ProtoLyte 100% Whey Isolate Reviews

By: VMI Sports

(Better than 96% in Protein > Whey Protein)

ProtoLyte 100% Whey Isolate is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by VMI Sports. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Protein > Whey Protein

July 13, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Quality Ingredients
  • Mixes Perfectly
  • Better Recovery
  • Great Macros

An okay tasting protein that is almost perfect in what it has for the ingredients. It is overall a very great protein but the flavor needs some work in my opinion.

First I would like to thank vmi for letting me try this amazing product. I normally like to have blends or pure concentrate protein but this profile was too good for me to skip on.

Calories are 105
    Total Carbohydrate is at 1g
    Dietary Fiber is it0g
    Sugar is at 0g
    And the total Protein is at 25g
    Then it has the following in it
    Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate @ 500mg
    Calcium Bisglycinate Chelate @ 300mg
    Potassium Glycinate Complex @ 183mg
    Chromium Nicotinate Glycinate Chelate @ 8mg

Ingredients:
    non GMO cold processed Whey Protein Isolate, Cocoa Powder, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Sucralose and Enzyme blend.

This is one of the better protein powder out there. There are not a lot of ingredients. The added enzymes are a great choice so you absorb more of the protein in it. I think this might be one of the best whey protein isolates you can purchase. I like that it is cold filtered and has no GMOs.

I received chocolate peanut butter flavor and I thought it was good but not the best. I think it is better than ON protein but I'm more of a vanilla person. It did not have enough peanut butter for me and was too much chocolate. If you are a chocolate person then you may like this a lot more than I did.
    The mixability was great. I would shake for a few seconds and I was done. Nothing would settle to the bottom or stick to the cup.
    I would take 1 scoop preworkout on somedays depending on how I was feeling. On most days I would take 2 scoops postworkout. 1 immediately after working out and another a few hours later. On weekends I would sometimes do 1 scoop with my breakfast.

I think it is hard to rate effectiveness of protein but I like to rate it based on taste and digestibility. I had no problems at all with digesting this. I did not get farts or have to go to the bathroom after taking this. I also felt more hydrated while taking this. I think that might be because the electrolytes. I was also less sure the next day compared to other protein powders I've tried. I'm not sure if that was from other products I was taking or this protein though. I also had more energy when I took this preworkout compared to other proteins I have tried.

You can find this for $50 for a 2lb from vmisports.com which is $2.00 a serving. Or if you want a 5lb which has 70 servings it will cost $80 which is $1.14 a serving. This might seem a little expensive at first glance but you have to think about all the extras they put in here. It has digestive enzymes and electrolytes in it and it is cold filtered. This is actually a really great price for what you are getting in this.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is one the the best whey isolates out there if you dont care for taste and care more about the quality of your protein. I also typically like vanilla over chocolate so that may be why I did not enjoy the taste as much as others seem to. They put extras in here to make sure you get your moneys worth and I think it worked the best out of all the whey isolates out there.
    • Chocolate peanut butter: 7/10

Other Prices:
    Optimal Nutrition   $39.99
    VMI Sports   $49.99

July 11, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Quality Ingredients
    • Tastes Great
    • Mixes Perfectly
    • TRAACS Electrolytes And Minerals
    • Digestive Benefits
    • Pricey

A very good isolate protein with digestive enzymes and hydration extras.

Hey SR, here today to review VMI Sports isolate protein called Protolyte. Usually, I don't go for isolate proteins as I think regular whey concentrates are just as effective for me and my goals at a better price point, and in all honesty I prefer whey/casein blends for the extended release and flavor satiating benefits that it provides. That being said, isolate does have benefits of fast acting proteins, usually have very clean profiles, and this in particular has some added extras for digestion and hydration that interested me so I was ready to give it a try.

In my opinion, VMI delivers a great profile here. First the macros are very clean at 105 cals, less than a 1g of fat, 1 carb, and 25 grams of protein. I personally have a very strict keto diet going on so this is extremely easy to fit into my macros and shouldn't be a problem for anyone else. Also, with 25 g of protein in a 29 g scoop there's not a lot of crap in here. Then we get some added extras that VMI added with digestion enyzmes and TRAACS chelated hydration minerals. I'm a big fan of both as with the heat of Phoenix and cardio I do it's always good to keep hydrated. Also, I think digestive enzymes are very underrated for achieving your goals and keeping your body running smoothly. Having these added extras I think is great and separates Protolyte in a flooded protein market.

Mixability with a solid isolate is usually top notch and it's the case here. This mixes very easily in a shaker with just water and minimal shaking. It did not clump at all for me. Dosing is whenever you need to fit protein into your diet really, but since this is an isolate with fast acting proteins I usually took post workout. The flavor I had was chocolate fudge cookie and it was also excellent. Since it's an isolate, flavoring is much lighter than other types of protein but this chocolate did have more of the fudge cookie flavor that made it different than regular chocolate proteins. When I have an isolate I usually use less water to amp the flavor for me and it worked well here.

