basicaaron

Try Requests

MVRs

TROOPer Level

*Rookie League

*Rookie League = only among other members in their first year on SR. basicaaron will be eligible for rookie league trophies for another 121 days.

Reviews by basicaaron

April 29, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Better Than An Energy Drink
  • Smooth Energy
  • Tastes Great
  • Prop Blend
  • Not Enough For A True Pre Workout

I used to be a energy drink junkie--my favorite brand was Rockstar. They have a way with flavors that is simply unparalleled. That being said, I don't drink them anymore. Still crave, but don't drink. However, Bang has become my guilty pleasure "energy drink" that I'll allow myself to indulge on occasion.

This is hard, considering that the Bang RTD have a proprietary blend listed in the ingredients section of each can. But if you look carefully, you'll find BCAAs, CoQ10, Vitamins B6&12, and "Super Creatine" (creatine bonded to leucine). And oh yes, CAFFEINE, baby.

I looked into their powder-form pre-workout to see if I could get some sort of comparison profile-wise. Unfortunately, trying to convert mg to mL takes a whole lot of math and density research so I didn't do that. But I think it's somewhat safe to assume that 1 can of RTD Bang may be the equivalent of what we could find in a scoop of Bang pre-workout (that's being too generous, probably). So what do we have to look forward to?

POTENTIALLY a 3:3:1 dose of BCAAs, which is pretty good. 7.5g of BCAAs? I'll take that.

POTENTIALLY 250mg of Super Creatine. The point of creatine bonded to leucine is to help it pass the blood-brain barrier, making it a supplement targeted more to the brain that to the muscles. But hey, your brain behaves as a muscle. So there.

POTENTIALLY 100mg of CoQ10. Okay, so this doesn't come from their pre-workout; this is just a guess. That much would be nice. 300mg would be better. If that's the case, Bang is looking more like a real pre-workout RTD than just a fancy better-for-you energy drink.

ACTUALLY 300mg of caffeine. That's from the can.

So, good news here: it's a RTD. So your mixing and dosing is taken care of. As well as being super-injected with freaking BUBBLES!

The best part about Bang is the taste. The taste will have you soaring above the clouds as your sipping takes you mentally to an island of paradise, gently rocking in a hammock and being fanned with palm branches. Yeah, it's that good. The Black Cherry Vanilla is basically cherry vanilla coke. Except much better for you. And not coke.

So, with 300mg of caffeine, you will feel this. And with no sugar, you won't feel the crappiness that often accompanies other energy drinks (the shakes, the crash, the regret and self-loathing). I tried this before a couple workouts and it gave me good energy and focus. Didn't see any pump or strength improvements, but I did have good focus, and I'm not stim sensitive at all. That being said, I think this would be a great drink for activities other than working out. It is really great for helping you focus or giving an afternoon pick-up without a crash. I really appreciate that. I enjoy staying up late occasionally doing nerdy things that use the brain, and I love Bang for those activities; it really helps me focus. So if you need help concentrating while studying, pick up some Bang! If you wanna stay up late and play COD, drink a Bang instead of a Monster or Mountain Dew. And if you need to be on your game as the Dungeon Master for a riveting Dungeons and Dragons campaign, this drink is for you, whoever you are!

As to the effects Creatine has on the brain, check out this neat article from Psychology Today (https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201202/your-brain-creatine). I like the science behind having creatine-leucine pass the blood-brain barrier, especially when accompanied by CoQ10 and caffeine.

You can find a 12 pack online for about $22, which is cheaper than you'll find at a gas station or GNC. On average, expect to pay about $2-2.50 for a single can. That's cheaper than most energy drinks. A bit expensive if you want this as your pre-workout, though.

Side Effects

Maybe a bit of jitters if you have high sensitivity to caffeine, otherwise none.

Conclusion

I recommend Bang to any of my friends who still are addicted to energy drinks. It's a safer, healthier option. Plus, it tastes amazing. If you are craving a soda, just skip the HFC (or even the diet junk) and go grab a Bang if you can!

