100% Whey

By: Optimum

100% Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Optimum. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Does 100% Whey work?
AestheticsUK
  March 8, 2014

Now this one will be controversial, probably unpopular, upset a few people, but I am honest and true to my opinion and knowledge base.

I know there are SO MANY reviews of this product, purely because of how popular and well established OPTIMUM are and how established this product is in general.

I would like to point out that this product is the highest selling whey product that we stock in our store - so its not as though there is any bias against this product on a personal level.

I used a tub purely because we had a bunch of them here in stock and it is something I have always wanted to give a go, despite never being 100% persuaded by what is on the back of the label...

With that said it has puzzled me how so many mediocre products over the years seem to be so popular and desired despite alternatives being there that work out much better in my opinion.
Its like Maximuscle - somehow marketisation and labeling seems to mesmerise the general customer into parting with far more cash than they need to....

I am entirely honest to customers - time and again customers come into the store and say "Gold standard is your best whey isnt it...." - and I say "No not in my opinion" - yet they ignore the experienced person and hold onto their own preconception of what makes a product good or not...

My reasons for this kind of view are as follows:

For reference I am putting up the nutritional information:

Per 100g /Per 31g scoop / %RI* per serve:
Fibre: 0g / 0g / -
Protein: 78.4g / 24.3g / 49%
Salt: 0.928g / 0.288g / 5%
Sodium: 371mg / 115mg / -

a) The concentration of Protein types/sources/ratios.
b) The extraction processes involved in sourcing the protein that has gone into this powder.
c)The relevance/quality of additional extras (eg. Glutamic acid).

- These are criteria that average gym users and customers will completely overlook, assuming that 'protein per serving' is THE most relevant determinant in whether a protein powder is good or not- which unfortunately reflects a lack of understanding of this industry and health/fitness in general. Average/unadvanced users tend to just associate any form of progress with one thing - "Oh it must be the creatine" - "Oh it has to be Gold standard whey that has worked...." and therefore they put all their eggs in one basket and pre decide that they HAVE to use THAT product again and again to see results. Its the same when something goes wrong "Oh it must be the Reflex whey that made me fat...." and never touch Reflex ever again. They dont accommodate for the dozens of other variables in effect whilst using supplements or training programmes - and are unaware that it might not have REALLY mattered WHICH whey protein they used - their body may have grown and developed regardless... (I know I am digressing a little bit - but I am just highlighting the point that sometimes TOO MUCH emphasis is put on a product being the main driver of results - this is exactly what supplement companies WANT the perception to be...)

c) Cost - of course.....

Lets start with some positives on PAPER:

Yes - ON Gold standard has 24g of protein per 31g serving. That means it IS lean and high protein per serving and a good ratio of protein per powder - meaning less wasted powder on PAPER.

It DOES contain whey isolate (an even faster acting source of protein than whey concentrate with an even HIGHER Bioavailability value than whey concentrate).
It DOES contain Hydrolysed whey - which is an even smaller micro nutrient version of whey protein that is even FASTER than whey isolate as it is pre broken down to the smallest and easiest absorbed protein/peptide building blocks for recovery and repair.

It DOES contain 5g + of BCAAs (very specific amino acids relevant for protecting, repairing and building muscle tissue - especially during and after training).
It DOES contain 4g of Glutamine and Glutamic acid per serving (Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in muscle tissu, is involved in the synthesis of many of the bodie's hormones including Growth Hormone and IGF - and is even recommended for burn victims and muscle wasting patients to help muscle repair and immune system).

It mixes well, has good enzymes for absorption and digestion leaving it unlikely to upset your stomach.

The taste I cannot fault - the cookies and cream I had was possibly in the top 5 shakes I have ever tasted and the product line has a massively extensive, interesting and unique flavour range which makes this a good product for those who want to stick to it but like a change of flavour each month as it would take a year to get through them all...

So by looking at those positives so far my review probably looks a little bit contradictory no?

Well all of this looks great on PAPER and is probably a large reason why the product can be classed as a GOLD STANDARD product.

