Select Protein Reviews

By: PES

Protein > Blended Protein
Select Protein is a Blended Protein Powder manufactured by PES. It contains a blend of different types of protein and will promote lean muscle mass and fat loss.

May 10, 2018

• Meets Label Claims
  • Creative Flavors
  • Artificial FlavorsSweeteners
  • Sucralose And Ace-K
I have finished a 55 serve of cookies n' cream and a 27 serving of strawberry cheesecake. I am a huge fan of Select Protein and I can't wait to try a few other flavors.

Each scoop is 31g and roughly 110 calories (depending on flavor). These calories come from 1.5g of fat, <1g carbohydrates, and 24g of protein. The protein in this product is a milk protein isolate blend consisting of casein and whey protein concentrate at 80%. PES also includes Pepform Leucine Peptides by Glanbia Nutritionals, a leucine that is more bioavailable than normal freeform leucine. PES includes natural and artificial flavors along with sucralose and acesulfame potassium.

All of my flavor reviews will be based on mixing with 6 ounces of water.
Cookies n' Cream by PES is one of my personal favorite protein flavors, it is fairly sweet and comparable to an Oreo shake, 9/10. I also got a tub of the limited edition Strawberry Cheesecake flavor, I was not a huge fan of this one. It had real strawberry pieces but they did not add much to the flavor, it was mostly just an overly sweet cheesecake flavor, 4/10.
Mixability was easy, just a few wrist flicks in a bottle (no blender ball) with water and the protein was well mixed.
Dosage would depend on your personal macro goals, but this protein is pretty clean so adjusting as needed would be easy.

The effectiveness of whey protein is mostly based on how well you digest the protein powder, with this blend from PES I experienced no GI distress or bloating like I have with other proteins before. I am a fan of protein blends because there is research on the increased amino acid level in serum over time being more important than increased amino acid levels in serum for short periods. They also seem to be easier to digest than isolates.

A 55-serving tub goes for $47-49, and the 27-serving tub goes for $27-29. This protein is pricey for a protein powder but not too expensive for a blend. I will purchase it again if there is a sale or if I have some extra cash.

Side Effects

Conclusion
PES Select Protein is one of the best protein powders I have tried as far as digestibility and flavor, but it is a bit expensive.
  • Cookies 'n Cream: 9/10
  • Strawberry Cheesecake: 4/10

Overall
Overall
9.5
  July 12, 2017

• Can Clump

The goal with my reviews is to use a consistent format that is: to the point, provides context of how I used the product, and references what I'm personally comparing it to (see "Personal Rank" in Conclusion section).

THREE IMPORTANT NOTES

1.) I like protein blends. While there is some evidence blends perform marginally better in protein synthesis than whey or casein alone, you won't see my decision driven by the "effectiveness".

Whey tends to be runny when mixed with water. Casein tends to be thick when mixed with milk. I mix my protein with different liquids and so I migrate towards protein blends. Like goldilocks, for me they're "juuuuuust right". Simple as that.

2.) Artificial sweeteners and fillers don't bother me. So long as the company doesn't appear to be "amino spiking", I don't let the ingredient profile influence my decision too much. My summary of the ingredient profile will only focus on protein per serving and the blend used.

3.) I typically ONLY purchase vanilla protein because I use it for:

-Breakfast shake with cold brew coffee and milk -or- OJ and kefir.
-PWO shake with Gatorade or Mio (typically orange or grape) to make a "creamsicle" flavor.
-Bedtime shake with sugar free pudding.

Protein: 24g

Protein blend:

Milk Protein Isolate--Milk Protein is 80/20 casein to whey.
Whey Protein Concentrate 80%--Whey Protein Concentrate can have an actual protein content as low as 55%. That's typically what you see on less expensive powders. WPC 80 is the quality stuff.
Leucine Peptides--Leucine is the amino acid shown to primarily improve protein synthesis and casein doesn't have as much (which is why I think they've added it here).

