100% Whey Reviews

By: Optimum

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #3 of 94 (better than 98%) in
Protein > Whey Protein

100% Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Optimum. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.
(Amount not disclosed)

Purest form of whey protein that maximizes protein synthesis and minimizes muscle breakdown with almost no carbs or fats.

(Amount not disclosed)

Rapidly digested form of protein rich in amino acids that helps support lean body mass gains and muscle protein synthesis.

November 24, 2015

We all know that whey protein works. It's one of the cheapest and most convenient ways to reach your protein goals if you can't get there with meals. "Cheaping out" on your whey doesn't always pan out, as anyone who has choked down a less expensive (but clumpy) tub of protein. Paying top dollar doesn't always guarantee positive results either. I've had some "premium" protein that I didn't care for because while it mixed great, it tasted terrible! I always seem to come back to ON whey protein because it fits the bill on all accounts (at least for me).

----Ingredient Profile----

It's got whey! (hey!). Around 24g of protein per scoop (~31g) you get a fair amount of protein, with the rest left over for "other stuff". The "other stuff" being 1g of fat and 3g of carbs, with one gram of those carbs coming from sugar. All this is from ONE label that I found (chocolate malt flavor), but if you look around the net at other labels of this product, you'll see slightly different numbers. What's up with that? The variance is most likely due to the MANY different flavors ON has on the market. The flavor will also affect what sweetener is used, as I have seen acesulfame potassium and sucralose (better known as the brand name Splenda) both alone and in combination depending on the flavor. It's good to be aware that this variance exists, but for most it shouldn't matter too much. I'm sure you can find other whey's with a tighter carb/sugar/fat/protein ratio, so if you're micromanaging your macros you might be concerned. But overall I think it's pretty good.

On the topic of artificial sweeteners: I feel that artificial sweeteners are safe for the most part. Some people might disagree, but much of the clinical literature I have read (regarding aspartame, saccharine, and sucralose specifically) has indicated that they are safe in most people. Most problems I have heard are that people have trouble digesting large amounts of the stuff and get diarrhea. However, I feel that they are better than the amount of sugar (I.E., empty calories) it takes to achieve a similar sweetness. These are just my own thoughts and opinions, so use your best judgment.

Here is where a protein powder can really shine, in my opinion. With upwards to 24 different flavors, you're bound to find one that you like. I've tried a handful of them and they were great. My go-to has been the double rich chocolate, as I can add some peanut butter to it if I want to add some more calories/make it taste even better. I would recommend that you pick a flavor that you REALLY like before investing in a 10lb bag (strawberry got old after a while).

ON's Whey always mixes easily and cleanly in both milk and water, with very little (if any) clumpage. The labeling states that you can stir it up with a spoon, but I recommend sticking to a good ol' shaker bottle. Full marks here.

Dosing is easy peasy, just scoop up however much you need. One scoop per serving is pretty standard for most powders, with 24g per serving being normal as well.

I can state with great certainty that ON's protein is effective. Working in the field that I do, some jobs in the past have had me working 12 hours a day with no breaks. Oftentimes, this would be my only source of protein (and sometime my only source of nutrition, period). Despite these conditions I was still able to hit my daily protein goals. I did have some digestive issues when I first started supplementing protein, but that was mostly because I made such a drastic change in my eating habits. Those have long since subsided, and my gut bacteria enjoy processing my protein without complaint.

Also, (an independent supplement testing lab) gave ON's Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein an A-. I feel that the "minus" comes from the inclusion of artificial sweeteners, which marks as "controversial". As I've said previously, I feel these claims are overstated.

The best value is to buy in bulk, and ON offers a whopping 10lb bag for around $110 on amazon. That averages out to about 75 cents a serving, so I feel that I'm getting my money's worth. The most commonly carried size by most brick-and-mortar stores is the 5lb tubs, but sizes go all the way down to a 1.8lb package if you aren't a monster consumer like myself. Do note that not all flavors are carried in all sizes, as the 10lb bags are limited to around 5 flavors.

----Side Effects----

You might experience some cramping if you're new to supplementing protein, but that's usually because your body is getting used to processing protein in such a large bolus. It should pass fairly quickly. For those that still have problems, you might have issues processing whey in general. I have heard of people having success in switching to other protein sources such as soy in these cases.

