deeja

• Was an active member for 4 years, but hasn't been online since April, 2014

Reviews by deeja

March 27, 2011

Cons:
  • Taste
  • Mixes Well
  • Good Quality
  • 0 Carbs And Fat
  • Limited Flavors
Alright guys I'll start by giving some insight to people who don't know me. I'm on the Pulse feast diet right now which consists of 2 protein shakes through the day and then a large meal after training. I literally take in no carbs or fat through the day. Just protein. Because of such a low calorie consumption through the day I tend to notice the "effects" of supplements more.

The review:

The review:
Taste:
As for low calorie proteins, I've tried IsoFlex, hydro whey, isoXP, MyoFusion, intra pro and I'm sure a few others I've forgotten. I never did get the chocolate flavor but I burned through strawberry and started vanilla, and the strawberry is really good. It mixes a little thicker so it doesn't feel like I'm drinking dirty water. Instead it feels like a protein shake. The vanilla isnt great but it never is...

Here's the deciding factor. This product is 25g of protein per scoop and 0g carbs, 0g fat. Sure there are others out there just like that, but this is also 100% hydrolyzed protein. What I've noticed from this is that I don't feel weak or hungry through the day and my body isnt working at all to digest the protein. Sometimes I take IsoFlex instead of iso100 because I have a tub kickin around and it just doesnt compare. The workouts are better and I feel more satisfied all day taking this product. As a post workout I would imagine the effects would be similar too.

Price:
This is a good protein powder, but cost is almost as much as hydro whey which is ridiculous. Buying it in stores, the cheapest I can find it for is 45$ for 2lbs and 88$ for 5lbs. Even on the internet it's a little pricy. It's a quality product, so I can expect some kind of markup, but still a lot of money.

Overall:
My experience with this protein powder's been really good. I'm hooked for sure. I thought IsoFlex was the king of protein powders before, but now it's 100% iso100 for me. I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon for various reasons. Also it's a very unique product. I haven't been able to find any protein without other macros that's also just hydrolyzed whey. Buy this stuff!!

March 1, 2011

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Excellent Tatse
  • Great Nutritional Profile
  • Fills You Up
There was a story my old GNC regional manager told me about these bars. He said that there were mice that broke into GNC and they picked at some protein bars. Mice don't eat Garbage, they're picky about their food, but they only ate the Zero Impact Bars. Now on to the review.

These are 400 calorie bars. If you need 400 calories there are worse sources. There isnt any soy protein in there which is a bonus since almost every other protein bar has soy. Also, the sugar content is low (natural sugars) and all the fat is healthy. They have 1g CLA in them as well which is awesome. For effectiveness, if you really need a meal, this is a well balanced one with around 15-20g fat, 35g carbs and 30g protein. I honestly have not found a healthier bar that tastes this good. Which brings me to my next point...

Taste:

So good. Tried peanut butter and jelly, coconut and pumpkin. Pb&j is deCEEnt. Coconut is really tasty. Strong coconut taste which I loved. Now for the pumpkin. Definitely the best one. Because it is a protein bar, the texture is a little bit dry, so the pumpkin flavor reminded me of a bit of a dry pumpkin pie. Not to say that its horribly dry because there is still a lot of fat in this flavor specifically, but compared to mama's pumpkin pie it's definitely drier. As for the flavor, it's perfect. Not too sweet, but you get a nice pumpkin flavor. And because there's no refined sugars in these bars, none of them are actually too sweet which Iike.

Value:

So expensive. They're really healthy, but at my GNC (Canada), it was like 4.50$ a bar with gold card and without it was like 6 bucks. Too much. I'd just buy a sub at that price.

Overall:

Very good bars. When I was at GNC I always snuck a couple here and there because I loved the taste and health benefits from them. When I was bulking and didn't care to make breakfast these definitely kept me full for a couple hours.

**one final note however is that there was a defective batch that went out a while ago. I don't know to where they went out, but some of the bars actually had mould on them. This obviously contradicts the story about the mice, but I still think these bars are really good as long as you stear clear of the ones with the layer of white mould on top.

February 28, 2011

• Muscle Density
  • Stregnth Increase
  • Caused A Lot Of Acne
Just finished my can a couple days ago and overall I would say this product works. I'll mention that I stacked the product with Animal Pak and 1MR as well as vitamin c, d, and then IsoFlex and waxy maize post workout. I'm on intermittent Fasting, so I usually ate something, went to the gym and then ate some kind of animal after my shake. I'm also training HIT style. I feel like this helped promote more test and made the product work better.

My experience:

My experience:

The first week or so on this Inoticed my mood was really bad and I was getting really depressed after about an hour of consumption of this product. My gains weren't anything great, and I was really ready to toss it out. The second and third week though were awesome. I felt like a king the whole time and my lifts went way up. Specially my military press (went from 65s for 4 reps to 70s for 5 reps). I felt like an absolute Monster in the gym and felt good after every workout. Near the end I was only taking it on workout days, and I could feel the effects still although not as much as week 2 when i was taking every day.