So as everyone says it's hard to judge proteins and that's the truth. First, this digested very easily and was extremely easy to fit into my routine so that's great. I can say as well, with my low carb diet, staying regular can be an issue and during my run of this I did feel that it helped with this a lot. Also, this is lactose free, and my wife has always had trouble with protein powders as she is pretty lactose intolerant and will have to run to the bathroom not long after taking. When she tried a scoop of this she had zero issues which I thought was great. As far as lifting and my goals, since I am cutting I never expect to really see strength gains and I didn't, but this helped me preserve my muscle mass with protein and helped me progress towards my goals with a tasty treat. I was very happy with protein on multiple levels.

Isolates are usually more expensive, and with the added extras I expected this to be pretty expensive, and it is. Lowest price I can find this is $35 for 25 servings. At this price point it would be hard for me to buy as a staple, but I think the price is fair and when I wanted a great isolate I would definitely buy this again at this price as I think it's fair.

Side Effects

Conclusion

For isolate fans, especially if you have any digestive issues, this is a great option for you to consider.

Other Prices:
    Optimal Nutrition   $39.99
    VMI Sports   $49.99

June 29, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Quality Ingredients
    • TRAACS Electrolytes And Minerals
    • Increased Hydration

Simple 100% whey Isolate with some electrolytes and enzymes. Tastes great and is easy to use.

Back again, I am 46 years young (today anyway), and have been using supplements for ever. Therefore I am positive that I can try out a newer Protein. I am currently not at 100% but fixing a messed up back and thought this would be fun to add to my diet. I basically am in a maintenance mode with some cheating. This helped me get a little better treat than an actual treat. I am also in summer mode which means I am running all over with my kids for various activities. Thanks to VMI and the SRTrooper program for allowing me to try this new protein.

Calories @ 105

Calcium Bisglycinate Chelate @ 300mg
      Potassium Glycinate Complex @ 183mg
      Chromium Nicotinate Glycinate Chelate @ 8mg

Ingredients:

This is a pretty good shot at a protein powder. There are not a lot of ingredients and protein is the number 1 ingredient. The added enzymes are an interesting choice. I kind of like it as I realize that if you don't absorb it it doesn't do you any good. Also the added electrolytes help restore our "normal" state after exercise. All in all I am happy with the profile of this product.

----Taste/Mix-ability/Dosing----

I received the Chocolate Fudge Cookie, and I really enjoyed it. It was a nice smooth treat to have when I wanted to get that sweet tooth taken care of.

This product mixed really well. I do use a shaker bottle with the metal whisk and I shake then drink.

I used between 4 and 12 ounces of water and other than the strength of flavor it worked well for all of them. They suggest 8oz of beverage to one scoop. I probably used 10oz of water the most and for me it was enjoyable. I do not like thick shakes so I tend to use more water than most people do. They suggest taking 1 scoop within 30 minutes of workout and then anytime during they day as you need it. I found like most protein powders they are pretty easy to dose. I tend to use it as an extra and so it was pretty easy.

This was effective for me in 2 ways. One way I used this was as a snack and extra protein in my smoothies. This kept me satisfied until my next meal, and sometimes kept me on a healthier path for snacks. When I used this post workout it seemed to help me recover

As of 6/29/2018 I found the following prices.

Company website has it for $49.99 for a 2# container (25 servings), and $79.99 for a 5# container (70 servings).

Tiger fitness has the 2# for $39.99 for 2# container(25 servings).

This leads us to a cost per serving between $1.60 for the 2# container and $1.14 if you buy the big container. At the cheaper price I think it is a good value as my go to Machine whey is around 90 cents a serving. That being said this is a Isolate protein and Machine whey is a concentrate. Isolate is a more expensive product, and yet it is close in price. Machine all natural isolate is $1.37 a scoop, so like I say it is reasonable.

Side Effects

I had no negative side effects from this product. It seemed to digest well and gave me no bloating or other issues.

Conclusion

In conclusion I would tell you to give this a shot. It tasted really good and was a high quality protein. I think that the price for this in the big container is very reasonable and shouldn't stop you from using it. I personally still think that supplements are to be used to augment your food intake no replace it. Therefore I don't use as much protein powder as I used to, however I can see where this will fit into my future supplement usage. VMI has really come out in my opinion, giving us good products at good price points. This one also just happens to taste really good as well. Once again thanks to VMI and the SRTrooper program for allowing me to find a new protein supplement to use.......
      • Chocolate Fudge Cookie: 9/10
      • Vanilla Peanut Butter: 8/10
      • Chocolate peanut butter: 8/10
      • Orange Dreamsicle: 7/10
      • Snickerdoodle: 8/10
      • Strawberry: 6/10

June 27, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Quality Ingredients
      • Great Macros
      • Non GMO
      • Increased Hydration
      • TRAACS Electrolytes And Minerals
      • Only Available Online

Another great product from VMI Sports, Protolyte sets a new standard in protein supplementation.

