S.M.A.R.T. Creatine Reviews

By: VMI Sports

Creatine > Blends
S.M.A.R.T. Creatine is a Creatine Blend manufactured by VMI Sports. It features multiple forms of creatines to take advantage of the various features of the different creatines. It can increase muscle power, translating to strength gains and increased muscle mass.

6.6
  December 12, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Full Label Disclosure
  • Muscle Endurance
  • Increased Power
  • Does Its Job
  • Horrible Taste

Let's get this out of the way now. Creatine is the most researched and proven workout supplement on the market. Creatine monohydrate is the gold standard when it comes to creatine supplementation. Simple. Cheap. Effective. With that said, however, supplement companies are always looking for an opportunity to improve products and take an edge over the competition. In this case, blended creatines are designed with the intention of improving absorption, reducing side effects, and increasing effectiveness. VMI has put together a valiant effort with S.M.A.R.T. Creatine.

Creatine Citrate - 1.2g
Creatine bonded to a citrate molecule. Creatine citrate has been shown to be more water soluble, however scientific studies have not proven that the increased solubility leads to more effective absorption. Rather, it seems the inclusion of creatine citrate is more effective at improving mixability of the powder while still delivering a dosage of creatine.

Magnesium Creatine Chelate (Magnapower) - 1.2g
Creatine bonded to magnesium. Magnapower is believed to be as effective as creatine monohydrate without the bloating and water retention commonly associated with monohydrate. The inclusion of magnesium is also believed to assist in metabolizing the creatine, which may increase effectiveness, however scientific results have not shown any significant increases at this time.

Creatine Pyruvate - 1.2g
Creatine bonded to pyruvic acid molecules. Studies have shown that creatine pyruvate may elevate creatine levels within plasma. This has not been proven to have a significant effect on absorption. Scientific studies thus far have not shown any significant advantages over creatine monohydrate.

Overall, this product is dosed at 3.6g of creatine, somewhat below the recommended maintenance dosage of 5g. Some studies suggest that 3g is a sufficient maintenance dose, however I prefer to follow the tried and true 5g recommendation.

Taste:
Unfortunately, flavorless does not mean tasteless. I had hoped to receive one of the flavored versions, as most reviewers seemed happy with them, however I was sent the unflavored version. No big deal, beggars cant be choosers, and VMI is always as accommodating as they can be. This stuff was harsh though. Very strong chemical flavor when mixed only with water. Mixing it with my preworkout or BCAAs helped, but the taste was still present. While the unflavored version may not have the dyes that others have complained about with the flavored versions, if you are picky about taste, you may want to avoid this one.

Mixability:
Mixability was about on par with what I've come to expect from creatine. If there was any improvement due to the creatine citrate, it wasn't significant enough for me to notice.

Dosing:
1 scoop daily. No loading phase. I typically mixed it with my preworkout and drank it upon arriving at the gym.

So, does it work?

Throughout my run of this product, I found it to be about as effective as plain old creatine monohydrate. After about a week of taking this product consistently, I began to notice some strength gains, as well as that familiar fullness in my muscles. I also found myself able to push more weight for more reps, with more energy throughout my workouts as well. Though I was unable to accurately determine if I had gained any lean muscle, I can confidently say that I had increased strength wise.

After finishing the product, I eliminated creatine from my stack in order to compare the results of my cycle on the product with my cycle off of the product. The first two weeks did not show any significant decline in strength or overall endurance, however I did feel the fullness in my muscles had faded by that time. Unfortunately, I suffered a non gym related injury to my right shoulder around that time and was unable to workout for a few weeks. Therefore I was unable to how long my body had retained the effects of the supplement.

This is where this product takes the biggest hit. I was generally able to find the product between $20 to $30 from online retailers. While you can sometimes catch it on sale for cheaper, that seems to be the going rate. While I believe that is fair for a blended creatine with high quality ingredients, the fact that it does not seem to be any more effective than plain creatine monohydrate gives me pause. If the amount of creatine per serving was higher, or if the product was significantly more effective, I would have no issues paying that price. But as it is, I feel it is more prudent to just purchase creatine monohydrate.

Side Effects

No adverse side effects were experienced throughout the use of this product.

Conclusion

In conclusion, VMI Sport's S.M.A.R.T. Creatine does exactly what a creatine supplement is supposed to. Nothing more, nothing less. It would be SMARTER and more prudent to just purchase the cheaper creatine monohydrate and achieve the same results. So why do I recommend this product then? For the simple fact that there is nothing wrong with the product if it is judged on its own as opposed to comparing it to monohydrate. Also, because some people do suffer from water retention and bloating when taking just monohydrate, and this product may be able to provide the same results without the side effects. While I am satisfied with the product, I will not likely purchase it myself unless I can find it on sale.
  • Unflavored: 2/10

October 12, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Does Its Job
  • Needs Higher Overall Creatine Dosage
  • Horrible Taste

A creatine product that does what creatine is supposed to do.

