bnbooner

• Low community participation
  • Linked social media account

Reviews by bnbooner

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)
I'm a natural bodybuilder who is attending the University of Arizona who has been fascinated by supplementation for quite awhile and have put hours and hours into reading sports medicine journals and research papers testing how effective supplements/individual ingredients are. I mostly am familiar with different formulations of pre workouts, so this is right down my alley.

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)

The ingredients aren't anything mindblowing, but this can be seen as a good thing. For the most part, they used ingredients that are tried and true. The only stimulant is caffeine, there's trusty creatine monohydrate instead of some blend of all these expensive, unnecessary forms of creatine, there's beta-alanine for endurane, L-citrulline (not arginine, yay!) for nitric oxide boosting, as well as Acetyl-L-Carnitine HCl (the most clinically proven form of Carnitine for performance enhancement) and Tyrosine for some mild energy/focus type effects.

I'll start with the taste. I got the pineapple flavor and I think it's awesome. I would go as far as saying it is the best tasting pre-workout that I have tried (well, probably tied with Pineapple Mango of the old formula of MusclePharm Assault) but that is saying a lot considering I have tried upwards of 25 different pre workout flavors in the past couple years.

In terms of mixability, it mixes really well except for the fact that a little bit of creatine sticks to the sides and bottom of the cup no matter how hard you try mixing it, but this is pretty standard with all products containing creatine monohydrate so I can't really complain about it.

Dosing: this is where my issues with the pre workout are. First of all, I will just start by saying that there isn't enough citrulline. 1 scoop has 750mg of L-Citrulline, where the studies suggest that the clinical dose is 6 grams of citrulline malate (or roughly 4g of L-citrulline since citrulline malate is in a 2:1 ratio). So this means that even if you have two scoops of the pre workout, you're only getting 1.5 g of citrulline. For somone who always puts bulk citrulline malate in their pre workouts such as me, this is no issue, but for others, you are getting underdosed unfortunately.

Also, there is 1.5g beta alanine per scoop and 3g of creatine monohydrate, where the benchmark doses for effectiveness of those ingredients are 3.2 grams and 5 grams, respectively. Once again, if you take two scoops you will be getting 3 grams of beta alanine and 6 grams of creatine which are great doses, but then again you are taking two scoops of the formula and next thing you know, the 30 serving container really becomes a mere 15 servings, which isn't ideal. Another thing to consider is each scoop has 175mg caffeine, and if a user is caffeine sensitive, two scoops will yield 350mg of caffeine which is a bit steep for some.

In terms of effectiveness, I actually really like the pre for "clean" energy. I usually have a bottle of Nitramine or Mesomorph on hand, but sometimes you just don't want to have DMAA or a formula with 4-5 stims in it, and you just want some more "mild" energy (or if you are working out at night and want to be able to fall asleep at a decent hour for work or school). This is where the pre workout really shines, I wouldn't try setting a bunch of PRs using this, but when you want to get a pretty solid workout in without dealing with any negative side effects, insomnia, or jitters, or want to do cardio after a workout, I would highly recommend this.

Because of the issues I mentioned earlier with dosing (See: two sections above) the value of this pre workout unfortunately plummets pretty hard when you start using two scoops to get clinical doses of the key ingredients. I generally never buy anything at GNC since I consider it far overpriced but I was visiting a friend who worked there and noticed they sell 36 serving containers instead of 30 serving containers for the same price as 30 serving containers at other vendors so I actually bought two of them and got 72 servings for 58 dollars, but the value isn't all there if you buy the normal 30 serving container for 30 dollars. At this price it is 1 dollar per serving, and when you start taking two servings if you want correct dosages on ingredients, then it becomes two dollars for one serving, which is pretty bad value considering you can get a lot more solid pre workouts with clinical dosages or including full amino acid spectrums in them for around $1.70-2.00 per serving.

Side Effects

I actually haven't experienced any side effects from this pre workout. No heartburn, no indigestion, no jitters since the only stimulant is caffeine, no abundant sweating since it isn't loaded with thermogenics. Very pleased with how I haven't experienced any undesirable effects from this.

