100% Whey Reviews

By: Optimum

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

8.9
10 107

Ranks #3 of 93 (better than 98%) in
Protein > Whey Protein

100% Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Optimum. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.
INGREDIENTS (12)

DEALS
COMPARE SIMILAR

AestheticsUK
  March 8, 2014

Now this one will be controversial, probably unpopular, upset a few people, but I am honest and true to my opinion and knowledge base.

I know there are SO MANY reviews of this product, purely because of how popular and well established OPTIMUM are and how established this product is in general.

I would like to point out that this product is the highest selling whey product that we stock in our store - so its not as though there is any bias against this product on a personal level.
I used a tub purely because we had a bunch of them here in stock and it is something I have always wanted to give a go, despite never being 100% persuaded by what is on the back of the label...

With that said it has puzzled me how so many mediocre products over the years seem to be so popular and desired despite alternatives being there that work out much better in my opinion.
Its like Maximuscle - somehow marketisation and labeling seems to mesmerise the general customer into parting with far more cash than they need to....

I am entirely honest to customers - time and again customers come into the store and say "Gold standard is your best whey isnt it...." - and I say "No not in my opinion" - yet they ignore the experienced person and hold onto their own preconception of what makes a product good or not...

My reasons for this kind of view are as follows:

For reference I am putting up the nutritional information:

Per 100g /Per 31g scoop / %RI* per serve:
Fibre: 0g / 0g / -
Protein: 78.4g / 24.3g / 49%
Salt: 0.928g / 0.288g / 5%
Sodium: 371mg / 115mg / -

a) The concentration of Protein types/sources/ratios.
b) The extraction processes involved in sourcing the protein that has gone into this powder.
c)The relevance/quality of additional extras (eg. Glutamic acid).

- These are criteria that average gym users and customers will completely overlook, assuming that 'protein per serving' is THE most relevant determinant in whether a protein powder is good or not- which unfortunately reflects a lack of understanding of this industry and health/fitness in general. Average/unadvanced users tend to just associate any form of progress with one thing - "Oh it must be the creatine" - "Oh it has to be Gold standard whey that has worked...." and therefore they put all their eggs in one basket and pre decide that they HAVE to use THAT product again and again to see results. Its the same when something goes wrong "Oh it must be the Reflex whey that made me fat...." and never touch Reflex ever again. They dont accommodate for the dozens of other variables in effect whilst using supplements or training programmes - and are unaware that it might not have REALLY mattered WHICH whey protein they used - their body may have grown and developed regardless... (I know I am digressing a little bit - but I am just highlighting the point that sometimes TOO MUCH emphasis is put on a product being the main driver of results - this is exactly what supplement companies WANT the perception to be...)

c) Cost - of course.....

Lets start with some positives on PAPER:

Yes - ON Gold standard has 24g of protein per 31g serving. That means it IS lean and high protein per serving and a good ratio of protein per powder - meaning less wasted powder on PAPER.

It DOES contain whey isolate (an even faster acting source of protein than whey concentrate with an even HIGHER Bioavailability value than whey concentrate).
It DOES contain Hydrolysed whey - which is an even smaller micro nutrient version of whey protein that is even FASTER than whey isolate as it is pre broken down to the smallest and easiest absorbed protein/peptide building blocks for recovery and repair.

It DOES contain 5g + of BCAAs (very specific amino acids relevant for protecting, repairing and building muscle tissue - especially during and after training).
It DOES contain 4g of Glutamine and Glutamic acid per serving (Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in muscle tissu, is involved in the synthesis of many of the bodie's hormones including Growth Hormone and IGF - and is even recommended for burn victims and muscle wasting patients to help muscle repair and immune system).

It mixes well, has good enzymes for absorption and digestion leaving it unlikely to upset your stomach.

The taste I cannot fault - the cookies and cream I had was possibly in the top 5 shakes I have ever tasted and the product line has a massively extensive, interesting and unique flavour range which makes this a good product for those who want to stick to it but like a change of flavour each month as it would take a year to get through them all...

So by looking at those positives so far my review probably looks a little bit contradictory no?

Well all of this looks great on PAPER and is probably a large reason why the product can be classed as a GOLD STANDARD product.

