(Better than 99% in Pre-Workout > Stimulant)

Pathogen is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Outbreak Nutrition. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

Overall
Overall
9.1
9.2
  May 8, 2018

• Delicious Taste

Thank you to Outbreak Nutrition for their support of the Troop Program. They are a company that has recently caught my eye and I have been fortunate to try a few of their products lately. Pathogen is their entry into the over saturated world of pre-workout supplements. The industry as a whole is getting better and I would say that this product is one of the few out there that is really leading the way on changing things for the better.

So as the title indicates we have a short list of proven ingredients in their effective dose range. As with all of their products there are no prop blends or kitchen sink tactics being deployed. So lets take a closer look at what makes Pathogen a well thought out product.

Starting off is a big old dose of Citrulline Malate at 6000mg. This is a compound that has been put in PWO's for some time now and with good reason. There is sound science to back up the claims it makes about increasing blood flow as a vasodilator. Often you see Citrulline show up in doses of 1-2g but research shows that 6-8g is the effective dose range for maximum benefit.

Next up is a hearty 3200mg of Beta Alanine. So for people newer to using PWO's this may give a pretty strong case of the BA tingles. But the benefits of Beta Alanine on muscle fatigue are well documented and definitely worth getting used to the tingles. And once again a compound present in a proven effective dose.

Choline Bitartrate shows up in a 500mg dose and has pretty sound science to back up its claims of enhanced energy and focus.

Next is Potassium Nitrate weighing in at 350mg. PN is a pump agent and has been the subject of a bit of controversy at times. Forum threads have popped up among various websites questioning the safety of using it in supplements or as a standalone. Really nitrates in general are the subject of mild controversy. I have never personally had any adverse effects to nitrates and I think that they add a nice element to the mix. And again it is present in its effective dose range.

Getting into the meat and potatoes of the stimulants you have 350mg of caffeine anhydrous and 125mg of theacrine. I am definitely stimulant tolerant and this was a pretty damn good shot in the arm for me. If you tend to have problems with jitters at higher doses you may want to avoid this one all together. Sure you could take a half a scoop but then you are cutting the rest of the compounds in half along with the stimulants.

An interesting addition in 100mg of Theobromine shows up and admittedly I don't think I can recall taking any supplement that contains theobromine. When someone starts spouting out that it would be easier to OD on chocolate than cannabis they are actually saying it would be easier to OD on theobromine. It's found naturally in chocolate (cacao) and is interesting because it shows some properties of a stimulant but unlike other stimulants is actually a vasodilator. There seems to be some conflict about exactly how much a person should take as it ranges from 50mg all the way up to 400mg depending on who you ask. But it would seem that 100mg is in the low end of the range.

Rounding out the profile is 100mg of Juglans Regia Extract. I knew pretty much zero about this compound so I took an hour to scan the web and see what I could find. The condensed version is that it mimics the molecular structure of synthetic DHMA which acts as a CNS stimulant to increase energy and mental alertness. Effective range is anywhere from 25mg-100mg.

So for the most part you have proven ingredients with not one of them failing to at least fall into the low end of the effective dose range. This one is good in my book.

As with all PWO's the dosing is pretty straightforward. 30 minutes or so before you work out. I had the War-torn Melon and it took me straight back to my childhood on the first sip. The flavor is spot on with a watermelon jolly rancher and I mean spot on. Seeing as that was my favorite candy as a kid it gets a 10/10 on the taste for this flavor.

Obviously there is a trend of high praise for Pathogen happening here and it isn't going to stop in this section. This product just did it for me. Energy levels were sky high throughout long workouts and the pumps were noticeably enhanced. As stated before the stimulants are dosed generously so if you don't do well with them then you might want to steer clear. But if you enjoy a hearty dose I would highly recommend picking up a tub of Pathogen. As a disclaimer I do want to mention something. I don't use a PWO before every workout. I don't think that anyone should honestly. I use them when I need an extra kick because I'm not feeling naturally pumped to get after it that day. But I have tried a LOT of PWO's over the years and this one is among one of the best if not the best I have tried.

I wish this were a more widely available supplement but unfortunately your only option online is their website. As of today it is retailing for $39.99 for 28 servings. That being said their website has a cool function where you can take a spin on a wheel for the potential of additional discounts. But I can't count that since it is random. But even if you are taking 5 servings per week you will still get over a months worth of workouts for $40. Not bad when you consider that the profile is solid and the results are spectacular. Remember that value and price are not synonymous. Something that delivers great results at a higher price point has more value than no results at a rock bottom price point.

Side Effects

Other than a few instances of insane beta alanine tingles I have no negative sides to report.

Conclusion

Outbreak Nutrition is a company with a model that will carry them far. They put out fully disclosed products full of effectively dosed compounds at a reasonable price. Pathogen is a really standout product in a completely over saturated segment of the market. And seeing as they from time to time change their products based on customer feedback I would say they are highly customer service oriented.

Other Prices:
Amazon   $39.99

Overall
Overall
9.1
  May 1, 2018

• Creative Name

This stuff blew me away. I was stunned with long-lasting, focused workouts including cardio and lifting.

Well when I see a Pre labeled as "The Apocalyptic Pre-Workout," you know I am giving that a try. Pathogen is a pre workout product from Outbreak Nutrition who like to theme their products on the apocalypse, or a walking dead type situation I guess. Kind of a cool theme to run with and set yourself apart somehow from the other thousands of supplement companies starting to show up. Thanks for them and to SR for sending this one out.

Pathogen has a very straightforward and complete profile in my opinion. All the ingredients are fully disclosed on the label with no prop blends. The first ingredient is Citrulline Malate at 6000mg. I think that is a pretty darn good dosage, and this is one of the things that Outbreak said they changed for the better in Pathogen. Beta Alanine is next coming in at 3200mg. This is about average for a dose. It was enough for some tingles, but nothing over the top. Choline Bitartrate is dosed at 500mg which seems to be considered a clinical dose. This helps improve cognitive functions. Each scoop has 350mg of caffeine, which for me, is the sweet spot. Those are just some highlights of the profile, which I think is a good one.

