Animal Pak

By Universal
Animal Pak Universal
9.0/10
(Weighted average based on 135 Reviews)

Ranks #3 of 26 (better than 92%)
in Health & Wellbeing > Multi-Vitamins
Dashboard Reviews Discussion Related Prices

line6reed

The original often imitated but never duplicated!!

I have been putting off a review on animal paks for awhile, but I truly feel like I have done a disservice to this sight by not sharing my experiences with the legendary Animal Pak.

Animal pak is tried and proven, since August 8, 1983 pak has been a staple supplement for millions of hardcore lifters and athletes. How many products do you know that has been standing tall for nearly 30 years? After using this product for just short of 2 years I can honestly see what keeps people sticking with pak, two simple words "it works".

Dosing:6/10
The only knock on this product is dosing. Each pak contains 11 tablets which are huge, after awhile it simply gets annoying swallowing that many tablets. The directions for taking Pak are as followed Advanced bodybuilders, powerlifters, and athletes, take one packet 30 minutes after the meal prior to your workout. For competitions and intense training sessions take two packets daily. Take with plenty of water. Personally I just take 1 packet with breakfast each day. Even when I was prepping for my 1st bodybuilding show I stuck with just one packet. I feel like taking anymore than 1 packet a day is just unnecessary.

Profile:8/10
Animal paks are by far one of the most diverse multivitamins out there. Along with the your daily vitamins Universal has added an Amino Acid Complex, Performance Complex, Antioxidant Complex and, Digestive Enzyme Complex Now I'm not gonna sit here and list each of the ingredients in Pak because it would be overkill. but for anyone who wants to see the label refer to http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/animalpak.html.

The issue I have with this profile is its all based on two packets so if your like me and only take one packet each day you have to cut everything in half when reading the label to know what your getting. Also when comparing Animal Pak to Orange Triad there is some vitamins in Pak that is less than OT even when taking two paks. Also you will notice that none of the Animal Pak minerals are chelated. From the research I have done chelated minerals are used more easily by the body (more bioavailable) than non-chelated minerals. No matter the case Animal Pak is still top of the line in my book.

Effectiveness:8/10
With multivitamins it is hard to really gauge their effectiveness. High blood pressure runs in my family and I have always been very active but back in 2011 I went in for my yearly physical and my blood pressure was 131/86 And the PA(Physician Assistant) told me I had Prehypertension and that I needed to control my sodium intake. Any how shortly after that I began taking Animal Pak and right off the back I noticed a neon urine and my energy levels and mood simply improved. Flash forward 6 months later I'm back in the same PA'S office getting my knees checked and he takes my blood pressure and it reads 127/81 it had went down by a lot. I know it was the Animal Pak that did it because the only thing that I changed in that 6 month period was I added Animal Pak to my life.

Value:7/10 While this is my favorite multivitamin I do feel like Universal can lower the price just some especially when you look at a muilti Like Orange Triad that is around the same price that provides more vitimins per serving than Animal Pak does per packet. Animal Pak comes in two container sizes the 15 pack can and the 44 pack can. If your like me and get the 44 pack can your looking to pay around $30 a can which comes out to be around $0.66 per serving if using 1 packet per day, and $1.32 per serving if your using 2 packets per day. My advice is just stick to one pack a day its plenty.

Overall:8/10
There are plenty of multivitamins out on the market but none of them has stood the test of time like the legendary Animal Pak Vitamins. That alone is enough to keep me coming back for more. If it isn't broke don't fix it and I think that is the approach Universal has taking with Pak. At the end of the day if your looking into a multivitamin look no further animal Pak will live up to its legendary status.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Helps Blood Pressure
  • No Chelated Minerals

Posted July 19, 2013
When i get the chance I'll pm you. But I buy these off a site where I get 3 tubs for $51 and free shipping

Nony

Posted July 19, 2013
I totally agree with every word u said!
Great review

line6reed

Thanks brother

Jpotter21

Posted July 19, 2013
Love this Multi. Hands down the only Multi that makes me feel great all of the time. Solid review broski.

