(Better than 76% in Carbohydrates)

Instant Oats is a Carbohydrate Product manufactured by MyProtein. It is designed to provide the body with the vital macronutrient carbohydrates which is used as fuel to help performance as well as improve muscle recovery.

Energy Supplements > Carbohydrates

April 23, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Clean
  • Convenient
  • Versatile
  • Too Expensive Compared To Basic Oats

What is going on guys? I've got a thick, hearty review for you today and it's Oatmeal. I've eaten oatmeal on a daily basis for years so I thought why not give MyProtein's take on the classic meal a try.

It's a really simple ingredient list: Ground Oats, and Flavoring Sweetener (Sucralose, flavored options only). I got the vanilla flavor so the added ingredient would be some sort of vanilla sweetener. The macronutrients are,in my opinion, what sets this product apart from your everyday oatmeal.

Serving Size: 2 and 1/3 large scoops (100g)
A 5.5 pound bag has 25 servings in it. As you can imagine these are HEARTY servings.

Calories: 390
Fat: 8g
Carbs: 68g
Fiber: 10g
Sugar: .5g
Protein: 13g

If you are doing any sort of bulking then these are dreamy macros to see. A lot of people say they can't gain weight and that's usually due to not eating enough. Start your day off with 68g of carbs with only HALF a gram of that being sugar!! It's a very easy carb source with a good amount of fiber and a little protein in it as well. If you are cutting I think you could make it work I just know that for me personally in like to save most of my carbs for later in the day when I'm reallllly getting hungry. This is a pretty straight forward product being 'instant oats' and the ingredient label matches that.

Taste: Vanilla, On its own, this product is pretty bland. I didn't really get much of a vanilla taste at all just the familiar taste of plain oats. It's probably a 5/10 in the taste department for me. Now, when you add in some sugar-free syrup or honey and mix it all up this stuff tastes great but the product by itself does not bring much in the flavor department.

Mixibility: For the purpose of this review I tried mixing one serving in a blender bottle. All i can say is don't try it lol. It obviously barely mixed at all (oatmeal doesn't really mix like a pre-workout) and I would highly recommend using a blender to add it to smoothies. The blender mixes everything up with no problems whatsoever.

Dosage: I would mix 1 serving every morning with a bowl of fruit, water and some honey in the microwave or I would add it to a protein shake in the blender with some whey and milk. If you like your shakes a little runny add more milk as needed, but if you like it thicker then pace yourself and start off with just a little milk.

Regardless how I consumed the product, I was full for at least 2 hours every time. This stuff is heavy and it will stick around in your system. This was great for me because on days where I had to go into the office early I didn't have to bust open a protein bar an hour after my 'breakfast' because I was hungry again like I usually would.
Instant oats are like any other food though, I'm consuming it for the macronutrient benefits. It gave me easy carbs to start off everyday and helped me get a jumpstart on my daily fiber intake.

You can only get this through the MyProtein website to my knowledge and for some weird reason, you can only purchase the 2.2 pound bag right now for $13. That's $13 for 10 servings. For me personally, I'm going to give this value a 6 because you can buy regular oats in bulk for far cheaper, however, you'd have to use multiple servings in order to achieve the same macronutrient benefits as this product offers. So I can see why it could be justified in some cases, but just not in my case lol.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you're on a bulk and need easy carbs then this is a great way to start off your day. (If you like oatmeal) but even if you don't you could try mixing them into a shake. the value knocks down the overall rating just a little, but hopefully they'll restock the bigger sizes so you can get more bang for your buck.

Advertisement:
Members don't see ads: Join SR for Free

September 23, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Clean
  • Convenient
  • Versatile
    Shout out and thanks to the My Protein dudes for the hook up, once again.

