bnbooner

SR TROOPer

• Member has been active for 2 years, and was last online today
  • Low community participation

Reviews by bnbooner

Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
  April 16, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Proper Doses
  • Great Pumps

I'm a natural bodybuilder who is attending the University of Arizona, I run a fitness page on instagram @ boonbrandon, and I have been fascinated by supplementation for quite awhile and have put hours and hours into reading sports medicine journals and research papers testing how effective supplements/individual ingredients are. I mostly am familiar with different formulations of pre workouts, so this is right down my alley.

This without a doubt is the most comprehensive ingredient profile I have ever seen on a pre workout. I'm not going to list each individual ingredient because you can just check out the label of it to see the list, but I will just say that every single area of this pre workout is incredibly "complete" for lack of a better term. A lot of pres just have one "pump ingredient" or possibly two if clinically dosed. This has citrulline, agmatine, AND nitrosigine. There's a clinical dosage of Leucine, of Betaine, there's two forms of creatine... all potent muscle builders. For a pre where the only stim is caffeine (but found in two forms) the focus is awesome thanks to Tyrosine, Choline, Theanine, AND Huperzine. Another thing to be said about the ingredient profile is that they used all "name-brand" ingredients. CreaPure. MagnaPower. Kyowa-quality. Nitrosigine. VitaCholine. Calci-K. CarnoSyn. They could have just used generic sources for each of these ingredients but they used the high quality name-brand ownings of these ingredients so you truly know you're getting the purest of each ingredient.

On top of this, with the pre workout, NutraBio sent out a letter explaining EVERY SINGLE change they made to the formula from V4 to V5 including changing ingredients to "name brand" ingredients for guaranteed quality and slightly upping the dosages of certain ingredients to reach the clinically effective dosages as shown in studies.

Another super impressive touch with just how transparent the label is is how they show even dosages of the "other ingredients" (210 mg sucralose, 30 mg acesulfame potassium, 30mg beet root for color). I have never seen another pre workout show this, because I believe they're not required to. NutraBio is just WILLINGLY showing absolutely everything for us.

I got the blue raspberry flavor, and while it wasn't the best blue raspberry supplement I have ever had, it certainly wasn't disgusting and who drinks pre workout for the taste anyway? Dosing is super simple- one serving is one scoop. Mixability was surprisingly good for how many ingredients are in this, the only thing that can happen is that it can foam up and leave some foam residue on the side of your cups so once you chug it down you may have to add some extra water into the cup, swish it around, then drink it again to get everything.

This is definitely the most effective out of all the "clinical dosed" category of pre workouts that I have tried. What I mean by this is that it may not be as energy-intensive as say, a pre workout that is stim heavy and has DMHA and Hordenine and Higenamine and Yohimbine in it, but this still somehow competes with the effectiveness of those despite caffeine being the only stim. Obviously the energy is a lot more gradual and "clean" but I really enjoyed it and still managed to get some positive cognitive effects as far as focus goes. Endurance and pump is super solid with this, and using this while both on a calorie surplus AND a deficit I was able to say it is very useful for either.

So this can be found for 39.99 for 20 servings. This lands it at 2 dollars per serving, which definitely is on the more expensive side of pre workouts. HAVING SAID THAT, I think this is completely justified. I'm fully confident if you bought all the ingredients in bulk and tried making something comparable the serving price would be well above $2, and they used all of the very highest quality name brand ingredients in clinical dosages rather than just generic ingredients and this is definitely what makes the value acceptable compared to other clinical dosed pres that land around $2 per scoop anyway.

Side Effects

I didn't really have any side effects I can think of with this. No sleeplessness, anxiety, jitters, or hard crash.

Conclusion

Overall, I was incredibly impressed by this. Especially as someone who likes higher stim pre workouts, to use a more research-based pre where the only stim is caffeine and have just as solid of performance enhancement was pretty incredible. Sure, it is slightly expensive, but when you see just how many ingredients are in there, the dose, and the quality (name-brand) of each ingredient, you will understand that this is actually about as solid of a pre as you can find.

Thanks to Healthy Life Solutions for sending it out!
  March 27, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Occasional Moderate Libido Increase
  • Overall Not Notably Effective

I am a 20 year old natural bodybuilder at the University of Arizona. I have been interested in supplements since I first started lifting and got very involved with researching the clinical studies on them. I run an fitness page on instagram @boonbrandon as well.