However after taking a DEEPER look than just whats on the surface here are my problems:

Problem ONE - ION EXCHANGE FILTRATION PROCESSES:

Now our OLD tubs specified that SOME of the protein was cross flow filtered and that some was Ion Exchange.
The NEW tubs tell us NOTHING of how any of this protein is processed.... which I DO NOT LIKE.

In Ion exchange filtration processes Hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide are used during this process which of course makes the process ACIDIC and if you know much about protein you will know that HEAT or ACIDITY can DENATURE the protein - preventing our enzymes from effectively binding and breaking it down into usable amino acids - therefore in other words leaving it with reduced or in some cases entirely diminished use to the body for repairing or building muscle.

There is no way of knowing how MUCH of the protein in your tub may have been denatured unless the manufacturers can give you a percentage of the protein that has undergone ion exchange and then do tests on their powder to see how much the process has actuality damaged in reality.

Either way you may well not be getting 24g of usable protein per serving afterall....

Therefore whenever I select a product for myself I opt for: COLD FILTERED, ULTRA FILTERED or CROSS FLOW FILTERED protein and a good protein company will always be honest about how their protein is processed.

ON Gold standard give no ratio of their protein sources either....
It claims that WPI (whey protein Isolate) is 'PRIMARY SOURCE' - yet give no percentage. 51% would make it the primary source - but that's just a good Whey isolate/concentrate blend - not a WPI per say....

Since Whey Isolate in theory is faster acting, is leaner with less of the lactose/sugar/fat from milk than whey concentrate and is of course much more EXPENSIVE - you would hope that you really are getting a much higher ratio of Isolate than Concentrate. The biolavialbility value of whey is 104 - wheras Isolate has been measured to go up to as much as 143.... just to give you an idea of the quality of WPI vs Concentrate.

Glutamic acid is NOT L-Glutamine so saying there are 4gs of Glutamine/Glutamic acid per serving isn't so helpful

Our containers only provide a breakdown according to category found within the AMINO ACIDS PROFILE for this powder (Essential; Conditionally essential; Non Essential). Why can they not just provide a fully comprehensive list like many other brands do???

Therefore we cannot even tell how much of that 'Glutamine/Glutamic acid' is in there.
It could be 3.9g glutamic acid and .1g Glutamine for all we know....

5.5g BCAAs - ok so we trust that 5.5g of our 3 super aminos are in there which is good - but then I think ......well:

Most decent protein powders offer between 4-8g BCAAs per serving.... and I could go buy my regular 100% WHEY ISOLATE product (which has at least 5g BCAAS per serving) ALONG WITH 250g of BCAA POWDER and still be under the cost of the GOLD STANDARD...........
In fact my WHEY ISOLATE costs £57 for FIVE KILOS
GOLD STANDARD is £50 for TWO KILOS

Granted whey isolate is very expensive and I am lucky to have found a source so affordable.. so I cannot be TOO critical on OPTIMUM alone for having a costly product if the main source really is WPI.

However-

- If you know where to look and know enough about
nutrition, health and fitness and the industry you CAN find cheaper and actually more effective alternatives to MANY top shelf products that bash the other products out of the way because of the label...

So with all that said I have to rate the effectiveness fairly high because I can tell it works when compared to other products in its bracket - however value is low and overall is low because I just think it is over rated when you look deeper at what is actually in it. To the average trainer perhaps the cost vs effectiveness isnt bad and therefore the overall would probably be more like 7-8, but I am not average, I know exactly what is out there and where I can go for it so I do not have to settle for something that has flaws/imperfections and gives me much less economic value.....

Of course - this is all just my opinion and I cannot claim to have all knowing truth - it is ultimately up to individuals to decide what is best for them...
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Flavour Range
  • Ion Exchange Filtration Process; Lack Of Clarity Of Ingredients/components
  • Price Was A Little High

There's so much I love about this product. I've gone through almost 10 of the 5lb tubs, and I've found this is my go-to Whey Protein.

Whey is probably the most supplemented product in anyone's diet, whether looking to Lean Out, drop body fat, build muscle, or just plain bulk up. There are so many different brands of Whey's out there, this is the one that seems to be the best-of-all-worlds. It is high quality, gets the job done, is the right price for what you pay for, and doesn't lack in the taste department.

