Overall Score:   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #38 of 117 (better than 68%) in
Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA

BCAA Energy is a BCAA manufactured by EVLution Nutrition. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.
COMPARE SIMILAR

workoutguru
  July 13, 2016

First off I want to thank Evlution Nutrition for letting me have the chance to try this product. Lately I have really been getting into amino products like this that have caffeine in them. Since I am not a coffee drinker I like to replace this with a product similar to coffee for in the mornings. It's nice to have something like this that can give me some energy like coffee would and get some recovery from it also. When these kind of products first came out I was not big into them because of the caffeine and figure if I would be taking this during my workout it would be to much because of all the extra caffeine I would be getting along with what I was getting from my pre-workout. Now that more companies are starting to come out with products like this I am liking the idea of products like this a lot more so because of the way I am using them which I will explain beloe.

Ingredients:
This is your basic 2:1:1 ratio. I like that there are no prop blends and they list everything they put in here. I really like that they add a few extra things in here besides just aminos. I think the energy part is fairly decent. I think for a product like this it has a pretty solid profile. I would like to see them add some glutamine which I think should be in all amino products because it is great for helping in recovery.

Value:
The cheapest I could find this was on bodybuilding.com for $19.99 and you get 30 servings. For a product like this I don't think that is to bad a price. If you can get by with the normal 2 scoops then I am ok with price. If you have to start upping the servings to get more out of this energy wise then the price will start to drop a little but still won't be to bad.

Taste:
I had asked to try the orange dream flavor and that is what I was sent. I had this flavor awhile back in their pre-workout ENGN and it tasted amazing and thought I would give it another try. WOW was this good. Reminded me of orange serbert or an orange push up pop. It had a very clean crisp taste to it. Not to overly sweet or tart. Probably one of the best tasting orange flavors I have ever had.

Mixing/Dosing.
Had no issues at all with it mixing. You will get no little leftover pieces in your shaker bottle and very little foam if any. The standard dosing for this is 2 scoops. I posted below the label they have on their container which shows how they recommend you dose this. I only did two scoops each time I used this and never did more than that which I could have but did not feel the need to do so. Depending on what kind of energy your looking for will depend on how many scoops you will need. I think two scoops was just right for what I was looking for.

Effective:
Products like this have become my replacement for coffee since I am not a coffee drinker and like having something similar to coffee (instead of regular energy drinks) I can drink in the morning. I like to have something that will give me some energy to help get me going and something that will also help give me some recovery. I would use this normally in the mornings before I would head to work. Some mornings when I would really be dragging and having a hard time getting going this was a nice pick me up to have. On most days when I took this I felt this always gave me some decent energy to help get me going more. I would always feel better and more alert when I drank this. It's not real heavy on stims which is nice but did give me a decent amount of caffeine to help get me going and not make me feel all jittery like. I know on a lot of the days I would take this it really got me sweating a bit. I could always feel my body temp rise a little when I would take this. Also I feel my recovery was always a lot better when I would take this. Some mornings when I would wake up I could feel my body kind of hurt because I was real sore from working out the day before. I think this really helped me aid in my recovery a lot more and helped lesson any DOMs I would get. I also think it helped make me feel better later in the afternoon when I would workout again. I really like the idea of having something like this to help give me some extra energy and extra recovery through out the mornings while I am at work.

This could also be used during your workouts if your not taking a pre-workout and need something to give you a little energy. Also I found that if your looking for something to give you a little pick me up instead of drinking an energy drink this I found to be a good replacement for that. I think you benefit a lot more by something like this because you will get other stuff in here that will help with recovery which will make you feel better. When I do (which is not to often) I will drink an energy drink but a lot of the times I feel worse after drinking them and they usually make me crash real bad which I don't like. With something like this it would make you feel a lot better and do a lot more for you which is nice. I did use this a few times when I did not want to drink an energy drink but still wanted something to give me a little extra energy and some more recovery and it worked great for that.

Side Effects:
Nothing I noticed.

