Overall Score:   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #3 of 20 (better than 89%) in
Protein > Weight Gainers

King Mass is a Weight Gainer manufactured by Ronnie Coleman Signature Series. It is a protein based supplement that has additional calories from carbohydrates and fats. It is meant to add additional calories for the body in order to assist with weight and muscle mass gain.
COMPARE SIMILAR

willyb87
  December 10, 2016

----Introduction----
Ronnie never puts his name on junk from my experience, so I tend to try to give his products a chance anytime they come up. I also love trying out new mass gainers from time to time to see how my very sensitive digestive system handles them.

----Ingredient Profile----
I'll go over this based on what scoops I used. At 2 scoops you get a carb to protein ratio of 3:1 (90-30) which is about where I would like to see mass gainers put the ratio. The carbs for this are from Maltodextrin, fructose, and waxy maize, while the protein is a blend of varying absortion rates with WPI, WPC, milk protein and micellar casein. The fats in this are from MCTs and flax oils which I like. I like that they didn't go overboard with just getting those nasty mass calories and packing sugar into this to get you a crazy number. 500 calories for 2 scoops is a good place for me.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
I received the new aint nothing but a peanut butter flavor, and what is there to say about this? It tasted like a nutter butter like someone else mentioned which was a welcomed taste. In my experience so far PB flavors have not been real good to me, not the case here. Mixing was pretty good, its a good chunk of powder so a little shaking is required but nothing too bad and I tried to take my shake post workout.

----Effectiveness----
Even with the high amount of calories I didn't notice much bloat at all, with most other mass gainers I get the most awful gas and pretty often stomach pains during the night that wake me up. While on this I didn't have any pains but I did have some gas issues, which honestly isn't much of an issue to me. I was able to put on a good bit of weight while using this, but I cant say that was all this because it was only 500 of the daily 3k-ish calories I was trying to take in.

----Value----
This can be found on average around $35 which depending on how many scoops you use can be either a good deal or an awful one. I went with 2 scoops which equated to 22 days worth to me it worked out pretty well and I think the price is fair, and would snag it pretty fast if there was a sale

some gas

----Conclusion----
Of all the mass gainers I have used my digestive system seemed to tolerate this one the best. I wont say I put on the weight and size as another one i used previously, but there wasn't THAT much difference there. With the ease it took on my stomach i have to say this is now on the top of my list when/if i buy a mass gainer.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Great
  • Aids Recovery
  • Extensive Profile
  • Some Gas Issues
  • Ain't Nothing But a Peanut Butter: 8/10
Momo1
  October 18, 2016

----Introduction----

What's going on SR family! I want to thank RCSS and the Trooper program for giving me the opportunity to try King Mass. I have never used a weight gainer before, so when I saw an opportunity to run a weight gainer from a reputable company like RCSS, I jumped at the opportunity. Did I dead lift 805 lbs? Hmmm, let us find out

----Ingredient Profile----

The profile to me was impressive to the fact that I was expecting 5000 Russian Polar Bear Calories, instead the max calories on this at 4 scoops is 1000. This contains fast absorbing Whey Isolate, to slow digesting Micellar Casein; it is in a proprietary blend. In addition, King Mass contains MCT oils, from Coconut, which these are the good fats; of course, there are 90 to 180 mg of carbs, pending how many scoops you use.

Taste

OMG, the Peanut Butter flavor was incredible; on a side note, with RCSS release, a jelly flavored KING MASS, I think I will never eat a solid meal again!

Mixing

This was best mixed for me in Almond milk; it did not mix well for me in plain water, sometimes you really had to shake it or blend it a little more to pulverize any settlement at the bottom of the cup.

I used this for breakfast and post workout meal after a heavy workout. For breakfast, I would use 2 scoops, which is 500 calories and 3 scoops, which is 750 calories.

----Effectiveness----

For it being my first weight gainer, I was pleased at the fact, it really did not perform as your typical weight gainer; feeling bloated, getting some fat in your mid-section, and in some cases, retaining water. With KING MASS, I experienced the effects of a good breakfast and post workout meal. In the morning, when I would take 1 serving, I felt full for the next 3 hours, which was a nice surprise, considering that I am hungry like a horse after about an hour after my morning meal. When I used KING MASS as a post, at 3 scoops, it did the same thing; it held me off for a bit before I had my post workout meal. DOMS while on KING MASS was minimal, especially after a killer leg workout.

In my opinion, this can be a meal replacement for those who need to keep their Macros at an elevated intake; eating 6 to 8 solid meals a day can get old very fast.

----Value----

Price on this is not bad, it will get expensive if you use 4 scoops; however, if you are only going to use 1 scoop, which is less than 500 calories, then the value of this is well worth it. There are some good sales on site, from time to time, where you can pick this up pretty cheap.

