loved every minute of using it and I miss having it even now!

This is what attracted me to want to try this product. The ingredient list is like nothing else out there on the market now. As I said I have an interest in getting as much whole foods as possible into my diet and this is a step towards whole food from your typical protein or weight gainer product.

SALMON PROTEIN, CHICKEN PROTEIN, WHAAAAAAAT? Obviously, the most notable thing about this product is the protein blend. Other proteins in here are egg, beef, pea, and brown rice. Those I am familiar with but not the salmon or chicken protein. It's a nice blend of whole food proteins but I could have done without the cheaper, poorer quality pea and brown rice proteins. At least they are listed last in the blend (and therefore in the least amounts) so I can live with it. Carbs come primarily from oatmeal, backed up with some sweet potato and yam (no they're not the same thing; look it up). Again, nice whole food sources and not your typical maltodextrin blend. Fats brought to you by MCT oil and I assume whatever is naturally occurring in the other ingredients. Other than that you have a little "superfood" type blend of Goji berry and Blueberry. I'm not sure if that is included for taste or what because it seems like there's only a small amount, but okay that's fine. Finally, you get some coconut water for some potassium which is always welcome in my book. Also this has ZERO cholesterol, which I don't really care a out but it cool to see for those who may.

It does have some maltodextrin, dextrose, and artificial sweeteners for the flavor that I wish weren't in there, but they are again low in the list and I have a feeling just used for flavor, not as a primary ingredient. I don't love the artifical sweetners but, in my opinion, the flavoring systems have not gotten to the point where all natural products taste decent enough. Hopefully they will get there soon because I am a fan of all natural.

Overall it's a pretty "bodybuilder" profile of low fat, high carb, and high protein.

So typically I mixed 2 rounded scoops (half serving) with about 16oz of whole milk and had it on my way to work. It would keep me full for about 2-3 hours depending on how many miles I had recently ridden. On occasion I'd throw an extra scoop in if I was feeling really hungry. I like powdered products because they're more versatile. It's basically just food so you can use whatever suits your individual caloric needs.

Mixability was OUTSTANDING! I used a regular blender bottle with the wire ball. 8-10 light shakes and it was mixed. No clumping around the top, no chunks, no mess. Literally unbelievable for a product like this and yes I'm aware of what literally means. I still actually, in fact, don't believe what I witnessed. I mean seriously, I have used whey isolates that don't mix as well as MRE did in milk which is insane. It's the little things like this that make a product a joy to use and can make it or break it for me.

Finally, what about the TAAAAAASTE right??!?! With all that weird protein in there it must taste like fish right? NOPE. This was THE BEST tasting product I have ever used, PERIOD. I have never rated taste a 10 before now. I had the sweet potato pie. Now I have never had sweet potato pie, but if it tastes like this then I need to try that. The comparison I came up with was that is tasted like a really delicious oatmeal graham cracker pie crust with cinnamon and everything. So yummy. You're probably thinking "well yeah anything tastes good when you mix it with whole milk", and you'd be right. However, I did try MRE with water for comparison and it was still really good. Granted, mixing it with whole milk did take it to another level.

MRE did exactly what I wanted it to do. I needed some quality, easily digestible calories for breakfast that would fill me up for a few hours until lunch. As I said, I am not currently weight training so I can't comment on gains or anything like that but I can say recovery from my cycling was good and I was able to push hard each and every ride. I realize that this is marketed as a bodybuilding supplement and most of you will use it differently than I did. However, I have done the whole bulk/cut routine before and if you are someone who does struggle to get enough whole foods to reach that goal then this product is a great option for helping you pack on some fairly lean muscle. It's certainly better than most of the cheap weight gainers out there that will mostly just help you get fat. In a smaller serving (2 scoops) as a meal replacement or a larger serving (4 scoops) as a gainer I don't think you can go wrong with MRE if you value the things I've outlined so far.

Something I think we forget many times is that a mass gainer, whole food powder, or even a basic protein powder, is really a food item. As such, I think we should really judge the value of a serving by what an equivalent whole food source would cost us instead of thinking of of it as an "extra" supplement. What I mean is, if we are not using that protein supplement we are still going to get those macros in from whole food sources and that will cost us money just the same. This can't really be said about something like a pre workout, Creatine, Nitric Oxide, BCAA, etc. We can still get very effective workouts without using those supplements and so I consider them "extra". I think most of us have been guilty of judging protein based supplements like this at some point; lumping them all in together with the "extra" supplements of which value should be judged a little differently. I know I have.

So that said, how does MRE stack up? It looks like $80 is where you are at for a tub of this. This was consistent over every site I checked including Amazon. Definitely some sticker shock there but lets break it down. For my purposes I only used 1/2 serving. As I said, mixed with 16oz of whole milk half a serving provided plenty of macros for me. So this provided me 50 servings at $1.60 each (262.5kCal P 23.5g C 37.5g F 2g). If you want to include the milk at .25 cents a serving ($2.00 for 128oz, 128oz/16oz=8 servings, $2/8 servings= .25 cents) you're at $1.85 per serving (582.5 kCal P 39.5g C 61.5g F 18g). In my opinion you will be hard pressed to beat those numbers from whole food alone for that cost. I'm sure you could if you really try, but when you factor in the delicious flavor and convenience this is clearly a great value. Now all that said do I wish it was cheaper? Hell yeah, of course I do, I wish everything was cheaper!