Overall:
I think for an energy based amino product like this it was pretty decent and helped get the job done. If you are not a fan of energy drinks I think this is a great alternative to them and you will benefit a lot more from something like this. I will for sure keep using products like this as long as companies keep making them. Using this as an intra workout product I am not a big fan of unless your not using some kind of pre-workout. With the caffeine in this it would be to much a long with your caffeine your getting from your pre-workout. Usually you can find some pretty good deals on this and I would highly recommend you check this out. Again I want to thank Evlution Nutrition for letting me have the chance to try this great product.
  • No Prop Blend
    • Orange Dream: 9/10
    lava135

July 29, 2015

----Introduction----
    I use BCAA energy type products in two ways - either as a pick me up during the day instead of the more sugar laden retail energy drinks out there, or as the base for my intra formula during a workout. I'll compare this to the more widely known ON Amino Energy.

----Ingredient Profile----
    Both EVL and ON have similiar 2 scoop serving sizing, both around 10g. Kudos to EVL for not using the crappy prop blend approach that ON uses (5g with the first 3 ingredients being taurine, glutamine and arginine, so who knows how much BCAA you actually get). With EVL you get 5g of BCAA in a 2:1:1 ratio, so solid win for EVL on profile.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
    Quite frankly I didn't think anyone could touch ON with their flavoring system but damnit, the EVL orange dream is just about the most freaking delicious orange dream sickle flavor that I've ever had. It mixes totally without residue and stays that way while you drink it. It's another win for EVL.

----Effectiveness----
    I found this to be exactly as I expected with 2 scoops providing me a solid pick me up and focus. It doesn't approach a pwo level of stims but it's the right amount for me to just help get dialed in. It's especially effective when I use a non-stim pwo and need just a touch of caffeine in my intra to give me a little boost. And the flavor, oh the flavor, lol. Seriously, I used this as the base for my Pepto-Pro intra and damn, if I didn't want to drink the whole thing in the first 15 minutes.

Now any of these energy amino drinks can be mixed with more scoops - EVL says up to 6, but that takes you through a tub at warp speed and the per cost serving just makes the value factor insanely low. So I don't see these as smart choices for a pwo. But to keep on hand during the day - it's off the charts effective when compared to a Monster Energy or Red Bull type drink, and that's the other way I used it. It was perfect for an afternoon drink to dial back in the focus at work.

----Value----
    ok, so here's the one area that ON actually wins - right, wrong or indifferent. Sure the EVL is a superior profile, no questions asked, but $36 for 20 servings vs $35 for 65 servings is significant. Really significant. Especially since the energy function is pretty evenly matched between the two. (Although I did come across pricing on BB.com that lists 40 servings for $26.00 - which is more servings for less money on the same product page? This drives me batty!!!) So basically either 20 or 40 servings ranging in price from $26-$36.

But even so, let's not get too tied up in the BCAA quality aspect - if you are looking at the BCAA content, these products are all way too expensive when you compare them to a quality intra like IntraFlight that packs 16g of aminos (8g BCAA) into half the price. So you have to ask if the added energy is actually worth that much increase in price for any of these products. My opinion is no, it's not - you're better off sticking with a non-stim BCAA as an intra and getting the stim from a pwo. However, like I said earlier, if you're comparing it to the cost of a Red Bull, then it's a far better quality choice and a far better value, so with that in mind, I will say that it definitely has a place on my shelf as an anytime type energy drink.

Although, if the 40 servings for $26 is the standard price, then that's .65 per serving which I can absolutely live with. Overall I'll raise my value from 7 to 7.5 on this info, but like I said, these aren't the most value concious products on the market to begin with; definitely more of a commodity.

----Conclusion----
    As I said above, as a pwo it's an outright value loser. As an intra, it's very pricey. As an alternative to energy drinks during the day, it's a winner. Between this an ON Amino Energy, I like this in every category except price - fortunately there seems to be many sales (like buy 2 get 3) that help soften the blow. So if you come across one of these sales, then by all means, pull the trigger - you won't be disappointed.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Effective Energy
    • No Prop Blend
    • Fantastic Taste
    • Great Energy Drink Replacement
    MarHoopstar
      July 28, 2015