----Side Effects----

I tasted Peanut Butter all day and it made me want more; other than that, no sides at all :)

----Conclusion----

For this being my first mass gainer, I was very pleased the way my body functioned while taking KING MASS. This should be the corner stone, moving forward, of what a clean mass gainer should be; competition, the bar has been raised. I personally will be buying another tub of this, just for adding it between meals. YEAH BUDDY!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Great
  • Effective
  • Great In Almond Milk
  • 4 Scoop Full Dosage Can Be Overwhelming
pancow
  October 12, 2016

----Introduction----

First I would like to thank the Ronnie Coleman Signature Series team for sending this mass gainer out for review, and the SR TROOPs program for making the connection possible. I know, mass gainers are a waste of money for most of the people who choose to use it, but for me I have a good reason for using mass gainers. Calories. I don't use these expecting my muscle to pop out. I'm at the gym 10-12 hours of the day training, training clients, and doing consultations, so I don't have the convenience of using a blender to make calorie rich shakes like when I'm at home, plus I added an hour of training to my routine so yeah, I need calories for energy, muscle retention and growth.

----Ingredient Profile----

Now, with this mass gainer it's a little different. The extra calorie you'll be receiving isn't as ridiculous as most mass gainers. The highest amount from 4 scoops is 1,000. Normally I see 1,600 or somewhere around that. Not a lot come from fats, but there's up to 26g's of sugar at 4 scoops daily. Honestly this is less than other brands sugar content, and there's 60g's of protein at 4 scoops daily.

King Mass has a carbohydrate matrix, which is obviously where all the carbs come from and one ingredient that you'd definitely recognize is maltodextrin. The protein blend is the more notable section containing whey protein isolate, whey concentrate and micellar casein protein for slower digestion. All together a quality protein powder for extra calories.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----

This. Tastes. AWESOME. I can't emphasize how omazing this aint nothing but a peanut butter taste is. Only reason I can see somebody not liking it is because they don't like peanut butter lol mixing is spot on as well in the shaker cup. I even made protein pudding a few times and everything mixed well. Dosing for me was the max amount of 4 scoops, but keep in mind when it says 4 scoops it doesn't mean all at once. Space those servings out. But dosing may be different depending on your needs, so you could only need one scoop making it last long.

----Effectiveness----

Since this is a mass gainer protein supplement, I'm judging the effectiveness on sufficient calories for energy production and muscle recovery, plus how well my body digested the protein. I'd have to say King Mass XL lived up to my expectations of a quality protein and provided my body the nutrients needed to endure long days of work with training. My muscles maintained a good state of recovery as they did while on the previous protein, so that lets me know it's working well.

The calorie content was sufficient to maintain mass and is capable of packing on more muscle over time I'm sure. But of course using this at the max scoop servings daily makes it to where I can only speculate the claim. However, using this between meals really helped my diet a lot - that I can say for certain.

----Value----

Price isn't too bad actually. I found this on a couple of websites for $33.89, which is pretty cheap depending on servings needed. There's actually 44 scoops in this, so if you only needed one scoop to be added daily to your diet then it's less than a dollar a serving. Keep in mind that the label only shows 2 scoops or more for nutrient value, so I'll note that 1 scoop is 250 calories and 15g's of protein making it well worth the price. I'm already planning on getting another tub lol

Nothing to report

----Conclusion----

In the end this is probably the best mass gainer protein I've ever used, and I'm going to say without any doubt that this is the BEST tasting protein I've ever had. Ain't nothing but a peanut butter flavor was a genius move Big Ron. Thanks for allowing me to review King Mass XL team RCSS.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Great
  • Aids Recovery
  • Extensive Profile
  • Versatile
  • Great Mixability
  • Ain't Nothing But a Peanut Butter: 10/10
lava135

May 6, 2014

Well this one has been in the hopper and is long overdue. This will be a short review and I'm going to spoil it right up front by giving you my opinion first. I will say right up front that I am not, nor have I ever been, a fan of mass gainers. Historically, most of them charged protein prices for cheap carbs that tasted like cardboard. And while I may be kind of "meh" on some of the claims from gainers in general, I will say that this is the best tasting and smoothest drinking mass gainer I have ever had.

Profile: 7/10
Like most gainer products this is a mass (no pun intended) of ingredients that takes too damn long to read. I'm a simple guy and I fall asleep when I have to read long labels. I also am not overly fond of label blends such as "Coleman Lipid Matrix". Although, I will make an exception that if you win more Mr. Olympia titles than any other human, you get to name bunches of ingredients after yourself.

