6.7

(Better than 7% in Pre-Workout > Stimulant)

PRICES (2)
(30 sv) - [$0.83/sv]

Amazon

(30 sv) - [$1.67/sv]

EVLution Nutrition

ENGN is a Pre-Workout manufactured by EVLution Nutrition. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

August 11, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Good
  • Mixes Easily
  • Proprietary Blend Was Used

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)
My name is Jarrod Bright. I am 20 years old and have been lifting weights for coming up on three years now (5'11/170lbs). Not new to supplements but never really payed much attention past "how much protein is in this?" until recently. Found out about this website through doing my own research on supplements and really liked it so i decided to make an account. Wanted to do my first review on this product because i have 3 tubs with three different flavors of it and thought i could have some good insight. My personal fitness goals are to be a leaned out 180 able to hit the coveted 1/2/3/4 lifting stats. Other products that i think i might review are myprotein impact whey and some different protein bars (quest hero, oh yeah! One bars, etc) because these are items that i am familiar with.

This is where ENGN kind of falters for me. While the caffeine is certainly fully dosed, everything else in this ingredient list points to it being a two scooper. Between the Beta-Alanine only being at 1.6 grams and not very much pump agent in this thing you would think that it is a two scooper similar to C4 or muscletech pre-workout. The problem with that is that there is way too much caffeine for this to be a safe two scooper (260mg!).
The other problem i have with this ingredient list is that it contains a proprietary blend which I am not a fan of because I want to know how much is in the pre-workout that i am buying. This pre-workout also does not contain almost any pump agent and absolutely no Taurine.

The taste of the ENGN is pretty top notch with there also being no identifiable issues with mixing. As i said before some of the dosing for me was kind of an issue but the taste really is pretty fantastic (with Furious Grape being the real standout!).

The funny thing about all of the dosing of the pre-workout and the fact that some things might be underdosed it is still one of the better pre-workouts that i have ever used. For me, it is one of the unique products that has me as energized an hour and a half in as i am 20 minutes in (if not more so). This is super important for me as i like to take relatively longer rest times on certain days so my gym sessions end up being a little longer. Because of this fact, ENGN is a mainstay for me on leg day for sure. While i do not think that this pre-workout is for everyone (people who are used to more stim heavy pre-workouts may be turned off) it certainly does the job for me on a consistent basis with even a half scoop doing a fine job for a morning session.

The value is not exceptional if you take the average route of bodybuilding.com or their site (evlnutrition.com) with it coming in at just about $25/30 servings. IF you buy from Amazon you can go to evlnutrition.com/free, put in your order number and get another ENGN for free! AND if you rate the product 5 stars on that page you can get an email from a sales rep offering another free product if you rate it 5/5 on Amazon. SO while i wouldn't depend on this deal time after time, i did manage to get 90 servings for $20 doing this which worked out well for me (broke college student!)

Side Effects

There aren't really any side effects that i would note on this other than what you would expect from just about any stim heavy pre-workout such as restlessness, some possible jitters, energy, etc.

Conclusion

Overall, aside from some glaring dosing issues (pump formula, beta alanine, taurine, etc.) and the inclusion of a proprietary blend i think that ENGN is a pre-workout that would satisfy most gym rats. T With the effects and the good taste that this pre-workout boasts it is absolutely among the top tier in my mind.
  • Furious Grape: 10/10

Other Prices:
EVLution Nutrition   $49.99

August 6, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Good
  • Infinergy
"Got the pre in me going back to back... Going back to back...." - Drake

DISCLAIMER, I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH EVL ANYMORE. WE MUTUALLY PARTED WAYS 5 MONTHS AGO.

Now that I got that off my chest, on to the review.

ENGN. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's like an over-caffeinated version of Amino-energy. It's good, and it's taste is awesome. But It's just not something I used enough pre workout, and If I used it pre, I always mixed in secondary ingredients.

To be honest, the ingredient profile is extremely under dosed, and mediocre. It's main focus is energy, and as i stated above, I always ended up adding creatine, citrulline, or other various products to make this a "complete" pre workout supplement.

Here is something that EVL is very good at. Every product they make, tastes good. A-10, ENGN, everything. They have never had issues with taste.

Blue RAZ (I hate all blue raz) : 8/10
Orange DREAM : 9/10
Fruit Punch (ugh.) : 8.5/10

7.5/10

As i stated above. Extremely mediocre. If you are looking for energy, this will do it. with adequate doses of caffeine and other stimulants, this will def give you an edge, or a boost, perhaps in the gym

This also served extremely well as a pick me up, or a morning supplement on days that I could just not get out of bed. I'm sure I speak for most ENGN users when i say this, but I wish the scoop size was bigger, packed with more ingredients, and transparent. All in all, this isn't a BAD pre, it's just not a great one.

As far as performance goes, this needed citrulline added to it, as well as carbs. I love my carbs. and I always add them to my pre's.

