(Better than 95% in Pre-Workout > Stimulant)

Total War is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Redcon1. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

August 4, 2018

• No Creatine
  • Chemical Taste
  • Spotty Pumps

So I went out and bought Redcon 1's Total war pre-workout after I received the Redcon 1 Big noise (review already posted) through the SR troops program, I had read they were the best when used together so I figured I would try that to see what it was like. So I got the Total war before the Big Noise, so I tried it on its own first but besides the chemical taste it had, the pre-workout was not a total waste.

Alright so before I get started I always like to add that I am not at all a nutritionist or have any degree of sorts to back up scientifically what I say in this review. I only go off my experience gathered from lifting and what I can read from scholarly articles to bodybuilding articles. So I heard a lot of buzz surrounding the Redcon 1 supplements, and I wanted to know if they lived up to the hype. I put in to receive the Big Noise and wanted the Total War to stack with it and get a full experience. I tried the Total War on its own first and the first thing that hit me was this smoke that puffed up as I scooped the powder which kind of chokes you up and it happens every time. Next was the taste, which I will dive more into in the taste section however it was not the most pleasant taste. however, after you make it through chugging it which I would suggest because dry scooping it is guaranteed that you will cough then you get to the working side of the pre-workout. In my opinion, the working side is solid on its own it is a solid mid-level pre-workout with a low price point which gives it a decent value. You get effective energy from it without a crash, you have increased work ethic and focus during your workouts and you get a decent pump boost from it. It is not a knockout pre-workout like some of the higher end pre's that I enjoy but for a lower budget point, it gets the job done. The biggest thing it lacked for me to be an all around pre was the creatine aspect however not everyone likes creatine so to some this could be a positive. Now I wanted to try it with Big Noise, the pumps with Total War were not mind blowing so I thought Big Noise would aid in pushing them to that level. It did not work like that Big Noise did not boost it and Total War does not really boost Big Noise. The pumps stayed the same really for me with or without the Big Noise added. So, in my opinion, I would save the money and only buy one, not both.

To start off the Ingredient profile, which looks pretty solid, is 6 grams of Citrulline Malate. This is dosed at a 2:1 ratio which is a normal ratio for this ingredient. This ingredient can often cause some stomach issues, however, I never encountered any. This ingredient is aimed at increasing nitric oxide production and filters out lactic acid in a way. Obviously, that will aid in the pump aspect and increase your muscular endurance. Next, there are 3.2 grams of Beta-Alanine this is a staple ingredient in pre-workouts, it increases performance, strength and can increase endurance. The 3.2 grams is a full clinical dose which is nice, and for sure helps out with the long workouts. Following that is 1 gram of Agmatine sulfate which also increases the nitric oxide levels, aka improving vasodilation/"pump". After that is 1 gram of Taurine, this improves blood flow, so that helps with pumps it is also known for aiding in focus and being very useful when paired with caffeine. Not sure if 1 gram is an adequate dosing but I assume it is better than nothing. Then there are 250 milligrams of Caffeine with 100 milligrams of Di-Caffeine Malate, these are the key ingredients for most people when taking pre-workout. These ingredients provide the energy, alertness, and focus. This is dosed at a good level, it gives you the boost you need without going over the top. following that is an ingredient that is a new ingredient for pre-workouts which is the 150 milligrams of Ampiberry (Juniperus Communis). This ingredient is something I have realized I like in my pre-workouts, it is aimed at being an energy booster when paired with caffeine and it helps expel water and boost fat loss. Then there are 50 milligrams of Theobromine, this is something I had not heard of however it is a cocoa extract that is ideally a smoother and longer lasting caffeine. After that is 25 milligrams of Naringin, this is an ingredient that increases how much of the other ingredients you can absorb and use. then finally is 10 milligrams of Bioperine which also increases the absorption.
As I said before the ingredients profile is extremely solid.

Taste- The pineapple juice taste was terrible and almost impossible for me to get down, I looked forward to the effects of the pre-workout but I dreaded drinking it. It had a strong sour and chemical taste and made me feel as if I was drinking a cleaner. I'm not sure if all the flavors are this bad, if I could discover a good flavor I would really like this pre.