So that is by far the most exhaustive insight into the value of any product I have ever reviewed. This part of the review literally took me over an hour to write, but I hope maybe it can help someone think differently about the value of their protein products. Apply this same reasoning to other protein/whole food products in the market and it might provide a unique way of looking at things. Bro tip gentleman, this is how I justify a lot of purchases to my wife. "Well hun, if I don't get these macros here I'm just going to spend as much or more on whole food somewhere else." She is yet to come up with a way to circumvent my argument ;)

Side Effects

None. No upset stomach, bathroom trips, or anything.

Conclusion

Man, I have not had as much fun using and reviewing a product in a long time. Truly well done by Recon1 for putting together something so unique and delicious. If all supplement companies paid attention to the details like this one did then maybe the industry wouldn't be such a crap show. After becoming quite disillusioned with supplements and the industry in general MRE showed me there was a beacon of hope in an otherwise murky landscape. I hope in the future more companies can take a lead and really get outside the box in this category like Redcon1 did with MRE. But for now MRE stands alone. If it's a product that fits your needs give it a try. You won't regret it. I know I will be ordering some of the Blueberry Cobbler flavor to try pretty soon!
      • Sweet Potato Pie: 10/10

Overall
      Overall
      9.2
      9.2
        August 3, 2017

• Dextrose
      Introduction + Supplement facts
      Huge thank you to RedCon1 for their support of the SR Troops program. This review is for MRE or meals ready to eat. I have tired other products that redcon1 has made though the trooper program and I've seen great results. When the company put up MRE for review I was excited to give it a try.
      Redcon1 did a great job with the profile of this product. Unlike similar products MRE uses real or whole foods sources. Which might explain one reason why the cost is so high. Also MRE has no whey for the protein sources but use real food like beef, chicken, eggs, and salmon. You will also get MCT oil for your healthy fats for the people that are the bulletproof diet. Also you will get rolled oats for your carbohydrates source. Now redcon1 does not give you and exact breakdown of how much beef is in it. Like the label doesn't say 4oz of grass fed beef. So if you are wanted and exact number I know redcon1 made a video talking about the amount of food that is used in MRE.
      Taste + Mixability + Dosing
      The taste of MRE was amazing has to be one of the best tasting stuff on the market. The flavor I received was blueberry cobbler which smells and taste amazing. It smells like a blueberry muffin so good. The mixability side of it you have to use a blender. The 4 scoops that are used for each serving will not fit in a shaker cup plus adding the water.

Effectiveness 9.2/10
      MRE is a great product for anyone that is looking for a meal on the go or too busy to eat. This stuff was great at keeping me full in-between my meals or if I was having a really busy day and knew it would be a while before I ate again. Also the other good aspect is you are getting real food sources. Which was really nice because I felt fuller versus other products that would make my stomach feel bloated and really gassy. MRE never made me feel this way it was really easy to digest and I didn't have any issues. The other aspect that I really like it that it's easy to make for those on the go days. Normally I would make the shake the night before just like coach Rich Piana would and then it would be nice a cold the following day. With the whole food sources that are used in MRE like the chicken, beef, eggs, and salmon along with the rolled oats it really made a difference with helping me stay full longer along with giving me more energy during the day.

Value 6.0/10
      Now for being a whole food meal replacement the price of this stuff is not cheap. But you are getting a quality product. I would buy MRE again but only if I had the extra cash to do so. The cheapest place was DPS nutrition where a 25 serving tub goes for 79.99 which is 3.19 per serving. Not cheap by any means.

Side Effects

Zero side effects

Conclusion

MRE is at the top of the class when it comes to a meal replacement but the cost alone will drive people away. Unless you have the money and don't really care about spending it MRE would be something I would only buy if it's on a really good sale. But this product is worth a try.
      • Blueberry Cobbler: 10/10

Overall
      Overall
      7.1
      6.2
        July 27, 2017

• Slightly Expensive

I have tried a lot of weight gainers, but this was my 1st meal replacement product. The title MRE provoked a bad taste in my mouth at 1st, having been in southeast Texas when Rita blew through I hope to never have to taste an actual MRE again. So let's see how this faired.

If you go with the full serving of 4 scoops you come out with 47g of protein, 75g of carbs, 4g of fat and 8g of fiber. The protein is sourced from some different places than I am used to seeing, salmon, rice, chicken, etc.

I received the sweet potato pie flavor and I have to say it was pretty good. There is the slight taste of oats in there from the carb sources, but I have found that it's almost impossible to mask oats with any flavor.
      Mixing was tough, with that many scoops you are going to need an extra large blender bottle or an actual blender. If you use anything other than an actual blender there are going to be some clumps.
      As for dosing I would usually take a serving or half serving about an hour and a half before my workouts.

As is mentioned in the name the point of this is to replace a meal, the ratio of macros does a pretty good job of mimicking a decent Pre workout meal for me at a half serving. It filled me up to get me to my workout with energy, but it didn't make me feel overly full. There was no bloating or stomach discomfort on most of the days. There were a few instances when I went with the full 4 scoop serving size in place of a meal and it definitely served purpose, you won't be hungry again for awhile. Like with protein I didn't notice a whole lot of effects on my body with this other than being full and how my digestive system handled it.

This stuff is pricey. It's a supplement but at the same time you can use it as "food" so when you get a decent ratio for a meal in powder form 3ish per serving isn't terribly bad. But still $80 for a product is hard to swallow.

Side Effects

None here whatsoever

Conclusion

I went into this product with an open mind for both the company and product, and I have to say I was very happy with pretty much every aspect of this product, mixing could be better but with so much packed in here that gets a pass. If I can find this on sale somewhere I will be stocking up for quite awhile.
      • Sweet Potato Pie: 8/10