AgeIsANumber

• Reputation is somewhat low. (+37)
  • Member has been active for 1 year, and was last online 2 weeks ago
  • Member has only posted 4 reviews
  • Low community participation

Reviews by AgeIsANumber

November 30, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Convenient
  • Stomachdigestive Issues

Kudos to SR reviewers for making me look more closely at nutrition facts... and you should do the same before trying this RTD

Full disclosure, I'll attach images on the specific RTD I"m reviewing. I picked these up in bulk at a big-box store. The form factor didn't exactly match the picture, but the images clearly display what I'm reviewing. Hey, I'm lazy like most people and am not too proud to add RTDs to my diet if the product is a good fit.

Let's spend some time here. I'll attach an image with the full nutrition fa...

Let's spend some time here. I'll attach an image with the full nutrition facts and highlight some of the big points here. (Apologies if the images aren't oriented correctly - I've had them flip after submitting at times for reasons unknown):
25g Protein - Honestly, that's what appealed to me initially. 25g in an 11oz RTD is something I could certainly live with.
4.5g Total Fat (1g saturated, 0.5g polyunsaturated, 2.5g monounsaturated) - OHHH... people like the taste of Muscle Milk and this could be why. If you watch your macros closely, be aware. This isn't a low-fat option by ANY means.
7g Total Carbs (4g dietary fiber) - This explains some things as well and I'll try to touch on that briefly below. Again, macro counters be aware of what you're consuming.
770mg Potassium - I've certainly read some things about the benefits of potassium consumption and its need for a proper fitness plan, but this is a pretty high amount in a single serving (22% of recommended DV).

Going back to the protein, this is also primarily a casein-based protein, so you're theoretically talking about a product that will be better for slower protein absorption. This wouldn't be a product to drink immediately after a workout. I've been trying them primarily at breakfast.

Taste - They taste pretty good. With the fat content and a mix of natural and artificial flavoring, they should. I can't knock the taste, though.
Mixability - N/A as it's a ready-to-drink. As such, I shook before consuming (as directed) and didn't notice any texture issues.
Dosing - The serving is an 11oz RTD container. I can't imagine needing or wanting to drink more than one of these in a serving.

Maybe there's some effectiveness here, but this is tough to judge given that (1) it's a casein-based protein, so immediate 'effectiveness' isn't something I'm thinking about with this and (2) my specific side effect that I'll note below. It may be effective in some sense, but I can't say as I noticed a huge positive benefit.

I think I got 12 of these in the $14-15 range, so you're at just over $1/serving. To me, that's not a bad value; however, it's also not a "run to the store and grab all they have" value, either.

Side Effects

I think I have one, though I'm hesitant to blame it specifically on this product alone. There could certainly be other factors at play. Maybe it's the 4g of dietary fiber, maybe it's some of the other fats and ingredients noted, maybe it's a big helping of potassium early in the morning... but I found a correlation in the use of this product and the need to head to the bathroom about 20 minutes later. I guess the 'glass half full' crowd would say that it might help keep you regular. To me, there are other ways to get that benefit if you need it.

Conclusion

I hope this product is more compatible with you than it is with me. The side effect and the ingredient profile will have me searching for a different product to add to my supplement regimen.

November 26, 2018

• Low Cals And Carbs
  • Taste
  • Mixes Well
  • Great Product
  • Little Pricey

One of the best whey isolates I've tried. There are cost concerns, but that's primarily based on the category of product.

My local gym carries this product and, though I didn't purchase from there, I did buy a large tub online and decide to give it a try. I'll have to say I'm a bit envious of those SR users that were fortunate enough to receive this product as part of the review program.

We can briefly go over what you're getting... but the real benefit with a good whey isolate (to me) is what you're NOT getting. I look for protein density in a serving size and you're getting 25g of protein in a serving size of 30g (1 scoop). Of that 25g of protein, 4.4g of that is from glutamine. Is that good? I think it's good that it isn't too high. You're going to get glutamine as part of a normal diet, so you wouldn't want an excessive amount of glutamine in a protein supplement. Also in the serving is 2.7g of leucine. Again, too much leucine by itself or not in the recommended ratios could cause a problem and Dymatize has taken time to try to break this down as part of their labeling, so browse around and read in detail if it's of great concern to you.

The other thing worth noting is that a serving size is 110 calories. Too many sweeteners or other added ingredients can cause protein supplements to get your calorie counts out of whack if you're on a specific training program. With this product, I think you're getting a good amount of protein in a small(er) serving size without excessive calorie intake. Translation: this shouldn't wreck your diet! :)

Taste: I tried the 'cookies and cream' flavor and I'm fine with that. Some don't like that flavor in general, but I consume quickly and immediately post-workout, so I'm not savoring like as if I'm at a wine-tasting. It tastes fine to me and, though it's sweet enough not to be bland, I didn't find it to be too sweet.