Mixability- Mixed fine, never had any problems with that.

Dosing- Seems to be dosed great, especially after reviewing the ingredient profile, the pre-workout did good at boosting all aspects and 1 scoop was a good amount.

Effectiveness was pretty good, it provided enough energy, focus, and clarity. The energy was not overwhelming at any point and it lasted long enough to get through a long workout (2 hours) without crashing. The pump was good, which was the biggest problem with pairing Total War with Big Noise, Big Noise is aimed at the pump aspect however Total war already does a fine job at that so the Big Noise seems to not do much. Total war for sure boosted the amount of weight I was lifting however it is hard to tell if that's attributed to the energy boost or other ingredients. So as a whole Total war gets the job done and boosts your workout and gives you a boost to kill that workout.

The average value you can find is around 30 dollars to 25 dollars depending on sales and what not. The pre-workout is effective and at 30 servings that is not a bad value, however, the terrible taste took down my view of the value.

Side Effects

No side effects to report.

Conclusion

Overall, the pre-workout is a good product, and if it was offered in a good flavor or even unflavored this pre-workout would be one of my favorites. The ingredients are dosed well, they work properly and they give you what a pre should. This pre-workout just tanked for me because of the flavor, and with something, you want to take almost every day to get the provided results the flavor is key. I am debating trying another flavor to see if there are better options. Therefore for me, Total war is not a total waste.
  • Pineapple Juice: 2/10

Other Prices:
A1Supplements   $39.99
Muscle and Strength   $39.99
Ill Pump You Up   $39.99

Overall
Overall
9.2
  June 8, 2018

• Bigger Pump
  • Nice Colors
  • Nice Name

A hardcore, hard hitting, and well balanced pre-workout that nearly demands you to be the hardest worker in the room.

Redcon1 has done something this past year that many supplement companies won't ever find success in doing. First, they rid of the original DMHA formula for Total War, completely transitioning to a friendlier and more simple formula. Following that, they blew their market wide open by placing their products on the shelves of The Vitamin Shoppe. Finding Redcon1 stamped all over your local supplement store might be a new sight to you, but it's a clear threat to the rest of the supplement industry. Total War is pretty much what the title suggests it might be, this was crafted for the hardcore who enter the gym ready to work. While being slightly under the big dogs in terms of stimulants, Total War brings you something that many brands can't, and that's balance. I didn't have to dig through the supplement cabinet for my stimulant free pump formula to mix with it, or load up on any focus products to make sure my head stays in the game. Total War had me covered from the second I stepped foot in the gym until my last rep. How does it do that exactly? Let's break down the blend.

Gram for gram, Total War doesn't waste a bit of it's 10 ingredient profile on junk. Topping the list is Citrulline Malate at a perfectly dosed 6g almost guaranteeing you those skin peeling pumps and a muscular endurance increase which is very easily noticeable. I've noticed most brands underdosing their Citrulline, typically placing 3-4g per serving and trying to make up for that by throwing some low dose NO booster into the mix just to increase their ingredient profile, but Total War wants the proven ingredients to do their job and do them damn well. Following up that Citrulline is a 3.2g dosing of Beta-Alanine as well as a 1g dose of Beet Root Extract, which is becoming more common. Beet Root has been slowly making it's way into the sports supplement industry after becoming a very popular "add on" to the common health & wellness smoothie. Known for it's antioxidant properties and it's studies showing to help improve nitric oxide levels, it wasn't to my surprise to find this tossed in the mix. Complimenting the Beta Alanine for muscular endurance, it took me a few weeks with the product to really notice the few extra reps I was able to force out with weight I sort of plateua'd with before. To say directly that was because of the Beet Root Extract would be wrong, but the 250mg of Caffeine combined with the 150mg of Ampiberry & 100mg of Di-Caffeine Malate, might have played a role in that. This is where all of my talk about balance comes in, most highly stimulated pre-workouts, to me at least, have to be combated with a pump product. Companies feel the need to jack their caffeine levels up past RDA and people love it. They leave the gym feeling like a champion ready to take on the day, but what was accomplished? I want to be woken up and ready to work, but I also want to be ready to pump as much blood and as many nutrients as I can into my muscle, and too many stimulants can prevent that by restricting blood flow. Total War delivers on energy, but without sacrificing many other factors that contribute towards achieving your goals.