If you want a whey protein that is affordable, mixes well, tastes great, and works, look no further. While you can probably find some other whey's with a slimmer carb profile, it won't beat ON's Gold Standard by much. Highly recommended.
  • Lots Of Flavors
    • Double rich chocolate: 10/10
    • Chocolate Malt: 5/10
    • Delicious Strawberry: 8/10
    • Vanilla Ice Cream: 9/10
    • Extreme Milk Chocolate: 9/10
      June 23, 2015

(Background info on yourself, diet, experience, goals, first thoughts on the product and how you discovered SR)
    Ladies and Gents of the SR jury,
    After my recent visit to Europa Expo in Dallas, and obtaining a sample packet of Salted Carmel flavor Gold Standard Whey, I realized that I am yet to show my respect to this timeless classic and review it on SR. So here it goes.
    Protein is the most essential part of our gym life. As some sort of holy nectar it brings gainz onto us. At any stage I am, be that cutting, bulking or recomp, I always have some sort of protein supplement helping me along the whey.( get it? way-whey? its a pun)
    Gold Standard 100% Whey isn't the best of the best (they have pro complex for that), cheapest or the highest quality protein. Yet it hits that good 8.0 mark in almost every category, like a good Volkswagen should. Another great aspect of the product is its wide popularity. You can find it in almost any supplement store you will visit, so if the rest of the products are something you don't know or never heard of, Gold Standard is always the choice.

----Ingredient Profile----
    (Your thoughts on the ingredients/label of the product)

Taken From
    Serving Size 1 Rounded Scoop (31g)

Amount Per Serving

Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 8%
    Iron 0%

Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolates, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides), Lecithin, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, Sucralose, FD&C Red #40, Aminogen, Lactase.
    Contains Milk And Soy (Lecithin) Ingredients

Alright so as we see the protein make up here is the fast absorbing Isolates, slower absorbing Concentrate and lastly Whey Peptides. Out of all of those I'm not particularly fond of inclusion of peptides, which in my understanding are not totally absorbed into your body, but feel free to correct me.

Now if we look at the content of Protein, Carb, Fat per scoop, 31g scoop will yield 24g of protein, 3g of Carbs, 1.5g Fat. I would say those are really decent macros for your regular day to day protein that isn't all Isolates.

First off Dosing is simple, one scoop after gym if you want 24g of protein, more if needed. ON Gold Standard, always mixes well, I've never had any clumping issues.
    Gold Standard was the first whey protein I've bought. It was back in high school around 2008/9 at a local GNC. I was going to cave in and to the pressure of the horrible GNC sales person and buy either the GNC brand or even worse Muscletech, but the availability of Banana flavor pushed me towards ON. Gold Standard is very solid in the flavor department and the way they actually taste. There are 18 different flavors listed for Gold Standard on Out of the ones I tried , strawberries and crme, banana crme, chocolate, vanilla, cookies and crme, and most recently tried Salted Caramel (which I wasn't able to find anywhere other than Amazon) all of them tasted darn great to me. I had no reason to complain. The Salted Caramel flavor was simply amazing, I mixed it with water first, which was ok. But when I used whole milk, it was a whole other deal. I wanted on chew on it, if that makes sense, I felt like I had real Salted Caramel in my mouth.

I usually drink my shakes after working out or running, and try to keep them at 1 to 2 scoops a day, getting most of my protein from food. I would not say that this protein has any amazing recovery that I've never experienced before. But I did notice that when I did go off while waiting for my next protein to arrive, I was more sore after my workouts. Overall good product for keeping up muscle mass and improve recovery.

Allstarhealth has the 5lb(73 servings) for 54.99. That's the cheapest I found it when its not on sale. It comes out to around 75 Cents a scoop, which I think isn't all too bad for a decent protein. But at 1 Scoop a day at that price, the tub should last you about 2 month which is pretty good in my opinion.
    ----Side Effects----
    No side effects, unless you consider gainz a problem!