Mixability: I was really impressed with its ease of mixing. The label says it's made for easy mixing and they're spot-on with that claim. The protein is powdery without being chalky if that makes any sense at all. The label says to mix it with 5-6oz of water/beverage and I indeed tried to mix with that amount of water. A few quick shakes and this stuff mixed instantly with zero clumping. It mixes about as easily as anything I've seen.

Dosing: This has probably already been covered. I'm a single-scoop guy, though I'll sometimes throw in maybe 1/3 of a second scoop. I'd say you have to know yourself and your workout habits, but you don't want too much protein consumption in a small window... certainly not more than your body can absorb and use in a given time frame. Anything more is a waste (and you can decide if there's a pun there or not).

I suppose this can be a bit subjective with protein, but I feel well and feel like the product is helping. Train hard and eat right and protein should help you develop muscle mass. I feel like I train pretty hard for a person my age and, when supplementing with this protein, I'm maintaining muscle. That's about all I can ask.

As I search a couple of my favorite sites in late 2018, I see this in the $65-75 range for a 5lb tub of this product. It isn't cheap... but is that because this product is overpriced or because you're simply going to pay more for a whey isolate? Even though I may ding this product a bit on value, I'd have to honestly say that some of that is due my being a bit of a miser. Whey isolate protein isn't cheap. You're going to pay more for a protein that is engineered to mix well, contain higher quality and ratio of essential components, etc. You can probably find a lower-cost whey isolate, but it might also be a product of lower quality. This isn't a bad value for what you're getting.

Side Effects

None that I've noticed.

Conclusion

I might cry about the price of it, but I'll end up purchasing this again because it seems to be a high-quality product that tastes good and mixes with zero fuss. I've seen other positive reviews of ISO-100 on SR and I can say that it isn't just talk. It's definitely worth trying to see if this needs to be a part of your supplement regimen.

November 17, 2018

• Not Worth The Money

If a caffeine jolt helps you work out, go for it. If you're sensitive to that, you're best to avoid.

Full Disclosure - see attached images for product being reviewed, as my product is called "Speed Stack" but differs slightly from the "Extreme" bottling pictured. I don't typically choose the Ready-To-Drink (RTD) products as part of a supplement regimen, but I thought I'd give this a try. ABB has been in business for a while and, as you've probably seen with one glance at a cooler in most gyms, they have a wide variety of offerings to tempt most anyone.

One of the attached images will give you the specifics (such as they are), but I'll try to highlight a few of the bigger points here:

250mg Caffeine - says it right there on the front. That's good or bad, depending on your preference and sensitivity to that. This is more than your typical large cup of coffee, soft drink or mass-market energy drink. It's probably in the neighborhood of the potent 'energy shots' that were a big thing at one time (e.g. 5-hour, etc).

0g sugar, 5 calories - No sugar, practically no calories. Sounds good... but there's 'something' in there, right?

960mg of their "Proprietary MethXanth Blend (TM)" - I know that these companies can't reveal their secrets, but it does make you wonder how much of these other products (you know, the stuff in the blend) that you're ingesting. A few of those include Yerba Mate Extract (known for some caffeine content, energy boost, etc), DMAE Bitartrate (? - per some searching, for cellular health, particularly brain-related) and (of course) the caffeine anhydrous.

Taste - I went with the fruit punch. It definitely has its own 'taste' and what I would call an aftertaste. I chalked down my share of super-chalky protein supplements many years ago, so I don't get as critical of taste as others do. That said, if you asked me "does it taste good?", I would probably say "eh... I wouldn't call it good, exactly." I tolerated it fine, but if someone told you that it had a medicine-like taste to it, I can see what would make them say that.

Mixability - N/A. This is definitely a benefit of the RTD products. You're paying for the convenience of not having to mix anything up (more on that later).

Dosing - The recommendation is to begin drinking the bottle 20 minutes before working out, then finish it up while training. That's usually how I went about it when trying this product. I would usually finish during the workout and then drink water from that point on during the workout.

I don't drink very much caffeine during the normal course of the day. As noted, these have 250mg of caffeine, so... I undoubtedly knew that this product was in my system. During one workout, I specifically made sure that this was all I was taking and I tracked my heartrate and approximate calorie burn during the workout with a Fitbit. I worked up a good sweat pretty quickly and I was weight training. I wasn't doing supersets or alternating any cardio during the workout. The typical "bro workout," if you will, just sets of various shoulder exercises. My heartrate was noticeably higher on average during the workout and I had burned approximately 600 calories while performing a workout that I would have guessed would have typically had me burning 400-450 calories.

