lava135

• Member has been active for 4 years, and was last online 3 weeks ago
  • Linked social media account

Reviews by lava135

Verified Full-Container Use through SR TROOPs.
(Thanks to Protein Factory for sending it out!)
----Introduction----
Beetroot Juice seems to be all the rage these days, especially in the Cross Fit world. Pump products are like so 1995 in the body building world - they've been around for a while. But this really is a different approach in that it uses beetroot powder and red spinach to deliver some of the highest levels of nitrates I've seen in a product. Up to now, most products used amino based nitrates, so this should certainly appeal to those of you who value a more nature approach.

----Ingredient Profile----
Each 20g serving contains 19g of beetroot powder and 1g of red spin...

----Ingredient Profile----
Each 20g serving contains 19g of beetroot powder and 1g of red spinach powder. Inorganic nitrates are listed as well (185mg from the beetroot and 25 from the spinach) - a very nice touch. There's like .3g of flavoring and stevia. Folks, it doesn't get much more natural and simple than this. If you've read my reviews, then you know that I appreciate a minimalistic approach and this fits the bill.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
ok, I warn you right from the jump that this is an acquired taste. It may say berry flavored, but if that's berry then it must come form berries that were grown in Chernobyl. Seriously. Although I found that adding it to juices tends to make it a bit more palatable, I actually got used to it after about a week and it was really no issue for me. But at first, of sweet baby Jesus this stuff was rough...lol.

And it foams. A lot. It will take a few minutes to settle down.

----Effectiveness----
I've got to admit that this stuff is effective. Very effective. And if you take Alex's advice and stack it with something like cit mal, then you've got some really killer vein action popping. Now you're not going to get an ergogenic effect like other stim heavy pwo products but what you will get is increased endurance and circulation which equates to the capacity to do more work. And that's it - if you're capable of putting in the effort, this will yield benefits by provisioning your body to go further, longer.

But what I did receive from this that I don't from other pump products is that overall I felt better the longer I used it. Now maybe there is something to these health nuts and homeopathic products, I don't know, but I feel like I received an overall boost in health and wellness outside the gym as well as in the gym during the time I took this on a daily basis - well certainly about half way into that time, so it could be a cumulative effect.

Protein Factory markets this as a pwo product. Not sure I would ever reach for this as my sole pwo, especially given the fact that i train at 0530. It simply lacks the energy, drive and focus elements that I need at that time of the AM. But it does add other very effective elements that make it worth taking pre workout.

----Value----
ok, so here's where it get's a bit iffy. So a tub of 22 servings costs $49.99. That's roughly $2.25 a serving. If this were a bb style pump product, that would be at the extremely high end. It's twice the price of my favorite, RCSS Stacked NO. But what does resonate with me is that this tended improve overall health and that adds a totally different aspect to the value analysis. So I decided to check out competing beet root products from brands like NeoGenesis Super Beets or Swanson Beet Root Powder or MRM beet Root Powder. First off, only Protein Factory discloses the actual nitrates. Secondly, you have to normalize all the serving sizes to get an accurate price comparison. Here's the results:

MRM - $1.50/serv
Beet Beet Beet - $2.00/serv
Swanson - $2.20/serv
Protein Factory - $2.25/serv
NeoGenesis - $3.25/serv

So you can see that PF is squarely in the middle if price is the sole factor. But for me, it's not. I generally trust PF more than most companies to provide high end raws. So many beet root products get shipped bulk out of China (which is why I didn't even price bulk beet root powder but it does comes in around $1.25/serv if you're interested).

So if I'm purchasing Beet Root Powder, I'm willing to say that PF is an acceptable price point. The real question comes down to whether it's a price point that I'm willing to add into my diet. I will say that I still struggle with the decision. Given the fact that I still need a pwo with more punch, then this merely adds $2.25 to whatever else I take.

----Side Effects----
As Flash pointed out, it has an interesting effect on your bowel movements.

----Conclusion----
This is an interesting and effective supplement. If a pump in the gym was all I was looking for then frankly, I'd stick with Stacked NO. But the fact that this offers other health benefits beyond the gym really intrigues me. I think it's a worthy consideration but I warn you, that taste....lol
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Pump
  • Increased Well Being
  • Taste Is Difficult

Verified Full-Container Use through SR TROOPs.
(Thanks to G2G Bar for sending it out!)
----Introduction----
Confusing? As Sarah Palin is fond of saying "You betcha". Life used to be so much more simple when all we cared about was getting as much protein as humanly possible. Now days, protein bars represent lifestyle choices - is it Paleo, is it low carb, is it gluten free, is it vegan friendly, does it contain soy? Does it have added sugars? Is it whole food? Arrrghhhhh.