Tongkat Ali 200:1 extract (higher concentration than some which offer only 100:1) in 800 mg per serving (two pills). Also known as longjack or eurycoma longifolia. This is claimed to boost testosterone, act as an aphrodisiac of sorts boosting libido and give energy etc. (as a result of test levels increased)

Dosing is easy, just two small capsules. No taste issues or obviously any mixability issues. It says to dose 5 days on 2 days off but I figured I would use all 30 servings consecutively because I was under the impression "cycling" on and off is for longer period use and I was just trying for a month so I wanted to use it to its full potential of effectiveness.

I know I am young so some of you reading this may say "well of course it didn't work for you, testosterone boosters only work for older people with lower test." Well, first of all I have tried DAA before which in fact can* (conflicting research) boost testosterone even in young men 18-24 and I felt more of an effect from that than I did from the tongkat ali even though I had higher hopes of this. I tried this because in a harsh caloric deficit like the one I was in, sometimes you lose energy "desire" etc. and I wanted to see if this helped. It seemed to have an occasional effect. It would "kick in" sometimes I would feel and I would feel a boost in drive and desire but was unpredictable it seems. Some days were effective and others it's like nothing was different.

Value is a mixed bag. 60 dollars for 30 servings isn't necessarily cheap, at 2 dollars per serving. However, many tongkat ali supplements ARE very expensive given it seems to be difficult to source or produce products with since so many companies charge this much for it. For example, another company on Amazon sells the same 200:1 extract in 400 mg pills and gives 50 pills for 58.50, so there is only 25 servings instead of 30 for roughly the same price. However, you can also find the Nutricost 200:1 Extract, 60 pills of 500 mg for ONLY 13.95, which is actually more tongkat ali for less than 1/3 of the price.

Side Effects

Honestly had no undesired side effects from this. Some people say testosterone boosters/libido enhancers, or related ingredients like DAA can give you pretty bad acne etc. but this did not carry any of those.

Conclusion

Overall, I had very high hopes for this product and sometimes* I could feel the positive effects (libido energy etc) while on a caloric deficit where usually those drop, but it was hit and miss in effectiveness and I am definitely not sure if it is worth the price at 2 dollars per serving.

Thanks to VMI Sports for sending it out!
  February 18, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improved Hydration
  • Reduced Fatigue
  • Taste
  • Endurance
  • Fully Disclosed
  • Magnesium Glycinate Glutamine Chelate
  • Artificial Dyes

To start off, we have the three BCAAs Lecuine (3.5 grams - above the baseline 3 gram dose needed to be effective in clinical studies) and Isoleucine and Valine at 1.75g each. On top of the bcaas, 400mg MGG is included (magnesium glycinate glutamine) as well as TRAACs electrolytes by Albion to assist with hydration. These are seemingly subtle touches but definitely beef up what would be a simple BCAA formula. Also, 1.25 grams of Betaine is included (betaine helps with strength/endurance) and is definitely one of my favorite ingredients found in pre workouts so it is cool to find it in an intra workout so I was very impressed with that!

Aminogex really knocks it out of the park in all 3 of these categories. In terms of dosing, 1 scoop size is enough to give you an effective dose of BCAAs. I did not have a single issue with mixability, I usually just mixed a scoop to a scoop and a half with 12 ounces of water in my blender bottle. Taste is AWESOME!! I normally don't give too much credit to a supplement for the taste since most supplements these days have gotten a lot better when it comes to flavors, and at the end of the day we drink it for the effects not the taste but HOLY these taste good. I got the Pina Colada tub but VMI sent a sample packet of every single flavor and I must say I loved every single one (9/10) except for the Orange flavor which I would give probably a 7. If I were to buy again I would def buy the cherry limeade or pink lemonade flavor.

Being perfectly honest, and I'm sure a lot of you agree, it is hard to judge the actual effectiveness of a BCAA supplement but I used this while in a caloric deficit for around a 4 week minicut and I retained all of my strength during the cut, and didn't lose any muscle while dropping over 2.5-3% bodyfat and 10 pounds. Obviously this was a result of caloric intake but I used Aminogex during every training session, which were long and intense and I did cardio after each long training session (practically fasted) so I would say this definitely helped me in some way, shape, or form.

I can find 30 servings for 26-27 dollars on amazon which isn't that bad considering this is in the upper half of amino supplements, but you can still find comparable supps like Xtend, Gold Standard, Amino X etc. for around 20-24 dollars for 30 servings. However, I would PERSONALLY spend a few dollars more for something that I think is a step up from those supplements so I have to give it a pretty good score for value.

Side Effects

No side effects at all.

Conclusion

Overall, this supp exceeded my expectations for sure! I think this is a really good upper-tier amino supplement/intra-workout that isn't necessarily as comprehensive as something such as Intra Blast, but is also far cheaper than that leaving this as definitely one of the better amino supps for the money!

