whey_d sachets Reviews

By: whey_d

Protein > Whey Protein
whey_d sachets is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by whey_d. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

January 9, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Convenient Packets
  • GMO-Free
  • Grass Fed Cows
  • Too Expensive For US Buyers
Good afternoon folks. Today I'm here to review a product from across the pond. Until I received this product via the sr.com TROOP program I had never had a supplement from overseas. When I saw a chance to try it I thought it would be a unique chance to try something that my fellow international gym rats may already be aware of. I, also liked the idea of using individual packets instead of a scooper. This made it easier to know exactly what I was getting.

The ingredient profile on the back of the satchet was difficult to read. It took me a minute to figure it out. Once I did I realized you got 20g's of protein in every packet. What's even better is you only get .6 carbs. I like that because I don't like a lot of carbs in my protein powders unless I am drinking one for recovery. It also carries calcium, potassium, salt, fiber, and sugar. It even contains an amino profile that shows you what amino's you are getting and how much. Fully disclosed label is awesome to me. Big plus!!The protein source in this product is hydrolysed whey protein isolate from Irish grass fed cows. Hydrolysed whey isolate is supposed to digest more quickly.

Taste- I was sent strawberries and cream and chocolate to try. It had been a long time since I had strawberry and I forgot how good it can taste. Both the chocolate and strawberry tasted as I expected.

Mixability- Both flavors seem to mix well. Didn't notice any grittiness, frothiness, or clumping.

Dosing- I always drank one in the morning. It was quick and convenient.

Like I have stated in previous reviews, I have a hard time judging protein powders. I usually judge them on their profile, taste, mixing and price. If I notice an increase in DOMs while taking it I will note that as well. I didn't notice any difference in the DOMS I had after some of my harder workouts so that's good to me. I didn't notice any issues with my training regiment either. I kept the same strength and endurance as before I took it. I didn't notice any decrease in soreness after playing any basketball though either. I thought that wouldn't be the case with the amino's it has in it but it was.

For the individual who is in a serious cut regiment right now this product might benefit you. Having a satchet to just dump into your shaker gives you the exact amount you are looking for. No guessing on how much you might have gone under/over on the protein with a scooper. If you are the kind that weighs your protein then this takes the weighing out of it for you because the label tells you that you are getting 24g's.

Value is a little tricky. It's from overseas so you have to figure in international shipping. It would seem this would make it out of your price range unless you live over in the UK where you don't have to pay the shipping costs. Looks like you can buy as little as one for $2 or as many as 15 satchets for $1.66 each. Combine that with shipping to the Us though, and you're looking at quite a bit more than you would pay for a 2lb tub here in the US. In the end it's your decision, but I couldn't justify paying that.

Side Effects

Didn't notice any

Conclusion

In conclusion, let me say thanks to SR.com and Whey'd for providing this product for us folks here in the states to try. It did not disappoint. If stores in the US ever start carrying it I will probably pick up a few satchets. Otherwise, the cost of shipping will keep me from being able to spend that kind of money on a protein powder. I love the individual satchets. The taste was good and the ingredient profile couldn't be beat. You guys keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing what other supplements you put out there. Thanks.
  • Chocolate: 9/10
  • Strawberries and Cream: 9/10

December 23, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Convenient Packets
  • GMO-Free
  • Grass Fed Cows
  • Informed Sport
  • Improved Recovery
  • Too Expensive For US Buyers

When I first saw whey'd come up for review I was intrigued by the packaging and that it came from the UK. I haven't seen a protein product that solely came from packets (I'm sure there are others out there). Since a lot of my protein drinking is on the go I decided to give these a try. Here is the review.

Each serving of whey'd comes in a small sachet that weighs about 24g. This sachet contains one serving that has 86 calories, 0.3g of fat, 0.6g carbohydrates, and 20g of protein. In addition, each sachet also breaks down the BCAA content so for each serving. In each serving, you are getting 2.3g of leucine, 1.7g of isoleucine, and 1.5g of valine. I liked that they broke it down like this so altogether you are getting about 5.5g of BCAA from the one serving. I was quite surprised by how lean this was only coming in at 86 calories for 20g of protein.

The protein source in this product is hydrolysed whey protein isolate from Irish grass fed cows. The main thing with hydrolysed whey isolate is that it is supposed to digest more quickly, which a lot of people like post workout. The next ingredient is soy lecithin as an emulsifier, many protein powders include this in it. Next up is cocoa, flavouring, salt and sucralose as the sweetener. There was one ingredient I haven't seen before in a protein and that is the stabilizer known as carboxymethylcellulose. At first I had no idea what this was but then I looked it up and it is also known as cellulose gum. A lot of protein powders include these gums and some of the most common are xanthan, acacia, and guar gums. Overall, I liked the ingredient profile especially the leanness of the macros.

I was sent both the strawberries & cream and the chocolate flavor for review. The strawberries & cream has a very distinct smell that matches the flavor exactly. It has a rich strawberry taste that is followed by a cream finish. The chocolate has a rich chocolate smell and the taste is definitely more rich and not as sweet as other chocolates I have had. Out of these two flavors the strawberries and cream is the clear winner (and I usually am a chocolate person). Both flavors mixed fine with water and I had no problems putting them in water bottles. As far as dosing goes, I used these to fill my protein macros. However, I mostly used them between the gym and cardio as they digested quite quickly.