However after taking a DEEPER look than just whats on the surface here are my problems:

Problem ONE - ION EXCHANGE FILTRATION PROCESSES:

Now our OLD tubs specified that SOME of the protein was cross flow filtered and that some was Ion Exchange.
The NEW tubs tell us NOTHING of how any of this protein is processed.... which I DO NOT LIKE.

In Ion exchange filtration processes Hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide are used during this process which of course makes the process ACIDIC and if you know much about protein you will know that HEAT or ACIDITY can DENATURE the protein - preventing our enzymes from effectively binding and breaking it down into usable amino acids - therefore in other words leaving it with reduced or in some cases entirely diminished use to the body for repairing or building muscle.

There is no way of knowing how MUCH of the protein in your tub may have been denatured unless the manufacturers can give you a percentage of the protein that has undergone ion exchange and then do tests on their powder to see how much the process has actuality damaged in reality.

Either way you may well not be getting 24g of usable protein per serving afterall....

Therefore whenever I select a product for myself I opt for: COLD FILTERED, ULTRA FILTERED or CROSS FLOW FILTERED protein and a good protein company will always be honest about how their protein is processed.

ON Gold standard give no ratio of their protein sources either....
It claims that WPI (whey protein Isolate) is 'PRIMARY SOURCE' - yet give no percentage. 51% would make it the primary source - but that's just a good Whey isolate/concentrate blend - not a WPI per say....

Since Whey Isolate in theory is faster acting, is leaner with less of the lactose/sugar/fat from milk than whey concentrate and is of course much more EXPENSIVE - you would hope that you really are getting a much higher ratio of Isolate than Concentrate. The biolavialbility value of whey is 104 - wheras Isolate has been measured to go up to as much as 143.... just to give you an idea of the quality of WPI vs Concentrate.

Glutamic acid is NOT L-Glutamine so saying there are 4gs of Glutamine/Glutamic acid per serving isn't so helpful

Our containers only provide a breakdown according to category found within the AMINO ACIDS PROFILE for this powder (Essential; Conditionally essential; Non Essential). Why can they not just provide a fully comprehensive list like many other brands do???

Therefore we cannot even tell how much of that 'Glutamine/Glutamic acid' is in there.
It could be 3.9g glutamic acid and .1g Glutamine for all we know....

5.5g BCAAs - ok so we trust that 5.5g of our 3 super aminos are in there which is good - but then I think ......well:

Most decent protein powders offer between 4-8g BCAAs per serving.... and I could go buy my regular 100% WHEY ISOLATE product (which has at least 5g BCAAS per serving) ALONG WITH 250g of BCAA POWDER and still be under the cost of the GOLD STANDARD...........
In fact my WHEY ISOLATE costs £57 for FIVE KILOS
GOLD STANDARD is £50 for TWO KILOS

Granted whey isolate is very expensive and I am lucky to have found a source so affordable.. so I cannot be TOO critical on OPTIMUM alone for having a costly product if the main source really is WPI.

However-

- If you know where to look and know enough about
nutrition, health and fitness and the industry you CAN find cheaper and actually more effective alternatives to MANY top shelf products that bash the other products out of the way because of the label...

So with all that said I have to rate the effectiveness fairly high because I can tell it works when compared to other products in its bracket - however value is low and overall is low because I just think it is over rated when you look deeper at what is actually in it. To the average trainer perhaps the cost vs effectiveness isnt bad and therefore the overall would probably be more like 7-8, but I am not average, I know exactly what is out there and where I can go for it so I do not have to settle for something that has flaws/imperfections and gives me much less economic value.....

Of course - this is all just my opinion and I cannot claim to have all knowing truth - it is ultimately up to individuals to decide what is best for them...
  • Good Flavour Range
  • Price Was A Little High
  • Ion Exchange Filtration Process; Lack Of Clarity Of Ingredients/components
CamelE

September 9, 2010

There's so much I love about this product. I've gone through almost 10 of the 5lb tubs, and I've found this is my go-to Whey Protein.

Whey is probably the most supplemented product in anyone's diet, whether looking to Lean Out, drop body fat, build muscle, or just plain bulk up. There are so many different brands of Whey's out there, this is the one that seems to be the best-of-all-worlds. It is high quality, gets the job done, is the right price for what you pay for, and doesn't lack in the taste department.

