Cell-Tech Reviews

By: MuscleTech

Creatine > Blends
Cell-Tech is a Creatine Blend manufactured by MuscleTech. It features multiple forms of creatines to take advantage of the various features of the different creatines. It can increase muscle power, translating to strength gains and increased muscle mass.

August 3, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Life Saver
  • A Bargain
  • Replaces Several Products
  • One Scooper
  • Artificial Ingredients

A great product for clearing counter space and useful for more than just gains in the gym despite mixing poorly and having some unnecessary ingredients.

Hello again SR community. It has been a while since I participated with reviews or the forums because well, life. So, for my first review coming back I have picked a product that I have a complicated relationship with from a company I have mixed feelings about. Nice and straight forward, right? Additionally I will be reviewing this product with a different perspective than most because I actually use this product to correct my severe low blood sugars as a type 1 diabetic when not using it for training purposes. Without further ado...

Ingredient Profile 9/10

This product is interesting to me in that it effectively replaces a few products I take individually and in a not so Muscletech tradition, one scoop will do you for most ingredients. I also appreciate the clear breakdown of most of the support compounds.

The 3.5g of creatine monohydrate and 1.5g of creating HCl per scoop is a sufficient amount of creatine.

1g of Taurine is a nice touch as well as the 1g of BCAAs in a 2:1:1 ratio. Is the 1g of BCAA going to replace your need for a post workout meal? Of course not but it is a nice addition to support protein synthesis especially in an environment where insulin is already skyrocketing and catabolism should be effectively shut down.

The addition of 100mg of R-ALA is what surprised me the most. I am a big believer in ALA and its potent antioxidant capacity. R-ALA is the bioactive form but has relatively poor bioavailability relative to Na-R-ALA but nonetheless I love the inclusion of one of my favorite antioxidants and at a reasonable dose no less. Again, this didn't used to be customary for MuscleTech so I am pleased to see the apparent change in philosophy.

Lots of sugar, yes. 15g to be exact per scoop. This is by design and the reason I keep using this product! The blend includes glucose polymers, dextrose and ModCarb.

I don't like the artificial flavors, sweeteners and I especially don't like the coloring. Who the hell cares what color the powder turns into?

Taste 8/10

The fruit punch flavor is fine for me. I never really care much about the flavor of things and this reminds me of what Capri Sun tasted like at one point. Possibly even sweeter. I do not mind the flavor at all though I do not ever crave it. Also the amount of liquid you mix in with this affects the flavor quite substantially.

Mixability 5/10

This does not mix well. It makes some goopy clumps that I end up just chewing because again the flavor doesn't bug me and it doesn't have a harsh taste when eating some of the powder.

Effectiveness 10/10

With the inclusion of glucose polymers (sugar), dextrose (sugar) and ModCarb it has got to be one of the quickest absorbing sources of glucose (sugar, and what all carbs are eventually broken down into) I have ever used. I know this because when I become hypoglycemic due to my type 1 diabetes I need glucose and I need it fast. No other product has worked better for me and this includes products created specifically for the treatment of low blood sugar.

This product has literally saved my life once when I was unable to get to an emergency treatment.

For those without needing to use this as a blood sugar correcting tool, the spike in blood sugar will trigger your body to pump out plenty of insulin. The insulin release will trigger an anabolic environment, cater to muscle repair and help shuttle nutrients into tissues throughout the body. It will also rapidly restore muscle glycogen. In this case, the sugars are a good thing.

As far as gains in the gym go, it is hard for me to say how effective this product is as I am always making sure I get a decent dose of creatine one way or another and I am anal about my diet and nutrient timing. I will say that taking this in place of 3 other products (creatine, an intra-workout and standalone ALA) I have noticed no decline in performance or progress. Because of this, I think this is a supremely effective product.

Value 9/10

I see it online for about $32 for the 6lb tub. That is only 60 cents a serving and with it effectively replacing 3 products for me (not including glucose tablets for low blood sugars) this is a bargain.