What is going on guys? Creatine is an absolute staple in my supplement stack and i am a hard believe run the old fashioned monohydrate, BUT sometimes the 'new age' creative can poke my interest. Let's see how SMART this creatine really is.

In general, especially in terms of monohydrate, creatine is one of the most heavily researched supplements on the market and has proven to be one of the most rewarding in terms of effectiveness. Creatine can improve strength, athletic performance and serve to put more creatine phosphate in your body's storages thus allowing you to perform more work which in return will hopefully cause more muscle growth.

Creatine citrate 1.2g: Creatine bounded with other molecules to help increase absorption/ water solubility (but there's not enough substantial evidence in my opinion to say that there is a substantial increase in absorption. There may be only a 1% increase in absorption and would that to you justify more hard earned cash for the product? Just food for thought.)

Magnesium Creatine chelate or more commonly known as Magnapower 1.2g: bound to magnesium chelate it is supposed to have more benefits once the creatine finds its way into your muscle storages.

Creatine pyruvate 1.2g: Creatine bonded with pyruvate to once again 'improve' creatine's functions, but I didn't find much of anything else on it. Nothing specific discussing how or why these things may or may not occur.

Overall, It's interesting to see all the different kinds of creatine together. We can only benefit from a variety, however, I do wish there was more grams of creatine per serving.

Taste: It's supposed to be flavorless but it has a REALLY strong bitter taste to it. I mixed it in my intra-workout one day and its bitterness overpowered the flavor of the intra.

Mixibilty: Easy, painless, no problems here

Dosage: I would take one dosage along with every workout, I varied when I took that dosage meaning sometimes i would take it pre-workout, sometimes Intra workout, and sometimes post workout. I saw no difference from when i was taking the product and felty that it was more important just to make sure that i was getting 1 serving in every day.

As far as creatine goes, It did it's job but nothing more than that. Strength was increased proportionately to what i would expect from 5g of creatine monohydrate per day. My muscle mass was most likely impacted in a positive way, but there's really no way for me to know how much it really contributed as the amount of muscle mass that can be gained naturally within a month from a non-beginner is limited. I didn't experience any bloating with this product, nor was I ever dehydrated. I enjoy drinking water though, so i've never had a problem 'forgetting' to hydrate while taking creatine like some of my friends have. My endurance and DOMs were unaffected by this product , but no creatine has ever impacted DOMs for me personally.

Like war machine mentioned, the cheapest place to get this product right now is on amazon for $12.99. That is a good price for a supplement and helps this products cause, even if it is still a little more per serving than plain flavorless monohydrate would be.

Side Effects

Conclusion

It's an average creatine product that does exactly what the cheaper (monohydrate) does.

October 12, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Full Label Disclosure
  • Muscle Endurance
  • Increased Power
  • Excellent Recovery
  • Horrible Taste

SMART Creatine is a great choice among creatine supplements, particularly those not fond of the bloating associated with pure monohydrate.

A special thanks to VMI for their continued participation here on SR.com. Today, I discuss my experiences with SMART Creatine. I enjoy using creatine on interval cycles for its benefits in strength, mass, energy, endurance, and recovery. However, the slight bloating I get on occasion isn't necessarily the best thing. Using various forms of creatine can help, but note that none generally carry significant advantages over the far more thoroughly studied pure monohydrate form. From my experience some different forms have their benefits though.

The profile is fully disclosed and contains three different forms of creatine including creatine citrate, creatine magnesium chelate, and creatine pyruvate. Each one is dosed at 1.2g, combining a total of 3.6g per single scoop serving.

As we know creatine in general works by helping to increase ATP energy production, hence enabling greater muscle power output potential. This also benefits endurance. While various forms of creatine exist, creatine monohydrate is the purest and most researched.

Creatine citrate is a form of creatine bound to a citrate molecule. This is said to improve the water solubility. Studies on creatine citrate are limited, but those that I have come across have not well supported citrate benefits. Furthermore, at 1.2g, clearly there is significant under dosing at creatine effective dosage is a minimum of 5g even for other forms.

Creatine Pyruvate is creatine bound to a pyruvate molecular group. Again, the studies of its benefits are limited and don't indicate promising results.

Creatine magnesium chelate is creatine bound to a magnesium chelate group. This particular form I've had good results in the past in terms of pumps and energy. Magnesium plays a role in several biological functions within the body. Therefore, binding it to creatine can be additionally beneficial within muscle. Still, at a meager 1.2g results may be hit or miss.

