Amplified Creatine 189

By: GNC

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

6.6
10 19

Ranks #7 of 7 (better than 0%) in
Creatine > Chelate

Amplified Creatine 189 is a Creatine Chelate Product manufactured by GNC. It contains creatine chelate which is proposed to be a more absorbant and bloat free format of the traditional version. It can increase muscle power, translating to strength gains and increased muscle mass.
COMPARE SIMILAR

shinndigg

August 18, 2011

This review is a long overdue one... I took this product quite awhile ago, but the draft has been sitting on my desktop for awhile and I finally got tired of staring at it, lol.

How I dosed this: I changed my dosing procedures on this several times, at first I took this pre-workout, about an hour before hand. Then I changed it to post workout for awhile, but then went back to taking it pre-workout again where I found this most beneficial.

Ingredient Profile(8.5/10): This product is Creatine Hydrochloride, which at the time I took it meant nothing for me, but now knowing the different forms of creatine, this seems to be one of the most favored with the popularity of Con-Cret. Each pill contains 750mg of Creatine HCL just as Con-Cret does.

Taste/Texture(8/10): These pills were rather large, and I found myself having to take one at a time to prevent from chocking them down. The taste is kind of odd to describe, but to me it almost had a sweet taste to it. I actually didn't find it to be awful at all.

Effectiveness(8/10): I know this product doesn't have the best reputation, whether it be for the company that produces it, or the numerous complaints. As far as results go, this product did help improve my strength while I took it. I was kind of a noob to supplements when I took this product, so maybe I just had beginners luck, but I consistently and substantially made gains in strength and endurance whilst on this product. It's nothing that I haven't achieved with other forms of Creatine however. I never had the problem many people report of the pills not dissolving and/or ending up in my poo. The girl at GNC who sold it to me (yea I got suckered in by the cute college girl working there) told me to drink at least 16-20 ounces of water with this product. I think that may be the key to assuring proper absorption of these pills.

Value(5/10): Like many products that carry the GNC logo, this product will cost you a pretty penny. I really got sucked with this and bought the 240 pill bottle for a whooping $75, or 62 cents a serving. On a postive note I did end up getting the GNC girls phone number, but that's a topic for a different day, lol. This is a lot of bread to be throwing at a moderate creatine product. Yea it works, but so does regular old monohydrate, that I can buy for much cheaper, even Kre-Alkalyn is cheaper then this.

Conclusion: So while this product does work, overall it is really so-so. I won't say anything too negative other then it costs way more then it's worth in my opinion, but maybe if someone wants to give this to you for free or something you can give it a whirl. Personally I'd say opt for other forms of creatine, or try Con-Cret if you want to go the hydrochloride route.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • You Get To Help The Gnc Guy Make His Commission
  • It Works.
  • Price
  • Hard To Swallow
  • Better Creatine Products Out There For Less $$$
GotLift1691
  April 5, 2012

GNC Creatine 189 has been one of the best creatine supplements I have taken to date. My body loved this product so here is my review.

Dosage= 9/10

Real simple. Hard to get this part wrong. Took two in the AM with breakfast and took an additional 2 post workout or with dinner on non training days.

Taste=

No taste at all. The pills are coated so they don't leave any taste in your mouth and go down easy. I sometimes would crush the pills up and mix it into a shake and this was fine. Didn't alter the taste or texture of my shakes.

Effectiveness= 8/10

Like I said earlier, my body responded real well to this product. I had great strength gains that were real noticeable from week two and on. My muscle felt and looked more full and more defined which is always a plus. I had no bloat issues and it seemed that there was very little water retention. Another plus. In my opinion, I Found Creatine 189 to be more effective than straight creatine monohydrate.

Value= 6/10

For a creatine product, 189 is pricey. I got this product when it was either a BO/GO or a hot buy but I forget which. I got it because it was on sale and this definitely made it worth it. During Gold card week, one can get 120 tablets for around $27 dollars.