Look, all joking aside, this is primarily a carb based product with 500 calories (2 scoop serving) from 90g of carbs, 30g of protein and only 2g of fat. That's less fat than most popular gainer formulas so I like that. Want fat? Add milk damnit. I also like the source of the carbs – maltodextrin and waxy maize (although technically they aren't required to be labeled as sugar since they aren't mono or di sachharides, malto is pretty darn close as a week polysaccharide and has a GI of 135). But what I really like is that it contains 30g of protein per 2 scoops. Now I could do without the large protein blend – concentrate and milk protein would suit just fine – I've got no real problems with it. But compare that to something like Dymatize gainer, well, it gives you 50g of protein but at 3 times the serving size. Comparing apples to apples and you get a whole lot more junk and a whole lot less protein with most of the other guys products. But even saying that, it's still a gainer product and there are some (acceptable) sacrifices that have to be made.

Seaver did a fine job of listing out the specifics so I won't repeat them here. Just be aware that sites tend to mix the 2 scoop and 4 scoop nutritional info, so you have to pay attention.

Taste&Mixing;: 9/10
Like I said, it mixes up remarkably smooth and the taste is fantastic. However great tasting protein is kind of a staple at RCSS - I suspect that Big Ron must do more than play home-run derby in the warehouse so what good is owning a warehouse full of protein if the cookie jar has lousy tasting cookies, lol.

It's 500 (or 1000) calories – it's going to be effective. I like that it's not chock full of fats so when used with common sense, you can make use of this and gain lean muscle without too much worry. I will say that I used it in half servings (1 scoop) with a bit of additional protein and found it to be quite good for post workout. I respond well to both waxy maize and maltodextrin so using a half serving gave me a solid 45g of carbs. Adding in another scoop of just protein resulted in a well balanced intake of 36g protein and 45g carbs plus a couple grams of fat – nice!

It's a solid value, no doubt. You can get 6lbs for less than $35.00 and 15 lbs for less than $80.00. My single biggest complaint about gainers is that they charge you protein prices for carbs but this brings it down to around $5.00 per pound, which is great for a gainer product. That's ether in-line or cheaper than most of the other higher end gainer products. And let's face it, the vast majority of gainers out there are either crap, or taste like crap, so for me – the combination of great mixing, great taste, and solid ingredients make this a winner if you're looking for a gainer. But like I said, extra helpings of rice, potatoes and chicken will get you there too – so convenience has to be the single greatest factor.

So no, I'm not someone who is going to need a gainer, and if I did I would first turn to whole food. But I do like the convenience factor and I especially like the fact that this is very tasty and very drinkable. It's not my favorite product offering from the big guy, but it is a solid entry into the gainer market. If you're looking to add a gainer supplement into your diet then I highly recommend you give this one a gander.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Great
  • Aids Recovery
  • Still A Gainer
mhseaver670

April 22, 2014

I do not know if any of the younger crowd here will know anything about the old school gainers that I know some of the older crowd here has tried. Geez.. Huge clumps, taste was horrid, It took a bulldozer scoop to get amount of product. It was just bad.

Well Ronnie and his team have forever changed this. So huge thanks to Ronnie and Joe for letting me give this a go.

First off I tend to bulk easy now days, I guess I am getting old. But this fit in nicely for me to hit some extra calories and carb's while busy at work.

Ingredients

12.5 g

Protein
30 g
53.500%
Other Ingredients: Coleman Sustained Delivery Energy Matrix (Maltodextrin, Fructose, Waxy Maize), Coleman Complete Protein Matrix (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein), Coleman Enhanced AminoMatrix (L-Glycine, Creatine Monohydrate, L-Glutamine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine), Coleman Enhanced AminoMatrix (L-Glycine, Creatine Monohydrate, L-Glutamine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine), Coleman Lipid Matrix [Sunflower and/or Soy Oil, CLA (Encapsulated Conjugated Linoleic Acid), Medium Chain Triglycerides (From Coconut), Flax Seed Oil Powder], Natural & Artificial Flavors, Suspension Matrix (Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan), Caramel Color, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose.

I Feel this a good combo of things added in here that chichi and meuth already hit on. So I will let them take credit on that. But I liked that amount of quick calories and carbs I was able to hit with just 2 scoops.

Mix and taste 9.9
Seriously Its not perfect but when you are used to using those horrible gainers of years past this is like heaven. A few shakes and its done!. I had the Dark choc and I was not as happy with it as I was with some of his flavors but I can not complain really. But the ease of mixing with this stuff more than makes up for the lack of flavor for me.
I did try it one time with 4 scoops and although kinda thick , it was still very drinkable.

Effectiveness 9
Well I never used this a mass gainer per say , But I did try and hit my macros a bit more for strength gains and it helped enormously.
My favorite thing to do was about a hr or two after my breakfast was to mix two scoops with about 10 -12 oz of cold coffee. I loved this. Energy, carbs , calories all in one and was done with it like 5 mins. You truly can not beat the convenience of that.