Thanks to Wildflower for sending it out!
  January 18, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Help Relieve Bothersome Aches And Pains
  • No THC
  • Pleasant Aroma Vapor
  • Kind Of Expensive
  • Not Refillable

Well the active ingredient in this is CBD (cannabidiol) which is one of the 113 cannabinoids in cannabis. No, there is no THC in this product so 1: you will not get "high" and 2: you will not show up on a drug test for using this. CBD has been shown to have many natural pain relief benefits as well as anti-inflammatory properties so I suppose this is exactly why this is touted as "Aches" a joint/pain relief product.

The taste isn't that bad, it's kind of a cooling taste, not exactly like a normal mint taste, it's hard to describe. The dosing is where I have qualms with the product. So it says the device comes with 500mg of oil providing 150mg of CBD and that the product is capable of 150 draws before it runs out. One of the big issues is, what is the correct dosage to take? It never really gives a general suggestion of how many draws per day you should use it/what the effective dosage in mg of CBD is so I generally took around 5 draws a day or even more but this led it to less than a month worth of usage before it runs out. If there were specific instructions or guidelines included that would be beneficial.

Joint health/inflammation/pain can generally be an area that is a little harder to judge the effectiveness as it is a lot harder to quantify versus something performance based in terms of strength/weight gain/ fat loss etc. but I can compare this to other joint support products I have taken. I have had fairly severe knee issues in the past because I was slightly cartilage deficient which led to joint pain and inflammation in the knee area if I did leg workouts so I generally would use a product based off the "basic" ingredients such as Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin, and Hyaluronic acid, and I found these were far better for avoiding general joint inflammation. One way that I DID see a better effect than usual with this product was some shoulder pain that I sometimes have seemed to be slightly reduced. It wasn't joint pain but just muscular pain, so it wasn't specifically the "joint support" type of this product but rather general anti-inflammatory benefit.

Here is where I find this product takes a hit. I have found that the vaporizer costs 60 dollars, and given that most people will go through it in a month or even less, you will be essentially paying 2 dollars a day to use it. I have found that all the other joint support products I have taken in the past have not only been more effective but have been FAR cheaper in terms of cost per day. The actual device feels pretty high quality and comes in good packaging, but I just couldn't justify wanting to spend that much on this. It would probably be much cheaper if you could keep the same device and just refill it with CBD oil.

Side Effects

Fortunately, I had no real side effects. I had no idea what side effects I would even expect. The first couple times I used it I could've sworn it had a very very mild "calm" feeling but I'm pretty certain that was just the placebo effect.

Conclusion

This was definitely a new experience for me as a supplement, and an experiment at that, and while I do see mild benefits from this product I think in terms of practicality it's not as effective as simply using pills that could possibly work better AND be a lot cheaper. CBD does have general health benefits but in terms of just a joint support product, I would give this a try only if what you use now doesn't work well enough for you.

Thanks to Regicide Supplements for sending it out!
  January 14, 2018

• Good Pumps
  • Taste

Honestly this is one of the most comprehensive formulas I have seen in a pre workout recently. Not only does it have a complete 6 gram BCAA complex, but a whopping 4.2 gram dose of beta-alanine, 3 grams of citrulline and 3 grams of citrulline malate (yielding 4.5 grams of active citrulline), 1.5 grams of creatine HCl, Betaine, and ALCAR, and 1 gram of Taurine, Tyrosine, and Agmatine Sulfate. The caffeine dosage is 300mg and includes 300mg L-Theanine to work synergistically with the caffeine. This is a super solid formula, the only things I could even think of suggesting would be to change the Betaine dose to 2.5 grams, but Betaine is still effective at the 1.5 gram dosage. Same goes for Creatine HCl. Super impressed with the formula.

Here is where the supplement takes a very slight hit. Let me just start by saying the mixability was surprisingly good for how many ingredients are in the formula, and the dosing with the 1 scoop is very very simple. The taste is pretty terrible though in all honesty. It only comes in the flavor Watermelon, and I'm not a big watermelon fan but I have had several melon flavored pre workouts that were pretty good. This pre smells like it would taste really good but every time I drink it it gives me goosebumps, it reminds me of drinking something mixed with cheap vodka. OBVIOUSLY, we don't drink pre for the taste so it's not the end of the world but it could use improving if possible.

This pre is very effective. It gives about as much energy/mental kick as you would expect from a pre where caffeine is the only stim, but I found it did have a slight increase in focus, but there are ingredients for that like Tyrosine so I understand why. The pump is a major selling point for this pre. With the 3 grams of L-Citrulline and 3 grams of Citrulline-Malate (1:1 ratio) that alone would give an awesome pump but there is also an entire gram of agmatine sulfate so my veins were popping like crazy. The endurance and strength increase is also pretty solid likely thanks to the Creatine HCl, Betaine, and Beta-Alanine. It's a powerful formula but "mild" feeling which is good.

