JohnSerio

• Low community participation

Reviews by JohnSerio

May 16, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Transparent Blend
  • Good Profile
  • 3 Levels Of Digestion Speed
  • A Bit Pricey
  • Corn Syrup
  • Non-dairy Creamer

Pro Jym is a casein heavy blend protein with a transparent label for protein sources.

I used Pro Jym in both caloric deficit and surplus. I liked it more while I was cutting because the thicker powder kept me full a bit longer. I used this protein to meet my protein goals throughout the day, I never used it as a post workout supplement as I prefer using whey isolate post workout.

Jym's line is very transparent in labeling and I think the way the protein types are broken down here is very cool and something we should see more of in protein blends. The front of the tub shows the types of protein used and the amount of protein from each source.
1 Scoop of Pro Jym is either 140 or 150 calories depending on flavor. My review will be based on the Red Velvet Cake flavor which is 140 calories, these calories come from 3g of fat 5g of carbs and 24g of protein. Pro Jym also has 1g of sugar and 15mg of cholesterol. The protein is broken down to 7.5g whey protein isolate, 7g micellar casein, 2.5g egg albumin, and 7g milk protein isolate (5.5g casein, 1.5g whey). This blend is casein heavy with 50% of the total protein being micellar casein. I enjoy this blend for a protein to use throughout the day because it feels more like a meal replacement shake and can keep me fuller.
I really do not understand the inclusion of a non-dairy creamer in this protein. Especially because it contains milk protein already, and that creamer contains corn syrup sweeteners.

My taste and mixability review will be based on mixing one scoop with 8oz of water.
The taste was pretty bad. I have had the Red Velvet Cake and Root Beer Float flavors. The red velvet was incredibly bland, more of a vanilla than a red velvet, and even for a vanilla, it was really bad. I would have preferred a flavorless protein because that is pretty close to what this was.
The Root Beer Float flavor was somehow worse than the red velvet. The initial root beer flavor was fantastic, but the vanilla type of aftertaste was disgusting and left me not wanting to take another sip. I chugged every scoop of this protein because of the aftertaste.

Mixability was okay, it took a while and often required a blender ball. The powder would tend to get stuck under the cap which was annoying. The powder was also very sticky which could be annoying if you spill it.

I took one or two scoops a day depending on how many grams of protein I had that day. One scoop did keep me pretty full which is nice.

This product was pretty effective. It helped me reach my macros and kept me full. These two points are very important for a snack protein, but here is where it falls short for me. At 5g of carbs per scoop and 24g of protein, there are many other protein blends I can use that will help me meet my macros with fewer carbs. When my macro budget starts getting tight I might have to look elsewhere. The other factor that brought down the effectiveness is it does not help with carb or sweet cravings the way most proteins do, even most average protein flavors will help with this but the bland or just plain bad flavors of Pro Jym will not. I did not have any problems with bloating or GI distress from this product. I would love to find another protein that was this good at keeping me full just with less carbs and a decent flavor.

Pro Jym is available at 34.99 for a 2lb tub ($1.35/serving) or 56.98 for a 4lb tub ($1.10/serving). This is pretty pricey for a protein supplement, and a bit above average for a whey blend. You can get Pro-Antium (Ronnie Coleman Signature Series) or Select Protein (PES) for a better price per serving.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This protein had some good and some bad. At this price I would reccomend steering clear of Pro Jym.

May 14, 2018

• High Caffeine Content
  • Smooth Energy
  • Tastes Great
  • Better Than An Energy Drink
  • Prop Blend
  • Not Enough For A True Pre Workout

Bang energy drinks are the bodybuilder's redbull. I chose to review these because I think they are a product with a ton of hype, and I wanted to explain where that hype comes from.

I am a college student and I work a part time retail job so I am often drained throughout the day. Bang has been there to save me, especially during finals week. I have had almost every flavor of Bang because I get them for a discount at one of my local gyms. I have had the 12 pack of Purple Guava Pear and Black Cherry Vanilla.

