Shred Jym Reviews

By: Jym

ARTICLES (2)
FORUM TOPICS
Shred Jym is a Thermogenic Weight Loss Product manufactured by Jym. It increases the body's temperature and raises metabolism, helping to burn more calories and assist with fat loss.

Overall
Overall
(SR paid for product; Jym did not participate)

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Did Not Gain Weight During A Bulk
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Clincal Doses
  • Could Feel It Working
  • No Side Effects
  • Focus Was Hit Or Miss
  • Appetite Supression Nonexistent
  • Dosing 3x Per Day Kills Value
Thanks SR.com for giving people like me the chance to try a product like this and provide a real review. For those of you who aren't aware this product WAS NOT supplied by a third party. SR.com put up their cold hard cash to see if Shred JYM delivers. From what I could find you can only get this stuff at one spot and, obviously, you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt...

I wasn't trying to cut weight, instead I wanted to see if this product would help me NOT GAIN FAT during a time in which I was not tryint o stay lean but not turn into a chubby ball. My diet wasn't clean but it wasn't a train wreck. Let's see if this supplement delivers on the many promises and lives up to the hype.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-WARNING - LONG REVIEW AHEAD -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

37 year old guy that has really got back into lifting over the last eight months. I typically run a standard stack of a multi-vitamin, fish oil, protein, creatine, some sort of caffeinated PWO, an intra, aminos, a post (that is mainly just a protein and more aminos) and maybe a natty booster. That is about it. I did add nutrabio's Super Carb to this run.

I have tried a few different thermogenics before but have always thought that the best way to lose weight is to watch what you eat, mind when you eat it, and work hard. My previous experience with thermogenics has been a short jittery blast that left me without much else than a spazzed out feeling. Since getting back into the lifting "scene" I have found Jim Stoppani's knowledge on supplementation and lifting techniques really helpful and the dude is built like a brick poo house. So when the opportunity to try one of his products came up on TROOPs I figured I would jump all over it. Lets see how it went...

If you check out this link the JYM website does a good job of breaking down all the components of this supplement: http://jymsupplementscience.com/jym-shred/

A lot of the stuff in this supplement are well known and have been discussed several times over on this website. I will pick a few that I think are different or the supplier puts a lot of faith in and discuss them.

Advantra Z Synephrine 20 mg - this is one that was newer to me. It is supposed to be like EPHEDRINE which isnt legal to use every where. But it hasnt been shown to be as effective as ephedrine. In fact, the correlations I could find show that it is not a strong precursor to weight loss. Synephrine is typically dosed 10-20mg 3x per day. The way I dosed this was 2 times per day so, while the dosing was clinical on a per dose basis, I would have had to take it 3x's to get the recommended dosing. Only issue with that is it would have killed the value...

1.5 grams (1500 mg) of Acetyl-L-Carnitine - The equivalent dosage range for other forms of L-carnitine are as follows: 630-2,500mg (ALCAR). So right in it or just above on the dosing here. Supplementation of L-carnitine does not burn fat unless the individual is deficient in L-carnitine. (https://examine.com/supplements/L-Carnitine/) One of the things that Stoppani notes in his write up on this supplement was ALCAR can prevent fat gain during bulking periods.

500 mg of Green-Tea Extract - this is a big fad right now, right? This and what, raspberry ketones? Anyway. This seems to be more backed in science than most of the other trendy stuff and green tea's many benefits span ages. This "new" way of supplementing is supposed to be better in this ECGC form. From fat burning to cancer prevention this stuff is supposed to be great for you. At 500 mg per dose, 2x's per day you are more than double the recommended dose for ECGC - https://examine.com/supplements/Green%20Tea%20Catechins/. At this same site, there is some good information on how important it is to properly supplement ECGC with fish oil or a meal when you take it.