Taste: 10 out of 10! 4-stars! 100%! Whatever you use for ranking, this "cream of the crop". Hands down the taste is brilliant. There are little pieces of vanilla bean in the powder (I don't know if that's the secret to the flavor or just placebo, but it doesn't matter, I love this stuff). Smell of this powder is also great. Not as important as taste, but it can play a factor in perceived flavor, so I make note of it when I can.

Mixability: Good but not perfect. If there is any ding on scoring this powder, it's the initial mixability. The powder is "lighter" and takes a bit of extra effort to get it blended. However, once it's blended it does have a great consistency that isn't too thick, too thin, and is without much foam.

Dosing: 24g protein per 32.5g scoop of powder. Flavoring usually improves with some fats/carbs added. PES nailed it without adding much. This is a great protein to total powder ratio.

Protein is one of three main macro-nutrients (protein, carbs, fat). Whole foods is the preferable source, but depending on your diet, it may be difficult to hit macro goals without supplementing. Protein powder has proven to be an effective supplement for achieving macro-nutrient goals.

Some powders contain more calories, fat and/or carbs than other powders, but so long as the supplement works within your nutrition goals, "effectiveness" should be roughly the same. My ranking is based on Taste/Mixability/Dosing. If budget is unlimited, I'll always buy my highest ranking protein. If budget is limited (which is usually is), cost/value will also factor into my purchase decision.

Typical Cost: $49.99 for 55 servings ($0.91/serving).

Value is relative. Based on the Taste/Mixability/Dosing, I feel you get a top notch product for the price you pay. However, my personal budget puts an "ideal cost" of blended protein around $0.60-$0.75 per serving. PES is above this amount. I don't find it on sale often (probably because they don't need to), but if I can find PES for 20-25% off, I make the purchase because it's my favorite.

Side Effects

Since this product uses both milk protein and whey protein concentrate, it contains lactose. In some people lactose causes gas. If you are lactose sensitive I recommend you look for whey protein isolate.

Conclusion

This is my #1 protein. The slight issues I have with initial mixability can't knock it from my top spot. The flavor is just THAT good.

Personal Protein Rank:

-PES Select
-USPlabs Modern Protein
-TrueNutrition (custom blend 40% wpc, 50% milk protein, 10% casein)
-Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey+Casein (manually blended)*
-Muscle Pharm Combat
-BSN Syntha 6
-My Protein Impact Whey+Milk Protein Smooth (manually blended)

*This is my benchmark. Items ranked below this point I don't plan to purchase again. Items at/above my benchmark are purchased based on rank and funds available at time of purchase.
  • Gourmet Vanilla: 10/10

June 13, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Combo Of Proteins
  • Great Profile
  • Gluten Free
  • Mixes Thick
  • Meets Label Claims
  • Gritty Texture

I'm a competing powerlifter and am at the tail end of my cut (got 18lbs to go). I use protein supplements 1-2 times a day, so I can hit my protein target while keeping my overall calories on the lower end. My typical stack is a protein powder, PWO, creatine, fish oil, and recently curcumin.

This is a blended protein. It has milk protein isolate and WPC-80, aka two high quality protein sources. There is no egg protein, which some blends have. I'm not taking off any points for this because there is some question as to how bioavailable egg white protein powder is. Cooked egg white proteins have a high bioavailability. Uncooked egg whites do not. Pasteurized egg whites (e.g. what you get in egg white protein powder) has been insufficiently studied in terms of bioavailability, so I don't blame PES for not including it.

Here are the macros:

Calories: 110
Protein: 24g
Fat: 1.5g
Carbs <1g

As you can see, the protein/calorie ratio is pretty good (especially if you're cutting). Typically, a scoop of protein will have 120-140 calories and 22-25g protein, so PES does us right here.

They do add leucine peptides, which may be superior for increasing lean mass than free form leucine (this also could be total bro science, the literature is weak).

There are artificial sweeteners here (which I don't mind at all), but some people do, so I thought I'd mention it.

