C4 Original Reviews

By: Cellucor

ARTICLES

C4 Original is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Cellucor. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.
6.8

6.2
  November 12, 2018

• Good Focus
  • Tolerance Rather Quick

C4 is a safe if not overwhelming choice for someone looking to try a pre-workout.

I'm new to writing supplement reviews, though I'm not new to trying supplements or to working out. I've trained for general wellness and slow strength gains for about 15 years. I was the kid that was super-skinny growing up and have made a good amount of slow progress over the years. I'll never be mistaken for the biggest guy in the room, but I've not gone down any sort of needle-based route to shortcut any success either. I take various vitamin supplements and, from a workout perspective, I'm usually taking some combination of a pre-workout, creatine, BCAA and having a post-workout protein shake.

While not going through the entire label, there were indeed a couple of things that I noticed. First, a 6.5g serving (one scoop) contains 1.6g of CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine. I noted above that I didn't get jitters or tingles with this and this dosage might explain why. WebMD suggested 3.2-6.4g when mentioning dosing of beta-alanine so, as other reviewers noted, it would be easy to argue that you're getting short-changed here.

I also noticed 150mg of caffeine anhydrous in a serving. Some people are very sensitive and/or opinionated when it comes to caffeine-based supplements. Critics are going to say that this is a low dosage. Advocates would simply say that this is a safe dosage. I don't drink a ton of caffeine during the typical day, so I'm fine with this amount even though others may say that it's too low for their liking.

There are probably a dozen or so flavors of C4 out there now. I've only taken the fruit punch (which is fair) and pink lemonade (which I would prefer of those two) in terms of taste. I'm not one to sip on a pre-workout, so I personally wouldn't discard a pre-workout on taste alone unless it were horrible! The packaging suggests one scoop with 6oz water, I typically take most of a scoop (maybe over 3/4, usually just short of 100% full) with 8-10oz water and I often mix in some flavorless creatine as well. I've never had any issues with getting it to mix easily with a few vigorous shakes in a water bottle. If you're using a shaker or blender, mixing should be very easy. I'm not a two-scooper, so you may have to check other reviews for feedback there.

As noted earlier, I don't get the jitter/tingle effect... which is fine with me as I'm not usually after that. I've gotten pretty accustomed to taking a pre-workout and I do think that I get some added energy and focus when taking this product. I'm often trying different products and if I've had a bad experience with one, I come back to C4 as somewhat of a baseline. If you're looking for a product that makes you want to bend a bar in half or run through the wall, this is not that product. Again, I can't speak for those who like to double up the suggested dosage, but a single scoop is enough for me to know that I took something to help me through a workout.

Like most of you, I buy it when I can find a decent deal and I usually go with the 60 serving size when purchasing. As of this writing, one of my favorite sites has C4 in the $40-42 range for the 60 serving size. I see that as a pretty good value for those in the single-scoop camp.

Side Effects

I've not experienced any side effects that I can quantify. In fact, I've attributed too-frequent kidney-flushing bathroom trips to other pre-workouts and I've not noticed C4 giving me any problems there.

Conclusion

If you're shopping for "C4" in the expectation of an explosion, you're probably going to be disappointed. If you're thinking of trying it out simply because it's a well-known pre-workout that has a generally good reputation for being safe and somewhat effective, then I'd say that you'll be pleased.
  • Fruit Punch: 6/10
  • Pink Lemonade: 8/10

Overall
Overall
6.7
6.4
  November 26, 2017

• Under Dosed

I've been going to the gym for 9 years and have had great gains. I've used a few pre workouts over the years. This isn't the best or strongest pre workout, and not the first I'd recommend to an experienced gym person, but this product is good for starters, who have never used a pre workout before.. Also, it isn't super high in caffeine like I've seen in some other pre workouts.

Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid) 250 mg 417%
Niacin (as Niacinamide) 30 mg 150%
Folic Acid 250 mcg 62%

Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxal-5-phosphate) 500 mcg
Vitamin B12 (as Methylcobalamin) 35 mcg
CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine 1.6 g
Creatine Nitrate (NO3-T) 1 g
Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate 1 g
Explosive Energy Blend (N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine, Caffeine Anhydrous (150mg), Velvet Bean seed extract, Theacrine (as TeaCrine) 425 mg

This product lacks good pre workout amino acids, it is under dosed in both it's beta alanine and creatine, and it has a proprietary "explosive energy blend".. This product has 150mg of caffeine in it, which I like, because it's not a super caffeinated pre workout.