Dosing is as simple as it gets, take a scoop before you hit the gym. I never did anything more or less than one scoop because of how much I enjoyed the feeling it gave me and the workout it provided. Mixability was never an issue with Pathogen, always mixing well with a couple shakes of the shaker cup. The "Double Barrel Berry" flavor was pretty spot on and very refreshing. Maybe a hint too sweet for my personal preference, but definitely pretty good. No nasty aftertaste either.

Outbreak calls Pathogen the Apocalyptic Pre-Workout. I'm not really sure what this means, but it definitely seems right. This stuff was awesome. My workouts felt like a had some sort of extra gas tank attached to me and I could just keep drawing from it. I often did 30 minutes of cardio, followed by 45 minutes of lifting, and finished with 15 minutes of hard cycling on one of those indoor bikes with the big screen that you steer your bike on. Even after all that, I wanted to keep going. And man did I sweat like a machine. I was entirely soaked by the end of each of my workouts. I am using a different pre now, and it is night and day. I literally find myself missing Pathogen during each and every one of my workouts. The beta tingles were very minimal but definitely present. Pump factor was good considering I never really respond much to pump ingredients. But the most clutch part of Pathogen was the endurance, focus and sweat.

As of now, it looks like $34.99 is about the going rate for a tub of this stuff. There are definitely deals that can be found, like the ones on Outbreak's own site, where you can get some percentage off and buy stacks and stuff like that. I think this is a pretty excellent value for 28 servings of a top notch pre.

Side Effects

I did not suffer any side effects AND never felt much of a crash.

Conclusion

Overall, this was one of the most solid pre workouts I have used in a long time. I don't think I will be able to avoid ordering some more in the future. My workouts were so enjoyable and long lasted when I was using Pathogen. I'd definitely want this stuff around if the walking dead ever happened and I had to fight off zombies every day. I'll have to figure out where their warehouse is in case that ever happens. Thanks to SR and Outbreak Nutrition for making this stuff and sending it out to some of us! Go Bruins, Go Sox, Go Celtics!
    • Double Barrel Berry: 8/10

Other Prices:
    Amazon   $39.99

March 18, 2018

• Well Rounded
    • Decent Value
    • Works Every Time

Big thanks to Outbreak Nutrition for letting me try their Pre-Workout Pathogen. Since I love PWO products and have tried many over the years, I have developed a basic criteria on how I grade each of them for their performance value. My workout style is a mix of Barbell complexes/Functional fitness/Olympic lifting, bro lifting (pump chaser) and sprinting/explosive speed workouts. for me, a successful PWO is one that can shine through all of my workouts (yes, it is a lot to ask for especially with cardio) so with that said, let us see how Pathogen holds up to the test.

Right off the bat, you are met with a fully disclosed label which is great in knowing what you are going to get and how it is going to perform.

1 scoop is 12.2g of:

Caffeine Anhydrous-350mg
    TeaCrine-125mg
    Theobromine-100mg
    Juglans Regia Extract-100mg

(TKCofRedLine did a great job of breaking down every ingredient listed on the label, so I am going to give my take on some of the heavy hitting ingredients for the sake of not having a review that is repeating everything that has already been said before).

This ingredients panel is changed from the previous blend which only had 5g of Citrulline and had 1g of Agmatine. Some might view this change as a negative due to it creating a less pump, but in the loss of the Agmatine they added Potassium nitrate and increased the amount of Citrulline. You might ask yourself what does this mean in translation. Well since they bumped up the Citrulline, that means that your endurance under tension is going to be increasing which will allow you to push hard for longer. Citrulline also acts as a vasodilator which in turn will help push more blood into the muscle tissue. Secondly, they added Potassium Nitrate which is beneficial for all athletes. By significantly increasing Nitric Oxide, your body is able to perform physical actions at a lower Oxygen requirement. This means that your endurance will be significantly enhanced. Imagine breathing easier, yet running faster, or lasting longer in the weight room. Another benefit to Nitrate usage is the intense vasodilation it provides. Vasodilation is the literal expanding of your veins, which allows more blood, oxygen, and nutrients to reach your hungry and tired muscle cells. This gives you a great "pumped" feeling, as well as significantly enhanced recovery.

The caffeine in this is 350mg, which could be viewed as high to some or it could hinder blood flow capabilities in the body, but to be honest, it was just the right amount. It was enough to wake me up and get me going, but I didn't feel like a giant energy crack head. It was nice and smooth with its delivery and worked time after time.

TeaCrine was a nice touch to this. This is an amazing product that your body cannot build a tolerance to, so it will work again, and again, and again. TeaCrine inhibits adenosine, which decreases feelings of fatigue for longer, stronger workouts. TeaCrine provides better focus to achieve your goals with an enhanced neural drive. All of this combined with the caffeine and endurance factors from the CM and nitrates makes for a potent PWO.

So I received the Agent Orange Pineapple flavor and I loved it. Honestly, it tasted just like the powder OJ drink from my childhood called tang. You could not taste any of the ingredients in this, or the sour/bitterness from the Citrulline or Nitrates. I did not get a lot of the pineapple from this flavor, but it had zero impact on how I felt about the taste.

Mixability was a breeze. I did 1 scoop with 12oz of water, shook it up with a blender bottle, waited 10 minutes, shook again and drank it all in with zero issues.

Dosing was 1 scoop with 12oz of water. I found this to be the sweet spot for this product.

So here is the fun part. Did this pass my criteria? You bet it did. The energy from this was smooth and focused, instead of erratic and too strong. for me, what is the point of being that hyped up if you cannot focus it on what you are doing. Pathogen nailed it with the caffeine/TeaCrine combo in this. The focus allowed me to envision what I was going to do on my barbell complexes and Olympic lifts, and I was successful in having good lifts. Anyone who has lifted heavy enough knows the mind game that goes into moving some serious weight, and you have to see it in order to achieve it.

In regards to it not being the most effective in the pump area, I would have to say I don't get it. When I would do exercises that generate a mean pump, this product delivered time and time again. Whether it was doing drag curls, dips, Max effort sets on squats, or strict shoulder press, my muscles would be full and pumped to the point that my range of motion started to suffer. To me, that is an effective product. Not only that, but the Potassium Nitrate left my muscles feeling full well after the exercise had stopped.

