Serious Mass Reviews

By: Optimum

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #4 of 20 (better than 84%) in
Protein > Weight Gainers

Serious Mass is a Weight Gainer manufactured by Optimum. It is a protein based supplement that has additional calories from carbohydrates and fats. It is meant to add additional calories for the body in order to assist with weight and muscle mass gain.
INGREDIENTS (7)
THIS PRODUCT

1.0g
CATEGORY AVG

1.0g

Molecule that supports ATP production in the body and increases lean body mass, strength, power, and stamina.

THIS PRODUCT

500mg
CATEGORY AVG

500mg

A much beloved amino acid supplement widely regarded for its ability to improve recovery and boost performance.

COMPARE SIMILAR

fh
  June 18, 2013

I was hanging around 175 lbs, ~9 - 10% body for years. My workout involved mostly free weight exercises, but weights grew slowly. So one day I thought enough is enough, and decided to change my diet and bulk up. To grow, I needed to increase my caloric intake up to 4500 kcal. I found that Serious Mass provided an easy and convenient way to supplement your diet with necessary calories.

With 1250 calories in two large size scoops, I found convenient to split a servings into two, taking one between breakfast and lunch, and second one before workout. Even one scoop requires plenty of water or milk to mix, but regular shaker will do just fine. I never tried to consume one serving (2 scoops) at once, and I don't think that makes sense - it is more efficient to eat smaller meals more frequently. Plus, 50 grams of protein will never be properly digested in one serving, so you are better off consuming a scoop at a time, several times a day.

I have first ordered a bag of banana flavor, and found it too sweet. Double chocolate is pretty good, and I kept using it afterwards.

In 4 month, I have went up to 200-205 lbs, and body fat ~16%. Squat, deadlift and bench press numbers all showed steady increase; for instance, deadlift went from mere 235 to 360 2RM, benchpress increased from 185 to 245 5RM. Results are obvious - with appropriate training regimen this product works.

Now, let me respond to some reviews here. Some say, it does not mix well. My response - don't mix two scoops at once, that's not efficient.
I don't understand how 'gained some fat' is a con - this supplement is designed to make you grow. It is impossible to add muscle without adding some fat tissue as well, read literature.
Finally, my favorite - large scoops! Well, there is 1250 cal with 50 grams of protein. Not surprisingly, that takes up volume. Its a big boy supplement, and it has big boy scoops.

Overall, Serious Mass provides excellent way to increase caloric intake during bulking phase. When combined with appropriate resistance training, allows you to grow muscle more efficiently.

PN1434
      May 3, 2013

BACKGROUND
    I used Serious Mass on a bulk a few months ago, getting through one of their serious 12lb bags!

For some context, I lift 6 days a week; 3 days of lifting in the morning and in the evening and 3 days of lifting in the morning and running in the evening, alternating each day.

I was looking for a product to help get those extra calories in during the day at a low cost, especially if I needed to forgo a meal between lunch and dinner.

POSITIVES
    As I said, I was looking for a product to ensure some calories when I couldn't make do with my diet in between work schedules. Needless to say, I wasn't led down and this product offered a huge amount of calories in one drink.

A good composition of carbs and protein meant that it was a fantastic post-workout shake or simply a meal replacement if on the go.

I do not have scales available but noticed some good size gains and improved recovery between heavy lifting sessions.

NEGATIVES

That said, it does have some drawbacks...

It is a real pain to mix. Getting 350g or so into a shaker on top of the required liquid to make it drinkable is near impossible. For best results, you'll need a blender. Even when only using a half scoop, a blender is best.

Another point to bare in mind is that this can be a punch in the stomach if you drink it too quickly. A number of times I would drink a full or half serving of this down after a workout, as if it were a regular protein shake and feel the need to vomit very soon after. If you go hard in your workouts, you may want to wait a good 30-45 minutes before drinking one of these and even then, go slowly.

It can also initially be hard to digest for your system, leading to some gas problems and a few trips to the loo.

RECOMMENDATION
    I would still recommend this product despite the drawbacks it has. As a gainer, it does exactly what it says on the tin and delivers a ton of calories for just a single drink. Just make sure you blend it, don't neck it and be prepared for some explosive gas now and then!
    rweich
    Rep: 0
      February 27, 2013

This was my first try at a Weight Gainer and I knew what I was getting when I started it.