Thank you to VMI Sports and the SR Troops program for giving me the opportunity to test and review this product.
      I chose to review this supplement because of the interesting ingredient profile, as well as the high quality processing used in production. I have also had great experiences with VMI Sports products in the past, and hoped to see that trend continue.

25g of cold pressed non-gmo whey protein isolate

500mg of magnesium bisglycinate chelate
      300mg of calcium bisglycinate chelate
      183mg of potassium glycinate complex
      8mg of chromium nicotinate glycinate chelate
      175mg of calcium
      166mg of potassium
      40mg of sodium

Breaking this down, cold processed whey retains more nutrients and is easier for the body to digest. Protolyte delivers 25g of whey isolate in a 29.6g scoop, making each scoop approximately 85% protein. You also receive just over a gram (1372mg) of electrolytes, a unique addition to this protein which helps to aid in muscle recovery and endurance. With the added electrolytes, each scoop breaks down to about 89% active ingredients. This means Protolyte contains very little fillers or additives. Also listed in the ingredients is an undisclosed enzyme blend which is included to aid in digestion and prevent gastrointestinal issues sometimes caused by protein consumption.

Taste:
      VMI Sports offers a wide variety of flavors for this product, including many unique and uncommon flavors, so you're sure to find one that you will love. I requested and was provided with the snickerdoodle flavor. I chose this flavor because it was a good opportunity to sample something different, and because it is a flavor I have not seen other companies produce. While it may not be my first choice in future purchases, I definitely enjoyed the flavor throughout my run of this product. It had just the right combination of cinnamon and sweetness, and tasted more like a dessert than a supplement. One thing worth noting, this is the first protein I have used that tasted better when mixed with water than milk. I found that mixing with milk resulted in a lighter, weaker flavor.

Mixability:
      No mixability issues to report. The product blended well in both milk and water with just a few hard shakes from my shaker cup. No left over powder or residue at the end.

Dosing:
      One scoop in 8-10oz of milk or water. As stated above, I generally used water as I found it provided a better flavor.

Protolyte did what I expect my protein to do, but the added electrolytes made a clear difference in my recovery. Throughout my run of this product, I felt a noticeable reduction in DOMS and felt a slight difference in hydration. The reason I rated this product so highly for effectiveness is less about the protein supplementation and more about the overall benefits of this product. Protein supplements have become very common place, and even the worst ones can still stimulate muscle growth and aid in recovery. But with Protolyte, you get a much more complete package:

cold processed, non-gmo protein isolate for very pure, high quality, easily digested protein;
      electrolytes for hydration and endurance
      enzymes to aid in digestion and prevent gastrointestinal issues.

All packaged with 0g of fat and less than one gram of carbohydrates in 105 calories, making Protolyte an effective supplement that wont disrupt the rest of your daily macros. The top shelf quality ingredients, awesome flavor variety, and unique ingredient profile put Protolyte well above the competition.

This may be the one factor that prevents Protolyte from becoming one of the top protein supplements on the market. The lowest price I could find for a 25 serving container of Protolyte was $34.99, which puts this product at about a $1.40 per serving. While this is a bit on the steeper side for protein powder, the price tag is a necessary evil for the higher quality ingredients and processing in Protolyte. While I personally feel as though the price is justified, others may not agree.

Side Effects

No negative side effects were experienced throughout the use of this product.

Conclusion

Once again I find myself congratulating VMI Sports on another job well done. Their commitment to providing quality products to their consumers is top notch, and Protolyte is no exception.
      • Snickerdoodle: 8/10

9.6
        June 24, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Quality Ingredients
      • Great Variety
      • Great Flavors
      • Feel Full
      • Affordable
      • Great Macros
      • Multiple Sizes
      • Slightly Higher End Price Tag

All I have to say is WOW. I think VMI has ruined protein for me for the rest of my life, because if I cannot get my hands on ProtoLyte then everything else is going to feel inferior.

While you should always want to get your protein from whole food sources, sometimes you need to through in a protein powder to either meet your Macro's or just to get enough protein throughout the day. This is where VMI is stealing the spotlight. They have given us a protein powder that not only delivers in giving clean protein, but they are also giving you the added benefit of electrolytes. I really want to thank VMI for letting me experience and run a tub of ProtoLyte.

In true fashion VMI gives us a fully disclosed label for our protein enjoyment:

Calories-105
      Fat<1g
      Carbs 1g
      Protein 24g

Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate (TRAACS) 500mg
      Calcium Bisglycinate Chelate (TRAACS) 300mg
      Potassium Glycinate Complex (Albion) 183mg
      Chromium Nicotinate Glycinate Chelate (TRAACS) 8mg

With ingredients being Non-GMO Cold Pressed Whey Protein Isolate, peanut flour, cocoa powder, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Sucralose, and Enzyme Blend.

While this is not every single thing listed on the nutrition panel, it highlights the important factors that we focus on in regards to a protein powder.

I really enjoyed this because of the fact that it has a very low amount of carbs in it, while still delivering 24g of protein and 0g of sugar all while only costing you 105 calories out of your daily total. To me, this is the best of all worlds when it comes to an ingredients profile.