Unfortunately, I think value is where the supplement kind of goes down. Although I do find this pre workout even more complete than many other clinically dosed big-hitters like Pulse or Outlift, those are 37-39 dollars for 20 servings, and I don't find the slight increase in quality justify the jump in price. At 52 dollars per 20 servings, this comes down to $2.60 per serving which is quite expensive. I understand WHY it is expensive, but I still think it could be a little cheaper.

Side Effects

I had no side effects from taking this. Usually 300 mg of caffeine and up can have side effects on me but I attribute no side effects to the inclusion of L-Theanine which can counteract jitters or anxiety from caffeine.

Conclusion

Overall, I think this is a super solid contender in the pre workout market which can beat out like-minded supplements like Pre-Jym, Pre-Kaged, and even Outlift and Pulse. Having said this, with having such an impressive formula comes a spike in price that I'm not fully convinced is 100% worth it yet. On top of this, the taste had me dreading having to drink it before my workouts. Despite both of those minor setbacks if you have the money to spend on it I would definitely try this out, and thanks to Regicide for including this in the TROOPs program!!!

Overall
Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
  November 16, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Helps With Recovery
  • Increases Hydration
  • A Little Expensive
  • Stains Shakers

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)

The ingredient profile is one of the more comprehensive formulas I have seen in the aminos market, with around 3 grams of Essential Amino Acids to accompany the 7.2 gram BCAA matrix (with an efficacious dose of Leucine, which isn't found in some BCAA supps per 1 serving). On top of this, there's 5 grams of glutamine, 2 grams of betaine (one of my favorite ingredients - stacks nicely with the betaine in my pre workout), a gram of ornithine in the form of OKG, and Taurine, Calcium/Sodium Phosphate/Magnesium Malate (electrolytes and for hydration support)

I'll start with taste: I received the Sweet Tea flavor and at first was slightly disappointed since I was hoping for a fruit flavor like passion fruit or orange mango. The first day that I used it, I didn't really like it and it kind of reminded me of what "diet" sweetened iced tea/green tea tastes like. For some reason though, every day it tasted better and better to me and as I just finished the container and had to go to the gym with just water, I was a little disappointed. I will say, it was in its sweet spot when I used lots of ice or really cold water, and over 20 ounces of water per scoop.

Mixability: I saw a couple people mention foam in their reviews but I really didn't see this as an issue. If you use a solid amount of water like >20oz and then shake it up, it will be slightly foamy at the top for a minute or two but then it goes away and is perfectly normal consistency for the rest of your workout

Dosing: I think the dosing on this supplement is pretty close to perfect. The BCAAs are all dosed pretty generously, passing the 3 gram baseline level of Leucine to be truly effective in a pre. the 5 grams of Kyowa glutamine surpasses pretty much all other supplements containing it, the 2 grams of betaine is impressive considering many other companies would only use 1-1.25 grams of it. All of this is very convenient because it truly is a 1 scoop formula, it's not like many other amino supps where you need to use 2 servings to get the clinical, truly effective dosages you want.

Effectiveness is a hard one for me to tell with BCAAs. I personally amino supplements are far more important to take when you're cutting compared to bulking, and I took this while bulking. I ESPECIALLY become weary over just how useful bcaas are while looking at recent studies (https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0184-9) .... however this supplement does contain more than simply the 3 BCAAs so that is something to definitely consider.

HAVING SAID THIS: whether placebo or not (I don't think it was because I never really had insanely high hopes) I do feel as though my endurance/hydration during exercise was slightly prolonged, and my recovery positively benefited from taking this. It's hard to quantify how effective it was and try to value it, but I could tell that it definitely had SOME sort of positive impact on my training. If I was in a deficit, I would DEFINITELY want to utilize this product

Most places I have seen for this sold for around 40 dollars per 30 servings which makes it around $1.33 per serving. While this isn't necessarily super expensive, many BCAA supplements can be found at around $.70-$1.00 per serving, even as low as 60 cents per serving for Xtend (I think Intra Blast is better than Xtend and more comprehensive of a formula, but it IS double the price per serving). I would definitely buy this if it was on sale or if there was a deal along the lines of "Buy one get one 50% off" etc.

Side Effects

I'm happy to say this is the first BCAA supplement that's caused no sort of heartburn or stomach discomfort even a single time across the whole tub's usage. I've experienced this in the past with several amino supps. Good job NutraBio!