First, the short review was that I was disappointed with this and it makes you bloated and gives you gas.

To my longer review, I will say this product packs on a lot of calories into 2 scoops. The scoops are huge though. The scooper they give you in the sack is like a gravy boat or a laundry detergent scooper.

The first couple of days I started with just one scoop and some milk and some water.

After that I switched to 2 scoops with milk and water. I weighed myself at least once a day.

I started at a weight of about 198 and ended maybe at 201 or 202 but my weight fluctuates daily so it could be just water weight.

Taste 6 out of 10.
    It really doesn't taste horrible, I got the vanilla. But it is pleasant to get it done with. They want you to mix about 32 oz of water, so it takes a while to get done with it!

Value 8 out of 10.
    The reason I rated this highly was because my final price was about $43 for a 12 pound sack. I did a price match with vitaminshoppe and bodybuilding was able to do it for me.

Effectiveness 5 out of 10.
    No really noticeable gains or strength added. Maybe a couple of pounds gained but not like the other reviewers have said.

Side Effects: Yes
    Bloating and gas and digestion issues.

My diet is good and I hit the gym almost everyday so I should have put on some muscle or weight.

I won't try this again. I think I want to try a TEST-Booster next.

• Bad After-taste
    • Gained Some Fat
    duan130
      February 22, 2013

Alright welp here goes my first review. I used this weight gainer throughout my bulk this winter (starting in December.) I guess I should tell a little about myself , 5'10 202lbs bf% is unknown, I've been lifting on and off since 2009. My diet during this bulk was egg white omlettes with cheese, whole grain rice, oatmeal and this stuff of course lol

Dosage: (8/10) The huge scooper was a problem at first then I grabbed a scooper from my old protein shake. 3 normal scoops = 1 huge scoop so I always threw the provided scooper away and just used my own. 1 serving is 2 of these huge scoops but I would break it down into 2 shakes.

Mixing: (10/10) I know this will be a shocker but I had a secret to mixing shakes, it works all the time. Here's my secret, mix ur shake in a shaker then put it in the fridge, it gives everything time to mix up. When I'm ready for my shake I get it outta the fridge and shake and its always smooth 0 clumps ever, thank me later lol

Taste: (9/10) I always got strawberry so the taste was decent. I mean I can only compare it to Isopure and the Walmart 6 star crap since those are the only proteins I've had. I've had Pro Complex as well but same company, same flavor, same taste this was just a little thicker. I just ordered vanilla and if it taste as good as strawberry they have a lifetime customer.

Effectiveness: (10/10) this is where it shines for me because during my bulk I can never seem to hit my calorie goals. The main reason being egg white omlettes are great for you but hold vry few calories meaning I have to rely on oatmeal and peanut butter to get my calorie count up. This stuff has 1250 calories in 1 serving so I would usually do 1 and a half servings a day (half a serving upon waking up, a half serving after my workout and a half serving before bed.) Honestly I love this stuff it has 50 grams of protein and 250 grams of carbs so there's no way u can lose using this stuff. I do believe I put on a lot of size and increased strength with this, even though I didn't weigh myself before I started my bulk due to the fact I hadn't hit the weights in over 8 months I didn't wanna face that demon lol

Value (9/10) I always ordered the 12 pounder from lockoutforums.com it runs about 40 bucks which isn't bad as a matter of fact it fantastic once yu see the price of these other weight gainers that don't provide as many carbs, or calories. The value could be a 10 if I could find it for 30-35 bucks....hell at that price i'd order 4 or 5 bags lol. You get what you pay for so with that being said its $40 for 1 of the best gainers on the market.....I said it so it must be true lmao!!!
    • Easy To Mix
    cowboy
      January 22, 2013

Finally completed this nasty bucket of crap. I could hardly stomach the taste, but since I bought it, I had to use it. I achieved gains but there is no way you can take this by the actual serving they recommend. I had to take this throughout the day because the servings are so massive. One serving is just shy of 1 lb. and there are only 8 servings in a 6 lb. bucket. you can not put this in a shaker cup and add milk to it because there would be no room for any liquids. I thought when I saw the scoop it was a mistake. The scoop is too big to even pull the product from the bucket. If they provided a smaller scoop then you would be shoveling all day to get a serving. For only 8 servings, I feel this is not a great value. You must use a machine to mix or it will be clumpy. There are other products that are more user friendly and require less work.
    • Contains Fillers
    • Serving Size Is Not Realistic. Nearly 1 Lb. Per Serving
    Oouder
    Rep: -2
      December 14, 2012

Serious mass is hands down one of the best deals you can find for those of you trying to gain weight.