Outside of all of that, the fact that they have added in electrolytes is a huge plus. with the more protein that your body intakes, the more your body needs fluid to use it. If you use up all of your fluid, it can lead to dehydration, and if you are continuing to use protein, then you could become a dehydrated mess fast. With the addition of electrolytes, it can help your body maintain that crucial balance.

I requested and received the Chocolate Peanut butter flavor and it was an absolute home run. The best way I can describe this is to take 1 scoop of ON chocolate protein powder and mix it with a serving of PB2FIT and boom you have this flavor, except VMI delivers a much richer flavor profile. Even when mixed with water and yogurt, the flavor was absolutely fantastic.

Mixability was effortless. This protein mixed very well, every single time. As I mentioned, I would mix it in with a serving of greek yogurt and there were no issues there. Some powders will get super clumpy when I do this, but not this one, it mixed in like a champ.

Dosing was 1 scoop 29.6g per 10oz of milk or water.

So when rating the effectiveness, it is usually difficult with a protein powder, but this one made it easy. I would consume this as a post cardio shake since it was light on carbs and had electrolytes in it, and I found it to be a superb product for this. When I say post cardio, I am referring to unit PT where running 3 miles is a short workout, so you can see that hydration can become a factor in this area. With sweat going out, your electrolytes are going out as well, and then if you consumer protein on top of that, dehydration can creep in, but by drinking this, it helped keep me full, feel recovered, and most importantly not feel superly dehydrated from a run and consuming calories.

On other days where cardio wasn't such a big deal, I would come home and mix it with some greek yogurt as a cool, yet satisfying dinner treat. Again, the electrolytes, low carbs, and protein content made this a solid meal that I looked forward to having. It was so good, it really felt like a cheat meal, rather than just getting calories and protein in for the day.

Outside of all of this, it did help me feel better recovered from whatever I was doing, which tells me that it was an effective product and that the protein that was provided was properly used by my body for muscle repair.

So, if there was ever a weak link for this product, it would be the price. Don't get me wrong, it is nothing astronomical as we have seen with some proteins on here, but still, the cheapest I could find this was $38 for 25 servings on campusprotein.com This comes out to be $1.52 a serving. Since running this product VMI has since created a 70 serving tub but right now I can only find it on their site for $80 which will drop the price to $1.14 per serving. I would pay that for the bigger tub, and honestly, I would pay the price for the smaller tub but then again that is just me.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is a great tasting, great digesting, low sugar, fat, and carb protein powder that delivers clean WPI and electrolytes. What more could you ask for? VMI did a great job with this, and to me, they have personally raised the standard on what a Whey protein should be. They practically have a flavor for all tastes out there, so there is something for everyone. Me personally, I think I have found my ON Gold Standard Whey replacement, and do not see myself going back anytime soon. As I have previously said VMI has ruined the protein game for me, because nothing will ever be the same after trying the best.
      • Chocolate peanut butter: 10/10

June 23, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Quality Ingredients
      • Tastes Great
      • Mixes Perfectly
      • Better Recovery
      • May Be Pricey To Some

Protolyte is a superb protein product that will also provide the additional benefits of electrolyte replenishment and BCAAs supplemented recovery. In addition, it provides these benefits and extras without the added artificial ingredients nonsense

First off, an apology to VMI for the delay in this review as it is a few days overdue. Second, per usual, a special thanks to VMI for their continued support here on SR.com. Today, I discuss my experiences with their whey protein isolate Protolyte. We bros love our brotein. Truthfully, protein is probably the most frequently used supplement staple in many regimens. As the basic building block of biological tissue such as muscle tissue, supplementing with protein can help ensure improved muscle recovery and anabolic support to help us reach our goals. It can also aid in dietary goals such as losing or gaining weight depending on your fitness objectives. In short, protein supplements are very versatile and can be used in plenty of applications. There are more protein supplements that one could count on today's market, so it pays to research. From my experience, VMI has delivered with the handful of products that I've used from them, so I was more than eager to try out Protolyte after a great experience with Major Mass.

First, each serving size will provide a total of 105 calories. Furthermore, each scoop contains less than a gram of total fat, 1g of carbs, and 0g of sugar.

Moving on to the more core an feature ingredients, each scoop provides 24g of whey protein isolate. The source of isolate in protolyte is non-gmi and cold processed. This makes the source of protein from Protolyte the cleanest and more bioavailable in nutrients.

Continuing we the find the feature extras of Protolyte in the form of electrolytes, glutamine, and BCAAs. The electrolytes include magnesium bisglycinate chelate at 500mg, calcium bisglycinate chelate at 300mg, potassium glycinate complex at 183mg, an chromium nicotinate glycinate chelate at 8mg. These forms of electrolytes are particularly favored as they are more bioavailable and can be absorbed more efficiently. The extras also include a total of 5.2g of BCAAs and 4g of glutamine for enhanced recovery support.

Lastly Protolyte contains no aspartame, lactose, or gluten.

