Phormula-1 Reviews

By: 1st Phorm

Protein > Whey Protein
Phormula-1 is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by 1st Phorm. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Overall
Overall
8.9
8.9
Thanks to 1st Phorm for sending it out!
  October 8, 2017

• Low In Sucralose
  • Fast Absorption
  • High Quality

After a long wait the giant has awakened from his slumber!! Haha.. but for real, I do apologize for the wait time... School, work, etc.. really gets in the way.

Anyhow, I need to thank 1st Phorm for allowing me to try out Phormula-1 (I really liked this one)! And a big thank you! to the the trooper program as always!!

To make this short and sweet. I'm a gym rat.. Plain and simple... I don't really party or have nights on the town. My spare time, I normally devote to loved ones and training; after all, those are still quite productive. So my point here is this.. I've been involved in the supplement world for quite some time now and have never stopped learning, that is what makes things like writing reviews fun for me!

That's enough of that.. On to the review!

INGREDIENTS: Low Temperature Processed Whey Protein Isolate, Creamer Powder (Coconut Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Caseinate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Contains 2% or less of the following: Mono and Diglycerides, Silicon Dioxide), Natural and Artificial Flavor, Soy Lecithin, Acesulfame Potassium, Salt, Titanium Dioxide Color, Cinnamon, Caramel Color, Sugar, Neotame, Sucralose.
CONTAINS: Milk and Soy.

MACROS: 1g Fat (.5 Sat), 3g Carbs (1g Sugar), 20g Protein

This was copied directly from the site and is in descending order as always.. So looking at the ingredient label you can't depict a whole lot; however, the first listed ingredient is "low temperature processed whey protein isolate," and is claimed to be far from the every day isolate. Apparently this low temp cross-flow micro-filtration process takes place and provides the best bio-available (undenatured) protein on the market.. Now if this reflects the products effectiveness... You'll have to see in the "effectiveness" tab.

As you further observe the ingredient label you'll notice Sucralose is the very last ingredient. Often times its the second, or third from last; after dyes & artificial flavorings, but thats not the case here... Kinda a simple thing to rant about, but I prefer as little sweetener as possible.

I'd further break down this profile here, but I'm going to assume you all know protein's purpose is to prevent catabolism (break down of muscle) & the mechanisms by which this takes place.. In other words. That protein in the only notable thing to discuss here...

The taste was pretty damn good to be honest.. Never had a Cinnamon Toast Crunch protein powder before, but I'm glad this was my first experience.

Mixability was insane.. Again a simple thing to note, but 1-2 swift shakes and the protein is now a shake lol... Protein-Shake

Dosing is one scoop for women (32 servings) & two for men (16 servings). I'd complain this cuts the tub in half .. but this is pretty standard... 40g is the presumed amount of protein your body can process & use in one sitting. So really any protein tub is two scoops.

Like I said in the beginning.. I'm a lil gym rat and devote much spare time to the bar-life, & know when a product is serving its purpose. For this reason I can without a doubt say this is one of the best I've used..

It took a few days to realize I hadn't been sore at all, but I didn't think much of it until I reached the end of the week fully recovered from each day... Taking note of this peaked my curiosity, so I did some digging on the company & the product itself. Turns out they have their own factories where they process their products, while most companies source from other manufacturers... Another small thing to note.

The second week came and passed pretty quickly. School, gym, work, was my consistent schedule & as long as I used Phormula-1 after the gym, work was a breeze! I work as a head lifeguard at a recreation facility, so I constantly march around like a prison guard saving little brats until my shift is over (often no breaks).. I'm used to being a bit sore after working out, then working; so it was hard not to notice I wasn't sore, even after a long shift WITH NO FOOD!!

You can get Phormula-1 on 1st Phorms site and thats it. They only allow themselves to represent and sell their product (which is respectable), so they also set the bar on pricing... Here is where value takes a pretty good hit..

Phormula-1 sells for 54.99 + Shipping so obviously this is on the high side.. However, with the results I had... I don't really care and am pretty well hooked.

Side Effects

I had a couple days where I hadn't eaten anything all day (woke up late for school), hit the gym, then went to work with only this in my stomach.. This is where that fast digesting protein can become a problem... I had to take a dump after 30min ingesting; which honestly is fine with me. I felt lighter afterward haha.

