Real Food Reviews

By: 5% Nutrition

ARTICLES

Energy Supplements > Carbohydrates
Real Food is a Carbohydrate Product manufactured by 5% Nutrition. It is designed to provide the body with the vital macronutrient carbohydrates which is used as fuel to help performance as well as improve muscle recovery.

7.1
  June 20, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Solid Profile.
  • Pricey

Hello again. 5% Nutrition by Rich Piana ( Rest in Peace). The massive individual against Macro-Nutrient sources that wasnt from whole foods. I am currently not on any specific program, im not looking to grow or cut drastically anytime soon, I wanted a carb source and finally landed on Real Food

The key is in the simplicity of this product, this particular review will be shorter than normal but hopefully by the end you will understand why.
When looking for a Carb source I was not intending on using it Intra or post workout, i did not want any rapid absorption or Insulin response, so i was looking to stay away from Dextrose, Maltodextrin, Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin and so on. I wanted something to literally replace a whole food carb source when I was not hungry but needed to fill in my macros.
Real Food was pretty much the only product I could find that fit my current need, Im sure there are more out there but I am also too lazy to keep looking around extensively.
As far as we know Rich Piana was against overly processed macronutrients, Now a lot of people may argue the Semantics of his personal stance vs his supplement line which is processed by nature, so lets forget all that and just look at the Product at face value.

Essentially Rich Piana wanted certain carb sources, dehydrated them and processed it into powder form.
Serving Size 1scoop 30g
Pounded Yams 10,000mg
Oats 7000mg
Sweet Potato 10,000mg
Blueberry Fruit 500mg

If you add up all the active ingredients you get 27g or 90% leaving 3g or 10% for colors, flavors etc. This is a very impressive ratio.
Each serving will give you 20grams of Carbohydrates.

Taste is great. There are currently 2 flavors, Sweet potato Pie and Blueberry Cobbler, The Sweet Potato is very yummy with a creamy cake undertone especially when mixed with a good Vanilla protein powder. The Blueberry is a little sweet on the palate but not over bearing.
Now when you are judging the mixability be careful, these are whole food sources, so you will have chunks of oats floating all throughout the bottle then settling on the bottom, you will need to shake your bottle before every sip. Still easy to drink as long as you dont mind chewing on the oats, but it is better used when blending the product.
There isnt anything to comment on dosing. its a carb source and you get carbs.

As mentioned above it is all depending on your need. As a carb source to fit your macros throughout the day it is perfect, Complex Carbohydrate sources that will not drastically spike your Insulin or absorb immediately.
I would not find this ideal as an Intra Workout source as the digestion will be very slow or for Immediate Post workout as again the digestion and absorption will be slow, but if you need to fill in your carbs with a shake, smoothie, sludge or oatmeal then this is a great product.

This was my only real issue with the product. Here in Canada it is a little expensive, I have seen it on sale for roughly $50 up to $79.99. For a 60 serving tub it is a little expensive for a slow digesting carb source without any other ingredient or need

Side Effects

I have been fine with the product. It is sweetened with Sucralose so for those that dont like artificial sweeteners might want to stay away
It is a Complex Carb source, because it is in powder form doesnt change your Daily caloric intake or need. If you drink too much of it beyond your need you will gain some weight.

Conclusion

Overall, if you can find this on sale then it is a good product. It is definitely not needed as you can eat the same complex carbs instead of buying a supplement. If you are on a Lean Bulk and are the type of person that just cant higher volumes of clean whole foods then it is a great Carbohydrate product.
  • Sweet Potato Pie: 9/10

May 11, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Solid Profile.
  • Helps Meet Macro Goals
  • Food Pumps
  • Oats Sink To Bottom
  • Pricey
  • Annoying Scooper

I used this product while doing Rich Piana's bigger by the day and the resurrection programs. I like it but I have a few issues with it. My review is based on mixing a scoop of real food with 2 scoops of protein and 10oz of water.

Real Food is full of great complex carbs. The carb sources are yams, sweet potatoes, oats, and blueberry powder. Each scoop contained 100 calories coming from 1g of fat, 20g of carbs, and 1g of protein. This product also has 17g of fiber and 1g of sugar. I really like this ingredient profile because these are some of the best complex carbs you can find.