Profile (9) - Although taste isn't my biggest concern, I'm more about fueling the body to get results than satisfying that bull*** appetite we have. With 120 calories per scoop, 1g of fat, 3 carbs, and 24g of protein, it's really hard to ask for a leaner protein choice without sacrificing for taste. It has a nice amino blend and contains Whey Ions, Concentrates, and Hydro Whey.

Value (9) - Although it's not Hydro Whey, which I feel is way over priced for being absorbed a little faster and having a better profile, it, under no circumstances has made this an out-of-date product. For the quality, the price is very easy on my wallet. Also, it's a very plain label--it's not bombarded with pictures or advertisement tricks, and look at how popular this product is.

Effectiveness (9) - This is pretty much an anytime protein--you can use it in the mornings, after workouts, mix it with oatmeal or other supplements for a recovery drink. Plain and simple, it helps with recovery and helps you meet protein requirements.

Mix-ability - No problems mixing it. Everything dissolves. Sometimes due to vigorous shaking, some foam appears but it's nothing I would take points away for.

Taste (?) - It really depends on what you like. I've had a few flavors and despise and others I love. Although not as good tasting as Syntha-6, but if it were, it probably wouldn't be as healthy either. Taste is kinda weak, but like I said, if it tasted any better--it's probably doing more harm than good.

Cake Batter - I wasn't sure whether to like it or hate it. It reminded me too much of the Vanilla Ice Cream, which I hate. The taste to me was like a Sugar Cookie. (7/10)

Caramel Toffee Fudge - At one point this was my favorite flavor. It's really hard to to describe, but basically a Heath bar that's a little strong on the Caramel Flavor. (8/10)

Chocolate Malt - My new favorite flavor. The only one I was willing to go through 10lbs in a row of without getting sick of. Reminds me so much of Whoppers, and it tastes great with anything you mix it with. (10/10)

Chocolate Mint - I'm a huge fan of chocolate mint, but not this. It's very weak tasting, both in the chocolate and mint. I really wish they could try to improve it. (6/10)

Coffee - Another favorite. Focusing on diet, of course Frappucinos and other High Fructose Syrup iced coffees had to go--so this is my savior. Mixing it in a blender with some ice and a little milk, and it's heaven. I've also found that this is the best if you mix it with HOT oatmeal--The coffee aroma just explodes and tastes amazing. (9/10)

Double Rich Chocolate - I would consider this your standard Chocolate. Would remind me of your typical Hershey's chocolate bar. Plain, but does the job. (8/10)

Vanilla Ice Cream - I only bought this because there was "25% more FREE". Should have been a sign to run. It tasted like neither Vanilla or Ice Cream, and this ruined any other Vanilla flavored protein for me. I hated every last scoop. (4/10)

Overall, this product manages to hit the target in the quality, effectiveness, and value departments, while getting taste in there as well, and also comes in a plethora of flavors for anyone. If fits the budget for most and does its job.

Definitely recommend Gold Standard 100% Whey to anyone looking for results and not taste!
  • Coffee Oatmeal
  • Vanilla Ice Cream
Picky
  January 9, 2012

Asking who makes the best whey protein is like asking who is the best football team in the NFL. Ask 32 people and get 32 different answers. Everyone has "their" whey protein.

Now picking the right Whey protein for you is a lot like balancing a high school chemistry equation. You need to get the right amount of protein percentage, BCAAs, mix-ability, taste, and price. You have to pick and choose which categories you are willing to make your sacrifices in, because you can't have it all.

So, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey...

Protein Percentage: 9/10- 100% Whey has 24 Grams of Protein for a 29 Gram Serving. This is pretty good but technically, it should be called 80% Whey. Can you find protein powders with higher percentages? Sure, but the taste drops off sharply.

BCAAs: 9/10- 100% Whey offers a fair amount of BCAA's. This is why it is so important to have Whey directly after a workout. 1 Serving contains 5 grams of BCAAs and 4g of glutamine. 100% Whey also contains what Optimum Nutrition has deemed, HydroWhey. Have you ever seen where the mama bird eat the food and partially digest it before regurgitating it and feeding it to the chicklets? Well thats what ON is doing for you. They have partially broken down the whey so you can digest it easier and absorb it faster.