Conclusion

Overall, this is the first amino supplement I have actually "clicked" with and truly felt confident taking/felt a benefit from. The only drawback that I can really think of is the price is a lot higher than many competitors' amino products BUT you do get what you pay for and I find this to be a superior product to those! Will definitely consider buying in the future

Thanks to Nutrex for sending it out!
  August 28, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Clinically Dosed
  • Pumps
  • Actual Performance Benefits
  • Lack Of Focus
  • Energy Could Be Stronger

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)

Citrulline Malate 2:1 8 g (Nitric Oxide Production/Increased Strength Over Prolonged Use)
Carnosyn Beta-Alanine 3.2 g (Endurance and Recovery)
Betaine Anhydrous 2.5 g (Also promotes NO increase/Endurance)
Creatine MagnaPower (Creatine Magnesium Chelate) 2 g (Functions like normal creatine but "better absorption")
Taurine 2 g (Endurance and Increased Recovery)
N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine 750 mg (Focus/Mood Enhancer)
Choline Bitartrate 500 mg (Mental Energy/Focus)
Caffeine (Active) 350 mg
Kaff2 Citrate 50.2% (yielding 200mg caffeine) (Raises Caffeine Blood Levels Faster than Other Caffeine Forms)
Caffeine Anhydrous (yielding 150mg caffeine) (Okay we all know what caffeine does lol)
Theacrine (as TeaCrine) 50 mg (Energy/Focus without Tolerance Buildup)
Bioperine [(Piper nigrum extract)(fruit)] 5 mg (Enhances Absorption)
Rauwolscine 1.5 mg (Increases Duration of Fat Breakdown)

Tried summing up essentially what each ingredient is used for!!

I tried the cosmic burst flavor and I thought it was absolutely awesome. The taste was like a mixture of orange, pink, and red starburst, which is spot on considering the illustration on the bottle is very reminiscent of starburst candy (as well as the name... COSMIC burst lol) so they were right on the mark for flavor, which I was impressed by. I had absolutely no qualms with the mixability at all, aside from when it pressurized and blew up my shaker bottle *read below in side effects* but that was my fault. As far as dosing goes, no one can really complain. Everything in here is clinically dosed: the only ingredient one could argue on is Creatine, since the established "clinical dose" is 5 grams, or 3 grams for maintenance, and this has 2 grams, but those dosages are for monohydrate, and given that this is in the form of "Creatine MagnaPower" (magnesium creatine chelate) the absorption is supposedly better but there is some discretion in the studies. This article summarizes the several studies nicely: http://www.predatornutrition.com/articlesdetail?cid=magnesium-creatine-chelate-vs-creatine-monohydrate so I would have preferred the 3 grams of creatine monohydrate found in the original version of Outlift.

I have mixed feelings on the effectiveness of this product. The first few times that I used this, I was under the impression that this would probably become one of my top 3 preworkout supplements, but I feel like it was just a "honeymoon" phase because I was coming off from a break from all stimulants when I started using this so I could accurately gauge the strength (so I wouldn't have a caffeine tolerance problem). I never really got good "focus" enhancing effects from this pre workout despite it having Choline Bitartrate and Tyrosine in it, but I wasn't really expecting Mesomorph or Nitramine levels of focus anyway. The energy was okay but was nothing great in my opinion. When I finished the tub, the first pre workout I took the day after was Catalyst and I felt Catalyst was noticeably stronger in terms of energy and focus.

Having said that, aside from energy/focus the physical performance aspects of the pre were definitely there. I was putting up pretty decent numbers with consistency that I am not going to attribute to solely my training or diet. EVERY time I used the preworkout I had a super solid pump, but with 8 grams of citrulline malate it's literally impossible not to.

The cheapest this pre workout is currently listed (since the "AMPED" version is relatively new) is 40 dollars for 20 servings, so we're seeing 2 dollars per serving as the price. This is the very upper end of pre workouts, given that many of the "clinically dosed" competitors such as Catalyst, Pre-Jym, and even Legion Pulse can be found for anywhere from $1.60-$1.90 per serving. So this isn't necessarily a "great buy" but when you consider the fact that the original version of Outlift includes fully dosed BCAAs in it, it's almost as if it is both an Amino AND pre workout supplement in one, and even Outlift can be found at 1.70 per serving. Having said that, this pre IS fairly impressive with dosage and I would imagine if they come out with a 30 serving size instead of 20 serving the price may go down.

