100% Whey Protein Reviews

By: Cytosport

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #18 of 91 (better than 81%) in
Protein > Whey Protein

100% Whey Protein is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Cytosport. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.
INGREDIENTS (4)
THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)

Rapidly digested form of protein rich in amino acids that helps support lean body mass gains and muscle protein synthesis.

THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)
CATEGORY AVG
14095mg

Purest form of whey protein that maximizes protein synthesis and minimizes muscle breakdown with almost no carbs or fats.

COMPARE SIMILAR

workoutguru
  July 8, 2013

I happen to see this at Costco and thought I would give it a try. I believe Costco is the only place that sells this. I just finished the chocolate and now just started the Vanilla flavor. Those are the only two flavors that I know they sell. I would like them to have some more flavors I could get. One thing different about this is that this comes in like a zip lock big size bag instead of a big jug. The bag is pretty durable and always stayed standing up when I used it all the way until it was gone.

Ingredients.9
This has concentrated and Isolated Whey Protein in this.
Net WT 6lbs
Magnesium 4%
6g BCAA's per serving
4.7g L-Glutamine and Glutamine Precursors

Typical Amino acid profile
L-Isoleucine 1,635mg, L-Leucine 2,840mg, L-Valine 1,535mg, L-Tryptophan 495mn, L-Lysine 2,530mg, L-Threonine 1,820mg, L-Phenylalanine 820mg, L-Methionine 565mg

Amino Acid
L-Alanine 1,325mg, L-Arginine 605mg, L-Glycine 475mg, L-Aspartic Acid 2,960mg, L-Glutamine & Precursors 4,700, L-Cysteine 615mg, L-Histidine 495mg, L-Tyrosine 735mg, L-Proline 1,555mg, L-Serine 1,295mg

It says on the front of the label that this is Manufactured free of banned substances in a NSF GMP for sport registered facility.

I noticed they get pretty detailed on the list of ingredients they put in this. I think it is pretty good what all they put in this. I like that the protein is a little higher per servings compared to a lot of other proteins. I like the amount of bcaa's they put in this 6g.

Price 9
When I first got the chocolate flvor the price was $48.99 and now they have it for $45.99. You get a total of 75 servings. I think the price of this is pretty decent considering the amount of servings you get and for what's all in this for Ingredients.

Taste 9
I thought the chocolate was not to bad. It does not have a real strong chocolate taste to it kind of like a cocoa. This reminded me of drinking chocolate milk but with a little less sweeter of a taste to it. I just started the Vanilla now and I think the vanilla is a little better tasting. Both of these flavors I thought were enjoyable to drink and did not have to chug them just to drink them.

Mixability
I never really had any problems when it came to mixing this. I always mixed this with water and had no clumping at all but I did notice that it did foam up a little when I shook it up. I noticed the powder in this is really fine and does not get very thick when mixed.

Effectiveness 9
I thought this was a pretty decent protein. I felt I got really good recovery from this and had very little soreness from taking this. I know this helped a lot in me building more muscle mass and helped get me a little more cut up also. I felt I put on a little more size and weight from this. I felt I had little issues with bloating from this which I usually notice a lot when I have taken other brands of protein. This is one issue with proteins I don't like is the bloating I usually get. This really helped me in keeping a lot of my strength gains I got.

Overall 9
Overall I thought this was a great product for what it did for me. I like that this has 75 servings in it and the price is not to bad either. I think the ingredient profile is pretty solid and worked good for me. I would highly recommend giving this a try. I wish more places besides Costco sold this product. I think this is one of the better proteins that Cytosport makes. I will for sure be using this again as long as the price stays where it's at and does not start getting much higher.
  • Bag Stands Up
  • Vanilla Better Than Chocolate
  • Wish More Places Carried This Product.
Wrestler152
  July 16, 2011

Winner.This a basic protein with a great value, i dont think ill buy a different protein.

Profile: 8
Only 3g of carbs, 2g of fat, and 27g of protein a scoop, nice and basic.
I threw away my bag but im pretty sure this has 2.7g of leucine a serving which is legit.

Effectiveness: 8
This is a protein powder not Tren, helped me get my daily protein when whole foods were in short supply. I took 2 scoops post workout with no bloating which is another plus. All in all this protein did its job.

