andrew17019

• Member has been active for 9 years, and was last online 2 months ago

Reviews by andrew17019

September 23, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Diuretic
  • Great Thermogenic Effect
  • Needs An Appetite Suppressant
  • Potential For Dehydration

This only works as hard as you do: caloric deficit = weight loss. How you manage that caloric deficit is up to you, Shred Sport can assist you in maximizing the weight loss and give you the energy you need to meet your goals. I lost and kept off 10 lbs with 60 days of Shred Sport.

A little bit of background so you can understand the effectiveness of this product:

I spent about 8 months unable to work out due to time, available facilities, and recovering from an injury, which led to me gaining around 15 lbs over the course of a year. I moved and changed jobs, which now allowed me to hit the gym as I needed. I started my workouts slowly, without using any "fat burner" supplements until I got up to full-swing. Once I was at full-swing I introduced Shred Sport.

My regular daily workout routine while I took Shred Sport was 5 days a week:
-10 minute row warmup.
-10 minute treadmill run: 1 mile at 75% pace, cool down.
-45 minutes of lifting targeted free-weights
-45 minutes of lap swimming (freestyle) indoor pool at a sub-2:00 pace.

I incorporated 2 rest days into my weekly schedule. Every other week I would drop one gym day for a long-distance run (over six miles) at a slow pace (8-10 min/mi).

My diet was around 1500 baseline, adjusted for caloric expenditure based on the actual times recorded in the gym. This usually led to me consuming between 2300-2700 calories, depending on the day. I eat an intermittent fast diet with a very small consumption window. I used a Garmin 935 to track all of my gym times, laps, steps, etc.

Now on to the actual review!

I started taking the original Shred Matrix eight years ago, and it morphed to a proprietary blend, which was one of the biggest complaints. The new Shred Sport has more disclosure on the label (screenshot of the ingredient profile is attached), but it relies primarily on the 200mg/serving caffeine base. The 100 mg of dandelion root extract gives this a pretty significant diuretic and water-shedding boost, while the 125 mg "Capsimax" formula incorporates the thermogenic benefits of capsicum extracts. This also has 500mg of L-Carnitine, which is the usual recommended dosage of L-Carnitine.

I started taking Shred Sport as one capsule a day - just to make sure that I didn't overstim too soon, since I was planning on using two bottles back to back (two 30 day bottles). A single capsule in the morning was not overkill and not more noticeable than a few cups of coffee. I started taking one capsule first thing in the morning, and then another before my workout. I changed it up after a week by taking both capsules first thing in the morning, and this seemed to have the best effect. If you are sensitive to stims I would suggest starting off with a single capsule, or half dosing throughout the day.

Capsules are tasteless, and there was thankfully no residual flavor. With the "Capsimax" formula I was happy to note that there was no peppery burping, which I've had from some other thermogenics in the past.

Bottom-line-up-front: I lost and kept off 10 lbs over 60 days using this. I've attached a screenshot of my weekly weight averages over 90 days. For 60 of those days I used Shred Sport, and then I kept tracking for 30 more days to see how much I would rebound.
Initially I could feel a massive stim boost. I had energy for days, which made longer endurance sessions much more manageable. I also felt the diuretic effects, though, which led to me becoming severely dehydrated during a few of those endurance sessions. If you are planning on doing any kind of long-duration exercise (60+ minutes) you must have enough water and electrolytes ready to go while taking this or else you will suffer the effects of dehydration. I noticed I was sweating significantly more than usual. I am naturally sweaty, and this became almost unbearable to the point of embarrassment outside of the gym. There were sweatstains in all kinds of places that I had not had sweatstains before. That's your word of warning!

Because of the water-weight loss I actually lost 16-20 lbs, but once I stopped taking Shred Sport and my body readjusted I had a consistent loss of 10 lbs from the start of the usage. I didn't feel any significant appetite suppressant during this time, but I did have a lot of focus, energy, and sweat. Did I mention how sweaty this product made me?

The energy boost I got from this was amazing and definitely helped me meet my daily goals. I have mixed feelings about the diuretic properties since they don't tend to do anything in the long run, but the thermogenic effect was real. With consistent calorie tracking, consistent working out, and consistent use of Shred Sport I met my short-term goal of dropping 10 lbs over 60 days. This is a modest goal, and I could have done this without Shred Sport over the same amount of time, but it didn't feel like a challenge while using Shred. In fact I would say that this was probably the easiest 10 lb drop that I've ever done, I just had the energy and motivation every day to do what I needed to do.