The final aspect of my workouts is the sprinting explosive speed. This product passed in this area as well. Sometimes if you are too heavy with stimulants instead of having the energy to run, you feel like your heart is going to explode. Not with this. It was smooth again and helped me feel explosive with my cardio. A typical workout would be sets of 300m, 400m, 800m sprints, and or repeat 500m rows on the concept rower machine. Yeah, I felt like I was full of energy, but it was a positive feeling rather than an "I am going to die" feeling.

The price of this is 28 servings for $35 which is $1.25 and is comparable to most PWO's out there on the market. I feel that if they could keep this price and round it out to a full 30 scoops then it would hold a higher value even though it is just 2 added scoops.

Side Effects

None to report.

Conclusion

Massive congrats to Outbreak Nutrition on putting together an awesome well-rounded product. I see why they say that this could help you survive the apocalypse. With the energy and focus it gives, added with the endurance and blood pumping ingredients you will be a juggernaut to be reckoned with. Ok all joking aside about the end of the world, this brand continues to impress me by delivering home run products, that shine and are more eye-catching their labels and theme. Again this PWO will appeal to all different types of athletes and lifters. The only sport that I do not know if this would be effective is swimming, simply because I didn't try it, however, do not let that deter you from trying it. If you are looking to up your game with a product that will improve your abilities in all aspects, look no further than Pathogen.

January 6, 2018

• Focus Could Be Better

Outbreak Nutrition has quickly climbed the ranks to become one of my favorite supplement producers. Their marketing and flashy product names and labels may come off gimmicky, but theres no denying how effective their products are. Pathogen is no exception, and is easily my favorite preworkout to date.

Props to Outbreak Nutrition for fully disclosing their ingredients. While the product does contain some fillers, additives, and dyes, it has a solid ingredient profile. Most of the ingredients meet the suggested clinical dosage and Outbreak

L-Citrulline Malate 6g
    L-Citrulline is a well documented and researched workout supplement. It's primary use is to increase blood flow to muscles, which help to increase pumps. L-Citrulline Mallate is essentially just a form of Citrulline combined with malic acid. The benefits of malic acid are still being researched, but have shown that when combined with Citrulline, it helps to increase muscular endurance. I like that Outbreak chose to use L-Citrulline Mallate due to the fact that this is the form most often used in scientific studies, as well as the fact that there is no downside to the added malic acid, however there may be unproven benefits. At 6g, this ingredient is clinically dosed, albeit on the low side of the recommended dosage.

I would like to take a moment to mention the fact that Pathogen's original formula only contained 5g of L-Citrulline Mallate. This was a complaint often mentioned about the product, and one that Outbreak has since corrected. I believe it really speaks to the reputation of the company that they listened to the consumer's opinions and adjusted their formula. This is the way to win life-long customers.

Beta-Alanine 3.2g
    Not much can be said about Beta-Alinine that hasnt been said before. It is a proven supplement that helps increase strength and endurance and Outbreak has sufficiently dosed this incredient to maximize effectiveness.

Choline Bitartrate 500mg
    A focus promoting ingredient, Choline Bitartrate aids in cognitive function and also shows some potential as a mood elevator. The recommended clinical dosage is 250-1000mg. At 500mg this ingredient meets the recommended dosage, although somewhat on the lower side.

Potassium Nitrate 350mg
    Potassium nitrate is a nitric oxide supplement that aids in pumps and vascularity. Clinical dosages seem to be tied to a person's body weight though the range is typically 400mg to 1500mg from what I have seen. This ingredient appears to be somewhat underdosed, however it is clearly a secondary ingredient to the L-Citrulline Mallate mentioned above.

This is another ingredient that was not present in Pathogen's original formula but was later added due to consumer demand for greater pumps.

Caffeine 350mg
    A huge dosage of caffeine is responsible for the incredible rush of energy experienced when using this product. Those sensitive to caffeine may want to asses their tolerance to this product before using a full dosage.

TeaCrine 125mg
    The patented form of theacrine, an energy supplement that the body is unable to build a tolerance to. Teacrine is the tasteless form of theacrine, which is said to have a bitter, earthy flavor.

Theobromine 100mg
    Another stimulant, very similar to caffeine, albeit not as potent. What makes Theobromine different is it has also been shown to improve cognitive function by acting as a vasodilator. This increases blood flow in the body, though most notably to the brain, making it a potential focus ingredient as well as a mood enhancer. Clinical doses are in the 200-400mg range, however these studies were conducted without the influence of caffeine. The combination of the other energy supplements and pumo supplements present in Pathogen make up for the lower dosage.

2-amino-5-methylheptane (DMHA) 100mg
    Another stimulant, also one commonly found in some thermogenics. Effects of DMHA appear to increase energy as well as the oxygen capacity of muscles. Theoretically, this helps decrease muscle fatigue and increase pain threshold during workouts, allowing you to push harder for longer. Clinical doses of this ingredient also appeared to be tied to body weight, recommending 1mg per kg of body weight. At 100mg, this ingredient should be dosed enough to be effective without crossing into unsafe levels.

Let me start by saying I am very picky about my preworkouts in terms of taste. If I can't stomach the taste of my preworkout I struggle to finish the tub. While Pathogen may not be the best tasting preworkout I've tried, I had no problem using it day after day, and I intend to order another tub soon.

Taste
    I purchased the Double Barrel Berry flavor and can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed it. It had more of a raspberry/blueberry flavor and was pretty sweet. While there was a slight hint of artificial flavoring present, there was no chemical or chalky aftertaste. I did vary the amount of water I mixed the product with and found 10oz provided the best balance to the flavor. At 8oz it was a bit too sweet for my liking. Outbreak Nutrition also sent me a sample packet of the Agent Orange-Pineapple flavor to try as well. The flavor was ok, with the pineapple somewhat overpowering the orange. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of pineapple flavoring and found that 10oz of water left this flavor slightly bitter. Despite this, I dont feel as though I would have any trouble making it through an entire tub of this flavor, although it likely wouldnt be my first choice.