I had the sweet potato pie flavor and it was okay. Mixed well with vanilla protein, 6/10.
Mixability was okay, the oats float to the bottom and clump up even with a blender ball.
I used a scoop dose post workout or a 2 scoop dose as a meal replacement.

This product is an effective way to add complex carbs to your diet. But I like to eat my carbs, especially when I'm cutting. And this is no different than just eating the carb sources that are listed in the product. The best time for this product was when I was in a time crunch for a meal and just made a shake to replace it, or when I absolutely could not eat any more carbs and needed to drink my calories (this was extremely rare).

The value of this product is not great. It is cheaper to just eat your carbs if you are only using this as a carb supplement. If it is a meal replacement the value is even worse because you will need to also buy a protein powder when you can just buy a mass gainer for the same price as real food with even better complex carbs (such as Carb10). Again, I prefer to eat my carbs, it is cheaper and more satisfying.
I paid $43.95 for the 60 sv tub from Amazon. It is available a bit cheaper from other retailers but I have not seen a price that makes it worth purchasing again.

Side Effects

Conclusion

A great product in theory but the value is not there. Next time I will just grab a mass gainer or some sweet potatoes from the supermarket.
  • Sweet Potato Pie: 6/10

December 22, 2016

• Pricey

Hi all, back at you with another review. This time on something a bit out of the ordinary (like Rich himself)- 5%'s Real Food. Now admittedly so I'm not the biggest fan of Rich but I gotta give him credit where its due, This product is top notch.

(pictured below)
To me this a complete complex carb source, filled only with what it states which is great! No fillers, no issues. One can argue that possibly more can could've been added to this mix, but if it ain't broke?

----Taste---
(with the inclusion of chocolate whey)
Sweet potatoe pie 8/10 - I didn't expect much from this flavor but I was wrong, it has a pleasant tart taste with a hint of sweetness, but as always I mixed R.F. with a double scoop of chocolate whey protein which tasted very good.
blueberry cobbler 7/10 - This flavor was a tad too sweet for my liking, but nonetheless it was still good.

Mixability

No matter how you look at it, R.F. is going to be thickish due to the nature of the product and its core ingredients being what they are, but having said that I usually made R.F. into a thick sludge that I would refrigerate, and I have no issues at all.

Easy, mix 1-2 scoops of R.F in what ever you please to get in them good complex carbs.

Now before every one thinks my scoring is over zealous please bare in mind where I'm coming from. R.F. isn't gonna make you pack huge amounts of muscle or boost your test, to me this is simply another way to easily fit in complex carbs into your diet. This being somewhat predigested adds to its score, as its less taxing on your stomach,especially if you have sensitive stomach like myself. I use this to great success even when I'm dieting or not I always throw in a double scooper and that does the trick as my pre workout meal, and in no time in ready to pump the iron without gaseous exchanges(depending on what preworkout I use) LOL. Simply this is one of my favorite products of all time, as it's so much more convenient than cooking up yams,oats,sweet potatoes and buying some blueberries. Best thing is I can travel with it and it wont spoil, all these positives make this a perfect 10er.

Here is where the biggest down fall comes, The price is rather ridiculous this side of the world. A tub costs around $78, which made me think twice about buying it, but I assessed the situation and I had to give this a go or else I'd simply never know what I am missing or what I wasn't. A tub generally lasts me just over a month, due to my non training days being carb free. But if I was going heavy on the carbs I'd seriously reconsider...

Side Effects

This is really hard for me to score, because I only noticed one side effect which was if taken too close to a workout (taking a preworkout) I'd have a session spray painting the toilet bowl. But this I found was only due to the pre workout I was taking and not R.F. As a stand alone I noticed no issues whatsoever, so this is just a caution assess it yourself first.

