C4 Sport Reviews

By: Cellucor

FORUM TOPICS

C4 Sport is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Cellucor. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.
6.7

Overall
Overall
3.0
1.0
1.0
  August 4, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Low Price
  • Sports Performance
  • No A Pre-workout But An Ok Sports Drink
  • Prop Blends
  • Call It A Gatorade
Introduction:
I am a guy that always likes to try new stuff. I usually stick with the same protein powder, BCAA, and vitamin's but I will go through all kinds of pre-workouts. I know that pre-works can get pretty expensive so I like to find some that are effective and low cost. I found C4 Sport in a local store that usually has the only supplements I can find without making a 20-mile drive. I have used C4 a few times in the past, but I was not a "huge fan." I knew C4 was a well-known name and since I found some that were inexpensive, I thought I would give it a try. The biggest thing was I could get 30 servings for $20. I also assumed that since C4 made it, this is going to be like the C4 Ripped but I found that indeed a different product.

Ingredient Profile: 5/10

Serving Size: 1 Scoop (9.5 g)
Servings per Container: 30
Total Carbohydrates 1g
Vitamin B6 35mcg
Vitamin B12 35mcg
Phosphorus 180 mg
Magnesium 23 mcg
Sodium 120 mg
Potassium 180 mg

As usual, these vitamins can be found in most multi-vitamins. Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12 play an important role in a range of physical and psychological functions. They are most known for helping to maintain a healthy metabolism, nerve function, liver function, skin health, and eye health. The body uses phosphorus to form strong bones, get oxygen to tissues, create energy, change protein, fat, and carbohydrate into energy, and move muscles. Magnesium is a mineral that's crucial to the body's function. Magnesium helps keep blood pressure normal, bones strong, and the heart rhythm steady. Your body needs Sodium to work properly. It helps with the function of nerves and muscles. It also helps to keep the right balance of fluids in your body.
Potassium is a mineral that is found in the foods you eat and an electrolyte. Electrolytes conduct electrical impulses throughout the body. They assist in a range of essential body functions, including blood pressure, normal water balance, and muscle contractions. Basically, these vitamins give you energy and electrolytes.

The C4 Sport has 2 additional Performance Blend and Energy blend. The C4 Sports Performance Blend contains Creatine Monohydrate, Beta Alanine, Arginine AKG, DiSodium Phosphate, Magnesium Chloride, DiPotassium Phosphate. Creatine Monohydrate is one of the most popular supplements used by people looking to build lean muscle mass, maximize performance and increase strength. Beta-alanine is used for improving athletic performance and exercise capacity, building lean muscle mass, and improving physical functioning in the elderly. AAKG, also commonly known as Arginine AKG or arginine alpha ketoglutarate, contains the essential amino acid, and L-arginine to perform various important functions. Further, known to be a key player in protein synthesis. Disodium phosphate is a food additive that combines the phosphorus and sodium. Magnesium is important for the normal functioning of cells, nerves, muscles, bones, and the heart. This medication is a mineral supplement used to prevent and treat low amounts of magnesium in the blood. Magnesium is important for the normal functioning of cells, nerves, muscles, bones, and the heart. Disodium phosphate used to enhance food characteristics. Disodium phosphate is used in packaged foods, including macaroni and pasta, some cheeses, meat products, canned sauces, Jell-O, evaporated milk, and some chocolate. These ingredients together help produce contain products that can be found in some protein shakes. They also work with the vitamins in hopes of producing lean muscle mass and strength.

The C4 Sports Energy Blend contains Taurine, Caffeine Anhydrous, Pridoxal-5-phosphate, Methylcobalamin. Taurine is an amino acid that I have heard some people say come from bull urine or bull semen, but the truth is this conditional amino acid, taurine, does not come from the bodily fluids of bulls. Natural taurine actually comes from meat, fish, and dairy and is otherwise found as synthetic supplements. Most abundant in the brain, eyes, heart, and muscles, and much like glycine, is considered a conditional amino acid as opposed to an essential amino. Anhydrous caffeine is simply dehydrated caffeine and anhydrous means "without water." Available in pill or tablet form, or as a soluble powder. Anhydrous caffeine is found in a number of non-prescription medications such as Vivarin and No-Doze. Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate, or P5P, is the active form of vitamin B6 (which was mentioned earlier). Methylcobalamin, also known as Methyl-B12, is a form of the common vitamin B12 (which was mention earlier). It differs from typical B12 in that it has an additional methyl group, and contains metal-alkyl bonds. Methylcobalamin is one of the two coenzyme forms of vitamin B12.

I give this a 5/10 because the ingredients seem a little off compared to most pre-workouts. I couldn't find anything in the ingredients that would give you more energy. Not that the ingredients are bad, but a lot of these ingredients can be found in a multivitamin or a protein shake (if you add some creatine to it).