Conclusion

I'm hooked! Not many products have this type of impression on me my first go around. It usually take a couple tubs to get me hooked, but my experience here was good enough to make me a consistent user... Theres a first time for everything, & I suppose it makes sense "1st" Phorm filled that gap.
  • CTC: 9/10

Overall
Thanks to 1st Phorm for sending it out!
  September 12, 2017

• Fast Absorption
What's going on SR family! Hope all of you who reside in Houston and Florida you are ok. With that said, I would like to thank 1st Phorm and the Trooper program for allowing me to run Phormula-1, the company's Whey Isolate protein. A fast absorbing protein is key for us after hitting the gym hard, so we can start the recovery as soon as possible. I was in the market for a clean Whey isolate protein when Phormula-1 came along for the Troopers; I jumped on the opportunity to give it a ride!

For the profile on Phormula-1, simple clear label of goodies you get, straight to the point. In Phormula-1, there are combinations of different Protein Isolates, which makes Phormula-1 one of the fastest absorption rate in a protein I have used in the past. There is Whey Protein Isolate, which is processed in a Low Temperature Cross-Flow Micro-Filtered, which allows you to get the purest whey protein as possible; it is the reason why there is only 23 grams of protein. In addition, Phormula-1 contains dipeptides and tripeptides, which helps the body absorb much faster than your typical protein molecule.

Taste - Oh my, I received the Cereal flavor, it was like drinking some Kellogg's brand. This to me was one of the best tasting proteins I have ever used.

Mix - Phormula-1 mixed well, some foaming; depending on what you mix it with. Some protein Isolates tend to foam a lot Phormula-1 was minimal in water, I mixed mine in Almond Milk, and did not see too much foaming.

Dosing - I used Phormula-1 as a post workout shakes, since I was running a multi-blend protein, which I was taking for breakfast. One scoop within 20 mins after my workout and on a few occasions, I would mix a serving as part of my intera workout supplement; I was looking to keep my body in anabolic state when doing a hard workout like back and legs.

As we know, sometimes is hard to gauge the effectiveness of protein; however, Phormula-1 I did notice some of the benefits of consuming a clean, fast absorbing protein. Whenever I took a serving as a post workout, I noticed that my body's level of soreness was decreased, never eliminated. When I woke up the next day, I felt less sore. The one thing we have to keep in mind, the absorption rate on Phormula-1 is quick, so after about 20 mins of taking it, I would feel hungry, which was perfect timing for my post workout solid meal. Therefore, Phormula-1 is not a meal replacement shake.

In addition, I noticed some good reduction of lactic acid build up when I incorporated Phormula-1 as part of my intera workout supplements. I only used it on days I did heavy back and legs, recover between sets was good and I felt full, not full like after a meal; however, as if my muscles we packed with nutrients ready to hit the weights again.

Now, Phormula-1 will not be found on aisle 9 at Wal-Mart, this is a premium protein, which is not cheap. I was able to find it locally in the Dallas-Fort Worth area for around $35.00; however, on line, it can range between $45 to $55. It contains 32 servings, which is not bad if you use it once a week. Sometimes we have to ask ourselves "Is it worth the Price?" Well, you get what you pay for.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I was very pleased with Phormula-1, I did notice the recovery, and of course, the great taste of the product. I believe this may be out the price range for our average gym rat; however, if you have some extra cash to burn or you are getting ready for some kind of contest, then I would splurge and get a tub of Phormula-1. I would like to thank 1st Phorm again for the opportunity.

June 2, 2016

• Not Alot Of Fillers

I've had the pleasure of trying plenty isolates in the past year only a few stuck out at me. Previously I used to be a huge proponent of Isoflex and Isopure, given that both provide 25-27g of protein per scoop. Phormula-1 is lower dosed as far as grams of protein per scoop, however in my experience the Hydrolyzed protein does compensate for those couple of grams.

The ingredient list seems to be rather deep, from my understanding a scoop (depending on the flavor) provides 23 grams of protein isolates, but not just any isolate this is 100% Hydrolyzed Protein Isolate. The hydrolyzation means that this protein acts as pre chewed protein and has better digestion and absorption rates, which is why I only took it immediately after my workouts (not before and after like the bottle suggests)

As far as taste, this is a decent 7.5 out of 10 on most flavors. The CTC and fruit loop flavors are decent but the taste is too blend when mixed with water. The typical vanilla and chocolate flavors are good but nothing to be yearning for, this isn't Syntha-6
One thing I was impressed with is the mixability of Phormula-1. A scoop of this protein will dilute in 4 oz water as well as it will in 8oz.
Dosing is simple, I only used this post workout, 1 to 2 scoops. 23g of protein, although Isolate and Hydrolyzed doesn't seem like a lot to me. Sometimes I'd throw in 1st Phorm's Ignition into my post workout shake, that certainly added sweetness to the flavor.