Conclusion

My conclusion is this, If you really love/need something you will find a way to get, for me R.F. has that same appeal. It is a superior complex carb source which has aided me tremendously especially when it comes to sticking to my meal plan and also it being so convenient I have no excuse not to get some quality macros in.It would also be cool to see them add a few more different flavors too as I'm assuming the flavors can get interesting if they wanted it to. And let me not forget to mention its gentle on the stomach... The price is a concern but that's just because of where I live, it does last me over a month but as mentioned if your consuming more than 2 scoops daily its gonna be insanely pricey. Price aside R.F. is so worth it, Thanks Rich ;) #whateverittakes lol
  • Blueberry cobbler: 7/10
  • Sweet Potato Pie: 8/10

9.5
  November 9, 2015

• Better Scooper
I want to thank 5% Nutrition for participating in the TROOPs program. I was hesitant to grab anything from 5% Nutrition the first time I saw it but after the initial reviews started popping up and then the second round of offerings came through I decided to give Real Food a shot. I love the way 5% went about getting their products in the hands of the TROOPers. They definitely put themselves out there and did not throw caution to the wind as they offered 15 bottles of their product line each time they came up for the TROOP program. I know I have reviewed some products where the manufacturer got butt-hurt because of the review but if you have a quality product at a fair price then this should not be an issue. I feel the Real Food is one of those products.

What is Real Food? From Rich Piana's website, "Real Food represents a simplistic whole food carbohydrate source consisting of REAL sweet potatoes, yams, oatmeal and dried fruit! The carbohydrates in Real Food are low blood sugar impacting complex carbohydrates that are assimilated at rate slow enough to prevent them from being stored as fat, also known as low glycemic index carbs."

Dosing:
This is pretty much up to you and your carbohydrate needs. One 30 gram scoop provided 100 calories, 1g of fat, 20g of carbs, and 1 g of protein. I tended to use this mostly post workout. I would use one scoop of this, one scoop of malto and a couple scoops of protein powder. I do a shake after my workouts mostly for convenience and Real Food was a nice change from the ground oat powder that I would normally put in my shake. Every now and again when I wanted a quick breakfast or not know what to eat for breakfast I would make a shake with Real Food by using 2 servings and 2 servings of a protein powder.

Taste:
I requested and received the blueberry cobbler flavor. I was hesitant of this at first because how do you mask the taste of ground up sweet potatoes and yams but upon first taste I was blown away. It tasted just like blueberry cobble but was not overly sweet. I looked forward to using this each and every time. I had some hesitations about mixing it with protein powders but it seemed to work with almost each one I tried (chocolate, strawberry, lemon, apple custard, toffee, plus others). The only one that missed the mark was mixing it with cinnamon. Finally, a great tasting carb source besides just ground up oatmeal!

Mixability:
No real issues here. Some people may not like the oatmeal not being ground up as it settles at the bottom. A little shake or swirl before a drink would get it floating around again. It may also require a little chewing for some. I usually just swigged the oats down without chewing. Everything else mixed fine and it never mixed too thick which was a concern at first. I could mix 1-2 scoops in 12oz of water or more and never have it thicken up on me.

Real Food worked how it was supposed to. You need extra carbs for your daily needs throw some in a shaker and drink it down. You need a quick and easy substitute for a meal throw some in a shaker with some protein and drink it down. I used it as a meal replacement post workout. I can't say I made any crazy gains off of it but it did the job I needed it for and provided a nice alternative to my usual carb source.

Price:
The cheapest I could find this is $41.95 for the 60 serving tub. Not the best price for a carb source as I think I pay around $24 for 90 servings of Muscle Feast's whole oat powder. Still not overly expensive unless you are going to be using 3 servings or more at a time. I used 1-2 servings most of the time so to me it is still budget friendly. While I feel it could be priced a little lower, $30-$35 range, I would still pay the $42 every once in a while to have something different than just ground oats.

Overall:
Real Food is one of the few almost perfect products in my opinion. Grind up the oats and bring the price down a little and it would be perfect for me. This is a product that does what it is supposed to in my opinion and is one that I will be spending my money on when I am in need of a good quality carb source. Plus the compliment I got from my son was nice "Hey dad, you look like the guy on the container!" HA! I only wish I looked something close to that.
  • Blueberry cobbler: 9/10

October 13, 2015

• Oats Sink To Bottom
When a supplement company starts as the brainchild of some big ugly dude whose profession seems to be spouting steroid broscience on YouTube, it's fair to be skeptical. I sure was. When I saw this come up as a TROOPs opportunity I thought I'd get a free tub then laugh at the suckers who overspent for some "real food." But having used this stuff, I definitely won't feel like a sucker when (not if) I order a tub.