I bought the fruit punch flavor.. It mixes pretty good, no problems there, and the flavor doesn't taste that bad.. It's not great tasting, but is tolerable. The dose is 1 scoop (6.5G).. Directions is to take 1 scoop in 4-6oz of water 20-30 minutes prior to training. If you build up a tolerance, you can take 2 scoops, but do not exceed 2 scoops in a 24 hr period according to directions.

This isn't as effective as other pre workouts, and I can't say this gave me super workouts, but this to me was equivalent to taking a red bull or drinking a cup of coffee before the gym. This was good at helping me to wake up when I'm tired after working, or when I just woke up a bit groggy and am going to the gym. This helped wake me up more for my workouts. It didn't give me as good a pump as other pre workouts, but it did increase my energy.

I bought 60 servings for $40 at Costco. I never exceed 1 scoop so for me it's a 2+ month supply for $40.

Side Effects

Just the tingling you get from the beta alanine.. I had this sometimes but not always. Other than that nothing else to report.

Conclusion

If you're either new to the gym, or new to pre workouts, this is a basic pre workout that's good for 1st time pre workout users.. This is a good pre workout to START with, get used to, and then move on to something better... or for my case, the opposite.. I've used better pre workouts, and have used pre jym for a while, and I then switched back to this pre workout, to get on something weaker, and make the transition to not using a pre workout anymore for a while. This is the last pre workout I used, as I wanted something alittle less, to slowly back off pre workouts. I currently am not using a pre workout, and am doing just fine without one, as I'm taking alittle time off from pre workouts.

The value on this product isn't bad, $40 for 60 servings is cheaper than a lot of other pre workouts, so it's not a bad value, however, you're also not getting much in this pre workout, so it's a good value in terms of price vs. the price of other pre workouts, but in terms of what you're actually getting in this product, 60 servings for $40 is the limit in my opinion, this product should maybe be alittle cheaper than that for what you're actually getting. But I wouldn't pay $1 over 40 for this product, and I'd only pay 40 for it if it was atleast 60 servings.

I DO like that this product isn't loaded with caffeine, as I've used other pre workouts with more than twice the caffeine of this product.

To end this off, good product for beginners, good gate way pre workout to other better stronger ones.
  • Fruit Punch: 6/10

5.8
  October 10, 2017

• Decent Pumps
  • Taste Could Be Better

My name is Blake Pullen and I am an Exercise Science major at Kennesaw State University.My current fitness goals involve a caloric surplus and "lean bulking" which is basically trying to put on about 1-2 pounds of lean muscle per month while limiting my fat gain as much as possible. I am also a supplement JUNKIE! Every single one of my friends has this pre-workout (most of which do not lift consistently), so I had to give the world's most mainstream pre-workout a try

For a workout that sells as good as C4 does I was definitely disappointed in the ingrediants. Everything is underdosed. The 2 grams of Beta-Alanine isn't bad by any means, however, it is below optimal clinical doses of 3-3.2g. I still like seeing it in the label though, along with Arginine, Taurine, and a single gram of creatine.
Calories: 5
Creatine Nitrate (NO3-T): 1g
Explosive Energy Blend 371mg -

Proprietary Blends
Explosive Energy Blend

Unfortunately, I had the fruit punch flavor (it was on sale and I now see why) and C4 Fruit punch is my least favorite supplement flavor that I've ever tried. I don't like fruit punch to begin with but the aftertaste in this blend made me feel like I was drinking medicine out of the cabinet. Taste 3/10
Mixibility was solid. I used my classic blender bottle shook for approximately 10-20 seconds and I never had any issues with clumping. Mix 8/10
Dosing: It was just too underdosed for my tastes. For all the hype and advertisements surrounding this product I was expecting a lot more before I even read the back of the label. 6/10 because it isn't bad but it's not great by any means.