So the reason I got a tub was because I was told by a lot of gym bros that Frosted Chocolate Cupcake was, hands down, the best tasting chocolate protein powder on the market, and that it tasted exactly like a frosted chocolate cupcake. I actually waited a few months before I ordered since, you know, I am naturally skeptical what people tell me. I finally ordered a tub when TruMulti came out because I wanted that, and FCC tasted good. I'll give it an 8/10, but hands down the best. Sorry, these bros are tripping.

It tastes like chocolate, and it mixes thick, which I like, but I didn't get a frosted cupcake taste, and it was a bit gritty. It was better than a number of other chocolate proteins I have had, but it was not the best that I have ever had. I would say it's almost as good as Cellucor's Molten Chocolate, which is pretty good. Cellucor's offering, however, is not gritty.

It may be that my expectations were a bit too high, but when I have several people swearing that FCC is the best, then I expect it to be in a league of it's own, and for me, it wasn't.

Protein powder is not magic. It's convenient, but it's not inherently better than any other protein source with a good amino profile/bioavailability. This is assuming, of course, that the protein powder is meeting label claims. I'm giving PES a high effectiveness score for two reasons.

1. They meet label claims. They have been Stack3d certified and have been tested by other people, and they meet (or exceed) their label claims. In an industry where a lot of companies have cheated their customers with spiked products, this is important to me.

2. There is some evidence that a whey/casein blend is better for recovery than just whey. I'm not fanatical about when I eat what kinds of protein (I just eat a variety of sources through out the day), but a blend post workout could give you a slight edge. This isn't really that relevant for me since I usually mix my protein powder with milk anyway, but if you mix yours with water, there could be an advantage to getting a blend like PESelect.

PESelect is a bit expensive compared to many proteins on the market. A 2lb tub is usually around $27-30 and a 4lb tub usually around $45-$48, bringing you to around $1/serving. But blended proteins are more expensive than just whey products, and PES is similarly priced to other blends like Syntha 6 isolate and Promore, so I think the price is pretty fair.

Side Effects

None for me.

Conclusion

This was a pretty good protein powder from a brand that is honest. I think that's enough to give it consideration, but when it comes to the flavoring, I think some of the hype is unwarranted.
  • Frosted Chocolate Cupcake: 8/10

February 28, 2017

• Gluten Free
  • Sucralose And Ace-K

I have been a fan of PES for sometime after having tried OG Alphamine back in the day. I was drawn to their protein because it is a protein blend that includes casein and seemed like a versatile product. I just finished a tub of Snickerdoodle and here are my thoughts.

In the 31g scoop, you are looking at 110 calories, 1.5g of fat, less than 1g carbohydrates, and 24g of protein. The protein in this product is a milk protein isolate blend consisting of casein and whey protein. In addition, it also includes whey protein concentrate at 80%. At first glance, I missed that it had WPC because in the past, I have had issues with it but I did not have any with this protein. PES also includes Pepform Leucine Peptides. Glanbia Nutritionals makes/patents Pepform and it is a process that binds free form leucine to leucine peptides that have been isolated from whey. I could not access the spec sheet for Pepform but from what I gather the leucine in the pepform state are supposed to be more bioavailable than free form leucine. I found a rat study (1) where starved rats had more weight gain using a peptide-based diet rather than free amino acid diet. In another study, it was found that normal human subjects appear to be capable of assimilating mixtures of peptides and free amino acids with equal efficiency (2). I am unsure if the pepform increases the effectiveness of the product but it was an interesting ingredient to include. One quick note, bioscience is not my area so I included the studies. As for the rest, PES includes natural and artificial flavors along with sucralose and acesulfame potassium.

