Friction has been reported as discontinued. See the replacement:

Friction Reviews

By: VPX

Friction is an Energy Supplement manufactured by VPX. It is designed to improve mental focus and energy.

Friction has been reported as discontinued. See the replacement:

Overall
Overall
4.8
3.1
  August 24, 2015

• Bad Value
  • Heavy Crash
  • Prop Blend

Background I am 24 years old. My routines are based off of powerlifting and for strength. I heard about SR when I was looking up new supplements to buy. I was recommended this product from a local retailer. I am currently running Sheiko. Although at this exact moment I am not training at all due to a 45 lb. plate slipping from my grasp and creating a direct kill shot; fracturing two toes. Now I have time to do some reviews. My numbers aren't staggering but a little heavier than to be considered a novice.

(4/10)
When I first read the package and saw 400mg of caffeine I was sold. I am pretty immune to stimulants and I always need more than a preworkout to make it through a workout then work. There is also 5 grams of creatine mono per scoop. Which I thought would have a pump effect I have felt with other supplements such as kre alkalyn. I should have noticed the glaring Proprietary blend which than is accompanied by a second prop blend they call Mind Matrix. There mind matrix blend is mostly comprised of mood enhancing ingredients that release dopamine levels. All of which I haven't found anything positive about.

(6/10)
I had their watermelon which I am unsure if they had other flavors. It mixed well not perfect but sufficient. The taste was ok nothing amazing nothing disgusting.

(3/10)
So the effectiveness of this product wasn't what I was hoping for. I am immune to stimulants as I stated earlier. I am used to using Metabolic Nutrition ESP big scoop with 500 mgs of caffeine so I thought this would be fine. I didn't feel the pump or any for that matter of what I was expecting. Although I could tell that I was on a stimulant the focus wasn't there. I ran this all the way through and same result each time. I did notice tremors and shakiness. Also I have ran Hyde, C4, esp, and a few others. I never understood those " The feeling After pre-workout dump is over" memes until this product. Literally 5-10 minutes after consuming like clockwork I would be on the toilet. A few times I would drink it get ready, start to drive, and not even make it out of the driveway without having to run back inside my house. It may work wonders for some and everyone is different and I understand that. However, me personally I will forever pass on this product. I realize this isn't a muscle gainer/ph/or anything like that but I wasn't able to get those couple more reps I am used to be able to do with other products. Also the crash on this was tremendously rough. Two hours after lifting I would be yawning and wanting to pass out for the remainder of the day.

(1/10)
Like any impatient consumer I decided to buy this right off the shelf for around $55. I realize its probably way cheaper on amazon(which is where I now buy all my supplements from). I was kicking myself in the a$$ half way through the first workout.

Side Effects

(4/10)
Like I said the involuntary cleansing of my system and the jitters, it has all the side effects that a novice weightlifter would think "O man this stuff is kicking in." Which is true, but not always good.

----Conclusion--
I enjoy my friends and value their friendships. In that case I wouldn't recommend this product to them or anyone for that matter. Especially for how overpriced it was when I bought it.

October 15, 2012

• No Crash
  • Perhaps Too Strong
Well, after stalking the forums and reading countless reviews on this site for over a year I have finally made an account and will begin contributing.

I have tried over thirty different PWOs from Omega Sports Ultima (no stim) to Muscle Marinade (holy stim!) and everything in between yet this is the one I have enjoyed most.

Flavor/Mixability - 8/10
I have tried all three flavors; lemonade, watermelon and exotic fruit. Lemonade was my favorite as the slight bitterness lent itself quite well to the way lemonade should taste though all were palatable and go down easily. Friction can tend to get a little clumpy in the container but even so mixes instantly.

Profile - 9/10
The highlights of the profile are easily the full 3.25 grams of beta-alanine and 5 grams of creatine (mostly monohydrate and partly creatine/leucinate peptide) per scoop. I am a sucker for a fully dosed single scoop. The B-phenylethylamine is a nice touch and their dopaminergic compound is an interesting addition that I will mention again later.

Possible shortcomings for some would be firstly the lack of vasodilators, though I don't care at all about those. Secondly, I would love for there to be some form of carnitine and lastly 400mg of caffeine in addition to other stimulants may be way too much for some.

Effectiveness - 9/10
The part that really matters. Friction is one of only two PWOs that have given me that oh so coveted "tunnel vision". The energy comes on fast and strong but there is never a real uncomfortable peak nor is there a crash. The dopaminergic compound in Friction is responsible, I suspect, for some of the elevated mood I get after taking this product. I get to the gym and want to kill it, but with a smile on my face. The energy can keep up with me easily through an hour of weights and another hour of cardio and beyond.

As far as lifting performance goes, strength is good and endurance is increased. I can add another rep or two without fail when taking this vs. no PWO. Having said that, keep in mind it is a concentrate and as with any the emphasis is more on energy.

In fact the energy is the one con I find. Sometimes even for me it is just too much as the stimulant base is very strong.