Side Effects

I was having some issues with insomnia while taking this. I have taken pre workouts with more stims in them than this and haven't had the same issues. I think TeaCrine may have been the culprit since the energy enhancing effects of TeaCrine last "a prolonged period after consumption"

Also I don't know where to put this so I will just put it in the "side effect" category but it's something that happened to my blender bottle, not me... okay so pretty much, the label says "do not shake vigorously, can cause pressurization" so I can't really say I didn't deserve it. But one day I put a scoop of the pre into my blender bottle and instead of just kinda spinning it around like I normally do, I closed the lid and fully shook it as if I was making a protein shake. Well, it foamed up (presumably because the pre contains sodium bicarbonate) and pressurized to the point that my bottle quite literally exploded and the plastic lid split open. It literally ripped in half. Once again, I'm not blaming the company, I forgot the bottle said that and was just following muscle memory of using a blender bottle to mix things haha

Conclusion

Overall, I think on paper this pre workout has an incredibly solid formula, and for the most part, it performs very well in the gym, but despite Nutrex's efforts to make this the "stronger energy" version of the Outlift, I still was left wanting a little bit more in the intensity department. I am considering buying it in the future, but would definitely buy it if the price was lower, like many of its competitors! FOR SURE worth a try at least.

June 12, 2017

• Good For Newbies
  • No Jitters
  • Some Ingredients Underdosed At 1 Serving

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)
I'm a natural bodybuilder who is attending the University of Arizona who has been fascinated by supplementation for quite awhile and have put hours and hours into reading sports medicine journals and research papers testing how effective supplements/individual ingredients are. I mostly am familiar with different formulations of pre workouts, so this is right down my alley.

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)

The ingredients aren't anything mindblowing, but this can be seen as a good thing. For the most part, they used ingredients that are tried and true. The only stimulant is caffeine, there's trusty creatine monohydrate instead of some blend of all these expensive, unnecessary forms of creatine, there's beta-alanine for endurane, L-citrulline (not arginine, yay!) for nitric oxide boosting, as well as Acetyl-L-Carnitine HCl (the most clinically proven form of Carnitine for performance enhancement) and Tyrosine for some mild energy/focus type effects.

I'll start with the taste. I got the pineapple flavor and I think it's awesome. I would go as far as saying it is the best tasting pre-workout that I have tried (well, probably tied with Pineapple Mango of the old formula of MusclePharm Assault) but that is saying a lot considering I have tried upwards of 25 different pre workout flavors in the past couple years.

In terms of mixability, it mixes really well except for the fact that a little bit of creatine sticks to the sides and bottom of the cup no matter how hard you try mixing it, but this is pretty standard with all products containing creatine monohydrate so I can't really complain about it.

Dosing: this is where my issues with the pre workout are. First of all, I will just start by saying that there isn't enough citrulline. 1 scoop has 750mg of L-Citrulline, where the studies suggest that the clinical dose is 6 grams of citrulline malate (or roughly 4g of L-citrulline since citrulline malate is in a 2:1 ratio). So this means that even if you have two scoops of the pre workout, you're only getting 1.5 g of citrulline. For somone who always puts bulk citrulline malate in their pre workouts such as me, this is no issue, but for others, you are getting underdosed unfortunately.

Also, there is 1.5g beta alanine per scoop and 3g of creatine monohydrate, where the benchmark doses for effectiveness of those ingredients are 3.2 grams and 5 grams, respectively. Once again, if you take two scoops you will be getting 3 grams of beta alanine and 6 grams of creatine which are great doses, but then again you are taking two scoops of the formula and next thing you know, the 30 serving container really becomes a mere 15 servings, which isn't ideal. Another thing to consider is each scoop has 175mg caffeine, and if a user is caffeine sensitive, two scoops will yield 350mg of caffeine which is a bit steep for some.

In terms of effectiveness, I actually really like the pre for "clean" energy. I usually have a bottle of Nitramine or Mesomorph on hand, but sometimes you just don't want to have DMAA or a formula with 4-5 stims in it, and you just want some more "mild" energy (or if you are working out at night and want to be able to fall asleep at a decent hour for work or school). This is where the pre workout really shines, I wouldn't try setting a bunch of PRs using this, but when you want to get a pretty solid workout in without dealing with any negative side effects, insomnia, or jitters, or want to do cardio after a workout, I would highly recommend this.

Because of the issues I mentioned earlier with dosing (See: two sections above) the value of this pre workout unfortunately plummets pretty hard when you start using two scoops to get clinical doses of the key ingredients. I generally never buy anything at GNC since I consider it far overpriced but I was visiting a friend who worked there and noticed they sell 36 serving containers instead of 30 serving containers for the same price as 30 serving containers at other vendors so I actually bought two of them and got 72 servings for 58 dollars, but the value isn't all there if you buy the normal 30 serving container for 30 dollars. At this price it is 1 dollar per serving, and when you start taking two servings if you want correct dosages on ingredients, then it becomes two dollars for one serving, which is pretty bad value considering you can get a lot more solid pre workouts with clinical dosages or including full amino acid spectrums in them for around $1.70-2.00 per serving.