----Introduction----

Im a 26 year old male 6'1 195, thin athletic build (Think Basketball player). Army Vet, new daddy to a child under 2, graveyard worker 12am-8am (Security) so I find my situation unique and definitely need to benefit from supps and decent (Not perfect) diet. I've been religiously hitting the gym 3-6 days/week for about 2 years now and am definitely one who struggles to put on mass quickly due to my active lifestyle. My goals are definitely to gain lean muscle (10-15 lbs or so) while maintaining low fat percentage 8-12%.
    This product seemed perfect for me because you adjust the amount of caffeine in each serving by scoop amounts. I usually hit the gym right after work or a 3-4 hour nap so most PWOs are out of the question if I need to be able to sleep before my next shift. I only take PWO on my days off so this supp allows me to have small amounts of caffeine to get me thru my workout without over doing it with 400mg of caffeine. I often look to to others opinions on SR before/after buying so I decided to make my own reviews because I have yet to see anyone in a situation (Night shift, small Child)k like mine.

----Ingredient Profile----
    Label is pretty basic, no popping colors or shiny containers. Like I stated above, I use 2 scoops (110mg caffeine) if i need to be able to sleep before night shift. Days off of work i would take more up to 330mg caffeine. Common 2:1:1 BCAA ratio seems to be the norm, the more scoops the more BCAAs of course so thats good for those who think more is better. Beta Alanine and Green Tea extract is definitely also attractive so you feel like you're getting the most out of your intra

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
    Orange Dream tasted perfect IMO. Similar to a creamsicle but not with any dairy taste most would imagine with this flavor. Mixed all the way through in water with only a few shakes and I usually used 2 scoops in about 14oz water i found was perfect for me.

----Effectiveness----
    Caffeine adjustment with the amount of scoops is definitely gonna affect the effectiveness of this product but this is a perfect medium between a PWO and your usual BCAA supp. Decent recovery, nothing special, some soreness but not completely masked

----Value----
    I Picked this up BOGO and its priced in the $25-30 range so I didnt feel the need to pinch the dose as much as its a 40 serv container when using 2 scoops and for me was all I needed so I must say its just as good as it got

----Side Effects----
    No side effects other than some wake up (Thanks, caffeine). Perfect for those who dont need an extra 300-400mg of caffeine in their day.

----Conclusion----
    I would def. recommend this to anyone who wants to control caffeine amounts with a slight boost, or cycling off PWO but still need SOME caffeine. Also if you plan on taking a nap later in your day. I will most likely buy again
    • OK Value
    Gkeezy
      July 22, 2015

(Thanks to EVLution Nutrition for sending it out!)
    I received this product through SR Troops, and I have always been a fan of anything BCAA. For a long time I was stuck on Modern BCAA but having be able to try something different out I was pretty psyched.

Ingredient: C -

Serving Size 2 Scoops (9.6g)
    Servings Per Container 40

Beta-Alanine (as Carnosyn) 500 mg
    L-Alanine 500 mg
    Taurine 500 mg

Natural Energizers 110mg
    Natural Caffeine (From Coffee Bean), Green Tea Extract, (Standardized for EGCG)(leaf)

Personally to me this product is under-dosed. My first gripe with this product is that its missing Glutamine. I thoroughly believe that glutamine should be a staple with all BCAA as it helps with recovery greatly. Maybe also throw in some electrolyte prop blend to help with recovery and endurance.

Secondly the Caffeine and Green Tea Extract for me should not be a part of any BCAA, because when stacking this with other PWO that have caffeine in it, you get a higher dose than you initially wanted.

I like the added benefits of Taurine and L-Alanine though of this product.

L-Aline supports glucose production for usable energy, endurance and recovery.
    Taurine supports cell hydration, metabolism and mental focus in combination with caffeine.

------------------------------------------------------------

Dosage/Taste: B - The dosage is very simple, 2 scoops during your workout. I used this strictly as an INTRA drink, hoping that it would help with blood flow, endurance, stamina and then eventually recovery for the days to come. The taste was pleasant. Definitely better as you keep diluting it with water. Not as sweet and becomes very pleasant to sip on.