All in all, Optimum Gold Standard whey will always be the first protein on my mind when protein supplements are mentioned. I might buy new and exciting protein products, but I will have no problem going back to this in a heart beat. As the Volkswagen analogy goes, nobody dreams of driving a Volkswagen when they are a millionaire, nobody wants to pop into a posh club in a Jetta. But people understand that a Volkswagen will get you where you need to go with great comfort and reliability. In similar fashion, Gold Standard will always be there to bring you muscle support and good recovery, without all the extravagant and posh nonsense.
    • Amazing Taste
    • Not A Good Meal Replacement
      May 11, 2015

Some information about myself, I am a 21 year old gym junkie. I have been weight training now for approximately 4 or 5 years, mind you at least the first half of that was spent mucking around not making any progress , not focused in on goals and no real clue about real programs or proper nutrition. Prior to weight training I played numerous sports from the age of 6 up until I was 18, now with time being more of a factor as well as work and travel costs, developing my physique is my only true sporting interest.

With my current status I am on top of my diet having my macros honed in whilst following a more flexible approach to my diet during the off season. I am looking to put on a little more size this year before competing in either Men's Physique or Sports Model class mid 2016. As for goals, my immediate goal is as previously stated more size and to get on stage next year but on from that I would love to become a serious competitor in whichever category i decide to chase after and at the very least one day, to win a regional show.

I heard about SR through an online forum.

My first thoughts of this product were initially "oh wow this is low in calories how is this meant to help me gain size". Obviously that was a long time ago but from the first taste and solid results, this has become my go-to protein.

----Ingredients 9-10----

Firstly lets just look at the nutritional label.
    Serving Size 1 Rounded Scoop(30.4g)
    Servings Per Container 74
    Amount Per Serving
    Total Fat 1g
    Saturated Fat 0.5g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Total Carbohydrate 3g
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 24g

On top of the good dosing of protein as well as next to no carbs or fats, the amino acid profile on this protein is just amazing. With over 15 different amino acids present per serving as well as over 4g of glutamine and 5g of BCAA's, this protein is manufactured to be a top level protein powder.

----Taste/Mixability 10/10----

Taste wise I have never had better. I have used Milk Choc, French Vanilla, Banana, Cookies and Cream and Double Choc, all were superior taste wise to any other brand of protein I have had. Personally I take it with milk as I love milkshakes and this powder mixed with milk really brings out that milkshake like flavor. With a lot of gym goers being into oats as well I would also like to mention this protein mixes really well into already cooked oats, and the flavor of the protein isn't overpowering either.

Mixability is also a high point for this protein powder. We all know the struggle of shaking and shaking our shakers only to take a gulp of our shake to find lumps of slimy, lumpy whey in our mouths, which for me always taste pretty awful. I never have any issues with ON Whey, it mixes really well in my protein shaker without a mixing ball or anything of the sort.

----Effectiveness 8-9 ----

Would have to rate this product up there for effectiveness. I mean no protein out there is going to throw muscle on you overnights but this protein powder definitely has helped with my recovery and is a fairly cost effective way to get some extra protein in the system to meet your macro nutrient requirements.

----Value 8 ----

I am very for this product, especially where I am based. While it may seem fairly expensive compared to other products of the same size, for some reason other products all seem to have up to 20 servings less per container than ON whey. This means that while upfront cost may be more pricey the actual cost per serve, which is what most of us are concerned with, is actually relatively low and certainly competitive with any other major brands out there.

----Side Effects 7 ----

No real side effects from me that I've experienced personally. With that said I don't tolerate lots of lactose well, so if you share that trait, you would be best to take this protein with water rather than milk, especially if taking 2 scoops. I do find sometimes that 2 scoops of the protein powder as well as 400ml's of milk can make my stomach feel a little sore for a short period of time.

Like I said before, this product for me is the absolute bee's knees. It scores highly with me on all accounts and was voted best selling protein powder for at least the last two years. The only reason I would ever consider switching proteins at this point would be if I went to a dairy free diet, short of that I don't see any reason to change.
    • Chocolate Flavor Rocks
    • Good Amino Acid Profile
    • Good Amino Acid Profile For A Protein
    • Good Flavour Range
    • Mixes Great With Oats
    • No Cons
      February 20, 2015

----Ingredient Profile----
    The ingredients are pretty standard and are similar to most of the higher quality proteins out there. As it says in the name, it is 100% whey protein, so don't expect it to take hours to digest. It has 5.5 grams of BCAA's and over 4 grams of glutamic acid and glutamine.

I tried the chocolate mint flavor and it was good with water. It tasted great with milk.
    It mixed pretty well. There was usually a little bit of a syrupy substance left at the bottom if I didn't shake it enough.
    Dosing is like every other whey protein. Nothing special.
    If I sipped on this towards the end of my workout and finished it right after my workout, than I wouldn't feel sore until later on in the day. It made quite a difference on strength training days.