8.0/10

The value on this product is a bright spot. It is not an expensive product whatsoever, and bb.com is always running some sort of special. If you are on a budget, then this is where i could def recommend buying ENGN. However, If money is not an option, then look else where.

For instance, right now its on BOGO. 2 for 29.99. Awesome deal. $15 a tub.

Side Effects

Zero. However, the pump with this product is non-existent alone.

Conclusion

Finally, although i had quite a few harsh words to say, this is not a bad product, just not exactly up to speed with what some pre's are doing now. Most products are now focused on overall performance, while this one is focused on energy.

Thank you for taking the time out of your day for my review,

DanTheMANski, out.

Other Prices:
EVLution Nutrition   $49.99

August 4, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Good
  • Mixes Easily
  • Amazing Focus
  • Caffeine Is Not The Main Ingredient
  • Expensive Especially When Two Scoops May Be Needed
  • No Pumps
ENGN

Thank you EVLution for sending me a tub of ENGN to try. You have been a great participant in the ER and TROOP program! I was interested in trying this due to some of the feedback from other SR members. When the opportunity came back around, I took it.

Taste 9/10

Orange Dream was very pleasant and refreshing. I used it alone the first few times to make sure the taste was good every time and I was happy with it for sure. Then I would mix in other things that I liked to take PWO and it never mixed badly with another taste either. Good job on this flavor for sure! The mixing was also a non-issue. Mixed well every time.

I personally did not notice much in the way of dyes with the Orange.

Profile 8/10

B6 2mg
Folic Acid 800mcg
B12 25mcg
Beta-Al 1600mg

Creatine Complex 2000mg (mono, MagnaPower)

ENGN Mind to Muscle Matrix 2210mg:
Betaine Anhydrous has been shown to increase muscle mass and decrease body fat

L-Tyrosine mood enhancer, stress reliever

Agmatine Sulfate is a Nootropic to help memory and brain function

Caffeine Anhydrous, your basic energy

Infinergy is Caffeine & Malic Acid

Alpha-Glycerolphosphorycholine (aka Alpha-GPC) cognitive enhancer. One a side note, I hope I never have to spell that word again. They should start the spelling bee off with that and just eliminate 98%+ of the kids off the bat. Make it 15 minute show.

Choline Bitartrate is another brain booster that is normally paired with something like Alpha-GPC. Convenient it's in there isn't it?

Pikatropin increased blood flow to the brain and helps with some body functions such as hand eye coordination

Huperzia serrata extract, more memory boost

As you can see from the profile, I don't think you're going to forget anything while you are working out. There are lots of brain function supplements that may or may not be effective doses.

The creatine seems a little low at just 2000mg but most of us have creatine blended in with other things we are taking too, or we just add the right amount in.

I was surprised to see that caffeine was the 4th ingredient in the matrix. I am assuming that the matrix is listed from highest quantity to lowest. That surprised me because many pre-workouts have that listed as the first item because they are so focused on energy. Technically it is the 4th and 5th but that's still good they didn't just load it down with caffeine and hope it tweaks you. I actually give them a +1 for this.

Effectiveness 7.5/10

Like some other reviewers, I found that 1 scoop just didn't do it. I had to go 1.5 on most days but 2 on deadlift and squat days. I just felt I needed that extra boost of energy.

As far as my mood went when I was on this, I did feel more focused and in a "good place" while lifting. I can say that I have had one Pre that made me actually happy while working out (a little loopy to be honest) but this one was just a feel good type feeling.

This did give me that edge to push myself a little more and I could reach down and get some more drive for that last set. Honestly, it felt like the energy was almost hidden in it but my mind was in a state where I could easily go find the energy. I realize how "Harry Potter" that sounds but it's the truth. Strange

Value 7/10

As always, this depends on your needs and what deal you can find. $30 for 30 servings is the going rate. I assume I don't need to do the math to give you a price per serving? At one scoop, that is the normal value of a Pre. However, for me going $1.50-->2.00 a workout can get a little pricey.

Don't worry; there are specials on this all the time. Normally the specials come in B2G1 which would be a nice 90 servings for $60 but maybe you don't want to invest that much into something you're not sure about. I would suggest going with the single serving packs that can be had very reasonable to try it out then before going with the 3 tubs. If you like it, then the 3 for $60 is a sweet deal. You may even be able to mix and match the flavors too?

Overall 7.5/10

I liked this Pre for the different approach it had. They didn't focus on the energy as much which was refreshing. That being said, I'm a caffeine junkie so I like the energy to be pumping out my pores too.

I think there are 6 different flavors of this so if you can find a mix and match deal, you can really change it up a lot. That is pretty nice to not just see the normal 3-4 flavors.

If you are new to the game, are stim sensitive, or just need a break from overly stimulated PreWOs then I would give this a try. I think I may go for the B2G1 deal just to have some in my vault for another day. Thank you EVL, this is a quality product.