Side Effects

I actually haven't experienced any side effects from this pre workout. No heartburn, no indigestion, no jitters since the only stimulant is caffeine, no abundant sweating since it isn't loaded with thermogenics. Very pleased with how I haven't experienced any undesirable effects from this.

Conclusion

Overall, I think this is a pretty solid pre workout for when you don't want to take anything intense, and the ingredients it has are definitely effective, but the fatal flaw of this pre workout is that it really is more of a "two scoop" formula and it simply isn't economical to pay full price on this and take two scoops all the time as your primary pre workout, but rather one that you can take "sometimes" when you don't want to use something else.

May 19, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Focus
  • Great Pump
  • No Fatigue
  • Drinkable
  • Heart Rate Is Fast And Hard
  • Proprietary Blend
  • Crash

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)

The ingredients are pretty comprehensive but nothing mind-blowing for a pre workout: beta-alanine for added endurance, arginine/citrulline as nitric oxide boosters (although I would have preferred they just used a bigger dosage of Citrulline since it is more effective), a few different forms of creatine (which *might* have very small evidence to prove that it may have "increased absorption" but aren't necessarily "better" than just using a clinical dose of monohydrate),but the flagship ingredient in this pre workout is DMAA. If you don't know what DMAA is, it's hard to put its whole history into just a review here but it's a pretty strong stimulant with a slightly controversial past regarding if it really IS safe, but it gives pretty ridiculous lasting energy and intense focus.

I personally bought the "Rocket Pop" flavor and honestly, I expected it to taste pretty badly, but it was actually delicious. It wasn't overly sweet, and it's an oddly satisfying flavor that you kind of just want to chug down. For reference, I would be comfortable drinking an intra-workout supplement with that flavor, and usually most BCAA supps are way better tasting than pre workouts. In terms of mixability, it actually mixed well and didn't leave much powder on the bottom/edges of the cup like most creatine-containing supplements.

Dosing is one of the only areas of this pre workout where I have a few issues. Proprietary blends in general are a bit frustrating to deal with, but upon actually looking at the ingredients that go into each section of the blend you can tell certain ingredients HAVE to be underdosed. For example, the first portion of the proprietary blend is 6500 mg, and it is disclosed that 1 scoop has 4000 mg of beta-alanine (a great dose, by the way) but this leaves 2500 mg left of the blend to be split between Citrulline Malate and Arginine AKG. If the clinical dose of Citrulline Malate is 6 grams, and there's 2.5 grams of CM AND Arginine AKG, you know you aren't really getting a true dose of citrulline, which is unfortunate. Same goes for the next blend. The second ingredient is taurine, before the other forms of creatine, so you don't truly know if you're getting enough creatine. As is, that blend is only 4500mg so you could only be getting around 2-3g of creatine. These problems are easy to circumvent for me personally as I add raw citrulline into every pre I take and take creatine monohydrate anyway, but to others who don't do this, that may be not getting enough of what they want.

Wow, I don't even know where to begin honestly. The first day that I took this was leg day, and I was doing "higher rep" work. (higher rep for me on squats is anything above 4-5 haha). I normally do a 5x5 of squats ass-to-grass with 275 but on every set I ended up hitting 7,8, or even 9 reps. It was like I wasn't getting fatigued. This translated to the rest of my workout and I truly couldn't believe it. One of my friends asked if I started using AAS (wish that was a joke) because the numbers were abnormally up from normal that workout. This wasn't just a "honeymoon" phase where it worked super well the first time, it consistently worked throughout the whole tub without me building a huge tolerance to it. As is, I only took around 3/4 of a scoop when I took it because that was the "Sweet spot" for the dmaa dosage to give me energy without making me lose it and have to deal with more rapid heartbeat/bigger crash etc.

I bought this from strong supplement shop, where it was 36 dollars for 25 servings, which I would say is not necessarily the best value in terms of price per serving considering a few things are underdosed, but like I mentioned in the effectiveness section, I (and a few other people I know) found that we sometimes found a sweet spot of using 2/3 to 3/4 of a scoop instead of a full scoop so when I did this, I really ended up getting around 32-35 servings from the container instead of 25 which actually became much better for the money.

Side Effects

As one could expect, the big thing that I could say in terms of side effects is that you do get rapid heartbeat, a little more so than with regular pre workouts, which kind of made me slow down after a few sets and focus on breathing slow and controlled which is a bit annoying but it's a trade off of the insane energy you have from dmaa. Another side effect is that I noticed you kind of hit an actual crash afterward, much harder than even stim-heavy pre workouts, which is another characteristic I attribute specifically to the dmaa.

