Daemonium

• Reputation is somewhat low. (+19)
  • Was an active member for 2 months, but hasn't been online since June, 2018
  • Member has only posted 1 review
  • Low community participation

Reviews by Daemonium

Overall
Overall
  April 14, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Pump
  • Consistent Energy
  • Good Profile
  • No Proprietary Blend
I received a bottle of Peach Mango Supernova from Nutrabolics for the purpose of writing a review following use. I have used around 30 different pre workout products since I started lifting (maybe more, that's just a ballpark number), and usually opt for a pre that is high in stims and provides a strong mental focus. This will come up as I discuss my experience with Supernova and what I look for in a good pre to enhance my training (strength/powerlifting). I have no affiliation with the company. This is my unbiased review.

Serving Size 1 Sco...

Serving Size 1 Scoop (14.4 g)
Servings Per Container 20
Caffeine Anhydrous 200 mg
Bitter Orange (30% Synephrine) 100 mg
Theanine 100 mg
Huperzine 150 mcg

As a researcher (not in the field of sport nutrition, but exercise science none the less), this is something that should be weighed very heavily when choosing a pre workout product. The profile should always be carefully chosen based on scientific findings indicating an ergogenic effect from the ingredients chosen. I have to give a shoutout to Nutrabolics for not hiding dosages under a "proprietary blend". All dosages are listed.

There is a fairly high dose of Citrulline malate (6g) which is great, as there is some evidence to support CM in reducing fatigue during exercise and post exercise soreness. It has also been shown to increase plasma arginine which has been recognized for some time (most people seem to supplement with it for the pump, but no hate). If a pre can reduce my fatigue and allow me to increase my training volume to any extent, ill take it.

The beta alanine dosage is a lower (half/less than half) than what has been shown to be beneficial for performance - additional supplementation may provide more of a benefit in endurance/lactic capacity. Some people just like it for the tingles (which is more mental than anything), but to each their own.

There seems to be some emerging research on betaine for muscular endurance and blood flow improvement, so this could prove beneficial the the aforementioned ingredients.

There seems to be some research on dendrobium on immune function and inflammation, which may be beneficial for recovery, those this is more of a potential implication than anything.

Theobromine is a vasodilator, simple as that (where the pump chasers at).

I'm used to more than 200mg of caffeine pre-workout, but I think the combination of this with bitter orange/synephrine (more stims) allows for a good amount of energy. Theanine does seem to have a synergistic effect with stims in taking away those jitters (for those of you with lower tolerance).

Huperzine is something I'm less familiar with, but some research seems to suggest neuroprotective properties. Being an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, improved neurotransmission may be a potential benefit, though I'm not sure any ergogenic benefits have been recognized at this point.

In addition, I'm happy that they didn't waste any room on creatine, as I feel that (with the research available and cost of creatine) it's a waste of space to include it when it can be supplemented separately for cheap.

Taste and Mixability
I went with the Peach Mango flavour. I've probably only tried 3-4 other supplements with this flavouring and have yet to come across any that I really disliked. I have to say Nutrabolics really hit the nail on the head here. The one main difference that I noticed compared to similar flavourings is that Supernova doesn't have as much of a tart aftertaste as others I've tried. I typically toss my pre into my mouth and mix it around with water. For the sake of the review, I mixed this in water a few times with no issues mixing in - all powder dissolves quickly and easily. It's a decent amount of powder so I used at least a half shaker bottle of water so it isn't super strong. Very refreshing though. It's actually really easy to just toss a scoop in my mouth and chug down without that really tart taste.

I have to say that I definitely enjoyed Supernova. It's lower in stims than the pre I normally take (which are normally very high, 3-400mg), so in comparison the amount of energy I get from it is quite a bit less. However, it's definitely a different overall feel. The energy is more smooth an consistent, and I've never had an issues with jitters or any sort of crash from it. With higher stim pre's (especially if I haven't eaten much), sometimes I find myself getting super hyped-up in the beginning of my lift with some inconsistency toward the end (either I can maintain my energy and mental focus or it drops off very quickly). Supernova gives me consistent energy, though some days I feel like I need to up the dose to really get the energy and tunnel vision that I want for a heavy lift. Though I train for strength (powerlifting) and am not necessarily chasing the pump, on my volume days I get a pretty gnarly pump going which is always a nice feeling. I feel that the formula would be hugely beneficial for people training more for hypertrophy, as it does do a great job of increasing blood flow. I did notice a slight increase in endurance as well on those volume days, which I definitely need, and could prove to be beneficial for both hypertrophy and endurance training.

It's priced at $2.00/$2.58 per serving US/CAN, which is more on the expensive side for a pre, though this may be justified through the profile. I think the profile is fairly complete, but at that price point I would want to feel the tunnel vision I want from a pre in addition to the other aforementioned ergogenic effects. I would have an easier time double-scooping a less expensive pre workout for the purpose of getting more stims, but couldn't justify it at this price. If anything I'd just consume some additional caffeine.

Side Effects
No side effects were noticed with use.

Conclusion
Overall, Supernova is a solid pre-workout. The flavouring is spot on for peach mango. It gives me less intense mental focus than I like from a pre but always gives smooth and consistent energy, and can definitely bring on a solid pump with the right training as well as potentially improving endurance. It's got a great, simple profile with a high dose of CM (for those of you who like CM in your pre's). I would recommend it to those of you looking for a well dosed, fairly well rounded pre workout supplement. Personally, I'm not sure if I would purchase unless it was on sale just because of the price point.