The profile finishes off with 200mg of sodium chloride. Sodium is a critical extracellular electrolyte playing crucial roles in fluid balance. Since creatine pulls water into muscle tissue, the added sodium chloride in theory would aid in increasing this effect. The result would be better pumps an muscle fullness.

I received the unflavored version. Despite being termed as such, the one big drawback of SMART creatine is the fact that regardless what I combined the servings in, it always added an unpleasant, strong, chemical-like, bitter taste, There was literally nothing I could do to mask it.

The mixability was also lagging. The powder did not mixed well and very often left undissolved sediment and small clumps.

The product suggests to take one scoop pre and one post. For the first week I took only one serving post workout, following a protein shake soon after. From the second week on I took one serving pre and one post, totaling two servings.

My efficacy score is based on two servings. I found that SMART Creatine helped to add an increase to my power, pump, endurance, and recovery.

I had increased complimentary energy during my workout sessions. I was able to train longer and had more efficient focus without any crash at the end of my workout.

My pump was also noticeably increased. My vascularity was improved all over and my muscles felt more swole after consecutive high volume sets. The pump remained evident all through my workout and even at the end.

My enduirance seemed better as I was feeling less fatigue and DOMS during and after my workouts. I was able to bang out more reps and more frequent sets less rest in between. My boxing sessions were longer and more intense as well as my general cardio workouts.

Recovery following workouts was most noticeably improved among all benefits. I was going to each and every workout with less soreness and letyhargy from previous workouts. I also had more natural energy and was able to continuously perform all workouts with more power output. I was maxing out on all compound movements more frequently with increased rep range.

I found SMART Creatine for as low as 13 dollars with free shipping on amazon. I think that even at two scoops, that is a really good vlalue especially considering the efficacy Though, the score does take a slight hit due to the comparison to bulk creapure, which can be purchased for close to the same and even less of a price. Still, a good value overall.

Side Effects

Conclusion

In conclusion, while creatine monohydrate will always win the race in terms of value and research, SMART Creatine is indeed a smart choice among unique creatine products. It will aid in endurance, recovery, pump, and can help increase strength potential. Just stay away from the unflavored version.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO RED SOX!!!
  • Unflavored: 1/10

June 6, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Full Label Disclosure
  • Muscle Endurance
  • Increased Power
  • Excellent Recovery
  • Horrible Taste

This is a good creatine blend to mix with water or add to another liquid supplement mix.

Thank you to the people at VMI who continue to produce good supplements. Creatine is a normal supplement in my workout and I wanted this because it is a creatine blend. This was a product that is easy to take and mix with my normal supplement products.

The SMART creatine has sodium 79 mg, magnesium 96 mg, and chloride 121 mg with the creatine blend being creatine citrate 1.2 grams, creatine pyruvate 1.2 grams, and magnesium creatine chelate or what that call Creatine MagnaPower 1.2 grams. Sodium is, of course, salt, that helps keep water for the blood. Magnesium works with the nerves and muscles to support an immune system. Chloride helps with electrolytes to support fluid in the body. All these work with creatine to help balance the body. Creatine can work to improve strength, lean muscle mass, and muscles recover. Due to the boost from creatine, it can increase energy. Creatine is like protein but it is known as a "non-protein" nitrogen. Creatine is made in our bodies, is in food, and supplements. Creatine citrate combination of creatine with citric acid to boost the workout so athletes will use this creatine. In this form of combining 2 elements, it has few side effects. Creatine pyruvate is a form of creatine used to absorb into the body better instead of the traditional creatine called creatine monohydrate. Creatine pyruvate is 60% creatine and 40% pyruvate. Magnesium creatine chelate or Creatine MagnaPower has creatine that will bond to magnesium which is different from Creatine monohydrate that bonds the creatine to water. All the ingredients are fine so I give this a good rating.

The flavor is "unflavored" but don't let it fool you to think it has no flavor. When I started taking it, I assumed that it had no flavor. I usually mix my creatine in with my protein shake. I thought my protein shakes had gone bad because it left a bitter taste. When I learned it was "unflavored", I started mixing it in with other supplements and that helped the bitter taste. I would say the flavor is more like powered salt. I would not recommend mixing it with only water because the flavor was salty. No problems with mixability as it fully dissolved. It suggests to mix it with 8 to 10 oz of water. The instruction says to have 1 scoop 15-20 minutes before workout and another 1-2 scoop with a recovery drink. The SMART creatine has 3.6 grams of combined creatine per serving. I followed the directions as recommended with no issues. The dosing was good and a normal amount for me to consume daily. I give this a good rating because you take it before and after a workout with good mixing and dosing.