As I stated previously this reviews is based on the snickerdoodle flavor and I found it to be quite enjoyable. When you open the jug, you are hit with that cinnamon aroma. It has a thick consistency regardless of whether I used water or milk. I will say that it is very sweet. Therefore, if you were not into sweet tasting protein powders I would try a sample before buying. I have tried three of their other flavors (cookies 'n cream, frosted chocolate cupcake, and chocolate peanut butter cup) and they are all very sweet as well. In terms of mixability, I always used a blender bottle with the wisk ball and felt that it was necessary. At times when I tried to mix it without the wisk ball it would clump and some powder would get stuck in the cap or bottom of the shaker bottle. As far as dosing, individuals will vary but I did two scoops usually at lunch, post workout or before bed. I preferred to take it post workout as before bed I noticed increased bathroom visits (not GI related) throughout the night.

The effectiveness of a protein powder is hard to judge since I classify it as a food. PES makes an argument in their marketing that using just whey is not as effective as a whey protein and casein blend. I did find one study (3) that found an increase in fat free mass after 10 weeks of resistance training using a whey and casein protein blend (40g of whey protein and 8g of casein). Prior to taking this, I took MTS Machine Whey, Nutrabio Whey Protein Isolate, and Optimum Nutrition Proteins and I would say that PES performed similar to all of them. I noticed that my recovery and body composition were similar from using other protein supplements be them WPC, Casein and WPI. I do not feel that this whey/casein blend exceeded whey alone to justify the increase in price. Do not get me wrong I thought it was a good product but in my experience, it was just as effective as previous proteins I have tried. I should note that I did not have any bloating or GI issues with this protein as I did with Machine Whey and straight WPC supplements.

As of the time of this writing, I found a 55-serving tub for around $47-49, which is roughly $0.92 per serving. As for the 27-serving tub, can be found for about $27-29, which is about $1.00-1.11 per serving. I noticed that PES does not always go on sale at major retailers so the price tends to stay the same. However, they do run insider sales direct and I have seen the 27-serving tub go for $19.99 when they have launched a new flavor (Frosted Chocolate Cupcake), which is $.74 per serving. In terms of value, it comes down to whether you believe a blended protein will yield more results than standard whey. Personally, I like the taste of this protein and it performed similar to other protein supplements I have tried so I will buy it again if I find it on sale.

Side Effects

I did not experience any side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

Overall, PES Select is a good whey/casein blend protein. As I used the product my muscle gain and fat loss were, similar to previous whey protein supplements I have used (Machine Whey, Nutrabio WPI, and Optimum Nutrition Proteins). I enjoyed the taste but be aware that it does include sucralose and acesulfame potassium. I would definitely recommend trying it and to be on the lookout for sales, I know I will be. I hope this review helped!

(1) Protein hydrolysate vs free amino acid-based diets on the nutritional recovery of the starved rat. Eur J Nutr. 2000 Dec;39(6):237-43.
-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11395982
(2) Comparison of oral feeding of peptide and amino acid meals to normal human subjects. Gut. 1979 Apr;20(4):291-9
-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1412400/?page=1
(3) Kerksick, C. M., et al. The effect of protein and amino acid supplementation in performance and training adaptations during ten weeks of resistance training. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 20(3), 643-653, 2006.
-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16937979

-Xcmiler
  • Snickerdoodle: 9/10

January 21, 2016

• Good Combo Of Proteins

I'm a senior in college studying to be an RN. I've been training on and off since high school, but have really started to take lifting seriously in the past 2-3 years. Currently, I'm focusing on getting stronger. I follow the conjugate method of training focusing on the main 3 compound movements. Right now I'm in a caloric surplus - consuming around 2,600-2,800 calories per day. My goals as of now are to get stronger and gain some lean muscle without packing on **too** much fat. I first ordered PES Select Protein during a Black Friday sale and have since gone through two more tubs.

