BCAA Reviews

By: Ghost

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA
BCAA is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by Ghost. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

Overall
Overall
  January 4, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Recovery
  • Diminishes Most DOMS
  • Great Marketing
  • Expensive If Dosed More Than Once Per Day

38 years old and I lift 4 days a week. Prior to starting this run, I switched my workout program to the 5/3/1 God is a Beast program, which requires a lot more volume, so this is a great test for BCAA's. The Ghost brand has intrigued me and I really like that its built on a lifestyle vs just products. This was released just a few months ago, so I jumped on the opportunity to claim this for the Bounty Program, so thank you to Tommy and Clipper for having this awesome program in place. Now lets see how pinky and the gang did to scare off those DOMS.

This is a simpler version of Ghost's Aminos products. It contains a 2:1:1 ratio of Instantized BCAA's giving us 6g Total (3g Leucine, 1.5g IsoLeucine, and 1.5g Valine). There is also 25mg of Astragin for absorption, which I aboslutley love to see in BCAA's since running Amino Tone. Leucine plays an important role in muscle protein synthesis, while isoleucine induces glucose uptake into cells. The Valine in the red headed step child here, as more research is needed to even know what this does for you. There is also 1g Carbs and 5 Calories if you are counting your macro's. As I said a simple profile, not much else to it.

Taste: I got the Kiwi Strawberry flavor and while I did find it delicious it was just a tad bit too sweet. Taking it after a workout or mid day was fine, but taking it intra-workout I found it to be too sweet. All in all I did like the flavor though and it did taste like a kiwi strawberry.

Mixability: No issues here, mixed up like a champ with some slight foaming on top after you shook it up. I shook it and gave it a minute and it was good to go. I always mixed this in with 8-10oz of Water in a shaker.

Dosing: So this all depends on you of course, the directions basically state to take as needed. I tried taking 1 scoop a day post workout, and it worked okay, but not enough. I found the sweet spot to be 2 doses on workout days (1 post workout, 1 late afternoon since I workout in the morning) and 1 scoop on non-training days. So if you are like me and require quite a bit of BCAAs then you will go through the 30 servings quicker.

I gauge all of my BCAAs with how they aided me in recovery and hydration (depending on the ingredients). I have found that 10g of BCAAs a day are my sweet spot for true DOMS recovery, and I was hoping with 6g a serving one scoop would be enough. Sadly it was not the case, and I did have to take 2 scoops on my training days as I stated above. That was my magic dosing on this product, and my recovery was pretty good at this point. Unfortunately that means the 30 servings will not last you 30 days as you hope. I am not sure if this is due to no EAAs being involved, but it seems to me that a product with only BCAAs requires a lot more dosing than one that is combined with EAAs. So recovery wise I would say this worked slightly above an average BCAA product when you dose it at 2 scoops on training days and 1 on rest days.

With the ingredient profile you would not think this provides any hydration support, but man I always had to hit the bathroom to pee within the hour after taking this. It did give me a nice hydrated feeling, so that was a nice surprise here. Bonus points on that one. I tried to take this intra workout, but it was too sweet for me, so its of my opinion this product is best suited for post workout recovery basing it off not just the flavor but the ingredient profile as well.

This is where the product takes the biggest hit. This runs for $29.99 for 30 servings normally, coming out to 1 dollar per serving. Now, if you are like me and take 2 a day for training days, then that is pretty expensive. I picked this up on sale for Black Friday for 20% I believe (can't remember off top of my head) so it was a little cheaper for me for this run. There are other similar products that I have taken recently (RCSS Amino Tone coming in at 87 cents a serving) that are cheaper and include a little more in the profile. I don't mind paying a little extra for quality ingredients, which this does have, but I am going to stick with the cheaper options out there.

Side Effects

You may have to hit the bathroom within the hour after taking this, since this seems to hydrate you very well.

Conclusion

Overall, I did enjoy my run of Ghost BCAA. I was hoping and expecting a bit more from this, but it did its job even if I had to dose it a little extra. It tasted pretty good, and if you are in the market for a basic BCAA supplement from a cool looking company and have a little extra money to burn then give this a shot.
  • Kiwi Strawberry: 8/10

• Gdolce42
    January 4, 2018

Ghost is a company I have heard a lot about lately only their pre for the most part. Thanks for the review I'm going to consider trying some of their stuff

• DaSlaya
    January 5, 2018

Yeah I have tried their whey protein, fish oil, and now this. I have their creatine and pwo in my closet to try soon. Been pretty happy overall with the company

• MarsheS
    January 5, 2018

""I picked this up on sale for Black Friday for 20% I believe (can't remember off top of my head)"" This is what happens when you buy too many products... hahaha! Nice review.

• DaSlaya
    January 6, 2018

hahah MarsheS...you speak truth!!