----Introduction----

So that leaves us, the consumer to sort out the difference. Is this a good choice? Is it a great choice? It has 18g of protein at 298 calories but Quest has 21g of protein at 190 calories. How about RXBar with 12g protein and 210 calories. Or Julian with 20g of protein and 180 calories? What about those custom YouBars I make with 200 calories and 20g protein? There's so many choices and so much distracting marketing out there. How does this compare? let me start off by saying that it's absolutely a top tier offering, nothing like most of the cheap drek you get in the grocery store or Walmart aisles.

calories: 298
fat: 14g
carbs: 25g (fiber: 4g, sugar: 15g)
protein: 18g

This has a long(er) ingredient list with nut butter typically being the first ingredient followed by whey isolate as the second. It's all natural - although compare to RXBar that has dates, egg whites, almonds, blueberries, cashew, natural blueberry flavor as its only ingredients. The nut butter explains the great texture plus the isolate contributes the primary protein. And kudos on the use of whey isolate instead of the more common soy protein that you find in so many cheaper retail bars.

However, i'm kinda of "meh" on this profile. It's got good ingredients, but that's some pretty high calories, fat and sugar for me. Protein is a touch low but acceptable. On the plus side, things like no preservatives and all natural are great. Frankly things like no refined sugar are a bit of window dressing for me since you've still got 15g of sugar from honey or brown rice syrup or coconut crystals. Call me picky, but I'd love to see half the amount of sugar from the same natural sources. Actually, who am I kidding, I could care less about whether the 15g of carbs comes from table sugar or organiz ethically raised bees. Keep in mind that something like a Hershey Bar has around 215 calories with 14g of fat, 20g of carbs (19 sugar) and 3g of protein. (Although you also should be aware that it's almost half the total weight, lest you think I'm recommending chocolate bars, lol). So at the end of the day, I still count this as a 21g carb, 14g fat and 18g protein product. That comes out to 41% fat, 35% carbs, and 24% protein. I don't know about you guys, but in general, my macros don't look like that.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
These are damn tasty. However, much like protein powder blends, add enough fats and sugars and anything tastes like a milkshake. So it is a trade-off. Give me 300 calories and a kitchen and you'll like what I whip up. Now these aren't YouBar delicious - those fresh bars Fedex to your house stand alone (and at a price point to prove it). But these are certainly one of the better tasting retail bars and much better texture and taste than Quest. About equal with RXBars in my opinion. But again, the higher calorie bars simply taste better and it's not a mystery why.

----Effectiveness----
It's food. That's it. Plain and simple the main reason you go to a bar like this is convenience. Because I can meal prep a snack that will demolish a protein bar on taste, macros and price point. But seriously, at what cost time and labor? And interestingly enough, I'm not sure I can make that claim with protein bars since I can never seem to get them nearly as good as the retail offerings. So yes, these are an effective and efficient way to get macros. How efficient? Well that depends on your goals. So if you're training diet depends on low carb/low sugar, then no, this can't compare to Julian Bakery in the least. Is your diet plant based? Then again, not your bar. But if you diet is the typical mixed macro, mixed food source diet that most of us follow then this could well be a serious choice for you. I found them tasty and filling and obviously capable of delivering energy/calories.

----Value----
These run at about $19.99 for 8 bars for around $2.50 per bar. That's right in range with other normal competitors. Quest goes for $2.10, Julian for $2.50, YouBar for $3.25, RXBar for $2.15. Seriously,the minute price difference doesn't even register with me. If it fits your diet, this has value.

Be just to be clear, whatever value this brings, has to be based on convenience. In almost every case, i can replicate the macros with protein powder and oats at half the cost. So whether it's because you're out on the trail, at work, or throwing one in your book-bag, the primary value for protein bars comes in ease of use and convenience, regardless of the clever ingredient marketing that says things like "Buy Real Food", "Nutrient Rich", "Guilt Free", "Ethical Supply Chain", "Bio-Available Ingredients", etc.