When I look to categorize a protein powder I always put them under food as I use them to fill my protein macros. So, it is hard to to pinpoint the effectiveness of a protein supplement. What I will usually do is see if I notice any subtle dips or improvements with my training regime. I felt that with whey'd I definitely noticed some improvement in my recovery. This was most notable with my running that I do. Three days a week I will workout at the gym and then go to the park for cardio. Between the gym and park I would usually have a protein shake but some shakes won't digest that fast and my run suffers. However, with whey'd I never felt weighed down at the park and felt like I digested it quickly (or it at least left my stomach fast). This helped me increase the intensity of my runs and it gave me a small energy boost.

I also found this effective for the convenience sachet. I will usually scoop my protein powder into my blender bottle and add water to it later in the day when I am ready to drink it. What I notice is that with some protein powders they won't mix as well or powder will get stuck at the bottom corners. However, with the whey'd sachet this never happened. Now, I know I could just get one of those funnels but I had a few leak on me in the past. It honestly was just convenient to have the sachet and it was already portioned. When I really start cutting I will weigh out my protein powder since scoops aren't always accurate. This weighing can get messy especially since I usually do it early in the AM. So, having the sachet helped a lot with convenience. I will note I did weigh the whey'd powder and they filled them accurately. I also found these to be an effective way to fill my protein macros because of the lean macro profile.

Before I even get into value I just want to note that this is a UK based company so all prices on their website are British pound. In addition, I will also note that in order for the product to ship to the US the shipping cost is 20.00 or $26.00. Whey'd comes in either one sachet for 2.00 ($2.67), five sachets for 10.00 ($13.36), and fifteen sachets 25.00 ($33.40). If buying the fifteen sachets you are looking at 1.66 ($2.22) per sachet. There is also subscription options that are available for a person's particular dosage needs. For example, if you only take protein on workout days there is a 5x per week subscription for 35 ($46.76) per month. I actually really like the idea of the subscription especially since the product comes in serving sized sachet.

I'll be honest I am having a difficult time rating the value of this product. I love the different subscription options (2x per day, 1x per day, 5x per week, and 3x per week). I also like how lean the profile is and the convenient sachet. Since I am in the US this is just too expensive in my opinion to use on a weekly/daily basis as a protein supplement. However, if I lived in the UK, I would probably subscribe to this at the 5x or 3x per week plan.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

Whey'd is a really unique protein powder that I really enjoyed taking. I loved how it came in pre portioned sachets and that the profile was incredibly lean. I found it very effective for recovery as I was able to take it between the gym and running due to the speed of digestion. It is on the expensive side for US buyers but if I lived in the UK I would definitely purchase and subscribe to try the service out. Thank you to whey'd for sending out the product and sorry for the delayed review.

-Xcmiler
  • Chocolate: 7/10
  • Strawberries and Cream: 9/10

December 1, 2017

• Convenient Packets

I admit it; since I started lifting and trying my best to lead a healthy lifestyle, I've become somewhat of a protein snob. If I haven't researched the company that makes it, I won't give that protein any consideration. If it's an isolate, then the protein content must be at least 80% by volume. If it's a blend, then isolate must be the primary ingredient, and it has to be either lactose free or have a very low lactose content. It also must taste good enough for me to want to take it daily. I know, I know...I'm very picky, but this has enabled me to keep my go-to proteins as a select few.

When I saw Whey'd available to the TROOPs, I was intrigued and did some research on the company. Needless to say, I was impressed without having tried the product. More on that later. Thanks to the people at Whey'd for giving the TROOPs an opportunity to review their product.

Whey'd is unlike any other protein powder in that it comes in convenient individual pouches instead of a 2-5 pound tub that requires you to scoop out your desired amount. Each pouch is 24 grams and contains 20 grams of hydrolyzed whey protein isolate, yielding 83.33% protein content. The makers of Whey'd source their protein from Ireland, which they say produces the best milk in the world, as their cows are hormone free, grass fed and are outside for as much of the year as possible. Whey'd also claims that their protein whey is higher in protein content, lower in hormones and higher in fatty acids than most others on the market. This may or may not be true, but what really impressed me about the company was their philanthropic efforts. They work with a charity called One Feeds Two; for every three sachets they sell, whey'd gives a child in poverty a school meal--Pretty cool.

In addition to the 20 grams of protein and the feel-good stuff, each Whey'd packet contains 5.5 grams of BCAAs, 80 calories, and is sweetened with stevia.

I received the strawberries and cream flavor, and as far as strawberry flavors go, this was light and inoffensive, not at all overbearing. The flavor was spot on, although not "bursting with strawberry-ness." In water, I'd give it a 7.5/10, and in milk, I'd give it an 8.8/10.

Mixing was simple enough. The powder was very fine, and when mixed with water or milk, there were no issues with clumping, regardless of whether you stirred it or shook it.

As for dosing, Whey'd doesn't get much simpler. Instead of scooping out a serving, you just open the convenient packet (sachet) and pour it into 12 ounces of water or milk.

Typical of a protein supplement, whey'd helped me with recovery after a grueling workout, and also doubled as a between meal snack if my stomach started grumbling.

Here's where I scored Whey'd lower. On Whey'd website, 15 packets sell for 25 British pounds, which equates to 34 US dollars. This is not a bargain by any stretch of the imagination. However, its unique packaging and the quality of the raw materials used are probably contributing factors to its high price.

Side Effects

None. No problems with gas, cramping, or diarrhea.

Conclusion

As far as proteins go, Whey'd is a high quality, uniquely packaged product from a company with a big heart. My only gripes are that it is way too expensive for the average mortal, and would be astronomical to avid lifters who consume multiple servings of protein throughout the day. I'm sure the price will drop as soon as Whey'd becomes available in the US.
  • Strawberries and Cream: 8/10