I did receive a little jolt of energy that lasted for most of my workout. It's definitely not the best thing I've ever had but it did the job... for MOST of my workout. I felt it leaving my system around the 1-hour mark so I was a little disappointed there as I look for pre-workouts to fuel me through my workout in its entirety. Thus the endurance aspect of this pre was also short-lived. The pump was almost nonexistent, that aspect of it made me feel like I wasn't taking a pre-workout. It would be much better with more clinically dosed pump formula containing citrulline or another pump specific ingredient

You can currently get 30 servings of C4 Gen 4 for $15 at A1supplements.com
At 50 cents per serving, I think that this is a very good value even with it being underdosed. It is very economical. Value 7/10

Side Effects

NONE, I wish i would've had Beta-Alanine tingles (I did after taking 2 scoops however)

Conclusion

C4 is an overhyped pre-workout that is best for beginners or people new to the world of pre-workout. It isn't bad, It's just not great! Overall is a 6/10 pre workout at an economical price.
  • Fruit Punch: 2/10

5.5
  May 13, 2017

• Tart Taste

I am a college student that has been lifting for a few years and has become really interested in nutrition, supplements and food intake in our lifes.

Starting from the top we got ourselves a 6.5 g scoop made of:

- Beta-Alanine (1600mg): Half of the clinical dose, you will get the full effect if you double scoop. B-Alanine has been shown to enhance muscular endurance, specially being able to perform 1 to 2 reps more when staying at an hypertrophy range (8 to 15 reps). It's remarkable to say that it's Carnosyn Beta Alanine so it's the highest quality available.

- Creatine Nitrate (1g): The problem with this dosage is that it's underdosed again, right dose would be between from 2 to 3g. Nitrate is supposed to aid creatine and get you more of a result combined with pumps and vascularity, as we know, creatine increases power output and has minor increases in lean mass and anaerobic running capacity.

- Arginine AKG (1g): Standard pre workout dose is 3 to 6 g. Outdated nitrix oxide booster, most companies have moved to agmatine but it seems like Cellucor is still stuck in the past.

- Explosive energy blend (321g) [Caff. anh. 160 mg, L-Tyrosine, Teacor Tetramethyluric acid]: Cellucor only disclosed the ammount of caffeine, which is 160mg. L-Tyrosine minimum dose is between 100 to 150 mg and Teacor min. dose is around 200mg. So one of them (or both) are severely underdosed. Caffeine is a powerful stimulant and it can be used to improve physical strength and endurance. It is classified as a nootropic because it sensitizes neurons and provides mental stimulation. L-Tyrosine is a mental booster, assists with mental focus and Teacor is very similar to caffeine except that you don't build a tolerance to it as fast, you don't crash as hard and you don't get jitters.

- Vitamin C (250mg): Good dose of vitamin C, it helps your body absorb those active ingredients.

- B Vitamins (Niacinmide (30mg), Vitamin B6 (500mcg), Folate (150mcg), Vitamin B12 (20mcg): All of them help offset the "high" you get from the stimulants to ensure that you don't experience any post workout bad mood or any post workout crash.

- It comes in a bunch of flavors: Cherry Limeade, Fruit Punch, Green Apple, Icy Blue Razz, Orange Burst, Pink Lemonade, Strawberry Margarite, Watermelon. I have tried some flavors, Watermelon tastes like a jolly rancher, same with green apple. Strawberry Margarita has a nice and refreshing taste to it.

- Mixability is great across all Cellucor supplements so this isn't different. You can mix it up pretty easily with a glass and a spoon.

- Dosing is tricky, if you are not used to taking pre workout 1 scoop would be ok, if you are a regular using 2 scoops should do the job and 2 scoops is where the full dosages start to show up as well.

I'm gonna break it down based on the scoops I've taken:

- 1 scoop: Like I said before, a lot of the ingredients in one single scoop are underdosed, in my case this resulted in low to mild energy, caffeine low content doesn't give a boost and Teacor seems a bit compromised because of its low dosage as well. Strength was okay even though creatine content falls short. "Incredible pumps" don't live to their own expectations, you may get a bit of a pump going but it's NOT skin tearing like some other products. Focus is not there either. Endurance is ok, half the standard dose of beta alanine gives a bit of an edge when going for a long working set. However, if you have never taken a pre workout this is gonna give you an energy rush and a bit of focus.

