ZMA Reviews

By: Optimum

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #1 of 35 (better than 100%) in
Growth Enhancers > Nighttime Sleep Formulas

ZMA is a Nighttime Sleep Formula manufactured by Optimum. It is designed to be used before bed time. It promotes restful sleep, increases REM sleep and helps the body attain an optimal state for muscle recovery and growth.

August 10, 2015

I'm a 25 year old hard gainer and my goal is to add lean mass. This product helped me to achieve that mainly by helping me with recovery and optimizing my natural testosterone levels.

*Ingredient Profile
Zinc 30 Mg (200%)- Great way to get this micro-nutrient which is essential for optimizing natural test levels. Also this helps improve the release of IGF-1.
Magnesium 450 Mg (113%)- Another micro-nutrient that is key to testosterone. It improves the body's anti-oxidant capacity and also decreases inflammation. It's good for joints along with many other benefits.
Vitamin B6 (525%)-Another essential micro-nutrient, don't always get it in my diet.

No taste it is capsules. I took the three capsules about five nights a week and still got benefits although it recommends 7 nights a week. I still noticed it helped my recovery.

*Effectiveness (7/10)
I really didn't notice it helping with my sleep much. I got a little drowsy but for me that feeling wore off quickly (30 minutes to an hour). I have trouble sleeping anyway though and everyone is different. I had to use melatonin to sleep. It did help with recovery though, I was noticeable less sore and able to really get after it in the gym consistently. I was able to lift heavy and lift in high volume without joint pain or excessive soreness. This helped me to continue progressing without additional recovery days or deload weeks. I got stronger and added mass with this product.

*Value (9/10)
It is 90 servings for $13.55, you can't beat that! Basically it is $13.55/month for men because the recommended dosage is 3 caps a night. For women a month and a half. The recommended dosage is two caps a night for women.

*Side Effects
No negative side effects. I did notice an increase in libido though.

I would recommend this to someone who doesn't always get these micro-nutrients ZMA has (B6, zinc,and magnesium) in their diet. And for anyone who is looking to improve their recovery. The most noticeable effect for me was definitely improved recovery.
  • Provides Decent Amounts Of Very Inportant Micronutrients
  • Optimizes Natural Test Levels
  • Great Value
  • Helps Recovery
  • Didn't Have A Major Effect On My Sleep
  May 3, 2013

Hello all!

First review here so hopefully this fits in with the correct format of reviewing.

I've been using ZMA now on and off for the past two years. I've tried ZMA products from MyProtein (UK), BodybuildingWarehouse (UK), Holland and Barrett (UK) and now this bottle, from ON.

Whereas there isn't a great deal of difference necessarily between the proportions of ingredients used between each, the ON product is good value for money.

For some context, I lift 6 days a week; 3 days of lifting in the morning and in the evening and 3 days of lifting in the morning and running in the evening, alternating each day. With such a high volume of exercise and a full-time job, I need to make sure I can get the quality sleep I need to perform both well, hence why I decided to start supplementing with ZMA.

The results I experienced from ZMA were improved recovery by inducing much deeper sleep cycles than normally. I take 3 tablets between 20-30 minutes before bed, seem to fall asleep much more quickly and into a deeper sleep, too. The benefit of this is that I have been able to wake up much earlier to lift and get all my other tasks done before starting the day, as my sleep was more efficient.

Negative side-effects? Some people, including me occasionally, do get pretty vivid dreams from this stuff. And this isn't your average clear dream but dreams where I would wake up the next day, remember a situation or something I needed to do before realising that it didn't happen in real life but just in a dream the night before.

I would highly recommend ZMA as a supplement in general for anyone who lifts or plays sport regularly, especially if it's physical exercise putting a lot of pressure on the CNS. The quality of sleep this product grants is well worth the price, just be prepared for an odd dream or two!

• Vivid Bloody Nightmares
  April 16, 2013

Hi. This is my second review. I hope you'll find it useful.

A brief recap of who I am: a regular guy, 41, work full-time at a desk job. Been working out consistently for the past 9 1/2 months. I discovered this site, did some research and entered the world of supplements cautiously - starting with Optimum Nutrition's Opti-Men, which I wrote my first review on.