Very good. I killed the weights every day i went to the gym. Felt like a beast and my lifts all went up. Pumps were good, and I noticed I was eating more without any consequences. I did notice some more acne than usual, but I have so much already that I dont even care.
Also noticed better recovery since I was eating more.

Value:

75$ to buy it at Popeye's or most places in Canada I'm pretty sure. I paid 75 for it cause I didnt wanna wait 2 weeks for shipping. If you can get it at American prices then go for it, but it's a rip off at the price I paid. Thats almost as much as the real gear.

Overall:

Buy this. I'm 20 years old and it helped me. Maybe I have low test, but I know for a fact it wasnt just placebo.
Also, sorry for the long intro, but lots of variables to take into account.

January 6, 2011

• Increase Lean Mass
  • Handy To Have Preworkout
BCAA products seem like they would be all the same much like WPI products or arginine etc. etc.
This is an example of a BCAA product that didn't match up to others that I have tried.

Taste:
Tastes like Garbage. Adds a stale taste to whatever you mix it with and mixes much like Purple Wraath - kind of foamy at the start, but foam and little bits disappear after about 10 minutes. Was not disappointed here since you have to expect Garbage taste with straight BCAAs.

Taste:

Here's where I had problems. This worked very well in that i gained muscle and my recovery time went down, however the feeling I got from mixing it into my post workout shake was the same as if I had just put more protein in. I just felt a little bloated after my shake.
I'm currently on my 2nd bottle since I ordered 4 and the way I use it now seems to be perfect. I mix 10-15g into my preworkout shake, and since I usually just eat a bowl of oatmeal before my workout I dont get much protein. This gives me some aminos for my workout without the hassle of having to carry around an intra workout BCAA supplement.

Value:
SO CHEAP. It's worth it in my opinion except you need to know when to use your BCAAs.

Overall:
I would probably buy this product again because of how cheap it is and how much it adds to my preworkout shakes. I think though that if used improperly it is a big waste of 10$. Also expect to choke it down.

December 17, 2010

• Good Macros
  • Nice Consistency
  • Stinky Farts
Just finished my tub of IntraPro and I was pretty impressed.

Protein is protein, so an isolate is and isolate, however in this case, there is a little bit of fat and 6g carbs per scoop if I remember right. I'm not a huge fan of the fat, but the fact that there were carbs meant that two scoops of this actually made for a pretty good post workout. I got my whey isolate and just over 10g carbs. Also the vitamin blend is nice, even if it's not really enough of any vitamin it's nice to know Gaspari puts in the effort =/

Value:
Got this on markdown for 20 bucks, but even at...
Just finished my tub of IntraPro and I was pretty impressed.

Value:
Got this on markdown for 20 bucks, but even at regualr price it's pretty good.

Taste:
The best part of this was that it's all isolate, but it's got the consistency of a blend. The chocolate flavor was really nice and rich and mixed nice and thick even in water which is how I like my shakes.

Overall:
The reason I ranked overall one lower than the rest was that it upset my stomach. I'm guessing that the carbs are due to the amount of lactose in here, so about 30 mins after drinking my shake the gas was pretty unreal. I would buy this on sale, but given the choice I'd still go with IsoFlex and soem Dextrose.

October 9, 2010

• Mental Focus
  • Clean Energy
  • Slightly Expensive
  • Sharp Taste
ZOMG!! SO GOOD!!
I decided I don't like preworkouts because they tend to upset my stomach so I switched to energy drinks. I started off with xenergy, tried sugar free rockstar, sugar free Monster, Redline (second best), but this stuff rocks the kazbaa.

Taste isnt too bad. The way I would describe it (I've only had the orange and the blue raspberry) is a watered down 5 hour energy. It still has that bite that those do, but it doesnt make me cringe.

ZOMG!! SO GOOD!!

Effectiveness: VERY effective. I only have to drink half of one of these for my workouts, and sometimes an eighth of one when I'm trying to study. These give me good mental focus, vascularity, help get me in my zone and really just do what a good preworkout should do. All this without creatine or any gastrointestinal upset that I can notice. I poo without fail though after each one of these...take that as you wish.

Value isn't amazing. It's about as good as most energy drinks. One bottle of this costs double what most energy drinks do, but there's 4 servings in one bottle, or two for me. So the value isnt great, but it's bearable. This is really the only reason I even considered giving it a maybe.

Overall I would say this is a good product. I REALLY do not like that the energy blend is a proprietary one, but BSN are d!cks so that's bound to happen. Label aside, they really hit the nail on the head with this product.

October 7, 2010

• Great Recovery
  • Tastes Awesome
  • Way Too Expensive
  • Not Better Than Isolates
I finally get to write my hydro whey review. There was a lot of build up and I sold lots of this stuff when I was at GNC, but is it all it's Cracked up to be?

