bigmc

• Moderate community participation

Reviews by bigmc

March 19, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Effective
    I seriously can't believe I forgot to write this review!!! This is probably the best product I've tried in a long time.

I'll first note that I've been using the pills not the powder(slightly different profiles)
    TERRA Pod Ballistic Beadlet **

TERRA Pod Ballistic Beadlet **
    Caffeine Anhydrous [200mg], Sensoril® Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) extract (root/leaf), [std. to 8% Withanolides, and 32% Oligosaccharides], Advantra Z® Bitter Orange (Citrus aurantium) extract (fruit), [supplying synephrine, N-Methyltyramine, Hordenine, Tyramine, and Octopamine], Synephrine HCl, Huperzine A (Huperzia serrata) extract (aerial parts), Yohimbine HCl, Mucuna pruriens extract (seeds), [std. to 40% L-DOPA], BioPerine® Black Pepper (Piper nigrum) extract (fruit), [std. to 95% Piperine]
    Diffusion Carrier Oil **
    Medium Chain Triglycerides, Safflower Oil, [std. to 78% Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)]

Yeah yeah yeah, proprietary blend I know how much we all hate this but what can I say like Performix's other products it just works so I dont question it. Caffeine obvious helps speed up the metabolize but I REALLY like the addition of synephrine here since it only takes a little bit to really help fire up the amount of calories you're burning. Yohimbine HCl is a really cool ingredient, it suppresses the alpha 2 receptors which helps to release fat cells. Couple this with the long chain fatty acid metabolizer CLA and you have a combine that not only speeds up your metabolic rate but also really hones in on fat cells.

Now like the other performix products this also uses the time released delivery system. This product has about an 8 hour half life so it releases the ingredients throughout the day, hence the once a day dosing. I truly believe this is why this product is so damn effective.

Two pills first thing in the morning, pretty easy

Ok I will say this, I train 4 days a week and I eat an above average diet(not perfect by any means but solid). I have my macros pretty much down as well as super low sugar, if you really want details just message me. With all that said over the past two months I've been able to cut around 17lbs or roughly 1.5-2lbs a week. My strength has actually stayed the same or went slight up.

$60 for a month supply is a little pricey but for the results I saw very fair. I will note I got this for free from a rep, I know perks of my job lol.

Side Effects

None really, very clean energy no jitters at all. Only thing I will note is this, it does use synephrine which is a banned substance by the NCAA, last time I checked at least.

Conclusion

Alright lets see probably an under dosed but effect profile, a little pricey, no side effects. I would say this fat burner is a true gem, it does what it says unlike most others on the market. I would highly recommend this for those looking to get ready for the beach.

February 28, 2015

• IMOs
    • Bloating

I'm going to start off by saying that this review might not be popular, it probably won't be received well by some, and could possible make some people redo their diets. With all that being said I'm going to lay out the facts and let you decide what you think of this bar.

Protein blend (whey protein isolate, milk protein isolate), isomalto-oligosaccharides, almonds, water, natural flavors, sea salt, lo han guo, sucralose.

Easy enough to break down; All isolate grade protein, great start, almonds, water, natural favors and sea salt are again still looking amazing. Lo han qua is a herb popular in China so still all good.

Well lets see what did we leave out? Oh isomalto-oligosaccharides(or IMOs for short). What are these things you might be asking yourself; I'll tell you. They are a MAN MADE FAKE fiber which funny enough Quest is in the middle of a lawsuit because of, but that's a whole another story. Basically the problem with IMOs are that they as mostly unable to be broken down by the body. So this means technically you are getting ZERO actual fiber from a Quest bar. Also on the flip side these IMOs can cause bloating and inflammation to happen in the body which in turn can lead to a decrease in fat burning and muscle building.

Taste is obviously the main selling point of these bars. They are simply one of the top tasting bars on the market

NA/10
    In terms of filling you up and being a good snack I suppose it does do its job, however because of the above listed side effects I'll let you guys decide how effect it really is

$25 for a box of 12 bars is pretty much standard for a protein bar

Side Effects

Personally I did notice a lot of bloating after eating these bars and I know a respectable amount of others who would say the same thing

Conclusion

Ok all in all Quest bars are almost the perfect protein bar but because of the IMOs I really can't say they are anything more than average at best. I will state that some people can handle IMOs better than others so before some of you come running to defend Quest I will say that. However for myself being bloated just to enjoy a protein bar just is not worth it.