Taste - none - these are pills.
Mixing - none - read the above statement about these being pills.
Dosing - the bottle recommends 4 pills as a "serving" but recommends you to take it 2-3 times per day. There are 240 pills per bottle leaving you something between 20 and 30 servings in a bottle. I took these upon waking and at lunch time because I wanted to run this for 30 days and if I bought it this dosing would provide the greatest "value" versus a twenty day dosing. I will go into more detail on this in the effectiveness portion. I will say that it is somewhat misleading to state that there are 60 servings when they tell you to take it at least times per day. The pills aren't overly large or "yucky" so no problems there.

Here is the list of things that SHRED JYM is supposed to do for you:
* 1.5 grams (1500 milligrams) of acetyl-L-carnitine to help carry more fat into the mitochondria, where it is burned away for good.*
* 500 milligrams of green tea extract to increase metabolic rate and burn up more calories and fat.*
* 200 milligrams of caffeine to release more fat from your body's fat cells so that it can be burned as fuel.*
* 500 milligrams of L-tyrosine to help enhance your mood and alertness.*
* 50 milligrams of Capsimax Cayenne pepper extract to boost metabolism and support craving control, which helps you consume fewer calories but burn more.*
* 20 milligrams Advantra Z synephrine to release more fat from fat cells, boost metabolic rate and fat burning, and reduce hunger.*

For the most part, it works. I can tell you that the thermogenic kick was there. I would sweat more after taking this, my heart rate would increase (I have a device and app that monitors heart rate I would watch it periodically before and after dosing to see if it was working) and I did not gain any weight while using this supplement. To the note about the heart rate increasing - my resting heart rate would increase ~10% from what I noted while taking this supplement. Not huge considering my resting heart during the day is around 55-60 so it being 65-68 isn't huge but it is a bump.

As for weight loss/gain - I lost fat and gained muscle. A lot of this was just part of working hard but I wasnt eating at a deficit and I could have gained weight during this time. So I would say that this stuff worked - especially considering that my wife was noticing the muscle build up and not the chubbiness that I think she would have seen had I not been taking it. In fact, since I have stopped taking this stuff and not really changed what I am eating - I have noticed I have gained a few not so good pounds...

There was a minor energy boost that I noticed throughout the day. It wasn't through the roof or anything but it was consistent and did not leave me with a crash feeling.

Some of the misses for me were the craving control. I would take this prior to lunch and I was ALWAYS HUNGRY come lunch time and even at dinner time I was even freakin' more hungry! I am guessing I was either a non-responder to the Capsimax/Advantra Z or it just didn't work. The mood and alertness, while there some days, was really hit or miss. I wouldn't say I was never more alert while using this stuff but it wasn't consistent.

I found this stuff at BB.com for 35.46 + shipping for 20-30 servings. That would make it about $40 for 20-30 days or $1.33 to $2 per day. This is super expensive. I mean, it works but it is way cheaper to just watch what you eat. Now if you are cutting for some sort of competition and you could win something cuz you lost a little more weight or if you are trying to bulk up but not gain fat this might be for you - but it comes at a steep cost.

Side Effects

None - which is great because it has 200 mg of caffeine and 500 mg ECGC. I have to say it was solid - no jitters. There was some sweating and minor increased heart rate but nothing that made you feel out of sorts with what you were using to supplement your diet.

Conclusion

This stuff works. But it is pricey. It is just under the "8.0 - I would definitely buy this again" because I don't have the ~$1.50-2.00/day to burn on this stuff. That said - if you are looking to bulk up without adding a bunch of fat and that is really important to you then give this a try.

• ron

Excellent review!
    Love the use of the heart rate monitor. Nice job!

• nowaydude
    December 27, 2015

thanks Ron - that was a long a$$ review in retrospect but you have to respect the site grabbing the supplement on their own!

• Samazon

Great review!

• nowaydude
    December 28, 2015

Thanks Sam! I appreciate the feedback!

• Tahir
    September 27, 2017

Nice work with the review!