Impact Whey Protein Reviews

By: MyProtein

Ranks #4 (better than 97%)
In: Protein > Whey Protein

Impact Whey Protein is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by MyProtein. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Protein > Whey Protein

bctuthill
TROOPer Level: 35
  January 23, 2017

I've always been of the mind set that whey proteins are all pretty much the same, so there is no reason to spend more money on something that's only more expensive because of the marketing that went into it; but this protein let me have a high-grade option that also satisfied my conservative wallet. I was able to buy 11lbs for $57.98 SHIPPED, directly from myprotein.com, and using a coupon code someone had posted on FitnessDealNews.com. That's an incredible value. The protein was already on sale, but came in over $60 without the coupon. On the MyProtein website you get a free shaker for orders over $60, and even though the coupon brought this below that threshold, they still threw in the shaker. I thought that was a nice gesture. When you add in the fact that this brand has 3 of the top 10 proteins on LabDoor.com (this one is #7), it's a no brainer.

Each scoop is 100 Calories, and 20g of protein. It also has 2g of fat (1g is saturated), and 1g sugar. It's not the leanest, or the most protein rich serving I've ever seen, but it's right near the top. Altogether you only have 4 ingredients: Whey protein concentrate, artificial flavoring, soy lecithin, and sucralose. I love how simple that is.

Very tasty. I use a blender to mix a morning shake and it's great. A little on the sweeter side than others. After the gym I'll have an additional scoop that I mix with a spoon in water or in my shaker. In the shaker I have no clumps, but when I mix with a spoon it's a little more difficult to get rid of them. Fortunately, it's so tasty that it's not really a problem to drink it with curds floating around-- maybe different if you're a texture person though. I just don't really mind it.

It works as well as any other quality protein. I don't know that I'd necessarily give it an edge over anything else though in terms of obvious results. To me, the effectiveness comes down more to the taste::calories ratio. I don't want something that doesn't taste good, but I also don't want to waste my calories for the day in a shake. Overall when taking it I've noticed DOMS are reduced, I just *feel* like my body is getting the protein it needs to recover, and my gains are consistently progressing like they should be. The only other thing I keep an eye out for with proteins is having a diverse profile of amino acids that I've heard can fool the test results for protein content to reading higher than they actually are, and ultimately result in a bit of a nitro boost but very little recovery value. I don't see any of that in here

As I mentioned in the intro, I got 11lbs for less than $58! Incredible. It's a ton of protein to buy at once, and the bags are hard to reseal, but I just filled a normal 2lb tub of an old protein, tediously blew out the protein that was stuck in the ziplock, and was able to get an airtight seal again. A little messy and time consuming, but you don't have to do it often if you can do something similar.

Side Effects

A little gas. That's from what it is though-- not who made it.

Conclusion

Shipping took a little while to get to me-- a little over a week here in CT. Because of that I was forced to go out and buy a cheap GNC protein to hold me over. When the MyProtein came in I was shocked to look at the two side by side. GNC's protein looked almost chalky, and it had a bit of a chemical aftertaste to it. MyProtein on the other hand was downright velvety and it tasted great. I have no complaints at all. Shipping took a while but it came all the way across the country at a great price. I can time things better next time-- and there will be many next times!
  • Gas
JayT
TROOPer Level: 56
  January 12, 2017

I'm surprised to see this protein has not received more reviews. This is my go to protein and always have a stash of it somewhere in the house.

Depending on the flavor you choose, you are looking at somewhere near 100 calories per scoop, 20g protein, 2 g carbs, and a gram of fats. This is strictly a whey concentrate protein source and uses pretty minimal flavoring ingredients. They offer a natural option as well as a Stevia sweetened option at no additional cost which is nice. Wish more companies offered that. Only weird thing is that they use artificial sweetener (Sucralose) in their "natural" line. It appears the difference is that they only use natural flavors from their regular line.

Taste 9/10: I have had four of their Stevia sweetened flavors and I have enjoyed all of them. Flavors I have had are chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, and banana. All four flavors taste great in water in my opinion. However normally I use the strawberry and banana ones when I make fruit smoothies. Some may not like the Stevia flavors, but I always prefer them when available.

Mixability 7/10: Spoon and cup method as well as the shaker method both produced clumps. It clumped up on top of the water and also stuck to the sides and bottom of the cups.