Rounding off the end of our list is Cocoabuterol at 50mg, a cocoa extract mainly used for it's thermogenic effects. If you're like me though and always start your training in a hoodie, Total War will make sure it comes off sooner rather than later. Naringin falls just under that at 25mg. You might know Naringin through a few of it's other names, such as citrus bioflavonoid or quite simply, grapefruit. Researched to help with muscle recovery, it's mostly found to help the body heal tissue after the damage a grueling workout causes them. To end off our list is Bioperine at double it's clinically researched dose, 10g. Bioperine is just here to make sure your body is going to absorb everything to the fullest, a little safety net to assure you that each ingredient can get where it has to and work just like it's supposed to.

I had a choice between Sour Gummy Bear & Strawberry Kiwi, and like any other sane human being, I chose Sour Gummy Bear. The taste did not disappoint, as I found myself wincing a tiny bit from the sour bite I got towards the end of my sip, perfectly complimenting the smooth flavor profile. I don't know how many people do this already, but I recommend letting the product settle a little bit after mixing. A few times I found myself ending the drink with a hefty amount of foam, making emptying the bottle for my intra-workout a little more complicated than I'd like it to be. The 4-6 ounces Redcon1 recommends you fix a full one scoop serving in was perfect, never leaving any powder behind or any weird floaties to freak me out mid swallow. It mixes perfectly and tastes amazing.

I train first thing in the morning, about a half hour after consuming some complex carbohydrates through dried oats. I've learned to sip on this during my drive to the gym, as it kicks in relatively fast. I find myself feeling the beginning stages about 12 minutes after I finish it, and about ten minutes later it's kicked in full force. That initial hit left me relatively fast but it's the smooth energy and focus which surprised me the most, lingering around the entire 90 minute average of my workout. Unlike most pre's, this doesn't leave me passed out on my bed from a vicious crash, I can continue on with my day and feel perfectly fine.

You're going to pay for quality, and at an average price of $40, this isn't the cheapest for those looking to save a little more in the piggy bank. I've had a good number of pre-workout products which work nearly as good for less, but none that covers all the bullet points quite like this. I keep talking about the balance, and that's what keeps bringing me back. Unless you want to spend another $30 on a well blended pump formula to throw into your stim loaded pre-workout, Total War keeps you covered in all aspects for a little over a dollar per serving. I expect more sales though as the brand grows into their place at your local supplement store, so just keep an eye out.

Side Effects

No side effects noticed after taking Total War.

Conclusion

Unless you have a thing for camo, there isn't much about Total War on the surface to separate itself from all of it's competitors. It's not until you really get that focus, energy, and pump blend mid way through your training that really shows what Total War is made of. This isn't built for everybody though, and for people looking to train hardcore and get a little bit of assistance, it's a damn near perfect pre-workout product. I recommend ditching all of your other pre-workout supplements and letting this product show you how well it can deliver on all levels.
    • Sour Gummy Bear: 9/10

• Bigger Pump
    • Tons Of Promotionssales
    • Solid Ingredient Profile

QUICK SUMMARY

Intense energy, high endurance, moderate focus, adequate strength, visible increased vascularity, bigger pump, different kind of flavor, solid ingredient profile although a bit confusing because there are apparently 2 different versions without DMHA out there, no bathroom trips.

INTRODUCTION

Thanks to Redcon1 for participating in the SR TROOP program and SupplementReviews for making the connection possible. I train from Monday to Friday, rest during weekends. During my time using Redcon1 Total War, I was training under a different perspective. I switched to a weight/fat loss objective which made me decide to just do 1 muscle per day + cardio. For example: Monday - Chest + Cardio / Tuesday - Shoulders, Traps + Cardio / Wednesday - Legs + Back / Thursday - Triceps + Cardio / Friday - Biceps + Cardio. So it was more about muscle preservation, gains preservation and training with enough intensity to lose fat/weight and not muscle. So the way I'll judge Total War will be a bit different from the way I judge other preworkouts.