INGREDIENT PROFILE: A
    Instant Oats seems to be just that, ground up oatmeal and flavor powder of your choice. Initially, you would this product would be somewhat pointless then. I did, but then one serving of Quaker Instant Oatmeal is only 19g of carbohydrates, compared to My Protein Instant Oats 70g. So, maybe it isn't quite the same thing.
    The ingredient profile is short and simple, and only two ingredients change depending on which flavor you get.
    Instant Oats is heavy in the calorie department, so just be aware of that. Furthermore, I wouldn't rely on Instant Oats for any significant amount of protein. The unflavored version, which has the highest amount of protein per serving, has only 8.5g. The chocolate flavor has the least.
    All in all, Instant Oats is just that: oatmeal. They don't fluff it up with useless things (as far as I'm concerned), and keep it simple and straight forward.

TASTE: C
    I received the "chocolate smooth" flavor, and it wasn't the best by any means. As far as chocolate flavors go, it was rather weak. Furthermore, the texture threw me for a loop every time (if I didn't throw it in a blender for a smoothie).

MIXING: B
    I'm going to be a bit lenient here, since ground up oatmeal really doesn't mix into water all that well on its own anyhow. In a shaker cup, it always came out gritty and unpleasant in general. However, in a blender it came out just fine. Make of that what you will.

EFFECTIVENESS: A
    At the end of the day, it is still only food. So, there shouldn't be much to expect in terms of results.
    I typically used Instant Oats either for breakfast or pre-workout, as part of a smoothie in both instances. I typically used one whole serving, but if I knew it would be awhile until the nest meal I doubled down.
    My smoothies typically included frozen fruit, one lone banana, peanut butter, Greek yogurt, and on occasion protein powder. It's a lot, but it could be four hours from pre-workout meal to my post-workout meal. It's not ideal, but that's the way it is right now. Using Instant Oats I easily cleared 100g of carbohydrates pre-workout, and I rarely had a bad workout when I smashed an Instant Oats smoothie beforehand. It didn't bloat me up too much, and it didn't sit in my stomach and make me feel sluggish and generally uncomfortable.
    In a breakfast smoothie, it would fill me up just enough that I wouldn't be starving come meal #2or lunch for normal folk.
    The biggest thing was convenience. It took about 10 minutes to get a smoothie together, and if need be I could jump in my car and git and drink as I go. I can't really do that with a bowl of oatmeal and scrambled eggs.

VALUE: A
    I received a 5.5lb bag, so the value rating will be for that.
    One 5.5lb bag contains roughly 25 servings, and goes for around $13. Now, you could buy a big box of instant oatmeal from a place like Costco for about the same price, and get 52 servings. However, when you try to match up the macros that 52 servings shrinks to roughly 17 servings. So, My Protein Instant Oatmeal might be more cost effective.

OVERALL: B
    Food is food, and I love food. That aside, I can't really complain about MY Protein's Instant Oats. It filled a need nicely, and it wouldn't have broken the bank. The convenience of a shake vs a bowl of oatmeal is the kicker, for me.
    If you are really interested, it's a good buy you wouldn't be disappointed with.
    • Chocolate Smooth: 7/10

Advertisement:
    Members don't see ads: Join SR for Free

Overall
    Overall
    6.6
    6.8
    5.8
      August 14, 2015

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Clean
    • Convenient
    • Mixes Easy
    • !
    • Not Practical
    • Buy At The Local Store!
    Thanks again to MyProtein for providing the experts with some of their products. This review is for the INSTANT OATS. In the interest of full disclosure I use oats on a regular basis. As with my peanut butter review, this will be short and simple, not much you can say about this product.

Ingredients - Whole Gain 100% Oats, dark chocolate flavoring.

Effectiveness - This is a slow burning, Low GI, solid carb product. I used this on a daily basis in my morning blended shake. Roughly 3-4 scoops. The consistency of this product is already somewhat powderized. Overall, this performs as you would expect with any other Oat product.

Mix - Mixes fairly well without a blender, but I would still recommend a blender.

Value - Here is where the rub is... I can't justify spending a premium on this product, when simple oats you by at your local store are just as effective and much cheaper. Oats are really a standard product, once you remove the "quick" instantiated variety.