- 1.5 scoops: Things start to get interesting here, you start to hit almost the recommended dose on everything. Energy gets better, caffeine hits harder and TeaCor hits for longer. Definitely a strength and muscle power improvement, being able to hit one more rep always feels great. Pumps get a bit better but it's nothing mindblowing, same as focus, no "tunnel vision" but you are slowly getting in the zone. Endurance increases as well and tingles come back if you've never taken that big of a dose. If you're somehow used to taking preworkous this would be your starting point.

- 2 scoops: Here is where the magic happens, but the magic comes with a dilema. If you take a 2 scoop serve you are gonna hit a clinical dose of almost every single ingredient. For me, this translated into a nice tingling feeling from Beta-Alanine that comes with a huge increase in muscle endurance and a huge decrease in fatigue. Pumps were bigger and harder, muscle power increased as well = more reps when going for new PRs. Vitamins had a huge role as I didnt experience any crash. BUT, you are hitting 320 mg of caffeine PLUS a huge dose of TeaCor and that is too much caffeine. Energy for me was clean, through the roof and long lasting (I have a high stim tolerance), focus, however, was severely compromised and nothing to write home about.

Bottom line, if you are sensitive to caffeine and you hit 2 scoops you are gonna feel jittery and maybe crash. You have to find a nice balance between your stim tolerance and the right ammount of incredients that do the trick for you, here is where the incognita of the product lays.

it all comes down to your tolerance, if you can only tolerate 1 scoop the value is great, it's a cheap preworkout and available worldwide so its easy to get your hands on. On the other hand, once you start digging in the 1.5 scoops or 2 scoops the value decreases. Price varies between 19.99-29.99, if you double scoop it you are getting 15 servs for that price and it's not a good value for money. It all comes down to your expectations.

Side Effects

I built tolerance to it so quickly that it started becoming ineffective after a few days plus it's pricey for two scoops and focus wasn't there. You have to play with the dosages if you want the right ammount of stims and right ammount of the rest of ingredients and you may not be looking to do maths every single day you want to take it.

Conclusion

Not the best product on the market nor the best effective. However, I WOULD recommend it if you want to get started in the world behind pre workout supplements as it's a good start point. If you already know how this "world" works, skip this one and get a stronger/higher dosed preworkout.

April 6, 2016

• Added Strength
  • Great Focus
  • Taste Could Be Better

It has been a long while since i trained "seriously" in the gym, due to loss of motivation and general stall for my gym passion.
So i decide order couple of supps to give me a kick in the arse and help me out , and what's better than a good Pre `? The holy grail before hitting the gym and after a boring day in the office.

I actually tried Cellucor C4 years ago , and i was NOT impressed at all.... i was rather mediocre back then ( sorry no idea what exact ingredient profile it was ).

I've chosen to give it another chance , because it was on sale on A1supp at a good deal.

Ingredient Profile 9/10

Beta Alanine 1,6 g
Rather unique here is the inclusion of 1 g Creatine Nitrate . Beside the benefit of creatine, you also get a great pump thanks to the nitrate.
1g Arginine AKG is pretty an "oldschool" ingredient for pump and some consider it outdated. Still, i get a solid pump from A AKG !
And here comes the bomb , this is truly an explosive and effective blend :
N-Acetyl-L-tyrosine, Caffeine Anhydrous (150mg), Velvet Bean (Mucuna pruriens) seed extract, (standardized for L-Dopa), TeaCor Tetramethyluric Acid.

Talking to my friend that studies at University Pharma science , told me that this particular blend kicks up Noradrenaline... causing quite a big rush in energy and also aggression.
The energy blend is just right so you can dose it right and not over stim yourself !

The only thing i miss in here : Agmatine. my favorite ingredient for maximal pumps.

Taste/Mixability/Dosing 8/10

I recommend absolutely to start at 1 scoop or even half, since the energy blend really kicks in strong as hell.
After getting more used to the product, ideal dosing is 2 servings. So you have a more effective dose of Beta alanine / Creatine / Arginine AKG ... and my personal bliss point of caffeine = 300 mg

Mixability is perfect. Taste... well pretty damn strong and rather artificial taste.. Let's say acceptable.