Conclusion

Overall, I think this is a pretty solid pre workout for when you don't want to take anything intense, and the ingredients it has are definitely effective, but the fatal flaw of this pre workout is that it really is more of a "two scoop" formula and it simply isn't economical to pay full price on this and take two scoops all the time as your primary pre workout, but rather one that you can take "sometimes" when you don't want to use something else.
  • Good For Newbies
  • No Jitters
  • Some Ingredients Underdosed At 1 Serving

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)

The ingredients are pretty comprehensive but nothing mind-blowing for a pre workout: beta-alanine for added endurance, arginine/citrulline as nitric oxide boosters (although I would have preferred they just used a bigger dosage of Citrulline since it is more effective), a few different forms of creatine (which *might* have very small evidence to prove that it may have "increased absorption" but aren't necessarily "better" than just using a clinical dose of monohydrate),but the flagship ingredient in this pre workout is DMAA. If you don't know what DMAA is, it's hard to put its whole history into just a review here but it's a pretty strong stimulant with a slightly controversial past regarding if it really IS safe, but it gives pretty ridiculous lasting energy and intense focus.

I personally bought the "Rocket Pop" flavor and honestly, I expected it to taste pretty badly, but it was actually delicious. It wasn't overly sweet, and it's an oddly satisfying flavor that you kind of just want to chug down. For reference, I would be comfortable drinking an intra-workout supplement with that flavor, and usually most BCAA supps are way better tasting than pre workouts. In terms of mixability, it actually mixed well and didn't leave much powder on the bottom/edges of the cup like most creatine-containing supplements.

Dosing is one of the only areas of this pre workout where I have a few issues. Proprietary blends in general are a bit frustrating to deal with, but upon actually looking at the ingredients that go into each section of the blend you can tell certain ingredients HAVE to be underdosed. For example, the first portion of the proprietary blend is 6500 mg, and it is disclosed that 1 scoop has 4000 mg of beta-alanine (a great dose, by the way) but this leaves 2500 mg left of the blend to be split between Citrulline Malate and Arginine AKG. If the clinical dose of Citrulline Malate is 6 grams, and there's 2.5 grams of CM AND Arginine AKG, you know you aren't really getting a true dose of citrulline, which is unfortunate. Same goes for the next blend. The second ingredient is taurine, before the other forms of creatine, so you don't truly know if you're getting enough creatine. As is, that blend is only 4500mg so you could only be getting around 2-3g of creatine. These problems are easy to circumvent for me personally as I add raw citrulline into every pre I take and take creatine monohydrate anyway, but to others who don't do this, that may be not getting enough of what they want.

Wow, I don't even know where to begin honestly. The first day that I took this was leg day, and I was doing "higher rep" work. (higher rep for me on squats is anything above 4-5 haha). I normally do a 5x5 of squats ass-to-grass with 275 but on every set I ended up hitting 7,8, or even 9 reps. It was like I wasn't getting fatigued. This translated to the rest of my workout and I truly couldn't believe it. One of my friends asked if I started using AAS (wish that was a joke) because the numbers were abnormally up from normal that workout. This wasn't just a "honeymoon" phase where it worked super well the first time, it consistently worked throughout the whole tub without me building a huge tolerance to it. As is, I only took around 3/4 of a scoop when I took it because that was the "Sweet spot" for the dmaa dosage to give me energy without making me lose it and have to deal with more rapid heartbeat/bigger crash etc.

I bought this from strong supplement shop, where it was 36 dollars for 25 servings, which I would say is not necessarily the best value in terms of price per serving considering a few things are underdosed, but like I mentioned in the effectiveness section, I (and a few other people I know) found that we sometimes found a sweet spot of using 2/3 to 3/4 of a scoop instead of a full scoop so when I did this, I really ended up getting around 32-35 servings from the container instead of 25 which actually became much better for the money.

Side Effects

As one could expect, the big thing that I could say in terms of side effects is that you do get rapid heartbeat, a little more so than with regular pre workouts, which kind of made me slow down after a few sets and focus on breathing slow and controlled which is a bit annoying but it's a trade off of the insane energy you have from dmaa. Another side effect is that I noticed you kind of hit an actual crash afterward, much harder than even stim-heavy pre workouts, which is another characteristic I attribute specifically to the dmaa.