Mixability: 9/10- ON has deemed their Whey "Instantized". I really cant elaborate on what that means, but the powder is really fine and it does mix really well. I can't give it a 10 because sometimes you will still get little globs that stick to the glass or shaker bottle. Also, you can mix it in as little as 5-6 ounces of milk which makes it really quick to gulp down.

Taste: 9/10- Here is where 100% Whey shines. Most people wont drink something every single day if they don't look forward to it. I am a big fan of the Vanilla Ice Cream. I found this one and liked it and I have probably gone through 40 pounds of it. Can you get a better tasting protein? Yes you can, but guess what...it will have a lot more fillers and less of a protein percentage.

Price: 8/10- Basically you get what you pay for. I just bought 10 pounds @ 87.49 on allstarhealth.com There are definitely cheaper proteins out there but in reality, they aren't cheaper by much. You'll save only 50-60 dollars at the end of the year and to me thats not worth the sacrifice.

Overall: 10/10- Its probably not the best in any single category, but its by far the best overall. If you look on nearly every online retailer, this product will be in the top 10 products sold. And, if you go to Jamba Juice or Smoothie King and get the shot of protein added, this is what your going to get. Its not 100% that this protein is for you, but I think it appeals to what the mass majority of people are looking for.
  • Not A Good Meal Replacement
Mungobro
  May 11, 2015

----Introduction----
(Background info on yourself, diet, experience, goals, first thoughts on the product and how you discovered SR)

Some information about myself, I am a 21 year old gym junkie. I have been weight training now for approximately 4 or 5 years, mind you at least the first half of that was spent mucking around not making any progress , not focused in on goals and no real clue about real programs or proper nutrition. Prior to weight training I played numerous sports from the age of 6 up until I was 18, now with time being more of a factor as well as work and travel costs, developing my physique is my only true sporting interest.

With my current status I am on top of my diet having my macros honed in whilst following a more flexible approach to my diet during the off season. I am looking to put on a little more size this year before competing in either Men's Physique or Sports Model class mid 2016. As for goals, my immediate goal is as previously stated more size and to get on stage next year but on from that I would love to become a serious competitor in whichever category i decide to chase after and at the very least one day, to win a regional show.

I heard about SR through an online forum.

My first thoughts of this product were initially "oh wow this is low in calories how is this meant to help me gain size". Obviously that was a long time ago but from the first taste and solid results, this has become my go-to protein.

----Ingredients 9-10----

Firstly lets just look at the nutritional label.
Serving Size 1 Rounded Scoop(30.4g)
Servings Per Container 74
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 1g
Saturated Fat 0.5g
Trans Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 3g
Sugars 1g
Protein 24g

On top of the good dosing of protein as well as next to no carbs or fats, the amino acid profile on this protein is just amazing. With over 15 different amino acids present per serving as well as over 4g of glutamine and 5g of BCAA's, this protein is manufactured to be a top level protein powder.

----Taste/Mixability 10/10----

Taste wise I have never had better. I have used Milk Choc, French Vanilla, Banana, Cookies and Cream and Double Choc, all were superior taste wise to any other brand of protein I have had. Personally I take it with milk as I love milkshakes and this powder mixed with milk really brings out that milkshake like flavor. With a lot of gym goers being into oats as well I would also like to mention this protein mixes really well into already cooked oats, and the flavor of the protein isn't overpowering either.

Mixability is also a high point for this protein powder. We all know the struggle of shaking and shaking our shakers only to take a gulp of our shake to find lumps of slimy, lumpy whey in our mouths, which for me always taste pretty awful. I never have any issues with ON Whey, it mixes really well in my protein shaker without a mixing ball or anything of the sort.

----Effectiveness 8-9 ----

Would have to rate this product up there for effectiveness. I mean no protein out there is going to throw muscle on you overnights but this protein powder definitely has helped with my recovery and is a fairly cost effective way to get some extra protein in the system to meet your macro nutrient requirements.

----Value 8 ----

I am very for this product, especially where I am based. While it may seem fairly expensive compared to other products of the same size, for some reason other products all seem to have up to 20 servings less per container than ON whey. This means that while upfront cost may be more pricey the actual cost per serve, which is what most of us are concerned with, is actually relatively low and certainly competitive with any other major brands out there.