OK so how was the GAINS? , well awesome. I did gain some weight and some fat yes, but I am not one to truly watch my diet so I can not say It was from this. I can say that the added calories and carbs and protein did help me recovery quite fast and I was able to go heavy more frequently than normal. So for that I will give credit to this.

Value. 8.5
Well A 6 lb tub with 44 servings are gonna run you around 35 - 40 bucks,
So if you bought one at 40 bucks and did 2 scoops a day ( 22 ) it would be around 1.80 a serving. Now this is a bit higher than say a blend or isolate, but if you are wanting to hit extra macros easy, I feel its worth it. And to honest this tub seemed to last a really long time, Longer than 44 servings I think.
Also Ronnie always has top quality ingredients in his products so that needs to be considered as well.

Overall 8.8
I think for someone looking for ease of increasing their macro's this is a good choice. I enjoyed using a new gainer that was not a nightmare to take or deal with . I feel this helped with recovery a lot, and has a good profile, and for that I say YEA BUDDY.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Aids Recovery
  • Extensive Profile
  • Great Mixability
  • 4 Scoop Full Dosage Can Be Overwhelming
CamSTL
  April 8, 2014

I'd like to thank Big Ron, the 8x Mr.Olympia himself Ronnie Coleman and Joe Flaherty for hooking me up with King Mass and IsoTropic Max. It seems that Weight Gainers were once deemed a necessity for bulking. What, with the added carbs and fat and a whopping 1000+ calories per true serving one could understand why. Even back during the early days of this site people would recommend getting a gainer to bulk up. The man himself Petey, (who didn't necessarily recommend using a gainer in his "A Man's Guide To Bulking" suggested some gainers you could use as well).

But it seems that thought process is null and void nowadays as he along with many on this site deem weight gainers unnecessary and useless due to the excessive fat gain one could get due to the sugar content, and the overpriced tag on most gainers (even the clean ones) which may not give you the most bang for your buck. Most recommend that you make a gainer the old fashion way with a decent protein, almond milk, oats, peanut butter and a banana.

Content & Value:
However since I'm on the topic of content and value I'll start with both of those categories. Depending on how many SCOOPS you use King Mass XL could easily jump into the extra high calorie mass gainer category. King Mass XL contains a mix of whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, milk protein isolate and micellar casein.

It utilizes carbohydrates which absorb at different rates. Maltodextrin being the faster source, fructose absorbing at a normal rate and the slower absorbing starch waxy maize.

The fats include flaxseed oil, sunflower and soy oil, and two controversial fats being conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) and medium chain triglycerides (MCT)

Last but not least King Mass has range of amino acids including L-Glycine, creatine monohydrate, glutamine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine.
At one point in time RCSS was questioned whether they amino-spiked their protein supplements but I suppose that thought process has been solved and dropped.

Speaking of protein, King Mass may lack the extra goodies and protein per scoop that my favorite gainer, Iso-Mass Xtreme Gainer might have but it has a higher protein per scoop content than the ever-popular Up Your Mass and has an overall better value than the likes of Serious Mass and is half the price with than Iso-Mass. Iso costs around $80 for 30servings, King Mass cost around $37-40 for 27-30 servings depending on how many scoops you take a day.

I did not take all 4 scoops per day as I only took 2; 1 upon waking and the other later in the day. This lasted me around 30 days. Note that some days I was so occupied with "life" that I only took one scoop because I forgot to take a second, but I did blend it with other things. It does suggest (and I also suggest) blending this with a banana, peanut butter, almond milk and/or oats. There are better profiles out and the protein and fat content could be higher per scoop but this profile is solid in just about EVERY category and to be honest, there are few gainers out there that do that and have the value like this.
So Content gets an 8 and Value gets a 9 for reasons explained above

Effectiveness: 8/10 I got this at the right time and when my funds are right I wouldn't mind trying 2-3 tubs to test its true abilities. I got this at the right time because most of my money has been going towards student loans, family stuff and bills which wipe out the rest. Being grown up sucks lol. My diet and grocery shopping took a hit and I suffered some weight loss. Nothing I can't bounce back from but this (along with the added oats, protein, bananas,etc) did help me fill in the void and provide extra calories to my lacking diet. I didn't gain any weight but I didn't lose any either and my strength and endurance slightly went up in the weightroom. Once I get my funds right I'll purchase this again and test out what this product truly can produce.

Overall: 8.5/10 The first time I tried this, the taste (dark chocolate) was just unbelievable. That unbelievable taste however faded but mixed with the added goodies stated above did provide a nice, smooth treat early in the morning. I contemplated giving this a 10 in value but UYM gets the nod if you don't use all 4 scoops, however as I stated above you can get close to 30 servings out of this and pay less or half as much as some gainers which is kinda rare. I wanna thank Big Ron and Joe Flah again for allowing me to try this.