July 16, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mixes Easily
  • Reduced Fatigue
  • Expensive Especially When Two Scoops May Be Needed

Hello people. I would like to thank both our trooper program as well as EVL Nutrition for participating in the program. I used this product in a variety of ways. I used between 1 to 3 scoops depending on the day. I also sometimes combined it with EVL BCAA Energy, which gave me the best result. Training that I am using is Body Beast by Beach Body, as well as various cardio endeavors.

Vitamin B6 2mg
Folic Acid 800mcg
Vitamin B12 25mcg
Beta Alanine 1600mg
Creatine Complex 2000mg

Prop blend of 2210mg
Various things, Betaine, Agmatine Sulfate, Caffeine, Pikatropin, Huperzine t name a few. Unfortunately we don't know how much.

If thy would at least list the amount of caffeine that would be helpful. Stim tolerant people are fine, however it would be nice to know for total daily intake. That being said I don't think it is a high amount.

I received the orange dream flavor and found it rather tasty. Nice and mellow for me anyways. It also mixed really well for me in a shaker cup with the super ball in it.
Dosing is another issue all together. Directions say 1scoop 8 ounces of water. I will say at that it is a nice mild boost. I don't think anyone wouldn't be able to use this. You could even use it for cardio. Adding scoops did not really help, even at three it did not crack me out by any mean.

I also combined this with EVL BCAA Energy, (drink one after the other, or at least match the flavors) This combination of 1scoop of each gave me the best workouts for this product. During the cycle I increased my weights, also increased cardio, although I didn't loose any weight.

As stated above, I had a nice consistent run with this. This is not an overly powerful pre workout. However I felt like it did help push me threw the whole workout. I also didn't have any crashes, well other than once or twice but that could of been something else.

Current prices
Tiger Fitness $21.65
lockout $29.99
This I the price for 30 servings. So Value wise its pretty good, except I think most people will double or triple the dose which would make it more expensive. Even I added EVL BCAA to it so the cost per workout turns to average.

Side Effects

No negative side effects. Although when I went to 3 scoops it did mean a trip to the bathroom pre workout. Not terrible and it was controllable so that is ok.

Conclusion

Above is the link to the log that I used this product. Overall I would say it is a nice medium Grade preworkout that anyone should be able to use. If you are stim tolerant and want to be jacked then no, you need to look elsewhere. However if you get it on sale I would give it a try.

6.6
  July 15, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Good
  • Mixes Easily
  • Reduced Fatigue
  • No Pumps
  • Proprietary Blend Was Used
OKay Okay, I'm finally able to get a chance to get this review done! I got ahold of this through the SR Trooper program, and wasn't quite sure what to expect. Nothing much changed in my training or diet, and i actually took a week off of stims before using this. Preworkouts are very user-dependent in my experience, meaning what works awesome for one person might not be too great for another.

EVLution Nutrition ENGN Preworkout; the offering from them, mixed pretty well in a glass and had a nice, opaque, orange tint (i like opaque). I had the Orange Dream, and it was pretty damn good! it reminded me of the old 50-50 bars growing up as a kid. Initially i dosed it at 1 scoop, then 2, eventually settling on a scoop and a half. I took it before leaving my house and driving to the gym, which took about 10 minutes.

PROFILE- 6. I'm not gonna drag this out too much, its got your usual preworkout suspects like niacin, B-12, a creatine blend, and a 2210mg prop blend "Mind to Muscle matrix" which has betaine, tyrosine, agmatine (which i'm starting to think I'm a non-responder), Caffiene, choline bitarate, Pikatropin, etc. I'm not too mad a prop blends these days but i wish they would at least disclose the Caffeine amount!!! All in all, it didnt look to shabby to me.

EFFECTIVENESS- 6ish? This was another tough call for me, but in the end it did its job of perking me up. Just not quite the speedy rush I've been jonesing for, but it would take me from tired to alert. During this run I've been working alot of double shifts for overtime, and that's when it did come through for me and wake my ass up. but when i wasn't tired, it would have the same effect, not any stronger or "amped out". I would think it would be more effective, but it wasn't. I went to 2 scoops and didn't see any noticeable improvement, so i backed down to 1.5 scoops and felt it was fine for me. This is where i would REALLY like to know how much caffeine is in each scoop! I experienced a nice elevated alertness, and locked-in focus, during my workouts. It tapered off pretty nice after a few hours, not crashing me hard. I also noticed more energy after my workouts during cardio, with improved breathing and endurance. This was nice, but tells me the caffeine was dosed low. Now, for the pump aspect, there was none that i noticed! I'm learning that carb-timing before workouts can have an effect on pump, but didnt feel any "skin splitting pumps" at all from this! This is were it lost ground for me, with so many decent options available. I'd place this right below Jack3d Advanced, but above C-4.

