Clear Muscle Reviews

By: MuscleTech

FORUM TOPICS

Growth Enhancers > Nutrient Repartitioners
Clear Muscle is a Nutrient Repartitioner manufactured by MuscleTech. It is meant to help the body use the macronutrients of protein, carbohydrates and fats more efficiently.

Only 2 Reviews - Waiting for more trustworthy reviews

Overall
Overall
1.0
  August 26, 2014

Pros:
 Cons:
    • Complete Waste Of Money
    • Extremely Overhyped
    • Look Elsewhere
    ------------

Claims

-------------------
    You’ve seen the multi-page ads in every fitness magazine for two months running now. Bold claims of a 12 week study conducted at the University of Tampa on Clear Muscle’s sole ingredient BetaTOR. MuscleTech proudly stating that the blessed participants gained an average of 16.3 pounds of muscle vs. 4.6 pounds for the placebo group. This study also reports that the fortunate half of this double-blind study improved their overall 1RM strength on the bench press, deadlift and squat for an averaged total of 170 pounds. Meanwhile the unfortunate placebo group gained only 55.8 pounds of 1RM strength.

Amazing right?

How could you not want to try this product? I know I was very exciting to begin. So excited in fact that I bought into the entire diet and workout routine that was the CLEAR MUSCLE CHALLENGE. I mean it says right on the bottle

“To maximize your results, use the EXACT same training protocol as the subjects in the 12-week study.”

Maximize my results? Durn straight!! Who the heck wouldn’t want to do that?

In all sincerity, I knew this sounded too good to be true, but honestly thought that in a worst case scenario I would gain at least as much muscle and strength as the placebo group. I mean that sounds reasonable right?

Well if you said “of course bro!” you are sadly mistaken. Just as I was and as the following data will indicate.

Ingredients

-------------
    A 2 capsule serving contains 1 gram BetaTOR (Free acid beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate)
    BetaTOR is MuscleTech’s patented name for HMB-FA which is an acid free derivative of HMB and metabolite of leucine.

The presence of HMB signals muscle cells to preserve the existing muscle, thereby promoting additional muscle growth and faster muscle development and recovery. This helps you build muscle mass, muscle strength, and muscle endurance.

Price

--------------------
    $56 for a 4 week supply was the cheapest I could find this at the time of this writing.
    That’s $168 for 3 bottles if you want to run the entire 12 weeks program.

Dosage

------------------
    Take 2 capsules in the morning, mid-afternoon, and evening. On workout days, take 1 serving 30 minutes before training.

Workout

-----------------
    The Clear Muscle Challenge directed a program that consisted of only 3 workouts per week.
    Each workout started with the 3 major lifts (Squats, Bench Press & Deadlifts).
    #1 – Hypertrophy Workout (8-10 reps per set with short breaks)
    #2 – Power Workout (3-5 high velocity reps per set using 40-60% 1RM with medium breaks)
    #3 – Strength Workout (3-5 reps per set working towards 1RM with long breaks)

Diet

------------------------
    Food intake directions were fairly consistent everyday with the exception of an additional 100g of carbs to be consumed on workout days. This worked out to the following suggested average daily macro-nutrient breakdown.

Calories 3,610
    Protein 383g (43%)
    Carbs 201g (23%)
    Fat 132g (34%)

The above numbers were suggested for a 200 pound male. Going into this program I was 218, but knowing that my daily maintenance is roughly 2500 calories, I thought MuscleTech was a little too generous and decided to make a downward adjustment. The following is my average daily intake over the 4 weeks.

Calories 3,108
    Protein 350g (45%)
    Carbs 193g (25%)
    Fat 104g (30%)

As you can see I kept the macro ratio really close to what was directed while dropping the daily calories by 500, but was still roughly 600 above my daily maintenance. I felt this was certainly enough of a caloric surplus for the Clear Muscle to work its protein synthesizing magic.

------------
    Using a Tanita Body Composition Analyzer once a week I acquired the following data.
    ( listed in pounds )

Fat 17.1%
    Fat Mass 37.8
    Fat-Free Mass 183.0
    Total Body Water 134.0

So over a 4 week period on this program I gained 3 pounds of fat and zero fat-free muscle mass. How did Clear Muscle not synthesize any of my extra calories into some lean muscle? Even the placebo group gained almost 5 pounds in 12 weeks and I couldn’t even gain one?

Perhaps this product is called Clear Muscle because the muscle gained is invisible. However for me this product should be called CLEAR FAT !!!

So, there’s a HUGE HUGE strike for this product and program.
    Now let’s check out my strength gains. Certainly my newly gained waistline girth must have provided some new 1RM’s (one rep maxes).