But anyways, considering nobody cares about this, let's advance...

INGREDIENT PROFILE

6g of Citrulline DL-Malate 2:1: It's a combination between Citrulline and Malic Acid. Good job on the ratio (2:1) and good job on your source of Citrulline Malate because it only sent me to the bathroom once or twice and it was my fault because my pre-workout meal was too close to my workout. SR has a very brief description of this ingredient saying: "Combination of Citrulline and Malic Acid that increases Nitric Oxide production in the body and buffers lactic acid in the body resulting in greater vasodilation and endurance." For more benefits of Citrulline Malate and general information, read here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/citrulline-malate

3.2g of Beta-Alanine for increased performance, strength, delay fatigue, train for longer time, etc. For more benefits and how it works, read here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/beta-alanine 3.2g it's the full clinical dose used in studies so good job.

1g of Agmatine Sulfate to increase the levels of nitric oxide. 1g is a good dose. I usually respond well to this ingredient so I like its inclusion. For more information on Benefits and how it works, read here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/agmatine-sulfate

1g Taurine: Improves blood flow which can help with Pumps and Nutrient Repartition. It also has benefits on Focus, helps to balance some of the side effects from Caffeine and other stimulants. For more benefits and how it works, read here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/taurine 1g is a good dose, not the highest but it's now low nor underdosed.

250mg of Caffeine Anhydrous and 100mg of Di-Caffeine Malate for energy, alertness, focus, mood, etc. This is an excellent combination of quick energy + sustained release energy. I usually haven't liked Di-Caffeine Malate because I could not notice it working so much in other preworkouts. But I think it was because other preworkouts had more Caffeine Anhydrous so noticing the effects of Di-Caffeine Malate was more difficult. Atleast that's what I think for now because that's what Total War made me feel.

200mg of Eria Jarensis extract: It's a stimulant. Increases good mood, increases levels of dopamine and noradrenaline, increases focus, concentration, etc. More info here: https://massivejoes.com/articles/supplements-simplified/eria-jarensis-extract

100mg of Theobromine: "Cocoa extract that exhibits a stimulant-like effect similar to caffeine, but much smoother and longer-lasting." https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/theobromine Good to see it here. They also added 50mg of "Theobroma Cacao extract (seed)".

25mg of Naringin. An interesting idea. I found this: "Naringin is most commonly used in the nutrition industry to increase uptake of supplements such as caffeine for added performance. It works by interfering with the activity of enzymes in the intestines and thus the breakdown of nutrients and supplements, which leads to higher levels of these compounds in the body." There's a lot more info if you want to read more about this ingredient here: http://empowerednutrition.com/supplement-database/naringin/ I would have liked atleast a 50mg dose.

10mg Bioperine: Increases the absorption of ingredients that are "glucuronidated". From Examine: "A process in the liver called glucuronidation, which attaches a molecule (glucuronide) to drugs to signal for their urinary excretion, is inhibited with piperine. This process prevents excessive levels of drugs and supplements in the body, but sometimes inhibits all uptake and renders some supplements useless. In the scenario of piperine ingestion, excretion of supplements is hindered and certain drugs and supplements can bypass this regulatory stage (as not all are subject to it)." Source: https://examine.com/supplements/black-pepper/

5mg Yohimbine HCL: From SupplementReviews: "Active metabolite of Yohimbe plant that stimulates lipolysis, suppresses appetite, and exerts stimulant-like effects on the body. Yohimbine is a constituent of yohimbe and is the main active component contained within yohimbe." More info on how it works, doses, other uses, etc, read here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/yohimbine-hcl I'm a fan of preworkouts having Yohimbine HCL. I don't know if it's a coincidence but all preworkouts I've tried with this ingredient, have worked great for me and Total War wasn't an exception. The amount seems to be low but good enough to work together with the other stimulants. I'm fine with this dose.

Overall, a solid ingredient profile with some known effective ingredients and other interesting ingredients.

TASTE/MIXABILITY/DOSING

*I received Sour Gummy Bear. Not as tasty as gummy bears but it's alright, different from the typical fruit punch. They always say to drink it with 4-6oz of water but I think that suggestion is too low, I like strong flavors but 4-6oz will make the flavor too strong, so I used 8oz, sometimes 10, sometimes 12, depends on your taste preference. Ohh and no dyes, forgot to mention that, good job there.