Mixability
    I'm a die hard shaker cup fan, and pretty much always use them for my preworkout. The product mixed nicely with very few floaters and no sinkers. Just out of curiosity, I did mix this product directly into a water bottle a few times with similar results. So if the Zombie Apocalypse wipes out all of the shaker cups on Earth, have no fear as this product mixes fine without one.

Dosage
    One scoop. One scoop. One scoop. Thats all I ever took throughout my time using this product. Typically I prefer my preworkout stim heavy and I have a massive caffeine tolerance. Despite that, I was never able to work up the courage to try more, and honestly I never needed to. As mentioned above, you may need to experiment with the amount of water you use to find the best balance for your taste buds.

Does it work?

You ever mix meth with meth, which is meth, but also you have ADHD and you can't seem to get the sound of the earth's rotation out of your eyes?

Thats about the most accurate description I can give of this stim heavy product. In all seriousness, yes it's effective. Let's break down how much so.

Energy - 9.5/10
    The energy boost from this preworkout is comparable to connecting jumper cables to your nipples and grounding yourself to a car battery and the engine block. It hits you just as hard and fast, and the only warning is the intense Beta-Alinine tingles that strike you just before. Seriously, I couldnt sit still between sets and was walking in circles pulling at my earlobes like a madman. Fortunately for me, thats how I like it. I haven't felt those effects since my days on N'Sane, which was the first preworkout I ever used. I've been chasing that same feeling ever since and I've finally found it.

One thing worth noting is that the insane energy rush lasted about 30 minutes or so. After that, it began to level off and clean itself up converting to a nice flow of smooth, sustainable energy throughout the rest of my 2 hour workouts. I have never had a preworkout do that before; exhibit such a strong initial rush before peeling back and evening out. I personally enjoyed that the most about this preworkout, as it kept my workouts from becoming stale by transitioning between the two stages. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this with this product, but it happened with me pretty consistently.

Focus - 7.5/10
    The only part of this product I would like to see improved. While the focus wasn't bad, it wasn't as good as I had hoped for. Initially, it was tough to lock in due to the atomic explosion of energy that washed over me after taking the product. Once that first wave of energy started to even out, the focus began to increase, pushing out all distractions and allowing my mind to settle into what I was doing. While I only achieved that elusive tunnel vision feeling a handful of times while using this product, the rest of the time I felt good and did not suffer from a lack of enthusiasm in the gym. It may also be worth considering that I switched to this product directly after using Ghost Legend for several months, and in my personal opinion, Ghost's focus is unmatched. My experience with Pathogen's focus may have been somewhat skewed by this.

Endurance - 8/10
    They say the star that burns twice as bright burns half as long. Outbreak Nutrition says blasphemy! Typically I find stim packed preworkouts don't fair as well in the endurance category due to the intensity they promote at the beginning of the workout. Usually I begin to fatigue before the end of my workout, but that was never a concern with Pathogen. My stamina never faltered. Most days I used this product for a 2 hour workout and went directly to working a 12 hour night shift without fatiguing in the slightest.

Should the day ever come that I find myself in post apocalyptic America, I would hope I'm well stocked on this product to get me through.

At $34.99 for 28 servings Outbreak Nutrition's Pathogen is fairly priced. Outbreak is also pretty generous with coupon codes and discounts on multiple items. The only issue I have is the lack of availability of Outbreak's products. The only way to get your hands on them is by ordering online and having it shipped to you.

"Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" - United States Postal Service

Heres hoping they amend that to include the Apocalypse.....

Side Effects

Temporary invincibility, burning desire to lift the largest and heaviest objects in the nearby vicinity, and the taste of ozone in your chest.

On a serious note, jitters were the only true side effect I suffered, and they usually ended by the midway point of my workouts.

Conclusion

Outbreak Nutrition has hit the ball out of the park with this one. If you prefer a stim heavy preworkout, this is the one for you. Great taste, fair pricing, and a simple, yet effective ingredient profile. Outbreak Nutrition is much more than just a marketing gimmick.
    • Double Barrel Berry: 8/10

December 7, 2017

• Strong Focus
    • Pump Could Be Better

Intro Supp Facts

This is a no nonsense profile, and with each serving you are getting what you need to get stuff done. Breaking the profile down: we only get 5g of Citrulline Malate which is less than the clinical dosage (6-8g), Beta Alanine is dosed clinically at 3.2g, 1g of Agmatine Sulfate is an efficient dosage, 500mg of Choline is good (more is always better ex: 2g), Caffeine is 350mg which is fine by me but may be a bit high for others especially grouped with the 125mg TeaCrine, finishing off with Theobromine and Juglans Regia "Natural DMHA". I am good with this formula even with the less than clinical CM, which I am not sure why they would skimp on the 1g other than cost..

Citrulline Malate 2:1 - 5g
    Beta Alanine - 3.2g
    Agmatine Sulfate- 1g
    Choline Bitartrate - 500mg
    Caffeine Anhydrous - 350mg
    TeaCrine - 125mg (at 40%)
    Theobromine - 100mg
    Juglans Regia (root) Extract - 100mg

Taste Mix Dose

The taste was very sweet like blue raspberry, which I was happy about since I don't like Berry and they sent me Double Barrel Berry flavor. Mixability was fine with no issues that a hard shaking or swirl would fix. Dosing was 1 full serving each time, which was enough while I was on a fasted state or low carb diet.

Effectiveness (8.7/10)

Starting off with the most important feature for me is the Focus and energy, which is the main reason I take a Preworkout other than the endurance. I felt the 5 ingredients for focus (Juglans + Theobromine + TeaCrine + Choline + Caffeine) did an excellent job, not only with providing a laser like focus but increased energy. Adding the TeaCrine meant that the energy was also slow releasing, or rather having an instant energy + having some energy come on later. Pumps were a pretty good with the Agmatine being well dosed, however they weren't as great as having 8g CM. I have been leaning out quite a bit, so vascularity is common enough for me and CM + Agmatine proved to show some vasky at times. Lastly the endurance wasn't the strongest for me, and I can't blame it on the lack of calories or carbs in my diet as I was using other products before and after this one which were better dosed on the CM and they worked better in this regard. Overall I felt the product out performed the normal run of the mill products, and I think it exceeded my expectations to say the least. Being on the lower carb/keto diet I am more receptive to stimulants than normal, so I felt the focus more and that was what really sold me on this product.