Bang packs ...

Bang packs 300mg of caffeine into each can, and there are 0 calories per can. The main sweetener is sucralose. Bang is naturally flavored with no artificial colors.
The ingredients, sadly, are listed in a prop blend. But the stars of the ingredient panel are, L-Leucine, Creatyl-L-Leucine (creatine bonded to L-Leucine), L-isoleucine, L-Valine, vitamin B3, CoQ10, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12.

I would love to see L-Carnitine and something for a pump in here to help make it a preworkout as well as an energy drink. However, when comparing to other energy drinks this ingredient panel is very good.

Taste is fantastic when it comes to Bang. These are also not too carbonated so they were easier to drink. I hate how most energy drinks burn my throat when I drink them. I have had almost every flavor and I will break down each one. The tea flavors are not carbonated.

Peach Mango: Very sweet, not my favorite but a very accurate flavor.
Sour Heads: Green apple sprite type of flavor.
Star Blast: Tastes exactly like the blue part of a rocket pop.
Power Punch: The worst Bang in my opinion. A poorly flavored fruit punch.
Lemon Drop: A more lemony sprite.
Champagne: More of a cream soda flavor.
Black Cherry Vanilla: Perfect soda taste, reminds me of Dr. Pepper.
Root Beer Blaze: They did not add a vanilla taste so this is far too tart.
Purple Guava Pear: The perfect energy drink flavor for me, not too sweet. It is a must try.
Cherry Blade Lemonade: I love lemonade flavors so this one might be my favorite. The cherry is also very good.
Georgia Peach Sweet Tea: I was disappointed by this one, it has a very acidic aftertaste.

Dosage: I would have one can a day as needed. Never more than one.

I feel great when I drink these. I drink Bang exclusively when I work in the morning or before morning classes as a replacement for coffee. It never fails to wake me up and it keeps me going for roughly 3 hours. The nicest part about bang is that after the caffeine hits there is no crash so I would not want to just go take a nap after, and I would never need more than one throughout the day. When compared to Monster and RedBull, Bang was a much bigger kick of energy for me.

On Amazon a 12 pack of Bang is 24.99 (16fl oz cans), a 12 pack of Red Bull is 35.68 (16 fl oz), and a 24 pack of monster is 37.41 (16 fl oz). Cellucor's C4 carbonated is 29.99 for a 12 pack (16 fl oz cans), and Celsius Heat is 28.94 for a 12 pack (16 fl oz cans).
This makes Bang pricing very competitive with other energy drinks. When compared to other carbonated RTD's Bang is the cheapest. The only reason I did not rate the value of Bang higher is that Bang cannot be used as a preworkout the way some other RTD's can be used.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Bang is a strong, well priced, great tasting, 0 calorie energy drink. The only downside is it can not be used as a preworkout as well.

9.5

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Crazy Pump
  • Good Flavor
  • Vascularity
  • Muscle Fullness
  • Gritty
  • Does Not Mix Well

Full as F*ck is a stim-free preworkout Nitric Oxide booster and pump supplement. 5% Nutrition claims it will increase blood flow and training volume while reducing fatigue and muscle soreness. Here's what I experienced with the tub of my new favorite pump product.

I purchased Full as F*ck on Rich's 5% website. It was the first product they ran as a "Daily Deal" so I grabbed it for $16.95. I used this product stacked with various stimulant preworkouts and also as a standalone product. This review will be based on my experience when using this product as a standalone preworkout. I used this product when running a bodybuilding bro-split program in a caloric surplus.

This product is overdosed, there is no other way to explain it. 4g of L-Citrulline 2g of L-Taurine, 1g of Agmatine Sulfate as AgmaMax, 1g of Glycerol Monosterate, 650mg of Dan-Shen extract 500mg of Beet Root Powder, 250mg of L-Norvaline, 100mg of Hesperidin and 5mg of Black Pepper Fruit Extract as BioPerine.