April 28, 2017

• Strength Gains
  • Great Recovery
  • Great Formula
  • High Quality Ingredient Sources
  • Not Enough Protein
  • Need Profile Updating

I remember when Torrent first came out I though, "Geez, what DOESN'T this have in it?" But it was hyped up a lot by Universal so I spent the $35 or so on it to try it out. That container emptied way too fast and I was super disappointed about that. Unfortunately, because of the price Torrent hasn't become my staple and I think that's been the greatest detriment to this product taking off as much as it could have.

Torrent is geared to be the end-all of post-workout supplements with essentially five parts: protein, carbs, leucine, aminos, and creatine.

To begin, Torrent uses 20g of whey protein hydrolysate. Hydrolysate is shown to be quicker absorbing and digest faster than whey isolate and the process to make whey hydrolysate makes the price go up, just like whey isolate is more expensive than whey concentrate. I'd be curious to know the true difference between isolate and hydrolysate for digestion--does it justify the price? Because if not, Universal spent a lot of money to fix flavoring for Torrent (WPH is slightly bitter because of the heating process) as well as including WPH. In my opinion, if they stuck with isolate in their formula, it may have helped with overall price.

Next is carbs: Torrent has 52g of carbs per serving and uses part of that as waxy maize starch for quick uptake and delivery. I'm a fan of WMS, but in a 52g carb profile, when half of that is sugar (d-glucose) and an unidentified amount is the somewhat controversial maltodextrin.

The first of Torrent's "big three" proprietary blends is Leucine. With 8g of four different leucines, this is probably my favorite part of Torrent. Universal rightly recognizes this BCAA powerhouse and gives an excellent dose to maximize protein synthesis.

The next proprietary blend is the amino blend and has to be the one that disappoints me the most. With 7g of four aminos and unable to tell how much of each, it leaves something to be desired. Since Taurine is listed first, it has the greatest amount to contribute to the blend, which is good news to me, since Taurine has been shown to have a wide range of benefits for muscle recovery. But right after Taurine is glutamine akg, and you're probably aware of the controversy surrounding glutamine (in that it ends up being better for gut health than muscle wasting). L-Phenylalanine and citrulline malate are also included in the blend. If it were up to me, I'd kick the glutamine and L-Phenylalanine, stick CM underneath Taurine and add betaine. But I don't work for Universal.

Last in their lineup is a creatine blend: 3g of mono, mcc, and gluconate. I'm not as familiar with gluconate, but the science behind it seems like a great idea. I also have no beef with the 3g dosing. Studies lately seem to be showing that this is pretty sufficient--and you skip the bloat. (For help with dosing, check out a helpful calculator here: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/likness2.htm and scroll to where it talks about calculating lean mass for your g per lb.)

Cherry Berry Blast was the original flavor and it's still my favorite to this day. Green apple is pretty good too, but takes a bit to get used to. Universal is having to mask some odd tastes to help with this product, but in the end I think they do a great job. I hated that you were only supposed to drink this on training days because it was so dang tasty.

Make sure when you mix it you give yourself plenty of space and a bit more water than it calls for. Foams up pretty good.

Universal emphasizes the importance of consuming Torrent within 15 minutes of completing a workout to maximize the nutrients to the muscles, so that's what I did. And it DOES work. I noticed that my recovery time sped up significantly. I also wasn't as sore the following day, which enabled me to continue pushing myself to lifting heavier and heavier weights. If you're going for a steady increase in volume, this definitely helps. In my opinion, this is one of the more effective PWO for strength and recovery gains. Being motivated to push harder not from a pre-workout, but because you know your post-workout supplement is going to do its job is a very good thing. When I wasn't using Torrent (as I'm not now) I notice a difference in recovery. I use different parts of what make up Torrent (like CM, creatine, Leucine, Taurine, protein, etc,.) but it's definitely not the same.

Here's where I get hung up. Torrent will cost you ~$2.30 per serving, depending where you buy it. And you'll only get 15 servings. Now, Universal does this because Torrent is strictly for post-training. But if you workout 4-5 times a week (like I do), this isn't going to last you a month, so you'd end up going with their 28 serving, $60 option. That's a bit steep, especially if you're getting this each month. Universal tries to justify this by saying it takes the place of your PWO protein and other supplements you'd buy, but I think that's a hard thing to convince people of. True, your body is an investment. But this is a high price-point to convince consumers to justify. I think 20 servings for $35 is much more doable and you're getting an average gym-goer's month's worth.