Conclusion

Overall, this is a very very good pre workout to have in your arsenal, but I wouldn't say one that needs using every day. Honestly, sometimes I found this pre workout was TOO strong and I didn't need it if I was just going to hit some higher rep shoulders and arms etc. However, when you really need a huge kick in the ass, because you're going heavy on deadlifts or squats, or trying to set a bench max, or if you are lacking energy/motivation to go and get a lift in, this will work wonders. The prop blends are a bit of a pain to deal with, but where else are you going to find a fairly well-rounded pre workout with DMAA in it? I would recommend, but it's not perfect.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Focus
  • Great Pump
  • No Fatigue
  • Drinkable
  • Heart Rate Is Fast And Hard
  • Proprietary Blend
  • Crash

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)
I'm a young college student in engineering who has been lifting approaching 3 years now. I have between an ecto/meso type build and have been slowly "lean bulking" (more of a recomp style eating above maintenance with high activity) for all of my lifting career. I train using Layne Norton's "PHAT" system that I have slightly modified to hit legs and shoulders a bit harder (my lagging spots).

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)

Laxogenin: ingredient derived from plants to increase nitrogen retention and protein synthesis, has been said to decrease cortisol (which is known to have a negative impact on building muscle, can also contribute to fat gain). Is non hormonal but considered fairly anabolic, I know lots of companies make laxogenin products (example: primeval labs super laxo, nano genin, blackstone labs anogenin etc.)

Epicatechin: a molecule found in cocoa plants, it helps inhibit the release of myostatin, a protein that limits muscle growth. Myostatin is there to regulate and "limit" our muscle growth to a degree, so by inhibiting the release of it, we allow more potential muscle to be built.

Vitamin D3: pretty self-explanatory, if you are deficient in D vitamins you will have a very hard time building muscle, and you may develop fat tissue more easily

Fructus shisandrae: another plant ingredient, said to "help performance" and possibly reduce stress. Not as well known as a lot of other ingredients so I am not sure I will try to claim how effective it is

No taste or mixability issues from the capsules, they don't leave behind a bad taste in your mouth. In terms of dosing, only complaint I have is that it is a proprietary bland so you don't really know how many mg of laxogenin or epicatechin you are getting compared to some other products which sell just one of the ingredients in a pill. The takeaway from that though is it is often the same price for just one of the ingredients.

The effectiveness of Anafuse actually was a pleasant surprise to me. Honestly, it made me so hungry that one could argue the reason I gained weight on it (4.8 pounds in a month) was because of my food consumption, but at the same time, my friends were saying I was looking leaner and more vascular in the arm/shoulder/chest area. Apparently my striations were more visible so clearly it wasn't just a "dirty bulk" type effect. I didn't notice any strength gains, which is odd, because part of my training program is meant to build strength, but I'll take almost 5 pounds gained with no obvious fat increase in a month.

At $55 for a bottle with just 60 servings (or even just 30 servings if you take the max dose) one could say this is really expensive for a "natural" product. After all, one could buy liposomal delivery andro products if they really wanted to in the $45-60 range and get way better gains. Having said that, part of what makes this product special is the fact that it works without having the hormonal side effects/suppression/etc. Also, a lot of other companies sell either JUST the ingredient laxogenin or JUST the ingredient epicatechin at a similar price, so when you consider that Anafuse has both of these ingredients in a bottle at a slightly higher price, you really are saving compared to other supplements. I wish this would be more around the marks of $45 instead of $55, which may affect if I buy it again, but it did work!

Side Effects

Honestly, the only side effect I got from taking this is that I had a very very uncontrollable appetite once I upped the dose to two servings a day. By "uncontrollable" I mean, I would go to my university's food court, and order 2 chicken sandwiches from chick-fil-a, and 2 pieces of pizza from papa john's, finish both of them, then continue to be hungry. It's like my body did not have an "off switch." The only good thing about this was that it was very easy to get in all my calories for the day and this definitely helped me gain weight.

Conclusion

Overall, I was actually a bit surprised that this worked since I was pretty skeptical about it. One of the huge upsides of this product is that it is non-hormonal, and younger lifters (I'm talking anyone below 25) always have to consider that taking hormonal products before reaching their peak testosterone production could affect their development in the long run, so using products that are safe like this and still ensure gains is a huge plus. I think this product shines versus many competitors because it has both laxogenin/epicatechin in one product instead of needing to buy separate products, which can save money, but I do wish at $55 a bottle, there wouldn't be a proprietary blend. To conclude, I do recommend trying at least one bottle.
  • Increased Appetite
  • Slightly Expensive

I am a young engineering student who has been lifting for 3 years. I have spent a lot of time versing myself in supplementation knowledge and don't buy anything unless the ingredient profile already looks solid on paper. 5'9 177 lbs at 13% bf, currently "lean bulking"

The ingredient profile on Catalyst is relatively simple but definitely full. Doesn't have many filler/questionable ingredients. Has my two favorites: Betaine and Beta-alanine, big doses of both (2.5g and 3.2g respectively) so definitely enough for a noticeable increase on your endurance throughout your workout. Has a good 1 dose of Agmatine Sulfate as well, which I am a fan of. Would prefer 6g Citrulline Malate over this, but it definitely contributes a decent pump.