*Mixability was great. No problems here. I don't know if you will have problems if you follow the 4-6oz of water though. Like previous versions, moisture will affect the powder so before using Total War, make sure it's closed and shake the bottle for 5-10 seconds to try and keep the powder's consistency. That moisture won't make the powder clump though.

*Dosing: 1 scoop 30 minutes before workout.

THE OBJECTIVE/CLAIMS

From the product: "When it's time to go to battle, you go hard with total war. Experience a workout with intensity you didn't think was possible. New found strength and energy is just minutes away. Lock-in and get ready to bring the noise."

EFFECTIVENESS

The Pump and Vascularity were excellent, better than my previous pre-workout. Vascularity was more visible, I did reduce my body fat though so maybe that helped more too. Pump was decent, to be honest, I wasn't expecting so much Pump because my carbs amount was reduced but it was better than what I expected. 9/10

Energy and Endurance were the best part of Total War. I always had more than enough Energy to finish my workouts. I was also able to easily do combined exercises. So you will be able to train with a high intensity, shorter rest times between sets, do more reps, etc.

Focus wasn't the best but I blame it more on me. It helped a lot on mood and confidence though.

I usually judge Strength too but my workouts this time were not based on Strength. Considering my calories were reduced, I didn't want to spend a lot of calories on Strength workouts, I was more interested in maintaining muscle. I did some strength workouts here and there and Total War passed the test.

So overall, the objective/claims posted above were met.

VALUE

This pre-workout without any promo, discount, special offer, etc will most likely be $39.99. The thing is Redcon1 always has some kind of promo, discount, special offer running so if you're planning to try Total War, check several websites before to get the best price possible. I think that based on the high effectiveness, it's worth it. You can even sometimes get it on BOGO. Right now, there are offers giving you Total War for $30 so the Value can be more than an 8.

SIDE EFFECTS

I was happy this didn't cause bathroom trips. Only happened once or twice but it was my fault, not the product's fault.

SUGGESTIONS FOR THE COMPANY

1. I would suggest changing the "4-6oz" amount of liquid suggested to "8-10"oz. Several flavors I've tried with only 4-6oz are too strong. (And I like strong flavors but it was too strong with 4-6oz)
      • Sour Gummy Bear: 7/10

June 4, 2018

• Pumps Were Lacking

My review of REDCON 1's new version of their stimulant pre workout TOTAL WAR. I did review the original version and was excited to see what changes they made. I really enjoyed the original formula.

I am a 27 year old fireman from Ohio. My main fitness goals are to maintain a solid shape for my job and to build quality muscles / strength.

To start this is a proprietary blend free label so thats awesome already. The new version removed DMHA and Eria Jarenesis which are mood elevating stimulant that is starting to get banned in certain areas. Seems like they wanted to get ahead of the game and that is smart. The label starts off with 6g of L-Citrulline Malate which improves pumps and blood flow. Next up is 3.2g of Beta alanine which improves overall performance and gives you the pins and needles feeling. Following that we have Agmatine Sulfate at 1g which is also used to increase pumps and vascularity. Next up is 1g of Taurine which is used for a boost in hydration and muscle fullness. After that is 250mg of caffeine for energy. Following that is Di-Caffeine Malate at 100mg which is a form of caffeine that is easier on the stomach. Next is 150mg of Ampiberry which boosts the caffeine in this product to get a better effect. After that is 50mg of Cocoteanol which is actually a blend of tea and cocoa which gives you a stimulant effect. Next is Naringing 98% at 25mg which is a anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. And to finish it off they add 10mg of Bioperene to aid in nutrient absorption. I really like this new label. It kept many good ingredients and switched out for some new interesting ones.

The taste I recieved was Blue Lemonade. It reminded me of the blue lemonade kool aid packs I used to drink as a kid. It was a good and refreshing flavor. It was not too sweet but still sweet enough to curb my sweet tooth. It mixed up almost perfectly each time in a shaker bottle. I usually had some minor residue left at the bottom but it was minimal. The dosing seemed spot on with it being a one scoop serving size and each scoop being 12.9g. The scoop size was average for preworkouts.