SIDE EFFECTS-6. Not much jitters or shakiness, but there was some NOTICEABLE diuretic effect from it! Yeah, I'd have to urinate all the time, for a few hour after taking it! Other then that, not much bad to write about. I didn't experience any insomnia from this.

VALUE-5.5. Average price is 30$ for 30 scoops, right about on the money for industry standard. But i dosed it at 1.5 scoops which brought it down a little. If i found a BOGO deal or fire sale, I'd probably stock up.

OVERALL- 5.5 Like i said, this was a little hard for me to decide, but if i had a pocket full of cash, there's just too many decent options available to us consumers. The preworkout field has become crowded, and very hard to choose one over another. This was a consistent product, just not enough energy to propel it above the rest. The lack of pump was another hurdle in its path. It was ok, just not enough of the goods to elevate it above the pack. I hope you readers get what I'm trying to convey

July 11, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Good
  • Increased Power
  • Good Pumps With High Volume Training
  • Little Too Much On Dyes
  • Proprietary Blend Was Used
Thank you to the TROOP program and our Reps out at Evlution Nutrition I was given a tub of this to run! Also I received some nice swag in the form of a neck cord and rubber bracelet; nice touch! I was happy to try my first product from EVL and pre-workout supplements are a staple in my supplement line up being as most of my workouts are after a 12hr shift. I did cycle off stims for a week prior to starting.

Profile: Whats in the Tub? 6.5 / 10

Per 1 scoop serving (6.3g)

Vitamin B6 2mg
Folic Acid 80mcg
Vitamin B12 25mcg
Beta-Alanine 1600mg
Creatine HCL 750mg
Creatine Monohydrate 750mg

ENGN Proprietary Blend 1990mg
Betaine Nitrate, Caffeine, L-Tyrosine, Choline Bitartrate, Alpha Glycerylphosphorylcholine, PikatropinTM, Hyperzine A

Looks pretty good to me, a little light in some places but it is a prop blend so other than what is listed we have to guess how much of what is in here. I understand that you dont want others to copy you companies, but we want to know what we are ingesting please! If I had full disclosure of exact amounts of ingredients this would be scored higher.

Taste/Mix/Dose: 9 / 10

You remember that music coming down the road on a hot summer day as a kidand instantly you are excited. You take off eager to get to your piggy bank to get the right amount of change, hurrying as fast as you can as to not miss this chance. You rush outside to see the ice cream truck surrounded and you take off in a sprint; you ask nicely for your prize flavor and hand over your money well spent, in return you receive an Orange Dreamcicle!!! OMGSo yeah the flavor in a memory. One of the best tasting pres Ive had to date. I do believe the exact name was orange creamcicle. Mixing was great in a shaker cup, very little grain. As some stated dyes were used but Ive seen worse and they gave me no issues. Dosing is simple at one scoop and water to taste as per most pwos. Overall a pleasure to drink IMO.

Effectiveness: 8 / 10

As most energy supplements you wait for them to kick in; ENGN is no exception to this rule. But after 10-15ish min you feel that Beta tingle, not strong or harsh but it tells you those weights need lifting. I liked 1 scoop at first, then after a bit started using a 1.5 scoop for leg/total body/dead lift days. Towards the end of the run I did go to 2 scoops and did have even more increased energy, focus, and endurance. I did not exceed the 2 scoop dose. I do lighter lifting and high reps so I did get a pump; I also am on D-pol which works well in that area. I know when I took the higher dosing I did not get any more of a pump than before so I come to the conclusion that the D-pol and the high rep range was the factor. Even so a pump in a prework out is an added plus to get to me so it does not take away from my score.

Value/Price: 7.75 /10

The Value of energy in life is high, not matter the implementation of it these days: Gas, electricity, food, and water. Supplementation also comes at a cost to those that wish to out preform their peers; either in cold hard cash or other currency. This is how I grade this score. On my favorite sites the cost of a tub of EVL ENGN is $30 plus shipping makes $35ish. At one scoop this is great value IMO. Even at the 1.5 to 2 scoops the value does not change much. In my area a 20oz. can of energy drink is $2, a 20oz. soda $1.85; I would much rather have this in my body than either of those choices for energy. Compared to a Coffee chain black coffee it is close, if the coffee is made at home then the price is better but without the other benefits in a supplement like a Pre-workout. IMO this has Value at the Price it can be found for, just look for a good price!

Overall: 7.75 / 10

With all the PWOs on the market this is a great option for new and experienced pre-workout users alike IMO. Not overwhelmingly strong, but not weak! Did exactly what I wanted it to do, without sides even when I upd the dose so I was very happy with my run of it. Everybodys body is different so you may react differently to some things so its always subject to you! For the price and value I say give it a try and enjoy the results. I did, and will again. (End review to sound of Ice cream truck music fading in the distance) .

