(Better than 79% in Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA)

BREACH is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by Redcon1. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA

January 11, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Hydrates
  • Improves Recovery
  • Longer Lasting Pumps
  • Could Use EAAs

RedCon1 is a company I've been really into lately. I noticed they had the fastest growth in under 2 years out of any company I have ever seen. They quickly rose to the rank of #3 on SR, and I couldn't figure out why. So, when Aaron Singerman himself sent me a tub of Breach to try out, I felt the need to write this review. I've used MRE in the past, and really enjoyed that product. So Breach was a great way to see what else they had to offer.

First things first... no proprietary blends. Nice to see companies being more transparent these days. At this point, I can't think of any product I'd willingly buy with a proprietary blend besides a legit bottle OG Jack3d, which at this point is a Unicorn.

To start, you have 5 grams of a 2:1:1 BCAA ratio. That is the best ratio for companies to use in my opinion. Typically, many companies that use higher leucine ratios do that to save them money, as Leucine is the cheapest bcaa out of the 3.

After that, we have 1 gram of coconut water powder. Great for hydration/electrolytes.

1 gram of Taurine, good studies for blood flow and some studies suggest it may be good for performance. Also, we have a gram of Glycerol Mono, which I am a big fan of. This ingredient really helps with cellular hydration and you see more and more of it in pre-workouts these days and for good reason. There are human studies on it, and I mostly get a longer lasting pump from it. There are also hydration benefits as well. It's actually a great ingredient for an intra, especially for those who have longer high-volume workouts. I hadn't seen this in other intra-workout products, so it was actually a way for me to test something new out.

One thing I'd like to see here is an addition of EAAs. With new research showing that too many BCAAs without EAAs may be counter-productive. RedCon1 let me know that they are coming out with an EAA product in the near future, so that's good news at least.

I had the Pineapple Banana flavor. It was more banana than pineapple by far. Some have compared it to banana runts. Since I have not had that in a very long time, I cannot really comment on that. Either way, the taste is very refreshing when you water it down, like I tend to do with all of my intra-workout supplements. It is not overly flavored either, which is nice.

Well, with the addition of GMS, you can expect a bunch of grit. There was a noticeable amount of grit on the sides of my shaker cup. No surprises, but I wonder how much GMS I'm missing out on.

One scoop during your workout mixed in water. Easy as it can be there.

Breach was nice to run. The biggest benefit I got out of it was the hydration. I had no issues with cramping, whether it be during cardio or lifting. That is something I look for most in my intra-workout products.

I tested this out with a pre-workout with no GMS added to it, and noticed that my pumps would last throughout my workouts just a bit longer. While I still recommend taking GMS pre-workout to let it absorb, if your workouts tend to be longer, sipping on GMS intra may be worth trying.

BCAAs are great for anti-catabolic reasons, so getting a dose of it during your workout makes sense. I won't really comment on recovery, as I feel there are too many factors that go along with that(sleep/overall nutrition/intensity for example).

I've seen this for as low as $25 on Amazon, I'd give this product a 9/10 at that price. However, you'll find this for $35 on most sites. Not the cheapest intra, but not the worst I've seen out there by any means. You have some electrolytes, glycerol, and taurine added to it. Taurine and electrolytes are simple add-ons, but glycerol mono kind of nudges the profile to an "above average" state, so I don't mind paying slightly more than your typically BCAA with nothing else added to it.

Side Effects

Conclusion

RedCon1 has a solid product with Breach. While it isn't too flashy as far as an intra goes, it still gets it right where it counts. A tasty intra-workout drink, that aids in hydration, performance, and pumps. While there are plenty of ingredients that could make this better, I'd consider Breach a staple if it had EAAs added to it.

Give it a shot if you like long high-volume workouts. The longer lasting pump is great, and you'll be less likely to cramp during that time.
  • Pineapple Banana: 8/10

Other Prices:
Ill Pump You Up   $24.95
Fitness First USA   $25.95
Best Price Nutrition   $34.99

November 9, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mixes Well
  • Hydrates
  • One Scoop Not Enough For Recovery

38 years old and I lift 4-5 days a week. I use BCAAs for recovery, and often times (depending on the brand) finding myself needing 5-10g per day. I have had brands in the past where 5g were all I needed and others where 5g was not enough! I have been running a very heavy REDCON1 stack, so this is the first review of many to come on my run! Lets see if Breach lived up to the expectations I had set for it.

Fully transparent label here, which is what we have come to expect from Supplement Companies these days. And in my opinion for a BCAA, you should not be throwing in too many prop blends unless its a special recovery formula.

BCAA (5g): We get 2.5g Leucine, and 1.25g of Isoleucine and Valine. Pretty standard 2:1:1 ratio. Leucine plays an important role in muscle protein synthesis, while isoleucine induces glucose uptake into cells. The Valine in the red headed step child here, as more research is needed to even know what this does for you. Valine just takes some BCAA credit while the true workhorses are Leucine and Isoleucine.

Coconut Water Powder (1g): This is here to give you some more hydration. Examine.com did a nice article on coconut water here https://examine.com/nutrition/coconut-water-overhyped-and-understudied/ All in all I like the addition here.