This product is a simple and solid attempt at creating a way to supplement your diet with healthy carbs.

No, I'm not getting ahead of myself with a perfect rating for the ingredient profile. What are the carb sources you typically see in the context of fitness? Potatoes, rice, and oats are the overwhelmingly common ones. Low processing, tasty or easily flavored, versatile, and easy to cook. This product incorporates sweet potatoes and oats into a highly convenient package. Each scoop comes out to 20g of carbs which leaves the user able to customize their use based on their needs. Anybody can fit some multiple of 20g carbs into their diet plan.

Overall, I just can't come up with a profile that better fits the intentions of this product. There's nothing I'd change, so full marks for the ingreds.

Taste & Mixability

9/10 for taste. I got the blueberry cobbler and both alone or with unflavored whey this stuff was delicious. Always looked forward to it.

8/10 for mixability. Used 14-16 oz of water for 2 scoops Real Food and it mixed perfectly in a blender bottle with the tornado-y twisty thing. No clumps like other reviews have mentioned. The same amount of water worked the same with added unflavored whey. Settling was a problem, but a swirl before drinking solves that.

This product claims to conveniently help anybody meet their needs for whole food. Meets those claims. Even the container helped add to that with a big accessible tub and easy to use shovel scooper. I used a double scoop after my workouts or in the afternoon on non-workout days and could clearly tell by the end of a month that I had been adding 200 calories a day to my diet. One thing about drinking your calories that can be a pro or con depending on your goals is that they don't leave you feeling as full. This allowed me to get these quality calories in without interrupting my normal intake and basically threw in some healthy calories to keep me about maintenance. Sweet. I think the taste should be mentioned again here, as being able to look forward to this shake as much as I look forward to a hot meal just further develops this product as 'real food.'

Use as a last minute meal replacement is also great.

A 4lb 60serving tub goes for $42 at IPYP. There's no way around the fact that this means paying over $10/lb for potatoes and oats. The taste and convenience are the only things that differentiate this from those FAR cheaper staples. I'm usually thrifty, but I enjoyed this stuff enough that I'd buy this stuff. The convenience and taste make up for that price difference.

Side Effects

n/a

Conclusion

Thanks to 5% you guys really exceeded my expectations. I'm glad you guys realized what you had there and put it up in the TROOPs program to show the world that you're the real deal. 'Real Food' fits like a glove into the niche that this company recognized that it could fill, and by making the taste, mixability, and convenience top notch, this stuff is definitely going to be incorporated into future supplementation for me.
  • Blueberry cobbler: 9/10

October 7, 2015

• Oats Sink To Bottom
Real Food is actually "REAL FOOD" lol unlike most supplements that put stuff like this on their label; Real Food lives up to its name. Probably about as simple as you can get in terms of carbohydrates but the purpose of these carbs is to help shuttle nutrients in if you want post workout, or could be added with protein and create a killer meal replacement or mass gainer. Real food contains pounded Yam as well as Sweet potatoes two great carb sources and ones that make it easier to reach your fitness goals versus dextrose, which is table sugar. They also throw in some oats that are another staple carb in any bodybuilder/power lifter diet.

Effectiveness: 9

This is as effective as it gets because your body can utilize everything that comes from this. It shouldn't even be classified as a supplement and it would be awesome if you could pick this up at the grocery store. I would normally take two shovels full after a workout mixed with about 30-40g protein. This kept me full and satisfied for a good 2 hours or so. Most of the time I would eat within the first hour but sometimes the day would drag on at work and I would be unable to get a meal in. Real Food helped me to be without food just that much longer.