Taste: 7
Taste is your basic chocolate protein, i mixed it with skim 90% of the time and it was pleasant but nothing to write home about. I didnt like the chemical after taste though. For postworout i mixed it with skim and nesquick powder it was divine.

Mixability: 9
I dont even know why im even reviewing this part, put it in a blender bottle and you wont get any clumps.

Value:9
78 servings for $35, best value ive seen.Seeing how this has a decent amino acid profile id say its a steal.

Overall:9
Great basic protein, ive noticed no difference from this and ON gold standard. I will be buying this protein from here on out.
  • Chemical After Taste
deumcole

March 13, 2011

Very good basic protein, for a very good price. Not typically a fan of Cytosport, but I hadta try this.

Value: A
Got this at Costco for about $30, for around 6lbs or something like almost 70 servings. This lasted me a long time, well over 2 months & I used everyday 2x a day.

Profile: B
Basic profile. Good amounnt of BCAAs, about 24g protein, minimal carbs, minimal calories. The thing that sold me was the lack of lactose. I'm slightly lactose intolerant, & I do get some bloating from other proteins but barely any with this stuff.

Effectiveness: B
Surprised me a lot. I didn't expect much interms of recovery & other stuff, but I got pretty good recovery with this stuff. Stayed pretty lean while using this, & that I wasn't expecting. Despite a basic protein IMO, it did very well.

Mixability/Drinkability: A+
Lumped these 2 categories togetther, since they go hand-in-hand. Usually if it doesn't mix well it doesn't drink well.
Mixed very easily. A quick flick of the wrist & this stuff was thoroughly mixed. Also mixed very smooth in water (never tried in milk), as if there was nothing added to the water. Went down easy, nice & smooth.

Taste: D
Horrid taste. Bought chocolate, didn't taste like chocolate at all. Went down easy, but it tasted bad the whole way down. After a week or 2, you get used to it. After awhile I really didn't mind it at all. It still tasted bad, but you get used to it.

Overall: B
Good, strong, basic protein. Nothing really special, just everything you need. Doesn't do anything over the top, but instead covers the basics.

In the end this was a good buy. Lasted long, & worked really well. The price is what sells it, I don't think there's really a better value in terms of basic proteins. I could definitely see myself buying this again, as a matter of fact fairly soon. So yes, I would definitely recommend this.
semperfi0861
  December 2, 2011

To start off,this particular protein might not be wildly popular being that its cheap costco protein. Ordinarily i live by the golden rule "If it's at a grocery store, it's crap". I had a choice protein synthesis from nutrishop or cytosport from costco. Being that i was broke as hell, i opted for the cheap one. I didn't expect much, but thankfully i was pleasantly mistaken. 80% concentrated whey 20% isolated whey. I have three older teenagers in the house. We are going broke on food alone.

The Breakdown:
2.4g fat
140 calories
*2.8g leucine :)

Effectiveness:9
Nothing out of the ordinary, still got doms two days after,but I'm ok with that. It was a good supplement to my diet when i had smaller meals, and i am comfortable with the bcaa profile. I supp with extra bcaa so no worries on that end.

Taste:9
Probably a bit sweet for most,it didn't really bother me. I was putting in unflavored bcaa's at the time so i welcomed the extra taste. No aftertaste what so ever.

Mix-ability:7
As long as i used my blender cup, i had no issues. When i used just a regular shaker cup it was a bit lumpy, but hey its cheap protein what do you expect.

Value:10
The good part 6 lbs for $27, this will be my go to protein from now on. I know the ingredient profile is stronger in other mainstream protein blends, however at this price I am satisfied.

Overall:9
This is my third 6lb bag so far, I'm not going to say its going to add 10 lbs in 30 days like some of the other high end mixes claim. Lets face it if your buying a $27 6 lb bag of protein you know it's not top tier. For what is though, it is definitely worth every cent. I would definitely recommend this protein if your on a tight budget like I am, however i do believe it should be used along with a high quality blended protein i.e. protein synthesis(my fav).

• Too Sweet For Some
chumpchange
  March 30, 2013

this has been my protein of choice for long time now. very good all around protein. good profile, decent taste, no stomach aches, mixes better than other cheap proteins, and even the container being a bag instead of a tub is great for saving space in a pantry.

here's the breakdown

-taste 6.8/10
only 2 flavors i know of, chocolate and vanilla. never had the chocolate and the vanilla tastes decent with skim milk. i usually have mine with some fiber one or cheerios post workout.