Conclusion - The only way I would recommend this product is if you are looking for a great mixing oat product and do not have access to a blender. The dark chocolate taste was solid and complemented the protein you mixed it with, very well..

August 10, 2015

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Clean
    • Convenient

Ingredients

----------
      Scottish Oats ground into a fine powder. What could be simpler? Not good enough? How bout some flavor? Toss in some cocoa powder. DONE!

Each 42g scoop will give you roughly 100 calories consisting of 4g Protein, 3g Fat and 30g carbs with 4g of dietary fiber. This nutritional breakdown is right in line with the same old Quaker Oats we've been eating for over 100 years.

Taste / Mixing

------
      By itself, as I'm sure you can imagine, Instant Oats is a very dry and dusty powder void of much deliciousness. The addition of cocoa flavoring does very little to make it something you'd want to consume by itself. However, toss a scoop or two of this oat powder in with your favorite protein powder and you've got yourself a well rounded meal that will give you a nice slow release of energy that only a quality low G.I. carb can do.

-------
      I used Instant Oats exclusively in my post workout shakes and on several occasions as a meal replacement shake. There were many evenings that my post workout protein shake consisting of 1 scoop each of 100% Isolate, 100% Casein, PB2 and MyProtein's Instant Oats in a large shaker filled with 1% milk. This would hold me off until the next morning without any hunger issues at all. Honestly I couldn't ask more from a product. So simple, but accomplishes so much in regards to dietary desires.

Lastly, let's not forget the great health benefits of oats as there are many studies touting how dietary fiber can reduce your risk of colorectal cancer and lower your bad cholesterol levels.

----------------
      An 11 pound bag of unflavored Instant Oats can be had on the MyProtein website for $15, while a 5.5 pound bag is $11.
      For those wanting some chocolate flavoring added, a 5.5 pound bag will run you $13. Honestly people, this is just silly cheap.

For those of you thinking "Hey, I'll just run to the local grocery store, pick up some Quaker Oats and grind my own powder."

Amazon is currently selling 10 pounds of Quaker Oats for $18 and you'd still have to grind it up. Certainly no savings there.

Also I should add that at the time of this writing, if you purchase a bag of Instant Oats from MyProtein, you will get an additional 30% off your entire order. And as usual, spend more that $80 and your shipping charges are free.

Final Words

---------
      Though I was not very creative in utilizing the versatility this product deserves, it suited my current needs to a T. I plan to purchase an 11 lb. bag of this in the very near future as it will now be a permanent addition to my kitchen's pantry. For product quality, price and ease of use, you just can't go wrong with this one. I couldn't recommend it any higher.

9.5
        July 31, 2015

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Clean
      • Convenient
      • Versatile
        Myprotein.com does it again with another product I will be spending my cold hard cash on. Whether on a bulk, recomp, or a cut, everyone needs to meet your diet macro's somehow.

Profile
        I will attempt to post a pic of the label off my bag.
        Because my bag is a touch different than what is list one the site.
        SITE nutritional info:
        of which mono unsaturates: 3.3g
        of which poly unsaturates: 3.3g
        Dietary Fibre: 8.8g
        Sodium: 30.0mg

Please note this nutritional information is taken from the unflavored version. When choosing a flavored version it will reduce the protein content by approximately 3% for most flavors, however chocolate, due to the added cocoa, will reduce it by approximately 8%.

The biggest difference is the serving size, my bag says 3 scoops and the site says 2 for a 100g. I do not have scales so I could not see what the difference was.
        Pretty basic oat mix that most have probably seen before.

Value 9.5
        I feel that the way I used this, it was worth its weight in gold. For less than 12 bucks I would have around 30 servings or more of something helps in many different times and ways on my diet ( or lack there of most of the time )
        i used mostly 2 scoops and felt that was enough oats for me to work for what I wanted it for.