An interesting note, if I took this with protein in the morning instead of my eggs and oatmeal (standard), it would leave me with an upset stomach and I would be hungry within an hour(I can normally go 2-3 hours without another meal on my standard breakfast). The only thing I can think of is obviously this is not as dense as a cup of cooked oatmeal so it's not going to fill up your stomach as much. The other reason I could have had a bad reaction is the sucralose which most of the time does not sit well with me. Whatever the reason if I kept this post workout only I was fine and full. I forget to try and physically cook the Real Food and see if it tasted ok going through the microwave, but it might be a good experiment for someone to try out (Great macros as well).

I would say maybe take the sucralose out and make an unflavored version, although I loved the sweet potato pie flavor. With an unflavored version you can mix it with anything and it probably won't give any stomach discomfort. I'm going to invest in some Sweet Potato powder from True Nutrition and see if I get the same benefits as I saw from Real Food just without the artificial flavors.

Taste: 9

Like I said before the sweet potato pie flavor was great. It tasted like it had a ton of sugar in it but that was not the case, sweet potatoes and yams do just taste that good (sucralose helps). I would like to see what other flavors they will come up with next; they should all taste fairly good.

Value: 7

Pretty good value at 60 servings that will last you longer than 60 days because half the time the scoop is not as accurate. However I did see this available in the mid to lower $30's on illpumpyouup.com, it now has increased to $41 which is getting up their in price. For the amount you get and the great carb sources and taste, I will say the value is still pretty good.

Overall: 8

A great product that shouldn't have many negatives, unless you don't like oatmeal or sweet potatoes. This should be a staple in any diet along with actual sweet potatoes and oatmeal. You can't go wrong taking this, and even if you are cutting you could fit this in your diet. 5% has a real winner here.
  • Sweet Potato Pie: 9/10

September 30, 2015

• Helps Meet Macro Goals

Here we go with yet another review of a great product from Rich Piana's 5% nutrition. Big thanks to the folks at 5% and SR for getting this lineup into the TROOP program so a lot of us could try it out. Real Food is basically a big tub of all your favorite, healthy carb sources all packed in with a great taste. I found this to be a pretty unique product in the industry, and found tons of ways it could be beneficial to anyone's lineup. Let's get to it.

The ingredient profile here is very straight forward. One scoop provides you with 100 calories, 20 grams of carbs and 1.7 grams of fiber. I think those amounts are great and give you a lot of flexibility. The meat (or should I say veggie) of this product is the sweet potato, pounded yam, oats and blueberry fruit powder. Alongside that you get some of your basic vitamins, calcium and potassium. For what this product is geared toward, I'd say this is a pretty flawless profile.

I had the blueberry cobbler flavor, and I really liked it by the end. I didn't like it quite as much when I first tried it, as the texture and blueberry taste kind of threw me off guard. But by the end, I was almost craving it.

Some people have mentioned issued with the mixability when using this in your standard shaker bottle, but I felt I got what I expected. When you open this big tub and look inside, you can instantly tell that unless you toss this stuff into an actual blender, you might be doing some sloshing and chewing. This wasn't something that bothered me. My only advice would be to reshake your bottle before each sip because this stuff sinks to the bottom real quick. I often mixed it with some protein which worked well and usually tasted great with chocolate and vanilla-type flavors. I found myself giving this stuff a good chewing at the end of each sip, but it is food after all.

Dosing protocol for this might be my favorite part. Basically use as much as you want, as often as you want! The label does reccomend no more than 2 scoops in your shaker at once, and I would be willing to bet this is due to the mixability issue. But honestly, this product is one of the most diverse additions to my closet I have ever seen. As we know, nutrition is extremely important, and this product really lets you fine tune your dietary needs.

I'm not entirely sure how many scoops I got out of the tub since the scooper is a kind of odd shape. You can really load a lot up on the scooper, or just level it off. I saw that the rep on here said to go for level scoops, so I went with that after reading it.

Kind of hard to rate the effectiveness of food, so I rated it more for its usability. This isn't some kind of crazy PWO or straight waxy-maze, just real food. It was very effective in every scenario I used it. In the morning, waking up at 5am for work, I could pound 2 scoops of this with some protein and feel like I had a whole breakfast. It was awesome. It would easily hold me over until lunch. Pre and post workout was also great. One scoop before a workout would get me feeling fueled up for my workout, and one scoop with some protein post-workout would get me nice and filled up until my next meal.