June 26, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Good
  • Infinergy
  • Little Too Much On Dyes
  • No Pumps
  • Expensive Especially When Two Scoops May Be Needed
  • Proprietary Blend Was Used
  • Light Headed

I picked this up from the TROOPER program. Big thank you to Tommy and supplementreviews.com for putting the program together, and also to EVLution Nutrition for putting their money where there mouth is and sending a full tub of ENGN to review. I consider this a risky proposition given the brutal honesty of the members who write quality reviews on this site! Respect given!

Right now I am just doing a maintenance phase for summer. I'm busy and getting in the gym less than normal. My goal is to continue to build strength and size but I'm not doing a specific program or anything involved. During the summer I just like to get in, lift heavy, and have fun. During this run I also used: Multivitamin, Fish Oil, Whey Protein, and Ronnie Colesman's Stacked-N.O (which I will mention again later).

5 at one scoop/7 at 2 scoops
30 scoops at 8.4g/scoop

Main ingredients per scoop:
Beta-Alanine 1.6g
Creatine 2g
Prop blend 2.2g
Betaine, Tyrosine, Agmatine, Caffeine, Infinergy DiCaffeine Malate, Alpha GPC, Choline, Pikatropin, Huperzia.

This breaks down into about 5.85g of active ingredients, about 2.5 grams of flavoring, coloring, etc.

If you've read any of my other reviews you will notice that I, like many others, do not like proprietary blends. They aren't inherently evil, but they make it too easy for companies to make crappy, under-dosed products. This leads me to the next issue. To get a decent dose of ingredients you need to double scoop this product (but this presented issues for me as I will later reveal). I really don't like products where I have to double the serving size to get a decent dose of ingredients. That said, at 2 scoops you do get an effective dose of Beta-Alanine and close enough on the creatine. As for the other ingredients, we will never know! Also, there is a a lot of dye in there. Why oh why include so much dye?!? I don't get it.

The profile is fairly bare boned. With no inclusions like carbs, aminos, or significant pump ingredients I think this falls into the concentrate category of pre workout. It should help you with endurance, energy, and focus. If you do 2 scoops you get an effective dose of Beta-Alanine and close enough on the creatine. As for the other ingredients, we will never know! I think it has a decent amount of caffeine, and I like the addition of the Infinergy. I have had that in other products and I really like the time release effects.

10/10/10
Dosing was easy. I mixed it with 10-12oz of water and drank it about 20-30 min before lifting.

Mixability was fine. No excesive foams, sinker, or floaters.

Taste was my favorite thing about this product! I had Blue Raz and it tasted exactly like sour gummy worms. I frickin love sour gummy worms! It was nice and tart with a sweet finish. It wasn't overly sweet like so many other products out there. There was no nasty after taste. I looked forward to drinking it and enjoyed it every single time!

Honestly the taste was the best thing about this product. The reason it didn't raise the rating is that I do not count taste in the overall rating for pre workouts. The reason being that if they do taste bad you can just mix with a small amount of water and down it. If you can't handle that, then maybe you should not lift weights. I also would never knock a products rating down in this category due to bad taste.

I was frustrated by this product, because for what it is, it looks decent on paper and should have performed alright for me. But it didn't. Looking at the profile I jumped straight to 2 scoops and that first workout had issues. The main issue was I felt really, light headed, spaced out, had difficulty focusing, and was a bit jittery. This is very strange because I'm normally fine with 300-350mg of caffeine and I really didn't think there could be more than that in here (and I still don't). So I backed down to 1 scoop and still had the same effects, but they were tolerable and much less severe. So it must be something besides the caffeine. The thing that mystifies me is that I have had all of the ingredients listed on here in other products and never had any issues. Eventually, I worked my way back up to 2 scoops. Unfortunately, the negative effects increased with increased dosage. The more I took the worse it seemed to get and I never seemed to get used to it. So I was able to run it at 1 heaping scoop eventually but the problem there, obviously, is that everything is under dosed and I didn't really see much benefits other than a little energy.

I ended up using a lot of this tub as an energy drink instead of a pre workout. At one scoop it worked okay instead of a coffee in the morning or as a pick me up. Sometimes though, even at 1 scoop I got a bit of that spaced out jitteriness again. I started using it as a pre again when I got the RCSS Stacked-N.O.. Dropping a scoop of that in with a heaping scoop of ENGN made a serviceable pre workout.

Product Claims:

-Intense Energy
As explained above I had some issues. It definitely provided energy, but not the smooth focused energy I like.

-Maximum Focus
It seemed to do the opposite for me and made me feel spaced out and light headed.

-Amplified Pumps
There were no pumps to be found. Agmatine is the only pump ingredient included and I have to believe it's under dosed. I definitely didn't get any better pump than normal.

-Explosive Power
I didn't notice any better power than normal.

-Endurance
I did get a small boost here from the Beta-Alanine but nothing spectacular.