Profile (9) - Although taste isn't my biggest concern, I'm more about fueling the body to get results than satisfying that bull*** appetite we have. With 120 calories per scoop, 1g of fat, 3 carbs, and 24g of protein, it's really hard to ask for a leaner protein choice without sacrificing for taste. It has a nice amino blend and contains Whey Ions, Concentrates, and Hydro Whey.

Value (9) - Although it's not Hydro Whey, which I feel is way over priced for being absorbed a little faster and having a better profile, it, under no circumstances has made this an out-of-date product. For the quality, the price is very easy on my wallet. Also, it's a very plain label--it's not bombarded with pictures or advertisement tricks, and look at how popular this product is.

Effectiveness (9) - This is pretty much an anytime protein--you can use it in the mornings, after workouts, mix it with oatmeal or other supplements for a recovery drink. Plain and simple, it helps with recovery and helps you meet protein requirements.

Mix-ability - No problems mixing it. Everything dissolves. Sometimes due to vigorous shaking, some foam appears but it's nothing I would take points away for.

Taste (?) - It really depends on what you like. I've had a few flavors and despise and others I love. Although not as good tasting as Syntha-6, but if it were, it probably wouldn't be as healthy either. Taste is kinda weak, but like I said, if it tasted any better--it's probably doing more harm than good.

Cake Batter - I wasn't sure whether to like it or hate it. It reminded me too much of the Vanilla Ice Cream, which I hate. The taste to me was like a Sugar Cookie. (7/10)

Caramel Toffee Fudge - At one point this was my favorite flavor. It's really hard to to describe, but basically a Heath bar that's a little strong on the Caramel Flavor. (8/10)

Chocolate Malt - My new favorite flavor. The only one I was willing to go through 10lbs in a row of without getting sick of. Reminds me so much of Whoppers, and it tastes great with anything you mix it with. (10/10)

Chocolate Mint - I'm a huge fan of chocolate mint, but not this. It's very weak tasting, both in the chocolate and mint. I really wish they could try to improve it. (6/10)

Coffee - Another favorite. Focusing on diet, of course Frappucinos and other High Fructose Syrup iced coffees had to go--so this is my savior. Mixing it in a blender with some ice and a little milk, and it's heaven. I've also found that this is the best if you mix it with HOT oatmeal--The coffee aroma just explodes and tastes amazing. (9/10)

Double Rich Chocolate - I would consider this your standard Chocolate. Would remind me of your typical Hershey's chocolate bar. Plain, but does the job. (8/10)

Vanilla Ice Cream - I only bought this because there was "25% more FREE". Should have been a sign to run. It tasted like neither Vanilla or Ice Cream, and this ruined any other Vanilla flavored protein for me. I hated every last scoop. (4/10)

Overall, this product manages to hit the target in the quality, effectiveness, and value departments, while getting taste in there as well, and also comes in a plethora of flavors for anyone. If fits the budget for most and does its job.

Definitely recommend Gold Standard 100% Whey to anyone looking for results and not taste!
  • Coffee Oatmeal
  • Vanilla Ice Cream

Asking who makes the best whey protein is like asking who is the best football team in the NFL. Ask 32 people and get 32 different answers. Everyone has "their" whey protein.

Now picking the right Whey protein for you is a lot like balancing a high school chemistry equation. You need to get the right amount of protein percentage, BCAAs, mix-ability, taste, and price. You have to pick and choose which categories you are willing to make your sacrifices in, because you can't have it all.

So, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey...

Protein Percentage: 9/10- 100% Whey has 24 Grams of Protein for a 29 Gram Serving. This is pretty good but technically, it should be called 80% Whey. Can you find protein powders with higher percentages? Sure, but the taste drops off sharply.

BCAAs: 9/10- 100% Whey offers a fair amount of BCAA's. This is why it is so important to have Whey directly after a workout. 1 Serving contains 5 grams of BCAAs and 4g of glutamine. 100% Whey also contains what Optimum Nutrition has deemed, HydroWhey. Have you ever seen where the mama bird eat the food and partially digest it before regurgitating it and feeding it to the chicklets? Well thats what ON is doing for you. They have partially broken down the whey so you can digest it easier and absorb it faster.

