Z-Matrix Reviews

By: EVLution Nutrition

Growth Enhancers > Nighttime Sleep Formulas
Z-Matrix is a Nighttime Sleep Formula manufactured by EVLution Nutrition. It is designed to be used before bed time. It promotes restful sleep, increases REM sleep and helps the body attain an optimal state for muscle recovery and growth.

Overall
Overall
5.6
5.5
5.1
  March 12, 2019

Pros:
 Cons:

-----
    Update 03/15/2019:
    For those who don't know, unhelpful buttons were automatically saved after re-posting this review, so you should check whole thing once more, there is nothing unhelpful here anymore
    -----

After disapproving several times and lots of suggestions, I finally consumed Z-matrix as directed and here's my review.

I purchased Z-matrix from Bodybuilding.com, because it is bestseller and has pretty good reviews. Because of my busy schedule I don't have time to sleep more than 6-7 hours on workdays, thus I try to consume ZMA products on weekends or during lighter schedule, when I'm able to sleep nearly 9-10 hours. I have already consumed several sleep enhancers and used some information from their descriptions below.

Vitamin D3 25 mcg
    Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCl) 11 mg
    Folic Acid 100 mcg
    Magnesium (as Magnesium Aspartate) 450 mg
    Zinc (as Mono-L-Methionine and Aspartate) 30 mg
    L-Theanine 200 mg
    Black Pepper (Piper Nigrum) Fruit Extract (BioPerine) 5 mg

Multiple studies show that Insufficiency of Vitamin D and Vitamin B9 (folic acid) has been linked to insomnia and with less/more disrupted sleep too. Good levels of Vitamin B6 can help produce Serotonin, important chemical and neurotransmitter in the human body. It is believed to help regulate mood, appetite, digestion, sleep, memory and even sexual desire. Some studies report Insomnia is a common symptom of Magnesium deficiency and good levels of Magnesium can increase GABA. Bioperine is extracted from black pepper and has been used for many years to increase absorption of vitamins and nutrients. Zinc supports your immune system and muscles. Bioperine is extracted from black pepper and has been used for many years to increase absorption of vitamins and nutrients. L-Theanine is an amino acid found in green tea, which supports relaxation and focus.
    Daily dosage of L-Theanine is from 100 mg to 400 mg and 200 mg is safe. The RDA for magnesium is 310-420 mg and those who follow healthy diet, already absorb it from different foods, so 450 mg per portion is too much! No relevant caution for 5 mg Bioperine and 30 mg Zinc.

Here's one disadvantage: You have to drink four capsules every night before bed! It's not a joke... all capsules are relatively larger than average and you have to drink minimum 350-400 mg of water every night before bed, otherwise you can't swallow them. Are you sure this amount of water won't make you stand up in the middle of the night and use toilet? I'm not....

I've consumed Z-Matrix for several weeks and didn't feel significant restfulness and recovery after sleeping at least 8 hours. With other supplements I always woke up replenished, energized and with good mood, during this period I still felt a bit tired and lacked energy for whole day.
    I didn't try to increase dosage for only one reason: as already mentioned above, you have to drink four large capsules before bed, two servings would be 8 capsules before bed with nearly one liter of water! You have guarantee to stand up midnight and use toilet...

I purchased 60 Servings for $24.99 with bogo deal making it $0.42 per serving. Prices seems to be normal as Optimum ZMA costs $0.37, JYM ZMA costs $0.61 and BB Signature cost $0.43 Per Serving.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you can't sleep for more than 6-7 hours, don't waste your money on ZMA supplements that doesn't contain Melatonin and if you can sleep at least 7 hours, than such products will be better, as it's always good idea to let your body produce sleeping hormone by itself. I think this product is under-dosed and doesn't meet it's label. Everything listed in ingredients are wonderful and can definitely enhance your sleep and wake up recovered. Even tough this supplement is bestseller I definitely can't recommend it from my experience. I'll write review of other ZMA supplements later.

• MarsheS
      November 19, 2018

Why you bought this product?? I mean, with what purpose?

• kiborga
      November 19, 2018

MarsheS for what it has written to be. I got 120 servings for $25 with bogo deal. I go to sleep at 00:00 and wake up at 06:00 am... I really needed sleep support after late night workout

• MarsheS
      November 19, 2018 - Last Edited: 2018-11-19 15:28:52

That's where your mistake was. For you to feel ZMA products working, you have to sleep atleast 7 hours. You're sleeping 5 hours and a half. ZMA products make you sleep deeper, once you're already asleep. ZMA products DON'T induce you to sleep, that's what Melatonin does, and that's probably what you wanted this product to do.

That's why I can't find this review helpful. You put a lot of effort in this review though, that's why I won't click the Unhelpful button. IMO, you made a mistake.

You also mention late night workouts. You take any pre-workout and/or product with caffeine for working out?

• DaSlaya
      November 19, 2018

I agree with Marshes. I think an easy work around here is to state how many hours of sleep you normally get a night (no sleep aid) and if this increased or decreased your sleep quality. At least the user will know this is based off sleeping around 6 hours a night. Also a little more detail of why it is ineffective, such as it did not help me fall asleep, keep me asleep etc...