----Conclusion----
Look, protein bars are simple for me. Taste is important; there are too many alternatives out there to settle for including something in your diet that you don't like and won't use consistently. For me, this is superior on those factors. Of course, it's got to fit within your nutritional/lifestyle guidelines. Again, for me, this is too high on total calories and fat and sugars; it actually falls more in to the more healthy choice, indulgent treat category. And finally price point. Since almost all of the likely candidates fall into a similar range, this shouldn't be a problem - if you're willing to spend $2.00 on a protein bar then frankly $2.50 shouldn't even be that much of a concern in my opinion. If it is, then you should be choosing the whey+oats solution I listed above.

I think this is fine Ford/Chevy/Dodge alternative for most of us. While not flashy, it certainly has some sexiness. But it's Detroit and not Milan, so if high end specifics are what you're looking for, then something like Julian or You Bar is probably a better bet.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Taste And Texture
  • Whey Isolate
  • No Preservatives
  • High Sugar
  • High Carb
  • Higher Calories

Verified Full-Container Use through SR TROOPs.
(Thanks to Elemetx for sending it out!)
----Introduction----
First off, my sincere apologies to Elemetx for the delayed review. It was unavoidable due to medical reasons. But hey, look on the bright side - I just read the notice to please post my review, so like, you know, I'm replying immediately. ;)

----Introduction----

Please note that my rating may be a bit goofy and I apologize in advance. I felt that the kindest thing to do was rate this based on two scoops; in that way I could at least show that I believed it to be an effective formula and product and that it had real potential if the price dropped. So yes, the value is low at two scoops, but at one scoop the effectiveness is non-existent for me personally, and I don't think that would have given an accurate picture. Again, my apologies if I erred.

----Ingredient Profile----
This profile has a serious pedigree. a 2:1:1 ratio of instantized BCAA, glutamine and Sustamine, HICA, and Actigin. There's also a few other things such as coconut water, potassium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B5. In my honest opinion, and I'm by no means an SME, if you're bringing a BCAA product then it all starts with the BCAA's. I like the instantized form and I can deal with the 4g. 8g would be far more desirable. I'm a big supporter of NuLivScience and use both ActiGin and Astrigin daily; however, the capsule of ActiGin that I take is 50mg compared to the 10mg here. And finally, also a user of Sustamine and purchase it bulk along with other analogs such as peptide form or other bonded glutamine's. I take about 10g of a mix but I always find it curious that stand alone Sustamine products use 1g serving sizes and blends more commonly use either 250 or 500mg. Although mixed with regular glutamine most studies say increases the effectiveness so it's got that going on for it.

But in general, great ingredients, just really under-dosed for me to consider as a competitive choice at one serving. At two servings, ok, but then again, that impacts value as I will cover later on.

But kudos for the profile - I liked it and I would definitely consider a product that contains these things.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
I loved the bubblegum flavor. It's weird and goofy, just like Seaver. It was actually quite refreshing in 20oz of ice cold water. Very little foaming. Very little grit. Well done.

I started with 1 scoop but felt that it was less effective than other products I was using so I increased to two scoops. Now if you go through my review history, you'll see that I try everything to stick to the recommended serving size. But for me at a Shamu like 270 lbs; it just wasn't cutting it. I suspect many other larger lifters might find the same results.

----Effectiveness----
I use an intra more of insurance - focusing on chronic effects rather than acute. And like Ron said in his review - I just don't think this would be something I would reach for at one scoop. At two scoops I think it matched up fine with my other choices. I currently use my own mix of PeptoPro, AjiPure BCAA's, the glutamine blend, etc so really it's not fair to compare it to that blend (thanks to Omega Sports Strive blowing away any price sanity that I might have once possessed). But what I'm saying is that for me, and my training needs, and intra is really important. I mean REALLY important. And this has some benefits - great flavor and consistency and great raw materials, just not enough at one scoop. It did provide endurance and recovery for me at two scoops and tasted fantastic, so that's a real benefit.

I can over look the minor issues with dosing in the profile if something is effective. But it simply wasn't for me at 1 scoop. That's really the end of the story. Fortunately I tried 2 scoops and found that it compared very favorably to other top shelf products - something to keep in mind if money's of no consequence (you know, for people like Frankie.)

----Value----
This is where the wheel come off the bus. I mean really came off the bus and rolled down into the gully. This sells for $38 (the price has dropped) for 25 servings at one scoop. If you can use one scoop, then that's $1.52 per serving. That's on the high side of intra products. Entry level amino/intra products sell for around .75 per serving. If you have to use 2 scoops, then it's not even in the realm of consideration at $3.04 per serving.