I paid $33 for a 2lb tub. That is pretty average for a good quality protein.

----Side Effects----
    I did not have any side effects from this. I tested it with a full and empty stomach, with and without pre-workouts, before and after workouts, and first thing in the morning.

Overall. I probably will buy this again in the future. I won't make it a staple in my stack, mostly because I prefer protein mixes with multiple types of proteins to allow for a longer digestion period.
        July 16, 2014

Optimum is known for their good quality products. Their 100% Whey protein is no different. It has a solid Amino acid profile to go along with a good protein source.

The two main protein sources you see in this product are Whey Isolate and Whey Concentrate. The only difference between these two is how fast the body utilizes them and how pure they are. Whey Isolate is definitely the better of the two protein sources. however it is expensive, which is why the concentrate is added. Granted the concentrate isn't a bad protein but it takes longer to digest, which in turn means longer for the amino acids to get to work.

Optimum includes more Isolates than they do Concentrates however which still make this a good protein.

It does what a protein is supposed to do. Which is to deliver a solid dose of protein and amino acids to your system. At 24 grams of protein per serving it definitely does that.

This is the only category that brings this product down. It is quite expensive. At $111 for ten lbs. You're still looking at around a dollar a serving which defeats the purpose of buying in bulk. It is a good product but none-the-less overpriced.

This is a good protein however the value somewhat ruins it. But if you have money and wish to have a good go to protein, then this is for you.

• Cake Batter Tastes Amazing
        March 18, 2014

I discovered SR from a fellow gym-mate who is an active and avid user of SR.

I wanted to review this product because it is one of the main supplements that I use and will continue to use for my training. Many people, especially newbies, do not know where to start or what products are the best. I am writing this review for them!

I have used a couple of other brands and the taste and textures just do not compare to ON's whey. I have used Body Fortress, Dymatize Elite, MuscleTech, and Cellucor (this one is awesome though).

I have been using ON's whey since June 2013 when I started lifting weights.

My diet/exercise routine before ON's whey included a vegetarian diet with moderate amounts of weight training. When I decided I wanted to lift more weights, I realized that I needed to get more protein in my diet as I started to shift from vegetarian to basically a protein overloaded diet. This product has helped me increase my muscle mass and maintain muscle mass throughout my usage of it.

The results I expected were to be minor, but the results that I received were actually better.

After first using this product, I went from a skinny 132 with no muscle and wearing a size 2/4 to weighing 140 with nothing but muscle and still wearing a size 2/4.

There have been no negative side effects to using this product.

The only way this product could be improved would be to offer more flavors.

I will continue to use this product because it tastes great, it mixes perfectly, and it rebuilds my muscles.
      • Cake Batter Tastes Amazing
      • Extereme Milk Chocolate!!
      • No Cons
        March 8, 2014

Now this one will be controversial, probably unpopular, upset a few people, but I am honest and true to my opinion and knowledge base.

I know there are SO MANY reviews of this product, purely because of how popular and well established OPTIMUM are and how established this product is in general.

I would like to point out that this product is the highest selling whey product that we stock in our store - so its not as though there is any bias against this product on a personal level.
      I used a tub purely because we had a bunch of them here in stock and it is something I have always wanted to give a go, despite never being 100% persuaded by what is on the back of the label...

With that said it has puzzled me how so many mediocre products over the years seem to be so popular and desired despite alternatives being there that work out much better in my opinion.
      Its like Maximuscle - somehow marketisation and labeling seems to mesmerise the general customer into parting with far more cash than they need to....

I am entirely honest to customers - time and again customers come into the store and say "Gold standard is your best whey isnt it...." - and I say "No not in my opinion" - yet they ignore the experienced person and hold onto their own preconception of what makes a product good or not...

My reasons for this kind of view are as follows:

For reference I am putting up the nutritional information:

Per 100g /Per 31g scoop / %RI* per serve:
      Fibre: 0g / 0g / -
      Protein: 78.4g / 24.3g / 49%
      Salt: 0.928g / 0.288g / 5%
      Sodium: 371mg / 115mg / -

a) The concentration of Protein types/sources/ratios.
      b) The extraction processes involved in sourcing the protein that has gone into this powder.
      c)The relevance/quality of additional extras (eg. Glutamic acid).