Posted January 21, 2014
Love this product! you nailed in the head buddy. Great review

Tsoiseth34's Animal Pak Review

Broke down and decided to try the Animal Pak finally.. I took Animal Pak while on "cycle" so I used 2 packs per day vs 1 pack in regular training situations.. When putting a heavy load on your body such as on a cycle it's nice to read the ingredients of Animal Pak and know that the deficiencies caused by the stress load is being replenished by one source..

If you hate taking pills don't bother with Animal Pak, 11 pills is a lot for a "Multi-vitamin" but you are getting evrything you need to fully harness the gains you are trying to achieve..

Yeah some pills taste that earthy vitamin taste but over all there was complete ease with taking these pills and not much after taste (which I have had with other multi's)

Overall I feel more comfortable taking Animal pak, vs trying to make up for what a 1 pill Multi-vitamin is lacking, and when you break it down the cost is actually easier to grasp..

MMAFreak

If you can afford them I recommend them

This product has been around for over thirty years for good reason. In my opinion it is the best multi vitamin on the market for serious athletes because it covers every thing that you need on a daily basis to preform. Not only do you get all your essential vitamins and minerals but you get the added bonus of amino acids,digestive enzymes, anti oxidants, and even some liver protection. For me the digestive enzymes just seem to make a big difference in how I feel and in my opinion are an essential for anyone eating a high protein diet and the added bonus of liver protectors like milk thistle are always good for people who take supplements that are hard on the liver too.(which is many of us here at SR.com) There are two things that I don't like about paks and that is the fact that there are a lot of pills to take and the price is pretty high. Using the method of taking two paks on heavy training days and one on off and light days a can will typically last me about a month. You can find them for about 22 bucks at the cheapest I have ever seen them, which isn't terrible per month cost, but is a bit higher than other multis and the reason I only give it a 9 on value. Luckily I have the budget to always keep paks as a staple in my supplement arsenal and I am glad that I do, because I love these things. If you can afford them I recommend them, and I am certainly not alone in that department.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Most Comprehensive Multi-vitamin On The Market
  • A Little Expensive

Posted May 9, 2010
My bad brotha... I'm doing this from my phone and meant to click like. Dang f me haha but I agree with you, I love this stuff but just so many darn pills

Posted May 9, 2010
good review indeed. My bro and I use these sparingly. but jeez... you're right it is alot of pills... way TOO much lol

Try it for yourself and see

Old School. I have always loved the Animal Pak. If you are an athlete on any level, you will appreciate what this product will do for you. As far as a multi goes, this is what has been tried and true for me for quite some time. Ive tried other multi's, and they were alright, I wont lie. But there is just something about the Animal Pak that has always done it for me. Everyone whines about the 11 pills, some guys say that the Pak is "underdosed", some guys whine about having to take two paks, blah blah blah. Shut up, take the pills, throw some dumbbells into the ceiling, and stomp around the gym like the Alpha Male. Its a good thing. With all 11 pills, one is actually a Uni-liver pill, which I like to take anyway, and they have a digestive enzyme that helps your body break down and absorb all the nutrients properly. You do need to take these with food, preferably after eating something, as they are fat soluble. I wont go into all the ingredients, read the label. If youre hitting it especially hard, take 2 Paks a day. Drink Lots of water, you should do that anyway. You will notice a little pep in your step, at least I did. No side effects, one reviewer said they urinated neon yellow; drink more water, and take with food. Cost will vary greatly depending on where you purchase, but find a good deal and just buy it. There's a reason that this product has been a foundational supplement for lifters and athletes for 25+ years. Try it for yourself and see.

The price for 15 servings of an incomplete, underdosed formula is quite high

The oft-advertised Animal Pak is given positive reviews by many an uneducated consumer. However, in the eyes of one more versed in nutritional science, it is quite far from being the best or most comprehensive multivitamin product on the market, and certainly does not have everything an intensely training athlete needs. Please see the following points:

1. Herbal ingredient information displayed in the formula does not include a standardization percentage for active compounds. This is important.