Effectiveness 9.3/10

Excellent in all aspects, it really surprised me. Energy , focus and aggression is top notch! i could push harder and longer, with sky high motivation.
Very solid and long lasting pumps. Even through 2 hours of workout, there is no decline in it's effectiveness. ( time to time i do weight lifting session followed by 1 hour JKD )

--> To keep the products effectiveness at it's peak, i tried to take it maximum 2 time per week. So my body can't build up too much tolerance to the energy blend. <--

Value 6.5/10

I got it on sale , 45 USD for 2 bottles.
Considering the ideal dosage for me is 2 servings , that's only 15 per bottle !

Personally worth it since it's very effective and i use it with moderation. But value could be much better !

Side Effects 4/10 ( lower is better )

2 Scoops --> The strong energy blend can make it very hard to fall asleep if taken too late... and couple hours after taking it you will have a hard time to "get it on" with a female companion. ( oh yes the stim wiener )
The sides depend on your dosing and person tolerance.
So if you are stim sensitive, use with caution and moderation.

Conclusion 9/10

By far my favorite recent Pre Workout product. Absolutely excellent and effective. The only downside is the value which is pretty bad, especially if you use it with consistency 3-4 times a week.

February 11, 2016

• Causes Flare Ups

Hey guys this is my 2nd review on SR. I have quite a few more to come in the following months as i am currently taking NutraBio's BCAA, Swanson probiotics, D-Pol, Inhibit-E, ON 100% Whey Gold Standard, ON ZMA, and iSatori PreGro. As a layman I try to do as much research and forum shopping on sites as i can to ensure the products i'm getting are worthy to try.

Some of the usual suspects for PWO. Beta-Alanine, Caffeine, Creatine Nitrate, Arginine, Prop Blend titled "explosive energy blend", Niacin, and Vitamins B and C. Also, new to C4 Gen 4 compared to its predecessor is TeaCore or Theacrine. Theacrine is a natural substance found in plants that has similar stimulant effects like caffeine. A source i found said that unlike caffeine, users of theacrine do not experience a tolerance build up. To get some more info about the stimulant check out https://blog.priceplow.com/theacrine. The site cites their sources of info which is nice.

I actually enjoyed the taste of fruit punch. Compared to most supplements i have tried, this flavor is actually dense. I grew up on Kool-Aid that was so dense with sugar it was basically syrup and i loved it; the fruit punch was nostalgic for me when i use to get a red lip mustache. The powder mixed well and i did not have to shake my bottle like a shaker weight to ensure everything had dissolved.

I use to love the nose candy. So that's what all pre workouts get compared to. And the C4Gen4 in comparison to my old habits looks like a field mouse compared to a grizzly. When i first started taking C4 i really liked it. When the beta alanine kicks in you think your about to go king kong on the weights. But it all seems to be pixie dust or fools gold. Just when you think you have something special going on, you let the rubber meet the road and there's no horsepower. It all seems like the revving of the engine, but no go when you see the green flag. I think i would rather take some coffee and sugar. This PWO also starts to lose its weak magic a few weeks after using it. I started to feel NOTHING after 3-4 weeks.

Since i bought this at Costco i did get a good deal. Its usually marked at about $40 for 2 tubs of 30 servings a piece (so $40 for 60 servings). Right now its on sale for $32. The price is great but i just don't believe in the product. It may be a decent grab for someone just starting out and wanting to try a PWO.

Side Effects

Wears off quickly. I also have Ulcerative Colitis and this made me regular like crazy. It got to the point where i knew the product was causing my colitis to flare up and i was bleeding sometimes when shitting. Not Cool. Not Fun.

Conclusion

I wont be buying C4 again unless i am hard up for money. With the info i have obtained through the years and from research on SR, i am past the rookie stage of using this PWO.

Overall
Overall
4.6
4.6
4.2
  October 20, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Endurance
  • No Focus
Cellucor's Preworkout; C-4. Admit it; you've taken some version of it, at some point in time. At least it seems like that, to me! If you are unfamiliar with this product, or Cellucor as a company, just walk into any GNC, or Wal-Mart. Or a Costco. Or open a health magazine! Like I said in my last review of their SuperHD Fat-Burner; Cellucor, for being such a well-known company, doesn't need to provide us Trooper reviewers with product to try. But they did, and for that I am grateful! This isn't my first experience with C-4. About two years ago, I bought the Costco Twin-Pack for $38, and enjoyed it - at first. I quickly built up a tolerance, and the combined 60 servings disappeared much faster then I would've liked. I thought maybe this version would be different, there's only one way to find out.

