Ultra Peptide 2.0 Reviews

By: Xtreme Formulations

Protein > Casein Protein
Ultra Peptide 2.0 is a Casein Protein Powder manufactured by Xtreme Formulations. It utilizes the slowest digesting form of protein. Often used for a time released version of protein, it will help increase muscle recovery and strength.

Only 4 Reviews - Waiting for more trustworthy reviews

September 22, 2011

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Amazing Taste
  • Great Profile
  • Best Casein Protein
    I got a 2lb tub of this to take before bed because I heard it was the best tasting casein blend on the market.

Taste-wise, yeah, it's pretty great. I got the cinnamon roll flavor and never got tired of the flavor like I have with say, ON's Vanilla Pro Complex (which I'll be reviewing as soon as I can choke the rest of the tub down). With milk it's like drinking a melty milkshake, but I usually just used water when I made mine because it tasted just as good and is a tad bit cheaper that way.

There's 18g of (casein) protein in one scoop/serving, as well as 6%DV of sodium and 12%DV of total fats along with about 4g of sugar. It's got a lot of calcium (30%DV) and a dash of creatine (about as much as a steak, according to XF's literature) along with a little taurine. Overall a pretty solid profile for a casein product-- for the sake of comparison it looks like ON's 100% Casein has less fat, double the sodium and no taurine or creatine. In this case I prefer the higher calorie, lower sodium blend of Ultra Peptide, because most food has a ton of salt in it as it is and the extra creatine and taurine are a great bonus!

As far as mixability is concerned, it mixes well in both water and milk in a shaker cup, though I always ended up with a little of the powder sticking to the bottom/sides of the shaker. Casein has a mottled cookies and cream appearance when you mix it up and obviously, Peptide delivers in this respect.

One issue is that you can only get this in 2lb tubs which can be inconvenient, but since I don't take casein every night (usually only on workout/calorie deficit days) I found that the 2lb tub lasted me a little over a month which worked out to something like .75 a day, all told. Not bad at all, really.

Given that this stuff is price-competitive with other casein blends, I can't recommend it enough if you're looking for it, especially since I've heard that casein can be pretty foul if you get the wrong flavor.

June 6, 2011

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Amazing Taste
    • Phenominal Mixability
    • Best Flavours
    • Not Enough Servings
    This may probably be the only supplement from me that gets 10/10/10 review. First off, let me start by saying this is THE BEST tasting casein protein HANDS DOWN.

As we all know, Micellar Casein protein is very different from whey protein in the way it is digested. Whey Protein is digested in your body within the first hour (variable, dependent on body type, but generally it is upwards of one hour) of intake. Micellar Casein protein is a slow digesting protein that takes UP TO 8 hours to digest. Common sources of casein protein includes milk, cottage cheese, and even peanut butter!

But....why would you want a slow digesting protein, you ask????

Well, for starters, casein protein is essential to muscle growth. Sleep is the time when your muscles grow the most, which means your body will require nutrients at a higher level than normal. Your body will try and get these required nutrients any way possible, sometimes even BREAKING DOWN MUSCLE (catabolism) in exchange for the amino acids needed for fuel and other functions.

How do we prevent this? Easy. Casein protein. The slow digesting protein will slowly digest throughout the night and your muscles won't be broken down.

Xtreme Formulations does a great job of this. While most casein proteins generally function and digest the same, Xtreme Formulations has THE BEST tasting casein from all the other brands I have tried. I won't name them and bash them because they are great brands.

Since this is slow-digesting, I will SOMETIMES replace a snack / meal with a casein protein shake. What I do is use 2 scoops of Xtreme Formulations casein protein, 6-8 ounces of 1% milk, ice cubes, crushed almonds, 1 scoop of FAT FREE chocolate (or vanilla) ice cream, and 1 banana. Sometimes I will even add 1 tablespoon of honey. It tastes excellent and you can add other ingredients such as a strawberry or even peanut butter!