Around 40 bucks for a tub of this stuff is almost a steal in my opinion. Of course we can just go buy oats at walmart for next to nothing, I get that, but I really like the idea that there are several carb sources packed into this, and at 60 scoops per tub, you can make it last quite a while. Depending on your diet, you may only use one scoop per day to supplement your diet. I could even see buying this and just using it for one scoop in the mornings when I work early. In that case, it would last 2 month. That works for me. The value of this product will be what you make it.

Side Effects

Nothing but a satisfying full feeling.

Conclusion

I've been on a pretty good role of good products lately. Rich Piana and 5% nutrition have made an excellent entry into the supplement world for sure. Unless you are on a strict no-carb diet, I can't see anyone not finding a pretty decent use for Real Food. It won't surprise me when I'm buying another tub of this stuff real soon.

Thanks again to 5% Nutrition and the TROOP program. Can't say enough good things about them both. Thanks for reading and sorry if I'm a little all over the place. I have a bad head cold and I'm borderline tripping off some dayquil here. Go out and try some of this stuff for yourself and let us all know how you liked it!

9.2
      September 17, 2015

• Could Use Some More Carb Quantity Per Serving
    • Better Scooper
    I want to give a big shout out to Rich Pina 5% nutrition For letting us Troopers have the chance to try this awesome product. I did hesitate a bit at first weather or not I wanted to try this product. When I had the chance to claim this product to try I passed on it and then decided next time it was up for grabs I would give it a try. So glad I finally decided to try this product and wish I would have done it sooner when I had the chance.

Ingredients:
    This is a pretty simple and straight forward ingredient profile. This is made up of mainly yams, oats, sweet potato's and blueberry fruit powder. This is like eating real food. Also you are getting 20g of carbs per serving. You also get 1g sugar and 1g of protein. I would like to see them add more protein so what I did was add a scoop of my protein to this which really helped more. I like that this is not filled with a bunch of extra fillers and is made up of mainly whole foods. I would like to see the over all carb source upped a little in this. I am not going to go into much more on detail since I think the Ingredient profile has been covered good by all the other reviews so far.

Value:
    Right now the only place I could find this was on illpumpyouup.com. When I first got this product about 2 months ago they wanted around $35 for this product. I just checked right now as I am writing this and see they upped the price a little to $39.95. So about a $5 increase. That's not to bad for a product like this and you get 60 serving at least but I know a lot of people will be doing more than one scoop per day like I did sometimes so price may seem just a little high. I would like to see them lower the price a little and keep it between $30 and $35. Unless they could add more protein and some more carbs to it then I could see the price being around $40. I guess for what you get it's not a horrible price.

Taste:
    This comes in two flavors blueberry cobbler and sweet potato. I went with the blueberry cobbler. The blueberry cobbler I thought was really tasty when mixed with just water. Even when I mixed it with different flavors of protein it still tasted pretty good I thought. You can really tell it has that sweet blueberry cobbler taste. This is something I know you will enjoy drinking and never dread having to down this.

Mixing/Dosing:
    The mixing part of this was just ok. This did not always seem to mix real well. There were times I did have some of this stick to the bottom of my shaker cup. I always put this in my blender bottle with my whisk ball and I think that helped some. It seemed to not mix as well when I added my protein to it. It seemed to stick more to the bottom when I used protein. When your done drinking it you always have some of the oats sticking to the side of your shaker cup. When I would finish drinking this I had to add a little more water to it and swish it around and then slam it to get the rest of it down. It's nothing real bad but you do notice this a little bit. This comes in a big 60 serving tub. I heard the question asked how do you determine what one scoop is. You get this scooper that looks like a little shovel which I think is kind of cool looking. I was told that when you take a scoop out you need to level it off with your finger and that was considered one scoop. A lot of the time I did not do that and always got a little extra. Normal I did only 1 scoop in the morning and once in awhile I would do another scoop after my workout if I knew I would not be able to eat right away after my workout.