I'll start with taste. Low calorie protein powders tend to taste like garbage, and to date I've only found one that's actually good: IsoFlex. Hydro whey however is very good tasting. I had chocolate and I could drink it alone no problem. Might be the little bit of fat they added, but it works. Unfortunately as far as I know, they only make chocolate, vanilla and strawberry =/

Now for effectiveness. Here's the big one. Is the hyd...

Now for effectiveness. Here's the big one. Is the hydrolized whey that much better than regular isolate...NERP. I found no difference in recovery between the two and this is really the basis of my rating this a maybe (It still got 8 for effectiveness because whey isolates usually would get an 8 for me). The big selling point on this product is the absorption rate, but for me it didn't change much. If my diet was on point 100% and I looked at every calorie and analyzed everything that went into my mouth then it could make a difference, but for the average joe, don't waste your money.

Which brings me to my next point. MONEY!!! The value of this product was not good. It was very expensive for 44 (i think) servings, granted every scoop was 30g of protein, but it was still around 55 bucks online...TOO MUCH. Label is pretty badai though.

So now my final verdict for hydro whey is that if you're a bodybuilder, or if you REALLY watch your diet and have an amazing mind body connection, then this product could benefit you, however for the average gym joe, I do not see the value. Most of us don't watch our diet to the calorie, which means that recovery can change on a day to day basis. For me, an isolate works just as well for less money.

August 31, 2010

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Pump
  • Great Focus
  • Awesome Taste
  • Cost Too Much
  • Carbonated -- Messy
Alright I always recommend this product so i figured I would write a review and I'll start by saying for about a year I was stuck on this product.
I took this product for the first after a recommendation from my Jacked buddy and he was right. There are some preworkouts that are geared mroe towards the energy and some are more for pumps; this is the latter. I find when I go to the gym I don't need help getting into the zone and getting pumped up since i love it anyways, so this was perfect for me.
My endurance went up with this product, and since there is really only 200mg of caffeine in a serving for energy, I didn't crash after my workouts, and I didn't really run out of energy halfway through. It wasn't a rush of energy that I got, but a little buzz.
As for taste, I had the fruit punch and the orange. Orange is AWESOME and fruit punch tastes like cream soda. The only thing to watch out for when mixing this is that it's carbonated, so if you have a bad shaker cup it will get messy.
That on top of the cost are the only downside for me. Some people may find that it doesn't give them the energy they need for the gym, but if you sleep enough and are a high energy person naturally then this preworkout is geared for you.

July 31, 2010

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Focus
  • Appetite Suppressant
  • Only One To Two Pills A Day
  • Trouble Sleeping
This product is the sh*t. I went through a bottle a while back. I'll explain my experience with it and how I took it. First of all keep in mind that you get 60 pills in one bottle.
So I took this once a day about an hour before lifting, and if I missed some sleep I took two. On the days I took two pills I had no appetite, so this suppresses you appetite very well.
In terms of energy, I felt like I was taking ephedrine. I had great energy except unlike ephedrine, I wasn't jittery...just very focused. The geranium extract is the culprit there i believe.
In terms of effectiveness, I wasn't...
In terms of effectiveness, I wasn't really taking it to burn fat, but more for energy and to increase the intensity of my workouts. In doing so, I did burn fat well and I wasn't as hungry after my workouts when I was taking this so I didn't munch out bad. I also had a lot of energy after an hour and a half workout (this was before learning that a one hour session is better) which allowed me to get mroe done in the day in terms of school and work.
The only downside to this product for me was that if I took it after 3:00PM I couldnt get to sleep when I usually try to -- around 11:00PM.
Overall the best non-ephedra fat burner in my opinion.

July 12, 2010

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Post Workout
  • 91% Whey Isolate
Effectiveness: Gave a 10 because it is all whey isolate. It is therefore perfect for post workout. Barely any fillers as well...50g of protein for 55g of powder. Mixed very well too (to be expected from an isolate).

Value: I got this for 10 bucks on clearance at GNC so for me the value was AWESOME, but I would not pay the 48 bucks they it is ussually sold for here in canada. It is a good protein, but I'd get IsoFlex before this one for the money.

Taste: Taste wasn't all that bad. I used it 2 months before expiring and had strawberry banana, so not having to choke it down was a surprise to me. I added dextrose and waxy maize, and the waxy maize made it chalky and gross, but when I cut the maize and put in more dextrose it was actually really good...nice and sweet.

Overall: I gave an eight because this is a good product, but not for the money in my opinion. I really liked getting it on sale, but there are better whey isolates out there. Also one thing i really hated was that i like to make my shakes with 30-40g of protein, and the scoop in here is 55g (50g protein). It might be different now, but i hated having to measure out 3/5 of a scoop to get my protein intake right.