This is the best part about this product. The old formula was very effective and this one is just the same if not better! I always took this about 15-30 minutes before heading to the gym. Within 15-20 minutes I could feel the beta alanine kicking in and tingling me. At about 20-25 minutes in I feel the steady rush of energy kicking in. The energy built up until I arrived at the gym and lasted throughout my lifts. I never experienced any crash and at no point was the energy overwhelming. It was spot on for me. The pumps I experienced were decent to good. Nothing spectacular but they were there. It definitely gave me the energy and motivation to get through some extra sets and lifts which was good.

The cheapest I was able to find this product was for $22.40 on walmarts website. That is an incredible price considering its also listed as free shipping. It does not state whether or not it is new or old formula though. Each tub contains 30 servings. At that price each serving breaks down to about .75 cents per serving. I don't know how long that will be available for but if your interested I would jump on that asap.

Side Effects

I experienced no negative side effects while using this product.

Conclusion

Overall I give a couple of thumbs up to REDCON 1. They took an already great preworkout, switched it up a bit, and made it just as awesome! I really enjoyed using this product and I can definitely see myself using this again. I recommend this to anyone looking for a solid, tasty, and effective preworkout. Thanks again REDCON1 and I look forward to trying more from you guys soon!
      • Blue Lemonade: 7/10

Overall
      Overall
      9.3
      9.4
      9.2
        May 24, 2018

• Crazy Pumps
      • Endurance Boost

Redcon1 managed to take their highly successful pre-workout and make it even better after a reformulation they were pressed to make with the crackdown down on DMHA.

Those who have read my review of the previous version of Total War (with DMHA) know that I was highly impressed and considered it to be in the top tier of workouts. When I found out that it was being reformulated, I was sure a decline was coming with the new version. Turns out I was way of and was pleasantly surprised to find out that this version was even better than the last.

9.5/10

The new Total War is about 50/50 in terms of ingredients being carried over from the old version. The Citrulline and Agmatine remain the same with 6g and 1g respectively. Bioperine also remains the same at 10mg, as does Beta-Alanine at 3.2g and caffeine and Taurine at 250mg and 1g each.

The obvious exclusion is the controversial DMHA, and they removed the Yohimbine as well. The key ingredients added to this were 150mg of AMPiberry and 100mg of Infinergy (extended release caffeine). I think this was a pretty fair trade off in terms of replacing the DMHA while (theoretically) still helping with focus and energy.

7.5/10

I had the Strawberry Kiwi flavor and it was a bit improvement over the gummy candy flavor I had prior. A little gritty after first mixing, but nothing a few more shakes couldn't take care of. I'd say it's about middle of the road in terms of taste. Certainly not the best, but not as bad as others.

9.4/10

Pumps: Enormous pumps every single time. I'm talking the kind that last well after your workout and make it hard to even drive home from the gym because everything just feels so engorged. It's really not a surprise to me considering Citrulline and Agmatine are my favorites and I've always responded very well to these for the most part.

Energy: Almost immediate and hard hitting. About 10-15 minutes after taking, I felt wide awake no matter how draining the day at work was and ready to hit the gym. However, it still wasn't the part that stood out the most. That would have to go to...

Focus: Razor sharp and intense. To me, beside the pump, what makes a pre-workout truly amazing is if it helps you become absolutely locked in to a primary task, and that's what the combination of ingredients in Total War did for me.

Endurance: I would say that Total War definitely helped me grind out an extra rep or two that I normally wouldn't get on my own. Not a ton, but the extra reps add up after a while.

9.2/10

$40 directly through the Redcon1 website, which you can also take 10% off of by using the coupon code "PRICEPLOW". $37 for 30 servings of an elite, one scoop pre-workout is a steal in my book.

Side Effects

Overall

9.3/10

A truly elite pre-workout that is undoubtedly worth your attention. I'd advise anyone looking for the top tier pre-workouts to at least give this a test one time.
        • Strawberry Kiwi: 7/10

May 8, 2018

• Tons Of Promotionssales
        • Pumps Were Lacking
        • No Creatine

Total War is a good all around creatine-free pre workout, with solid energy and focus.