Compare against Omega Sports Strive, which I mentioned earlier - you get 40 servings for $45 or NutraBio Intra-Blast which is 30 servings for $36 - two products that I get stellar results from and come in around twice the active ingredients -EliteAmine is a 7g scooop size and these average 16+grams, I don't think it's any mystery why it compares favorably in effectiveness at two scoops - you just have to use enough to compare to the big boys. But the value just isn't there at this price range. Sorry guys.

----Conclusion----
Like I said - loved the ingredients, hated the price. And yes, price does matter. When other top shelf intra products such as Strive or NutraBio Intra-Blast bring so much more per scoop at the same price point, it makes it impossible for me to recommend this. Which is a shame because it's a solid entry into the market with superior flavor and consistency. Change the price or size to make it affordable at two scoops and I'll give it two thumbs up.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Muscle Soreness
  • Fully Disclosed
  • Quality Ingredients
  • Improved Endurance
  • Some Underdosed Ingredients
  • Poor Value
  • Requires 2 Servings For Effectiveness

Verified Full-Container Use through SR TROOPs.
(Thanks to VMI Sports Nutrition for sending it out!)
----Introduction----
My apologies to VMI for the delayed review. I've been out for a while with medical issues but this was the product I wanted to write my first review back on because of how much I enjoy it.

----Ingredient Profile----
Others have done a fine job of discussing the details of the ingredient profile so I'll give a brief overall view and then focus on what stood out for me. Like others, I'm not a fan of prop blends. But when something is really effective for me, I tend to be forgiving.

----Ingredient Profile----

The Pump Blend is curious to me because it really doesn't have many of the usual suspects in pump products. It's got beta alanine, which I typically consider strength/endurance boosting, taurine and theobromine - so for me these are things I see more in energy mixes in other products. No nitrates, glycine, agmatine or betaine, which all more common. So I'm pretty "meh" on the whole pump blend.

Now the Focal Kinetic Matrix, that's another story. I love nootropics and I respond well to them. This has pikatropin and choline bitartrate and I felt like they made a difference. Add in a whole slew of stims such as caffeine, dicaffeine maleate and higenamine and I got a very effective mental focus and boost. I liked it and I like the selection of ingredients.

Now like I said, it's in 2 prop blends: the first is 3.25g and the second is 1.0215g. Let's face it, other than comparing the standard 3.2g of beta alanine, we really don't have reliable baselines for the rest. For me, the bottom line was that based on use it was effective for me so the ingredient profile passes the muster.

Note: I'm told this has 400mg of caffeine; I haven't verified it but if so, then wow, it's really, really smooth for that much stim.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
I loved this stuff. I loved all 3 flavors and found them not too sweet, especially given the bicarbonate that's been added to give them that Alka Seltzer type fizz. Now I realize some guys may find that a negative, but for me, I thought it was really unique and groovy. And I'm 3 tubs in and haven't grown tired of it yet. There was a bit more sedimentation in the blend than usual, so perhaps that's a quality/manufacturing issue, but again, more than acceptable.

I dosed with a single scoop every time and felt it was a true one scoop pwo.

----Effectiveness----
I train in the AM at 0530 so stim and focus elements are very important for me. In fact, I can barely get out of my walker these days without dat caffeine, lol. (ok, I'm not really in a walker.) Like I said, I used a single scoop about 15-20 minutes before hitting the gym and felt that I received a consistent mental focus and energy boost. Nothing jittery, nothing cracked out, and nothing that faded. That's gold for me. It's important for me to say that I am generally pretty stim tolerant so your results may not be the same, but for me, it was smooth as velvet.

I especially liked the nootropics - they always help me remain calm but alert, if that makes sense. And that lets me focus on form without acting like a total chuckle-head. No, I didn't want to go skin a grizzly bear with my Bowie knife, but I did leave the gym feeling as alert as I did when i got there, so that's a big plus; no crash like so many other high stim products.

I got like zero pump from this. Zero. But pump is a cosmetic thing for me and the benefits of energy and focus blow pump out of the water.

----Value----
You can get this right around $29-$30 per 30 serving tub. And since I only used a single scoop, it was a true 30 servings. That's a dollar per serving which is right in my acceptable zone. One of my other go-to pwo products is Isatori Pre-Gro and that's $40 for 30 servings (I use two scoops) so this is $10 cheaper - a number that I don't even sweat if it's effective. $10 a month? meh, I blow that on beef jerky. So i rate this a very good value.

