L-Carnitine

By: NOW

L-Carnitine is an Amino Acid Product manufactured by NOW. It is an amino acid based product that doesn't fall directly into the other categories. The use can vary depending on the specific product.

What should I take with L-Carnitine?
isaacn15
  March 10, 2011

While the product above is regular L-Carnitine, I used Acetyl-L Carnitine but had nowhere to post a review. This is my second review and I have worked hard on it in order to make it a great review of a product lacking reviews. I have modeled this review of those of Petey and Manimal by the way.

Dosing/Value: 9/10
$9.19 from AllStarHealth.com (I love their website). 50 capsules and 500mg per capsule. Directions say 1 capsule, 1-3 times per day and I took it once with breakfast and once with dinner. 37 cents per day is not bad but I should have gotten a larger size as this did not last me very long.

Cognitive-related Claims: 7/10
Acetyl l-Carnitine is claimed as having an effect on focus and cognitive abilities. This was not true for me. I did not see an increase in any memory or brain function areas. While I am recovering from 3 concussions, my condition has gotten better. This could be from this product but it also could be from me getting more sleep and resting my brain/body.

Here are some claims on the bottle by NOW: ""supports cellular energy production by assisting in the transport of fat into mitochondria... Can cross the blood-brain barrier where it exerts and antioxidant effect, helps to maintain healthy cellular energy metabolism and supports brain function"

Obviously I saw none of those affects but I don't think over 25 days anyone would.

While I was using this product, I was also using Bronkaid and Caffeine (EC stack) 1-1.5 times per day, Optimum Nutrition's CLA, among other supplements. I also was working out for the first time in about 6 months. I lost about 7 pounds of fat and replaced it with 5 pounds of muscle in about 2.5 months. This change was quite profound but I would not put the changes in my body composition on the shoulder's of this product. If anything, maybe it helped but the results wouldn't be too pronounced. I Originally looked at l-carnitine for weight loss, but figured acetyl-l carnitine would aid in weight loss and cognitive areas.

I give it an 8 since I do not want to be too harsh. I should have been smarter and used this for a longer time period. Right now I am undecided on whether or not I like this product. If I come across some money or really get into the weight room after lacrosse season is over, I will give this a shot for a good 3 months.

Isaac
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Could Not Tell If It Was Working

• BrooklynBuff
    March 10, 2011

Great review bro,I'm skeptical of carnitine myself,never can pinpoint results+
  • isaacn15
    March 10, 2011

Thanks man. I find it weird that many people recommend it yet there's like NO results for it.
    If my review gets bumped down by 1 paragraph craps I'm not gonna be happy... :(
  • bignastyrico
    March 10, 2011

Good review. i have used carnitine for awhile now but it did take several months at at least 2-4g a day to notice a slight difference. but it really needs to be combine with other supps
  • isaacn15
    March 10, 2011

As stated I used this with:
    Bronkaid
    Caffeine
    Dymatize Elite Whey
    ON Pro Complex
    ON CLA
    SuperCissus RX

but @ 2-4g wouldnt it get expensive?
Copyright © 2015 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.