As one can clearly see, this is definitely a clean, high quality protein product that can be used by any athlete regardless of goals. Though, given the low calorie, carb, and sugar amount, one could argue this is more suitable for those looking to cut fat or recomp.

I received vanilla peanut butter and it was nothing short of delicious. I used water and milk (skim, 1%, or almond) when preparing my shakes with Protolyte. It tasted great in water, but in milk, the flavor was a guilty treat level of good.

It mixed completely and thoroughly in any liquid with any preparation method.

I used Protolyte post workout since I figured the added aminos and electrolytes would do best for my recovery and hydration replenishment. I took one scoop about 30-40 minutes post workout with either water or milk if available. On non-training days, I took one scoop and prepared a morning shake with almond, some fruit, and oats.

I don't want to sound repetitive, but as I said in several past protein product reviews, I grade efficacy on recovery and how it supported my dietary macro quotes.

The high quality protein and the added BCAAs and glutamine helped very well in getting my recovery into high gear. I was much less sore after workouts and didn't experience significant DOMS or "hangover" lethargy the following mornings. This allowed me to continuously go into each planned workout with more energy and endurance.

Combined with great taste, and a subsequent dose of protein and extras, I found this to be a highly effective and convenient way to maintain macro intake. Of course, while I was still getting the main bulk of my nutrients from food, Protolyte helped keep my body in an anabolic favoring environment without adding any unnecessary sugars, fats, or carbs. Furthermore, the electrolytes helped me maintain adequate hydration levels to help avoid and reduce occasional minor muscle cramps I would get in rare instances post workout.

The cheapest price for a standard 1.63 lbs tub containing 25 servings I was able to find was on AllStarHealth for 35 dollars. However, on VMI's direct website, a larger tub containing 70 servings is currently available for 80 dollars.

When comparing these options, in my opinion, the smaller tub is cheaper and more value efficient option. While the larger tub provides more than double the servings, a price of 80- dollars is too steep for my taste. Truthfully, I still find the 35 dollar price a bit pricey as well. Protolyte is highly effective and of superb quality. Also, the extras truly do have a profound additional set of benefits. However, one would definitely want to look out for price deals, coupons, and BOGO options should they ever be offered.

Still, I think Protolyte is worth the investment even for a try.

Side Effects

Conclusion

VMI hit a homerun in the protein supplement market with Protolyte. The high quality protein isolate source combined with the additional benefits of electrolytes, BCAAs, glutamine, being free of unnecessary additives, and having a favorable profile free of excess carbs, sugar, and fats make Protolyte an ideal choice for supporting recovery and hydration. Just be sure you're doing some stringent shopping and keep a lookout for deals when possible due to the price tag.

Oh, and it taste great too.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO RED SOX!!!
      • Vanilla Peanut Butter: 10/10

June 19, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Tastes Great
      • Non GMO
      • TRAACS Electrolytes And Minerals
      • Increased Hydration
      • Quality Ingredients
      • Affordable
      • Enzyme Blend

A unique whey protein isolate product that goes beyond just that by adding electrolytes to enhance hydration for maximum recovery.

I want to thank VMI Sports for this opportunity.

After trying their Major Mass, I thought it was fair to try their protein.

This is a whey protein isolate product. No blend. Just 24g of whey protein isolate.

There are 105 calories total coming from the 24g protein, 1g carbohydrate, and little to no fat.

- Whey Protein Isolate - digests and absorbs quickly while also providing a rapid rise in amino acid levels. An isolate is between a concentrate and hydrolysate.

*The ingredients below are added to enhance recovery through hydration. I think that's pretty smart, super beneficial, and unique.

Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate (TRAACS) - 500mg

Calcium Bisglycinate Chelate (TRAACS) - 300mg

Potassium Glycinate Complex (Albion) - 183mg

Chromium Nicotinate Glycinate Chelate (TRAACS) - 8mg

*The non GMO cold processed really makes a difference if you think about it. Non GMO means the milk used to make this protein came from cows that were fed properly. They were eating what they should naturally be eating to produce the most optimal milk possible. When cows consume corn and ect, the amino acid content and structure changes. There are over 5g of quality BCAA's in here because of that simple difference. The cold processed means that this protein was exposed to less heat and nutrient stripping. Making this a little more beneficial than how protein is usually processed. I will say this, some like how isolates lack fat, but fat is very important. And a cold processed concentrate with fat will deliver healthy omega fatty acids. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying.

Overall, this is a well developed protein that goes beyond protein synthesis. They start straight with the cows health to make sure this product is most effective. The enzyme blend is a blessing as well to help digest everything.

Taste - I chose Vanilla Peanut Butter. I would chose Chocolate, but I already was using Major Mass in Chocolate. Vanilla Peanut Butter just sounded good. And it was. Check this out though. I rarely mixed it with cold water or milk. I had fun with this. I always put protein in my oatmeal, but this time was different. The water at the end tasted like chai tea. It was bomb. Ever since that I mixed it in hot water. Hot water has numerous of health benefits. I'm glad this happened as I found a very healthy tasting hot beverage.