Effectiveness 8. 5
        No I do not get huge pumps and crazy focus and energy from this. But I did get a good Low GI carb that worked great in SOO many ways I tried. I Only wish I had a bigger bag.
        I used this in my morning waffle mix on occasion, I used this on my mid morning protein shake, I used this on occasion as a post workout too, when I knew it would be a bit before actual real food was available.
        Cooking
        Worked really well. very fine like powder, mixed as easy as normal flour. Baked easy on the times I used it. I wish I would have had unflavored to use on more meals.
        Mid morning shakes
        I mixed 2 scoop in with my Myprotein.com Isolate and had a solid shake that had great macro's to it and held me well past my lunch time.
        Post workout.
        Normally I go for a isolate and some food, but this was really nice to have when I would have other things take my time and meals was not available.
        I feel my recovery was improved from this, simply due to me getting the much needed carbs.

Taste
        I had smooth chocolate and it was good. Not great but not bad either. The oats gave it a kinda dry feel in my throat and would occasionally almost choke me a bit. For the ease of use , and great blending ease I could look over this.

Overall
        Overall I know I will try again, but I will get the unflavored version as I would like to try the baking part with it a bit more. Myprotein.com continues to be one of my top picks for products like this. Well done and thanks for letting me give this a go.

Overall
        Overall
        9.6
          June 18, 2015

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Clean
        • Convenient

First review from a newbie here on SR so here goes with a little background as per posting rules. I am 58 and have been weight training continuously since I was 25. Never been strict on diet but kept in OK shape (6ft, 210-212lbs, 20% BF). Moved from UK to N California about 6 years ago. I used creatine when it first came out in 1990's. Nothing much beyond that. I have a degree in chemistry which is useful (biochemistry would have been awesome in hindsight). Now that I am traveling less on business and can get in the gym more (4-5 times/wk instead of 2-3times) I decided to get more serious about training and also supplement. So far only the usual Whey, BCAAs, creatine, eating better (and reduced to about 2300kCal/day), cut out alcohol in the week. I put on some muscle and down to 15% BF at 209lbs. Now I want to get to steady 10% BF without losing more muscle (or maybe gain a little)

Being from the UK I am familiar with Myprotein and they have a good reputation for clean products at a good price. I first got onto them via a good website http://www.true-natural-bodybuilding.com

I use their Whey products, BCAA (for additional supplementation since they only offer a regular powder - for pre and intra workout BCAA I prefer a micronized product like USP's) - and also their Instant Oats. And since no one else has reviewed it, here goes...

Very simple: Instant Oats is just 100% oats, ground up so you can mix it in a shake. No other additives (typical of Myprotein) - except for sweeteners and flavorings unless you get the unflavored version which is the only one I use. Here is the nutritional info from their label:

Per 100g:
          of which mono unsaturates: 3.3g
          of which poly unsaturates: 3.3g
          Dietary Fibre: 8.8g
          Sodium: 30.0mg

Basically this is just a source of low GI complex carbs to take whenever you want. Add it to your Whey shakes during the day to keep hunger at bay. I just use a level scoop which is 42g. Mixes good by hand with a blender bottle, as long as you swirl the contents as you get near the button to get the small amount of larger particles that settle out. Tastes like oats, surprisingly. Generally, I'm not that big on taste - some people seem obsessed by it. If a product works well I dont care if it tastes like dog poo - I'll do it.

Its a convenient source of clean complex carbs, so from that viewpoint sits very effective. Beyond that, nothing much to say. I gave it 8 for effectiveness just because its hard to measure. I could have given it 10 but since you can't measure it I didn't want to do that.

Dirt cheap - US list price is $14.99 for 11lbs, and Myprotein always has offers on. They do a site wide 40% off for Black Friday for example. Other times you can normally get 25% off. IN the US, Myprotien ships very fast and free shipping over $80.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Great, natural, clean, basic product for your diet or balancing out your carb/protein/fat ratio - at a great price.

100% recommended!