Side Effects 10/10

Conclusion 9/10

Cell is one of the very few products I always keep on hand. With its ability to spike blood glucose levels while shuttling in BCAAs and potent antioxidants as well as an effective dose of creatine I think it is a wonderful product for most that appreciate an all-in-one drink it and forget it approach. It isn't perfect as it has some artificial ingredients I really don't appreciate and the flavor is lackluster but for me personally, it has been a life saver.

September 27, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Does Contain Creatine
  • 15g Of Sugar Per Serving
  • No Increase In Strength
I came across this product on Amazon and I thought this would be the greatest creatine supplement in history. Sad to say, I think the reviews on Amazon have been overhyped.

Muscletech also has included a multistage carb blend (glucose polymers, dextrose, modcarb, waxy maize, dextrin). They do not disclose how much of each individual ingredient there is in the carb blend (total of 38g of carbs but 15g from sugar). However if you turn the bottle around, there is a section on the bottle that says that their products "contain superior key ingredients in clinically dosed amounts that are fully disclosed". They just list it in the "other ingredients" section without further information. *See attached image

One thing I do not understand and absolutely hate is the amount of sugar in here. 15g of sugar per scoop. This is the most amount of sugar I have ever seen in a supplement product. It makes the overall product way too sweet.

2 kinds of creatine is included, creatine monohydrate and creatine hcl. I have never tried creatine hcl before on its own so I cannot speak on its effectiveness. But I know that good ol' creatine monohydrate works. They included 1g of bcaas in 1 scoop. I personally would like to have seen more bcaas included.

Taste 5/10
It is very sweet. Like I mentioned above, there are 15g of sugar per scoop. They recommend mixing it with 6 ounces of water. But let me tell you from first had you won't be able to drink it with 6 ounces of water. I think I ended up using about 20 ounces of water every time I supplemented with this. Fruit punch doesn't really taste like fruit punch, just tastes like sugar water in my opinion. It also has a really odd smell to it when you drink it.

Mixability 5/10
It does not mix very well. You will need a shaker cup to mix this. It is impossible to just stir it. Even with a shaker cup, there will always be a bunch of clumps at the bottom of your shaker cup. And when you drink it, there is a gritty taste. I would assume it is from the carb blend.

Effectiveness 7/10
In effectiveness, Muscletech gets some points back. I have noticed a better recovery when supplementing with this especially on smaller body parts (arms, shoulder). However it did not help me recover better on leg, back or chest day.

During the month of using this supplement, I only used this creatine product and whey protein, nothing else. I have not seen my strength levels go up. My bench, squat, and deadlift have gone up just a bit but not noticeably enough. Neither did I see an increase in muscle size and fullness. It does help gain weight as Muscletech claims it does. In the WRONG way though. All that sugar in the product has not helped me gain lean muscle mass. Instead it has helped me gain some fat.

Value 5/10
I bought mine on Amazon for about $30. So roughly about $1 for each scoop (29 servings total). In my opinion this is very expensive. Even more so because this product did not deliver what it claims to do. And if you do end up taking two scoops, your serving total is cut down in half.

You can buy a years worth of creatine monohydrate with $30. Don't spend your hard earned cash for this.

Side Effects
The only side effect is when you finish the drink. Like I said I end up drinking a ton of water with this. This leads to a lot of bathroom rushes for me. It also leaves a gritty taste in your mouth as well as a sugary aftertaste.

Conclusion
I would not recommend trying this product. It is not worth the money in my opinion. There are far better products out there. Don't believe in the marketing and the reviews. Always check SR for good info.
  • Fruit Punch: 5/10

August 9, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increase Strength
  • Too Much Sugar And Fillers
The marketing claims on celltech are ridiculous.

This is literally just a bunch of monohydrate some proprietary blended bcaa, and A TON OF SUGAR!! I would rather buy cheap monohydrate and eat a bunch of low fat ice cream to recover better.

Muscle tech people are marketing machines to sell so much of this.

I got SOOOO bloated and gassy every time I would take preworkout. I put on some weight while taking it but it was all water.

Overall, makes me too gasy and bloated

October 6, 2010

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Does Contain Creatine
  • Increase Strength
  • Lose Gains
I have a love/hate relationship with MuscleTech.