Overall= 7/10

The only drawback to creatine 189 is the price tag. It is a great creatine supplement and the strength gains were noticeable and enjoyable but it is a pricey product to run over and over again. I found the gains from creatine 189 to be greater than that of creatine monohydrate. Currently taking Kre-alk so I will compare 189 in that review.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Easy To Take
  • Less/no Water Retention
  • It Works.
  • Strength
  • Price

• jscribbs26
    April 5, 2012

27 dollars for a 2 month supply is expensive? have you seen the price of concrete?? now THATS an expensive creatine. good review though

Great review
  • USMCfitness
    Rep: -5
    April 5, 2012

If you buy it online it's a lot cheaper just bought the 4 month supply(240 caps) for $43!!!

Why such a downfall on the price you get what you pay for right???? Would you rather it bbe $10 and be a really low grade mono or HCL that does nothing?
Manimal

March 2, 2010

I've taken 1 and a half of the normal sized bottles of this now. I was doing good and getting gains on it for the whole first bottle. Nothing huge. And i was aware of the digestion problems so i was actually checking my poop lmao. Sure enough when i started the second bottle i saw both pills sticking out fully intact and silver. I think its because of the coating on these pills. Its super thick. I started cutting my pills in half and this helped the digestion thing alot. I may take these again in the future but if they lightened up on the coating, i think this would make for one awesome creatine pill.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Moderate Gains
  • Easy To Take
  • Less/no Water Retention
  • You Can See Pills In Your Poo(unless Think Thats A Good Thing)
  • You Have To Crush The Pill First

March 2, 2010

Good review, surprised you had digestion problems.. were you cycling anything else at the time?
  • Manimal
    March 2, 2010

They seem to have fixed this issue and it's a better product now.

Couldn't tell you what I was taking that many years ago man. Probably basics like multi, fish oil, and protein. May have been on the post workout supplement kick at the time.

Gotcha
  • gobuffs8080
    March 2, 2010

IVE GOOD GAINS ON THIS AND NONE OF HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH DIGESTING.
  • JRoss21
    Rep: -6
    March 2, 2010

I had the same problem! I was passing them whole, so i gave up on those.
David3007
  December 23, 2013

For a GNC product this one actually worked and I liked it. I know GNC gets a bad rep but for once I picked up a product that was highly recommended and it worked on me.

------------------Current Stack---------------------
Bodytech glutamine, bodyfortress whey protein, gnc creatine 189, Bcaa, complete nutrition mv, krill oil and mass fuzion.

-----------------Effectiveness 8--------------------
I'm going to go with an 8 on this because I used this while running a strength program. I noticed that not only did it help with soreness but I did put some numbers up that I had not done before. Kind of noticed a more defined look in my arms. Gained a little weight from this as well.

--------------------Dosage 10-----------------------
This gets a 10 for the dosage because it was 2 pills and bam your done. I took this after I worked out and I wished I would have done a little experimenting with this and would have taken it before working out but I did not so I might have seen better results but since I did not do that I will not know for now.

---------------------Ingredients------------------

Serving Size 2 Tablets
Servings Per Container 60

Amount Per Serving % DV

PEG-Creatine Systemâ„¢ (Creatine Hydrochloride) 1250.00 mg **

** Daily Value (DV) not established

Other Ingredients: Cellulose, Dicalcium Phosphate, Polyethylene Glycol, Titanium Dioxide (Natural Mineral Whitener), Enteric Coating (Cellulose, Sodium Alginate, Medium Chain Triglcerides, Oleic & Stearic Acid), Natural Mint Flavor, Sucralose

No Sugar, No Artificial Flavors, No Preservatives, No Wheat, No Gluten, No Soy, No Dairy, Yeast Free

This is my first Creatine supplement so I really cannot rate the ingredients because I have noting to compare it to. If I had to guess I would say this is average but I bet there are better creatines out there. When I pick up another Creatine supplement then I will be able to go into more detail on that product.