Dosing 10/10: Take a scoop as needed.

This is my staple protein powder. There are protein powders that show on the label that they have better macro profiles or whatever, but I do not think you can go wrong with this stuff. MyProtein claims that this powder is up to 80% protein. "Up to" is kind of vague, but I would guess the 80% is for their unflavored and their flavored powders are slightly below that. You cannot really get too much more pure than 80% with concentrate, so you are definitely getting a quality protein here. Labdoor has this rated in the top three protein powders for both quality and value. Every protein is not listed on Labdoor, but there are many popular proteins on there so for MyProtein's Impact Whey to be top three in both categories is great.

I never had any issues digesting this. I used this frequently as a snack during the day. I try not to go over two protein shakes a day, but with this stuff it is kind of hard to restrain myself.

This is where IWP really shines. They offer 2.2, 5.5, and 11 pound protein bags (depends on flavor and availability sometimes). Regular price for the 11 pound bag goes for $90 which is a great price in itself. That comes out to a little over $8 a pound or $0.45 a serving. However they run some of the best promotions in the business and frequently you can find an 11 pound bag for $55. That is $5 a pound or $0.28 a serving. That is crazy. When most of our benchmarks for supplements are around $1 per serving, you can get about 4 servings for $1. I do not know how they do it. Their shipping is even super affordable. They have a $4 shipping cost to the mainland and it is free once you spend over $70.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Seriously cannot find another protein that has been third party tested that you can find for this cheap. Cannot say enough good things about MyProtein in general. The quality, pricing, taste are all up there with the best of them. Only gripe would be that is is only 20 g of protein per scoop, but even that is not bad. If you have not ordered from them yet, you definitely should soon.
    deumcole
    TROOPer Level: 58

August 5, 2015

Thanks to MyProtein for sending it out!
    Once again, shout out and thanks to the protein of choice for big Benni Magnusson.

Protein is always tricky to review, or not depending on how you look at it. Effectiveness is pretty much moot, unless we're talking about other-worldly quality or an individual's diet is sorely lacking altogether. I will, as always, do my best and provide my opinion in an objective manner. Or something like that

INGREDIENT PROFILE: A
    At a glance, there is about 90 calories per serving with 20 grams of protein, one lone gram of carbohydrates in the form of sugars, and fat is practically nil (two grams) from whey concentrate. I like these numbers, and personally believe they can fit into any diet for any purpose. For me, they're at that point where it isn't too heavy to throw into a cutting diet and it can easily be thrown into giant shakes for bulking purposes.
    The list of ingredients themselves can ultimately fit on one hand. That I like, a lot. For a lot of things (pizza not included), I prefer the "less is more" approach and champion quality over quantity. I feel you get that with Impact Whey.

MIXABILITY: C
    Was a bit let down, here. No matter how much water I used, there was always some small clumps left over. It took a couple tries before you finished the cup to get the clumps to diminish. Only my blender seemed to actually work in mixing Impact Whey clean on the first try.

TASTE: B
    Naturally flavored with some artificial help. Unfortunately, the taste was a bit watered down. I received the "chocolate nut" flavor, and I didn't get too much chocolate or nut. You get enough to know an attempt was made, but not much more. Still, I'd much rather have a weakly flavored one than something too strong and equally horrible tasting. Decent marks for not going over board and ruing itself.

EFFECTIVENESS: A
    Flexibility of use is good, as previously stated. In a breakfast smoothie or on its own, it fits in to whatever role you throw at it. It was light enough that I could drink it post workout and not ruin my appetite for a meal when I got home, and it fit right into whatever I threw into the blender for a smoothie.
    Stomach issues were non-existent. No bloating, no gas, no nothing bad. I like that a lot; give protein powder that doesn't turn me into a bloated fart machine, and you may just have a future customer.

VALUE: A
    Three different sizes are available to choose from; 2lb, 2.2lb, and a 5lb bag. Price per pound works out to $13.50, $12.27, and $11.00 respectively.
    I received a 2.2lb bag, which works out to roughly 40 one-scoop servings, and lasted for quite a while. At about $27 for the 2.2lb bag, the price is about as good as it gets.

