6.8

Ranks #7 (better than 25%)
In: Weight Loss > Stimulant Free

Trojan Horse is a Stimulant Free Weight Loss Product manufactured by Blackstone Labs. It can increase metabolic rate and fat loss without the use/inclusion of traditional stimulants.

Weight Loss > Stimulant Free

Welcome to SupplementReviews.com

The supplement industry is notorious for misleading marketing and misinformation.
bctuthill
  April 20, 2017

(Thanks to Blackstone Labs for sending it out!)

Hi everyone-I'd like to thank blackstone labs for their participation in the TROOPers program. I'm not someone who frequently takes weightloss supplements, but I've had good experience with carnitine in the past and found that it affects me only as much as I'd like it to. Prior weight loss supps I've tried that are more intense or stim-based tend to leave me looking more emaciated than lean. But with carnitine as a main ingredient in this, and no stimulants, I thought it be worth a shot. Unfortunately, the sides were terribly uncomfortable and the taste was even worse. I had to cut it off early. I know this is taboo, but as I understand it, the rationale behind whether to continue taking a supplement that's causing side effects is to consider it through the lens of "what would you do if you'd paid for it?" Since I would've paid to be able to stop easy decision.

Fully disclosed label here that has the usual 500mg dose of carnitine tartrate, plus garcinia cambogia extract, calcium pyruvate, and chromium picolinate.

Garcinia Cambogia is supposed to work by inhibiting the citric acid lysase enzyme from being able to synthesize fatty acids, but it's been shown to have little to no effect in humans.

Calcium pyruvate is produced in cells from glucose over the course of creating ATP. It has poor absorption ability and can cause stomach distress in high doses (about 4x the standard dosage in Trojan Horse). According to what I've read, its effects for weight loss are minimal.

chromium picolinate has been studied with results showing little to no effect on weight loss and possible DNA damage and carcinogenic activity at high doses in male rats (but not females). -and in doses much higher than in this supplement.

Carinitine Tartrate helps your body transport triglycerides to your cells to be converted to energy in the form of ATP. I believe this is the most active compound in the supplement, alluding to its ability to induce ketosis (body burning fat for energy instead of carbs).

So what happens to your carbs in artificial ketosis? See side effects

This is hands down, no question, the worst tasting thing I've ever tried. I'd rather stick a battery on my tongue for an hour. I tried it dry too, hoping I could just swallow it whole and not taste anything by chasing it with some water have you ever had a spoonful of cinnamon? It just stuck to my teeth and gums and anywhere else it could fall into and totally backfired. When mixing with water it was so sweet it made me feel sick. I had the black currant- maybe the lemon lime flavor is better.

Mixing was ok, but there was a fair amount of settling at the bottom of the cup each time.

I averaged about 1 scoop every 3-4 days that's how long it took the sides to settle down. Probably compromised its effectiveness.

I noticed no change in weight. I had to wait a few days between doses because of the side effects, so that is probably why.

The best price I found was $39.95 on ebay for 60 servings. I can't say it's a good or bad value because as I stated in the opener, I would've paid to stop taking it.

Side Effects

Besides being unbearably sweet and feeling sick after drinking this, I had to wait days between doses for the sides to wear off. Trojan Horse is a perfect name for this stuff because it comes at you all sweet then once it's in your stomach it wages war on your entire digestive system.

The premise of this supplement is that it induces ketosis, thus forcing your body to burn fat reserves for energy. The problem with this is that if you're still eating carbs, they still need to go somewhere. So, they go out. Rapidly, thoroughly, and seem to multiply on their way through.

Conclusion

I can't recommend this to anyone and will never use this again. The experience was miserable from the first sip to the last wipe. I hate to give Blackstone a bad review because I think they're a good company that tries to push the envelope on the supplement world, but this just failed for me entirely. I hope others will have different experiences. Admittedly, my stomach can be a bit of a snowflake.
 Pros:
 Cons:
    • Side Effects
    • Black currant: 1/10

• admin
      9 days ago

Dang, that sounds awful, but I'm surprised it still managed to receive a 5/10 on the rating scale!

9 days ago

I graded on a curve as the first to review... I think there's such a tendency for ingredients to have a unique response from person to person, I didn't want to drag these guys down too bad for people that just look at number ratings. If the next two or three people who review don't have the same issue and give it a better rating, I don't want to skew the results too much.

• admin
      9 days ago

The reviews are already on a curve in order to adjust for there being only one review. Notice how your rating is 5.0 but the product gets a rating of 7.1 - this is to adjust for the lack of reviews. So just make sure that you're giving each product the score that you think it deserves. Don't worry about being the first or only review, just share from your heart.

ok then!

• sergiosays
      TROOPer Level: 27
      9 days ago

sorry for the bad experience man. apart from the side-effects, how did this product feel when taken before a workout? any notable energy/focus properties?

9 days ago

Nothing, but this shouldn't have any energy effects to it anyway as a nonstim fat burner. Without being able to take it regularly because of the sides, there was really no way for it to be effective. I hope other people have better experiences.

• Cray
      TROOPer Level: 57
      8 days ago

Huh. I'm running this as well. Regular one scoop a day. Def experiencing looser and more aggressive movements, but nothing this drastic. Does taste like ass though.