February 22, 2015

• Unique Delivery System
      Hey it's been awhile since I last reviewed a product, but honestly I haven't tried anything worth writing about for a couple months until this new pre workout from Performix.

Performix™ ION Preworkout Complex† 3714.00 mg **

CarnoSyn ® Beta-Alanine **
      Citrulline Malate 2:1 **
      BioPerine® Black Pepper (Piper nigrum) extract (fruit)[std. to 95% Piperine] **
      BetaPower Betaine Anhydrous **
      Advantra Z® Bitter Orange (Citrus aurantium) extract (fruit) [synephrine n-methyltryamine hordenine tryamine and octopamine] **
      Rauwolscine (Rauvolfia canescens) Extract (bark)[std. to 90% Alpha Yohimbine HCl] **
      Caffeine 175.00 mg

First let me explain how this pre workout works and what sets it apart. The guys over at Performix designed a time released pre workout, basically they use these little beads that will disperse the ingredentants throughout your workout leaving you with no mid workout crash. Now on to the actual profile creatine HCL is really nice to see over the typical monohydrate which required high glycemic carbs in order to absorb properly, Beta-alanine to help the fast twitch muscle fibers to fire more effectively(and give those cool tingles), citrulline malate 2:1 and yohimbine for the pumps, REALLY love the addition of synephrine(ephedra's little cousin) combined with caffeine for the energy.

Now I know a lot of you guys are clearly knowledgable about supplements and clinically effective doses. Some might be asking, but bro it's only a 4g blend surely it's underdosed. I kind of is I can't really say anything about that but like a lot of other review sites have been saying it really doesn't seem to effect the experience you get with this product. I would say a lot has to do with it's unique dispersal system. Basically it's a feel thing with this pre and trust me it really does deliver a powerful workout.

Taste is second to none, even beats out c4 in my mind. Mix ability is 100% fine, just use a shaker bottle and you'll be good to go. Dosing is simple just a single scoop is all you really need.

This is where the product really shines. I would say take this 30 mins before the workout, it takes a little bit to really kick in. The mental focus really great, energy levels were amazing all throughout the workout(no mid workout crash), pumps were pretty solid too. Really not a single compliant on my part, it really helped make my workout better.

45 servings for $49.99 is just a steal these days. Can't tell you how many 30-60 "serving" pre workouts I've purchased and ended up doing 2-3 scoops, spending like $2-$3 a workout. This comes out to be a modest $1.11 a serving.

Side Effects

None really but I workout in the morning. I would probably not recommend taking this too late at night as it will probably keep you up.

Overall

9.5/10
      Overall I would highly recommend trying this unique preworkout. If you're tired of those mid workout crashes than this guy is for you. Much better than the typical pre workouts I've tried, and trust me I've a lot of them. Uses high quality ingredients, maybe not in the highest doses but due to the unique delivery system it makes up for it. In the end it enhances your workout which is obviously the purpose of any pre workout.

September 22, 2014

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Insane Focus
        I can't believe I haven't reviewed this product yet; I've been using it for the past month or so and have been loving it.

Profile-8.5/10
        Caffeine Anhydrous 160.00 mg **
        Myristica fragrans extract (nutmeg) (seed) 100.00 mg **
        Brown algae extract (as Ecklonia cava) (stem and leaf) 36.00 mg **
        Holy basil extract (as Ocimum tenuiflorum) (leaf) 20.00 mg **
        Grains of paradise extract (as Aframomum me...

Profile-8.5/10
        Caffeine Anhydrous 160.00 mg **
        Myristica fragrans extract (nutmeg) (seed) 100.00 mg **
        Brown algae extract (as Ecklonia cava) (stem and leaf) 36.00 mg **
        Holy basil extract (as Ocimum tenuiflorum) (leaf) 20.00 mg **
        Grains of paradise extract (as Aframomum melegueta) (seed)

A lot of the usual suspects here, BA, caffeine, and some myristica for the focus. I'll skip the basics because most of you already know all about them. The real mystery in this formula is the Adenosine 5’- triphosphate disodium aka ATP. This is what our body uses for energy so naturally I was a little iffy at first; can ATP really be absorbed orally, and if so how bio-available is it? Well I have yet to find any true 100% evidence either for or against it but the MT rep assures me it is bio-available.