2. Boron is absent from the formula. Do some research on boron if you are unsure as to its vital role in the human body.

3. A one pak-a-day dose does not provide many of the ingredients listed in sufficient amounts for a hard-training athlete.

4. The form of calcium present in Animal Pak is not directly listed, which is suspicious. If it is 2 grams of cheap calcium carbonate, which is barely absorbed at all by the average human body, then I can see why Universal would want to hide the information. Shame on them if this is the case. Judging from Animal Pak's "Other Ingredients" list, it would appear to me that calcium carbonate does comprise the majority of the formula's calcium content.

5. The "Amino Acid Complex" warrants little merit, as every amino acid is present in insufficient amounts.

6. Even at a two pak-a-day dose, the amount of Coenzyme Q-10 is woefully underdosed, especially if it is present in the multivitamin in the cheaper ubiquinone form. To net any considerable benefit from CoQ10 supplementation, one should be supplementing at least 30 mg a day. At a one pak-a-day dose, Animal Pak provides a paltry 2.5 mg dose.

7. Most researchers recommend a daily dose for lutein of at least 6 to 10 mg per day. Animal Pak contains a mere 1 mg in a full two pak-a-day serving.

8. Nutritional science experts often recommend a daily dose of 10-30 mg of lycopene a day to support optimal health. Animal Pak contains only 1 mg of lycopene in a full serving.

9. The price for 15 servings of an incomplete, underdosed formula is quite high.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Has Good Liver Support
  • Poor Value
  • Many Ingredients Are Underdosed
  • Key Information On Many Ingredients Not Disclosed

BigRob

Posted October 10, 2010
As i am not educated in proper micro-nutrient nutrition this was very interesting to me and makes me thinking about choosing some other multi and take care about the amounts and quality of the ingredients.
What multi would you recommend?
And yeah, rep´d!

taysab23

Posted October 10, 2010
hah had to go pick up a can to see if you were right...
and i did give you a good review, but i got some questions.
If this is not a good multi in your eyes, what is? Did you expreice any negative effects from this product?
To most people this is hands down the best multi, and myself love it. I've tried many other multis, but this one is definately my favorite. You make very valid points, but there is no perfect supplement out there, and this one.. in my opnion atleast.. is one of the better ones.

Posted October 10, 2010
A very unhelpful and misleading post. Remember a multivitamin was never meant to replace all nutrients and vitamins the body needs on a daily basis. Multivitamins are only to replenish those nutrients that might be lacking due to a particular lifestyle or diet(usually bodybuilding or athletic). This IS one of the best multivitamin pills out there, sorry no miracle multi yet.

Posted October 10, 2010
lets remember one thing about this stuff it is supplement not complete nutrition. no one thing is going to give you complete anything, that is why you eat a balanced diet. if you want a 100% from pills then get ready to take about two hand full a day. what part of supplement do people not understand

venom434

This is a good Multi for anybody that's a serious lifter

Fairly good MultiVitamin. i went through a few cans, taking just one pack a day first thing in the morning with breakfast, sometimes lunch.; taking it with a whole food meal helps you get the most of the product and makes it less likely that you'll get an upset stomach, make sure you drink plenty of water as well.

I noticed improve recovery, slightly reducing muscle soreness from my workouts. Gives you a decent pick-me-up for the day; I think that it did give me a slight edge or kick in the gym.

Like most Animal Products it's a lot of pills to take down, Animal Pak contains 11; Some big and some small. The easiest way I found to take them down is take a few of the small ones together and the big ones by themselves. Yes, sometimes it can be a pain to take all of these tablets but this Multi does have a decent ingredient profile; so I don't think they could fit everything into just 1 or 2 tablets, It's a Multi-Stack within itself.