Cam
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Great
  • Versatile
  • Great Mixability
  • 6 Lb Tub Won't Last Long If 4 Scoops Are Used Daily
Meuth

February 27, 2014

Let me start off by thanking RCSS/JoeFlah for supplying me with a 6# tub of King Mass. I have tried many mass gainers in my years of training. I know I could just take regular powder, add oats and some other stuff and put in the blender and save money but......to be honest, I'm lazy. I don't want to clean the blender and I just don't have the time. My first mass gainer ever was Mega Mass 2000 and since then I'd say I'd tried at least 15-20 gainers. Normally with a gainer, I just go with the one that is on sale. On to my experience with King Mass XL.

Profile 8/10

I'll just hit the highlights here:
Each 2 scoop serving contains:
500 cals (23 from fat)
2g fat
80mg Sodium
210mg Potassium
90g carbs (12 sugar) (Maltodextrin, Fructose, Waxy Maize)
30g of protein (Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein)

All of this is listed as 2, 3, or 4 scoops on the label for the math impaired. Pretty convienent. On top of those items, there is also an amino matrix (L-Glycine, Creatine Monohydrate, L-Glutamine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine) and Lipid matrix (Sunflower and/or Soy Oil, CLA, MCT from Coconut, Flax Seed Oil Powder)

I used this as a way to kick off my day as I drive to work at 0430. I wake up, get dressed and ready, drop 2 scoops in a shaker with water and walk out the door. A quick 500 cals with carbs and protein to start my day as I drive. I personally like the profile of this and could go either way on the Creatine Mono being in it. Low fat, low sodium, high carb to give me energy, and medium protein. A great start for my day as I use it.

Taste 10/10

I normally start off with taste but I wanted to go through the profile before I raved on the taste. This is without a doubt the best mixing and tasting gainer I have ever had! I had the chocolate flavor. Seriously, most gainers are clumpy, gritty, or have powder-bergs floating in them. All I did was put 2 scoops in about ¾ blender bottle and BOOM, shake it on the way to the car. It was ready to drink with no mixing issues. Then came the taste. AMAZING. The chocolate taste is excellent. It's very creamy and smooth. It's as close to a chocolate milkshake as you can get with just water!!

Effectiveness 8/10

This is a great way to supplement your daily intake of macros. Quality calories to boost your intake. Over the 22 or so days I used this, I gained a few pounds. I don't want to put the exact amount because when you eat as much as I do, you're obviously going to gain weight. The effectiveness aspect for me is that it was one less meal or snack that I had to eat. When I go all out bulk, I just get tired of eating.

Value 9/10

This may seem like a high rating but I'm adjusting the scale for mass gainers and comparing it to other mass gainers. Other popular mass gainers will run you in the $1.68 range for the largest bag they have. This will run you $1.29-1.44 depending on what deal you run across ($1.77 for the 5#). That means it's on the low end of gainers in price. If you supplement mono already and can cut that out, a slightly better deal even although mono is so cheap it shouldn't be breaking your bank anyway. I based this on my use of 2 scoops and what I would use of the other product too.

Overall 8/10

I can't tell you how much I really liked this product as a whole. Taste was amazing, mixability was top notch, and it helped me meet my macros daily during a 4000+ calorie a day goal. I kept my protein and carbs around 400 grams a piece and this 500 calorie start to my day was a big help for that. Knowing that my day only had 3500+ once I got to work was a huge relief.

Gainers are not essential as you should eat whole food to achieve your goals. For those of us with busy jobs and a hectic life, having a calorie dense shake to help is a nice bonus. If you are bulking and need to make calories count, this is an excellent addition to your daily food! If you are on the fence about trying a gainer, I highly suggest this on! Big Joe seal of approval! I will personally buy this next time I need a gainer in the big bag for the best value.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Great
  • Great Mixability
  • Would Be Nice To Lower Price A Little
Daloof911
  February 5, 2014

This is my long overdue review of King Mass XL, sent to me by the kind folks over at RCSS and the one and only JoeFlah- SR's RCSS rep as many of you already know. This was also the first gainer I have used so I have no previous experiences to compare this to.

Profile:
44 scoops per 6lb Tub

2 scoop (125g) Serving:

-515 Calories-
3.25g Fat (Sunflower and/or Soy oil, CLA, MCTs from Coconut, Flax Seed Oil Powder)
91g Carbs (Maltodextrin, Fructose and Waxy Maize)
30g Protein (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein)

Plus and Amino Matrix and Creatine Monohydrate-
L-Glycine, Creatine Monohydrate, L-Glutamine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine

So 124.25g of the 125g Serving are the fat, carb, and protein content. Which doesn't leave a lot of room for the flavor/sweeteners, aminos, and creatine. So I believe there is some amino spiking, but I do trust RCSS enough to believe that they didn't rely too heavily on their amino additions to "up" their protein content.

For the most part however, I do really enjoy the Macros in this gainer. They fit in really well with my food diet.