Effectiveness-10/10
        First off I take this pre workout the way the rep suggested it to me and I will do the same if I were you. He told me straight up use two scoops and second to dry scoop it(basically putting the scoop right into the mouth and then adding some water an swallowing) it sucked to take it I won't even pretend it didn't. Ok with that all said once I got it down I must say DAMN this pre workout kicks some serious ass. The energy I got from this guy coupled with the endurance was honestly us there with three scoops of the OG Jack3d(never thought I'd say that). Hands down this is my favorite pre workout on the market right now.

Value-5/10
        Ok this is the problem with the product it is not cheap. I got a ton of it for free from the MT rep so for me clearly it's a huge win but for the normal person you're gonna be looking at around $60 per 50 scoops. GNC has it bogo 50% off so you could get 100 scoops for $90 but regardless of how you slice it you'll be looking at just under $2 a workout. Not to say that isn't worth it.

Overall-8.5/10
        Honestly if it wasn't for the high price this would be a 10 hands down. I would 100% recommend you guys try this at least once because it will blow your mind. Overall though it's an insane pre and maybe sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

August 9, 2014

With my job I get to use a ton of protein powders, this is one of them. I will start with saying I used the vanilla flavor which was actually pretty tasty, I'm normally a chocolate guy. I'll jump right into it.

Profile-6/10
        20g Protein
        1g Fat
        0g Sugar
        3g Carbs
        100mg Digestive Enzymes
        100% Protein Isolate Matrix
        Other Ingredients: Isolate Protein Blend (From Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate and Isolate-Grade Calcium Caseinate), Protein Synthesis & Recovery Blend (Taurine, Glycine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, L-Carnitine, L-Tartrate), Maltodextrin

Ok to start I do really ...

Profile-6/10
        20g Protein
        1g Fat
        0g Sugar
        3g Carbs
        100mg Digestive Enzymes
        100% Protein Isolate Matrix

Ok to start I do really like the idea of a pure isolate protein powder, however this mix milk protein with whey and casein, the two parts of milk protein. Since the amounts of each are not listed I cannot really say for sure but this protein would appear to be heavier on the time released side since milk protein is roughly 80% casein and 20% whey. This would make this a solid protein to use throughout the day. Now the bad news, sorry to say it again but this protein is probably amino spiked because of the "added" amino acids. Short and sweet amino spiking is when you add amino acids to a protein in order to boost the total amount of protein in the blend

Effectiveness-7/10
        I used this protein in the morning as well as mixing it with greek yogurt before bed and I did notice solid recovery but nothing insane or crazy as compared to a normal protein blend.

Price-7/10
        around $60 for 50 servings is not too bad when we're talking pure isolates but because this is a protein blend it's not really suited well for post workout unless you double up on the scoops which will obviously decrease the value.

Overall-7/10
        Despite being amino spiked I do like this protein to use with my breakfast and before bed since it is a mix of whey and casein. Taste is good and the value with the way I used it was good enough for me.

August 7, 2014

Okay I'm sure, or I at least hope, a lot of you have been reading up on amino spiking in protein powders. It's a topic that really has me heated because these companies we all love and treat have been LYING to our faces. I won't waste any time and just dive into it.

Profile-4/10(taken from BB.com)
        Sodium 160mg 7%
        Super Amino Strength Matrix
        Creatine Monohydrate 3g †
        L-Alanine 2g †
        (As L-Alanine, Whey Protein Isolate And Whey Protein Concentrate)
        Glycine 1g †
        (As Glycine, Whey Protein Isolate And Wh...

Profile-4/10(taken from BB.com)
        Sodium 160mg 7%
        Super Amino Strength Matrix
        Creatine Monohydrate 3g †
        L-Alanine 2g †
        (As L-Alanine, Whey Protein Isolate And Whey Protein Concentrate)
        Glycine 1g †
        (As Glycine, Whey Protein Isolate And Whey Protein Concentrate)
        Taurine 1g †
        Enzyplex
        Papain 50mg †
        Amylase 50mg †
        * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
        † Daily Value not established
        Other Ingredients:
        Whey Protein Isolate (Supplying Whey Protein Isolate And Hydrolyzed Protein Isolate), Protein And Amino Acid Matrix (Whey Protein Concentrate [Ultra-Filtered], L-Valine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Glutamine), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Cream-Filled Chocolate Cookie Pieces (Enriched Flour [Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid], High Oleic Canola Oil And/Or Palm Oil And/Or Canola Oil And/Or Soybean Oil, Alkalized Cocoa, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Starch, Leavening Agent [Baking Soda And/Or Calcium Phosphate], Salt, Gum Blend (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan), Soy Lecithin, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose.