The ingredient profile of PES Select Whey is one of two reasons this protein is different than other proteins (in my opinion). The protein in Select Whey is a blend of milk protein isolate [casein/whey] and whey protein concentrate. They also include added Leucine peptides. The rest of the ingredients consist of natural and artificial flavors, guar gum [thickening agent], sucralose [sweetener], and acesulfame potassium [sweetener]. PES states that their blend of Milk Protein Isolate is the superior choice over 100% whey protein. One of the benefits of including a whey + casein is that the two different types of protein work better together to build muscle. At the end of the day, the ingredient profile is very solid. The macronutrient profile is: Per 1 Scoop (33g) 110 calories, 1.5 g fat, 1 g carbohydrate, and 24 g protein. For the taste, you can't beat those macros!

9.5/10
    Here is where this protein truly shines. The taste. This is probably the best tasting protein I have ever had. I've tried two of their flavors. I've had one tub of the limited edition White Chocolate Mint and two tubs of Snickerdoodle. Both are incredible. They are sweet without being overly sweet. Their taste is very authentic to what the flavor is trying to emulate. The White Chocolate Mint tasted identical to a White Chocolate Mint Mocha from Starbucks. The Snickerdoodle tastes very close to a snickerdoodle cookie. This protein mixes very well. About 7-10 seconds in a blender bottle and it's completely dissolved. I like that it isn't overly watery- even if you add around 12 oz. of water per one scoop of protein. Since there is casein in the protein, it gives it a bit of a thicker, smoother texture than traditional 100% whey protein. Dosing is fairly straight forward. One scoop (33g) per serving offers 24 grams of protein, 1.5 grams of fat, and 1 gram of carbohydrate [as stated above].

8.5/10
    As with any whey protein, it is difficult to judge the "effectiveness" of the product, particularly in terms of building muscle. I will say that when I take whey protein immediately following a workout, it does aid in my recovery. Granted I am in a caloric surplus and am following a strength-based program, I have main significant progress in my lifts while taking this product.

PES Select Protein will run you $42.75 for a 27-serving tub or $70.99 for a 55-serving tub if you order direct from PEScience. However, you can find a 27-serving tub on BB.com for $29.99 ($1.11/serving) and a 55-serving tub for $49.99 ($0.91/serving). Given the quality of this protein, I think it's a pretty fair price. Is it the cheapest protein on the market? No. But you're getting what you pay for: a high-quality protein that tastes incredible.

Side Effects

I experienced no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

As stated above, this is probably the best protein I've ever taken. From the quality ingredients, to the taste, to the easy mixability - PES really hit a home run with this one. It might be a little expensive for some; however, in my opinion, it's worth paying a few extra dollars for something I look forward to drinking!

April 15, 2015

• Creative Flavors
      This will be my last review of my recent PES stack I ran of Alphamine, High Volume and Select Protein. This is a high quality blend with added leucine peptides and no fillers. Protein is one of the harder things to rate after you get paste taste and the ingredient profile so this one will be sweet and simple.

Ingredient Profile 9/10

Vitamin A 0%
      Vitamin C 0%
      Calcium 28%
      Iron 0%

Ingredients:Muscle Targeted Protein Blend (Milk Protein Isolate, [comprised of casein protein, and whey protein], Whey Protein Concentrate 80%, Leucine Peptides), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Sodium Chloride, Ground Vanilla Beans, Guar Gum, Sucralose, Acesulfame PotassiumAllergen Information: Contains milk and soy (lecithin) ingredients.

A mix of whey and casein is optimal for before and more importantly after training as research has shown and PES hit’s a home run with this profile. The low carb count in this is impressive being some companies will overload theirs with sugar. The added leucine peptides are not counted toward the protein amount so no spiking here.

Taste/Mixability/Dosing 10/10

Taste- Out of this world and by far some of the best flavors I’ve tried. There are 5 current flavor options amazing blondie, cookies & cream, milk chocolate, snickerdoodle and the newly released peanut butter cup. I’ve tried all of them but the blondie and it’s some of the best tasting protein I’ve had with no guilty conscience for only 1g of sugar.

Mixability- No issue here. I like that since it’s a blend it’s a little thicker and allows me to add between 8-10oz of water per scoop rather than the standard 4oz of regular whey that will still taste watered down.