When I started using this product I had actually just moved into a new home with 3 other people. It takes me a bit to adapt to change so my macros/diet/sleep patterns suffered. It took me about 2 weeks to get my eating/training routine organized back into my life.
During my run with King Mass I was aiming for about 4000 calories (about 275g P/500g C/100g F) a day. I was consistently hitting 3800 calories before my move weighing about 148. I dropped to about 3300-3500 calories for the first 2 weeks after my move. Using 2 scoops a day I managed to skim the 4000 calorie mark daily which helped bring me up to a milestone 150lbs (haha, lightweight but I'm a 5'6" ectomorph). I could have used more than 2 scoops a day, but I knew the tub wouldn't last forever and I didn't want to have to use a mass gainer as a crutch.
I also didn't experience any bloating or extra flatulence, which is something I would expect from a calorically dense supplement.

Taste/Mixability: 9/10
I received the Dark chocolate flavor, which was delicious in milk or water. I actually preferred it over any regular chocolate protein powder that I've had including Pro-Antium. It also mixed considerably easily, typically better in water than it did in milk, but still pretty smooth.

In the light of the price of mass gainers, I don't think this one is too poorly priced, especially for how clean the profile is for being a mass gainer. This sells for around $37-40 online for a 6lb container with 44 scoops (22 2-scoop servings). It is still too expensive for a simple 500 calories.

Because of the assumed amino-spiking and the value, I dropped the overall score on this product. I did enjoy my run and the results from this King Mass XL, but I don't find it to be a bulking necessity. If you find yourself to be a consumer of mass gainer supplements, I highly recommend giving this a shot, because I honestly don't think I could find one that I would enjoy more than King Mass XL.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Great
  • Aids Recovery
  • Versatile
  • Great Mixability
  • Good Macro Content
    SuperGill
      February 1, 2014

Hey there guys it's gonna be another long-ass review from me. Today im going to be reviewing the relatively new king mass XL from RCSS which is Big Ron's very own brand. So first off I know you're only supposed to write a review after you have gone through the whole tub or in this case bag, but I don't think I would need to finish the product to gauge its effectiveness. On to the review now.

Item: KING MASS XL
    Brand: Ronnie Coleman Signature Series
    Category: Mass Gainer
    Weight: 15lbs
    Servings: 27 servings (108 scoops)
    Flavour: Vanilla Ice Cream

Profile: (9/10)

First of all, it has 60g protein per serving which is 4 scoops,1000-1030 calories per servig, depending on the flavour. It also is low in sugar and sodium (unlike true mass 1200). Also low in sugar (15g per serving). Very similar to true mass 1200 from bsn or serious mass from optimum nutrition. Also has 7.5g of creatine per serving (not creapure, sadly). Pretty solid profiles, one of the best ive seen in a mass gainer.

Taste: (10/10)
    Not really a vanilla type of person but the store I bought it from had no more stock for the chocolate flavour so had to get this. Absolutely no regrets about taking this. The moment the huge ziplock bag was opened, there was a strong vanilla scent coming out of it. Basically spelt like powdered vanilla ice cream. I have tried mixing it with both water and milk, with similar results : AWESOME TASTE. Not overpowering, not bland, just nice is how I would describe it. Taste isn't usually a deal-breaker for me, but when you have a 15lbs bag, you might wanna make sure it taste good. Taste gets a 10 no doubt.

Mixability: (10/10)
    Talcum powder is how I would perfectly describe the powder. It is super fine and when it reacts with air, it flies around, something very pre workout like. Mixability is perfect, no clumps whatsoever. Mass gainers are usually loathed for being hard to mix blah blah blah. No problems with this and I never had to use a blender at all. Usually used one or two scoops at a time and it gave me no problems at all. A perfect 10 for mixability.

Dosing & Effectiveness: (10/10)
    Every serving has 1000 calories. There are 108 scoops in this bag. 4 scoops per serving. 27 servings in total. 27 000 calories in the bag. I decided to use 2 scoops per day instead of 4 since I was also stacking it with pro antium. Pro antium has almost 200 calories per scoop. Usually use 1.5 to 2 scoops of pro antium, which was already providing me with 7.5g of creatine and 300-400 calories. Had to swap my pro antium with some on whey so as not to be getting too much creatine. Usually took one scoop king mass with milk together with wholemeal bread and pb, banana and a multi every morning and one more scoop with milk and yoghurt at night. Gained 7kg in a span of 2weeks. Cycled off creatine and loss 3kg. so 4kg gained using half a bag. Crazy results.

Value: (11/10)
    I got this and a free pro antium 1lb bag for 54usd. 27 servings for 54usd. Or for me it was 54 servings at 54usd. A dollar for every 30g protein, 500 calories of good tasting mass gainer. Need I say more?