------------------------------------------------------------

Effectiveness: C - Did I notice a mild recovery in my performance, yes I did. Did I notice the lack of DOMS in the following couple of days after a brutal workout, not really. The DOMS were there, they were bad, they hurt, it almost felt good. Most BCAA are made for the purposes of Recovery, and if thats the only issue I am basing this review on, then it really barely delivered in that area.

Energy: B - The energy at 2 scoops was quite nice. Although when I would sip it with my PWO that was high in caffeine there were many times where I felt light headed almost dizzy and wanted to pass out. Maybe on it's on the energy would be good, but we all know, PWO are a staple for most people, so I feel like a BCAA product should just be that a BCAA product.

------------------------------------------------------------

Value: C - Look for about $27 you get 40 servings if you use 1 scoop. But most people will want to up the scoopage 2 even maybe 2.5 scoops to really feel anything worthwhile on this product in terms of recovery and performance. If so the servings drop to half and sometimes even less than that. So is it worth the price tag, def not.

------------------------------------------------------------

Overall: 6.5 - Overall this product gets a solid 6.5 for me. Here is how I break it down. If you are going to use a Stim Free PWO and 2 scoop this product, then who knows maybe it will work wonders for you. However, if you do 2 + scoops of this product with a stimulant based workout, not only will you probably pass out during your workout, but you'll also be throwing your money in the wind. Keep the money in your pocket and eat more meat.
    • Some Under Dosed Ingredients
    • Not Enough Servings
    irondude
      July 19, 2015

----Introduction----
    First of all a big shout out to SR for the Troops program and EVL for participating in it and let us try their products.

BCAA 2:1:1 ratio
    L-leucine 2500 mg
    L-isoleucine 1250 mg
    L-valine 1250 mg

Beta Alanine 500mg
    L alanine 500mg
    Taurine 500mg

Natural Energizers 110mg

As you can see there's nothing special in here, a good dose of BCAA but under dosed
    on the rest of the ingredients. No proprietary blend that's a great move.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
    Taste: I got the chance to try Orange Dream and the taste is awesome, they really got it right with this flavor and the smell... you get addicted smelling the container every day !!!!
    Mixability: Mix well with a shaker, bottle or a spoon. Not residues at the bottom
    Dosing: Here is the problem, 2 scoops to get the minimum seems a lot

----Effectiveness----
    All right I'm going to leave recovery out of the equation since I always include BCAA pre and EAA with HBCD intra. I choose BCAA energy for a mid morning drink and/or mid afternoon pick up most of the time. What I was expecting from this never came that pick up energy that you get from a cup of coffee, for me it was't there. I used two scoops most of the time but when I increased the dose to 4 scoops there was a slight increase in energy but nothing that justify the use of 4 scoops. There was some workouts that I mix this with my HBCD for intra and didn't notice anything special.

----Value----
    The only place at the moment of this review that you can find this product is BB.com @ $26.99. The breakdown will be like this:
    1 serv ( 2 scoops ) $ 0.67 ( 40 servings )
    2 serv ( 4 scoops ) $ 1.34 ( 20 servings )
    3 serv ( 6 scoops ) $ 2.07 ( 13 servings )

----Side Effects----
    Apart from smelling the container, no sides

----Conclusion----
    Overall is not a bad product, a good ratio of BCAA, a great taste ( Orange Dream ) mix with out a problem. The only thing is that if I'm going to buy this I will be paying more for some under dosed ingredients, like 500mg of BA really?!!! amd just 110mg of natural caffeine and green tea. EVL would have nailed if instead of under dosed BA, Taurine would have increase the amount of caffeine or added some choline and huperzine. I think EVL missed the opportunity to set their bcaa product apart from the others.
    • Some Under Dosed Ingredients
    Wis3guy
      July 9, 2015

----Introduction----
    So lets give a hand to the troops program and EVL Nutrition for allowing me to use and log, starting page 11. http://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=31256.0
    this energy bcaa product. I currently am in a loose weight gain strength mode and am doing cardio and the Body Beast Program. Feel free to send questions if you have any. I used this product daily to give an energy boost as well as reduce Doms

----Ingredient Profile----
    Pretty simple and easy profile, basically a 2-1-1 BCAA with some added vitamins and a 110 MG of caffeine. I would like a bigger dose of BCAA's as multiple servings of this could mess up your daily stimulant intake.