I used two bottles over 60 days. Each bottle is dosed for 30 days, with two capsules a day. If you are stim sensitive it will last longer, but I only spent a week on reduced dosage before going to the recommended. I found this on Amazon for $33.99 for a two-pack, which is not a bad deal and relatively affordable when spread out over 60 days.

Side Effects

-Sweat. Lots of sweat.
-Stim focus and tunnel vision.
-Dehydration (if not managed properly).
-Stomach issues and diarrhea (if you are stim sensitive).

Conclusion

I do not lose weight easily, even on a significant caloric deficit. Shred Sport helped me to meet my 60 day goals, as long as I put in the effort and discipline. You can lose weight without any supplements, but I used Shred Sport and it made the weight loss that much easier. Shred Sport will cause significant amounts of water-weight loss, which can provide a false sense of accomplishment in the short-term, but over the long term if does provide a small boost to a regular reduced calorie diet.

Would I recommend Shred Sport? If you are dead set on using a thermogenic supplement, yes. This one worked and gave me what I wanted with a very clean stim-boost. If you think that a supplement alone is going to make you lose weight, then no. Do not take this if you are not willing to be consistent with your diet or exercise.

8.9
  November 22, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Helps Recovery
  • Very Effective For Sleep
  • Deep Sleep
    After a stressful day or drinking too much caffeine or PWO I often have trouble getting a good full night of sleep. ZMA in some form has always been my first go-to, along with melatonin to knock me out and get the recovery I need.

ZMA is Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6. This is a standard formula, dosage for this Optimum product is:
    Zinc: 30 mg
    Magnesium: 450 mg
    B6: 10.5 mg

Zinc: 30 mg
    Magnesium: 450 mg
    B6: 10.5 mg

This is roughly the same ratio as many other ZMA products, although some have B6 slightly higher, and some have B6 as folic acid as well. I prefer the simpler formula from Optimum, since their no-frills minimum filler style is what I value about most of their products.

3 capsules of medium size. Not massive, no aftertaste, easily washed down in a single swallow. I purchase the 180 capsule bottle to last me two months, give or take. I find that my tolerance for ZMA increases every few weeks, so I typically don't use it during the weekends to prevent building up too high a tolerance.

I've taken other ZMA blends before that put me into good REM sleep, but had me waking up multiple times during the night and waking up groggy. This bare-bones mix puts me into deep sleep and I definitely have better recovery due to the better sleep, without waking up multiple times or waking up in a funk.

Using this product regularly has helped me build mass and decreases my recovery times. It also helps after a break in lifting to decrease DOMS when starting back up. If I ever take more than a few weeks off of lifting I incorporate ZMA immediately into my regimen to lessen soreness when I start back up. This has worked for me every time.

I dont find that ZMA causes a significant test boost, although REM sleep can help with that. I'd recommend a dedicated test booster in addition to ZMA if you are looking for test.

I find that this ZMA doesn't make me immediately sleepy, but once I fall asleep I will be in deep REM until my alarm goes off in the morning. If you have trouble staying asleep, this is a good option for you.

This runs for $20 online for the 180 count bottle. While this isn't bad at all, if you are looking for JUST a sleep aid, melatonin costs less than half. If you are looking for increased recovery and better REM sleep, then ZMA fits the bill. I've found off brand for a little cheaper, but I trust ON enough to pay a few dollars more.

Side Effects

This is one of the few ZMA products I've tried that didn't leave me with any noticeable side effects. Other blends I've used either caused me to sweat, wake up throughout the night, have nightmares or disturbing dreams, or experience heavy grogginess for the first few hours after waking up. Optimum's ZMA doesn't cause any of those effects for me, making it easily my ZMA of choice.

Conclusion

Optimum has a lot of solid products, and this ZMA is no different. I recommend taking melatonin to fall asleep and ZMA to stay asleep and get that good recovery REM. Because this ZMA doesn't give me any weird side effects I'd definitely recommend it over many of the other proprietary blends sleep/recovery products that are on the market.

August 27, 2014

• Fast Recovery
    • 2 Scoops Is A Bit Much
    • Bit Pricey
    This is my go-to post-workout recovery / strength and mass gainer while I am not on a cut. I have tried to use this in conjunction with a cut and it just doesn't work due to the carb ratio. Here's my breakdown:

Taste:
    Love the weird range of flavors that are available. I've tried the tropical flavors and have found that Pina Colada is my favorite. Over the past few years I've gone through a handful of tubs and have still found that flavor to be my favorite. I get tired of having vanilla or chocolate based proteins, so the fruity tropical flavors are a real perk to this product.

Mixab...

Mixability:
    Very easily mixes even without a shaker cup. I tend to use a half-serving (1 Scoop) instead of the recommended serving size of 2 scoops, but even when using a full serving I never had an issue with oversaturation and rarely have clumps.