Dosing- I consumed 1 scoop in my pre-workout oats and another post workout. Obviously you can choose your serving size and time.

Effectiveness 9/10

Can’t comment too much of effectiveness, it helped me reach my macro goals for protein.

Value 9/10

PES provides good value for the product you get. For 27 servings $29 seems to be standard, and for the 55 serving you can find it for $49. You get what you pay for with protein and you get good quality with Select.

Conclusion

I always enjoy trying different protein blends, well until they taste terrible. I couldn’t imagine anyone not being pleased with any of these flavors. PES keeps things interesting with creative and different flavors and that’s one of the best things about them. Quality protein for a good price that will help you reach your macro goals, what more can you ask for!

February 6, 2015

• Varied Profile
      • Artificial FlavorsSweeteners
      • Often Clumpy
      For months, all I kept hearing about was how good this stuff tasted. I thought it couldn’t be as good as everyone said… I mean, protein is protein. Tastes range from God-awful and gag-inducing at worst, to simply tolerable at best. I’ve never actually ENJOYED any protein I’ve ever used, but I just finished my first tub of this, and the taste hype is well-deserved. We all know, however, that taste isn’t everything, so let’s get to the details.

PROFILE: B

Pros:
      - 24g of protein per 31g serving, or 77%. Not as high as some others, but still not as low as the average protein powder.
      - Only 1g of carbs, 1.5g of fat, and a good amount of calcium.
      - Solid blend of isolated milk protein (whey and casein), 80% concentrated whey, and leucine peptides. A profile like this means varying rates of digestion and more whole food factors, even if it’s not as fast or clean as isolated or hydrolyzed whey.
      Cons:
      - Sodium content is higher than many powders at 210mg. One downside of the better taste.
      - Artificial flavors and sweeteners. This isn’t all-natural, nor does it claim to be. Not for the protein purist.
      - Blend makes this less than ideal as a quick post-workout source of protein, but for most users it will get the job done.

EFFECTIVENESS: B+

This allowed me to meet my daily protein requirements more easily than with whole food alone. That would be the case with any protein supplement. I have to assume that the blend of proteins altered bioavailability very slightly, but for my needs (and most others’ needs) I think the difference would be minimal. I never had any digestive issues, bloating, or other side effects with this. There’s not much more to say in terms of effectiveness.

TASTE: A+

I got the Snickerdoodle flavor, and the taste was spot-on. Thoroughly enjoyable, down to the last scoop. I even used this to make pancakes once, and I thought it was a vast improvement on the standard batter. Even my wife thought so. I will be moving on from this stuff towards a cleaner product, but I will sincerely miss the taste.

MIXABILITY: C

Due to the blend of different protein sources, and the added ingredients, this doesn’t mix as well as other proteins I’ve used. As usual, it dissolves better in water than it does in milk, but even after vigorous shaking, I’d still have some clumps. Tasty clumps are better than nasty clumps, but no clumps would obviously be best. Only a minor shortcoming.

VALUE: C+

You can get a 4lb. tub of this for around $50 or slightly less. This is pretty good, but not great, as some 5lb. tubs of other comparable proteins can be had for around the same price. One can assume that the manufacturing process for this protein is not as involved as it would be for hydrolyzed or isolated whey, as there isn’t as much separation, filtration, etc. that has to happen. Not that I know a whole lot more about it than the next guy, but I’d like to see a slightly lower price point for this reason. Regardless, it might be worth it for you to go for a tub of this if you’re up for a departure from the standard protein taste. I’d probably buy this again at some point, as it isn’t a detrimental dip in quality for a much improved shake-making experience.

Is this the cleanest protein around? No. Will it do what you need it to? Probably. Does it taste a helluva lot better than any other protein out there? Absolutely.

Thanks for reading everyone!