This I do not think will be a product you will notice right away working for you but that does not mean it's not a good product at all because it is. With all the other supplements I am on along with this makes it a little harder to tell how well this works on it's own. I really liked the idea behind a product like this. If you have trouble hitting your daily macro's this is a great product to help with that. I really like what they put in here for real food. The yams, oats, sweet potato's and blueberry fruit powder are things I have heard a lot of serious lifters should be consuming more of. It can be hard at times trying to eat these kinds of foods all the time because of cost and they can get really tire some eating all the time and having them all in here makes it so much easier and more enjoyable to consume. These are things I hardly ever take in which I should be doing more often and by getting them all in here I really liked a lot. I liked taking this mainly in the morning since I am not a morning person who likes to eat breakfast and this would be a good way to get more food in me. During my first break at work around 9:30 is when I would take this. Every time I would finish taking this it always made me feel full like I just ate a small meal and felt I had more energy to get me going again which was nice. This was always good on my stomach and never gave me any digestion problems or upset stomach which was nice. I think this product did a good job and letting me hit my macro's which I don't usually do very well at hitting. It's nice knowing your getting a good source of carbs from a reliable source in here. If your trying to hit your macro's I don't think you could find an easier way to do it than with a product like this. I think over all I notice a bit more muscle density and recovery from this. For me this was like eating another meal and if you know your meal intake for that day may be limited or want to up your meal intake this is nice to have to help make up for that if needed.

Side Effects:
    Nothing I noticed.

Overall:
    This is a product I would for sure recommend people use if your looking for a good source in carbs and need a product that will help you hit your macro's. Where else can you consume yams, oats, sweet potato's and blueberry fruit powder all at once in a easy to drink powder you mix and taste good. For those of you like me that have a hard time consuming these kinds of whole foods this is a great way to do it. This is a product I feel will be something I would for sure be using again. I think the overall idea behind this was a really good and idea and glad to see Rich Piana come out with a product like this. I could see in the future coming out with a few more flavors.

September 10, 2015

• May Not Be The Choice If You Are Bulking

Lots of thanks and respect to 5% Nutrition for getting theit line of products out to the experts and TROOPers for some unbiased reviews. I was very excited to try this product as I had seen some great reviews and I have never used a carb source as a supplement before. I usually have just kept my post workout routine to a protein shake and have dinner pretty quickly afterwards, so never jumped on the dextrose, waxy maize, etc. train. I was excited to see if this would aid my recovery, and was pleasantly surprised by this and more. Below you'll find my full review for Real Food.

As the name implies, the focus of this supplement is to provide a real food source for carbs to meet your macros. I attached the supplement facts, but each scoop contains 100 calories and 20 grams of carbs coming from oats, sweet potatoes, and yams. As I get older and as a three time cancer survivor, I get less and less excited to put the dyes, chemicals, etc into my body and it's at a point now where it definitely effects my purchasing decisions. So, big props on the ingredient profile of Real Food for providing natural food sources for their carbs and minimal extras. Another comment I can make about the profile is that is extremely manageable in terms of fitting it in your macros. 100 cals and 20 carbs makes it easy to fit it in most anywhere you need it to be without worrying about going overboard anywhere. Thumbs up from me on the profile.

I grew up in the Midwest with a mother from the South, so I have had sweet potato pie before and great ones at that. The sweet potato pie flavor of Real Food is incredible and spot on. Loved it and looked forward to it everyday, and when one of the main purposes of this product could be to replace food/meals taste is important.
    I do knock a point off here though because of dosino and mixability. As others have stated, this is not a normal scooper. It is a shovel scooper, and scoops vary greatly. So unless you're weighing scoops, there's a good chance you're not always that accurate. Also, because this has real oats in it, mixability is not always great. There were some clumps and oat particles left over, as I used this mainly with water and a shaker. I didnt hate this too much though, because as I said, it's delicious and clumps were actually like treats for me. I would refill the shaker and and enjoy another tasty drink. Still, this could be annoying to some so deducted a point.