It has all your nutrients and some; you get all of your basic vitamins and minerals, amino acids, digestive enzymes to help you absorb everything this product contains better, Uni-Liver and Milk Thistle for liver support. considering a lot of what we put into our bodies goes through the liver at some point, this is a bonus for a Multi to have.

This is a good Multi for anybody that's a serious lifter or looking for an extra edge in the gym, while still maintaining daily nutritional needs; I would say this would also be good to use while you're on a Bulk. If you don't mind taking 11 tablets then give this product a try, it will help benefit your supplement stack.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Good Ingredient Profile
  • Has Good Liver Support
  • A Lot Of Pills!
  • Horse Pills

Streex's Animal Pak Review

Alright, so i've read so much and heard people filling their mouth with so many good words for Animal Pak, that as 99% of you i was sure this had to be an elite product... but being in the Med school made me change my idea and i wanna share:

ok first problem, the values you see on the back of the tube are referred to a 2 can dose, so you might be tricked ( Vit C is 0.5grams per can for example)

and now biochemical problems:

tochopherols (vit E): vit E is a family of molecules and there is only one form of it which we should want to find in a multi as it's the most active, and that is the D-Alpha ( pay attention, the "DL-Alpha acetate is another and had about 70% of the "power" of the D-Alpha).
right, when you read the facts you see vit E in the Pak is given as a blend of a, β, γ, δ tochopherols, and to let you understand where the problem stands, the δ form is just 10% as effective as "a" form.

Minerals: let me tell you that our muscle cell contract by releasing Calcium (Cay) in the cytosol, and this Ca has to be removed then in order to allow the decontraction, and this is possible with a pump in the sarcoplasmatic reticule which is Magnesium (Mgy) dependant. so when you finish your training what you would want to get is a good Mg intake to help the Ca reassorbtion.
in the Pak you get a 2:1 Ca-Mg ratio instead, so that wont be any helpful for those who use it after WO, and the Mg ammount is quite low.

Transition Metals: transition metals in the pak are the following - Iron, Copper, Manganese, Zinc, Chromium- and it has been studied and proved that those metals ( d block metals) need to be in a protein complex to be assorbed, the oxide form is a total waste and you just flush it away. ofc it is a problem of 99% of the multis out there, this is why you shouldnt give much importance to the mineral content when you have to decide which is better between two

Calcium: again about calcium to let you know that the carbonate form CaCO3 gives to you about 40% of the Ca amount you think you're eating, so basicly a single can is not giving you 100% daily value at all

DiCalcium Phosphate: this is the P source from anymal pak. its solubility is extremely poor, about 0.2g/L, and this is good for us cause P-salts make our bones and theet insoluble, but when it comes to finding it in a multivitamin...

Random stuff: yeah it's great they threw Aminos into a multivitamin, but do you need to pay extra money for that ridicolous ammount? and what about digestive enzymes? i guess it must be cool to say " hey, my multy has digestive enzimes too", but you actually dont need them, and in case you need, then it is a much higher dose.
all that stuff looks to me like some extras i would be glad to have as long as it's given free, but since it makes the cost of the tube raise, then i prefer to leave it to the seller.

my way out is to make a good multi on my own, get vit C B E and Mg from separated cans, and add a daily vitamin to get vit A and other stuff i dont need in high doses and that i dont mean to invest money on specifically ( of course, i keep reading the facts so i'm not buying an animalpak ingredients-like multivitamin)

so hope it was helpful, and of course this should be applied to most of the multis out there rated 9/10 or so, but since this is the only i tried, it's the only i can write about.

good WO everyone, and may the knowledge be with you!

Pros:
Cons:
  • Good Amount Of Vit C And B Complex
  • Too Many
  • Listed In My Post

Posted August 26, 2011
Very informative review, is there any mutli that is balanced correctly?

Posted August 26, 2011
hardly, all i have found is a decent daily, but nothing really good for postWO, this is why i do it myself with different stuff from different brands (pm me if you want the names)

Posted August 26, 2011
Now you got me thinking, man.