Perhaps some of these would have been rated better if I had been able to take 2 scoops at every workout.

Side Effects

No side effects other than the light headed, spaciness mentioned above.

Price

I looked around at all the usual places and this goes for about $30 on the regular. Since most everyone who uses supplements would need to double scoop this that's $2/workout. That's a bit on the high side in price, especially for what is essentially a concentrated pre workout. I guess it's not a terrible value if it works well for you. I did see that right now bb.com has it for $30 and BOGO 50% which raises the value considerably, but I am basing my rating and feedback off of the regular price, because there's no guarantee it's going to be on such a special if you want to buy it.

However, my value rating is low because a product that doesn't give me the desired effect has little value, no matter what the price.

Conclusion

Overall, I rated this product so low because it just didn't deliver great workouts for me, and that is the primary reason I take a pre workout. Thanks again to EVLution Nutrition and the TROOPER program for the opportunity.

June 26, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Good
  • Mixes Easily
  • Moderate Energy Boost
  • Good For Cardio
  • Expensive Especially When Two Scoops May Be Needed
  • No Pumps
  • Crashing Effect
After seeing a lot of good reviews and positive feedback for EVLution Nutrition products, I decided I would give ENGN a go when I saw it was up for grabs through the TROOPer program. I had high hopes for this product and was quickly let down once I started taking it. ENGN is a pre-workout with claims of intense energy, maximum focus, amplified pumps and explosive power. I quickly found these claims to be exaggerated for me. ENGN is a mix of a proprietary blend and several ingredients listed and dosed individually. The label and breakout of what each does can be found on EVLs website - http://www.evlnutrition.com/product/engn/
I do not mind the prop blends as much as some others but I feel the amount of caffeine at least needs to be broken out.

Dosage:
The suggested dosage for ENGN is 1 scoop in 8 oz. of cold water 15-30 minutes before training. Simple enough but I quickly found out that 1 scoop did not do it for me. I had seen logs of other TROOPs saying they were dosing at 2 scoops so this is where I started and this is what worked best for me. I also started taking CTD Sports Adrenal Reset when I started ENGN as I was feeling worn down and out by the amount of caffeine I was taking in a day. Even taking Adrenal Reset I found that 1 scoops was the least I could do with for ENGN. I found 1 scoop beneficial for my cardio days as it was just enough to get me through a HIIT session but 1 scoop never worked for pounding the iron. I would usually take it about 15 minutes prior to hitting the gym as I found it started kicking in when I was through with my warmups and getting to my working sets.

Taste:
I received the Orange Dream flavor and it is delicious. It tastes very similar to a Dreamsicle and I never tired of the flavor. Taste usually is not a big deal to me in the PWO category as I am usually slamming them down. I do like to have enough flavor so that I am not tasting the powders and this one did a good job of hiding that mediciney taste that I have noticed in some other PWO that are not flavored as strongly.

Value:
Perusing a few online shops you can find this for $29.99 for a 30 serving container. This is in line with most other PWO on the market and would be a good deal if you can get away with using 1 serving at a time. If you have to use 1 - 2 servings like I did, then it greatly drops the value and I do not feel would be worth the investment.

I will touch on each point that ENGN claims to do:
Intense Energy and Explosive Power big let down here. I lumped these 2 together as I feel they are similar. Even at 2 scoops I felt like I had just drank a 12 oz. cup of coffee. So while it would get my ENGN going, the energy just was not intense and would usually not last. I felt like it wore off about half way through most my workouts which is disappointing because most of my workouts arent longer than 45 minutes. I also felt like I crashed when it wore off. I would always come back to work feeling tired and worn out so I would head straight for the coffee. I like my PWO to get me to the point of borderline jittery and this one got me nowhere near that.
Maximum Focus When I think Maximum Focus, I am thinking in the zone, tunnel vision and this one did not deliver that type of focus and was even hit or miss for me. Some days I would get some good focus out of the product and others I would not. It did give me good focus on the days it was on but they could probably up their dosages for this just a smidge for that maximum focus.
Amplified Pumps Cant say I really noticed anything here. I cant attribute that to the product though as I am not usually paying attention to pump. When I started ENGN, I just switched up what I was doing in the gym to alternating a high rep week with a strength week. Even when doing high rep, I do not always pay attention to the pump. There are times when I am taking some products that have pump ingredients in them that I notice as my muscles feel fuller and tighter; however, I did not ever get to that point with ENGN.

Overall:
I had high hopes for this product but was quickly let down. I just dont feel like it gave me enough to fuel my ENGN. Unfortunately, this is not something that I would spend my money on and would not try again as it just did not deliver for me on its claims.

Overall
Overall
3.5
2.9
  June 11, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Good
  • Mixes Easily
  • No Pumps
  • No Energy Received
  • No Focus
  • No Real Value If It Doesn't Work

I would like to thank the SR Troop program for the opportunity to review EVLution Nutrition's pwo-ENGN.