Side Effects

None, really. Maybe a bit of gas in the beginning, but I was fine after a few servings.

Conclusion

I feel that Torrent still is one of the top post-workout supplements on the market, even if I would make changes to its profile and price. If you want to see some great recovery aid and have the money to spend, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this. But if you're on an incredibly tight budget, like I and many others are, give this a shot when you can but you probably won't be able to make this great supplement a regular go-to.

April 17, 2017

• Increased Strength
  • Helps Build Muscle
  • No Side Effects
  • Extremely Clumpy
  • Only One Good Flavor

I've used tons of different creatine products--everything from Cellmass to straight CEE (blech). While Storm isn't the best of the best, it's a good and cost-efficient alternative.

Storm uses two proprietary blends: 5g of creatines and 3.75g of N.O.boosters / insulin potentiators. The creatine blend is made up of 4 creatine types: monohydrate, magnesium chelate, dicreatine and tricreatine malate. That may be confusing at first (why all the creatines???) but all it is is creatine bonded differently for different uptake. My biggest issue here is you don't really know how much of each you're getting. So, it could be 4g of monohydrate and trace amounts of the other three. That leaves it to effectiveness (see later) to determine how great of a blend this is.

The N.O. / insulin blend is your pretty standard package of N.O. fun, like arginine, CM, taurine, etc,. The insulin potentiators are there to help spike insulin for the purpose of dilating the blood vessels for increased blood flow (and aid in the transportation of the creatine blend).

Grape is definitely the best tasting of the three available flavors (the others being the standard Fruit Punch and Blue Raspberry). That being said, it's not an amazing taste and gets old after a while. Fortunately, there isn't really a retch-factor with this, MUCH unlike the pre-workout companion, Shock Therapy.

Storm mixes fairly well. There is clumping, but if you keep it in a shaker bottle you'll be fine.

A hang-up some may have with this is the dosing. Since it's hard to tell how much of each ingredient you're getting (speaking to the N.O. prop blend), it seems that two servings will be the norm. (Maybe even three: two before and one after). In a world of convenience, that can get frustrating, especially if you're a supplement junkie stacking multiple products. For myself, I'd either make Storm my stim-free (or add in caffeine caps) pre-wo and post recovery, or have it on hand for some added recovery to what I'm already using.

The big question: does it work? I believe it does. While I personally feel you can go overboard with how many different types of more-or-less the same ingredient you use, Storm is attempting to be efficient. By taking more than one route, I think it's a good idea. And I definitely saw pretty typical strength gains accompanied by a good recovery. I felt this product was the most effective (for me) when double-dosed pre-workout (with or without stims added). I saw a good pump and always felt like I could crush my next set. Especially if your water intake is up to par, I think you'll find yourself making some good strength gains with this. And even though this isn't a pre-workout, I got some nice vein eye-candy poppage.

Right now, you can find an 80 serving tub of Storm for about $30. That's a crazy good deal (~$0.40/serving). Even if you double up (which I do), that's still 40 servings. For more than a month's worth for a pretty decent profile, it's a steal. I added it as my creatine staple (that was about 6 years ago) and still will get at least two tubs a year.

Side Effects

If you haven't supplemented with creatine in a while, you'll definitely feel some bloating. Just increase your water intake and it should resolve itself. That's what I did and any bloating went away pretty quickly.

Conclusion

Storm has been around for a while, and doesn't get much attention anymore. But that doesn't keep it from being a solid creatine supplement. If I were to see any changes (dubious that would happen!), it would be to drop the creatine profile to two, bump up the N.O., and just sell it as a 40 serving product. Oh, and make the taste a smidge better.

April 17, 2017

• No Digestive Issues
  • Low Calorie
  • Good Protein Blend
  • A Tad Pricey
  • Needs More Flavors

Protein can sometimes be hard to judge. I mean, it's protein, right? Isn't it all basically the same? Well, yes and no. There are differences with each protein product, besides taste. Some are subtle; some are huge. Modern Protein stands out, not as the best, but definitely as an excellent option.

Modern Protein takes a blended approach, using three isolates (milk, whey and whey hydroslysate), whey concentrate, and micellar casein. The goal behind this is to have a true "anytime" protein powder.

Okay, here i...