Value (8.2/10)

Each container has 28 servings, priced at $35 which comes out to $1.25 a serving giving this a pretty good value. There are similar products out there with a bit more to offer on this cost, but I feel it hits hard enough to be considered more than fair market value.

Overall (8.4/10)

I really was quite surprised with this product, not expecting it to hit as hard as it did especially at only 1 serving! I will admit that I was on a stimulant break before starting this product, so that does help a product knock your socks off. Thank you Outbreak, again sorry for the delay.
    • Double Barrel Berry: 7/10

November 13, 2017

• No Prop Blend
    • Felt Dehydrated
    Sup folks. I wanted to review a fantastic preworkout I just got through trying through sr.com and Outbreak Nutrition. I use a preworkout for a lot of reasons. The main ones happen to be for the energy and pumps you get from taking it.

NO PROP BLENDS!!! I can't tell you how happy I am when I see a preworkout with no proprietary blend listed on the label. I like the fact that I don't have to guess how much of a certain ingredient there is in it. Lets take a look at some of these ingredients:

6g's of Citruline Maleate!! That means you are about to get some serious pumps with this guy! The clinical dose is 8g's, so if you want to add a couple of grams you can. If there was a prop blend you wouldn't know that.

Beta Alanine is set at 3.2g's. That's a clinical dose. No need to add anymore. You should get plenty of "tingles" with 3.2g/s of Beta.

Typical amounts of Choline Bitrate (500mg), and Potassium Nitrate (350mg).

Caffeine is set at a WHOPPING 350mg's. If you're not used to a lot of caffeine you could want to start with a half scoop.

TeaCrine (125mg) is a nature-identical compound that delivers energy, mental clarity, and improved motivation and mood.

Theobromine (100mg) helps with the energy you need to get through your workout. It helped get me through some really tough/long workout days.

2-Amino-5-Methylheptane (100mg)- Seems to be another stimulant that helps give you more energy. This can also help get you past the tough workouts and not leave you feeling drained.

Taste- The taste is about the same as most preworkouts. It's not bad at all. I received the "Wa-Torn Melon" Tasted like watermelon flavored preworkout to me. Not a lot of aftertaste to me.

Mixability- I usually just dump a scoop in the shaker and put 8oz of water. A few times I went with 4oz bc I had fixed it to late, therefore, I wanted to take it in "shot" form. It mixed fine either way.

Dosing- Like I said above, 1 scoop with 8oz of H2O usually does the trick. I never lived on the edge enough to try more than one scoop.

It got me going. That is for certain. I used this for workouts, as well as basketball games. A couple of days a week I get together and play some pickup basketball with some guys here at the base I am stationed at. We play for a couple of hours and I feel that a preworkout like this gives me that extra energy and focus I need. The only issue I have felt is that if you aren't hydrating properly it can cause dry mouth and cramping. During the workouts I felt really focused and excited to be in the gym. Pumps were great also. Vascularity was definitely not a problem.

$40 for 30 servings. This is where it's a little tricky for me. I used to think $40 for 30 servings was crazy. However, it's really not. I found myself buy other preworkouts for $40 that only had 20 servings. That was crazy, but I fell in love with the product so I didn't mind. After taking Pathogen a few times I realized that this is definitely worth the $40 for 30 servings. That's 6-8 weeks of workouts, depending on how often you workout, for just $40. That's solid.

Side Effects

If you take it on an empty stomach it can cause major stomach issues because of the stims in it. Don't say I didn't warn you ;)

Conclusion

In conclusion, Pathogen has a good taste, solid ingredient profile, and is very affordable. I don't see why you don't, at least, give this product a shot. You'd be crazy not to. Thanks to Sr.com for the opportunity to give products like this a shot, and thanks to Outbreak Nutrition for participating in the program so that us little guys get our chance to speak our minds. I really appreciate it.
    • War-Torn Melon: 7/10

• No Creatine
    • Solid Strength
    • Focus Could Be Better

INTRODUCTION

What's up SupplementReviews. Thanks to Outbreak Nutrition and SupplementReviews for making this possible and trusting our judgement. Sorry for the delay with this Preworkout but the problem is that I received this like 3 weeks after I requested it from the SR Troop program so within those 3 weeks, I had to request another preworkout (UXO Preworkout V2) because I thought I wasn't going to receive Pathogen. So when I received it, I was already taking UXO Preworkout V2 so I decided to finish it first, rest 1 week from stimulants and then begin with Pathogen.

I lift weights 5 times per week, from Monday to Friday, I take a preworkout every of those 5 days. I began taking Pathogen on September 4 and I finished the 28 servings on Friday October 27 (click finished on the 29th). I don't know how this lasted me so long. I tried a few preworkout samples during this time but I also gave 2-3 servings to some friends to see the effects of Pathogen on them so one thing compensates the other. I measured the scoop size when full and it was overall fine I think... when slightly full, it showed 10 grams and it was supposed to be 11.8 grams. For it to reach the 11.8 grams, I had to do like a very tiny mountain... don't know if it was because of that, I doubt it. I was going to take some pics but I forgot and I can't anymore :/ I wouldn't worry too much about this.

TASTE/MIXABILITY/DOSING

TASTE: I requested and received the flavor "Agent-Orange Pineapple". It was delicious, sometimes I was tempted to try it even without water lol. You might want to add more water than what it says though. With 8oz, the flavor is very strong so you might not like that (or maybe yes). I usually added 12oz but 10oz is fine.

MIXABILITY: Excellent mixing, never gave problems here and no foaming! Powder's conservation was excellent too.

DOSING: 1 scoop 20-30 minutes before working out. Never needed more than 1 and I don't recommending taking more than 1.