----Conclusion----
This was my first product from VMI Sports and I found it to be superior. Like I said, I vote with my money and I went out and bought 3 more tubs after this one. That's as good a recommendation as a cheap baztard like me can give! I loved the flavor and fizz but I benefited from the focus and energy. Give it a try!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Focus
  • Smooth Energy
  • No Crash
  • Great Flavor
  • Liked The Fizz

Verified Full-Container Use through SR TROOPs.
    (Thanks to Performax Labs for sending it out!)
    ----Introduction----
    I love creatine. I love Dreamsicles. This had to be a win-win proposal, right? Perhaps, but then the price got involved and I was like, "damn". Also, I think creatine is so key that it's really worthy of consideration all on it's own. While I understand that companies may feel they have to add things to drive up the price/profit, at some point it jsut becomes counter product because a person will go buy a pwo product instead. And yes, I've often said that creatine is a supplement manufacturer's worst nightmare - it's the most studied/tested and proven product out there and it's also the most inexpensive.

POWER
    5g creatine blend - mono + magnesium chelate. I'm not even a little concerned with the blend here.
    2.5g betaine - nice!
    l-alanyl l-glutamine - a preferred form of glutamine but still perhaps a bit light even for sustamine

PUMP
    3.1g blend of taurine, glycerol(65), COP, and selaginella tamariscina - no idea about that last one and frankly I always quesiton the inclusion of exotic herbals.

Electrolytes - 500mg - meh; pretty standard stuff

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
    I had the orange dream and I must say this was heavenly. Nailed it - I could drink this flavor all day long. Mixing was fine with full dispersion and little to no grits (one caveat is that I mix all my creatine in lukewarm water). So 10's across the board in these categories. I dosed 1 scoop per day in-line with label instructions.

----Effectiveness----
    I found this to be equally effective as the rest of my creatine products. I did not see a loss of strength or power. I also did not experience any bloating, which is a big plus. Now, I take creatine 365 days anyway so I can't judge whether or not there is the need to load, but for someone like myslef who is already at saturation, this didn't skip a beat.

Now Performax has added "Recovery" as an added benefit of this product and I feel that there is not much added value above straight creatine with just the addition of 2.5g of glutamine. You would have to be a really strong responder to glutamine and let's face it, it's priced higher than straight glutamine, just as it's priced higher than straight creatine. Although like I said, it is sustamine, which is a more preffered form of glutamine for most.

What I did like is the addition of betaine, something that I feel really helps me with performance.

The pump blend was pretty "meh". Typically I'll use 6-8g of cit mal and/or agmatine and even then it's iffy. I didn't get much from this 3.1g, if anything. However, since pump isn't that important to me, I didn't let this detract from the effectiveness score. In my opinion, it's still a creaitne product and the job of creatine is, well, to be creatine, lol.

----Value----
    Note: at the time of this review, the pricing links point to a different product, Performax CreaMax so the prices don't reflect the actual product. I found this for $29.95. Now that's $1 per serving and yes, even though I love the addition of betaine and am ok with the addition of the pump ingredients, it's just not enough bang for the buck in my value scale. It's really tough to justify spending $30 for this when that same money gets you almost 6 months of Creapure. Bottom line is that I wouldn't purchase this at the current price.

----Conclusion----
    Price takes this out of consideration for a recommendation. For those of you to whom money is no matter, then this is good to go. It's got everything I want to see in a creatine+ product and the flavor is out of this world delicious. On the surface, I was really biased to give this a recommendation, and that's reflected in my high score for effectiveness. But the high price just really, really forced my hand to do otherwise. Lower the price and this would get two thumbs up.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Tastes Great
    • Effective

Verified Full-Container Use through SR TROOPs.
    (Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!)
    ----Introduction----
    I love the opportunity to review amino products. I practice peri-workout nutrition, so a solid intra product is my bread and butter. Butta, I said!

----Ingredient Profile----

Ok, so this is NutraBio. That means full GMP testing - on site clean rooms - the full nine yards. No Chinese barrel rolling in the loading dock and home boys scooping into da ghetto bags. Nah, full disclosure and efficacious dosages holmes. Sorry but for me, intra products are all about the bcaa's and the recovery. All about keeping da choo-choo rollin down dem traks brahs. They are actually probobly the largest part of my supplementation.