Okay I'll start with the positives here; WPI as the main protein source is a good thing to see listed first. That's about all the good stuff I have to say here. I call them out right now, THIS PROTEIN IS AMINO SPIKED!!! What that means is that when they calculate how much protein is in a serving they calculate the nitrogen it gives off, however adding amino acids AND creatine, beta alanine, and things of that sorta will raise this number. So bottom line when they say 30g of protein that also includes the 3g of creatine, the L-Valine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Glutamine, L-Alanine, Glycine, and Taurine. So how much protein are we really getting here? I couldn't really tell you but it's going to be a lot less than 30g.

Effectiveness-6.5/10
        For me at least the creatine mono really hurt my stomach and honestly I didn't really notice anything insane in turns of extra recovery or anything along those lines.

Overall-5/10
        Mainly I was writing this review to shed some light on a very serious topic in the supplement world. I do like muscle tech as a company and I do think they have some very solid product, however this is not one of them. Being lied to by a company I've giving my hard earned money do is a slap in the face. There is no need for it, just list the real protein content of your protein and the separate amino acids. If there is only 15g of protein in there so be it at least we know what were getting.

August 6, 2014

• Tastes Great
        • Great For Recovery
        • Lists Everything On The Label
        • Enhances Strength
        • Wish It Would Last Longer
        Ok the popular post workout After Glow, what can I say? It really does have everything you should be looking for in a post work.

Profile-9/10
        20g of cold processed WPI also providing high glycemic carbs, pH buffered creatine, and anti oxidants. I would like to see a little bit more protein in here as well as a creatine HCl, I've personally have seen better results with this form. Other than that this is a very nice profile for a post workout. (sorry I couldn't post the exact profile but it seems biorhythm reformulated after glow)

Effectiveness-10/10
        I would use this post workout and eve...

Profile-9/10

Effectiveness-10/10
        I would use this post workout and even after the most intense leg days I would feel amazing. This stuff is the real deal and will really help you speed up recovery, increase strength, and help you build lean muscle mass.

Taste-10/10
        Normally I do not like to comment on taste because honestly unless it is undrinkable as long as it works I will take it. With that being said as an added bonus this stuff tastes amazing. Literally the best tasting post workout shake I've ever had.

Price-5/10
        Ok now for the huge downfall to this product, the price. I got this for $85 at a franchise GNC around my house. The only problem is I'm a bigger guy and the tub says I should be downing 3 scoops of this compared to the normal 2 scoops. So for me instead of getting 32 servings, which is still pricey, I only got about 21. Either way this product is super pricey.

Overall-7/10
        Honestly this product was amazing,I can't really speak to the new formula out there now but it does appear to be inferior judging by the profile, but the price was outrageous. It would be cheaper to just buy a good WPI, dextrose and a creatine product yourself.

August 5, 2014

Cons:
          Ok what can I say, far too many people do not understand why just a whey protein shake post workout IS NOT enough. Sure it helps recovery and protein syn but adding a high glycemic carb such as dextrose will aid in restoring muscle glycogen levels.

Profile-10/10
          Easiest profile I will ever have to do since the name of the product says it all, dextrose. That is literally all that is in this.

Profile-10/10

Effectiveness-10/10
          I personally use 20-30g of whey, 10g of casein and 30g of dextrose as my postworkout shake and it does help a lot with recovery. I will a lot better the next day and see solid strength gains in the gym. Also this is a great product to add to a creatine since creatine needs insulin to be present to be absorbed.

Value-10/10
          Paid about $20 for 10lbs which is roughly 2500g of dextrose overall.

Overall-10/10
          The price is unbeatable and this is honestly just as important as protein in a post workout shake. Sorry for the short review but there really is not much to say since it is a very simple product which plays a huge role in muscle recovery.

July 28, 2014

Cons:
          Ok first off I would like to thank my Muscletech rep for the free bottle of this to try. With that being said I'll jump right into and also for those who do not know Iovate makes both muscle tech and epiq.