- These are criteria that average gym users and customers will completely overlook, assuming that 'protein per serving' is THE most relevant determinant in whether a protein powder is good or not- which unfortunately reflects a lack of understanding of this industry and health/fitness in general. Average/unadvanced users tend to just associate any form of progress with one thing - "Oh it must be the creatine" - "Oh it has to be Gold standard whey that has worked...." and therefore they put all their eggs in one basket and pre decide that they HAVE to use THAT product again and again to see results. Its the same when something goes wrong "Oh it must be the Reflex whey that made me fat...." and never touch Reflex ever again. They dont accommodate for the dozens of other variables in effect whilst using supplements or training programmes - and are unaware that it might not have REALLY mattered WHICH whey protein they used - their body may have grown and developed regardless... (I know I am digressing a little bit - but I am just highlighting the point that sometimes TOO MUCH emphasis is put on a product being the main driver of results - this is exactly what supplement companies WANT the perception to be...)

c) Cost - of course.....

Lets start with some positives on PAPER:

Yes - ON Gold standard has 24g of protein per 31g serving. That means it IS lean and high protein per serving and a good ratio of protein per powder - meaning less wasted powder on PAPER.

It DOES contain whey isolate (an even faster acting source of protein than whey concentrate with an even HIGHER Bioavailability value than whey concentrate).
      It DOES contain Hydrolysed whey - which is an even smaller micro nutrient version of whey protein that is even FASTER than whey isolate as it is pre broken down to the smallest and easiest absorbed protein/peptide building blocks for recovery and repair.

It DOES contain 5g + of BCAAs (very specific amino acids relevant for protecting, repairing and building muscle tissue - especially during and after training).
      It DOES contain 4g of Glutamine and Glutamic acid per serving (Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in muscle tissu, is involved in the synthesis of many of the bodie's hormones including Growth Hormone and IGF - and is even recommended for burn victims and muscle wasting patients to help muscle repair and immune system).

It mixes well, has good enzymes for absorption and digestion leaving it unlikely to upset your stomach.

The taste I cannot fault - the cookies and cream I had was possibly in the top 5 shakes I have ever tasted and the product line has a massively extensive, interesting and unique flavour range which makes this a good product for those who want to stick to it but like a change of flavour each month as it would take a year to get through them all...

So by looking at those positives so far my review probably looks a little bit contradictory no?

Well all of this looks great on PAPER and is probably a large reason why the product can be classed as a GOLD STANDARD product.

However after taking a DEEPER look than just whats on the surface here are my problems:

Now our OLD tubs specified that SOME of the protein was cross flow filtered and that some was Ion Exchange.
      The NEW tubs tell us NOTHING of how any of this protein is processed.... which I DO NOT LIKE.

In Ion exchange filtration processes Hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide are used during this process which of course makes the process ACIDIC and if you know much about protein you will know that HEAT or ACIDITY can DENATURE the protein - preventing our enzymes from effectively binding and breaking it down into usable amino acids - therefore in other words leaving it with reduced or in some cases entirely diminished use to the body for repairing or building muscle.

There is no way of knowing how MUCH of the protein in your tub may have been denatured unless the manufacturers can give you a percentage of the protein that has undergone ion exchange and then do tests on their powder to see how much the process has actuality damaged in reality.

Either way you may well not be getting 24g of usable protein per serving afterall....

Therefore whenever I select a product for myself I opt for: COLD FILTERED, ULTRA FILTERED or CROSS FLOW FILTERED protein and a good protein company will always be honest about how their protein is processed.

ON Gold standard give no ratio of their protein sources either....
      It claims that WPI (whey protein Isolate) is 'PRIMARY SOURCE' - yet give no percentage. 51% would make it the primary source - but that's just a good Whey isolate/concentrate blend - not a WPI per say....

Since Whey Isolate in theory is faster acting, is leaner with less of the lactose/sugar/fat from milk than whey concentrate and is of course much more EXPENSIVE - you would hope that you really are getting a much higher ratio of Isolate than Concentrate. The biolavialbility value of whey is 104 - wheras Isolate has been measured to go up to as much as 143.... just to give you an idea of the quality of WPI vs Concentrate.