INGREDIENT PROFILE & EFFECTIVENESS

User "gervs11" did a good job explaining the purpose of each ingredient so I won't stop too much there, that's why I'll merge Ingredient Profile with Effectiveness. As always, I'll divide the effectiveness into several areas:

- PUMP/VASCULARITY: The 5 grams of Citrulline Malate (2:1) and 1 gram of Agmatine Sulfate did a great job. I wasn't expecting great results because I thought the 350mg of Caffeine were going to affect this area but IMO it didn't. I'm bulking so I don't expect a lot of vascularity, it was decent. Muscle fullness was great and lasted during all the workout. I also think adding 5 grams and not 6 was a good idea because sometimes 6 grams or more can make you have a bathroom trip before working out.

- ENERGY: For energy, we have a blend of 4 principal ingredients: 350mg of Caffeine Anhydrous, 125mg of Teacrine (tasteless), Theobromine and Juglans Regia Extract. Citrulline Malate indirectly helps with energy. The energy was solid, it lasted the whole workout, I could workout for 2 hours and still have energy left. I had to force myself to end my workouts, that's a feeling I love <3. That's where you know your preworkout is working at full power! Slight crash after finishing although that could maybe be because I was mixing DMHA separately. The last day I took Pathogen (Friday 27), I trained for 3 hours and I still had energy left! It was insane! lol.

- ENDURANCE/PERFORMANCE: Like I always say: "Not everything is about Pump and Vascularity. Increasing Nitric Oxide levels also provide benefits related to endurance and performance." Citrulline Malate + Agmatine + the 3.2 grams of Beta-Alanine did a good job. The tingling sensation was always present. That tells us companies don't always have to add the patented form of Beta-Alanine to feel the effects. Recovery time between sets was reduced, excellent for making 2 exercises together. As I said, I could train for a longer time without difficulties and I had to force myself to end it.

FOCUS: Focus overall was average. I had like 2 or 3 workouts where I felt the tunnel focus but overall, it helped but not so much. Those 500mg of Choline Bitartrate + the others were trying to do the job but they needed more direct reinforcements.

STRENGTH: No Creatine, No party! I tried it without Creatine first and then I added Creatine. The difference was sometimes significant although there were days I wasn't missing Creatine so there was some party afterall ;) They were not the majority though. I'm lifting heavy weights so having a preworkout give me "Increased Strength" will be more difficult each month so I won't blame Pathogen too much. I'm not going to suggest Outbreak Nutrition to add Creatine because if you feel Pathogen needs Creatine, then add it yourself. Leave the formula just like it is right now. Don't touch what works!

So to summarize, I was more than satisfied with 4 of the 5 areas, the Focus area was the one that worked the least (average) and energy the most. Overall, solid effectiveness during the 28 servings. People that tried Pathogen were also satisfied, they liked it a lot. My expectations with Pathogen were not big or let's just say they were less than with UXO Preworkout V2, I thought the Citrulline + Arginine HCL was going to be better than the Citrulline + Agmatine but I was wrong. If the focus was excellent, then this would have reached a 9.

VALUE

Outbreak Nutrition's website has it for $39.99 and A1Supplements has it for $34.99 and is giving a free shaker of Outbreak Nutrition. If you want to try this excellent effective preworkout, this is the opportunity. TigerFitness also has it for $34.99. I think $34.99 by itself is a good price. I wouldn't pay $39.99 for this because it doesn't have BCAA nor Carbohydrates but based on how it worked for me, $39.99 is still worth it. It's also available in Australia.

SIDE EFFECTS

None. I'm happy I didn't have to go to the bathroom before working out. I only had to go once and it was my fault because I had my preworkout meal like 20 minutes before working out. Combining it with a preworkout with Citrulline will definitely make you go to the bathroom before starting. Make sure to consume lot of water during workout.

CONCLUSION

Overall it worked great. Only thing that worked ok and not great was the Focus. The Strength was sometimes great, other times decent, other times average but it helped. You might feel the Strength area more than me because I'm doing my maximum weight but I could feel it and use it. If you get it, you won't repent.

SUGGESTION FOR THE COMPANY

1. Would be good if you add another ingredient for focus to take it to the next level.

October 23, 2017

• Felt Dehydrated

Big shout out to the people at Outbreak Nutrition. It is always good to get a product that is worth the money and something you will use again. One of the things that first got my attention was the cover of the package and the name. I needed something to get my energy and focus going at the gym. Every now and then, we all need a little extra in our workout.

Ingredients are 5g Citrulline Malate, 3.2g Beta Alanine, 1000mg AGmass, 500mg Choline Bitartrate, 350mg Caffeine, 125mg Tasteless Teacrine, 100mg Theobromine and 100mg Juglans Regia. L-Citrulline is an amino acid that turns into L-arginine in the kidneys. Beta-alanine is the building block that helps buffer acid in muscles which can aid lean-mass gain. Agmass is agmatine sulfate which promotes nitric oxide in recovery and it improves metabolic functions. Choline is used for cognitive boosting properties and is a liver health agent, able to reduce fatty liver buildup that is found in high amounts in eggs, the yolks in particular. Teacrine is a compound which can be found in natural sources such as, coffee, and exotic fruits that delivers energy, mental clarity, and improved motivation and mood. It does not increase heart rate or blood pressure and is not a stimulant. Theobromine is used as a heart stimulant. Juglans regia, or better known as walnut, has high medicinal value and offers health benefits.

The ingredients in Pathogen are good items. The only thing is that it does contain a walnut-like ingredient so not for use for those with nut allergies. Even though the Teacrine is not a stimulant, Pathogen is still a stimulant pre-workout.

No problems with the taste and mixability. I got the double berry flavor and it fine. The Pathogen mixed well regardless if shaken or stirred. Instructions called for 1 scoop, which is what I stayed with. I know some people would go up to 2 scoops, but I made sure to stay with the 1 scoop. It called for an 8-ounce water mix but sometimes I would go with 16 ounces if I needed a little more hydration. Instructions say to consume prior to workout that I followed. If I had a long run or workout day, I would consume Pathogen during the workout within 15 minutes of the workout. The taste, mixability, and dosing were no issue.