Value: 10/10 - this is what sold me on Serious mass. 45 bucks on amazon for a 12 pound bag WITH shipping is an amazing deal (shipping heavy things is usually costly).

Taste: 7/10 - I got the chocolate flavor.. its not the greatest tasting thing ever, but easy to chug and doesn't have a bad after taste.

Effectiveness: 8/10 - Serious mass is supposed to be two of the giant scoopers they put in the bag per serving. Each of those scoops is about the size of your closed fist... way to much to be put into a shaker cup. What i did is i only did HALF the recommended serving size, so 1 scoop per, with 12 ounces of milk. This literally fits PERFECTLY into a shaker cup, you just need to shake the crap out of it. With milk this is about 800 calories per shake, with 40 grams of protein and 125 grams of carbs. Plus some vitamins, its actually a pretty healthy in-between meals supplement.

I always drank one of these AFTER eating, because if you drink one before eating you will lose your appetite. I gained about 5 pounds total from the 12 pound bag, which is very good considering how hard it is for me to put on weight.. most of it was muscle too.

Conclusion: If you use half the recommended serving size, you don't need to hassle with a blender (a shaker cup works fine), and its a great meal substitue. High in protein, carbs and vitamins, with almost no fat.. very good product. I will order another bag soon.
    • Scooper Is Too Big
    dragonborn
    Rep: 0
      March 4, 2012

Serious Mass definetly works! I am a hardgainer that has been stuck at the same weight for weeks. i bought a 12 lb bag of serious mass and quickly the scale started moving again.
    i used 2 full servings a day, broken up into 4 shakes. I mixed the shakes with non fat milk in a 16 oz shaker. i put 4oz of milk in a shaker one full scoop of serious mass and used a electric mixer to mix. once that was done i added 4oz of cold water. The shakes tasted like a mcdonalds chocolate shake to me.
    The bag lasted me 3 weeks. i gained about 2 lbs a week. I didnt notice any fat gain, but i felt like i put on some mass. i have gone through 2 bags now and gained 14 lbs. with hard workouts fat gain should be at a minimum. i didnt have any real negative side effects except kind of feeling bloated after the occasional shake, but that is to be expected. The scoops are HUGE (about the size of 4 regular protien scoops), so you go through the bag very quickly if you use it correctly.
    If you are a hardgainer like me, or are just kinda stuck at the same weight try a bag out. This stuff works!
    dmq777
      February 11, 2012

Hey guys, this is my first review but there will definitely be plenty more coming. This was also the first weight gainer supplement that I've tried. I had always been reluctant to use any weight gaining supplement because the idea of gaining a whole lot of fat and becoming less ripped didn't appeal to my, but after being stuck at a weight plateau of around 183 pounds not matter what I did, I decided to give it a try.

I just finished the 12lb bag yesterday and overall I have been very impressed with the results; on the day before I started I weighed 185 pounds, and yesterday I stepped on the scale after finishing the whole bag and it said 192lbs! Pretty impressed.

I will say that I was not able to follow the recommended dosage due to the gigantic scoops that are borderline hard to digest. Also, if you follow the dosage the whole 12lbs bag will only last 8 days, where it lasted me for almost 20.

Aside from the irregular amounts of gas that comes from using this, another rather annoying thing I experienced was intense thirst in the middle of the night. I would drink a heaped scoop before bed each night and at around 3am I would jolt up dying of thirst and chuck down a whole liter of water!

So in conclusion, as a weight and muscle gainer it definitely works well, and I definitely have noticeably bigger arms, traps and shoulders. I have noticed that I gained a bit of extra fat along with it as my six pack is a bit less visible. And my girlfriend told me that I got a bit fluffier in the cheeks :D Overall great product; I plan to use another one then do a cutting phase.