Glycerol (1g): According to WEBMD glycerol is taken by mouth for weight loss, improving exercise performance, helping the body replace water lost during diarrhea and vomiting, and reducing pressure inside the eye in people with glaucoma. Athletes also use glycerol to keep from becoming dehydrated. So basically this is another hydration enhancer and I could not find dosage recommendations, but I think the presence here is just fine.

Taurine (1g): Taurine is mostly used to reduce cramping caused by fat burners, like ephedrine. It also increases blood flow in diabetics. You do not want to exceed 3g of this daily, so 1g here is a nice dosage in case you are stacking this with other supplements containing Taurine.

Electrolytes (500mg): 340mg Potassium and 160mg Sodium. These exist to keep you hydrated as well, we all know what electrolytes are.

So with all the hydration support this makes for a great Intra-workout product. Pretty simple and common profile, but would like to see something added here like Astragin for delivery or instanized Amino's to make it stand out in the saturated market of BCAAs.

Taste: I bought the Tiger's Blood flavor. Honestly I really cannot pinpoint what this tastes like, but I thought it was pretty good. It has a tropical taste to it, so was refreshing post workout and during the day.

Mixability: Mixed well with 8-10oz of water for me. There was always a little bit of grittiness to my shakes at the end, but I am finding that common to the REDCON1 products no matter which I am taking. No real issues here.

Dosing: So this is where I had to play with this a bit to get true effectiveness. I started out with 1 scoop post workout and 1 scoop on rest days. However, I was finding this to not be sufficient enough so I moved to 2 scoops on workout days. This is obviously a great intra workout product, but I had a different flavor of Cluster Bomb for Intra, so did not want 2 shakes. Plus I really like to get re-hydrated post workout. The directions state "For maximum performance and hydration benefits, Mix (1) scoop of Breach with 8-10oz of Water and consume before, during, or after your training. For best results, consume (3) servings per day. On Non-training days, consume (1) serving upon waking." So pretty broad depending on the individual, but we will talk effectiveness below.

I like to measure out my BCAAs by recovery and hydration. Recovery wise, this did aid me without a doubt, however, I did find myself still slightly sore the next day. Once I moved to two scoops a day on training days it did eliminate that soreness. However, just coming off trying out Ronnie Colemans Amino-Tone where 5g a day completely recovered me, I was slightly dissapointed here. Amino-Tone showed me that I do not need 10g of BCAAs a day, I have a high protein diet as it is. So yes, Breach does and will aid you in recovery, but not much more than your average BCAA out there with 5g of BCAAs.

Hydration wise this worked great. After taking this I would have to hit the bathroom to pee almost every hour for a few hours. Annoying, sure, but seeing that clear urine (stating I am hydrated) after a heavy lift session is always a great feeling. Plus I do like getting that extra hydration boost in case I do not have time to chug 64oz of water.

Overall, yeah its effective for what its designed to be, but does not stand out in my eyes. I would expect more from a company like REDCON1, meaning I would expect a BCAA product that was more than average.

I actually got this as part of a buy 3 get 1 free deal. This was my freebie! This normally runs for $34.99 for 30 servings on the REDCON1 site itself and with the cheapest deal I could find for $27 on Amazon. For whatever reason you can actually get the Breach Ballistic (the one with caffeine) for $25, just find that weird since it has more ingredients in it. Anyways, with the Amazon deal it comes out to 90 cents a scoop. Not bad unless you have to take 2-3 scoops a day. Fairly average deal for an average product.

Side Effects

You may find yourself going to the bathroom a lot since you will be VERY hydrated after taking this.

Conclusion

I expected more from Breach, but this does work as intended. In the end, its your standard run of the mill BCAA product with some hydration support out there. It tastes great (as a BCAA should), so I would recommend this if you were thinking of trying this. There are other and better options out there, but it really depends on the consumer. I would like to see REDCON1 do something a little more to make this unizue, like add astra-gin or Instanized or fermented Aminos. This would also aid in the body recovering from the delivery of the Amino's. If you have been considering trying this, then I say go for it, its great intra or post workout.
  • Tiger's Blood: 8/10

Other Prices:
Ill Pump You Up   $24.95
Fitness First USA   $25.95
Best Price Nutrition   $34.99

May 18, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improves Recovery
  • Hydrates
  • Mixes Well
  • Slightly Expensive
I've been fortunate enough to get to try out several of Redcon1's products via the TROOP, this one however I opened up the wallet and spent my own greenbacks on to try out. BCAAs are one of my cornerstone supplements, and probably the supplement I use the most. One of the positives about BCAAs is you can take them pretty much any time and they are beneficial. Here's my breakdown on Breach:

2 scoop mixed with Redcon1's Cluster Bomb and taken as a peri/intra-workout drink. Better known as the "Gym 40".