The flavors I have tried of this supplement are Chocolate, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Banana Creme, and Cinnamon Roll. All these flavors are EXTREMELY DELICIOUS. When you drink the shake, you just think to yourself "how the hell can this be good for me?" I think about that all the time! (lol). But it is indeed VERY good for you!

My only cons about this is that there are not enough servings (24 servings per 2LB jug with a serving size of 1 scoop), and they only go up to a 2LB jug, which is insufficient in my opinion. They used to sell a 10lb bag but they stopped making them. Their (Xtreme Formulations) website usually has what's called a "Hugeness Sale" where it will sell wholesale (like 5-6) jugs at a discounted price per jug, and you can even choose more than 1 flavor. This is a very good deal.

Overall, this is an excellent casein protein, and the best tasting brand. The value for the 2LB jug is decent, but it is well worth it. I will never take another brand of casein ever again.

Feel free to ask any questions about casein protein, when to take it, etc etc, and I will try and answer to the best of my knowledge!

April 13, 2011

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Amazing Taste
    • Phenominal Mixability
    • Best Flavours
    • Inepensive
    • Great Profile
    • Not Enough Servings
    First review here has to be one of my favourite products. Having tried most of the top time release/casein products out there, such as ON 100% Casein/ Cytosport Complete Casein/ Muscle Pharm Combat/ Nitocore-24 and BSN Syntha-6, I thought I would switch thinks up after hearing all the brilliant hype and try Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide 2.0 lemon cream pie flavour.

Effectiveness 10/10- Just One scoop leaves you feeling full without that bloat feel from some of the other types of time release/casein products out there. I would have one serving 60/90mins before bed and wouldn't wake up the following morning as hungry. Its also a brilliant product for a meal replacement during the day or if your craving something sweet, using as a meal replacement I would use 6oz s milk & 2 scoops ice cream and mix up in a blender, throw in some ice cubes, yeah buddy.

Mixability 10/10- One of the best mixing protein products I've ever seen, the texture of the powder is of the highest quality, with most casein products its hard to get the right ratio of water/milk to mix and end up getting a very thick texture, kind of like trying to drink a yoghurt, or else you get bits of clumps and gooey mixed powder stuck around the shaker cup. Not with this mixes both easily with water or milk, when mixing with milk though make sure to add a bit more milk than you would with water. I had absolutely no problems with mixing 6/9oz water or milk and you'll not go wrong.

Taste 11/10- Yeah this smash the ratings bar the tastes that good! I challenge you to find a better tasting Micellar Casein product out there, simply answer not possible. I was thinking a lemon cream pie flavour protein what your joking that cant be nice, wrong what a flavour, even with water it tastes like a proper milkshake, but with milk = heaven in a glass.

Overall 10/10- This product can be used if your cutting/bulking whatever your goal is even if you just want a top nutritional tasting drink, you cant go wrong with this product with 173kcal, 18g Protein, 5g Carbs & 9g Fat per scoop. Just about to open the cinnamon bun flavour.

December 3, 2010

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Amazing Taste
      XF's UP 2.0 is quite simply, my absolute favorite protein on the market today. Everyone knows you need to be using a good whey protein, but casein (also a milk protein derivative) is just as important. I take it at night to feed my muscles while I sleep, and the taste of the XF Cinnamon Roll is so good, I literally look forward to drinking it down. It literally tastes as close to a Cinabon as you are going to get. Now the thing to know about casein is that it's going to be a little thicker and chalkier than whey, but compared to Optimum's casein, the XF product is far more palatable. The other advantage when compared with the ON is that it contains some whey isolates and a little bit of good fat, which makes it a viable meal replacement in addition to being a pre-bedtime staple. Price is comparable to Optimum, I paid about $30 for a 2-lb tub. If you aren't taking casein, you should definitely consider adding it to your diet, and Ultra Peptide 2.0 is about as good as it gets.