Okay, here it goes. Modern Protein tastes FREAKING AMAZING. No joke. You know how sometimes protein clumps on your spoon or fork and you don't lick it off because you know if you do it'll ruin the whole experience? Not so with this. I had some clumping on my fork with vanilla and it was like eating cake batter. I almost redid my post workout so I could just eat clumpy protein. When does that ever happen?? And with vanilla?!

Mixes super well. I usually mix my protein in a glass, which does clump a little bit (but this time did not bother me one bit). In a shaker, you're good to go.

Modern currently comes in four flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry, and Chocolate Carmel Cookie Stix (aka, Twix). They're all amazing. My favorite is either Twix or Vanilla.

I really liked this protein. I didn't see too much of a difference than using regular protein, except that I stayed much leaner. There also wasn't any bloating or GI issues, which says a lot about quality. With low calorie servings and an "anytime" approach, this really helped me when I was trying to lose weight/fat but also get in some good protein (along with my lean meats).

When I buy protein, I like to look at two things: how many grams a scoop is and how many grams of protein are in that scoop. For example, BSN Syntha-6 offers 22g of protein per scoop (47.2g). That means that less than half of what's in your scoop is protein. The rest, in this instance with S6, is carbs (14g), fat (6g) and fillers (5.2g). At 200 calories per serving, that's a bit much for me making it not something I'd like to use on a regular basis (and BSN protein tastes amazing).

Modern protein contains 25 servings of 23g of delicious protein, with each serving being 34.5g. Broken down, that leaves 2g for carbs, 3.5g for fat, and 6g for fillers (flavoring, etc,.). While that's not the greatest, at 130 calories per serving (for vanilla), I can live with that.

$30 is pretty typical of this type of protein and for that many servings, maybe slightly on the high end (that price is from USP Labs direct). However, I know USP will often run some sweet deals on their products and you can usually find you can tack on some protein for an extra $20. That's not a bad deal at all.

Side Effects

None!

Conclusion

While it may be a tad on the high side, this is a good protein. Not just the taste, but also the formula and profile. If you're looking for a protein to take not just post-workout, but as an afternoon supplement or before bed, Modern Protein may just be your next great choice.

April 14, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Focus
  • Extreme Mental And Physical Activity
  • Some Strength Gain
  • Pretty Solid Ingredients
  • Jittery Before And After
  • Proprietary Blend
  • Crash
  • Loss Of Appetite
  • Tolerance Build Up
----Introduction---
Mesomorph certainly gets a lot of hype, and APS has done a great job marketing it (with funny videos and even clear containers with multicolored powder). I bought Mesomorph at a local nutrition store in my town--wanted Rocket Pop but settled for Tutti Frutti. Was told that flavor was just as good. I've had some experience with Hi-Tech owned companies, but Mesomorph was my first impression of APS.

----Introduction---

Now, Mesomorph has a solid ingredient profile. It contains three proprietary blends (N.O., ATP, and energy), which isn't a huge deal. However, with no way of knowing how much of each ingredient is in the profile, I'm somewhat dubious of how well-dosed this product is. For instance, the nitric oxide complex has some great ingredients: beta alanine, l-citrulline DL-malate (2:1), and AAKG. and totals 6.5g, letting me assume that it's going to be pretty decent. But like any product that doesn't use a patented ingredient (e.g., CarnoSyn), I don't know the quality of the beta alanine they're using. (I've used products that advertised 2.5g of BA and felt nothing, and others with 600mg of BA and felt a nice BA tingle.) According to some APS reps (https://blog.priceplow.com/supplement-news/aps-mesomorph), Meso contains 3.2g of BA (the clinical dose), which doesn't leave much room for clinical doses of l-citrulline dl-malate or AAKG. I don't want to split hairs over a prop blend--it's just nice to know how much of what ingredient you're putting into your body. As they say, "Honesty is the best policy."

Energy-wise you can choose either DMAA or non-DMAA (as of 2017). I used Mesomorph with DMAA and holy cow, does it give you a swift kick in the pants. With all the controversy surrounding Hi-Tech's DMAA lawsuit with the FDA, they may end up dropping DMAA in future Mesomorph products and possibly replacing with the similar but less-effective DMHA. That being said, Meso does contain 300mg of caffeine and a pretty high dose of DMAA at 65mg.