I responded extremely well to this blend of ingredients. I was excited to see a product that combines all of these ingredients in one product as I have not seen another pump preworkout this well rounded. It is nice to see Dan-Shen extract which is something I have not seen often, this is used to promote blood flow and has historically been used as an herbal medicine for blood flow issues.

I had the pomegranate flavor and it was quite nice. It mixed well with different flavors of preworkout and even masked the flavor of some badly flavored pre's. Tastes a lot like Pom pomegranate juice. 9/10.
Mixability was okay, like most pump preworkouts Full as F*ck was a bit gritty and would sink to the bottom after mixing.
I used a one scoop dose most of the time. I tried 1.5 but I had the same experience. I never really needed more than one scoop because these were the best pumps I have had.

This is the most effective pump preworkout supplement I have ever used. My physique was different a few sets into the workout because of the blood flow to the muscle group I was working. The best days for this product were shoulder and arm days. Feeling the swelling and seeing the increase in vascularity and muscle size was euphoric. I also felt less pain towards the end of my sets, it was more of a fullness than a burn on high rep sets. When I finished the tub of this product I was left reaching for more because my pumps were just not the same as they were with the product. A pump this good definitely made my workouts better, more intense, and more focused on seeing how much blood I could get to each muscle group.

If this product is run as the deal of the day again at $16.95 it is a great value. However, I have not seen this price more than once, and I am not sure if I will see it again. The normal price for this product is $33.95 for 30sv so it is $1.13 per serving which is not bad, and I would say it is definetly worth the extra money.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is my personal favorite pump supplement on the market and I cannot wait to order more.

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Pump
  • Artificial Color
  • Artificial Flavor
  • Artificial Sweetener

Summary

FINAFLEX claims BCAA Max Pump is your ultimate super intra-workout. This might be an exaggeration but the product is fairly good for what it is designed for, which is supplying BCAA's and extending muscle pumps.

I got these buy one get one free from A1Supplements, I gave it a shot because my preworkout did not have agmatine sulfate. My review is based on 1.5 scoops in 14oz of water.

Summary

1 scoop of BCAA Max Pump is 5g of 2:1:1 BCAA's, 1.25g Betaine Anhydrous (trimethylglycine), and 750mg Agmatine Sulfate as Agmapure (Agmapure is more bioavailable than regular agmatine sulfate).
This is a cool product because it contains the average 5g of BCAA's but also has a couple pump ingredients to help extend pumps throughout a workout.

I had both the Strawberry Banana and the Peach Mango Twister. The strawberry banana was different as I had never had a strawberry banana supplement before. When you open the container the aroma hits you pretty hard, smells like you just walked into Jamba Juice. It was a much stronger strawberry flavor than banana but I enjoyed it. 8/10
The peach mango twister is not bad but a little acidic tasting, kind of hard to explain but there is an odd aftertaste. 6/10
Mixability was fine, never clumped or floated.
I dosed this at 1.5 scoops because I noticed a huge difference in pumps between one and two scoops, when I scaled back to 1.5 I still had the same pump as I did with 2 scoops.

This product was very effective for extending my pump during workouts. I usually lift for roughly 90 minutes and then do 10-30 minutes of cardio. Before this product my pump would last around 60 minutes into the workout depending on what preworkout I took. With this product I would notice increased vascularity and muscle fullness into my cardio. The BCAA's are also effective, at 1.5 scoops I had 7.5g which helped me with recovery.
I stacked with a few different pre workouts depending on what muscle group I was targeting that day but noticed the same results every time as far as pump extension. When used with a pump pre workout I had better pumps along with the better duration.

I got this product buy one get one free at $26.95 (This deal is still available). At this price, the value is almost unmatched for a two in one product like this. The reason I did not rank it a 10 is on most websites it is $26.95 for one tub which is not the best deal but still pretty good.

Side Effects

Conclusion

To extend your pump with an intra workout supplement, I would go with this. Get it on sale if you want to give it a try.