Mixability - it mixed just fine in whatever solvent used. I used hot water mostly and it dissolved no problem.

Dosing - I had fun with this one. I did one scoop in hot water in the morning and that felt really good. I usually do around 2-3 scoops a day, but I had Major Mass for awhile at the same time. Either way, this lasted 25 servings.

It does what a protein needs to do. The fact that it tastes great and mixes easily makes it work better for me as I look forward to drinking it.

Does it help me recover better than other protein? I'm sure over a good period of time I would sense a difference, but during the time on this my recovery wasn't out of the ordinary. This helped me with my recovery process by providing me protein. It kept me on track. Maintained protein synthesis. Helped build muscle. Become less fatigued.

I do appreciate the uniqueness and added benefits. Those are great moral and ethical practices. Overall, 10/10 because this did what it was suppose to do.

I see it for $40 on Tiger Fitness in a couple flavors. On the website is $50. This is a unique product, so it's tough to compare. But, NutraBio does a cold press isolate as well with around the same protein content and price tag. NutraBio has a little more servings and overall powder, but this has added electrolytes for hydration from registered sources. I feel this is a fair price, especially for the non GMO. I haven't searched to compare other products, but I'd be happy to pay this price.

Side Effects

Nothing at all. No headaches. No stomach issues. No diarrhea. All good. The enzyme blend helps a lot.

Conclusion

This did what it was suppose to do. It acts more than a protein product by adding electrolytes for hydration to enhance recovery. Overall, I do recommend trying this product if you are looking for something different to help with your goals.
        • Vanilla Peanut Butter: 10/10

June 19, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Tastes Great
        • Mixes Perfectly
        • Quality Ingredients
        • TRAACS Electrolytes And Minerals
        • Great Macros
        • Non GMO
        • One Size Option

Why I Chose This Supplement

Been using whey and other protein supplements for a long time. This one seemed to emphasize quality of product over price point.

Thank you to VMI Sports for sending out a tub of their Protolyte Whey Protein isolate for review and thank you to the SR Troop program for the endless opportunities to give honest feedback on products. There is no shortage of protein powders on the market these days. Much of what is out there is junk. So when I see something where the idea is quality over price I'm all ears.

So one of the first things I always look at when looking at a protein supplement is the GMP seal of approval on the container. Without being manufactured in a GMP regulated facility they can pretty much say whatever they want. Check that box for Protolyte.

Next thing I immediately look at is the manufacturing process listed for the whey protein. Ideally you want cold processed micro or ultra filtered. I have gone into detail in forum posts about the cheaper methods and why to avoid them. First ingredient listed is Non GMO Cold Processed Whey. Exactly what you want to see if quality is your goal.

In addition to using higher quality protein there is also the addition of electrolytes to aide in hydration if using as a post workout meal and the addition of digestive enzymes. Even with a higher quality whey I always like seeing the addition of digestive enzymes.

As far as macro breakdown is concerned you have the following in a 29.6g scoop.

105 Calories
        1g Fat
        1g Carbs
        25g Protein

This may vary by flavor. I had the Vanilla Peanut Butter and this is what my breakdown is for this flavor.

So I was given some sample packets of additional flavors but sent a full tub of the Vanilla Peanut Butter. Taste was good mixed with water but fantastic mixed in some unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Wasn't overly sweet and a really good natural peanut butter flavor.

Mixing was great as well. Not much effort required to ensure that there were no clumps and no issues with excessive foaming either. For the small samples I tried of other flavors I have rated them as well. All of them were mixed with almond milk and not water FYI. (It is what I use 99% of the time anyway)

Given that there is no real quantifiable effect of a protein supplement other than the absence of side effects it would be difficult to gauge how "effective" this product or any other protein supplement really is to be honest. That being said I had absolutely zero issue with any gas, bloating or discomfort from Protolyte.

So you are looking at about $35 per 1.6 pound tub which contains 25 servings. This comes out to about $1.40 per serving. Are there cheaper proteins out there. Of course there are. But most quality proteins that emphasize better process and ingredients tend to fall in this range or even slightly higher. You shouldn't be having protein shakes that frequently but rather striving to get adequate nutrition from whole foods. So realistically a tub should last you a month or more if you focus more on whole food like I do. This product would not be a huge addition to your grocery bill if you use it as intended to fill in nutritional gaps and for when time doesn't exist to prepare a meal.

I hope that this product picks up and becomes more widely available to the masses. There aren't a lot of retailers carrying this product at the moment. One drawback unfortunately.

Side Effects

No negative side effects.