Hope you guys found this helpful. :)
    • Dehydration In Middle Of The Night
    • Gained Some Fat
    shinndigg

January 2, 2012

Throughout my bulk the past several months I have taken several different mass gainers to help aid in my daily caloric intake. Serious Mass is a product that you can tell is driven towards that objective. Optimum Nutrition is one of my favorite supplement companies out there, I have hardly ever been steered wrong with one of their products, and this one is no slouch.

Dosage: There are several different ways I used Serious Mass, sometimes I took it as part of breakfast in the morning, sometimes during lunch, and sometimes as an inbetween meals high calorie/protein snack.

Profile(8/10): Looking at the nutrition profile on this product, the big thing that obviously jumps out is the calorie content, a whopping 1250 calories per serving. However the serving size is so gigantic (the scoop is pretty much the size of one you find in laundry detergent, and 2 scoops is a serving,) that a half serving for most suffices for both calorie and mixing needs. However with a half serving you are only getting 25 grams of protein. The way I remedied this was to mix one scoop of Serious Mass with one scoop of whey protein, to make up for the displaced protein with only a half serving. This is the formula that worked best for me. This products also will provide you with 252 grams of carbs for a full serving or 126 for a half, most may get turned off that the carb source is maltodextrin, however most gainers on the market are the same in that regard. This will definitely help you carb up for workouts and give you energy throughout the day though. It also has a low fat content so this could also be utilized by those looking to go for a lean bulk.

Mixing(5/10): If you buy this product, make sure you have a blender, otherwise you will be drinking lumps and clumps. And if you do have a blender, make sure you mix it well, and maybe even use a little extra water then what the directions call for.

Taste(8/10): I had the chocolate flavor of Serious Mass, and it tasted pretty good. ON is almost always on point with their flavors of products. If you can get past the sometimes lumpy texture from not mixing well this is actually a good tasting protein.

Effectiveness(8/10): Unless you are on a fasting diet or something, you SHOULD gain weight with this product. With just one 12lb bag I was able to put on just about 5 pounds taking only half servings. If you are a stereotypical hard gainer or have a busy schedule where you can't always prepare a meal, this is a good product to look at.

Value(7/10): You can usually find this for at/or around 40 bucks for a 12 pound bag on most online retailers. That will give you 16 two scoop servings, at about $2.50 a serving. There are cheaper alternatives per serving price, but you do get a lot of ingredients for your money with this product.

Conclusion: All in all Serious Mass is a good product for those looking for pure unadulterated calories and who want to pack on pounds. Nothing can replace eating real food, but this is a good supplement for when you don't have a fork in your mouth. I would recommend this product.
    Baard
      December 28, 2011

Like many others, I have a hard time gaining weight. This has been a helpful supplement so far!

EFFECTS (9/10)
    Effects came pretty fast, and even though most of my daily servings were only half doseage, I gained around 4 kg's. Personally I didn't experience any major fat gains, but I got more "filled up", which was part of my goal.

SIDE EFFECTS (1)
    Increased gas

TASTE (4/10)
    I would not recommend chocolate flavour. The taste is not horrible, but far from good. A good tip is to hold your nose while drinking it, if the taste don't meet your expectations.

PRICE (6/10)
    A bit too high considering the amount of servings, but totally worth it regarding the good effects.

OTHER SUPPLEMENTS TAKEN (3)
    Vitamins, minerals, and kre-alkalyn.

OVERALL (9/10)
    Apart from being a bit pricey and gas producing, this product is realy effective-you will see results! It has a good mixture of carbs,proteins and unsaturated fats, and also has a wide range of essential substances such as vitamins, minerals and aminos. The servings are quite big, and therefore hard to digest all in one, but you get used to it quickly and probably find some good technigues for digesting it more easily.

Please note that I was quite unorginized with my workout plan during my usage of this supplement, not training as much as usual- the results described may differ.

Remember to keep eating your daily meals, this is a supplement, not a replacement. Good luck! :-)

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Puts On Weight Quick
    • Hard To Digest

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.