Mixability: 9/10- ON has deemed their Whey "Instantized". I really cant elaborate on what that means, but the powder is really fine and it does mix really well. I can't give it a 10 because sometimes you will still get little globs that stick to the glass or shaker bottle. Also, you can mix it in as little as 5-6 ounces of milk which makes it really quick to gulp down.

Taste: 9/10- Here is where 100% Whey shines. Most people wont drink something every single day if they don't look forward to it. I am a big fan of the Vanilla Ice Cream. I found this one and liked it and I have probably gone through 40 pounds of it. Can you get a better tasting protein? Yes you can, but guess what...it will have a lot more fillers and less of a protein percentage.

Price: 8/10- Basically you get what you pay for. I just bought 10 pounds @ 87.49 on allstarhealth.com There are definitely cheaper proteins out there but in reality, they aren't cheaper by much. You'll save only 50-60 dollars at the end of the year and to me thats not worth the sacrifice.

Overall: 10/10- Its probably not the best in any single category, but its by far the best overall. If you look on nearly every online retailer, this product will be in the top 10 products sold. And, if you go to Jamba Juice or Smoothie King and get the shot of protein added, this is what your going to get. Its not 100% that this protein is for you, but I think it appeals to what the mass majority of people are looking for.
  • Not A Good Meal Replacement

I discovered SR from a fellow gym-mate who is an active and avid user of SR.

I wanted to review this product because it is one of the main supplements that I use and will continue to use for my training. Many people, especially newbies, do not know where to start or what products are the best. I am writing this review for them!

I discovered SR from a fellow gym-mate who is an active and avid user of SR.

I have used a couple of other brands and the taste and textures just do not compare to ON's whey. I have used Body Fortress, Dymatize Elite, MuscleTech, and Cellucor (this one is awesome though).

I have been using ON's whey since June 2013 when I started lifting weights.

My diet/exercise routine before ON's whey included a vegetarian diet with moderate amounts of weight training. When I decided I wanted to lift more weights, I realized that I needed to get more protein in my diet as I started to shift from vegetarian to basically a protein overloaded diet. This product has helped me increase my muscle mass and maintain muscle mass throughout my usage of it.

The results I expected were to be minor, but the results that I received were actually better.

After first using this product, I went from a skinny 132 with no muscle and wearing a size 2/4 to weighing 140 with nothing but muscle and still wearing a size 2/4.

There have been no negative side effects to using this product.

The only way this product could be improved would be to offer more flavors.

I will continue to use this product because it tastes great, it mixes perfectly, and it rebuilds my muscles.
  • Cake Batter Tastes Amazing
  • Extereme Milk Chocolate!!
  • Lasted Long Enough
  • No Cons
RunLikeLee
  April 22, 2010

Great protein.. Ive been using this for about 2 or 3 years and it hasnt let me down..
Definitely my #1 favorite protein besides ISO-100 by Dymatize.

This is a whey isolate, whey concentrate, whey peptide blend.. It is a great postworkout protein because the all the proteins are absorbed very quickly.
Definitely my #1 favorite protein besides ISO-100 by Dymatize.

It has extra aminos for muscle growth and repair, added enzymes to aid protein digestion, and few carbs so even dieters can take advantage of the benefits of 100 % Whey..

Taste/Texture-9/10
I have used a few of the flavors available over the past couple years. I've tried Double Rich Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla Ice Cream, Extreme Milk Chocolate, and I am currently using the Limited Edition Cake Batter flavor. I've tried dozens and dozens of different proteins from many companies and the Limited Edition Cake Batter flavor is tied for the BEST TASTING PROTEIN I HAVE EVER HAD.. Next to Syntha-6 Mocha Cappucino flavor. Aside from Cake Batter, I also liked Double Rich Chocolate and Strawberry.. dont get the Vanilla Ice Cream flavor, its not that flattering unless you add chocolate syrup.
The texture of 100 % Whey is great and its smooth because of the quality protein they use.