The Pathogen did exactly what it was meant to do. I would always have enough energy and focus to get me through a workout. Somedays, I felt the tingle in my body and/or a pump but that was not every day. This is good for me because I do not like that feeling all the time. I did increase weights as I worked out (I keep a log on an app to make sure I am going up or maintaining the use of free weights) and never a day of fewer weights. The ingredients do contain caffeine but not more than I am accustomed to which was no problem. Studies show that 400mg of caffeine a day is a safe amount (this is usually found in about 4 cups of normal coffee like Folgers). If you are sensitive to coffee (my spouse usually has about 4 cups of half-cafe per day), you will definitely fill the jitters.

Effectiveness was great. The only downfall I had with Pathogen was feeling dehydrated and thirsty. I would not take Pathogen on days I had long runs because I sweat a lot and need to stay hydrated. Like I said, this is the only downfall I had with Pathogen so I would not recommend Pathogen with days that have a lot of cardio or sweating.

I was able to find Pathogen online from $32-$35 which is an ok price for a pre-workout. I have found my self to spend around $20-$25 so it is a little higher. I will get a good pre-workout if it is worth the money and I fill that Pathogen is in that area. The tub has 28 servings so it can get you at least a month if you workout 5-6 days a week. The cost is about $1.14-$1.25 per serving which I believe is a fair price. You can always find pre-workouts out there that are cheaper, but you usually get what you pay for. I have spent this much on some other products, but I have sometimes found myself getting things that are low in effectiveness. Pathogen, in my opinion, is not one of those pre-workouts. If you check the website, you will see that Pathogen is hard to come by so you will want to grab it when it is in stock.

Side Effects

Like I said earlier, the only real side effects were feeling dehydrated.

Conclusion

Pathogen is good pre-workout that is worth the try. It did exactly what I expected. The ingredients were fantastic. The taste was fine and mixability was great. The dosage of 1 scoop was just right for me. The effectiveness was good as it kept me focused and did help with the increase of free weights. I believe it is a normal value that is worth the money. The side effect of low hydration happened on high cardio days but was fine when doing a normal workout, which did have a low amount of cardio. I believe the advertising and tub covers were a good catch for the eye. This is a pre-workout I would recommend to anyone. I would like to give the Virus pre-workout a try and definitely something I will look into.
    • Double Barrel Berry: 7/10

October 15, 2017

• Smooth Energy
    • No Jitters
    • -missing Some Key Ingredient
    • Pump Could Be Better

I'd like to start by thanking Outbreak for the opportunity to try their pre workout as part of the trooper program. I have been using pre workout supplements for years now. I have used all different types, from low stim, no stim, moderate stim, high stim, performance based, endurance based, safe and natural, to new and exotic stims. Suffice to say that I have tried many and feel as though I could provide a solid opinion on them by now. Throughout my usage of Pathogen, I used the supplement at 5am semi fasted, with about a half of a scoop of whey protein. This stayed the same throughout my usage.

L-Citrulline Malate 2:1: 5000mg
    -Citrulline fights fatigue, while promoting muscle gains. Being combined with magic acid, I'd like to see the dosage higher, at least up to 8mg.

Beta Alanine: 3200mg
    -Increases stamina strengths and therefore, muscle gain. 3.2g is the recommended daily dosage. I'm happy to see it added in the amount. Some people may not like taking the full dose at once due to the parasthesia (tingles), but I kinda like it. Plus it means that I don't have to supplement else where to get the full dosage.

AGMass (agmatine sulfate): 1000mg
    -This pump inducing ingredient improves blood flow for better pumps while also providing some nootropic (mood enhancing) effects. 1g is right around the sweet spot for me and usually what most companies add to their products.

Choline Bitartrate: 500mg
    -This nootropic enhances memory, brain health and cognition. recommended dosages range between 250-1000mg, so 500mg here is near the middle of that.

Caffeine Anhydrous: 350mg
    -Waterless, highly concentrated form of caffeine. 350mg will be high for beginners, but for someone like me, it is right around where I like to be.

TeaCrine 40% as Tasteless: 125mg
    -Like caffeine, it will provide the needed energy for a full on attack of the gym. Unlike caffeine however, one does not build a tolerance to theacrine, which ensures a smooth, lasting energy over the course of the entire jar of preworkout. Outbreak even uses the tasteless form, which is appreciated, especially after tasting products with the regular form, which can taste pretty bad and take over the entire flavour.

Theobromine: 100mg
    -Like caffeine, it can provide intensity to a workout but without affecting the Central Nervous System. It has also been linked to better NO productions, so better pumps. 100mg falls in the range of daily recommendations

Jugulans Regia (root) extract: 100mg
    -It is a naturally occurring source of DMHA. This central nervous stimulant enhances energy and mental alertness. It has been linked to "feel good" or "euphoric" moods. 100mg is a pretty good dose, especially considering the other stimulants in this product.

Taste: Agent Orange Pineapple
    -The taste is pretty accurate to the name. You do get the flavour of both orange and pineapple, although I Would say that it leans more heavily to the pineapple side. It is recommended to mix it in 8oz of water but I found that 12oz gives it a perfect balance of sweetness and bitterness. I'd give it an 8 overall on a scale of 10.

Mixability: I am one of those people who do not shake the cup very hard or for very long. Instead, I tend to shake between sips. overall, I did not find any issues with the mixability. There was some graininess left over from time to time. But I don't really mind that so much.

Dosing: Servings per container say 28 and I found that to be pretty accurate. One this is however, that I would recommend using a scale to weigh out each dose as the scoop provided tends to under dose each serving. A serving size is 11.8g and I found that with a full scoop, not heaping, it usually came out to about 8 or 9g.

Energy/focus
    With Theacrine, caffeine, and DMHA, it is hard to go wrong with this product. Right from the beginning, it provided me with intense, focused energy that lasted well beyond a 60-90 minute workout session. The energy from this product was smooth and consistent throughout then entire workout and throughout the entire jug. That is probably do to the Theacrine. Focus was always present, but not as noticeable as the intense energy. it was not a jittery energy, but smooth and consistent. If I had to compare it to another product, I would say that it is about the same as Kraken at a single dose.