Whenever it comes to protein its hard to gauge exactly how much better or worse the product is than the last protein you took. I did notice that at 2 scoops I would feel significantly less sore after my workouts, than when I would take 2 scoops of ON's Gold Standard. As per recommendation on the bottle I also used this product with Ignition, 1st Phorms Carb product which is basically straight sugar at 46 grams. When these too are combined I felt much better recovery and my muscles were very full.

Now online this product is about $60. But if you visit a real store out in the mall, I know its crazy you might even have to talk to someone, you'll probably get a better deal. And I'm not talking about S2, which is 1st Phorms parent company or the other way around. I get mine for around $45, which is steep for 30 servings, but than again this is comparable to the higher end proteins. At $1.5 a scoop, Its right there with our pro complexes, Isopures and such premium names.

Side Effects

None to report.

Conclusion

If you are a daily gym goer, who isn't counting macros or cares about the fastest protein rates this is def a protein you can skip, there is certainly a better bang for you buck. If you have a few bucks to burn, are serious about your protein sources or planning to step on stage this might be something you'd want to try.
  • CTC: 8/10
  • Vanilla: 7/10
  • Chocolate: 7/10
  • Fruit Loop: 6/10

July 31, 2015

• Not Alot Of Fillers

I have been lifting intensively (6 days a week) for the past 16 months. My first 3 months of lifting I was "that guy" that would just walk into a GNC and say "I am trying to gain lean mass bro, what do you recommend"...and then proceed to buy whatever the reps threw my way. I then started to realize that it takes diligent research on my own and jumping on various websites and forums in order to know exactly what is being put in my body vs. what my goals are. I weigh 181 lbs and keep my protein intake between 275 and 300 G of protein per day and my carbs between 100-200 per day (cycling heavy, light, intermediate between days throughout the week). My goals are to maintain my current body weight while busting PR's in the gym day in and day out whilst maintaining decent cardio. This keeps me lean and strong. I discovered supplement reviews about 13 months ago and recently realized that while remaining humble I still may have enough knowledge to finally try and help some of you out there who were like me 16 months ago. My first thought on 1st Phorm's "Phormula-1" was nothing short of heaven in a shaker cup. (First Isolate type protein I ever purchased).

When It comes to protein I look for total grams per serving versus total protein per serving. The ratio in Phormula-1 is very good when trying to find a protein with very little fillers and still maintaining a fantastic taste. (23g protein vs. 26g total serving leaving room for only 3g of fillers).

The only flavor I have tried was the "loop d fruit" and it tasted exactly like the remnants of a bowl of fruit loops where just the powder is floating around in the milk. Needless to say, strict diets don't allow for a lot of cereal so this protein makes it feel like a cheat day! The mix ability in my opinion is good although I don't really care about the mixability as long as the taste is on point, which it is. I mixed it in water as well as 2% milk and it was great all the same.

As far as effectiveness goes, you see the same quality of results as with any high quality Isolate such as Phormula-1. Not too much "weight" where it fills you up before a work out but at the same time it isn't too light in the stomach where you feel cravings during a work out. Truly a well balanced protein for pre-post workout especially when stacked with a few grams of carbs for an extra boost.

For myself this protein is a little on the more expensive side so I only buy it when I am feeling classy. However, it is definitely worth the price you pay.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall I believe 1st phorm did a great job on this isolate protein because the really nailed the flavoring process so you can definitely dive into this product with no concern of being disappointed on that end. Well balanced protein with a high total grams vs. protein content so you know your body is not taking in too many fillers. If your budget is not too tight for supplements when it comes time to buy this protein, definitely consider this product.

Overall
Overall
3.0
0.0
  January 28, 2013

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Great
  • Has Protein
First off I will write the positive side of this supplement. It tastes great, mixes well, and it has protein. That's where it ends.