PROFILE- 5.5
Nothing mind-blowing here, just some usual preworkout staples, and one "Explosive Energy" blend. Plenty of B & C Vitamins, 1.6g of Beta-Alanine, 1g of NO3-T Creatine Nitrate, and a gram of Arginine AKG. That aforementioned Energy Blend has Velvet bean, Acetyl-L-Tyrosine, 150mg of caffeine, and that Teacor stuff that's been showing up in many supplements lately. I do like the full caffeine disclosure, but 150mg is not exactly gonna rock your world. I would've liked to see 200mg of caffeine; at least it would look better on paper (and be legit at 2 scoops). The whole blend looks underdosed, in my opinion.

I had the Blue Raspberry flavor; at one scoop it was pretty tasty, and reminded me of fruity pebbles cereal. At two scoops it would make your face pucker!!! I'd take a drink; make a face, then add more water. Then take a drink, make a face, and again add more water! It mixed fine, just some minor settling. And LOTS of dye!!! Seriously, I was afraid this would stain my teeth.

EFFECTIVENESS- 4.5
The first couple of days taking this, I went with only one scoop, and felt just a mild tingle from the Beta-Alanine, and a slight boost from the caffeine. So I upped the dose to 2 scoops. For about a week, I was surprised by the decent energy and strong tingles, and had some good workouts. But that feeling subsided, and I grew a tolerance real quick. It tapered off to just an "ok" boost of energy, maybe comparable to a cup of coffee. A week after this, I could hardly feel the caffeine at all. I never did 3 scoops. What did stay consistent was the Beta-Alanine tingles; they felt strong from the first scoop to the last. I experienced zero pump effects during my workouts. This is quite surprising, since at 2 scoops I was getting 2 grams of Arginine AKG. I didn't feel any "locked in" tunnel vision either. The Beta-alanine did a good job of buffering lactic-acid, so it had that going for it.

SIDE EFFECTS-7
I peed a lot. Like clockwork, two hours after taking it and working out, I'd pee like a friggin racehorse. It was almost as bad as drinking Bud Light! Other than this, I had no jitters or shakes. No insomnia if I took it later in the afternoon. No stomach issues from this.

VALUE-4
Average price is 30$ for 30 scoops, right about on the money for industry standard. I searched extensively online for any deals; there were none. It's still at Costco; $38 for 2 cans, for a total of 60 servings. But I dosed it at 2 scoops, which really impacted the value of this. This can didn't even last a month. A 45 serving can for $30 would really help stretch this out, and give the "illusion" of a better value.

OVERALL- 4
With so many other options available, I'd be hard pressed to buy or recommend this. A few months ago, I reviewed EVLution Nutrition's ENGN preworkout pretty harsh, but I'd pick that over this. Maybe to someone who's getting their feet wet in the preworkout game, might want to start with this. I'd still point them to that Costco twin-pack. This will be my personal opinion only; but if I wanted to improve this product, I'd improve the N.O. boosting with Agmatine and/or Citrulline, maybe even Glycocarn, too. The caffeine would be at 200-225mg. maybe a Nootropic agent for improved focus. Lets be honest though; Cellucor sells their NO3 Chrome pump product, and its getting rave reviews. Why add to this when you can pay for it separate? Now, I haven't tried, or even looked at the label for their C-4 50x, so I don't know if it has any of my suggestions. But based on my personal experience, I'd pass on this.

October 19, 2015

• No Focus
Cellucor C4 is one of the most popular preworkouts on the market and comes in a variety of flavors.

It brings me back to the good old days of when I first started lifting. My lifting buddy and I would go to the nearest GNC and grabbed two C4's. It was what everyone was taking in my high school gym. I thought it was the best and the only preworkout I'd ever try in the world. But looking back, was it really that great or was it overhyped?

150 mg of caffeine anhydrous. I personally feel that this is under dosed. I would like to have seen this closer to the 200 mg mark.

1.6 g of beta alanine. Also under dosed in my opinion. The way to tell if this works is if you feel the tingles. I no longer feel the tingles. I usually take about 2-3 grams of beta alanine before my workouts.