Performance/pump
    Although there is a decent amount of beta alanine, and CM, I did not notice any added performance boost. My numbers still progressed in the gym, but not any more so than they usually do due to progressive overload. I never felt like I could lift much more than usual, but I did have the energy to continue with my sets. I did not notice any extra pump effects either, which I was looking forward to with the CM and Agmatine.

--Value----
    At the time of writing this review, it can be found for $34.99. For a product with 28 servings and some pretty good ingredients at decent dosages, I would say that it is a decent value. Although I would like to see cheap ingredients like creatine added so I would not need to supplement extra, which would increase it's value slightly.

----Side Effects--
    I did not notice any negative side effects. Like I said, there were no jitters involved at all. One thing however, is the that "good mood" feeling that you get from DMHA. Hours after my workout, (around 4), I would just be walking around with sense a euphoria. It is difficult to explain otherwise. Only that you really feel good, almost high but unimpaired. If that makes any sense. Either way, I can't say that I hate that feeling.

Conclusion

I think that Outbreak has a strong competitor in the pre workout market with Pathogen. It is laking in a couple of areas like performance and pump, but the energy and good mood feelings are off the charts. I have taken many pre workouts over the years and I would rank Pathogen in my top 5 favourite in terms of energy and focus. It's definitely worth a try in my opinion.

October 3, 2017

• Supports Endurance

First off I want to thank Outbreak Nutrition for letting me have the chance to give this product a try. I had tried their first pre-workout they released called Virus and was not overly crazy about it. When I heard they were coming with a newer more stronger pre I was pretty excited and new I would have to give that a try. I will say after using this they did step up their game a bit more with this pre compared to their first one.

Everything you get in this is fully disclosed and they use no prop blends so you know just how much of everything you get in this. I give them a lot of credit for doing this and I hope this becomes the norm for all pre's. You get a total of 8 different ingredients in this. You have the pump and performance ingredients, citrulline malate at 5g per serving, 3.2g of beta-alanine, and a gram of agmatine. The other five are for energy and focus with half a gram of choline, 350mg of caffeine, 50mg of pure TeaCrine, and 100mg each of theobromine and DMHA. I feel they did a good job at increasing the dosages and making this a lot stronger and more effective than their first pre-workout. I think most everything they put in here is dosed at some pretty good levels to make this more effective. I would maybe like to see some creatine added to this to help a little more with strength but then again I can understand why some people don't want that.

I was sent the War-Torn Melon. This is going to be your watermelon flavor. It does have that watermelon taste to it but also there is a little bit of a chemical taste with brings the overall flavor down a little bit because of that. It is a little on the sweet side but not to bad. It was decent but I would probably not get this flavor again and would like to try their other flavors Double Barrel Barry, and Agent Orange Pinapple

I did notice that when I shook this up there were some little pieces I noticed that did not fully mix up right away but with a few more shakes they did seem to disappear. This does have a pinkish red color to it meaning they use dyes in this which I would rather not have. I am not a fan of dyes at all and feel there is no need to use them. It does make the product look cooler but that is all it does and serves no benefit to use. One scoop before my workout is all I need and that seemed to work good for me. There is no real need to go more than one scoop.

First we look at energy. You get a total of 350mg of caffeine. I feel that is a pretty decent amount and don't care to get much more than that at most. For those of you that are stim sensitive this maybe a little strong for you. For me I felt this was pretty good at giving me some good energy. It was nothing to crazy and never made me feel all jittery. It was more of a smooth like energy this gave me. It takes a little bit to start feeling it I noticed but slowly seems to build up to where you really start to noticed it and the energy I got seemed to last most of my workout but does start to fade a bit towards the end of it. I think the energy part works better and seems to last longer if your doing more high volume training rather than going real heavy and doing less reps.

My endurance from this I felt was greatly improved. With the beta alanine you will really feel the beta tingles right away. For me they hit me pretty hard right away but never seemed to last very long. I felt my endurance between sets was pretty good. I felt I was able to go a lot quicker between sets and able to do those last few reps with a little more ease and not get that muscle fatigue right away.

The pumps I got from this I thought were decent. I felt this helped make my muscle fuller a lot more efficiently and build a more denser pump than what I am used to which was kind of nice.

The strength gains from this I thought were so so. Since this does not have any creatine in it don't expect to get a big boost in your strength gains. I think this helped me maintain my strength more than anything and that was about it. I would like to see some creatine in this to help you more with strength gains and I feel it helps me preform better overall. I can understand whey some people don't want it in their pre-workout but for me I like having it.

The focus from this was fairly decent I thought. I am glad to see they use nootropics in this to help you with focus. I thought the mental focus from this was decent nothing real crazy like to where you get that really good tunnel vision. It did put me in a more calm and focused start of mine. I did notice my focus overall was better and was able to rid my mind of some distractions I may have but would like a little bit stronger effectiveness from this.

I think overall this is a good pre for any kind of lifter weather your a beginner or an advanced lifer. For the most part this seems to deliver in all of these areas fairly well but does start to fade a bit towards the end of your workout I noticed. I mean you do still feel things but just not as strong as you do when you first take it. I found this to be fairly good on my stomach and never caused me any unwanted gut issues or upset stomach.

The cheapest I could find this was on tigerfitness.com and they want $34.99 for 28 servings. I think that is maybe just a little high for this. It's not a big deal but would like to see them up this to at least 30 servings so you get that full month. If this was any higher I would have to lower the value a bit more. It's an ok price I think but could be a little better.

Side Effects

Nothing I noticed.

Conclusion

Overall I thought this was a pretty effective pre-workout for me. I think they did a really good job at improving this pre compared to their first pre called Virus. If your looking for a good pre that will help you with energy, endurance, pumps, and focus I would recommend checking this out. Their first pre-workout I thought was not to great but with a bit of tweeking of the ingredients would have helped make that one a lot better and feel they did that with this one by improving it a lot. I would like to see a little creatine added to this to help make it a little better. Also I would like to see a few more sites start carrying their products and then maybe that would help to lower their prices a bit more. Again I want to give a big shout out to Outbreak for making this and letting me have the chance to try it.
      • War-Torn Melon: 7/10