-------------------Value 10-----------------------This is a 10 because it was 30 servings and that averages out to a $1 a day. That is a good value and I would only pay more if it was a better product. I know there are better products out there and I would be willing to pay a little more for that. This does not brake the bank so it was still worth it.

---------------------Overview 8-------------------
All in all this was not a bad product. I noticed strength gains and a little definition in my arms. It was not a brake the bank supplement and the dosage was super easy. If I was looking for a creatine to start with I would recommend this.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • You Get To Help The Gnc Guy Make His Commission
  • Moderate Gains
  • Taste
  • Easy To Take
  • Less/no Water Retention
  • Muscle Recovery
  • Strength
TMan2004
  April 25, 2012

First I would like to note that I am an employee at GNC. Think what you will, but I will be honest in my reviews as to how I feel about a particular product.

Value (8/10)

I rated this an eight because in my honest opinion, this is a pretty decent price if you take it like it is designed. A comparable creatine would be Con-Crete and there's half the servings for the same price.

Effectiveness (9/10)

I have cycled through one bottle of this product and saw huge gains in my lifting and overall physique. Down side of all of it is that I ended up having shoulder surgery immediately after the cycle and did lose a large amount of what I accomplished. As designed, I took two tablets a day. One in the morning with the MV, and one post w/o.

Through this cycle I was using the following to reach my goals: Men's Sport MV, AMP Extreme 60 for post W/O, ON Vanilla for Breakfast, and Jack3d for Pre W/O. (I am a GNC employee, so why wouldn't I use our products).

The only con I really have for AMP 189 is the size of the tablet. Price for me is a non-issue and the gains I had were great.

I would like to mention that I had NO issues digesting this product.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Easy To Take
  • Less/no Water Retention
  • Crazy Gains
  • It Works.
  • Strength
  • Stucked In Throat Sideways

Virtus

February 19, 2011

I really like AMP Creatine 189. I have run Sci-Fit Kre-Alk, Universal Storm, CreMAGnaVol, straight Monohydrate, CE2 and probably some other I can't think of right now. This stuff just seems to work for me. I get harder and denser, and I feel I progress in my lifts. I don't get dehydrated from it and I don't swell up like with mono (since this is HCL obviously) I get better vascularity showing because I am not so H20 swollen. Downside though is that the price is massively inflated, hands down.

As far as people not being able to digest this fully- take it with some Apple Cider Vinegar, or just crush it/bite it in half and deal with the fact you must have defective genetics to have such weak stomach acid, your choice.

It's a good product plain and simple.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • You Get To Help The Gnc Guy Make His Commission
  • Easy To Take
  • Less/no Water Retention
  • It Works.
  • Youre 40 Bucks Poorer
  • Price

shawtywantme
Rep: 0
  August 9, 2012

I was very skeptical but I got on this stuff - in 2 weeks it was obvious it was working - size and firmness - no bloat - stronger - improved muscle endurance. working a 5 day split, my usual workout for years. Just added 2 of these pills a day and it took 2 weeks but it definitely kicked in. This is what you want if you want to look jacked without looking roided - but if you are slim (I was built already 6'0 210) and are looking for big size gains and weight gain then instead go mono creatine full cycle. This stuff is just 2 pills a day - take them even on off days to keep the creatine levels up. Obviously you have to hit the weights hard, but don't overtrain - take a day here 2 days there off. Note: my supplements are simple : a.m. meal includes Whey protein shake, 3x fish oil capsule, mega multi, b12 1000mcgs, amplified 189 pill, L-glutamine cap. After workout: Whey protein shake (immediately after workout) second 189 pill and L-glutamine. Thats
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • You Get To Help The Gnc Guy Make His Commission
  • Moderate Gains
  • Easy To Take
  • Less/no Water Retention
  • Price
gonoles71
  May 30, 2012

I'm 41 years old used creatine mono in the mid-late 90s. It was very effective but had some side effects and my doc advised that I no longer use it for fear it has unknown long term side effects on internal organs. Frankly, I was overloaded on it back then but strong as an ox. Resumed training 3 years ago (kids) after being horribly out of shape. Began using this product 6 weeks ago. Read lots of quality reviews here and decided to use.