NutraBio comes corrKt With 7200 mg of bcaas. That's 7.2 grams. As a guy that's been known to add 10-15g bcaa's to his own formula, I can appreciate that. As a guy that's had to take 3-4 scoops of some weak azz shizzle from another company, I can appreciate that. So hellz yeah, 7.2 is a tad under what the Lava wants, but it got da job done. Maybe its dat other 3g of aminos, good stuff like like dat dere lysine or theonine or histindine or methionine or phenalylaline or tryptophan but the mix delivered. No doubt about it - 10gs of amino goodness. Word to your mother.

Add in the 5gs of glutamine, 2 gs of betaine, 1 g of OKG (i LOVES) + electrolytes and we talkin money holmes. MONEY!

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
    I had the passion fruit and I found it no problem to sip on. End of story. I use a typical grey water bottle instead of a shaker cup an I had no bitcxz azz junior high prom queen problemz with dem stainz. Seriously - none. Look brahs, you gots problems with stainin, I recoomendz ya use dem Tampax and quit a bitchin. The flavor was on point and the total container left no ill effects on ma hardware. I used this straight up one scoop per serving with ma normla additionz of one scoopz dat PeproProz. #Winning

----Effectiveness----
    I found that using this as an intra produced on-point effects as promised. Fuller sets, longer endurance, no dehydration. I was able to perform my normal progressive training routine without undue soreness - and that's the only message worth delivering brahs. I lifted heavy and I lifted on schedule. At the end of the day I was able to keep to ma chart. I didn't have to skip days. END OF STORY BRAHS.. Some of you have asked for more on effectiveness, but I tell you race car bed momos, what more is there to say than I could lift brahs, I COULD LIFT. On a more serious note, this supported recovery perfectly, and what I can't understand, is that even if I had to burn a shaker due to the stainz, what else is there for an amino product other than recovery/performance? Why else use an intra but to lift? I'd throw away endless shaker cups if it delivered the ability to hit reps on dat dere 405 bench. And whether we're talking next day recovery or even intra set recovery, I found this to be a perfect product for my needs. So brah, DO YOU EVEN LIFT?

----Value----This sells for right around $31.90 or $1.00 per servings. Pffft. if you think that's anything other than money well spent. The peace of minD of having NutraBio's GMP standards and on-site QA is worth that all on it's own. Nuff said. Seriously, all joking aside, focus on the quality. What good does cheap azz ingredients do you - this is top shelf.

.----Conclusion----
    Money, I said it once, I'll say it again. If you lift, you love this. It provides aminos in abundance plus more. Look no further.

And while I wrote this review in a colorful fashion, you would be hard pressed to find a more reputable production and quality process than NutraBio - that means that what they say in is IntraBlast, really is. I found the level amounts of aminos to be acceptable and the additions of value-adds such as the OKG and electrolytes to be of benefit. This is a product that I will continue to purchase as it provides perfect support for my training needs.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Superb Taste
    • Helps With Recovery
    • Increases Hydration
    • Reduces Doms
    • Rehydrates

Verified Full-Container Use through SR TROOPs.
      (Thanks to SD Pharmaceuticals for sending it out!)
      ----Introduction----
      This is yet another in the body of growing reviews that might lead SD to re-examine their price point. I use BCAA products throughout the day as a healthier replacement to retail beverages - so I'm always up for trying flavorered BCAA products.

----Ingredient Profile----
      Again, a fully disclosed and amazingly simple formula; each 5.7g serving/scoop contains:

1500mg leucine
      1000mg valine
      834mg isoleucine

5mg Astrigin

1500mg leucine
      1000mg valine
      834mg isoleucine

5mg Astrigin

As I've said before, I love Astrigin but it's totally under-dosed and is not something to even consider at that dose. Not sure about the 45:30:25 ratio; totally researched or not or by whom, there's little wrong with the traditional 2:1:1 ratio that's served us so well for decades.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
      I had the pineapple and I loved it. Totally loved it. I often mixed it with PeptoPro and cit mal and it made a great intra. Whether mixing it, or drinking as a standalone, I used 2 scoops.

----Effectiveness----
      I found this to be equally effective when taken in equal amounts to other products. Really that's all there is - good recovery and a good compliment to my training. I highly recommend taking BCAAs and I have no problem with the effectiveness of this product in delivering.