1 g of creatine nitrate. This is creatine bonded to a nitrate and is supposed to increase a pump. However one gram is very low. 3 grams is recommended when using creatine nitrate. So Cellucor also under dosed this.

Cellucor included a blend of 371 mg. They have provided the caffeine amount, yet have kept hidden the amount of the other ingredients. Below I discuss some of the ingredients in the blend.

N-Acetyl-L-tyrosine: amino acid. Effective for mental performance, memory, improving alertness, and exercise improvement.
Caffeine anhydrous: caffeine without water
Velvet Bean (Mucuna pruriens) seed extract: contains L-Dopa. L-Dopa is converted into the chemical dopamine in the brain. Dopamine is an important brain chemical involved in mood, sexual desire, and body movement.
TeaCor Tetramethyluric Acid: aka Theacrine. It is a alkaloid similar to caffeine and taken from certain plants. It acts similar to caffeine but without building up a tolerance level.

We know that in the blend it is 371 mg total. In proprietary blends, the ingredient that was included the most is first. So since N-Acetyl-L-tyrosine is listed first, we know that it has to have more or equal to caffeine (150 mg). That leaves roughly about 71 mg for velvet bean and TeaCor. Hopefully there is enough TeaCor in here to really have an effect.

Taste A
Cellucor always seems to nail their flavors. I have tried both fruit punch and green apple of C4. Fruit punch tastes like fruit punch. Nothing special, kinda too sweet tho. Green apple tastes like a green apple jolly rancher with some tartness. Would recommend both though.

Mixability B+
It mixes well, most of the time. You could mix this in a water bottle even. However sometimes I experience a gritty taste. Other than that it is fine.

Dosing C
One scoop just does not cut it. And I feel that the key ingredients have been under dosed. I ended up taking 2 scoops of this every time I needed it.

Effectiveness C
Is it effective? The first tub was but after that not really. I did not feel enough energy. I did not feel any focus, nor did I feel the tingles. I have never experienced a significant increase in pumps.

Value B+
It is a great value if you want an under dosed pre workout. For 30 servings, its about $30. So a buck for a scoop. If you take two scoops everytime, it would be $2 for 2 scoops. I would rather spend my money somewhere else for a better pre workout.

Side Effects
I have not experienced any stomach pain or anything. The only problem is that the tolerance level builds up fast after awhile.

Conclusion
If you are new to pre workouts, this would be a good one for you. You can get to know the effects of each ingredient and how you react to each ingredient. You will know if you want a stimulants or beta alanine in your pre workout. If you've been taking pre workouts for awhile, this is not the product for you. It will leave you disappointed.
  • Green Apple: 9/10
  • Fruit Punch: 8/10

Overall
Overall
3.0
3.5
  October 13, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Bad Side Effect
  • No Endurance
As always I want to give a big shoutout to Cellulor and the SR Troops community for the opportunity to give this PWO a try.

I have always been a fan of cellulor because they usually deliver some solid products. However, in this case, this turned out to be a total dud. And an expensive dud at that.

From the cellulor.com website
Explosive Energy*
Intense Focus*
Unbelievable Muscle Pumps*
Award Winning Brand*
Unforgettable Flavors*

Based on this and their past success I expected a clear winner in this category, however, I was very quickly disappointed. Like a guy thinking he got some sexy nookie the night before, only to awake to a hideous beast in bed.

Ingredients: 2/10 - Severely under-dosed in my opinion. I didnt feel like there was anything that really stood out. Argenine was under-dosed, the caffeine was under-dosed. Yes some people might not want a ton of caffeine but then the energy should come from other means. Or you would have to double up the scoops, which is what I did.

======================================

Dosage: 10/10 - Dosing was standard. 1 scoop 30 minutes before a workout. I ended up doing 2 scoops because I felt absolutely nothing at 1 scoop.

======================================

Taste: 8/10 - The taste was actually very refreshing. It was not too tarty or to sweet, it was just right. Very enjoyable drinking this as a PWO. I believe this is the only thing that Cellulor got right with this product.

======================================

Effectiveness: 3.5/10 - Giving this a 3.5 is being sincerely generous on my part. It did not hit many categories for me in any sort of effectiveness. Who knows maybe if I did 5 scoops at a time, I would have felt something, alas, I did not not feel like taking a trip to the ER so I kept it to the max 2 scoops.