Vitamin C 90mg

L-valine 1250 mg

Beta alanine (carnosyn) 500mg
    L-Alanine 500mg
    Taurine 500mg

As you can see it has some under dosed additions that could be taken out or added to.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
    This product mixes great I had no problems in my shaker cup. In fact I was adding creatine and still had to issues. I had the cherry limeade which I found enjoyable. The only bad mix was when I added it to EVL ENGN, the flavors didn't mix. Dosing is easy one scoop one serving, I also got 40 servings out of this which was great. The only issue is if you want more BCAA with no additional caffeine. I used this as a boost to EVL ENGN a couple times as well so you have to keep track of total caffeine.

----Effectiveness----
    The important part, as I was adding extra cardio in, could I maintain my effort or would DOMS kick in and kill me? The answer, I felt it reduced muscle soreness enough to be viable. That being said I also was and am using a good dose of protein powder each day as well.

----Value----
    Currently I found this on bodybuilding.com for $26.99. This is 40 servings so I think a fair deal. As I looked today none of my other go to places has it listed, so availability for me would be bad.

----Side Effects----
    I only had reduced DOMS as a side effect. I know this as the DOMS increased when I came off the EVL Energy.

----Conclusion----
    I would say that I liked my run with this product and I will be purchasing again. I really think it added a little zip to the EVL ENGN pre workout I have. Just don't mix the two together take them separate, or at least match the flavors. Do I think this is the best BCAA supplement out there? No, as I stated I would like to see a higher dosage of BCAA's but it does give you that little pick me up for an afternoon drink, or an additional hit of caffeine pre-workout. Finally I would recommend this product, although it is in an interesting category, as it is a mix of energy and BCAA's, it works as a team, but is under dosed if used as a stand alone in either category of solely added energy, or added BCAA's.
      iSamurai
        June 22, 2015

----Introduction----
      Again, I'd like to start by thanks EVLution Nutrition and the SR TROOP, for allowing me, and others, to review this product. I've tried a couple products similar to BCAA Energy like ON's Amino Energy and USPlabs' AminoLift, and this product pretty much matched the competition.

----Ingredient Profile---- (7.5)
      Beta Alanine (As Carnosyn) 500 mg
      L-Alanine 500 mg
      Taurine 500 mg
      Natural Energizers 110mg

Nothing groundbreaking here, but decent nonetheless. Nothing really to write home about as the profile is pretty simple. I'd like to see the beta alanine a little bit closer to the appropriate amounts, but that's if I'm nitpicking.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing---- (8.0)
      I requested the "Orange Dream" flavor, and it was pretty decent. I didn't think it was too sweet, but quite refreshing. It wasn't the best tasting supplement I've tried, but I still looked forward to it. Tasted somewhat like an orange creamsicle, but not overwhelmingly sweet. No issues with mixing either.

----Effectiveness---- (8.0)
      I mean, with these type of products, I don't expect too much from. I use these primarily as a coffee substitute, especially since the coffee my work offers are the God awful Folgers packets. 1 scoop didn't do much, but 2 was equivalent to a cup of coffee, and provided me enough energy to get me through lunch. I usually used another 2 scoop serving after lunch to power me through the rest of my work day. EVL advertises this as a pre/intra/post product as well, but I never used this for either. Maybe for the stimulant sensitive user is where this product may shine in these areas, but for me, I didn't use BCAA energy for any of these purposes.

----Value---- (7.0)
      You can pick this up around $25-$27 from online retailers which is fairly priced IMO. You also get 40 servings (2 scoop serving size) which allows you to easily adjust depending on your stimulant tolerance. However, you can grab a 30 serving Amino Energy and AminoLift for around $20 which I give their profiles a slight edge over BCAA energy. I guess it all comes down to which brand and the profile you prefer.

----Conclusion/Overall----(7.5)
      Overall, I liked this product very much for what I expected it to do. Decent profile and good taste. If you're looking for a coffee substitute or something to get you through that mid-afternoon work struggle, I'd recommend you giving this product a shot. Thanks again EVL and SR TROOP for allowing me to try this product.