December 13, 2014

• Digestibility
      PES Select is a whey and casein blend that aims to spike muscle protein synthesis with whey and added leucine peptides and then sustain that anabolism with casein. On their website, PES goes on to cite studies and pretty damn thoroughly explain why a 50%/50% blend of whey to casein is superior to whey alone. One thing to note, however, is that nowhere doesn't it specifically state that Select contains a 50/50 blend. PES does explain why they use the ingredients to do and how their ingredients are superior. Now this is a good segway into their profile.

Their profile (snickerdoodle flavor) is as follows:

Serving Size: 1 Scoop (31 g)
      Servings Per Container: 27
      Total Carbohydrate 1 g <1%
      Dietary Fiber 1 g 2%
      Sugars 1 g
      Protein 24 g 48%

As you can see, it has pretty much the perfect profile. You honestly can't get much better, if any, than that.

Ingredients:
      Muscle Targeted Protein Blend (Milk Protein Isolate, [comprised of casein protein, and whey protein], Whey Protein Concentrate 80%, Leucine Peptides), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Sodium Chloride, Guar Gum, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium

They actually list their whey protein concentrate percentage, and it's of the highest quality at 80%. Both of those things impressive and rare in this industry. As a great bonus, they added free form leucine peptides since the amino acid leucine is what spikes muscle protein synthesis. That's freakin' awesome! Although, I would think that with added peptides, they'd like to tout how much leucine is in their product per scoop, but they do not and I'm thinking that may be a bit shady. It makes me believe that they sprinkled it in just to list it on their profile and it really does not provide much of a benefit at all, BUT I don't deduct a point for this because with all of the solid products PES puts out (in my mind), I trust them, for better or worse.

No crappy and counter-productive fillers such as maltodextrin and mono and diglycerides. No cheap caseinates either. Win!

One thing I did have a problem with, is that they don't include protease enzymes for people that have problems consuming milk proteins. I don't drink milk (I don't care for it and never have) much anymore, so I probably lack the enzymes to break all of this down. I didn't think I did lack the enzymes, but after a while, my stomach consistently got screwed up after a few hours of drinking this.

Snickerdoodle - 8.5/10
      - This tasted just like a snickerdoodle cookie! I'm not much of a dessert person and I enjoyed this. Only problem was, I got sick of it after about half of the tub. It was just too overpowering in the morning when sweetness wasn't a desire.

Milk Chocolate - 6/10
      - Milk chocolate didn't taste decadent like a chocolate should, instead, it was just too sweet. I much prefer taking unsweetened cocoa powder and putting it into a vanilla protein powder.

As always, it's hard to gauge effectiveness with protein powders, especially since I get enough protein to recover from workouts. With that said, I did have side effects as I discuss below, but my recovery was the same while on this.

This is inline with other high-quality blends. You only get 10/10 if it is way cheaper than it should be.

Side Effects

I really had problems digesting PES Select after awhile. It was so bad that it destroyed my performance in the gym when taking it before workouts. It weighed me down and felt like I needed to vomit. This didn't happen initially, so I'm not taking too many points off as this could just be a problem I had, but I didn't like that feeling and makes me not want to buy this again. As I said earlier, it would be great if they included some enzymes to help with this issue.

Conclusion

I still rate this a 9/10 because the blend SHOULD be a 50/50 blend (whey to casein) with how they talk about it, and my recovery didn't diminish while on this product. The leucine peptides are huge if they aren't indeed sprinkled in. Even though I had side effects, this could have been my personal reaction.

I sincerely wish they'd state the amount of leucine per serving as well as the whey and casein (even though 50/50 is insinuated) percentages, however.

December 2, 2014

• Easy To Mix

Relatively new to SR, been working out seriously for a year or so now.

Macro breakdown is pretty solid, I like the amount of calories and fat in this protein. Seems like a good balance.

One scoop is about a normal size compared to other proteins I've tried. Taste is absolutely awesome. The snicker doodle tastes pretty much like a snicker doodle cookie melting in your mouth. I had originally tried cookies and cream, which is good but not as great. Mixability is no problem, just don't add too much water/milk/liquid.