Ingredient Profile (8/10)

A fairly simple formula with a few twists in this product, but sometimes simple is effective. Fully disclosed product label, so bonus points for that. This profile starts off with 5 grams of BCAAs per scoop in the traditional 2:1:1 ratio; 2.5 grams Leucine, and 1.25 grams of Isoleucine and Valine. 1 gram each of Coconut Water Powder and Glycerol for hydration support, 1 gram of Taurine for endurance support and a 400mg electrolyte complex of 240mg of potassium and 160mg of sodium.

I like the simplified approach to this product with the emphasis on hydration; this makes it an ideal intra-workout product.

Mixture (8/10)

As noted above I used this along with Redcon1's Cluster Bomb HBCD carbohydrate product. I mixed them both together with 40 ounces of water in my creation I dubbed the "Gym 40", which was nearly twice the amount of water called for the two products together. Since BCAAs tend to be a more fine powder that dissolves quickly the grit in my concoction I attributed to the HBCDs I was using with this, and I used this on its own a few times as well and it mixed just fine.

Taste (7/10)

I got the Strawberry Kiwi flavor in this product to coincide with the same flavor I got in the Cluster Bomb. Taste overall was decent, but not great. No terrible surprises or lingering aftertastes and the flavoring is mild and not overpowering.

Effectiveness (9/10)

This performed up to par with what a good BCAA should do for you when utilizing as an intra-workout. Improved recovery time and reduced rest breaks during workouts. I was pumping out workouts at or around the 2 hour mark during the course of my use with this product, and I experienced some excellent recovery periods. Definitely felt well hydrated as I was never really thirsty during my workouts, and made adequate stops at the urinal. I rarely ever went over the minute mark for rest breaks. On its own, it's great as a drink to sip on throughout your workout. Combined with Cluster Bomb this made for a superb peri/intra workout mix.

Value (7/10)

When I bought this, it was on a BOGOF at A1. But that deal has evidently come and passed. So the cheapest spot to nab this looks like Tiger Fitness at $32.49 for 30 servings, or $1.08 per serving. A decent price considering all you get, but perhaps slightly on the high side for a BCAA product.

Conclusion and Verdict

This is a legit and solid BCAA product either on it's own or stacked with HBCD or other carb energy source. Provides excellent recovery and hydration, and is easy to mix and drink. This gets a solid thumbs up and Shinndigg Seal of Approval!
  • Strawberry Kiwi: 7/10

Overall
Thanks to Redcon1 for sending it out!
  March 23, 2017

Introduction + Supplement facts
    Huge thank you to RedCon1 for their support of the SR Troops and the program. This is my 3rd review for a product that is made by redcon1. So far the other product that I've tried worked really well. This review is on their BCAA called breach. Like the other redcon1 breach is another full label discloser so you know what you're putting into your body. That's another reason why I really like this company and how they are not shy away from hiding the amount for each ingredient that is listed for their products.
    With breach you will get 5g of BCAA at 2.5g leucine, 1.25g of isoleucine, 1.25g of valine. For the total of 5g. Then you get coconut water powder at 1g. Coconut water helps with potassium and it's also a great source for staying hydrated. Then you have glycerol 1g for those extra carb sources. Taurine 1g which is another essential amino acid. Breach also gives you a good source of electrolytes with potassium at 340mg along with sodium at 160mg. To help keep you muscles good and hydrated during you intense training sessions. Redcon1 did another great job making sure you the consumer knows what you are getting with this BCAA product.

Taste + Mixability + Dosing.
    The flavor that I received was blueberry lemonade which tasted really good for a BCAA product. Hopefully they make a sour gummy bear flavor sometime in the future. Now I will say when you are mixing this it does get a little gritty. The only thing I could think of was from the coconut powder. But Other than that I didn't' have issues. Dosing was 1 scoop with 10 to 120z of water I usually mixed with a 33.8.z water bottle and it worked just fine.

Effectiveness 8.4/10
    Once again Redcon1 delivered on another solid product. This time the product is there BCAAs breach. And unlike a seawall the breach will not you down. The recovery aspect of breach was solid each and every workout and deliver like a charm. My DOMS really decreased from workout to workout while taking this product. The extra boost of coconut water along with the extra electrolyte blend really made a difference during the hot humid days where I would normally get muscle fatigue and tired beach kept me in check just like a quality seawall would. For me the only thing that could make this product any better would be if it the InstaAminos which seem to be more effective. Breach was still a great amino product along with giving you the extra benefits of making sure they you stay hydrated during your lifts. The glycerol was also came in handy for my intense training seasons where I was doing more high volume weights but with lower reps and more sets. The extra energy boost that I got made me want to train at the gym for a longer period of time then I normally would. I work two jobs so on certain days I don't a lot of time to lift. These are usually my most intense and best lifts. But these are also the ones that are taxing on my muscles. But with breach the recovery time really made a difference to make sure my muscle were ready to go. Overall breach is a great product that adds a little more than just BCAAs.

Value 8.2/10
    The cheapest place that I found once again was fastsupps.com where a 30 serving tub of breach is 31.99 which is a 1.06 per serving.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you're looking for a great all around complete BCAA then breach is really worth a try. This is a product that I will be trying again in the future. You get a great combination of BCAA and electrolytes which means less DOMS and soreness in-between your workouts.
    • Blueberry lemonade: 10/10