Now about that ZMA. I came across it when I was being a human sponge reading all of the great reviews from everyone here at and I put it down, with a number of other items to try.

So why ZMA? I've always had problems sleeping, so that was my initial attraction to using it as the reviews suggested my sleep could be better. Second, as I was now getting more confident in my ability to push myself at the gym, and I was moving from 3-4 times a week to 4-5 times, I was dealing with a sore body and a lack of energy, which I felt could turn into a negative quickly if I didn't take steps. My third reason was because I wasn't taking anything else besides the Opti-Men and my diet was something I hadn't addressed yet - I'm taking baby steps because I don't want to flame out - and I thought this would be a decent supplement to try.

To this point I've already used a full 180-count bottle and I'm a few weeks into my second 180-count bottle.

Here is my experience with it.

Dosing: I take 3 pills each night with a full glass of water, about an hour or so before I think I'll be ready to sleep and this is generally a couple hours since I last ate. I was going to bed late, 2:30am or sometimes later as this is a habit that I've formed over the years.

I became aware of the effects of the pills after a couple days. These are a slight sleepiness and a relaxed feeling, like I want to lie down, not sit or stand. My sleeping habits as I mentioned are bad, generally I wake up 5-6 times during the night. With the ZMA this went down to 1-2 times a night and I fall into a deeper sleeping pattern quicker and for longer. I also sleep over a slightly longer period of time, 7 hours as opposed to the maybe 6 from before. So, not quite the home run I was hoping for but, it is an improvement. I'll be adding Melatonin to my routine in a couple days because the lack of uninterrupted sleep is an ongoing issue I want to solve.

When I wake up in the morning, I have no problems getting out of bed or being alert. No mushiness or fuzziness. I also - and this is what I know the ZMA did - felt less soreness and I was able to push myself hard in the gym without feeling like I was stiff and lethargic.

So, what qualifies as push myself? I was averaging 60 minutes of cardio 30 minutes of light weights before the ZMA.

I have now moved to 60 minutes of higher intensity cardio where I sweat constantly and 30 minutes of moderate weights, and from 3-4 days a week to 4-5 days a week; this was big for me, because mentally I had the desire, and now my body wasn't too sore when I went to the gym and tried heavier weights.

I was 173lbs when I started using ZMA, I'm now 171.5lbs. Not a lot, but because I had made no other changes to my diet - which admittedly is not the best but, like I said baby steps - this is all the result of consistent hard work and recovery.

Now for the extra result that I noticed from the ZMA. Morning wood. Every day without fail once I actually get some good sleep in it's there. I think it's also made my libido rise because my girl has been beating me off with a stick and she also noticed the early morning drama; sometimes cause it's poking her when she stays over. I can also say there's been an increase in my performance - now this last may just be a combination of working out consistently + supplementing - but, it's changed moreso since I've been taking the ZMA.

So for my ratings:

Value - I got the bottle for $23 and that was about on par with most others I've seen, give or take a couple bucks. I say it rates a 9.

Effectiveness - I had good recovery and morning wood + I think libido increase but, as I didn't get the full sleep effect I really wanted, I rate it a little lower than I might have otherwise, so an 8.

Overall - I'd say an 8. I'm not sure how many people would really need this as a supplement, and for someone younger it may not even be necessary. However, I would totally recommend this for anyone in the late 30s upwards, or perhaps for someone who is now starting to work out and make diet corrections and wants to take baby steps, like myself. I'm going to keep taking it personally because I am feeling the results and I think it's worth it.

I'm going to get my dad to use it because I think he'll have a great result with it.

Finally, in closing I'll say I wrote this review for all you guys and gals out there who have helped me by providing your own valuable experience with the products you use.
  • Morning Wood
  • Supports Sleep
      February 26, 2013

So I don't know how to feel about this one. It's affected me very strangely.