Value - 8/10
I bought 12 combo packs of Friction/Meltdown (small size) for $22 each, sold all the Meltdowns, and came out about $20 ahead. The value for me was good. I see all over that these can be picked up for $29.99 so at a dollar a workout it is well priced considering nothing really needs to be added. Hopefully no one pays the full retail as there is no reason to.

Overall - 9/10
Absolutely one of the best PWOs I have ever used and one of my staples. I have to keep another PWO on hand or split scoops for the days a full dose of Friction would just be too much. If you are at all sensitive to stimulants this may be way too much but for everyone else I highly recommend this product. Especially for those who are going to have withdrawals when the final supply of Jack3d is used up.

August 29, 2012

• No Crash
  • Clumpy!
Alright guys, been a while since I wrote a review and I figured that Friction was worthy of a write-up. I have used many preworkouts in the past, just to name a few: Jack3d, C4, Assault, Muscle Marinade, Superpump Max, 1MR (both formulas), Craze and countless samples of others. My workouts were targeted for strength and size, with the rep range in the 4-6 range for the main movements, and 8-12 for assistance. I also took Friction having been on preworkouts for a while, probably 2-3 months, and so my tolerance was already pretty high. What can I say, I'm a stim junky through and through :)

PROFILE - 8.5/10 - Friction has a pretty solid, simple profile.

Serving Size 1 scoop (11g)
Servings per Container 30
Proprietary Blend - 9,015mg

Proprietary Creatine Matrix - 5000mg
Creatine Monohydrate
Covalex (Covalently Bonded Creatine/Leucinate Peptide)
Beta-Alanine - 3,250mg
Caffeine Anhydrous - 400mg
Mind Matrix - 365mg
B-Phenylethylamine HCI
Isopropyloctopamine
Yohimbine HCI
N-Coumaoyl Dopamine
Halostachine HCI

So while there is still the prop blend for the mind matrix, the main ingredients are spelled out. 5g creatine, 3.25g of beta-alanine, and 400mg caffeine. Simple and to the point for an energy based preworkout. No carbs or aminos, just something to get you fully torqued for the upcoming swoll session. No 1,3 D in this one, so you'll have to add your own if you're into that. But with 400mg of caffeine already in this, you don't really need to add any more stimulants...

The only problem I had with Friction was that is was super clumpy. Both small clumbs about the size of a kernel of corn, and larger clumps that were almost the size of the scooper. And it seems that this was not isolated to my tub. I worked at a GNC, and so I bought a tub for my friend as well. His tub was also all clumpy, with the bottom third being almost entirely caked on. I posted on here or another forum about the clumping issue to see if that was normal, and someone answered that their tub was also like this but it worked fine. Seems like there was some sort of moisture issue, which might have had an impact of the effectiveness but it's hard to tell since I don't have a tub to test that isn't all clumpy.

EFFECTIVENESS - 8.5/10

Since I was pretty stim tolerant, I was wondering how I would react to this, especially since there was no 1,3 D. I was pretty happy with it, however I began to establish a tolerance about halfway through the tub. Don't get me wrong, the first few workouts were great - some of the best energy I've ever had. I would compare it to the old formula 1MR that could be used in place of a defibrillator to restart your heart. A couple of times I took noxipro to switch it up, and I noticed that the energy from Friction was much more consistent, as opposed to noxipro's sudden rush for about 45 minutes, only to leave me feeling like *** with 45 minutes left in my workout. On a couple of occasions, I through in a scoop of noxipro with a scoop of friction, for instance when I was maxing out. I wouldn't recommend doing that, however it was a hell of a ride!

Focus was never an issue on Friction, 1 scoop had my mind right every time. It wasn't the mindless weight-crushing tunnel vision that I experienced from Craze, however. I'm gonna give it an 8.5 overall (round up to 9), which I think is pretty good considering how stim tolerant I was at the time. No more of this straight 10's nonsense! I would rate the energy an 8.75, and the focus an 8.

Not too much of a pump, but I was taking D-Pol while on this so anything I had would be attributed to the D-Pol...

VALUE - 8/10

I got my tub for like $30, so basically a dollar a scoop. Pretty standard for a preworkout. The only issue I had was what I said before about the clumps, especially in my friends container. Stuff was caked on so hard it was difficult to scoop.

OVERALL - 8/10

It's hard to decide between an 8 or a 9, but I think the fact that I was so stim tolerant made this stand out less in my mind. That, combined with the fact that I started to build a tolerance makes me settle on an 8 overall. For a little perspective, I think cocaine would probably be a 10 as far as an energy based preworkout, and a scoop of friction with a scoop of noxipro was probably a 9 or 9.25. I have yet to try N'Sane, and I hope that will live up to the hype!

If you are a stim junkie like me, I would say Friction is definitely on your radar for something to try if you haven't yet.