Mixability-9/10
Smooth, can be mixed by spoon in a cup or used in a shaker. A shaker is usually always best.

Value-9/10
Great value, one of the cheapest proteins out there. Even at GNC its always about 43.99 for about 73 servings per container. Using 2 scoops after your workout everyday, you'll still have enough for 5 weeks !! Thats great. I just bought the Limited Edition Cake Batter at FitRX.com for 33.95 I believe it was. Perfect !!

Effectiveness-9/10
Since they use a combination of whey isolate, whey concentrate and whey peptides, which are quality, fast digesting (proteins whey concentrate not so much as the other two)they are readily used in muscle growth and muscle repair. I use 100 % Whey immediately upon waking in the morning before breakfast, before my workout and after my workout. It definitely helps put my body in a anabolic state so that I can build muscle and burn fat.

Overall-9/10
I dont give anything a 10 out of 10 but this is as close as you get. Everything about 100 % Whey is near perfect. It tastes great, its inexpensive, it lasts a long time when used correctly (about 73+ servings), and they use high quality protein perfect for those bulking or cutting. To make my post-workout shake even more efficient and anabolic, I always blend 2 scoops 100 % Whey, 2 cups skim milk, 1 banana, a 1/2 cup fruit (strawberries or blueberries or blackberries), and 1 cup of yogurt. Although fructose (in fruit) isnt the best thing for after a workout, its still really effective because your body needs some kind of sugar, really any kind right after to spike insulin for muscle growth and repair. The added yogurt adds more digestive enzymes to break down all the protein.

One of THE BEST proteins available !!
  • Cake Batter Tastes Amazing
  • Perfect Postworkout

Oh no guys, I'm 3 tubs in and just realized I haven't reviewed this yet! I <3 this protein powder. After trying a few different companies I have found a favorite. -mixes the best, even in a water bottle
-great taste, lots of flavors to choose from
-really quite affordable when you stack up the cost with what's inside the container.
On sale it is around $40 at the GNC's around me, and otherwise only a few more dollars on bb.com.
-great taste, lots of flavors to choose from
Also, I have found a lot of other protein powders tend to upset my stomach or cause indigestion and I have never had that happen with this product.
(Obviously) I will buy this again and highly suggest it to anyone who has not tried it- you won't be disappointed.
Ryzo

I managed to get my hands on a batch of 100% whey protein by Optimum Nutrition and thought I'd post a review as I've been very impressed with the quality, taste and overall benefits of using their Gold Standard whey.

I decided to try Rocky Road as I have not tasted that flavour before, now I'm wandering why it took me so long, Yum! It's now, easily, my favourite flavour!

Mixability for me is an important aspect of any protein...

Mixability for me is an important aspect of any protein shake, the last thing I want is chunks of protein gathering because that just makes drinking them a mission, rather than a pleasure.

The tub advised you mix for 30 seconds, I found with little effort and within 3-4 stern shakes it was completely mixed without any lumps forming on the plastic mesh, result!

Usually, after drinking a protein shake I'll feel sluggish and bloated, which I didn't, which made the pre-workout shake a lot easier to digest. I didn't feel sick during my workout, although I did have a few 'Rocky Road' burps!

I have always relied on Optimum Nutrition to make a quality flavour, there are few companies I can rely on who only release a protein product flavour when they KNOW its just right. Rocky Road is up there with their Milk Chocolate flavour, these are both now easily my favourite.

There are cheaper alternatives out there, however, the quality really shows on the ON Whey. Protein per serving is good at 24 grams per serving, there is also added BCAAs, glutamine, enzymes etc. It contains a bit of everything, so you don't have to worry about mucking around with adding it all individually - it makes life a lot easier.

Drinking this protein is always a pleasure, never a choir, another quality product from ON, albeit on higher end of the price spectrum, great quality.