I have to wake up for class at 6:30 every morning. I normally wake up feeling rather lethargic and tired. I have very bad insomnia and already take melatonin and valerian root to help me get to sleep. I wanted to try out ZMA as well. I'm currently cutting, so I'm keeping volume low and maintaining a 3-day split that's working quite well.

The first night I got these, I took the recommended dosage and fell asleep instantly. Slept like a rock. Woke up voluntarily without an alarm at 6:15 and felt like a damn champion, went to class and had 2 tests that day; aced both of them. I didn't even drink any coffee, and I normally have 2 cups before I do anything. I didn't feel like I needed it. "This is a miracle supp!" I thought. Well, now I'm not so sure.

Next night, I took the same dosage. No calcium before bed either night. That night I stayed awake and felt extra-energized all night. Normally when I have insomnia, I'll feel tired but unable to fall asleep. This stuff made my body extra hot - I was sweating like a mofo. Sometimes I would go into these states of "half-sleep"; I was still conscious but I would start seeing visions on the inside of my eyelids, but I could easily control my body and look at the clock/take a drink of water if I wanted to.

All that said, I got out of bed the next morning still feeling energized even though I got no deep sleep. It wasn't until later in the day that I felt ridiculously tired and run-down.

Must have been a fluke, I thought, so I took it for 5 more nights. Same experience every night. Quit taking it on the 6th night and haven't taken it since then. I really would like to try it again and maybe try and figure out how to get to sleep, because that one night I actually got to sleep I woke up feeling like a king. Weird.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has had a similar experience.
    • Bad Sleep
      November 5, 2012

Hey guys,2nd review here. ZMA's a pretty straight forward supplement and a definate necessity in anyones staple stack trying to pack it on. I could notice the difference in sleep quality after a night or two taking the Max dose of 3 caps.
    I ordered the bottle for my girlfriend who has no sleep issues,unlike me,and she even attests to having deeper quality of sleep.

I used to swear by Puritans Pride supplements(in this case,their Magnesium/Calcium product) I replaced with ZMA,just due to the fact I've read alot of hype on it and have been tempted to try it. Im happy I made the switch.

I will probably be taking this product for the rest of my life,even if weight lifting ceases for any reason,just for the pure fact of it being an all around great mag/zinc supplement and the awesome quality it delivers.
    I battled no negative side-effects. I remember waking up at 2:30am realizing I forgot to take the usual doze 50 mins before bed,and took them then. I had no groggy issues waking up 4 hours later,if anyone wonders about grogginess.

Thank you,take care.
        August 7, 2012

Stacked with a bunch of other products.

bought a month for about 20 buck which isn't too bad. I couldn't give ten because it didn't give me the sleep I wanted. I woke up with boners every day so it may have helped me get a deeper sleep.

Product is basically just zinc magnesium asparate. This is the most bioavailable form of zinc so your body really absorbs it more than eating red meat.

One thing is make sure to stay away from calcium or milk anytime around zma because the calcium blocks zincs absorption to a point.

Overall 9/10
      No reason not to throw in stack if you are working out really hard
          May 1, 2012

I got 180 capsules ( recommended use is 3 capsules a day) so this is a two month supply for $24. This comes out to .40 cents a day which is a great value.

The product claims to help increase testosterone levels and improve sleep. There really isn't much conclusive evidence out there that states that this product directly can increase testosterone. Although having low zinc levels which most people who are carnivores don't have will decrease testosterone production. I noticed no changes in sleep quality or feeling fresher in the morning. The one thing that I noticed was CRAZY dreams while taking this product. I am giving this a 7 because I didn't notice substantial changes in how I feel (probably because I regularly eat red meat which is high in zinc) but I felt pretty good while taking ZMA. The magnesium is supposed to help relax the body and mind but I always sleep pretty good so it made no difference.

Optimum is always reliable in my book. I can always trust them as a company and they always come through with great products and prices. I recommend taking ZMA during hard training cycles because intense exercise can definitely deplete your body of crucial vitamins and minerals especially zinc and magnesium. If your diet is not perfectly on point or you are a vegetarian, this product is a must for athletes and intense lifters.