I would like to start by thanking the Troop program and Redcon1 for the opportunity to review Total War. Total War appears to be a preworkout that is intended to check off all the requirements of a good all purpose preworkout. It comes in a variety of fun flavors and Redcon1 is almost always running some form of a promotion that will allow you to buy the preworkout at a reduced price.

Total War really has a little bit for everyone. I'm going to break down the supplement facts into groups that I consider to be pump, focus/energy, and endurance. There are tons of novel patented ingredients in this product, so don't fear that Redcon1 is skimping out. You will notice that this preworkout does not include creatine. I would prefer to have some form of creatine in my preworkout, but I don't believe it is necessary. Furthermore, I know creatine in preworkout can upset some people's stomachs.

Pump: 6g of L-citrulline DL-malate 2:1. This is a clinical dose, and in my opinion is one of the best pump-inducing ingredients. 1g Agmatine Sulfate, which is a whopping dose and another great pump ingredient. 1g Taurine, which is supposed to help hydrate the muscles.

Focus/Energy: AMPiBerry, cocoteanol, caffeine anhydrous, infinergy, and naringin. Total War has numerous novel focus ingredients that I don't totally understand, but as you will see from my "Effectiveness" section I believe that these ingredients got the job done. The few that I am familiar with are caffeine anhydrous and infinergy. I found that the combination of these ingredients gave me laser focus and clean no-jitters energy throughout my workouts.

Endurance: 3.2g beta alanine. Clinical dose, so very happy here.

There is also 10mg of bioperine to help with absorption.

I received the Tiger's blood flavor...and to be honest, I wasn't really a fan. It had hints of coconut and maybe pineapple? I don't even really know how to explain the flavor, but I didn't like it.

The mixability of Total War was good. I would throw a scoop into 6-8oz of water and just slosh it around in my cup. There weren't really any sinkers or floaters.

I dosed this at 1 scoop 15-30 minutes preworkout. I wouldn't dare go higher than 1 scoop given the large amounts of stimulants.

I found Total War to be extremely effective as far as energy and focus goes. Within probably 10-15 minutes of taking it I had tunnel vision focus and a nice increase in energy. I never felt jittery either, which is a huge plus.

I didn't have the best pumps with Total War, which is surprising given how awesome the pump ingredients look on paper. I wasn't very vascular either. The pumps were just so-so.

My endurance was great. Along with the increased focus and energy, I felt like I could go hours in the gym. I never had a crash either.

Total War is typically around $40/30 scoops anywhere you look, but it is almost always on sale. I find that Muscle and Strength often runs great promotions like buy-one-get-one's and so does Redcon1. I wouldn't probably pay $40 for this, but I would certainly buy it when it is on sale or there is a promotion (pretty much always).

Side Effects

Did I mention that this product gave me solid energy and focus? Yea well it also is really long lasting energy. You won't have any crash, but I don't recommend taking this after 5pm.

Conclusion

Total War is a solid preworkout with lots of interesting flavors and great promotions. The ingredient profile looks great on paper and makes Total War to appear to be an all around preworkout. It is one of the best preworkouts as far as energy and focus go, but the pumps are lacking. Catch this preworkout when it is on sale or there is a promotion running and you likely won't be disappointed.
        • Tiger's Blood: 3/10

April 26, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Crazy Pumps
        • Tunnel Vision
        • Endurance Boost
        • Taste Gets Bland After A While

What is going on guys? Hope everyone is having a great day because I have a pre-workout review for you today. Let me address the overlap with Pre historic and Steel Pump. I used 2 servings of this product during the overlap with Steel pump and I have only used 1 serving of Pre historic during this trial run. Even though there appears to be a large overlap with Pre Historic that review will be coming very late (my apologies for my own stupidity) because I have only used one serving of the product. Just wanted to say that to clear up any confusion and reiterate that I've used this product in its entirety! Let's dive right in shall we!

Some of the highlights:

6g of Citrulline Malate: A clinical dose of straight PUMPS! This will improve your vascularity and help you achieve that skin shredding pump that makes you feel like a beast walking around the gym.