The worst part about Mesomorph for me was the taste. Now, Meso comes in plenty of flavors, the most popular and probably best-tasting being Rocket Pop. I'm not sure what they were doing with Tutti Frutti, but it definitely had a gag-factor that straight up ruined my experience with Meso. Having to choke down a pre-workout is not fun. Other than that, it mixes easily and well.

Mesomorph does come in a pretty great variety of flavors:
-Tropical Punch
-Grape
-Pineapple
-Rocket Pop
-Watermelon
-Pink Lemonade
-Tutti Frutti

So there are options. But compared to the energy and pump I get from, say, HyperMax XT (Performax Labs) or Reckless (MHP) and I had to decide based on taste, I'd go with them instead of Meso.

Even though the taste wasn't great, it was very effective. Plenty of energy for the gym along with some good strength gains on bench and squats. Decent pump as well--not amazing, but it was definitely there. And I got BA tingles all over, so if you're into that you'll be pretty happy.

25 servings at $30-35 isn't too bad, especially if you find a BOGO deal. But it can get kind of expensive and frankly the taste turned me off to the whole "Mesomorph Experience."

Side Effects

A warning: if you're super sensitive to stims, I'd suggest going DMAA-free, or starting of with 1/4 or 1/2 scoop. That energy can be brutal and often comes with a killer crash. Also, empty stomach first thing in the morning is not the best idea. Eat a banana first. Otherwise, you may be spending the first 15 minutes of your workout in the bathroom, accompanied by the clench of shame.

Conclusion

While it does live up to the effects part of the hype, a poor flavored pre-workout can leave you with a bad taste for the product. Unless the price comes down, or it goes on sale, I'd wait to go with Mesomorph again. There's also a chance the ingredient profile will change slightly, depending on the outcome of the legal battle, so we'll see. Maybe APS will upgrade some of the poorer tasting flavors. If that happens, I'd get it again.

Overall
Overall
9.1
  April 13, 2017

• B Vitamins
  • Premium Bcaa
  • Citrulline Malate
  • Electrolyte Blend
  • Fast Recovery
  • Under-Dosed Citrulline Malate

I found out about SR through Google (I was trying to get more information on a 1-DHEA product). I really, really enjoy trying new supplements and a couple friends and I go back-and-forth on our favorites. I was prompted to write this review because I'm consistently blown away by how great a BCAA profile XTEND is (and hopefully keep it as a key core supplement even though Scivation just was bought out by NutraBolt). My fitness goals right now are: gain strength, lose fat, improve physique--Xtend is a core part of my diet to attain these goals.

...

With Xtend, you get a nice blend of 7g of BCAAs--Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine--(in a 2:1:1 ratio), along with glutamine, citrulline malate, and electrolytes.

Since the three BCAAs make up approximately 1/3 of muscle protein, it's important to utilize their ability to stimulate insulin production in order to increase energy and repair muscle tissue. At 7g per serving, you're getting exactly what you need to capitalize on their restorative properties (You can learn more about the importance of BCAAs here: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bcaa2.htm).

Along with BCAAs, Xtend has 2.5g of glutamine. Glutamine is important to muscle growth and recovery, since muscle wasting can occur when the body uses more glutamine than produced. And, since glutamine is the main transporter of nitrogen to the muscles, pairing it with BCAAs are key to maintaining a healthy nitrogen balance.

While Xtend does include Citrulline Malate, it doesn't include a particularly high dose (at only 1g). However, I prefer CM over L-Citrulline, since the malate bonding gives citrulline the additional benefit of increased energy alongside its blood-to-muscle transport. If NutraBolt (Scivation's new owner) changes anything about Xtend, it could be upping the CM from 1g to 2.5 or 3g.

Blue Raspberry is probably my favorite of the flavors, but they're all good. Scivation seems to have gone out of the way to not only make a product, but also make it enjoyable. Xtend mixes fast and well, so you don't have to worry about any clumping.

I always notice a difference in recovery when I use BCAAs than when I don't, for obvious reasons (see BCAA article above). My muscles are fuller during workouts and my recovery is faster (not crazy fast, but better than without; enough to keep up a consistent heavy-lifting schedule).