Fair and Honest,
        • Vivid Dreams
        • Vivid Absurd Dreams
          April 25, 2012

Optimum Nutrition is one of the top three companies out there right now...hands down. With that being said, when I want supplements with very simple ingredient profiles I look to Optimum, and have done so for the past year on the advice of Olympic trainers and nutritionists.

Taste: 10, I say 10 because it's a swallow it and it has no aftertaste. This should not be an issue for anyone.

Value: Wow..$15 for a supplement that works as advertised? Sold

Timing: I think the timing of supplements is extremely overlooked and can be the most difficult part of supplementing properly so that maximum bioavailability of the substance can be obtained. I was informed to take three pills on an empty stomach before going to bed. I personally refuse to go to bed on an empty stomach and usually have a casein shake before I sleep. I take my ZMA before I drink the shake.

Effects: Give this product a week to feel enhanced recovery time. The difference in recovery time is very noticeable and helpful, this may be due to the deep sleep that it can induce. Also very vivid dreams, this will take effect immediately, often with first dosage.

Testosterone booster: I couldn't tell you if this worked or not. I think it is very very difficult to gauge this without having blood work done which I did not.

Unwanted Side effects: IF YOU ARE PRONE TO ECZEMA, the magnesium in this product WILL dry your skin out. I manage mine really well with medication and lotion, however, it's still there. so figure out if this product is worth it to you. I had a great time on it, but I can not use it again because my eczema gets unbearable. When I stopped taking ZMA my skin issues went away within three days.

Overall: For 99% of the population this product is absolutely wonderful and helpful, and at a price like this should be tried at least once.

Thanks for your time and consideration, good luck on reaching your goals.
        • Vivid Dreams
        • Eczema Become Aggravated
          April 3, 2012

Hi everyone, this worked as well as any other ZMA product for me, that means it helped me drop off, sleep longer and feel more refreshed in the morning. Not sure about real test-boosting properties, but it is a surely safe, cheap and effective relaxation and recovery aid.

I had the more vivid dreams as well, sometimes it got to the point where I found them really annoying, very intense, at times almost nightmare-like and it took me a while until I could shake that feeling in the morning. I don't know where this comes from, but I am obviously not the only one.

Whatsoever, sometimes I woke up at night because of the intense dreaming and then couldn't get back to sleep which is of course not very beneficial. Now I take straight magnesium citrate and still dream more and more vividly but not as extremely as with ZMA.

So, the ingredients are obviously high-class, many of us lifters need additional zinc, magnesium and b6 and ZMA works as a sleep aid, but sometimes more than I want to. That, and the price (compared to straight magnesium) is the reason why I gave it a slightly lower rating. It might still be a great product for you and is well worth a try.
        • Provides Decent Amounts Of Very Inportant Micronutrients
        • Hard To Wakeup
        • Vivid Absurd Dreams
          December 1, 2011

ZINC, Magnesium and Vit B6... in large dose basically.

I was gifted 90caps for free with an Optimum stack I purchased on-line so my value of this project is swayed by this being a freebie.

I had heard of this before, but as I already have whey, casein, creatine as my basic stack I have never really bothered too much about additional vitamins and minerals.. like most natural body-builders, I feel I eat enough whole foods and veggies to get what I need.

ZMA is supposed to aid sleep, increase recovery, improve mood and also the amount of free testosterone in your system to grow muscle and improve libido.

So I started taking these just to see... and guess what, they actually work!
        I've had better sleep than at any time of my life, I am always in a good mood everyone tells me, which when you carb cycle is rare as you are always irritable.

Sleep is deep and I do have trouble waking up sometimes, I also do have very vivid dreams which is both a good and bad thing I am afraid.
        But overall this last month I have enjoyed a very consistent sleep pattern and can actually look forward to going to bed, as sometimes diet can leave you stressed and anxious.

A placebo perhaps?, based on some studies, but a good nights sleep is a good nights sleep. Just read the bottle, take 30 mins before your last whey/casein shake otherwise the calcium in that will blunt the effects up to 90% some studies have shown.

Give them a try.

• Vivid Bloody Nightmares

Copyright © 2015 All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.