Conclusion

Overall, this is a very very good pre workout to have in your arsenal, but I wouldn't say one that needs using every day. Honestly, sometimes I found this pre workout was TOO strong and I didn't need it if I was just going to hit some higher rep shoulders and arms etc. However, when you really need a huge kick in the ass, because you're going heavy on deadlifts or squats, or trying to set a bench max, or if you are lacking energy/motivation to go and get a lift in, this will work wonders. The prop blends are a bit of a pain to deal with, but where else are you going to find a fairly well-rounded pre workout with DMAA in it? I would recommend, but it's not perfect.

November 28, 2016

• Increased Appetite
  • Slightly Expensive

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)
I'm a young college student in engineering who has been lifting approaching 3 years now. I have between an ecto/meso type build and have been slowly "lean bulking" (more of a recomp style eating above maintenance with high activity) for all of my lifting career. I train using Layne Norton's "PHAT" system that I have slightly modified to hit legs and shoulders a bit harder (my lagging spots).

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)

Laxogenin: ingredient derived from plants to increase nitrogen retention and protein synthesis, has been said to decrease cortisol (which is known to have a negative impact on building muscle, can also contribute to fat gain). Is non hormonal but considered fairly anabolic, I know lots of companies make laxogenin products (example: primeval labs super laxo, nano genin, blackstone labs anogenin etc.)

Epicatechin: a molecule found in cocoa plants, it helps inhibit the release of myostatin, a protein that limits muscle growth. Myostatin is there to regulate and "limit" our muscle growth to a degree, so by inhibiting the release of it, we allow more potential muscle to be built.

Vitamin D3: pretty self-explanatory, if you are deficient in D vitamins you will have a very hard time building muscle, and you may develop fat tissue more easily

Fructus shisandrae: another plant ingredient, said to "help performance" and possibly reduce stress. Not as well known as a lot of other ingredients so I am not sure I will try to claim how effective it is

No taste or mixability issues from the capsules, they don't leave behind a bad taste in your mouth. In terms of dosing, only complaint I have is that it is a proprietary bland so you don't really know how many mg of laxogenin or epicatechin you are getting compared to some other products which sell just one of the ingredients in a pill. The takeaway from that though is it is often the same price for just one of the ingredients.

The effectiveness of Anafuse actually was a pleasant surprise to me. Honestly, it made me so hungry that one could argue the reason I gained weight on it (4.8 pounds in a month) was because of my food consumption, but at the same time, my friends were saying I was looking leaner and more vascular in the arm/shoulder/chest area. Apparently my striations were more visible so clearly it wasn't just a "dirty bulk" type effect. I didn't notice any strength gains, which is odd, because part of my training program is meant to build strength, but I'll take almost 5 pounds gained with no obvious fat increase in a month.

At $55 for a bottle with just 60 servings (or even just 30 servings if you take the max dose) one could say this is really expensive for a "natural" product. After all, one could buy liposomal delivery andro products if they really wanted to in the $45-60 range and get way better gains. Having said that, part of what makes this product special is the fact that it works without having the hormonal side effects/suppression/etc. Also, a lot of other companies sell either JUST the ingredient laxogenin or JUST the ingredient epicatechin at a similar price, so when you consider that Anafuse has both of these ingredients in a bottle at a slightly higher price, you really are saving compared to other supplements. I wish this would be more around the marks of $45 instead of $55, which may affect if I buy it again, but it did work!

Side Effects

Honestly, the only side effect I got from taking this is that I had a very very uncontrollable appetite once I upped the dose to two servings a day. By "uncontrollable" I mean, I would go to my university's food court, and order 2 chicken sandwiches from chick-fil-a, and 2 pieces of pizza from papa john's, finish both of them, then continue to be hungry. It's like my body did not have an "off switch." The only good thing about this was that it was very easy to get in all my calories for the day and this definitely helped me gain weight.

Conclusion

Overall, I was actually a bit surprised that this worked since I was pretty skeptical about it. One of the huge upsides of this product is that it is non-hormonal, and younger lifters (I'm talking anyone below 25) always have to consider that taking hormonal products before reaching their peak testosterone production could affect their development in the long run, so using products that are safe like this and still ensure gains is a huge plus. I think this product shines versus many competitors because it has both laxogenin/epicatechin in one product instead of needing to buy separate products, which can save money, but I do wish at $55 a bottle, there wouldn't be a proprietary blend. To conclude, I do recommend trying at least one bottle.