Stims: Has the Caffeine/Theanine combo, theanine is known to work symbiotically (so to speak) with caffeine and reduces the negative side effects like anxiety and jitters. I personally never have jitters with high amounts of caffeine but it's worth noting for those who are more sensitive.

Also contains Hordenine, N-Methyl-Tyramine, Huperzine, and Alpha GPC (most bioavailable source of Choline), so there are a few more stims and few focus ingredients there.

I really wanted to get the blueberry lemonade flavor, but from when I bought it on Amazon, the only flavor available was melon. I generally don't like melon flavored things, but I bit the bullet since the ingredients looked promising. Melon is alright, I would rate the flavor as a 7/10. Easy enough to chug down in 8 oz of water though. Mixed just fine with a spoon, takes like 5-10 seconds of stirring and nothing sits in the bottom. Also a bonus that it didn't have some useless food coloring in it. Everything is dosed where you only need to take 1 scoop so this made it easier as well.

Catalyst takes about 15 minutes for it to "kick in." I would take a whole scoop of it, and drive to the gym, and right as I started walking in I could feel a little bit of the focus come into play, and for my heart rate to kick up a little bit. I notice that Catalyst really shines in hypertrophy/progressive overload style workouts. Whenever I took this on days where I did more of a strength-training style workout, it didn't feel as effective, but when I was trudging through my 4th set of barbell rows in the 12-15 rep range, I felt it really shined. You do feel a difference in your workouts in terms of endurance. It feels like it takes a lot longer to get fatigued. The agmatine sulfate in Catalyst is good, but ultimately, I still don't find this pre great for pumps. Pumps aren't the most important factor for me, so this wasn't much of an issue, but I stacked Catalyst with 6 grams of citrulline malate powder for the last week I had it, and this was a game changer. Catalyst plus Citrulline Malate was a juggernaut, I got crazy pumps and genuinely felt the physical benefit of taking the pre workout rather than just going in solely after a meal. The energy was good from Catalyst but I feel as though the actual mental effect wore off after about an hour. If your workouts are an hour and a half or you are one of the people who lift for 2+ hours, you might lose the mental edge, but it's pretty good for a "smaller" stim profile as far as most pres go these days.

I purchased from Amazon for 35 dollars, which at a little over $1 per scoop, is pretty good value since you only need to take 1 scoop for the full effect. Only thing that personally dropped the value rating for me is the fact that I have purchased one or two other pres for the same price (or even a little lower) that have had very similar or slightly better effectiveness. Having said that, I just looked at illpumpyouup.com and they are selling 30 servings of Catalyst for $27.95. Had I not just purchased a tub of Nitramine, I would have purchased this very quickly haha. Less than 1 dollar per scoop for this is an absolute steal, great value if you purchase this supp for less than 30 dollars.

Side Effects

No real side effects, except for a slight bloated feeling in the stomach after drinking it, which I would feel while driving to the gym but wasn't a problem while actually lifting. This isn't just me being sensitive either, because I have drank a lot of pre's that require two times as much water to mix well, or pre's where the actual scoop volume is twice as much powder, so I'm not sure why this happened. Not a big deal, just odd and worth mentioning.

Conclusion

I have tried a lot of pre workouts (by a lot I mean I lost count in the 20s) and this is either my second or third favorite I have tried. I feel as though it lacks very slightly in the focus/energy department, as well as a little bit with pumps, but if you take this supp and add bulk citrulline malate and don't need too much of a mental boost, this becomes close to the perfect pre workout! If you can find it somewhere for 30 dollars or less, it's most definitely worth a try!
  • Mixes well
  • No Colorants
  • Endurance
  • Clinical Dosages
  • Fading Focus
  • Lacking Citrulline Malate

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)
I am a young engineering student/self-proclaimed pre-workout enthusiast who has been lifting for 3 years. I have spent many long hours researching ingredients on examine.com, AJSM studies, and related websites, as well as versing myself in what clinical, effective doses are. I am 5'9 and 178 lbs at 13% bodyfat, and have been lean-bulking for the past 3 years of my life, slowly recomping eating around my maintenance level (or above) and I found supplementreviews.com in an effort to find scientific/evidence/personal experience based reviews instead of hype and marketing.