I bought these in bulk and probably spent just over $2 each (this was a 'box' of (12) 18-ounce bottles, BTW). Individually at a gym, they may cost you $3-4 each. If you're buying a RTD, you're paying for the convenience of not having to mix. I would much prefer to spend less per serving on a pre-workout and I bought these in bulk to try them out because I knew how expensive they were individually. I'm pretty frugal and I can't imagine dropping $3-4 per workout just to have a drink like this to make me feel ready to lift.

Side Effects

This may be in the eye of the beholder, as I would call any 'side effects' simply the byproduct of taking a big dose of caffeine. Yeah, I had a sweat going more quickly during the workout. Yes, my heartrate increased. If you're really sensitive to caffeine, you might get jittery (I didn't). You might have headaches for feel a 'crash' after the product wears off, though I did not. You're drinking a stimulant before working out, so you may have side effects. I didn't notice anything that I wouldn't expect, but educate yourself before consuming if this concerns you at all.

Conclusion

It definitely works, but I wish it tasted a bit better and I wish it cost a bit less. I can't say I'll never drink these again, but this is an 'every now and then' product for me and is not a must-have for my supplement regimen.

November 12, 2018

• Good Focus
  • No Bad Side Effect
  • Pricey For 2 Scoopers
  • Tolerance Rather Quick

C4 is a safe if not overwhelming choice for someone looking to try a pre-workout.

I'm new to writing supplement reviews, though I'm not new to trying supplements or to working out. I've trained for general wellness and slow strength gains for about 15 years. I was the kid that was super-skinny growing up and have made a good amount of slow progress over the years. I'll never be mistaken for the biggest guy in the room, but I've not gone down any sort of needle-based route to shortcut any success either. I take various vitamin supplements and, from a workout perspective, I'm usually taking some combination of a pre-workout, creatine, BCAA and having a post-workout protein shake.

While not going through the entire label, there were indeed a couple of things that I noticed. First, a 6.5g serving (one scoop) contains 1.6g of CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine. I noted above that I didn't get jitters or tingles with this and this dosage might explain why. WebMD suggested 3.2-6.4g when mentioning dosing of beta-alanine so, as other reviewers noted, it would be easy to argue that you're getting short-changed here.

I also noticed 150mg of caffeine anhydrous in a serving. Some people are very sensitive and/or opinionated when it comes to caffeine-based supplements. Critics are going to say that this is a low dosage. Advocates would simply say that this is a safe dosage. I don't drink a ton of caffeine during the typical day, so I'm fine with this amount even though others may say that it's too low for their liking.

There are probably a dozen or so flavors of C4 out there now. I've only taken the fruit punch (which is fair) and pink lemonade (which I would prefer of those two) in terms of taste. I'm not one to sip on a pre-workout, so I personally wouldn't discard a pre-workout on taste alone unless it were horrible! The packaging suggests one scoop with 6oz water, I typically take most of a scoop (maybe over 3/4, usually just short of 100% full) with 8-10oz water and I often mix in some flavorless creatine as well. I've never had any issues with getting it to mix easily with a few vigorous shakes in a water bottle. If you're using a shaker or blender, mixing should be very easy. I'm not a two-scooper, so you may have to check other reviews for feedback there.

As noted earlier, I don't get the jitter/tingle effect... which is fine with me as I'm not usually after that. I've gotten pretty accustomed to taking a pre-workout and I do think that I get some added energy and focus when taking this product. I'm often trying different products and if I've had a bad experience with one, I come back to C4 as somewhat of a baseline. If you're looking for a product that makes you want to bend a bar in half or run through the wall, this is not that product. Again, I can't speak for those who like to double up the suggested dosage, but a single scoop is enough for me to know that I took something to help me through a workout.

Like most of you, I buy it when I can find a decent deal and I usually go with the 60 serving size when purchasing. As of this writing, one of my favorite sites has C4 in the $40-42 range for the 60 serving size. I see that as a pretty good value for those in the single-scoop camp.

Side Effects

I've not experienced any side effects that I can quantify. In fact, I've attributed too-frequent kidney-flushing bathroom trips to other pre-workouts and I've not noticed C4 giving me any problems there.

Conclusion

If you're shopping for "C4" in the expectation of an explosion, you're probably going to be disappointed. If you're thinking of trying it out simply because it's a well-known pre-workout that has a generally good reputation for being safe and somewhat effective, then I'd say that you'll be pleased.