Have you tried Opti-Men from ON? I'm planning to check it out. Is more full of multivitamins and is a trusted brand.

My tip of advice is to Google any product that might get your attention so you can know more about it from people that have used it. If the product you are interested is good, buy it. If not, hey, you saved some buck.

Thanks for the review, very observant and honest.

Posted August 26, 2011
Thats actually a really good post. I should have read yours before writing mine. Stating the serving size that is, but I still find this product to be one of the best on the market regardless.

multi-vitamin vs multi-vitamn

potency vs potency

it beats them all, accept for when you start talking high dollar supplements.

Posted August 26, 2011
Awesome post. Thanks for taking the time to share that. My question would be, what if you already purchased the APAK, and I want to make it more effective. Are there any particular vitamins I should add to make the PAK better, mainly so that I'm not losing out on money already spent?

Manimal

The price is awesome, its dirt cheap

Just finished my first can. I never really cared about multi vitamins until the word on the grape vine caught up to me and told me its actually a pretty big deal when trying to build lean muscle. So i went out and bought a stack for winter since that is when i start my bulking stage. I dont think im old enough for the Asteroid Stack so i went with a mix and match stack developed by me, based on my past experiences with these supplements. USP Labs- Jack3d, MHP- Dark Matter, Gaspari- Plasma Jet, GNC Amp creatine, GNC Amp Wheybolic and of course the Animal Pak. I dunno how to really explain it but i just looked healthier while taking the Animal Pak and still do. I mean i just look in the mirror and i look healthier all together. I look leaner thats for sure and i managed to put on 6 pounds of solid muscle this winter with this stack. The steady clean energy throughout the day is pretty nice and is has soooo much nutrients. It even has your Milk Thistle for all you guys out there that wanna keep the liver healthy and like taking allotta supps like myself. The price is awesome, its dirt cheap. I got 44 servings for 22 bucks online. It is indeed 11 pills every morning but i got used to it after a week. Give it a whirl!

• Price

Posted March 2, 2010
i'm currently on the gnc mega men sport multi, when i run out of them i'm going to give animal pak a try. ive heard good things about them, expect for the fact its a lot of pills. but thats how all of Animals prodcuts are..multis are defiantly important and should be a staple in everybody's diet.

Except*

Posted March 2, 2010
question... why did you say you don't think you're old enough for asteroid stack but ok with Animal Pak? thanks!

Posted March 2, 2010
ok I confused Animal Pak with Animal Stak for a minute. Pak is just vitamins. Sorry.

Gkeezy

Fantastic Multi-Vitamin, esp if you have no gag reflex

I cannot believe I did not review this product. This has been a staple for me for the last year. Fantastic multi-vitamin. I will be breaking it down for all of you so bear with me as this review might get a little long and winded.

A little pre-face first, I am stacking this with Animal...

A little pre-face first, I am stacking this with Animal Flex & Stak, so its providing me with the right amount of nutrients to boost the effects of Stak and Flex.

VALUE: 7/10 - You get 44 servings, that's if you stick to one pack a day. I usually get this at allstarhealth for around $26. This is a fantastic value. The bottle recommends that you do 2 packs a day, but you have to be serious bodybuilder to need that much nutrients in your body. 1 pack a day does a fantastic job.

INGREDIENTS: 9/10 - As you all know there are 11 horse sized pills for this product. I personally cannot swallow all the pills at the same time, so I usually take the big ones by themselves, and follow quickly down with the rest of the smaller pills.

I will not go into detail of what each pill contains but I will just generally describe what each pill does from biggest to smallest:

1. B-Complex
8. Mega-T
9. Vitamin A&D
10. Ginseng
11. Digestive Aid

As you can see this profile is fantastic, and the percentages for all of these pills is through the roof. Again, you can check the nutrition label for exactly how much is in each pill.