Serving size:
    Like I said above, I think the serving size is a little high due to the amount of carbs in each serving. I generally take a single scoop and that provides the amount of ingredients that I personally want to maintain. If I am trying specifically to gain mass I'll up to the full serving.

Absolutely makes an impact on recovery times. This compared to protein alone gives me significantly shorter recovery times. I almost always gain mass while on this product (depending on diet and workout goals). It is also easier to chug after workouts than most straight proteins. Although I primarily use this to build a good base of mass I've also been using it in half-servings to replenish carbs burnt during endurance or high-rep training. I'd say this is the best product for everything except for a cut. Yes, it's a kitchen-sink blend, but it's a blend that's worked really well for me for the past 3 years.

Price:
    This tends to be on the pricier end of things, but if you take half-servings it will last much longer. I believe in paying for high-quality products, and this is one of the supplements that I won't skimp on. I think this is worth the price just because of the versatility of the blend and the ability to use this for just about anything but a cut.

August 27, 2014

• Muscle Density
    • Stregnth Increase
    • To Many Pills
    After having tried multiple test boosters I've settled on Animal Stak (both old and new "more potent formula") as my tried-and-true test booster of choice.

Taste:
    N/A, these are pill packs. There aren't quite as many pills as in Animal Pak, and they are all capsules so they are easy to swallow. The biggest drawback to this product is having to down a handful of pills to get the effects.

Taste:

I feel multiple effects from Stak. The first is that I get a pump and increased heart rate roughly 30-45 minutes after taking the pack. I have taken this product before trying to go to bed and it made me unable to sleep for hours. I recommend taking it just before working out (30 minutes prior) or first thing in the morning.
    The second effect is increased motivation in the gym, feeling better and more alert during the day. When I cycle off this product, or if I stop taking it altogether I can feel the physical difference in the way I feel. It's not a miracle motivator, but it's enough to make going to the gym even easier.
    The third effect is the long-term muscle hardening, size increase, and recomping. I rarely see physical changes with the first can of Stak. Yes, I feel more motivated, but it's not until I take a week off and start the second can that I start to see the true benefits. I generally see pronounced muscle density, strength increases, increased muscle mass, and an increased ability to burn body fat. If you are shooting for a recomp this product and a dialed in diet and exercise regimen will put you well on your way. If I do not decrease my maintenance caloric intake I will always gain mass.
    I have used this during all phases of bulk, recomp, cut, and maintenance and have been pleased with the results every time. I have taken this product cycled off and on since 2010 and have always considered it worth my time and money.

Price:
    The price per can is reasonable from online outlets, but can be pricey at places like GNC. My main complaint about the price is that if you really want to see effects you need to buy at least two cans and plan on doing a 8 week cycle (with a week off in between cans). I have seen the best results this way and have always done a cycle of at least two cans. There are 21 packs per can, which allows you to take it for 3 weeks, plus one week for recovery before starting your next can.

Cons:
    Some cycles I'll get some acne on my back. It's never been enough to pin it definitely on Animal Stak. Also, if I take this before bed (as suggested on the label) it will keep me awake, and probably contributes to some feelings of stress when falling asleep (similar to if you took a heavy stimulant an hour before going to bed). I have no issues if I back it off a few hours.

A few more thoughts:
    I am generally wary of estrogen-regulating products, such as aromatase inhibitors because I tend to respond with joint issues, particularly in my knees. I am required to run and maintain flexibility, so that's always a concern for me. I've never had joint issues while taking Animal Stak, even with the estrogen regulation and anti-aromatase complexes that are in the product. As a regulation product it is also suitable as a PCT.

I've taken a few other Animal/Universal products and not been too impressed. The reliability and consistent results with Animal Stak keep me coming back, though, and I've not yet been let down.

August 8, 2011

Pros:
     Cons:
    • The Best Snack Food Ever
    • Taste Amazing
    • Convenient
      In a perfect world imagine yourself sitting on a nice summer day looking for a snack for your mid-afternoon-in-between-meals munch craving. You open up your bag and pull out a Slim Jim...but when you open the wrapper, there isn't orange grease dripping down your fingers. There aren't bits and flecks of white gristle all throughout the tasty meat, and when you squeeze it you don't get white and pink lard popping out like puss.

INSTEAD, you pull out a delicious ALL BEEF stick, that is only 60 Calories, contains 15 grams of Protein, 0 grams of Fat!!!, and only 1 gram of carbs!!

Smile...

Smile to yourself, because this isn't a perfect dream world, it's REAL LIFE. And that beef stick is made by SciFit and it's freakin' delicious.