May 23, 2012

• Extreme Pumps And Focus
  • Long Lasting
  • Don't Take It At Night!
This stuff is amazing. Let me start by saying I have tried many different PWO and my tolerance to stimulants is very high. However, there is a big difference between too much caffeine and actually having a blend that helps you focus. When I first recieved friction in our shipment (I work at Gnc) I actually laughed at the ingredients and thought it would be the jittery, heart fluttering, no focus blend like the 1MR since they took the 1,3 DMAA out. It went on sale for 36.99 and with my discount I walked out the door for really cheap. From the first scoop to the last I was impressed.

Taste (9)
The exotic fruit smells EXACTLY like a pixie stick and the taste is right on par as well. It's ultra concentrated so it's only a small amount to drink.

Effectiveness (10)
I work out really early in the morning, anytime between 630 and 830. I wake up about an hour before, eat, then take a scoop 15 minutes before I walk into the gym. The onset is gradual and consistent. It seems to get stronger as the workout continues and the focus is insane. Complete tunnel vision and I'm dripping sweat. I have PR'd in all my lifts using this and I'm able to finish strong. Absolutely no crash and it actually keeps my going through the rest of my day (till 8pm) without any extra coffee or caffeine.

Bravo VPX, definately recommend this to anyone who likes a good stimulant PWO. Intensity!!

May 22, 2012

• Extreme Pumps And Focus
  • Lean Muscle Mass Energy
    I've used multiple preworkout supplements, and VPX friction is the best preworkout I've ever taken. Nothing is stronger than Friction, not 3 scoops of neurocore! True story, 1 miniture scoop is all you need, I know some of my friends only maxing with half a scoop!

EFFECTIVENESS(10)
    This is the first preworkout I've given a 10 to, for good reason. Lots of companies claim they have the strongest hitting preworkout supp out there, but when you try it for yourself it falls short. Friction lived up to its hype. 1 scoop was all I needed and my energy lasted through my entire workout, the pumps were insane and so to my focus! Talk about potency.

TASTE(8)
    The taste was real good and sweet, a bit too sweet but then again taste means nothing if you want results. I had the exotic fruit flavor, VPX does make excellent tasting supps in general IMO.

MIXABILITY(8)
    It mixed well with about 6.oz of water, make sure you shake it well before consuming.

PRICE(10)
    I got friction here in S.A for about $70 which is hefty but 30 full servings(6 week supply), it was well worth it. 1 scoop is seriously all you need or only even half a scoop.

PRODUCT PROFILE(10)
    Was real impressed with frictions hardcore ingredients, 5g creatine, beta-alanine, covalex and whole load of hardcore ingredients never seen before... Truly insane stuff

CONCLUSION
    A 10-ner in many ways, same say its too strong but I say its perfect, incoperated in a proper diet, results will be a sure thing. It helped me extremely well with pumps, lean muscle mass, super energy and focus. If you want the most hardcore 1scoop pre workout formula out there, VPX Friction is it!

Fridge

May 10, 2012

• Perhaps Too Strong
    I am a relatively stim tolerant person but I agree with AlphaOmega who said that this is almost too strong. This has got to be a stim-junkie's wet dream of a product, so let's get to it.

Profile --

6.5/10

Not much complexity here - 5g of a creatine blend which includes a leucine bonded creatine. Big plus of 3.25g of beta-alanine and then a monster 400mg of caffeine plus 365mg of B-Phenylehylamine HCL, Isopropyloctopamine, Yohimbine HCl, N-Coumaoyl Dopamine and Halostachine HCl.

This is also 1,3D free, so given current events, that's a plus, too. There's a good bit of marketing hype by VPX about ATP resynthesis and other things but to me, this is a flat-out stim pwo.

Taste and Mixability ---

---
    I love the taste of this and it mixes almost crystal clear. I tried the Grape and it's a very subtle sweet taste and I swear that's what gets me in trouble because it's so smooth and tasty that I just keep drinking and mixing and drinking.

Stim Effect ---

9.5/10

------
    Seriously, this is the real deal and I'm not sure it wouldn't work on the dead (ok maybe a little hyperbole) but it is pretty strong. I tried 2 scoops a few hours apart and the second one just totally cracked me out. The reason I'm not rating it a 10 is that there is some residual after-effect; not quite a crash but for me, a slightly noticeable decline.

Training Effect -

-----
    To me this formula hasn't got much in it for augmenting my workout the same as something like Muscle Marinade. I find it is too much of a rush/hard feel type of stim, which detracts from my training/form but others may actually prefer this feel. I tend to throw the weight around on this and I have gotten tremors from it. (Which as I said, could be a plus for some people) There is nothing "soft-focus" about Friction at full dosage. I tried adjusting the dosage but couldn't find the sweet spot that worked for me.

Value ---

-----
    At under 20 bucks for 30 true servings it's a winner. I keep it on hand now as a straight energy boost for night softball games after a grueling day of work when I need a straight crack-like energy boost. (Warning, this WILL keep you up)

Overall -

-------------
    This could have gone to an 8, but to me a pwo has to offer more than just the stim effect and in that department Friction is pretty light in the loafers. So I'm balancing a kick-ass stim effect with that.

If you love stims, then I recommend you give this a whirl but if you're not stim tolerant or looking for a beefier ingredient profile, you might want to look elsewhere.