So far I've enjoyed using PES Select. It helps fill my daily macros and seems to be effective with gains.

Price point seems to be alright, averaging about $1/serving.

Side Effects

n/a

Conclusion

Solid protein for the money. Taste is definitely the best I've had.

October 9, 2014

• Great Profile
          Thank you to PES, Physique Enhancing Science, for Participating in the ER program, and allowing us to try Select Protein. Select Protein blends both Whey and Casein protein, in a precise ratio, to help achieve results that standard whey alone may not be able to accomplish.
          "Nature had it right. When researchers at the world-renowned Mayo Clinic tested a combination of whey + casein protein, as found naturally in milk protein, they discovered that the two protein sources work together in a synergistic manner to build lean muscle. Yes... synergistic. Meaning when taken together it is better than taking just one or the other alone." http://selectprotein.com/

Overall: 9

While it can be difficult to assess the positive results of protein immediately, over the course of a month or so, one should know how well the particular protein works with your body and if the product is worth ingesting. It didn't take long for me to feel the positive effects and results, and new that I had something special on my hands.

Effectiveness: 9

In short term usage of a protein product, I look for a few key aspects to see if this protein is indeed for my. First, post workout consumption. I have and always will consume a shake post workout, before my post workout meal. I need a quality protein that will digest properly, not fill me up, and process quickly and efficiently. Thus leaving me hungry shortly thereafter for my post workout meal. The last thing you want to feel is bloated and full, and unable to fully consume what you want and need post workout. Select protein was not only a pleasure to drink every time, but it processed quickly, digested efficiently and never left me feeling full and sluggish. Just about the cleanest feeling that I have felt after consuming a protein post workout. At the time of my trial run with select, I was eating extremely clean, and maintain an even 195# at the lowest body fat that I had been in years. This fit right in with my goals and gave me many positive results without sacrificing unnecessary fats or calories. As my goals have changed, this versatile protein continues to fit right in, and can be mixed and made with just about anything. More of that to follow.
          The Results were fantastic. Increased recovery, mainly attributes to the quality amino content and the Casein protein addition. Increase in, and muscle maintainability , even when simply hitting maintenance macros. It can be difficult at times to ingest over 200g of protein daily without exceeding your macros in carbs and or fats. This fit in nicely with a 50g a day boost in protein, with little retraction from the other categories, leaving room for clean quality foods.

Profile: 9

Total Carbohydrates < 1 Gram
          Dietary Fiber - <1 Gram
          Sugar - <1 Gram
          Protein - 24 Grams

It doesn't get much cleaner than that. A profile that you can not only read to be clean, but feel. With the inclusion of Casein, not simply to add, but to work together with your whey to keep your protein synthesis and uptake going long after your whey is through, this profile is solid.

Tase/Mix ability: 10

The highest rating possible, and would go higher if I could. This protein mixes with ease. Shaker, spoon, or blended, the results are the same. Smooth and just about perfect. Blending makes it a bit fluffier, but you can't go wrong either way. No foam, and if there was the slightest, it dissipated and leveled quickly. The taste, OMG, GAF, or whatever the kids are saying. This is the best tasting protein that I have ever consumed. I was given the amazing chocolate, which was well, amazing. It also came with samples of their cookies and cream flavor, which was great. And Snicker doodle, oh the snicker doodle. This little sample prompted me to purchase an entire tub as soon as I tried it. Mixed with water, it tastes great and is as clean as can be. Mixed with milk or a home made gainer shake, simply amazing and a great way to get calories along with solid protein. I pour it over oatmeal, and plan on trying some baking recipes.

Value: 9

This is on point or slightly higher than most quality proteins, but worth every penny. At or around a dollar a serving, this is well worth it. All I could think while taking this was, man I wish they made a larger tub. PES delivered, with a 55 serving container. Increasing the value greatly. I grabbed these from the PES insider and it was an absolute steal. Found for anything less than a dollar per serving, I highly suggest that you pick this up and give it a try. It can even be found on PES website for 49.99,