----Value----
      Look, the hands-down, no doubt, Rolls Royce of BCAA products is AjiPure Fusi-BCAA. Ajinomoto is the undisputed king of purity and quality. However a small canister of their product sets you back $29.99 for 39 5g servings. This product sets you back $26.00 for 30 3.3g (actual BCAA) servings as well. It's really no contest. You can get Muscle Feast unflavored BCAAs for $12 for 200g or 400g of NutraBio flavorerd BCAA for $25. So compared to these competitors, the 100g of BCAA that SD Pharma provides just doesn't make the cut.

----Conclusion----
      It's jsut too expensive. Sorry guys. I would not purchase on my own and as a result I cannot recommend at this price point.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Faster Recovery
      • Reduced Fatigue

Verified Full-Container Use through SR TROOPs.
      (Thanks to SD Pharmaceuticals for sending it out!)
      ----Introduction----
      SD Pharma calls themselves the single ingredient specialists and this is their citrulline malate - most commonly used as a pump product. I use a more simple format to review for a bulk supplement and keep it short and sweet.

----Ingredient Profile----
      Each 3g scoop contains 2g of cit mal and 2.5mg of Astrigin. That's leave the rest from maltodextrin and silcon dioxide to prevent caking.

Highlights:
      **Not thrilled about the maltodextrin but can live with it

Highlights:
      **Not thrilled about the maltodextrin but can live with it
      **The 2.5mg of Astrigin is significantly under-dosed if you go by the manufacturer's specs which recommends 50mg.

**Taste was unflavored.
      **Acceptable mixing - no real foaming or grit.
      **Suggested dose is 1 scoop (2g). Normally I use 6-8g of cit mal so I went with 3 scoops.

----Effectiveness----
      This was equally effective with other brands of bulk cit mal that I've used. The biggest benefits touted from cit mal products are pump (as evidence by vascularity) and delayed fatigue. I received acceptable results in both categories. While cit mal isn't my only tool for avoiding fatigue, it is my only pump ingredient, so I was more than satisfied with the results. Not insane vascularity, but certainly noticeable.

----Value----
      Typically this sells for around $25. That's 220g of cit mal (or 110 scoops) at $25. If I buy bulk cit mal from Muscle Feast, I get 200g for $12 - so that's half the price. Any frankly, I don't consider 2.5mg of Astrigin worth the price difference. If you want Astrigin, well, buy Astrigin - you can get 300mg for less than $30. Likewise, you can get Genomyx Cit Mal for $13 for 200g (actually you can get 600g of Genomyx Cit Mal on bb.com for $26 right now). So there are far more affordable choices out there and ultimately, it's the price point that kills this.

----Conclusion----
      This is an effective product that suffers from a price point that's twice as large as it's competitors. It's addition of Astrigin is too low to make up the price difference. There's really no need to examine this further. Sorry guys, can't recommend.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Decent Pump

Verified Full-Container Use through SR TROOPs.
      (Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!)
      ----Introduction----
      For those people who train seriously, the need for carbs shouldn't even be an issue. Most of us rely on glycogen for everything other than 1-2 rep sets and light walking. Sure, there's keto and other variations, but like I said, for most of us, carbs help us get the most out of our training. So who wouldn't be interested in a carb that claims to offer accelerated glycogen replenishment with no bloat and added electrolytes for hydration? And HBCD carb sources have been around for a while, but really came to prominence vis-a-vis John Meadows and Mountain Dog Training. Enter NutraBio into the HBCD arean...

----Ingredient Profile----

Each 25.8 contains 100 calories from 25g of highly branched cyclic dextrin and then 825mg of electrolytes. And just in case you missed it, that mean zero fillers or additives. Total disclosure, no fillers, what more could you want. Top notch.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
      Mixing was easy, total dispersion and no grit. Flavor was orange mango and I found it to be refreshing and very easy too dink - maybe jsut a tad sweet but that was easily adjusted with more water. Mixed clear in ice water. Perfect.

I typically used 1-2 scoops per shaker.

