Ranks #15 (better than 74%)
In: Protein > Blended Protein

Modern Protein is a Blended Protein Powder manufactured by USPlabs. It contains a blend of different types of protein and will promote lean muscle mass and fat loss.

Protein > Blended Protein

Welcome to SupplementReviews.com

The supplement industry is notorious for misleading marketing and misinformation.

basicaaron
TROOPer Level: 5
  April 17, 2017

Protein can sometimes be hard to judge. I mean, it's protein, right? Isn't it all basically the same? Well, yes and no. There are differences with each protein product, besides taste. Some are subtle; some are huge. Modern Protein stands out, not as the best, but definitely as an excellent option.

Modern Protein takes a blended approach, using three isolates (milk, whey and whey hydroslysate), whey concentrate, and micellar casein. The goal behind this is to have a true "anytime" protein powder.

Okay, here it goes. Modern Protein tastes FREAKING AMAZING. No joke. You know how sometimes protein clumps on your spoon or fork and you don't lick it off because you know if you do it'll ruin the whole experience? Not so with this. I had some clumping on my fork with vanilla and it was like eating cake batter. I almost redid my post workout so I could just eat clumpy protein. When does that ever happen?? And with vanilla?!

Mixes super well. I usually mix my protein in a glass, which does clump a little bit (but this time did not bother me one bit). In a shaker, you're good to go.

Modern currently comes in four flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry, and Chocolate Carmel Cookie Stix (aka, Twix). They're all amazing. My favorite is either Twix or Vanilla.

I really liked this protein. I didn't see too much of a difference than using regular protein, except that I stayed much leaner. There also wasn't any bloating or GI issues, which says a lot about quality. With low calorie servings and an "anytime" approach, this really helped me when I was trying to lose weight/fat but also get in some good protein (along with my lean meats).

When I buy protein, I like to look at two things: how many grams a scoop is and how many grams of protein are in that scoop. For example, BSN Syntha-6 offers 22g of protein per scoop (47.2g). That means that less than half of what's in your scoop is protein. The rest, in this instance with S6, is carbs (14g), fat (6g) and fillers (5.2g). At 200 calories per serving, that's a bit much for me making it not something I'd like to use on a regular basis (and BSN protein tastes amazing).

Modern protein contains 25 servings of 23g of delicious protein, with each serving being 34.5g. Broken down, that leaves 2g for carbs, 3.5g for fat, and 6g for fillers (flavoring, etc,.). While that's not the greatest, at 130 calories per serving (for vanilla), I can live with that.

$30 is pretty typical of this type of protein and for that many servings, maybe slightly on the high end (that price is from USP Labs direct). However, I know USP will often run some sweet deals on their products and you can usually find you can tack on some protein for an extra $20. That's not a bad deal at all.

Side Effects

None!

Conclusion

While it may be a tad on the high side, this is a good protein. Not just the taste, but also the formula and profile. If you're looking for a protein to take not just post-workout, but as an afternoon supplement or before bed, Modern Protein may just be your next great choice.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Digestive Issues
  • Low Calorie
  • Vanilla: 10/10
willyb87
TROOPer Level: 49
  March 28, 2017

(Thanks to USPlabs for sending it out!)

I got a txt for a great deal on this protein from USP Labs. I was getting a little stale of the chocolate I had stacked up on my shelf, and decided to try out the "new and improved" flavors from USP.

A fairly clean protein product with some added healthy fats. Nothing extra here 23g of a blend of different protein sources, 3.5g of fat, and 2g of carbs.

Caramel Cookie Stix was the flavor I decided to try out, its USP's try at a Twix flavored protein. And I have to say they nailed it, even with plain water (which is what I use almost all the time) this was delicious, a sweet chocolate taste with a slight hint of caramel was refreshing. Mixing was on point and there was never any clumps when using a blender bottle. Thickness for me was perfect, it was very thin but full of flavor. Made it very easy to chug down after a workout.

Its becoming a redundant phrase at the beginning of these reviews on proteins. There's not a whole lot to say on this section other than the taste and how it is handled digestively. My body recovered like it should have no more or less soreness than usual. As far as digestion goes even with using 2 scoops my stomach handled this great. I always have a little gas when using protein, especially blends, but that wasn't the case here. After drinking this post workout I didn't feel overly heavy or full. It seemed to clear my stomach much faster than other proteins.

Here is what drove me to buy this protein, even though the new flavor had me curious. 59.99 for (3) 2lb tubs is really hard to beat for quality protein and this seemed to be quality. This was on a deal that USP Labs runs quite a few of. On other websites though I found this in several places for around $22-25 still a few dollars cheaper than other 2lb tubs.

Side Effects

Conclusion

USP Labs has caught some flack for some products and claims here lately. And I don't think they could ever go back to the glory days of Jack3d original, OxyElite and Pink Magic. But they produced a solid and very tasty product here.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Digestive Issues
    • Caramel Cookie Stix: 9/10