Profile(taken from GNC.com)-8/10
          Creatine HCl 1500mg Beta-alanine (as CarnoSyn®) 1000mg **
          Pump Forcer 1210.00 mg 0%
          Taurine Quercetin Beet Root Powder (as Beta vulgaris) Supplying nitrates Grape Seed Extract (as Vitis Vinifera) **
          Supplying Resveratrol Agmatine Sulfate **
          Energy Boosting Blend 340.00 mg 0%
          Caffeine Anhydrous (137-trimethylxanthine) Supplying 190 mg Caffeine N-ac...

Profile(taken from GNC.com)-8/10
          Creatine HCl 1500mg Beta-alanine (as CarnoSyn®) 1000mg **
          Pump Forcer 1210.00 mg 0%
          Supplying Resveratrol Agmatine Sulfate **
          Energy Boosting Blend 340.00 mg 0%
          Caffeine Anhydrous (137-trimethylxanthine) Supplying 190 mg Caffeine N-acetyl L-tyrosine

One thing I really enjoy about this pre workout is the superior Ceatine HCl, basically con crete for those familiar with that product, and the actually correct dosing of it(750mg per 100lbs)
          Beet root powder, grape seed and agmatine sulfate will the supply the pumps and it takes a solid job of doing so in my opinion.
          Caffeine and tyrosine will supply the energy and do the job well.

Effectiveness-8/10
          Solid pre workout, a step up from c4 from what I have seen. I really like this for those who are looking to lean bulk or cut since the creatine HCl will not lead to water retention like the cheaper mono form.

Taste-5.5/10
          Ok I will not lie this does not taste the best, but then again it is a pre workout; mix it and slug it, you will live.

Price-10/10
          40 servings for around $45 at GNC and it is always either BOGO 50% or buy 2 get 1 free. For me one scoop got the job done and considering this is a pre workout AND a creatine HCl product all in one I would say it is a great deal.

Overall-8/10
          The value is awesome and this is without a doubt something worth trying if you are looking for something stronger than c4. I enjoy the proper dosing of Creatine HCl as well as seeing other things for pump besides arginine, which is mostly broken down by the liver before you can absorb it. All in all this product is an above average pre workout that I would recommend trying out.

July 26, 2014

Ok where to start with this one. It is without a doubt one of the most known pre workouts on the market right now, but does that really make it the best? Lets start the overall breakdown of ingredients first.

Profile(taken from BB.com)-6.5/10
          Beta Alanine 1,500mg "
          Creatine Nitrate 1,000mg "
          Arginine AKG 1,000mg "
          Explosive Energy Blend 741mg "

Profile(taken from BB.com)-6.5/10
          Beta Alanine 1,500mg "
          Creatine Nitrate 1,000mg "
          Arginine AKG 1,000mg "
          Explosive Energy Blend 741mg "
          Vitamin C (As Ascorbic Acid, N Acetyl-L-Tyrosine, Caffeine Anhydrous (135mg), Mucuna Pruriens, (Standardized For L-Dopa), Bitter Orange (Citrus Aurantium)(Fruit), (30% Synephrine), (Advantra Z®), Niacinamide, Folate (As Folic Acid ) , Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate, Vitamin B12 (As Methylcobalamin )

Ok Beta Alanine is very popular in pre workouts now a days as it should be, it does help simulate nerves as well as giving you those sweet tingles. 1.5g is an alright amount but usually you do want to go north of 2g here. Creatine nitrate is a newer form of creatine which is fine since it does not upset the stomach and will help with cellular energy. Arginine, oh arginine you would be so awesome if only the liver didn't breakdown about 70-80% of you before being absorbed. If you want a sick pump look for something like citruline since it bypasses the liver and leads to greater arginine production in the body. As for the famous blend, alright amount of caffeine(135g), niacinamide to help with blood vessel tone and mucuna pruriens to help with some focus.

Results-7/10
          Here is the thing with c4, if you take the 2 scoop dose then you actually get a pretty good pre workout out of this, minus the pump. The focus is nice and the energy levels stay up most of the time.

Value-7/10
          If you take my recommendation of doing the 2 scoops you are looking at about $2 a serving which is not too bad but could be better.

Overall-7/10
          Pretty typical pre workout blend here with beta alanine, arginine, and caffeine but nothing super special. The 30 serving, or 15 serving if you are doubling up and you really should be if you want to get clinically dosed levels of most of the ingredients makes the $30 price point a tad on the high side. Overall I would say this is a very average pre working.