Conclusion

You get what you pay for in life. If you want a cheap amino spiked, denatured protein then you can find them everywhere for far cheaper. But you should definitely think twice about what you put in your body and consider buying a higher quality whey protein.
        • Orange Dreamsicle: 7/10
        • Vanilla Peanut Butter: 8/10
        • Snickerdoodle: 7/10
        • Strawberry: 6/10

Overall
        Overall
        9.3
          June 10, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Quality Ingredients
        • Non GMO
        • Great Macros
        • Increased Hydration
        • TRAACS Electrolytes And Minerals
        • May Be Pricey To Some

VMI's Protolyte is everything you'd want in a whey isolate. It mixes well, is a non-GMO pure isolate, uses cold processing and filtration (i.e. not ion-exchange), tastes great in multiple flavors, lacks artificial dyes, contains a digestive enzyme blend and TRAACS chelate-bonded electrolytes for improved hydration, and doesn't have any fillers. What more could you want? Only the extremely picky among us can find fault with this product.

I was in the market for a good fruity whey protein to use in my smoothies (chocolate just doesn't quite cut it) and I saw VMI's Protolyte pop up on SR TROOPS. Given the satisfaction I have had with other VMI products, I figured this would be a good product to sample. I was 100% right.

I'm not one for handing out extremely high ratings unless it is especially warranted but the more I look at this profile, the harder it is to not give it high marks. In one 29.6 gram scoop there are 100 calories derived from 24 grams of protein, 1 gram of carbs, and about a gram of minerals and electrolytes. There is no sugar nor fat and this is not due to the common but inferior ion-exchange processing. From a pure macro-nutritional view, it does not get much better than this. The next place I would typically go to find fault is coloring, but VMI uses natural food additives for dyes. In the strawberry flavor I received, there is beet root powder added to give it that red/pink color. I have no problem whatsoever with natural dyes - only artificial ones. On that note, the only artificial ingredients here are sweeteners like sucralose and whatever else is included under the term "artificial flavors." Some may want a 100% natural product, and there are products out there for that niche market, but a little artificial sweetener is fine with me considering I have no problem downing a Coke Zero and that's definitely worse. The only other additives are xanthan gum, TRAACS minerals, and digestive enzymes. The latter two ingredients are nice additions to any protein supplement. TRAACS minerals help promote proper hydration and digestive enzymes help users get the most from their protein. Xanthan gum, on the other hand, is a common thickening agent that is likely included here to improve mouthfeel and keep the product gluten-free. I personally don't mind that but I know some purists may. In short, this profile is about as good as it gets unless you're looking to go 100% natural.

I received the strawberry flavor along with sample packets of every other flavor. The strawberry flavor was absolutely delicious and spot on. It wasn't too sweet or artificial. It tasted great on its own with just water (cold and room-temp) as well as in a mixed berry smoothie. The mixability was perfect both on its own in a shaker cup and in a blender as part of a smoothie. I dosed this at 1-2 scoops in smoothies, usually in the morning for breakfast, and at 1 scoop on its own or with creatine post-workout. Furthermore, as a protein supplement, it could be taken whenever you want/need more protein and occasionally I would throw this in a smoothie at night.

As a protein supplement, the best way to gauge effectiveness are to evaluate: 1) if it helped me meet my protein requirements for the day 2) caused/exacerbated any digestive issues 3) tasted good enough that meeting #1 wasn't a chore and 4) didn't cause a noticeable regression in recovery when switching from my current protein supplement.

1) Packing only 100 calories but a stellar 24 grams of protein made this easy to fit into my diet. In fact, easy doesn't really do it justice. I would throw a scoop in my morning breakfast smoothie with two servings of mixed frozen berries and find that my breakfast was under 300 calories! Since I'm cutting a bit that was perfect for me. However, even if I was eating a bit more this would be perfect as it would free me up to actually eat (and enjoy) more food to get those extra calories in. Conversely, if I ever found myself approaching my daily caloric limits without meeting my protein goals this was a sure-fire way to fix any ratio imbalances. I could always afford an extra 100 calories, especially when it is basically pure protein.

2) Given that this is an isolate, I didn't expect many issues. Thankfully, I didn't experience any regardless of whether I drank it straight or in a smoothie. I didn't even notice that this had digestive enzymes added until writing this review but those must have helped too. I never felt stomach discomfort nor did I get any cramps. Also, it is worth noting that I didn't get much protein related gas, if any at all. Solid digestion.

3) As I mentioned in the section above, this tasted great in every way I tried it so drinking it to meet my protein goals was more of a luxury than a chore.

4) I had been using MyProtein's chocolate brownie flavored whey (I still have a few pounds to go through) and I was experiencing average recovery (i.e. what one would expect from meeting protein requirements). When I started using Protolyte, I didn't notice a difference at all. In fact, my recovery improved, but I also started taking a host of different supplements that likely contributed more to that than a mere change in protein powder. Still, as long as recovery didn't regress, I consider it a good protein.