3.2g of Beta Alanine: Another clinical dose. This one is all about endurance and getting the most out of every rep/set. Beta-alanine can lengthen the duration of your workouts and help you get the most out of them by cramming extra reps at the end of a long workout. This,in turn, can help you produce more gains!

1g of Agmatine Sulfate: A great partner to Citrulline malate, this will add to your pumps and boost nitric oxide levels

1g of Taurine: May help aid in fat metabolism and aid in muscle contraction. On its own, 1g may be a little low

250mg of Caffeine Anhydrous: Usually a good slap in the face, especially to people that are sensitive to stims. This is where your 'energy rush' would most likely come from

200mg Eric Jarensis Extract: Many people are touting it as 'the next DMAA/DMHA.' It's an exotic stim that can optimize mood by increasing dopamine and noradrenaline in the body. It is said to also increase focus, alertness, and concentration levels. BUT wait there's more! It can also benefit you with as a fat burner/appetite suppressant.

100mg of Di-Caffeine Malate: if the 250mg of anhydrous wasn't enough for you they've added another 100mg of caffeine here. This is now a heavy stimulant product.

50mg of Yohimbe HCl: Can aid in fat loss/ weight loss

The label is very good just off of looks. A lot of quality ingredients and many of them at clinical doses. There's also a good amount of stimulants to turn even the everyday gym bro into a powerlifting juggernaut (or at least think they're one).

Taste: Sour Gummy Bear was very unique. There was a slightly sour vibe to it but it was quickly followed by a sweet mixture kind of like a sweet tart candy. It was good, however, it was a lot more enjoyable the first half of the tub than the latter half. Rate: 6.5/10 only because the flavor gets old the further into the tub you go.

Mixibility: Perfect mixing every time. I used 8 ounces of water in a classic blender bottle and gave it a good 10-15 second shake.

Dosage: 1 scoop 15 minutes before my first warm up set was my sweet spot with this product.

Pumps: Skin shredding is exactly the phrase I would use. The vascularity would be evident 10-15 mins after consuming and would really pop after your first warm up set. It may be the combination of citrulline malate and agmatine sulfate, but whatever it was it was very effective for me. These tree roots that sprout from your arms made me feel even more vascular than some pump specific pre workouts out there! I also feel like increased vascularity helps play a role in delivering all the nutrients to your muscles at a faster rate. This may not hold any truth to it but at the very least there's a placebo effect for me.

Energy: If you are sensitive to caffeine I would exercise caution when using this product. The hefty amount in this product was more than enough to give me a jumpstart to my workout even if I walked in feeling dead tired. This was a smooth energy as well, as I never 'crashed' later in the day like some energy drinks can make you do.

Endurance: I felt almost indestructible for the duration of workouts. I could keep pushing and pushing myself until I literally had nothing left in the tank. I usually start my workouts with a heavy compound movement or two where i really push myself to move the weight like a powerlifter and then I follow it up with loads of volume and slow muscle tearing reps like a bodybuilder. You can imagine after heavy triples or doubles on bench that four sets of 12 at a moderate weight can seem daunting, BUT this stuff pushed me to not only achieve my planned sets/reps but even in some cases surpass them and squeeze out an extra rep or two at the end. I truly maximized my workouts with this product.

Focus: This was my favorite part of this product. For the first time in a while i felt like i had tunnel vision. I was extremely focused on every rep, set, and exercise I did. I was in that zone where my face pretty much said, 'don't talk to me because I can only see weights and count reps right now.' It was a super cool feeling that aided me in getting the most out of every rep by working harder to perfect form and really make the most out of my time in the gym.

You can get this product on Day1Nutrition's website for $24.99 in the blue raspberry flavor. The other flavors all currently cost more money. That comes out to 83 cents per serving and to me that's a steal for this product. Some of my friends pay $25-$30 for the underdosed c4 original. For what it does and it helps you achieve your results I think this is a GREAT value at this price.

Side Effects

No negatives

Conclusion

This is an upper tier pre workout that I would highly recommend to experienced pre workout users. If you're a newbie you probably want to start out at half a scoop or get your tolerance up.