Pre-workouts are a staple for me, as a result of my early morning workouts at 4:45 am during the week and 7am on Saturdays. I am not a stim tolerant individual, and typically 200mg of caffeine always does the trick. A slap in the face pwo is always nice when training at that time.

This is the first time I have ever tried an EVLution product.

Not going to list the ingredient profile, others that have reviewed this product have covered those bases. Overall, on paper for me, it looked like I should feel the effects in at least 1.25 to 1.50 scoops.

Mixed it in 6 oz of water, it dissolved quite well, with no floaters or straggler pieces at the bottom of my glass.

I had the watermelon flavor and it tasted like a watermelon jolly rancher. Not overally sweet for me.

Started out with 1 scoop and worked my way up to two scoops, always taken on an empty stomach and taken about 20 min before my workout.

The first day I took this I did feel some energy, no real pump. But from each day after that, in which I gradually increased the dose to two scoops, I really didn't feel anything. At best, it felt like I had a cup of coffee. The ironic thing is, I would take two scoops of this, then have coffee and still not feel anything, or get any type of stimmed or anxious feeling.

Typically, I when taking a solid pwo that I can feel, I steer clear of any coffee in the morning, because I get that stimmed out feeling, but with ENGN nothing. I can't even say I felt a beta-alanine tingle either. No real increased energy, focus or pumps, disappointing, to say the least.

You can get this on average for $24.99, for 30 servings, which would be great value for me, if the product had an effect.

Side Effects

No side effects to report

Conclusion

I had very high expectations for this product, as other reviews I have read on those "other" sites, seemed to rant about this product left and right. Not going to give up on the brand altogether, but based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend purchasing this product, especially if you need that extra stim kick to get you going and are stim tolerant.

Overall
Overall
2.5
2.2
2.0
  June 4, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Great
  • Good Ingredients
  • No Pumps
  • No Power
  • Foamy
  • Two Scoop Formula
  • Ineffective
  • No Focus
I was given the opportunity to test and review EVLution Nutrition ENGN Pre-Workout through the SRTroops program here on SupplementReviews.com, which I want to give a BIG Shout Out and THANK YOU to SupplementReviews and EVLution for the chance to review this product! This review is for the FULL 30 Serving product in the Furious Grape flavor, which is one of many they offer. This is not a paid review, but one that I was given the product for free in exchange of submitting a completely honest review. This is the first product from EVLution that I had a chance to review, but not the first Pre-Workout by any means.

Product Image (Image Link): http://goo.gl/78Hm2X

Formula
Seen below in the image, you can see this product starts out listing the ingredients and their amounts and then we get a big Proprietary Blend. For those who aren't aware, Proprietary Blends are ingredients listed in a total mix where the dosages of each are not known. There are many drawbacks to the consumer when the ingredients are given in this way, but one important element you need to know is how effective it is! Below the ingredients are listed as well, which I will be going over.

Supplement Facts (Image Link): http://goo.gl/pzAY3e

Serving Size: 1 Scoop (8.1g)
Servings Per Container: 30
Beta-Alanine (as Carnosyn®) 1,600mg
Creatine Monohydrate 1,250mg
Magnesium Creatine Chelate (Creatine MagnaPower®) 750mg
ENGN® Mind-to-Muscle Matrix Proprietary Blend 2.21g
Betaine Anhydrous, L-Tyrosine, Agmatine Sulfate (as AGmass™), Caffeine Anhydrous, Infinergy™ (DiCaffeine Malate), Alpha-Glycerolphosphorylcholine, Choline Bitartrate, Pikatropin™(picamilon), Huperzia serrata extract, (std. min. 1% Huperzine A)(club moss).

Other Ingredients:
Malic Acid, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Sucralose, Silica, FD&C Red #40, FD&C Blue #1.

EVLution does a good job at breaking down what each ingredient does in the following link: http://goo.gl/9KdSHD

The dosing on the ingredients point to a 2 scoop formula, giving you clinical doses of Beta-Alanine and Creatine abit in different forms. Then we go into the ENGN Mind-to-Muscle Matrix which is all thrown into a big Proprietary Blend, giving you no known amounts of anything contained in it besides the total Blend being 2.21g. We are at a day and age where companies are starting to see that the educated consumers are wanting to see the dosing of the ingredients, and they want the entire Proprietary Blends to be gone but EVLution did not do so here. The next issue is that they do not disclose the Caffeine content, which could be given outside of the Blend but isn't. Being a formula that is meant to be taken on a two scoop basis you are taking unknown amounts of Caffeine, of course the normal consumer should start with 1 scoop and work their way up.