It's a great bang-for-your-buck; you'll end up spending between $25-30 which comes to just about $1/serving. That's very fair--you're getting 30 servings of 7g (2:1:1 ratio) of BCAAs, plus the added benefits of glutamine, CM, and electrolytes! On training days, I'll drink one serving during my workout. On non-training days, I'll sip on it throughout the afternoon. I've also occasionally mixed a scoop with some plain greek yogurt before bed, which tastes amazing.

Side Effects

None, except satisfaction!

Conclusion

If you're looking for some extra recovery BCAAs and/or something to fuel your muscles during a workout, look no further than Xtend. If you shop around, you might find some good deals on it, too. Great profile; great taste; doesn't get any better than that.

April 12, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Liver Support
  • Nice Dosing
  • Great Profile
  • Antioxidants
  • Estrogen Suppression
  • Testosterone Support
  • Lots Of Capsules
  • Could Add Milk Thistle
  • Dose Arimistane Higher
I used SUP3R PCT after running some 1-DHEA and I am very glad I did. Olympus has done a superb job with this fairly-priced and well-dosed PCT.

Listen to how Olympus Labs describes their product:
"No more needing to purchase multiple products to be stacked together. With SUP3R PCT, we've made it simple and easy to protect your gains, and bring your libido and hormone levels back to where they need to be. This process of restoring homeostasis is critical to achieve rapidly after your cycle, to ensure that suppression is minimized and that all of that hard work was not wasted!"

Now, you may...

Listen to how Olympus Labs describes their product:

Now, you may be wondering, "How does SUP3R compare to other PCTs?" Seeing the huge list on the back might be a turn-off for you, but this isn't a shotgun profile. By not using a proprietary blend, OL is open and honest about what you'll be getting for your PCT, which is definitely something you want. This includes a nice dosing of trans-resveratrol, DAA, NAC, and arimistane (androsta-3 5-diene-7 17-dione). Compare this to, say, Primeval Labs' Mega PCT V2: while Mega PCT might provide a bit higher dose of arimistane and has high doses of tribulus, saw palmetto and tongkat, it doesn't include much by way of liver support. SUP3R, on the other hand, matches Mega PCT pretty closely by way of testosterone support, matching Mega PCT's test boosters with boosters of its own in highly dosed fadogia and bulbine, and includes sodium d-aspartic acid to aid in testosterone synthesis. Another good competitor to this PCT would be Finaflex's Revolution Black, which could give SUP3R a decent run for its money.

After coming off of a super mild 1-DHEA cycle, I was afraid of the small possibility of suppression, lethargy, or losing gains. But I didn't face any of that with SUP3R. I felt good coming off of my cycle, didn't suffer any strength losses, and felt wonderful libido-wise. SUP3R gives you heart support with trans-resveratrol, as well as good liver support with NAC. Probably the best thing about SUP3R is Olympus Lab's inclusion of a rightly-dosed androsta-3 5-diene-7 17-dione (which is an aromatase inhibitor)--this keeps your body from an over-production of estrogen, which tends to happen coming off a cycle that was causing the production of a lot of testosterone. It helps bring your body back to the necessary balance of both, without the crappy physical side effects and strength losses.

The biggest downside, in my opinion, is how many gel caps you'll have to take per serving. At ten, it can get a bit tedious, but they go down quickly and are tasteless. And maybe up the arimistane dose from 75mg to 100mg and include some milk thistle.

For a full month's PCT at great or better doses, this is well worth the price of $35. Plus, the bottle looks pretty cool. You'll end up paying close to the same price for a standalone aromatase inhibitor anyway, which makes this all the better.

However great a PCT may be, you should always keep an eye on yourself depending on what kind of cycle you're coming off of. For very highly dosed 1,4-DHEA cycles or not-so-mild prohormones, I would use this as a supplement to your SERM. I used an average dosing of 1-DHEA, saw some good gains, and decided (after much research) that just using SUP3R PCT was sufficient for me. It proved to be just that.

This is by far, in my opinion, the best PCT out there. It has everything you could want in a PCT, is fairly priced and evenly dosed. The nice thing about this product is, it doesn't have to be only for PCT--you can use it as a standalone muscle builder / hardener. If you're looking for a quality PCT, give SUP3R a shot.