Ok, so this is a real food carb source, it should work just as real food does. Quality diet and training is what our bodies need the most anyways, so this really couldn't go wrong could it? Mostly however I gave this product a high score here because of versatility and convienence. I'm lucky to have a job where diet and supplementation is easy, but as I used this supplement I kept thinking how it could people like my brother. He is a letter carrier and being outside with a physically demanding job diet and supplementation can be very difficult. He usually depends on quick fast food which is terrible. When he really wants to focus on goals he'll try to eat healthy but because of demands he would go all day with meals that are way to small and then binge when he got home. Because this provides a great source of slow digesting carbs that taste great and are easy to mix, this could be a solution. Add a scoop of protein and it can be a meal replacement. One of my staple meals as a cheap teacher is oatmeal and a scoop of protein and I love it. Take away the need for a microwave and other supplies and the versatility and convienencd of this product shines. This can be a post worko carb source, tool for a meal replacement, or just a supplement to get your macros. As Meuth stated in his review however, for a power lifter that is going way above maintenance for strength, this probably isn't worth your time for 100 calories and 20 carbs. For me however, perfect.

You can find this for $40, which provides 60 of the aforementioned 100 calorie 20 carb servings. Yes, oatmeal is dirt cheap but add the versatility, taste, and convienencd of this product and I think this product has great value as with one scoop a day you have two months worth. i would definitely purchase this product again at this value.

Side Effects

No digestion issues, gas, or any other side effects. No complaints at all.

Conclusion

i think for everyday gym goers and lifters looking for a quality carb source for post workout, meal replacement, or just tasty macros this is an outstanding option. I would highly recommend Real Food to anyone looking for a carb supplement.

September 3, 2015

• Food Pumps
    • Better Scooper
    Big thank you to SR and 5%Nutrition for allowing me to review this product. I've noticed Real Food at the Europa Expo in Dallas, but hesitated. After trying the product I gravely regretted my silly decision.

(Your thoughts on the ingredients/label of the product)
    Ok, so the unlike any other carb or weight gainer products I've tried, this isn't just pure Dextrose or Waxy Maze. It's actually made up of Oats, Yams, Sweet Potatoes and Blueberry powder.
    Therefore it's just good old complex carbs that yield 20g of Carbohydrates, 1g of Fat, 1g of Protein and 100 Calories per 30g scoop.

Taste -I had the Blueberry Cobbler Flavor and it was fantastic. I've never had real Blueberry Cobbler, too much sugar, but I hope it tastes similar to this! You can taste the blueberries in the mix. Really a must try.
    Mixability - wasn't the highlight for this product. But I wouldn't say it ruins the product for me. One scoop can be mixed just fine into 16oz of water or milk, but remember the shake will be thicker than your usual protein shake. I frequently mixed 2 scoops with a scoop of Pro Complex and it mixed just fine with 20oz of water.
    Dosing - was simple 1 scoop whenever you desire 20g of carbs. I took mine before and after workouts or when I needed extra carbs. The scooper is a bit odd, and I measured my scoops on the scale usually they are about 28-32 grams which is +/- 2 grams from the 30g serving, not a big deal to me.

8.5/10

Alright, as many mentioned it's hard to notice exactly how this product affects you. I used it two ways and noticed it can be beneficial in multiple directions. When I was on a low carb diet, 100 or under, I used this product twice a day at 1 scoop. It really helped me curb hunger and satisfy cravings for sugar, even though the product has about 1 gram of sugar. When I was on carb up days and didn't want all my carbs to come from simple sugars or pizza pies, that's a lie I always pizza, I would use 3-4 scoops throughout the day. It was highly convenient, complex carbs in a shaker cup. My verdict it is it works like a complex carb should(slow burning energy, food pumps), similar to if you would have had some oatmeal, just tastes better!

Now I'm one of many who would say "well this is a great product but you can just eat Oatmeal,Sweet Potatoes, etc", but it's actually not as simple. I used oatmeal in my protein shakes and Real Food is way more convenient and better tasting. I will certainly spend my money on Real Food in the future. I feel like Real Food does for carbohydrates, what Whey Protein does for your protein needs.

8.5/10

Side Effects

Makes me want more of it! Jokes aside, no sides.

Conclusion

Great product for your carb needs, when oatmeal just gets too monotonous and eating a Twix is out of the question. Gives you good clean carbs and sustained energy. Can't wait to try the Sweet Potato flavor.