OVERALL: B
    It's a simple protein that works. Not too much fluff, affordable pricing, and an agreeable taste that won't turn you into a walking fart bomb. Given the opportunity, I would indeed buy this again.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Easy On The Stomach
      DLP1
      TROOPer Level: 45
        June 23, 2015

Hi all, 3rd review here for me on SR and the second of a Myprotein product. I'll need to quit on the Myprotein reviews after this or I'll be getting a reputation as a Myprotein shill. Fact is that I have only been using basics like whey and now just getting into more supps having read many of the great write ups on the adult candy store that is SR. If my 58 year old ticker holds out I hope to be able to report back on some more interesting goodies I have just started on.

So onto Myprotein Impact Whey.

Girl dragon has reviewed the ingredients very nicely already to so need to repeat all of that. In summary, its 80% protein so a 25g gives you 20g protein, and a bit less for a flavored version. Small amount of carbs and fiber, depending which flavor you get.

Myprotein has a big range of flavors. I'm sure some of them are good. Personally I dont care that much. I care about the performance. As long as a supp works well I dont care if it tastes like a Turkish tram drivers jockstrap. If Im buying a product based on taste I'll go with a good ribeye over some colored powder anyway. But whey is whey so who can tell which performs better. And since many of you are big taste fans I'll tell you what I know. I have had raspberry, strawberry (sweetened with Stevia), banana and unflavored. They are OK. The banana is a little overpowering. Going forward I'll stay with unflavored because its cheapest and anyway I normally add a few frozen blueberries or strawberries.

Product mixes well enough (I always use non fat milk). The stevia flavored strawberry clumps a little when using a blender bottle, but no real biggie.

Not much to say on dosing - I take a scoop in milk, inbetween meals, normally with instant oats and some fruit.

Its whey protein - what can you say?

OK - here is really the main purpose of the review: Myprotein is big in Europe but still getting established in the US. They have increased their prices, presumably they were selling super cheap initially to get started. Right now an 11b bag is $85 on their website (shipping is free over $80). However there is no need ever to pay list price. At minimum you can get 25% off. They often have 40% off offers around holidays and at other times. Or you can follow their Twitter account to get a heads up when a deal is on. So at 40% off, 11lbs of unflavored is $51. Plus $6.95 shipping or free if you are buying over $80. For anyone on a budget who likes to save money on basics so they can spend it on other supps, thats a great deal. Shipping time to N Cal is 2 says, 3 days max. Plus it comes in a bag which is easy to stuff in a cupboard along with dead bodies etc.

Side Effects

I never get any bloating. Digests easily (for me at least).

Conclusion

Clean, simple product at a great price.
        grldrgn
          April 1, 2014

Impact Whey Protein (Strawberry Cream)
        A big thank you to staff at My Protein for giving me the opportunity to try the Strawberry Cream Whey Protein, one of the best tasting protein drinks I have tried in a very long time!

Ingredients:
        Fat: 1.7g
        Carbohydrates: 1.5g
        Calcium: 125.0mg
        Cholesterol: 0.5mg
        Please note this nutritional information is taken from the unflavored version. When choosing a flavored version it will reduce the protein content by approximately 3% for most flavours, however chocolate, due to the added cocoa, will reduce it by approximately 8%. Colorings Beetroot Red [raspberry, vanilla and raspberry, strawberry cream, strawberry jam roly poly, summer fruits and rhubarb & custard flavors only]

One of the first things I noticed about the My Protein brand is the lack of artificial colorings and other additives. I was worried about how this would affect mix ability and taste, however I soon found out my worries were unnecessary.

Dosage (N/A): The recommend serving is two scoops; however I adjusted this down to just one for me, the two large scoops just seemed to make me a little too full. For those ladies new to working out or just looking to replace a meal the one scoop would be enough. Those really looking to add a significant amount of protein to their diet should stay with the recommended dosage.

Taste-Mixability (9/10):
        Taste: Strawberry Cream: Oh my goodness this tasted fantastic! The strawberry wasn't overwhelming, mixed with Vanilla Almond milk it was really good. The powder mixes to a very thin consistency, almost like skim milk. A couple of times I mixed it with a few oats, even a banana or two and it made a fantastic smoothie. This product does not have the malt flavoring so many protein drinks have; it also wasn't as sweet as some of the others. For my first venture into strawberry flavors I would say this one hit a home run for me!