Betaine! One of my favorite ingredients. Studies have shown it increases strength and endurance, and it has 2 grams of it, definitely a big enough dose to reap the benefits of it, just shy of the golden 2.5 gram amount proven in studies. Still a fair amount more than most other preworkouts featuring it.

Beta-Alanine, everyone knows about this guy. 1.6 grams, bottom of the clinically effective range, so I docked it a little bit under the "value" section. It still is effective at 1.6 grams, just wish it was 3.2!

Agmatine: 500 mg, Nitramine (by my understanding) isn't meant to be a pump pre, more of a "stim" pre so this is the token pump ingredient. Bottom of the general range of effective doses manufacturers use, but still far more of a pump than you would get going into the gym dry.

ENERGY/FOCUS INGREDIENTS: Caffeine (175 mg, not too much at first glance, til you see the boatload of other stims and "focus" ingredients) with Theacrine since they work symbiotically so to speak, as well as Theanine, Hordenine, Hygenamine. All of these stims to me personally, make me sweat like crazy. I remember trying the original formula of this back when they had rauwolscine, and it isn't as bad as the original but this one will still make you drenched in sweat 5 minutes into the workout. Also has ALCAR, N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine, Theobromine, and Huperzine (one of my favorites! and also rumored to be the herb that inspired the "super drug" after in the movie Limitless even though that is a gross exaggeration lol)

Nitramine has a passion fruit flavor which I actually really like. A few of my friends who aren't as into fitness as I am have tried Nitramine and said it tastes really good. It's definitely not too sweet, and you can taste a little bitterness from the active ingredients. One thing I will say is the flavor is around a 8.5/10 when cold but a 6.5/10 when room temperature. Mixes just fine, and 1 scoop is more than enough to get you going. Also worth mentioning in this section, it doesn't have artificial food coloring in it, which I appreciate dearly. Food coloring is pretty pointless and not beneficial to our health in any way, so.

Let me just say, I have tried a lot of pre workouts. Momentum Nutrition's Catalyst, Pre JYM, White Flood, Hyde, Nitraflex, Assault, 1MR Vortex, C4, True Grit Pre, Pump Igniter, nothing compares to this. The focus in this pre is truly in a league of its own. It's the type of focus where you can just look at yourself in the mirror across the weight room while listening to your music, and your eyes kind of go out of focus for a quick second and you just feel incredibly amped for your next set. I'm sorry for the terrible anecdotal example, but this seriously gets me "in the zone." I get hyped up and want to lift, and am so motivated to lift. I'm not shaky like the time I tried DMAA, I'm just focused and feel like I can breathe easily and have a lot of energy and endurance and untapped strength. Nitramine helped me hit a lot of new PRs (small, 5-10 lb increases) when I was plateaued, without changing my diet or anything. I am a HUGE proponent of this and I recommend it to my friends, even those who aren't very dedicated to fitness. You will feel more stimmed out than the weak "big name" pres like C4 or Assault, or even Pre JYM, but there's something about the ingredient combination that really gets you going. You go intro freight train mode. Pumps are alright, not as great as if you were to take 6g of bulk citrulline malate before a workout, but the veins pop through decently. Definitely helps slow down exhaustion as well.

Most places sell Nitramine for anywhere from 30-35 dollars for 30 servings, and I know people who can take half a scoop and get good energy from it still (just skimping on some of the performance enhancing aspects of betaine, beta alanine etc). I even found a vendor on ebay selling 30 servings for 21 dollars. I think it is a lot better price for the results than most other pres, only reason I knocked value down is because there is 1.6 g of beta alanine when there could be 3.2. Technically still enough BA to be effective but not in the true clinical dose.

Side Effects

Nitramine will make you sweat, a ton. Even a few hours after you finish working out. Also it will wire you because of the 5-6 stims. I'm not too affected by stims but I can't sleep if I take this within 5 hours of my bed time. I work out in the morning so for me it's not an issue, but for others it may be.

Conclusion

If you're looking for insane energy and focus but don't want to deal with DMAA jitters or the "danger" this is a great option. Good for endurance, focus, energy, and strength. Decent pumps, but definitely an energy-centered pre workout. I recommend greatly!
  • Good Focus