----Effectiveness----
      ok, so we've already had the waxy maize vs maltodextrin vs rice syrup solids vs Vitargo fads. Is HBCD all that and a bag of chips? You can find studies saying "yes" and studies saying "no". Nothing surprising there. What did I find? I found it was a perfect carb for my intra drink which is 25g of SuperCarb and 20g of PeptoPro. There was zero bloating. It looked, felt and tasted just like Gatorade, which for me, was the key. I HATE drinking anything that's thick during training - even whey is an issue. So the combination of SuperCarb and PeptoPro provided me with a benefit beyond what's on the label - highly drinkable and refreshing. I got excellent energy, no bloating and it absolutely fit with my training nutrition plan. It also didn't fill me up and since I train at 0530 every AM, allows me to get a faster carb source into my system without having to wait for something heavier like oatmeal to digest. Really, while I am in no way, shape or form an elite athlete, it's functionally perfect for my training needs.

----Value----
      Typical price for bulk HBCD from TrueNutrition is $12.69 per pound. Other super carb products such as Vitargo S2 go for around $15-20 per pound. High end blends such as BioTest Plazma are $20+ per pound. So at first blush, it looks like NutraBio is coming in right in line with TrueNutrition with a $15 per pound price point. But I really think that you have to also include good ole maltodextrin and oats and other more low end carb sources in your analysis. You can get those at $3.00 per pound, no sweat. So the real question is whether or not you can benefit from the claims made by super carbs in the first place. If you're an elite athlete, then by all means, try this - although, I know plenty of elite athletes who swear by oatmeal as a carb source. If you suffer from bloating and perhaps poorly assimilate carbs, then yes, give it a try. If you're looking for a perfect intra carb, and like me, don't mind paying a surplus, yes. But if you're Joe New Year just looking to hit ma bench brah and git swole, probably not; stick with maltodextrin. Now I don't do HIT cardio or endurance but if I did, then I would want to give this a go. At least I'd try it for a single tub just to see how it worked.

So I'll rate the value an "8" as an average but perhaps a more accurate scale would be 9.5 for someone who qualifies above and 5.0 for the average Joe.

----Conclusion----
      An expensive, but extremely high quality HBCD offering. If the money isn't an issue, I don't think you'll find a better choice for a super carb on the market.
      • True Label Disclosure
      • High Quality
      • No Bloat
      • Improved Recovery

Verified Full-Container Use through SR TROOPs.
      (Thanks to apsu nutrition for sending it out!)
      ----Introduction----

I take vitamins. Really that's it, lol. I'm not an expert on all the things that really matter such as sourcing, forms, raws, dosage, etc. 99.99% of us aren't. But what I can do is offer my unscientific and anecdotal thoughts on why I like this product:

----Ingredient Profile----

I'm not going to go too deep into the actual ingredients because frankly, micros aren't might area of expertise. What I do know is that dose and quality does matter. But this contains the expected vitamin and mineral components. I will say that it's a bit light on two of the ingredients I look for the most: zinc and magnesium. And I prefer them both in citrate forms (generally better absorption I'm told), so that's good for the magnesium but not so much for the zinc (sulfate). But this does also include a super food blend and an enzyme complex so perhaps that balances out the absorption factors. This also contains a joint complex and anti-inflammatories. And taken as a whole I rate this as a very solid choice for most active people.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
      I really liked that this is only two tablets - easy to take, no burprs or aftertaste and relatively easy to swallow. Compared with other vitamins that require 9 horse-pill sized tablets, I'm thrilled at the convenience and ease of use of a single daily dose of 2 tabs.

I really didn't see much of an impact one way or the other from the joint support. Fortunately, that's really not something that's important for me in choosing a multi so I call it a push on joint support.

----Effectiveness----

I agree with APSU's mantra of using a vitamin in conjunction with healthy diet. For me vitamin's are an insurance policy; I still try to rely upon a healthy and well balanced diet in order to get my minerals and vitamins.

Perhaps the most helpful insight I can offer is that I've gone the way of using high shelf vitamins such as Garden of Life and at almost 3 times the price, I simply did not get a noticeable benefit in comparison to how I felt on APSU. Now granted, I've just taken 1 month, but I've already placed an order to use these for longer.

And like others, I place a good bit of faith in the change in the color of my urine when on a vitamin and this product did not impact it at all, which is an important plus for me.

----Value----
      I think this is an excellent value. You can get one month for $18.90 on Amazon (with Prime shipping) or get 3 bottles from the manufacturer for $17.30 a bottle and free shipping. A great value either way.

----Conclusion----
      Like I said - a solid choice for a multi. The gold standard for me is whether or not I'll buy it on my own and that's just what I did. Take it for what it's worth, but that's my highest endorsement.
      • Good Profile
      • Easy To Swallow
      • Once A Day Use

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.