Taste/Mixability/Dosing: 7/10
The taste was fine and similar to what I usually put in with a water mix. Nothing fancy. Mixability was ok. It did mix alright with water when shaken but always had a little bit of powder at the bottom. Usually had to add some more water to it so that I could get all the mix. Dosing was one scoop per day and contained 30 serving so it could get you buy for a month. It was blue raspberry and taste just like blue raspberry water mix-in.

This is where things failed to go the way I had hoped. At no time before pre-workout did I ever get more energy or pump. This is not a pre-workout and doesn't fit the in the same category of one. I do like to take an electrolyte amino acid during a workout and this was similar to what I was already taken during the workout. C4 Sport kept me hydrated and it was good to have something other than water. I gave it a 1/10 because it kept me hydrated, but as a pre-workout, 0/10.

I was able to find it at Walmart only, which for me is good because of nothing else close enough to get pre-workout. At $20 per container for 30 servings works out to $0.67 per serving. Price wise, pretty cheap. The problem is its failure to be considered a pre-workout. I know I called it a pre-workout earlier because it says to take it 30-45 minutes prior to workout, but the only real thing I can compare it to is Gatorade. I gave it a 1/10 because it was inexpensive, but it is no value since it fails to be a "pre-workout".

Side Effects:
I did not notice any.

Conclusion: 3/10
The only real thing I can say here is that the C4 Sport is not a pre-workout. If you are looking for a water mix-in, then this differently fits that group. If you are out on a run or in a workout and need hydration, then go for C4 Sport. Do not get filled by the product out there that says "consume 30-45 minutes prior to workout" because not always a pre-workout.
  • Blue Raspberry: 9/10

Overall
Thanks to Cellucor for sending it out!
  January 8, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Low Price
  • Energy
  • Sports Performance
  • Prop Blends
  • Too Much Dye
Thanks to Cellucor for providing C4 Sport for an unbias review and thanks to SR.com for making this possible.

- Introduction -
The word preworkout seems to be getting thrown a lot, and I think it is time for a new one; PreSport. As an "athlete" I am always looking for something to give me a slight edge over my opponents and so far there has not been a whole lot of dedicated pre sport supplements. In the past I have tried a few for sports and they worked okay, even used a few preworkouts like Defcon1 for basketball and it worked, but it has a little more stimulants in it than I would like to be doing something that already has my heartrate upwards of 200 bmp. So when I saw Cellucor put C4 Sport up for grabs I decided this could be the one for me. One thing to keep in mind over this review is that I mainly used this product for sports, and only used it for the gym a few times just to get an idea on what the effects for the gym are.

- Ingredient Profile: 7/10
It has most of the ingredients you'll find in most preworkouts, but not a whole lot pump ingredients for good reason. Simply because you're not worried about the fullness of your biceps while playing basketball, rather the endurance and energy you have to excel at the sport. Everything is in a prop blend, but I like addition of creatine and beta alanine however it would be nice to know how much in this case. Creatine does wonders for those who play sports that require short duration of explosive movements such as football, basketball and tennis(lol sport) joking aside creatine it a great product, especially when it dosed daily in the 3-5 grams range. I would not expect to get my daily creatine needs from a preworkout, but it is still nice to know how much is in it so you can supplement other creatine to fill the gap. Next caffeine, which is another great tool for sports. Its a stimulate, so too much is bad and too little just doesn't work. The caffeine is in a prop blend and it is not disclosed how much is in one serving. Now that I cannot stand, put everything in a prop blend, but at least tell me how much caffeine is in it. I think it is important to know how much caffeine you take in daily, and in this case its impossible to track. Most likely its somewhere in around 150 mg which is my best guess, but again its a guess and I think Cellucor should at least disclose the caffeine content in this.

Overall I liked the simple effective approach to the ingredients, the only thing I would change is disclose the creatine, beta alanine and caffeine even if just the caffeine is disclosed I would be happy.

- Taste: 9/10
Blue Raspberry: As any Cellucor product goes, this tasted pretty good.

- Mixability: 8/10
Throw a scoop in a shaker, give it a few shakes and bam it is mixed.

- Dosing -
30 servings total, 1 scoop of 9.5 grams which gives you 5.71 grams of the "Sports Performace Blend" and 1.15 grams of the "Energy Blend"

- Effectiveness: 7.7/10
It does not breach the 8 rating for a few reasons I will discus as I break the effectiveness down into three different parts.

Performance: 8/10
I used this mainly for sports such as basketball, football and soccer. I play basketball around 6am in the mornings during the week with a few friends before work and about 15-20 minutes after taking this I would get the slight tingles from the Beta Alanine and would start warms up for basketball. 30-40 minutes into taking this I would notice I felt more energized and more spry for lack of a better word. In comparison when I did not take this normally my performance starts to fade about 30 minutes into playing, but with C4 Sport it kept my performance up throughout the duration of the games.