Energy: 1/10 - The energy was so weak as if I did not take anything at all. After the first day I went 2 scoops a day. I felt very sluggish and very tired on this product. I would yawn every 2 minutes and I had to muster up my own mental energy to get through the workout. I remember when I used to take C4 in the past at 2 scoops I would get the tingles and then just get into that workout. This however, did nothing in increased energy levels.

Pump 0/10 - Pump ? What pump. This surprised me because I did a lot of high reps super sets so the pump should have been there regardless. But alas again nothing. Its as if this even went along the lines of hindering the pump. I don't know what more I can say, but there was no pump whatsoever.

Focus: 2/10 - Focus ? eh, instead of going through the workout at a focused state, I was always distracted by people and noise around me. Maybe its my personal ADD kicking in, or maybe its the lack of focus you get on this product. Either way, fail.

Endurance: 0/10 - Dear Cellulor, could you at least have given me some endurance to get going through the workouts. Nope, not even there. It was basically like taking a bad placebo.

======================================

Value: 6/10 - Eh the value is descent. $25 for 30 servings. However, here is where the problem lies. Unless you're a newbie to the supplement world, you would have already built up some tolerance to a product, which means you would double scoop this bad boy. Which gives you about 15 servings to be generous. For a product that does not deliver, I would not even pay $.50 to be generous.

======================================

Overall: 3/10 - Very disappointed with this product. Who knows maybe its just my tolerance, but I would not give this shot again.

October 6, 2015

• Good Focus
Introduction:

I would like to thank the SR Troops program and Cellucor for the opportunity to try the new C4 generation 4 series pre-workout formula.

Pre-workout supps are a staple for me, especially when training at 4:30am 4-5 days per week. I have purchased both previous C4 formulas in the past, the initial one with the Dymeth and the re-formulated one without it. As a result, I can provide a pretty good comparison of all 3 formulas I have tried in the past.

My tolerance to stimulants is very low, 300 mg of caffeine is the max I would go with any pre-workout formula. In the past, I have probably used a few dozen different brands, with varying effects. I have my go to products and I have products that just didn't agree with me in which I have crashed after use of them

Ingredient Profile:

Pretty standard pwo. This formulas has two specific changes. They increased the caffeine 15 mg and added a new ingredient called Theacrine aka TeaCor.

Also, to note, it has 1.5mg of beta alanine, 1mg of creatine nitrate and 1 gram of arginine AKG.

Taste:

I had the fruit punch flavor. It was good, nothing to write home about. The flavor itself was quite tart tasting for me, as I have found a similar tart tasting flavors with all the prior C4 versions I have tried. Taste in a pwo isn't a deal breaker for me, as long as the product is effective.

Mixability:

The product mixed decent on 6 ounces of water with a spoon. As I increased the dosage and ounces of water to 8-10 ounces, I noticed more residue at the bottom of my cup, regardless of the additional water.

Dosing:

Started out with one scoop and gradually worked my way up to two scoops, as I became tolerant to the product after a week of use. The dosing increased in 1/4 scoop increments, up to two scoops. I took the product always 20-25 minutes prior to lifting. The tub I received has 60 servings.

One scoop was the equivalent to about 1.5 cups of coffee for me. I would call it wake up energy, especially early in the am. After a week I upped it to 1.25 scoops, 1.5, 1.75 and ultimately 2 scoops for the final 10 days of the product. Each bump up in dosage kept me with good energy, alertness and decent focus throughout the duration of the product. I would rate the energy a 7.5 of 10, good, not great. Hence the beginner pwo opinion for this product. Didn't really see any increased pumps when using just the pwo and no pump products.

Value:

The 60 serving tub can be purchased for around $35 to $40. At $40, its .66 per serving, two scoops is about 1.32 per serving. Decent value and this product can be had via bogo or bogo 50% off.

Side Effects:

No side effects, no crash after each use of this product, even at 2 scoops.

Conclusion:

C4 Gen 4 was a good product. I would recommend it for a beginner that has never tried a pre-workout before and is looking to get his/her feet wet with stimulant based pre-workouts, or someone that has a low stim tolerance in general. The product does lose its punch after about a week and I had to increase the dosage each week, through the end of the tub.

I would buy the product in the future, based on value and probably after a 2 week break from stimulants.