Mixability
I used several different cups/bottles to mix this product including: a mesh screened shaker cup, wire ball shaker cup, and a regular cup with a fork. Each time in all of these cups I mixed 1-4 leveled scoops (8.1g/16.2g/24.3/32.4g) to the 4/6/8/10/12/16/18/20 ounces of water. The mixability of this product was very foamy (I would say it is the Magnesium), in addition to the cloudy blend that would gravitate to the bottom of the cup within a few moments. I am fine with some settling and especially so when Creatine is in the product, as it is actually a GREAT benefit as you don't want your creatine to dissolve completely in the fluid as it converts to creatinine which is useless in our supplementation. The flavoring system used was effective at mixing, as you can see in the images, but the flakes of white (Creatine) and Purple (Unknown) would just sink to the the bottom of the cup/shaker. The directions indicate to mix one level scoop with 8 ounces of cold water, which I went ahead and tried mixing this at varying amounts of water. I feel no amount of water really affected the mixability negatively or positively, but once you pass the 12 ounce mark it would bring the flavor down (base off of 1 scoop). Did this affect the product? Not at all, just give a shake in between drinks or chugs and you will be fine.

Mixability Image Links: http://goo.gl/3XGcMM | http://goo.gl/LwQRI6 | http://goo.gl/ZM3r88 | http://goo.gl/lsovo6

Taste
This is where I felt EVLution succeeded, as the taste of this product was great! I no longer rate a product based on taste, unless it is Beer Faced Awful but I believe you should know the Furious Grape flavor rocked! It was a little tart like drinking grape juice, but it was something I enjoyed drinking. A little grit (chalky, the Creatine) would be found from the bottom of the cup, but if you kept swirling/shaking it in between drinks/sips you wont notice it much.

I used this product in several different ways: upon waking up (with and without food), pre workout (60 minutes and 30 minutes), and intra workout (after warming up and within a few sets through most of the workout). In each of these times: I was in a fasted state between 1-2 hours since eating, and used 1-4 scoops based upon the length of using this product. I did not jump to 4 scoops all at once, I start at 1 and increased it by 1 scoop each workout until I hit 4 (I will explain in the Side Effects).

Effectiveness (2.2/10)
I will start off by answering the potential questions from the rep/others: no I did not take a stim break, my tolerance is not an issue with other Pre-Workout products, and I judged the effectiveness as I would any other product by their claims.

Dosing this product at 1 scoop is not beneficial for anyone even if they are just starting to work out or supplement with Pre-Workouts, and at 2 scoops one should start feeling a good endurance from the ingredients on the label. I felt no increase of energy or focus as advertised while taking 1 scoop, nor did I feel it at 2 scoops. When I decided to take 3 scoops I felt a little effectiveness in endurance but not where I do with other products or what I want from a Pre-Workout, so I went up to the 4 scoop mark.. Yes this is dangerous due to the potential amount of Caffeine, but other than a slight headache man hours later I felt little to nothing more than the 3 scoops. I stopped at 4 scoops because it the Caffeine content is 150-200mg it would put me over 800mg potentially, but I have had that much Caffeine before and it was more effective than 4 scoops of ENGN. I did not have any additional focus while taking this product, nor did I see an increase with my endurance. Being I took a large quantity of scoops you can imagine that this product did not last long, but I don't foresee that it would have started to work better at any point. I feel that it actually hindered my performance, due to using other Pre-Workouts that have more effective ingredients. At this point I am not convinced that this product actually contained the amounts of the ingredients on the label, other than their creatine.

Advertised claims by EVLution Nutrition:

-Intense Energy
I did not see much of an increase in my energy, and not enough of one at 4 scoops.

-Maximum Focus:
I did not experience any focus even at 4 scoops.

-Amplified Pumps:
No pumps.

Explosive Power:
No power or Explosive power.

Side Effects
I did experience a few situations where my stomach was upset, which I believe to be due to the Magnesium being in higher amounts (bound to the Creatine). I did start experiencing headaches 4-5 hours after taking this product, but only once I started taking 3-4 scoops but this is not a surprise being it is not meant to be ran this way.

Value (2.0/10)
Being that in my experience I felt less my level of performance decline and that this product requires multiple servings, I would say that this product is not worth any amount of money. As you can imagine with this product being a two scoop + formula, you are not intended to get the full 30 servings advertised. You will find this product on sale often as BOGO and even then I find the product to not be worth the money. At 2 scoops this product will run you $2 for something that is ineffective, and if you did buy this as a BOGO I would say that it would not be worth the $0.50 per day.

Overall (2.5/10)
I am undoubtedly disappointed in this product, as I found it to be ineffective even at a greater dose than expected.

Bottom Line
If you can't afford anything better, then you should not buy any Pre-Workouts and get some food instead of this product! This is expensive koolaid when it comes down to it, and you might just make your own PWO with it too (the koolaid)!

I want to say thank you again to SupplementReviews.com and EVLution Nutrition for allowing me the opportunity to review their product ENGN. Thank you for reading, and comment below!