Glutamic acid is NOT L-Glutamine so saying there are 4gs of Glutamine/Glutamic acid per serving isn't so helpful

Our containers only provide a breakdown according to category found within the AMINO ACIDS PROFILE for this powder (Essential; Conditionally essential; Non Essential). Why can they not just provide a fully comprehensive list like many other brands do???

Therefore we cannot even tell how much of that 'Glutamine/Glutamic acid' is in there.
      It could be 3.9g glutamic acid and .1g Glutamine for all we know....

5.5g BCAAs - ok so we trust that 5.5g of our 3 super aminos are in there which is good - but then I think ......well:

Most decent protein powders offer between 4-8g BCAAs per serving.... and I could go buy my regular 100% WHEY ISOLATE product (which has at least 5g BCAAS per serving) ALONG WITH 250g of BCAA POWDER and still be under the cost of the GOLD STANDARD...........
      In fact my WHEY ISOLATE costs £57 for FIVE KILOS
      GOLD STANDARD is £50 for TWO KILOS

Granted whey isolate is very expensive and I am lucky to have found a source so affordable.. so I cannot be TOO critical on OPTIMUM alone for having a costly product if the main source really is WPI.

- If you know where to look and know enough about
      nutrition, health and fitness and the industry you CAN find cheaper and actually more effective alternatives to MANY top shelf products that bash the other products out of the way because of the label...

So with all that said I have to rate the effectiveness fairly high because I can tell it works when compared to other products in its bracket - however value is low and overall is low because I just think it is over rated when you look deeper at what is actually in it. To the average trainer perhaps the cost vs effectiveness isnt bad and therefore the overall would probably be more like 7-8, but I am not average, I know exactly what is out there and where I can go for it so I do not have to settle for something that has flaws/imperfections and gives me much less economic value.....

Of course - this is all just my opinion and I cannot claim to have all knowing truth - it is ultimately up to individuals to decide what is best for them...
      • Good Flavour Range
      • Ion Exchange Filtration Process; Lack Of Clarity Of Ingredients/components
        October 31, 2013

Ok this is my first ever review so I decided to start with a simple but effective supplement. Please be patient.

I want to start off by saying I am bodybuilding for just over two years now and am a fan of this product, the reasons for this i will explain below:

Mixability/Texture: 10/10
      This is certainly one thing I look for in a good Whey protein, how easily is mixes. 100% whey mixes extremely well. Just add some water (or milk) and a quick shake will mix the two together perfectly with no clumps or bits stuck to the side of the shaker cup. In terms of texture with water it tastes great, is easy to drink and isn't too heavy after a hard session like some protein supps I have tried previously. With milk it is a little bit heavier in the stomach but tastes extremely nice and has a nice thick (but not too thick) texture.

Taste: 8/10
      This is one of the reasons, in my opinion, why this product is so popular with people, most flavours taste great but my favourite has to be chocolate mint. They really nailed the taste of the mint and it keeps you coming back for more. The reason it didnt get a 10 is because the tropical punch is not nice at all. I mean it turned my stomach. I sold it to a friend after taking it on three different occasions because I knew I wouldnt be able stick it.

Ingredient Profile: 10/10
      100% whey is 90% whey ISOLATE, hydrolysed and contains low amount of fat. This results in a quick absorption which is nice to know after a hard session and you are looking for a something fast to reach your muscles. Each scoop also contains a good amount of BCAA's (5.5g).

Effectiveness: 8.5/10
      Its hard to judge a Whey proteins effectiveness in a short period of time but I have been taking this supplement for a while now and I must say I am happy with the results it has helped me to achieve. However on doing a cut with weights and cardio 5 days a week and proper diet I felt it could have been better in helping me to recover but I am still happy with how it helped overall.

First of all it must be noted that I'm from Ireland and supplement's tend to be a lot more expensive here than in America or other countries. However, 100% whey is still a bit pricey when compared to other good brand whey proteins and this pulls pulls my view of this product slightly back.

Overall: 8.7/10
      This is a very simple, straight to the point product, it ticks all the boxes in what I look for in a whey protein. It is a little bit more expensive than other whey's on the market and it has some odd flavours but there are that many available its very easy to avoid the one's you dont like. All in all I really like this product and would certainly recommend it to others.
        July 11, 2013

Okay,so I decided to write a review about this product (despite numerous websites being flooded with the same) because of the extreme hype that surrounds this product and the number of gym - goers who swear by it (at least here in India).