Other pros:
    I liked the fact that RCSS used scoops instead of cups to measure every serving unlike true mass or serious mass. I would prefer the use of scoops rather than cups since I like to divide my servings at different times of the day. Using scoops also makes it easier to pour in a blender bottle.

Another pro would be the fact that unlike most mass gainers, king mass xl has low sodium content, which is good, for me at least.
    Unlike serious mass, this has no PABA (parabenzoic acid) which is a major plus for me. The fact that serious mass has 5g of PABA per serving was the only reason I did not get it.

Cons:
    Creatine. Im a firm believer in creapure creatine and I feel that if there is a need to put creatine in a product, it should be creapure, if not, might as well not put it. Creapure is cheap, so RCSS could decide whether to replace it with creapure or take it out completely since people might be supplementing with creatine themselves.
    In conclusion:
    Get this product to gain mass. One of the best mass gainers you will ever find. No ridiculous claims like some other companies. Simply does it job with zero negative side effects. Hope this review helps you guys!
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Taste Great
    • Aids Recovery
    • Extensive Profile
    • Great Mixability
    • Effective
    • No Paba
    ron

January 28, 2014

RCSS King Mass XL is advertised as a Super Anabolic Growth Accelerator which is essentially a really cool way to say that it is a weight gainer for muscle builders.

For the record I will state that I have zero prior experience with weight gainers and was excited to try this product in a bulk stack loaded with other RCSS products such as Testogen XR / Myo-Blitz XS / Amino-Tone / Pro-Antium / Resurrect-P.M.

---------------Ingredients--------------

Coleman Sustained Delivery Energy Matrix (Maltodextrin, Fructose, Waxy Maize)

Coleman Complete Protein Matrix (Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein)

Coleman Enhanced Amino Matrix (L-Glycine, Creatine Monohydrate, L-Glutamine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine)

Coleman Lipid Matrix (Sunflower and/or Soy Oil, CLA, MCT from Coconut, Flax Seed Oil Powder

Each 62g scoop contains 250 cals, 1g fat, 45g carbs, 6g sugar, 15g protein

--------------- Value ---------------

The best deal I found at the time of this review was on AllStarHealth.com where you can get a 15 lb bag (108 scoops) of King Mass XL for $70 while a 6 lb bag (44 scoops) will set you back $36. Honestly if you are serious about gaining some weight and are gonna fork over the cash, I don't see why you would purchase the 6 pounder. With this in mind the following pricing will be as if you purchased the big 15 pound bag.
    $70 for 15 pounds = $4.66 per pound
    15 lb bag contains 108 scoops = $0.65 per scoop

Each 62g scoop contains 250 cals, 1g fat, 45g carbs, 6g sugar, 15g protein

So depending on how you choose to consume this product to fill your dietary needs and goals, multiply the above information by the number of scoops you deem necessary and financially viable.

Keep in mind that this weight gainer also contains Creatine Monohydrate so if this is something you already supplement your diet with, you can eliminate it with King Mass and cut that cost from your supplement stack as well.

While I feel each weight gainer has its own recipe for success, I thought it relevant to add additional information. So, for comparison purposes I chose another top SR reviewed weight gainer, Optimum's Pro Complex. Also at AllStarHealth, a 10 lb bag (28 one scoop servings) could be purchased for $68. Each 165g scoop contains: 650 cals, 8g fat, 85g carbs, 5g Fiber, 5g Sugar, 60g protein.

Note: Keep in mind that Optimum's scoop is just shy of 3 times larger than RCSS's so if comparing nutritional data make sure to multiply the King Mass data by 3.

---------------Taste / Mixing ---------------

My first impression of King Mass was that it was extremely fluffy in powder form. The first scoop I dropped into a normal sized drinking glass created a hefty powder cloud that actually reached my face. All future scoops were added with much more care and precision. Being that the 6 pound tub only contains 44 king sized scoops and a suggested dose is 2-4 scoops per serving, I chose 2 scoops so that I could get 22 days out of this tub. This worked out to an additional 500 calories to my daily diet and I felt this was adequate for my bulking goals as I was shooting for a 30 day bulk cycle.

My liquid of choice for this first foray into the world of mass gainers was Blue Diamond unsweetened Almond Coconut Milk. This proved to be a mistake as it really didn't mix too well. Actually I should say certain compounds mixed well while additional compounds did not. I won't attempt to guess at this point, but will say that very small powder pockets stayed on top of the glass after a very thorough spoon mixing session. The best way I can describe this is with a scenario I have performed many times as a child. I'm sure some of you will relate to this. Have you ever wanted chocolate milk so bad that you attempted to make it out of a hot chocolate powder pack with cold milk? If you have, then you know exactly how King Mass mixes in almond milk. Now is this a bad thing? Not at all. I actually really enjoyed spooning the powder off the top. It was delicious and as I stated before, brought back a childhood memory.