Taste:
      I'm had both the Original flavor and the Black Pepper flavors. The Original tastes just like a Slim Jim without the grease, and the Black Pepper adds a little bit of spice. I could rave all day about how awesome these taste.

Fat free, low carb, 15 grams of Protein. AWESOME.

Value:
      These run online for about $20-25 for a big box of 20 sticks. At the gas station you pay $1.25 for a beef stick about this size, and it comes with all the nasty fat and junk.

Overall:
      If I could eat these all day as my primary source of nourishment I would. When I get these in the mail I have to stop myself from eating all of them the first few minutes I open the box up. Everyone I've given these to have loved them. My girlfriend steals them from me, people stop by my office and ask for them. These are the best snack item I have ever had. The only way to improve on these is to make them free and give me more of them.

July 8, 2011

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Delicious
      • Affordable
      • Simple And Well Excuted
      • Moderate Amount Of Protein
      I am not a fan of most protein bars simply because of the taste and the inability of most companies to produce a worthwhile product, but I have to say that these are definitely worth trying out.

Nutrition Breakdown:
      Calories: 210
      Fat: 13g
      (Saturated 6g)
      Carbs: 8g
      Fiber: 2g
      Sugars 2g
      Protein 14g

Sure, you can get more protein than this, and less carbs from some other source, but this "protein wafer" was actually really tasty.

Nutrition Breakdown:
      Calories: 210
      Fat: 13g
      (Saturated 6g)
      Carbs: 8g
      Fiber: 2g
      Sugars 2g
      Protein 14g

Taste:
      I got the Chocolate Mint flavor in hopes that it would satisfy my late-night cravings for Thin Mint cookies. It actually did exactly that. Inside a package are two thin wafer bars that are coated in chocolate and flavored with mint. It is delicious, and they satisfied that candy bar/cookie craving that I always seem to get at night, without the weird chalky protein taste that a lot of other bars have.

Cost:
      Bought off of BodyBuilding.com for $12.49 for a box of 9 packs. Each pack is two sticks (you're going to eat both as a single serving).

Overall:
      The taste is great, the breakdown is pretty good, and they are just filling enough to be satisfying. I wish they were a little cheaper, but that's the case for almost everything. I highly recommend!

May 1, 2011

• Shortens Recovery Time
      • Supports Lean Muscle
      • Good For Cutting
      • Great Bcaas
      • Containers Go Quick
      I have gone through a few tubs of Xtend right now, and highly recommend it for pretty much any athlete. This to me is what Gatorade had the potential to be, an effective intra-workout supplement that refreshes while it pumps BCAAs into your system. It does all this without sugar or a ton of carbs.

Value: I generally get this in the 30 servings tubs, and I guess that's about how many servings it holds. I buy the smaller tub because I like to change the flavors up. the price from BB.com seems competitive, although I haven't shopped a lot of BCAAs.

Taste: This product tastes outsta...

Taste: This product tastes outstanding. My favorite is Watermelon, followed by the Apple. I have also tried the Lemon-Lime and the Grape, both of which are good as well, but the Watermelon and Apple really taste awesome.

Mixability: Like most amino drinks this needs to settle before it fully mixes. I usually put a few scoops in a water bottle, shake it up and let it sit for a few minutes and then drink it. If you drink it right away there will be crystals in it...if you let it sit 2 minutes there will not.

I use this product many different ways. I sometimes drink this first thing in the morning to give my body a kick start before I do my cardio workout. Other times I drink it while I am doing my weight lifting workout. In both cases, I feel more refreshed during the workout, and I have a much faster recovery time with less soreness. I have used this during a cut and it definitely helped me retain my muscle MASS and definition while not hindering my fat loss at all.

I really do recommend this to anyone and everyone, it's a simple, easy-to-use supplement that really has no downside (other than cost, which really isn't bad).

April 14, 2011

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Lose Water Weight
      • Greast Fat Loss
      • Great Appetite Suppression
      • Saw Results Fast
        I recently completed two bottles of Muscle Pharm's Shred Matrix and was very pleased with my results.

Value: Two bottles lasted me 6 weeks at the recommended dosage, but I received both of those bottles and some other supplements in a package deal from BodyBuilding.com, so the price was slightly better than most places advertise. It is not too expensive compared to many other "fat burner" supplements out there.

Dosage: I took 3 pills in the morning before breakfast and 3 pills around noon before lunch. I increased to 4 pills per dosage in the last week or so of the cycle. The pills are medium size, but I never had a problem swallowing them. Since they are a pill there was not really any taste, although every once in a while I would have a burp that I can only describe as being somewhat like curry. That was a rare occurrence, however, and not a daily thing. No issues with taking 6 pills a day, I've taken pre-workout supplements that required more than that, so I can't complain.