If you bought this protein chances are you bought it at Supplement Superstores in the Missouri area. There's also a good chance you were recommended it by one of the employees working there who used a lot of big words(cold filtered, FDA Approved, etc). What they left out was that they push 1st Phorm products so hard because it is THEIR brand. I tried this product and gained 0 results besides less money in my bank account. The next time I came in I got my regular ISO-100 and the employee questioned why I didn't want the $60 Phormula-1 protein. When I told him I saw no difference from my regular protein he blamed it on the fact that I wasn't stacking it with 1st Phorm's other product "Ignition" which is basically a postworkout carb(Gatorade powder is the same thing but cheaper.) I told him I didn't see $20 worth of results so there was no reason to pay any extra for it.

I don't recommend this product to anyone who doesn't want to overpay for a protein supplement. I had no gains off of this product and will not be using it again.

July 22, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Bcaa Profile
  • Foams Up
  • Full Of Artificial Additives
This was the first whey protein I had ever bought when I started working out. 1st Phorm puts out quality products that help with high performance exercise, the only downside of their company is that they are very expensive.

Value 7/10
Phormula-1 is a solid product with 23g of Hydrolyzed protein cooked at a low-temp to ensure little to no denaturation. With only 1g of carb you can rest easy that it is one of the purest proteins around. The biggest downside to this product is the pricing. 40$ for a 1.83lb tub, I have also seen pricing as high as 60$. Granted it does come with 32 servings, but it is still expensive in my book.

Mix-ability 8.5/10
I noticed when I poured a scoop of this in my shaker it began to dissolve on the spot. I was quite impressed with this. I later found out that it does clump up slightly but not noticeably. Phormula-1 goes down extremely smooth but does produce a large amount of foam at the beginning.

Taste 9/10
Phormula-1 is a great product that comes with great taste. I always stuck with Juicy Watermelon which tastes exactly like Watermelon Bubble Gum. The only downside to the taste of Phormula-1 is where it comes from, artificial flavoring. If you are looking to avoid artificial sugars then I would suggest you stay away from this product. It contains 3 artificial sugars, Acesulfame Potassium, Neotame, and Sucralose. It also contains yellow #5 and Blue #1. If you don't mind the use of artificial flavoring then this is the product for you.

Effectiveness 9/10
1st Phorm provides the consumer with a great hydrolyzed protein supplement. I noticed quicker recovery time. Increased strength gains, muscle gains, and endurance. It is one of the best whey proteins I have used during my training. It comes with 5g of BCAA but I wish they would specify what percentages. Overall it is a great protein supplement that is sure to turn heads.

Overall 8/10
Phormula-1 is a great hydrolyzed protein supplement that is sure to help you make strong gains with short recovery time. It is a great product to have if you are looking for a pure hydrolyzed protein. I would avoid it if you do not like artificial additives, or if you are on a budget.

3.0
  March 2, 2011

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Bcaa Profile
  • Keeps You Lean
Been using this product,ignition and their level 1 protein for 6 months so far. Bought it from supplement superstores in St.Louis,Mo.
I have to say they push this product HARDCORE! kinda like GNC pushes their Pro Performance line. They emphasize that the protein is "Cross-Flow Cold Process" to not damage protein structure.
Now for the review...taste of Phormula 1 is pretty bad to me. Both fruit punch and watermelon. I rotated between the two which helped. I used their glycogen product "Ignition" post workout with Phormula 1. It was effective with recovery. I was very disciplined with my diet and it kept me very lean while adding a small amount of mass. Some noticeable changes in the mirror also.
I also used DGC from AST and couldn't feel a difference between the two. Both did the job. For me, the results weren't worth the money. Each 2lb jug is around $43 and Ignition $15.
I'm going to a blend protein(with isolate first in the ingredients)and a plain Dextrose for my post workout supplement and daily supplement for a while and see what happens. Going to try Dextrose from Now foods and Gold Standard 100% Whey from ON.
See you in a couple of months!

March 11, 2010

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Bcaa Profile
I recently finished a tub of Phormula 1 Whey Protein Isolate and found it to be very effective in aiding recovery. It has a solid profile of BCAA with 5g per serving as well as 5g of glutamine. Downside is that there are only 32 servings per container with each serving giving 24g of Protein. It comes in at 98 calories with zero fat and 1g of carbs per serving. Another big positive is that it mixes very well even in a shaker cup and you dont get any clumps. Too pricey for me to go another round($42.00 per tub), but I would recommend trying it to anyone who has the resources. Its available in fruit punch and watermelon (I got samples of both and fruit punch was better to me.)and the taste was decent but certainly far from the best. Very good product as far as results though.