-profile 7.7/10
again the chocolate might be different, but the vanilla is low fat, low carb, and high protein. serving size is 36g with 27g of protein, 2.5g of fat and 3g of carbs. not the best, but still very good.

-value 8.9/10
this is where it shines. i pay 45$ for a 6lb at costco. that's comparable to most 4lb tubs. there are plenty of other cheap protein powders out there, but in my experience they all either taste like crap, mix very poorly, or have a less than stellar profile. this stuff has been none of these for me. i also don't experience the occasional stomach aches i get with other cheap proteins.

OVERALL: 7.8/10
  • Doesn't Fall Over Like Serious Mass Bag
  • Bag Stands Up
  • Good Using Fruit
  • Vanilla Better Than Chocolate
hockeypuck21
Rep: 0
  December 4, 2012

I bought a 6lb bag of this at Costco for my off days as a meal replacement.

8:Profile
The ingredient profile of this protein is impressive for the value, for a single scoop you get 27 grams of protein, 3 grams of carbs, 2 grams of fat, 6 grams of BCAA's, and all for only 140 calories.
The one downside of the profile to me is it is fairly high in cholesterol.

8: Mixability
While this protein mixes well right away it doesn't receive a ten, because when I have a shake mixed in the fridge at work it does NOT mix well when I go to mix it again to drink it.

10: Value
The value is a RARE ten. You receive a giant six pound bag for $50. While there are more superior proteins around for the money you can't beat it.

7.5: Effectiveness
I have taken 12 lbs of this protein while it serves it's purpose as a meal replacement for college kids like me, who are also working part time and trying to lift, I would not recommend it for bulking or building.

7: Taste
Another area where this product loses points. It loses points mostly because if you have tasted any other products cytosport makes you'd expect more from the taste too! While the taste is not horrid it is not very good the chocolate is much better than the vanilla, even though it still has a chalky, dark chocolate, coffee sort of taste.

Overall a great product and serves it's purpose as a good meal replacement shake, because its ingredient profile for the value is unsurpassed.
Polak197
  June 16, 2011

I've been using this protein powder since I joined Costco in 2009.

Taste 10/10: Very, very sweet. I suspect they use a lot of artificial sweetners to enhance the taste (there's only two or three grams of carbs and one maybe from sugars). It should be noted that ignorance is not bliss, and there could be serious ramnifications from excessive artificial sweetners.

Effects ??/??: It's hard to tell if protein powder is going to make or break your training regiment or physique. With 6 grams of BCAA's, 2 grams of fat, and little to none carbs, this product is just another protein source. I have noticed that MuscleTech Hardcore uses 26 out of 27 grams of there protein as BCAA's; which impresses me. All I can say is that this is 100% whey protein and the price per pound is amazing. At Costco, I pay 5 or 6 bucks a pound... go to GNC, you'll find yourself being charged 15-20 bucks a pound, if not more.

Protein powder is a staple amongst athletes and bodybuilders; the protein I will be consuming is the protein that best fits my wallet

I rate this product an 8 because I feel that all protein powders are, at least, average. So, too, the effectivness because I have never consumed a protein powder that made me look like Arnold; the protein powder does what it does, it HELPS to build muscle. The value is incomparable, at wholesale price no one will see a better deal.
  • Too Sweet
DCSVallone
  June 16, 2011

This, by far, is my favorite product that I use. I'm on my 3rd bag.

Value: 10/10, This is probably the best value protein product that I have seen on the market. 78 servings of 27g of protein is a good deal when dealing with whey protein mixtures.

Effectiveness 10/10: I do 2 servings in whole milk to get about 60g of protein and 30g of carbs and fat to create a sick recovery drink and I must say... It works amazing, I started p90x and I definitely was sore after week one which probably couldn't be prevented regardless of the recovery supplement, however, after week one, my muscles were recovering much faster and I experienced very little soreness.

Overall 10/10: This product helps build some serious muscle by helping you recover faster, allowing you to perform stronger and work harder. It has a low cost (like everyone else, i got mine at Costco for $40). It tastes great (even better in whole milk 1:1 ratio)