----Side Effects 7 ----

No real side effects from me that I've experienced personally. With that said I don't tolerate lots of lactose well, so if you share that trait, you would be best to take this protein with water rather than milk, especially if taking 2 scoops. I do find sometimes that 2 scoops of the protein powder as well as 400ml's of milk can make my stomach feel a little sore for a short period of time.

----Conclusion----

Like I said before, this product for me is the absolute bee's knees. It scores highly with me on all accounts and was voted best selling protein powder for at least the last two years. The only reason I would ever consider switching proteins at this point would be if I went to a dairy free diet, short of that I don't see any reason to change.
  • Good Amino Acid Profile
  • Chocolate Flavor Rocks
  • Good Amino Acid Profile For A Protein
  • Good Flavour Range
  • Mixes Great With Oats
  • No Cons
allielifts
  March 18, 2014

I discovered SR from a fellow gym-mate who is an active and avid user of SR.

I wanted to review this product because it is one of the main supplements that I use and will continue to use for my training. Many people, especially newbies, do not know where to start or what products are the best. I am writing this review for them!

I have used a couple of other brands and the taste and textures just do not compare to ON's whey. I have used Body Fortress, Dymatize Elite, MuscleTech, and Cellucor (this one is awesome though).

I have been using ON's whey since June 2013 when I started lifting weights.

My diet/exercise routine before ON's whey included a vegetarian diet with moderate amounts of weight training. When I decided I wanted to lift more weights, I realized that I needed to get more protein in my diet as I started to shift from vegetarian to basically a protein overloaded diet. This product has helped me increase my muscle mass and maintain muscle mass throughout my usage of it.

The results I expected were to be minor, but the results that I received were actually better.

After first using this product, I went from a skinny 132 with no muscle and wearing a size 2/4 to weighing 140 with nothing but muscle and still wearing a size 2/4.

There have been no negative side effects to using this product.

The only way this product could be improved would be to offer more flavors.

I will continue to use this product because it tastes great, it mixes perfectly, and it rebuilds my muscles.
  • Cake Batter Tastes Amazing
  • Extereme Milk Chocolate!!
  • Lasted Long Enough
  • No Cons
RunLikeLee
  April 22, 2010

Great protein.. Ive been using this for about 2 or 3 years and it hasnt let me down..
Definitely my #1 favorite protein besides ISO-100 by Dymatize.

This is a whey isolate, whey concentrate, whey peptide blend.. It is a great postworkout protein because the all the proteins are absorbed very quickly.
It has extra aminos for muscle growth and repair, added enzymes to aid protein digestion, and few carbs so even dieters can take advantage of the benefits of 100 % Whey..

Taste/Texture-9/10
I have used a few of the flavors available over the past couple years. I've tried Double Rich Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla Ice Cream, Extreme Milk Chocolate, and I am currently using the Limited Edition Cake Batter flavor. I've tried dozens and dozens of different proteins from many companies and the Limited Edition Cake Batter flavor is tied for the BEST TASTING PROTEIN I HAVE EVER HAD.. Next to Syntha-6 Mocha Cappucino flavor. Aside from Cake Batter, I also liked Double Rich Chocolate and Strawberry.. dont get the Vanilla Ice Cream flavor, its not that flattering unless you add chocolate syrup.
The texture of 100 % Whey is great and its smooth because of the quality protein they use.

Mixability-9/10
Smooth, can be mixed by spoon in a cup or used in a shaker. A shaker is usually always best.

Value-9/10
Great value, one of the cheapest proteins out there. Even at GNC its always about 43.99 for about 73 servings per container. Using 2 scoops after your workout everyday, you'll still have enough for 5 weeks !! Thats great. I just bought the Limited Edition Cake Batter at FitRX.com for 33.95 I believe it was. Perfect !!

Effectiveness-9/10
Since they use a combination of whey isolate, whey concentrate and whey peptides, which are quality, fast digesting (proteins whey concentrate not so much as the other two)they are readily used in muscle growth and muscle repair. I use 100 % Whey immediately upon waking in the morning before breakfast, before my workout and after my workout. It definitely helps put my body in a anabolic state so that I can build muscle and burn fat.