Effectiveness: Ok, so I started this about 205-210 lbs and around 18-20% bodyfat. I ended the cycle at 194-195 lbs and 14-15% bodyfat. I was typically performing 60 minutes of weight lifting and 30-45 minutes of cardio a day during my duration on Shred Matrix. I also followed a reduced calorie diet where I measured intake, expenditure, and net calories for the duration.

Physical effects: I saw effects almost immediately with this product. Within 7 days I just looked a little leaner in the mirror. After 3 weeks the change was very noticeable, especially in my abs and face, which tend to by my two hardest areas to lose from. This did NOT product an intense thermo effect. I did NOT feel a "stim buzz" while I was on this product, and I did not sweat excessively. Though there is caffeine in this product I did not feel a huge energy "rush" or a crash on this product. It did give me a slight boost of energy, though, and I definitely missed that after I stopped taking it. I could tell it helped slightly with appetite suppression, although that effect seemed to decrease with time. After tracking my total calorie intake I saw that I consumed less calories at the beginning on my cycle of two bottles, and slightly more near the end, which I attribute to my body's adjustment to the appetite suppression aspect of this product.

Overall this helped me to meet the goals that I had set for myself in a reasonable amount of time. After I stopped taking it I did not experience a weight rebound, and my weight stayed consistent after finishing the cycle. I did notice after coming off of this that I didn't look quite as "ripped" ie, I had less definition than when I was taking it.

I would definitely recommend this to any person that is dedicated to actual fat loss and isn't looking for an easy way to lose weight fast. I would also highly recommend this to people who are stim sensitive, as it did not make me feel jittery or jumpy at all (which is how OEP makes me feel).

April 13, 2011

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Easy To Use
        • Convenient
        My fridge at work is stocked with Muscle Pharm Musclegel Shots and these Super Whey Protein shots. Both are right around 100 calories and offer around 25 grams of protein.

Convenience: This is convenient because it prevents me from getting powders and shake mixes all over my tiny office. It is single use, single serving, and a whole package takes up as much space as a sandwich in the fridge.

Value: You pay for the individual serving size in a very suspicious looking "test tube" container that is apparently reusable for "your favorite supplements". I guess you could keep pills in it, but honestly, you're just going to throw it away. It takes 15 seconds to slurp this stuff down, but you're really paying for the convenience of not making a mess or having to mix powders.

Effectiveness: I really just use this during the days that I haven't been able to intake as much protein as I'd like throughout the day. I don't drink these on a daily basis, as it would cost too much and I'd get tired of the taste. It does what it needs to, provides a single serving of around 20-25 grams of protein.

Taste: This tastes like baby cough syrup...you know, the kind without the alcohol in it? It doesn't make you gag, but I would never drink this as a snack unless I needed the protein.

Overall this is a good product, albeit in a weird container, that fulfills a basic need for quick and easy protein supplementation throughout the day. I bought mine bulk through an online discount, and that's probably the way to go with these.

March 29, 2011

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Maximizes Post-workout And Repair
        • Helps With Soreness
        • Not A Stand-alone Product
        • Little Pricey
        • Taste Is Not Great But Not Bad
        Recon (or Re-Con as the new packages are marked) is a great recovery product that supplies BCAAs as well as other herbal additives and EAAs.

Works as advertised, cutting down on recovery times and decreasing soreness. I haven't had an issue with soreness at all while using this product. I will say that on an effectiveness scale this is very good.

Mixability is so-so. You have to really shake this hard to mix it up, and it still tastes a little grainy when mixed at the recommended amount. The taste itself is ok, the flavor is great, but it has the heavy vitamin taste that I usually refer to as "ground up Flinstones kids vitamins", since that's exactly what this tastes like.

Because it's a little heavy, and it has a weird taste I wouldn't recommend this during your workout. I take SciVation's Xtend during my workout, and I take this or Dark Matter post-workout, depending on whether I'm cutting or gaining.

The downside to this product is that it doesn't contain creatine or protein like many other post-workouts. The upside is that it's low-calorie (80 total), so if you're looking for a good post-workout for replenishing your cut or cardio, this is works quit well.

Most supps don't last as long as they claim at the recommended dosage, but I will say that the amount supplied lasted me about an extra ten days past what's advertised (30 servings).

A little pricey, but it does last a long time taking once scoop post-workout. This is a great product to take during a cut, but it's obviously not standalone product. Works great along with other Muscle Pharm products, such as Battle Fuel and Assault.