Nitrotech, love it! was fuller and harder than ever when training. But I was also boxing and had to maintain my 190lb weight range. Hydroxycut used to be awesome when I was 235lbs but that was when ephedra was still commonplace.. then they changed it and it sucked next to its old self. Thermoshred Hardcore... take it first thing in a morning and have your girlfriend confuse you for a beet youll be that red and flushed.. but hey, it definitely does something.
NA NO Vapor... actually did what it said on the tin and I was totally pumped until i experienced that Black Hole people describe it has. So all in all I say that MuscleTech at least seem to be TRYING to get it right... But finally on to Cell Tech!

Im super sensitve to creatine so i actually lay off it most of the year. I gain upwards of 10kg of water within a few days and look very full, but bloated... off season style. But wouldnt say its any better or worse than just taking a pure creatine mono supp without all that excess sugar. Taste is the last thing that should be on your mind as a bodybuilder, (eating endless broccoli should teach you that lesson). Strength goes through the roof on compound power exercises. But at the end of the day its mostly water I gained.. great for filling out a t-shirt... but looked flat I thought without the pump.

The price is both its biggest selling point and biggest pit fall.. the fact you pay so much for it gives you such a placebo about staying true to your diet. When youre paying good money you try a lot harder to do everything right.. which long term i think is a good thing.. supplements cant do all the work, they are not magical elixirs brewed by woodland folk... but if they make you take your training more seriously and your diet too then I say.... A good product is one that brings consistancy to you training as opposed to some quick fix. Pop psychology perhaps!

After say an 8 week cycle cutting it back just drops your strength, weight.. which is just annoying and youll be tempted to continue spending your hard earned cash, but i think it probably has a better effect on guys who are already at least 200lb plus and have at least 300g plus protein in their diets to pad out those muscle bellies.

hope some of this helps.

3.0
3.0
  September 19, 2010

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Does Contain Creatine
  • 75g Of Sugar Per Serving
To me this is just overpriced creatone with junk science. I used this product like 2 years ago, and i seriously didnt feel any different than from taking my regular TwinLab creatine pills, that were half the price. The taste is not an issue, but the texture and the serving size is. I hate how the granulated creatine feels on your mouth, what makes it worst it seems like 30% of the mix stays on the cup after you drink it; meaning that you have to add more water to the cup to drink what is left. No gains in weight, the strenght did feel more constant. I was able to lift my heavy sets with more reps, but nothing extraordinary. The hughe bottle is hard to keep stacked haha, (pointless i know). Ridiculous amounts of fillers and sugar-- they wanna trick you by telling you that this sugar is laboratory tested HPLC- Dextrose--- haha still sugar and 75g PER SERVING!!! .
The product is not like "DAMN HORRIBLE CRAP, DON'T EVEN LOOK AT IT", but it is really not what it claims to be or seems to be. Its mediocre, if you have neevr taking any supplements you will prolly like it, cuz a lil extra ATP in your workouts does help, but if you are deep into supplement and fitness, this is not for you.

March 5, 2010

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Worked For Me
  • Too Much Sugar And Fillers
I've been using Cell-Tech Hardcore for about 4 months and it works for me. I've tried various pre-workout supps and whey Protein but have stuck with Cell-Tech Hardcore for my post workout creatine. I take a full dose post workout but on my rest days I only take a half dose. I wouldn't say the taste is bad (come on man up about taste) but the sugar in it is very strong and makes my head buzz for about 20 minutes which is why I only take a half dose on rest days. Post workout I actually find that I crave it and I don't get the head buzz.
Since being on it I've gained about 12-20lbs of muscle. I give the range because of course some of it can been water weight. But I will say this people who have known me for years both men and women started asking me "are you getting bigger?" and now it's to the point that my old shirts aren't fitting any more. My max bench went up by 45lbs along with all my working sets of various exercises.
I would recommend anyone try this if they can get past the cost and the strong sugar. I am ready to cycle off of it and try something else as soon as I finish this last tub.