Overall-9/10
I dont give anything a 10 out of 10 but this is as close as you get. Everything about 100 % Whey is near perfect. It tastes great, its inexpensive, it lasts a long time when used correctly (about 73+ servings), and they use high quality protein perfect for those bulking or cutting. To make my post-workout shake even more efficient and anabolic, I always blend 2 scoops 100 % Whey, 2 cups skim milk, 1 banana, a 1/2 cup fruit (strawberries or blueberries or blackberries), and 1 cup of yogurt. Although fructose (in fruit) isnt the best thing for after a workout, its still really effective because your body needs some kind of sugar, really any kind right after to spike insulin for muscle growth and repair. The added yogurt adds more digestive enzymes to break down all the protein.

One of THE BEST proteins available !!
  • Cake Batter Tastes Amazing
  • Perfect Postworkout
    aironstone
      June 23, 2015

----Introduction----
    Ladies and Gents of the SR jury,
    After my recent visit to Europa Expo in Dallas, and obtaining a sample packet of Salted Carmel flavor Gold Standard Whey, I realized that I am yet to show my respect to this timeless classic and review it on SR. So here it goes.
    Protein is the most essential part of our gym life. As some sort of holy nectar it brings gainz onto us. At any stage I am, be that cutting, bulking or recomp, I always have some sort of protein supplement helping me along the whey.( get it? way-whey? its a pun)
    Gold Standard 100% Whey isn't the best of the best (they have pro complex for that), cheapest or the highest quality protein. Yet it hits that good 8.0 mark in almost every category, like a good Volkswagen should. Another great aspect of the product is its wide popularity. You can find it in almost any supplement store you will visit, so if the rest of the products are something you don't know or never heard of, Gold Standard is always the choice.

----Ingredient Profile----
    (Your thoughts on the ingredients/label of the product)

Taken From bodybuilding.com
    Serving Size 1 Rounded Scoop (31g)

Amount Per Serving

Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 8%
    Iron 0%

Ingredients:
    Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolates, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides), Lecithin, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, Sucralose, FD&C Red #40, Aminogen, Lactase.
    ALLERGEN INFORMATION:
    Contains Milk And Soy (Lecithin) Ingredients

Alright so as we see the protein make up here is the fast absorbing Isolates, slower absorbing Concentrate and lastly Whey Peptides. Out of all of those I'm not particularly fond of inclusion of peptides, which in my understanding are not totally absorbed into your body, but feel free to correct me.

Now if we look at the content of Protein, Carb, Fat per scoop, 31g scoop will yield 24g of protein, 3g of Carbs, 1.5g Fat. I would say those are really decent macros for your regular day to day protein that isn't all Isolates.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
    First off Dosing is simple, one scoop after gym if you want 24g of protein, more if needed. ON Gold Standard, always mixes well, I've never had any clumping issues.
    Gold Standard was the first whey protein I've bought. It was back in high school around 2008/9 at a local GNC. I was going to cave in and to the pressure of the horrible GNC sales person and buy either the GNC brand or even worse Muscletech, but the availability of Banana flavor pushed me towards ON. Gold Standard is very solid in the flavor department and the way they actually taste. There are 18 different flavors listed for Gold Standard on bodybuilding.com. Out of the ones I tried , strawberries and crme, banana crme, chocolate, vanilla, cookies and crme, and most recently tried Salted Caramel (which I wasn't able to find anywhere other than Amazon) all of them tasted darn great to me. I had no reason to complain. The Salted Caramel flavor was simply amazing, I mixed it with water first, which was ok. But when I used whole milk, it was a whole other deal. I wanted on chew on it, if that makes sense, I felt like I had real Salted Caramel in my mouth.
    9.5/10

----Effectiveness----
    I usually drink my shakes after working out or running, and try to keep them at 1 to 2 scoops a day, getting most of my protein from food. I would not say that this protein has any amazing recovery that I've never experienced before. But I did notice that when I did go off while waiting for my next protein to arrive, I was more sore after my workouts. Overall good product for keeping up muscle mass and improve recovery.