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Solid Profile.
  • Helps Meet Macro Goals
  • Food Pumps
  • Oats Sink To Bottom
  • Pricey
  • Annoying Scooper

I used this product while doing Rich Piana's bigger by the day and the resurrection programs. I like it but I have a few issues with it. My review is based on mixing a scoop of real food with 2 scoops of protein and 10oz of water.

Real Food is full of great complex carbs. The carb sources are yams, sweet potatoes, oats, and blueberry powder. Each scoop contained 100 calories coming from 1g of fat, 20g of carbs, and 1g of protein. This product also has 17g of fiber and 1g of sugar. I really like this ingredient profile because these are some of the best complex carbs you can find.

I had the sweet potato pie flavor and it was okay. Mixed well with vanilla protein, 6/10.
Mixability was okay, the oats float to the bottom and clump up even with a blender ball.
I used a scoop dose post workout or a 2 scoop dose as a meal replacement.

This product is an effective way to add complex carbs to your diet. But I like to eat my carbs, especially when I'm cutting. And this is no different than just eating the carb sources that are listed in the product. The best time for this product was when I was in a time crunch for a meal and just made a shake to replace it, or when I absolutely could not eat any more carbs and needed to drink my calories (this was extremely rare).

The value of this product is not great. It is cheaper to just eat your carbs if you are only using this as a carb supplement. If it is a meal replacement the value is even worse because you will need to also buy a protein powder when you can just buy a mass gainer for the same price as real food with even better complex carbs (such as Carb10). Again, I prefer to eat my carbs, it is cheaper and more satisfying.
I paid $43.95 for the 60 sv tub from Amazon. It is available a bit cheaper from other retailers but I have not seen a price that makes it worth purchasing again.

Side Effects

Conclusion

A great product in theory but the value is not there. Next time I will just grab a mass gainer or some sweet potatoes from the supermarket.

• Always On Sale
  • Slow Digesting
  • Leaves A Film When It Dries

I found this product on sale when I was looking for a new protein powder, it came out to $9 for a 2.2lb bag. I used this while bulking and while cutting to meet my protein goals, I took it before bed. My review is based on mixing vanilla flavor with 6oz of water, no blender ball.

Most flavors contain around 95% protein, this product is also available in natural flavors or flavorless. There are no fillers in this product and 100% of the protein is from micellar casein (milk). For the unflavored version, a 30g scoop gives you 24g of protein, 0.5g fat and 1g of carbs for 110 calories. Those macros will vary slightly depending on the flavor you choose.

The taste was good, I have only had the vanilla but I have had no reason to switch. It is smooth, not too sweet, a bit bland but definitely a vanilla aftertaste, 7/10.
Mixability was fine, I never had any clumps. The powder is very thin so be careful about opening the bag or the powder will get everywhere. After drinking, clean out your shaker or cup immediately because it will leave a film on whatever it touches once it dries.
I dosed the protein at one scoop nightly. If I was lazy with getting my protein in for the day I would go with two scoops.

This product was great for both bulking and cutting diets. This product kept me full and usually stopped me from craving sweets, I usually get cravings at night right before bed, so this would help with those cravings. I also felt that this was effective while I was bulking because I had trouble hitting my protein goals without it, I also would feel that my recovery was better when I took the product before bed.

Since it is MyProtein, NEVER pay full price! There is almost always a sale going on, and the value of these sales are very good. The regular prices are $54.99 for a 5.5lb bag or $29.99 for a 2.2lb bag. When compared to other popular casein powders these are better than normal prices, and when they are discounted they are even better. I would recommend signing up for MyProtein emails, they can be annoying but they run a lot of 24 hour or less sales where you can get the best prices on their products.
MyProtein's most recent sale on casein dropped the price to $9.78 for 2.2lb for all flavors.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This product is easy to get for a great deal, and it is relatively clean. No matter what you use the product for this is the best value you will find.

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Natural Color And Flavor
  • Ace-K And Sucralose

A good dose of electrolytes, BCAA's and EAA's in a great tasting powder. My goals while using this product were to cut fat while sparing muscle.