I have used a number of whey protein supplements in the years that I have been involved in keeping fit, including Dymatize Elite Whey, Stamin 100 % Whey, Ultimate Nutrition Prostar, Ultimate Nutrition Iso - sensation et al. Most of them have a similar ingredient profile and similar efficacy, with a few variations here and there.

I must admit, when I decided to start using ON 100% Gold Standard whey, it was mainly because I had heard so much about it and it was actually recommended as the "best available protein supplement" by many of my fellow gym - enthusiasts and their trainers. So I finally went ahead and bought a 5lb tub (which again, is pretty expensive in India, costing close to $90 - YES,$90).

My training was focused mainly on putting on some muscle size without too much fat and this product did help me achieve that to an extent. It has a lovely profile, with each serving (32g) providing
      - Cal 130
      - Fat 1.5g
      - Sodium 100mg
      - Carbs 04g
      - Sugars 01g
      Protein 24g

Further, each serving also provides around 5.5g of BCAAs and 04g glutamine, which in my opinion is a big deal especially if you are taking three to four servings a day. It eliminates the need to buy BCAA and glutamine supplements separately, which is why it is perhaps pricier than other non - fortified whey supplements.

I took this product for around 03 months during which I was also supplementing with creatine. It did help me to put on some size, which I managed to retain even when I stopped creatine (so it was probably not all due to water - retention). I gained approx 03lbs in three months which wasn't really too noticeable. I was working out regularly, following a two-muscle groups/day six days a week split. Cardio was kept to a minimum.

Taste - wise, I always stick to chocolate when it comes to whey proteins, because I find that you usually don't go wrong with it. I used the Double rich chocolate flavor that tasted better with milk than with water. I also found that using very low amounts of milk, like 04oz per scoop, gave me the best taste, and was also useful as a small - volume pwo shake. mixing was never an issue and a few shakes in a shaker were all that was needed to provide a uniformly smooth drink with no clumps whatsoever.

I did not experience any side - effects with this one and definitely no bloating or gas. One scoop doesn't keep you full for too long though and you might want to add some powdered oats to your shake to keep the growling in your stomach at bay!

All said and done, the product is definitely good. It isn't really expected to be a wonder - drug that is going to turn you into Bruce Wayne from Trevor Reznik in 03 months, or even 06 - the rest of your diet will play a major role in how much weight/size you are able to gain, or the amount of fat you are able to lose. This is what it is - a good quality whey protein that will help you to hit your target protein requirements for the day, with the added BCAAs and glutamine helping with muscle growth and recovery. However, the price is a bit steep and I feel that there are some other products which offer similar profiles at cheaper rates, or some that provide more protein per equivalent serving. I'd probably use it again if I could get it at a cheaper price someday.
      • Not A Good Meal Replacement
        June 28, 2013

This will be my first review so please bare with me. I'm 5'8 currently weight 180 and my goal is to build a lean mass base physique by all natural means. So here is my little breakdown of this protein product.

Price: 9
      I bought the 10lbs bag which is abit pricey, however it gives you 154 servings per bag for I believe 90 dollars at with is not a bad deal at all. It may be expensive but it'll last you a LONG time if used properly. Even the 5lbs container gives you 77 servings for 45-50 bucks which is great.

Taste: 7
      I've only had Vanilla but it tasted ok. With water tasted blehh, but in milk it tasted descent.

Mix: 7
      It mixed ok. If you throw in a scoop in a 8-10 ounce of water(not milk)you'll notice it kinda takes a while to completely dissolve especially if you let it sit there. The reason is because since this protein has whey isolates AND whey concentrates(with extra fat and lactose), the protein source is not exactly the cleanest you'll find on the market, once again because of the fat and lactose found in the concentrate.

Effectiveness: 7
      The problem for me here is I didn't see any ADDITIONAL gains in muscle size than if I wasnt taking this product at all. In my opinion, you should only take a supplement wether it's protein or any other product if it gives you additional gains that if you weren't taking anything at all, and this protein didn't exactly do that for me.

Overall: 7.5
      Overall I give this a 7.5. The nutritional breakdown is great, has lots of servings at a descent price, taste and mix is ok, but like I said before no noticeable gains in muscle size. Thanks for your time.
      • Plenty Of Servings
      • Didn't Notice Additional Gains

Copyright © 2015 All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.