USAGE: 10/10 - This is very simple. You take 1 pack after a big meal. The reason you want to take it on a full stomach, is because you want your body to slowly absorb all the pills with the digestion of your foods. If you take this on an empty stomach, you will notice that your *** is neon green and smells toxic. Even though the smell is still there even on a full stomach, the color is much lighter, and is not being ***ed out of your system. You want your body to ingest as many of the nutrients as possible.

TASTE: 8/10 - When you open the container the pills smell god awful. You can smell them through the clear plastic pouch. Its pretty bad. But when you swallow them you can hardly taste much. Sometimes just need to hold your breath for a split second when taking these, so you don't throw up from the smell. But what do you expect when these things are packed with so many good nutrients that are vital to your body.

EFFECTIVENESS: 9/10 - I am not sure how I would judge effectiveness of a multi vitamin but I will just describe how I felt on this and when not taking this. First, the digestive complex is fantastic. Really helps me keep the bloating of a heavy meal down to a minimum. Furthermore, soon after you will feel a small burst of good energy. Nothing like pre workout but as if you've had a deep sleep and you are waking up rested kind of energy. Its def great. This has a fantastic liver support which is always great. What I noticed most about this product is when I took it in the early afternoon with food, and then a few hours later took Flex & Stak, it really increased the effects of stak for me. I felt stronger and more energetic then ever.

OVERALL: 8/10 - This is a fantastic multi vitamin with a ton of good nutrients optimal for your body. Sure there are a ton of pills, and at first you need a week or so getting used to the smells and taking so many peoples, but let me tell you, once you get past all this, you will never go to another multi vitamin thats 1-2 pills again. This stuff, hands down works. Def recommend it to others.

• Affordable Enough
  • Price
  • Overwhelming To Take At First
  • Look Shut Up And Swallow It Whiner

Posted June 18, 2013
+rep for recommendation to pornstars with no gag reflex.

Nice review Gkeezy

Gkeezy

Posted June 18, 2013
I wanted to include you DantheManski, I know its lonely to be left out ;)

ztrogers52's Animal Pak Review

I have taken so many cans of Animal Pak over the years that I lost track long ago. I feel confident in giving this product the highest rating possible, because it is the only Multi/training pack that I FEEL a noticeable difference when taking. This improved feeling and great nutrient profile is especially useful on a cut, when your body is receiving less nutrients and fuel than it is used to.

DOSEAGE/TASTE: 8/10

They are pills, so no taste issues, but there are many pills in one pak, which for some people can make consumption difficult. I like that Animal Pak comes with multiple pills that are less compressed, rather than one or two highly compressed pills, as I think it helps with absorption. When bulking or eating at maintenance I take 1 Pak per day, when cutting I take 2 paks.

INGREDIENT PROFILE: 10/10

Animal Pak has everything that any serious lifter needs out of a multi, and a little bit more. Each Pak has 3g of protein which is nice, and has a digestive complex which aids in absorption. Throw in some milk thistle for liver health, and Hawthorn Berry for blood pressure support as well. The amino acid profile is solid, especially at 2 paks per day. My only request would be that Universal put in a bit more Vitamin D3, as I have to take an additional stand alone D3 supplement.

EFFECT: 10/10

I have taken a slew of multis over the years, and Animal Pak is the only one that I can actually notice a difference when I take it, compared to when I don't. I have more energy throughout the day, my mood is better, and my recovery is better. I can't ask for much more out of any supplement.

VALUE: 9/10

I have an Amazon subscription to this product, which results in a delivery of a 44 pak can every 2 months at a price of $19.50 per can. I think this is a great value, but I recognize that most places carry it for closer to $28 per can, which is still good but not as great. The main reason I have value so high is that the results are so good that they bring the value up despite the cost.

OVERALL: 10/10

This is the best multi/training pack on the market, and it has been for some time. I love Animal Pak and I plan on taking it forever. Despite the cost at some retailers, Animal Pak is worth the price and you will not regret purchasing The Pak! I highly recommend Animal Pak to all of my fellow lifters.