A great product that I really enjoy, I am already on my 4th tub.

Hydration Matrix: Calcium (as calcium citrate) 50mg, Magnesium (as magnesium citrate) 50mg, Sodium (as sodium citrate) 50mg, Potassium (as potassium chloride) 100mg. A little underdosed when compared to other hydration blends in amino supplements.
BCAA's: 2:1:1 at 7g per serving, a regular dose for this category.
...

A great product that I really enjoy, I am already on my 4th tub.

BCAA's: 2:1:1 at 7g per serving, a regular dose for this category.
EAA's: 3g blend of L-Threonine, L-Phenylalanine, L-Lysine, L-Histidine, L-Methionine, and L-Tryptophan. A well-dosed blend, I was happy to see Tryptophan since many companies are leaving this out of their EAA blends.

Taste & Mixability

I have had the Miami Vice and Texas Tea flavors. Miami Vice was above average but not the best I've ever had, 7/10. Texas Tea was fantastic and I refuse to order another flavor because of how much I like it, tastes exactly like Brisk lemon tea, 10/10.
Mixability is not a problem, I mix with around 14 ounces of water for my personal taste preference but it mixes just as well with 8 ounces.

The BCAA and EAA dosages in this product are very similar to others on the market. I felt a difference in my hydration when compared to not using the product. Amino acid products have helped me with delayed onset muscle soreness and muscle sparing, but this product is not any better at that than other amino acid products.

At $30 per tub on most websites (don't order from the PS website it is always overpriced) HydroBCAA is $1 per serving, which is the average for this type of product. Since this product is better tasting and includes EAA's and electrolytes, I think the value is pretty good.

Side Effects

Conclusion

An effective, great tasting BCAA and EAA supplement with an average price. I will definitely continue to purchase HydroBCAA

• Easy To Mix
  • Good Combo Of Proteins
  • Great Profile
  • Meets Label Claims
  • Creative Flavors
  • Artificial FlavorsSweeteners
  • Sucralose And Ace-K
I have finished a 55 serve of cookies n' cream and a 27 serving of strawberry cheesecake. I am a huge fan of Select Protein and I can't wait to try a few other flavors.

Each scoop is 31g and roughly 110 calories (depending on flavor). These calories come from 1.5g of fat, <1g carbohydrates, and 24g of protein. The protein in this product is a milk protein isolate blend consisting of casein and whey protein concentrate at 80%. PES also includes Pepform Leucine Peptides by Glanbia Nutritionals, a leucine that is more bioavailable than normal freeform leucine. PES includes natural and artificial flavors along with sucralose and acesulfame potassium.

All of my flavor reviews will be based on mixing with 6 ounces of water.
Cookies n' Cream by PES is one of my personal favorite protein flavors, it is fairly sweet and comparable to an Oreo shake, 9/10. I also got a tub of the limited edition Strawberry Cheesecake flavor, I was not a huge fan of this one. It had real strawberry pieces but they did not add much to the flavor, it was mostly just an overly sweet cheesecake flavor, 4/10.
Mixability was easy, just a few wrist flicks in a bottle (no blender ball) with water and the protein was well mixed.
Dosage would depend on your personal macro goals, but this protein is pretty clean so adjusting as needed would be easy.

The effectiveness of whey protein is mostly based on how well you digest the protein powder, with this blend from PES I experienced no GI distress or bloating like I have with other proteins before. I am a fan of protein blends because there is research on the increased amino acid level in serum over time being more important than increased amino acid levels in serum for short periods. They also seem to be easier to digest than isolates.

A 55-serving tub goes for $47-49, and the 27-serving tub goes for $27-29. This protein is pricey for a protein powder but not too expensive for a blend. I will purchase it again if there is a sale or if I have some extra cash.

Side Effects

Conclusion
PES Select Protein is one of the best protein powders I have tried as far as digestibility and flavor, but it is a bit expensive.