It was not until a few days later when I used a Spider shaker cup did I realize that this was the preferred method of mixing King Mass. Two scoops in a 16oz shaker, topped off with 1% Milk, coconut milk or almond milk, shake vigorously for a few seconds and DONE! A delicious, creamy drink with zero powdery floaters is ready for consumption.

Now I am a total chocoholic and this being the case, love all things chocolate. So as far as taste is concerned, if I had never tasted RCSS's Pro-Antium Double Chocolate Cookie, I would give King Mass's Dark Chocolate flavor a 10. Sorry RCSS, your Pro-Antium outdid your King Mass. However, make no mistake. The Dark Chocolate flavor is very sweet, easy to drink and quite enjoyable. I never got tired of this flavor and wish I would have received the 15 pound bag instead of the
    6 pounder.

---------------Dosage---------------

Ronnie Coleman's diet example listed on the side of the King Mass jug suggests consuming this as your first and last meal of the day. Personally I chose to just drink it as my last meal of the day as I was following a slightly modified Carb Back Loading IF style program. I also chose to consume 2 scoops per serving as this would give me 500 calories per day or 3500 calories per week which should give me roughly 1 pound of quality weight gain per week. As I didn't modify my normal diet in any way, I felt this was the best way to test King Mass's weight gainer qualities.

My personal diet dictates that I keep my carbs low pre-workout and heavy post-workout. Since I workout in the evenings after work, my dinner is by far the largest meal of the day and it is very common for me to be extremely full from dinner to bedtime. This large dinner normally serves a great purpose to me as I like to snack before bed in front of the TV and being full stops this undesired snacking. However, on a bulk cycle where you are trying to consume extra calories, this doesn't work to well. With King Mass I still felt that I had to force myself to drink it, but it was soooo easy to do so. It is advertised to have milk shake like qualities, but honestly I find it to be equivalent to chocolate milk. The powder is so fine and mixes so completely that it goes down like nothing.

--------------- Side Effects ---------------

I experienced no adverse effects from King Mass. No bathroom issues or gas.

--------------- Effectiveness ---------------

To test the blood sugar glucose effects and assumed insulin response of King Mass, I used a blood sugar monitor every 15 minutes after consuming 2 scoops of King Mass immediately post workout. I won't go into the details here, but what I found is that King Mass not only spikes your blood sugar quickly and effectively, but it will hold it at higher than baseline levels for more than 2 hours after consumption.

And now you say: "So what does that mean to me?"

It means that if you need a pre-workout energy source, this would be an ideal protein for you to take at that time. For those of you wanting to keep your carbs and insulin low before bed in the attempt to achieve a quicker sleep induced growth hormone spike should consume King Mass much earlier in the day.

---------------Body Composition Data-------------
    Weight (Lbs.) 212.8 216.2 (+3.4)
    BMI 30.5 31.0 (+0.5)
    Fat % 15.5 15.9 (+0.4)
    BMR (Kcals) 1983 2005 (+22)
    Impedance (Ohms) 394 390 (-4)
    Fat Mass (Lbs.) 33.0 34.4 (+1.4)
    Fat-Free Mass (Lbs.) 179.8 181.8 (+2.0)
    Total Body Water (Lbs.)131.6 133.0 (+1.4)

Heaviest day during 5 week bulk 217.0 (Day 35)
    Lightest day during 5 week bulk 210.0 (Day 5)

Without changing my diet except to add King Mass, I consumed 22 two scoop servings of this weight gainer over the course of 36 days. Over that 36 days I gained a total of 3.4 lbs of which 1.4 was water, 0.6 muscle and 1.4 fat. Please keep in mind that this body comp. analyzer is not the most accurate piece of equipment, especially for those of us with a higher than normal muscle mass total. I use it purely as a guide, but take its results with a grain of salt. However, as I was estimating to gain roughly 4 pounds, this data is pretty much what I expected to see.

--------------- Final Words ---------------

For those desiring weight gain by way of muscle mass, remember that weight gainers are meant to supplement a solid diet that is balanced in carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats. It is up to you, the individual, to ensure that your diet and workout routine are adequate for your desired goals. No weight gainer will toss on muscle by simply drinking them. They will however help to ensure that your body has the nutritional building blocks necessary for muscle growth, but this positive growth will only occur if you put the work in at the gym.

Lastly, I'd like to sincerely thank SR's very own Joeflah, the entire RCSS crew including Big Ronnie Coleman himself, for the opportunity to test their entire product line. I did my very best to be as descriptive while running each of their products and I hope I did them all justice. If you'd like more detailed information about my run with the entire RCSS supplement line including my full blood sugar testing report for King Mass (Page 64, reply #946), please check out my journal at:

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Taste Great
    • Aids Recovery
    • Extensive Profile
    • Versatile
    • Great Mixability