Day 1 – 1RM
    Leg Press – N/A (never attempted more than 700x10 for 3 sets before this program)
    Bench Press 375x1
    Deadlift 475x1

Day 28 – 1RM
    Leg Press - 900x2 (pain in knee prevented me from going heavier)
    Bench Press – 365x1
    Deadlift – 475x1

So there was zero gain on my deadlift. My attempt at 495 was a complete failure that never left the floor. As for my bench press I actually got 375 about 3 inches from lock out and had to dump it. So I’m counting that as a decrease in bench strength.

How is this possible? I followed the workouts to a T !!!

-----------

Side Effects

-------------
    NONE!!! Did not experience any negative side effects.
    However, I also didn’t experience any good effects either.

-----------

Final Words

-------------
    While this Clear Muscle Program was a complete failure it was no different than any other of the ridiculous claims that MuscleTech has made historically with their numerous product lines. However I’ll just bring up one more comical thing I noticed right away on their own website that isn’t even written in words or hidden in fancy scientific jargon. It’s the picture of the amazingly ripped bodybuilder who appears to be curling 225 pounds on a straight Olympic bar. If you look closely at the side by side 45 pound Ivanko plates on the bar, they have the exact same scuffed markings. Extremely elementary cut n paste computer skills were used to fool us yet again. Think about it. If they have to exaggerate the amount of weight lifted by their, uh hem, totally natural model, why wouldn’t they exaggerate how their products perform?

--------- OK OK, The Real Final Words -------------
    If after everything I’ve said you still think to yourself
    “This guy is full of crap and just hates MuscleTech.”
    do yourself a favor and check out the following:

I read through several reports and studies and the most interesting thing I found was that FA-HMB (BetaTOR) was slightly less effective in stimulating (MPS) muscle protein synthesis than Leucine.

Did you catch that?

Leucine, the very inexpensive, highly studied and touted (BCAA) branched-chain amino acid is better at building muscle than the metabolite HMB that comes from Leucine itself. Perhaps the process of making BetaTOR strips something from the raw Leucine that is more beneficial than just Leucine itself.

Still don’t believe me? Please take a look, open your eyes and save yourself some hard earned cash in the process.

-------- LAST, BUT NOT LEAST ------------
    To view my entire 4 week Clear Muscle Challenge, please check out my journal:

August 11, 2014

Let me begin by saying that I had high hopes and expectations from this product.
    The slick advertising, bold claims and ridiculous price, it better had produced something of note!

Now, I've not really been a fan of Muscle Tech products, except for "Alpha-Amino-Prototype- 216," a product they discontinued. Despite lackluster gains reported by many, I have always believed in and liked the effects/benefits of HMB. I'm more on the ectomorphe side, and find that HMB is anti-catabolic and helps with my strength, which fluctuates wildly.

After I came back from my vacation I was still happy with my leanness and wanted to maintain my six pack, but also gain some more muscle. I didn't wanna use creatine or carb laden pre-workouts, so I stuck with the basic "Agmatine, Beta-Alanine" stuff.

So, Clear Muscle was the only addition and fit in nicely. 2 caps 3x's per day with breakfast, lunch and dinner and on empty stomach, a.m. with my pre-workout, on lifting days. Simple!

I did my own training program, which is more of old school 3x's per week whole body, featuring the big lifts. (Squat, Bench, Dead, Overhead-Press + arms, calves and ab work).
    Cardio also 3x's in between days with, walking, jogging and some HIIT stuff.

So, what did this expensive-ass product yield? Well, nothing noticeable until about week 2, when I started pushing up the reps and adding more weight to my lifts.

The reps kept coming, the weights got heavier and heavier and heavier! No soreness, great pumps and vascularity....and did I mention heavier weight?

I found myself consuming more food, snacking more in between meals and later at night, but no increase in waist size. Just more strength and fuller, harder muscles.

Over-all, these past six weeks I only gained 2 lbs. on the scale but my strength went up over 50% and even doubled on the big three, from where I began. That's pretty incredible, I have to say, especially for me. I usually struggle with a 5-10 increase on a particular lift.

What's the take away then? Well, for recovery, strength and power, the Clear Muscle formula is a big leap forward from regular HMB. But, aside from a denser muscle, gaining actual size may require longer more committed use. That's gonna be expensive!

I must mention a weird side effect now though. After about the 3rd week, I noticed a slight burn in my esophagus, kind of like a mild heartburn or acid reflux sensation I guess?
    I added more liquid fats EFA's with my meals and drank more water, but it stayed with me thru-out each day and night. HMB, can cause a similar thing in burp form, but this is more constant.

All-in-all I'd say this is a solid and interesting product, that may have many benefits over the long term, but with that weird side effect and stupid price tag it may not be a must try for most.