Value is perhaps the only place where Protolyte falls a bit short. VMI just released a 70 serving container, but only a few flavors come in this larger size and strawberry unfortunately is not one of them. VMI sells a 30 serving container for $49.99 which also retails for $39.99 on Amazon Prime (AllStar Health has it for $34.99 but also charges $5.95 for S&H so Amazon is cheaper in the end). That factors out to $1.67/serving and $1.33/serving from VMI and Amazon respectively. The 70 serving container is only found directly from VMI at the moment and retails for $89.99 which factors out to $1.29/serving. Now, given that this is a pure isolate with an impressively clean profile and proper processing, this is not a terrible price. It will be even better if/when retailers stock the 70 serving containers if the $10 discount trend present amongst the 30 serving containers continues with the larger serving containers. It is also worth noting that VMI offers a 20% military discount and has included 20% off coupon codes in my TROOPS boxes so they may also do that for direct orders, making all further orders 20% cheaper but since that's not a certain thing I can't in fairness consider that in the rating. Additionally, there are approximately 4 retailers aside from VMI stocking Protolyte in select flavors at the moment. I would like to see this in stock at many more retailers and a slightly better price point. It is an isolate, and a good one at that, so I would expect to pay over $1/serving but it is a little high at the moment. For reference, I consider a 10/10 value to be a $1/serving price point (even if its a larger, bulk container like the 70 serving one) with widespread availability. At $1.33/serving from a reliable retailer like Amazon, this is somewhere around a 9/10 in absolute value but the limited availability drops it down a point.

Side Effects

I experienced no side effects while taking VMI's Protolyte.

Conclusion

9.3/10
        I get a 9.3/10 rating from averaging the Ingredient Profile, Taste/Mixability/Dosing, Effectiveness, and Value ratings since I feel that all of these sections are important in a protein powder (especially taste and mixability). This gave a 9.5/10 rating which I then reduced by .25 to 9.25 to account for extra weight that I feel value holds in selecting a protein powder. I then rounded up by .05 to 9.3 to account for the amazing taste. I think a 9.25/10 rating is an apt numerical representation of this product; it is almost perfect but it needs a little work (in value and availability) to truly be the best. I would highly recommend anyone looking for a new clean protein give this a try - in fact I have already recommended this to one of my best friends.
        • Strawberry: 10/10

June 7, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Quality Ingredients
        • Non GMO
        • Increased Hydration
        • TRAACS Electrolytes And Minerals
        • Better Recovery
        • Mixes Perfectly
        • Pricey
        • Desired Flavor May Effect Price

Protolyte is an innovative WPI product that also includes added electrolytes for added hydration--pretty cool.

First and foremost, thanks to VMI Sports for supporting the SR TROOP Program and allowing me to review their product. VMI's ProtoLyte is 100% whey protein isolate. I know, I know...everybody and their brother has a WPI, but ProtoLyte adds TRAACS Electrolytes And Minerals to keep you hydrated while you sweat up a storm in the gym.

ProtoLyte has only a few ingredients:
        Non GMO cold pressed Whey Protein Isolate (25 grams)
        Natural flavors
        Xanathan gum (for texture)
        Sucralose
        Digestive enzyme blend (undisclosed)
        Although WPIs are usually virtually free of lactose, I like the addition of the digestive enzymes to pretty much wipe out any chances gastric problems that can sometimes be associated with protein powders.

Each 29 gram scoop yields 25 grams of protein (for the strawberry flavor), giving ProtoLyte a protein pecentage of 86.2, which is slightly aboove the 83-85% norm in this category.

Taste-- I received requested and received the strawberry flavor. In water, it tasted great, in almond milk, it was freaking amazing! The flavor was very clean and light, not too sweet. This was perhaps the best representation of strawberry flavor that I've ever tasted in a protein powder.
        Mixability Mixing was no problem. I just added a scoop to about 8 ounces of water or almond milk in a blender bottle, and shook it for about 20 seconds. No clumps.
        Dosing Per the label, it is recommended that you consume 1-2 scoops, either post workout, or in place of any meal during the day. I usually took 2 scoops post workout.

It's hard to gauge a protein's effectiveness; protein always has helped me with recovery, but taking this after a workout would be similar to drinking a Gatorade, albeit a great tasting, high quality protein Gatorade. I couldn't actually "feel" my muscles being hydrated per se, but in a nutshell, it allowed me to replenish electrolytes lost through sweating, much like Gatorade, but with 25-50 grams of protein (depending on the number of scoops) and minus the sugar.

The lowest price I could find for ProtoLyte was All Star Health, which sells it for $34.99, and there are limited flavor choices. All Star Health also charges a flat $5.95 shipping rate. If you want to choose from all the available flavors, VMI Sports' website is the only choice. There, Protolyte goes for $49.99 For a 2 pound 25 serving tub. Shipping is an additional $7.99. They do offer a 20% military discount, but it's still kinda pricey. VMI also sells a 70 serving tub for $89.99. Pricey, but ProtoLyte is a unique, high quality, great tasting protein.

Side Effects

Conclusion

A protein with added minerals and electrolytes for improved hydration is truly unique, and I wonder if other brands are going to follow suit. ProtoLyte tastes amazing; good enough to take it every day and not get tired of the flavor. It may appear pricey upon first glance, but the same size tubs of, say, IsoFlex (Allmax) is in the same ballpark. I highly recommend this protein.
        • Strawberry: 9/10