It works. I split the pill in half and have had no digestion issues. Frankly, if the pill comes out in its entirety, you need to see a GI specialist because oyu have stomach issues. Its cellulose and sugar coated.

I have notived a substantial increase in strength and endurance, especially with legs, and interestingly enough forearms (holding bar for various excercices). So much so that my trainer asked me to back off the leg press for fear of injuring connective tissue. At my age, you have to worry about that. I take with apple juice twice a day just to be sure it digests. My cardio has also improved because I think my recoveries from weights are so much faster and better, enabling more cardio.

I'd say strength has improved 15% overall, cardio, 25%. And I drink PLENTY of water and suppliment with several different proteins (myotein and the GNC expensive one).

Its far more convenient that the powder and has no discernable side effect. No stomach issues. No skin issues (my facial skin looked odd with monohydrate).

To me, its worth the price, even if you have to endure the GNC sales pitch.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Easy To Take
  • Less/no Water Retention
  • It Works.
  • Muscle Recovery
  • Strength
  • Better Endurance
  • Have To Break The Pill In Half
Antell32
  May 8, 2012

Gnc did a really good job with this creatine. I have always been a fan of Kre Alkalyn and this stuff was almost identical.

Price- at full price it's $40 for a full 2 months which is pretty good, however it's almost always on sale or part of BOGO.

Dosing- 2 pills anytime of the day? Can't beat it! I typically took them first thing in the morning on and empty stomach because that's when I train.

Effectiveness- I definately know what I'm looking for in a creatine product and this did it. Definite strength gains, and stacked with an NO + pre workout, I had exceptional endurance and pumps.

This product is great to add to your supplement regimen!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Easy To Take

• kris65
    May 8, 2012

Glad this worked for you, did nothing for me. I dont seem to respond to creatine HCL, concret did nothing for me either.

@ kris65 .. impossible .. but how long were you on HCL
  • USMCfitness
    Rep: -5
    May 8, 2012

If your interested it's a lot cheaper online. I bought the 4 month supply(240 caps) bottle for only $43 on amazon.
bhurd
  April 22, 2012

First and foremost, let me start by saying that I gave this a comple goose egg because MY body would not digest this.

I cannot say anything about this product except:

I took this product with plenty of water roughly 64 oz. and typically drank grape juice to get it down. After about 3 weeks I was not noticing any kind of anything whatsoever. For some reason I looked in the bowl after i took a duece, and low and behold there it was...the white pill I had thought I was using.

By then I didnt feel right returning the bottle thinking the sales person wouldn't believe me so I just finished the bottle (noting changed by the end of the bottle) but I let him know what happened. He said he never heard that before (good thing I didn't try to get my money back)

For this reason I can only give it a zero. I've heard that others have had possitvie effects on this supp.

Use at your own discretion!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Youre 40 Bucks Poorer
  • You Can See Pills In Your Poo(unless Think Thats A Good Thing)
  • It Doesnt Do Anything For You
  • Price
  • No Gains
  • You Have To Crush The Pill First
  • Never Worked

• Sal
    April 22, 2012

Get to the vitamin shoppe. Get some CE2(32.00) No need to cycle since your body never absorbed the AMP 189. Hence the Dueces with pills. Give it 20 days you'll see some changes. My first cycle of this made veins in my arms pop out.
  • bhurd
    April 22, 2012

Ok thanks alot Sal, will look into that.
    April 22, 2012

You have the worst digestive track.. suggest improving your diet and enhancing your body functions.. try a multi?
  • bhurd
    April 22, 2012

Yeah maybe...idk.. i do kno that im not the only one with this problem digesting this horse pill. Seems to be a common thing amongst customers that have used this supp.

Copyright © 2015 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.