----Ingredient Profile----
The ingredients are pretty standard and are similar to most of the higher quality proteins out there. As it says in the name, it is 100% whey protein, so don't expect it to take hours to digest. It has 5.5 grams of BCAA's and over 4 grams of glutamic acid and glutamine....
----Ingredient Profile----

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
I tried the chocolate mint flavor and it was good with water. It tasted great with milk.
It mixed pretty well. There was usually a little bit of a syrupy substance left at the bottom if I didn't shake it enough.
Dosing is like every other whey protein. Nothing special.
----Effectiveness----
If I sipped on this towards the end of my workout and finished it right after my workout, than I wouldn't feel sore until later on in the day. It made quite a difference on strength training days.

----Value----
I paid $33 for a 2lb tub. That is pretty average for a good quality protein.

----Side Effects----
I did not have any side effects from this. I tested it with a full and empty stomach, with and without pre-workouts, before and after workouts, and first thing in the morning.

----Conclusion----
Overall. I probably will buy this again in the future. I won't make it a staple in my stack, mostly because I prefer protein mixes with multiple types of proteins to allow for a longer digestion period.
  • Good Recovery

325 Reviews of this product. Why write number 326? If you have been stuck on the Muscle Milk wagon such as I had been, or simply looking for a solid overall Whey that wont dissapoint, then read up beacuse this is for you.

Overall: Solid 8
Overall this product will blow all standard wheys out of the water. The value, taste, and effectiveness far surpass most others on the market.

Effectiveness: 8

Overall: Solid 8

Effectiveness: 8
There is enough protein in each serving to help achieve your overall daily intake. Taken first thing in the morning, in between meals, or doubled up as your post work out shake. High quality protein consisting of Hydrolyzed Whey, and Whey Protein Isolates, both pure and fast absorbing. The Amino Acid profile is quite profound, including our three most valuable BCAAs: Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine. All aiding in a constant and speedy recovery with added Glutamine and its precursors. The recovery and ability to add lean muscle makes the effectiveness of this product quite impressive for it's cost. However it is not a gainer nor a meal replacement.

Value: A rare 10
First off 70+ servings for $40 dollars is tough to beat for the quality protein that this provides. When you throw in all the goodies that you would otherwise have to pay seperate for, that equals great value. Along with a wide variety of flavors.

Taste/Mix:9
The taste of Extreme Chocolate Milk and the Cake batter are amazing. Best used in a shaker cup, but can be mixed in a glass and spoon rather easily. Slight foam, but nothing that doesn't go away in a few seconds.

This is already a staple for many of us on here. But if you are currently searching for a new Whey, or tired of spending half your pay check on other high profiled Wheys, give this a shot you may never go back.

• Lasted Long Enough
  • Makes Great Shakes
  • Extereme Milk Chocolate!!
  • Not A Good Meal Replacement

As an introduction to start my review, I would just like to state that this product is not "hyped" or anything. It is the real deal, the bee's knees, the good stuff, its what works. I will cover taste, value, results, side effects, what I stacked it with, and overall grade.

Taste: I have tried chocolate and strawberry. Now, usually chocolate is my go-to safe-choice flavor for any protein/gainer. But for this particular protein, I prefer strawberry over chocolate. The texture for strawberry is very smooth, not too thick, not too thin, no bubbles or anything. The taste is amazing. Chocolate tastes decent, but off. Something strange about the texture, its a little gritty.

Side effects: It would give me gas once in a while but I think it was due more to the fact that I'd eat lots of cereal that day and maybe the milk in general was what caused it. Other than that, no side effects.

Results: This product has an amazing profile. 1 gram of fat, 0.5 of sat fat, 24 grams of protein per scoop, 80 servings a container. Great amount of amino acids. This protein is perfect for post workout and you will not be disappointed. It is a clean shake with no fillers and will add muscle with little fat if you are working hard and do your cardio.

I stacked this with: NO Shotgun, SizeOn, Muscle Milk(MRP), Monster Amino, multi vitamin.

Value: Very good value, You get 80 servings per container!! Thats ridiculously amazing! The big 5lb tubs usually run around 40 bucks and they are even considerably cheap even at GNC for about 45.

Overall this product is an amazing post workout protein and is really the gold standard in the supplement game right now. You will not regret trying this and it will most likely become a staple in your lifting stack.
  • Not A Good Meal Replacement
Copyright © 2015 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.