Energy: 7.5/10
Again I felt energized from taking this and it carried over into my game and lead to better results. Like I had said prior, without this my performance fades in around 30 minutes into basketball and just about any sport for that matter, and C4 Sport kept me energized for a solid 2 hours of playing usually. The beta alanine helped to keep my muscles fresher and the caffeine gave me a solid flow of energy throughout.

Focus: 7/10
Here's the part that I wasn't impressed by, the focus. One of my favorite aspects of a preworkout is the focus I get from it. I've taken Defcon1 before to play basketball and that had me zoned in, however with C4 Sport is was only a slight level of focus brought on by the caffeine. The focus was there, just not to the level I would prefer. Maybe add something like Alpha-GPC or Hup-A to gain a little more focus.

Overall I liked the experience I got from C4 Sport from sports aspect, however I would not use this as a goto for working out which I will go into briefly.

As a preworkout for the gym I just was not too impressed. Like I had said there wasn't enough focus which is important for me, because while I am in the middle of a squat my mind can switch to something like "I wonder how annoying it would be to spend a day with Socrates" and that happens at the worst times for me, so I like to have a little something to keep my mind on point which this did not provide.. There is little to no pump, which I wasn't expecting anyways and the strength I got from this isn't anywhere near that of other preworkouts I have tried so I do not recommend this as a staple preworkout, rather a presport supplement.

- Value -
$20 for 30 servings? Yes, yes and yes! I think the price is pretty good for what you are getting. This has popped up in the WalMart near where a did a few months ago and it seems like that is the main retailer for it, and somewhat explains the low price.

- Side Effects -
Dyes...too much dye and it is becoming a thing for me to get an upset stomach from taking Cellucor's product due to the amounts of dye they add. Would advise to lessen up on the dyes.

- Conclusion -
C4 Sport did a good job at providing energy for sports, and I think it is a worthwhile product to anyone looking to find something to take before sports. I would recommend this anyone looking for a pre sports supplement and even to those just getting into preworkouts as this would be a cheap starter pre. Thanks again to Cellucor, love trying this out!
  • Blue Raspberry: 9/10

4.4
6.4
Thanks to Cellucor for sending it out!
  December 26, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Low Price
  • Too Much Dye
  • Underdosed And Underspecified

Firstly a big thank you to Cellucor for participating in the TROOPS program. They made several products available for review recently.

As a previous winner of SR supplement company of the month and a pretty well known brand, I was however expecting more of C4 Sport. What I got was prop blends, not much pump, and energy that appears to be derived mostly from caffeine. Only saving grace is that its cheap. You'll need to double the dose to 2 scoops but even then its only $1/dose at the current $15 price on Amazon or Wallyworld - super cheap for anyone on a budget.

Lets take a more detailed look...

So the bad news starts with most of the active ingredients being lumped into 2 big prop blends:

Performance blend (5.71g), containing creatine monohydrate, beta alanine, arginine, and some electrolytes/buffers.

Energy blend (1.15g), containing taurine, caffeine, pyridoxal-5-phosphate and methyl cobalamin

We are really none the wiser for reading the label - this product could contain 5g creatine mono, 1g taurine - and pretty much nothing else. Who knows? Aside from the likelihood of being underused for most ingredients, not knowing how much creatine is in there is also a nuisance if you are supplementing separately with creatine.

C4 sport contains creatine mono so its not going dissolve completely, however thats no big deal. Just swirl in water and drink it. I had fruit punch flavor which was a pretty disgusting mix of synthetic almond and cherry flavors. The other issue I have it that its loaded with red dye. I dont mind a little color in an intra since it make it easy for me to tell my intra from my post workout carb drink (I take both to the gym and load up on dextrose on the way out the door of the gym). But C4 Sport is stacked with lurid red lake #40 dye - totally unnecessary. Looks like a pint of blood in your shaker. I guess they do that to make the average bro think he is taking a powerful supp.

Although I am not a stim freak I found 1 scoop was not doing it and had to use 2 scoops to get something from it.

My go to PWO is PRE from Nutrabio. Another PWO I use regularly is Fully Loaded from LGI. So I am comparing C4 Sport to those two. I will point out that, while 1 scoop of my regular PWOs is enough for me, at 1 scoop of C4 I really didn't feel anything. So I went to 2 scoops and did get some energy boost from it. But the feel was more of a straight caffeine stimulation (and probably some kiddie-like rush from the Red Lake #40). I wasn't getting the endurance and intra set recovery I get with my regular PWOs. I think also the beta alanine is well underdosed - I never got any tingles even at 2 scoops. I also got minimal pump with C4. All in all then pretty disappointing.

Here is the good news: at currently available offer pricing, and going with 2 scoops, it works out at $1/serving - compared about $2 per scoop for PRE and Fully Loaded.

Side Effects

None really

Conclusion

This is a cheap PWO but you get what you pay for (even though you dont actually know what you are getting).