Mixability: This protein mixed with my almond milk completely, no lumps or residue. I always use my SR Supplement shaker bottle, after finishing the protein there wasn't a speck of residue left. I didn't even find any nasty little protein clumps on the lid!

Effectiveness: (8/10):
        My workout routine now includes about 20- 30 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes of weights five days a week. I am definitely noticing changes in my upper arms and legs (getting lots of compliments on my arms) with more muscle and better definition. I believe the extra protein is helping build muscle and achieve my fitness goals. Balancing the right amount of calories, proteins and fats is hard for me, utilizing the protein drinks makes it much easier for me, especially with a full time job, kids, and numerous other activities.

Value: (8/10):
        My Protein is a great value with several size options to choose from (2lbs, 5lbs, 11lbs). I really like the fact they have the smaller 2lbs size, a nice way to try a new flavor without investing as much money as the larger sizes. After checking around it seemed like there were some easy to find coupons for free shipping or 10% off which makes it even more affordable.

Overall: (8/10):
        YES! I liked and highly recommend this product. It is nice to see a company making a quality, affordable product without all the artificial crap. I also like the packaging, for those of us that travel it was easy to seal up the bag, throw it in my luggage and take on a couple different trips. This product was also sweet enough to satisfy my sweet tooth a couple of different times; I really enjoyed it when mixed with oats and a banana. With such a wide variety of flavors (21) I think anyone would be able to find one that appeals to them, in fact I'm trying the cookies and cream next!
        • Epic Taste
          mhseaver670
          TROOPer Level: 81

February 22, 2014

Alright everyone if you are looking for a new Protein and want some really interesting flavors, I would highly suggest this. This brand is Hugely known in the UK, and recently they have been trying to open things up in the US market.

Ingredients
          Now the label on mine was a bit hard to read, I guess the print got messed up or something. Or I am going blind. But this is what I got of their site.

Per 25g:
          Fat: 1.7g
          Carbohydrates: 1.5g
          Calcium: 125.0mg
          Cholesterol: 0.5mg
          Please note this nutritional information is taken from the unflavoured version. When choosing a flavoured version it will reduce the protein content by approximately 3% for most flavours, however chocolate, due to the added cocoa, will reduce it by approximately 8%.

Undenatured Whey Protein Concentrate*, Flavouring (flavoured options only) Natural Flavouring (natural options only),Sweetener (Sucralose® [flavoured options only])

Now I normally like Isolates better but Concentrates are not the devil either. I like that this has natural sweeteners and had no dyes in it either.
          But at around 20 grams of protein from a 25 gram scoop is pretty good.

Taste/ and mixability 100!
          Seriously guys this stuff was wicked tasty! I had the lemon cheesecake, It was good in water, milk or almond, or coconut milk. My favorite was mixing one scoop of this with one scoop of my king mass chocolate. That was so freaking awesome!. My wife even liked this stuff by itself and let me tell you, that is truly something there!. It reminds me of the nutrabio protein as it has a soft kinda moist look to it. It mixed like a boss as well. A few shakes and it was done, No clumps , No floaters, Just really good clean stuff here.
          Also they have 21 great looking flavors for the Impact whey available.

Effectiveness 8-9
          Well this is hard to judge but I will say I was recovering very well on this and it never upset my stomach. It seemed to digest well also, Never felt heavy on me either, In fact sometimes I would take a kinda protein shot ( very little water ) before hitting the gym.

Value 9
          A 2.2 lb bag is around 20 bucks and the 5 lbs is about 40 bucks.
          I had the 2.2 lb bag and I am not sure what the amount of servings it had in it, but I did seem to last way longer than most 2 lb proteins I have had. I also love the fact this is Bagged protein, Let me explain why. Its cheaper for them and it saves money for them, which in turn saves me money. Also Its kinda good that its not as wasteful. That is the hippie in me talking.

Overall 9
          I have to say I really liked this stuff and I will order the isolate next time to compare. I would highly suggest this stuff for someone trying to look for something good and tasty, as the way I look at it, If they are new to this sport they need a protein they will actually enjoy taking then I think this is a good pick and it will way more healthy for them too.

Pros:
           Cons:
          • Epic Taste
          • Easy On The Stomach
          • Good Recovery
          • No Isolates In It