----Value----
    Allstarhealth has the 5lb(73 servings) for 54.99. That's the cheapest I found it when its not on sale. It comes out to around 75 Cents a scoop, which I think isn't all too bad for a decent protein. But at 1 Scoop a day at that price, the tub should last you about 2 month which is pretty good in my opinion.
    ----Side Effects----
    No side effects, unless you consider gainz a problem!

----Conclusion----
    All in all, Optimum Gold Standard whey will always be the first protein on my mind when protein supplements are mentioned. I might buy new and exciting protein products, but I will have no problem going back to this in a heart beat. As the Volkswagen analogy goes, nobody dreams of driving a Volkswagen when they are a millionaire, nobody wants to pop into a posh club in a Jetta. But people understand that a Volkswagen will get you where you need to go with great comfort and reliability. In similar fashion, Gold Standard will always be there to bring you muscle support and good recovery, without all the extravagant and posh nonsense.
    • Lasted Long Enough
    • Amazing Taste
    • Not A Good Meal Replacement
    Samazon
      August 1, 2010

Oh no guys, I'm 3 tubs in and just realized I haven't reviewed this yet! I <3 this protein powder. After trying a few different companies I have found a favorite. -mixes the best, even in a water bottle
    -great taste, lots of flavors to choose from
    -really quite affordable when you stack up the cost with what's inside the container.
    On sale it is around $40 at the GNC's around me, and otherwise only a few more dollars on bb.com.
    Also, I have found a lot of other protein powders tend to upset my stomach or cause indigestion and I have never had that happen with this product.
    (Obviously) I will buy this again and highly suggest it to anyone who has not tried it- you won't be disappointed.
      Ryzo
        July 23, 2010

I managed to get my hands on a batch of 100% whey protein by Optimum Nutrition and thought I'd post a review as I've been very impressed with the quality, taste and overall benefits of using their Gold Standard whey.

I decided to try Rocky Road as I have not tasted that flavour before, now I'm wandering why it took me so long, Yum! It's now, easily, my favourite flavour!

Mixability for me is an important aspect of any protein shake, the last thing I want is chunks of protein gathering because that just makes drinking them a mission, rather than a pleasure.

The tub advised you mix for 30 seconds, I found with little effort and within 3-4 stern shakes it was completely mixed without any lumps forming on the plastic mesh, result!

Usually, after drinking a protein shake I'll feel sluggish and bloated, which I didn't, which made the pre-workout shake a lot easier to digest. I didn't feel sick during my workout, although I did have a few 'Rocky Road' burps!

I have always relied on Optimum Nutrition to make a quality flavour, there are few companies I can rely on who only release a protein product flavour when they KNOW its just right. Rocky Road is up there with their Milk Chocolate flavour, these are both now easily my favourite.

There are cheaper alternatives out there, however, the quality really shows on the ON Whey. Protein per serving is good at 24 grams per serving, there is also added BCAAs, glutamine, enzymes etc. It contains a bit of everything, so you don't have to worry about mucking around with adding it all individually - it makes life a lot easier.

Drinking this protein is always a pleasure, never a choir, another quality product from ON, albeit on higher end of the price spectrum, great quality.
        jasonstith90
          February 20, 2015

----Ingredient Profile----
        The ingredients are pretty standard and are similar to most of the higher quality proteins out there. As it says in the name, it is 100% whey protein, so don't expect it to take hours to digest. It has 5.5 grams of BCAA's and over 4 grams of glutamic acid and glutamine.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
        I tried the chocolate mint flavor and it was good with water. It tasted great with milk.
        It mixed pretty well. There was usually a little bit of a syrupy substance left at the bottom if I didn't shake it enough.
        Dosing is like every other whey protein. Nothing special.
        ----Effectiveness----
        If I sipped on this towards the end of my workout and finished it right after my workout, than I wouldn't feel sore until later on in the day. It made quite a difference on strength training days.

----Value----
        I paid $33 for a 2lb tub. That is pretty average for a good quality protein.

----Side Effects----
        I did not have any side effects from this. I tested it with a full and empty stomach, with and without pre-workouts, before and after workouts, and first thing in the morning.

----Conclusion----
        Overall. I probably will buy this again in the future. I won't make it a staple in my stack, mostly because I prefer protein mixes with multiple types of proteins to allow for a longer digestion period.