I do feel that this was an effective creatine. Most of the creatine I've had in the past is just one type of creatine, but this was a great creatine blend. I also like the SMART mix because my earlier creatine would mix in protein powder because the creatine had no taste, but this one would help change the other supplement mixes to give it a different flavor so it was better than mixing the SMART creatine with just water. I felt that my body was able to absorb the creatine and it gave me what I needed the creatine to do. I like having a creatine before and after a workout so this was a good product to try. There are different debates on exactly how much creatine the body should take in a day and when to take it but I think this dosing before and after a workout is right where I would like. The one thing that I really liked was the other non-creatine ingredients that kept me hydrated which is wonderful for a guy that sweats a lot. This was a great creatine that was a very effective product.

I was able to find it easily online for $20 to $30 but it was on eBay for $14. This tube is 30 servings which works out to $0.47 if you can get it at $14 but a normal price is $0.83 per serving if you get the tube for $25. There is less expensive creatine on the market, but the ones I find cheaper usually contain one form of creatine. A creatine mix can get high. I think that at $0.47 per serving is a great price and at $0.83 is ok. The price can affect value, but with the ingredients and effectiveness, I give it a middle to high rating.

Side Effects

No side effects noticed

Conclusion

This is a great creatine product. It has multiple creatine which is good. The taste was nice if mixed with other tasty supplement mixes. The mixability and dosing were fine. It was effective. If you can get it at $14, then I highly suggest getting one. The cost is still reasonable at $25 for 30 servings. No side effects. This is a wonderful creatine and I would recommend and try it again.
  • Unflavored: 5/10

February 23, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Full Label Disclosure
  • Muscle Endurance
  • Increased Power
  • Dyes

I apologize to VMI for taking so long to review this. I doubly apologize on that note because I had a solid draft going at work on Friday and forgot to click save so I had to start anew today. Some background: I claimed this off TROOPs because I had always wanted to try a creatine blend and this looked like as good of a product as any. I'm a big believer in taking what is proven to work and not reinventing the wheel. Applied to creatine supplementation, I usually supplement with Creapure micronized creatine monohydrate at 5g a day - but I've recently made a switch to Myprotein Creatine Gluconate - because I trust that it is actually working how it supposed to and requires rather little additional thought or research on my part. That being said, I have always been curious as to whether creatine blends really work any better or really reduce bloating by a significant amount (I don't bloat too much from creatine to begin with though) and so I wanted to compare the results (with creatine monohydrate being my baseline) for myself.

7.5/10
SMART uses a blend of three different forms of creatine - creatine pyruvate, creatine citrate, Magnapower magnesium creatine-chelate, each dosed at 1.2g (total of 3.6g), and 200mg of sodium (NaCl). The blend is supposed to negate the need to load and reduce water retention/bloating. The sodium is apparently included for "skin tearing muscle swells" (i.e. pumps) which sounds both cool and troublesome at the same time. I'm fine with it being in the ingredient profile but if you want to promote "skin tearing muscle swells" then you're going to need something stronger than sodium. Agmatine, L-citrulline, or a nitrate would have been a much better choice. This part of the profile wins no points from me and just falls flat. However, this far from the most important part of the profile. For all I care, if the creatine part is solid then a small flaw like this is maybe a 0.5 or 1.0 deduction tops.

Creatine pyruvate is a creatine bonded with a pyruvic acid group and is dosed at 1.2g. Creatine pyruvate is noted for producing higher plasma levels of creatine compared to creatine monohydrate (note: these studies used a dose of around 7g). However, the study that discovered this also found no difference in absorption or excretion values. I had time to review one study that compared creatine pyruvate and creatine citrate with a placebo (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2276184/). Creatine pyruvate increased mean power, force output, and relaxation speed at all intervals as well as oxygen consumption and blood flow during rest. Hence, creatine pyruvate might be a bit more beneficial for endurance. As promising as this study is, the dosage was 5g a day so this would be significantly underdosed in comparison. Additionally, for all the good creatine pyruvate is supposed to do, most of the results have not been found to be much different than those experienced with creatine monohydrate supplementation.

Creatine citrate is a creatine bonded with a citric acid group and is dosed at 1.2g. Creatine citrate is noted for being more water soluble than creatine monohydrate but this does not appear to affect absorption. In the aforementioned study (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2276184/) improvements in force and power output gained from creatine citrate supplementation decreased and became insignificant at later intervals. It also did not seem to have the positive effects on oxygen consumption and blood flow that were associated with creatine pyruvate consumption. For what it is worth, the study also used 5g of creatine citrate so to replicate those less-than promising results this would be underdosed - a double whammy. Furthermore, like with creatine pyruvate, there has not been any significant difference in results associated with creatine citrate supplementation when compared to creatine monohydrate supplementation.

Magnesium creatine-chelate is a creatine with a magnesium chelated group and is dosed at 1.2g. Magnesium creatine-chelate is noted for providing creatine monohydrate like benefits without the water gain (i.e. bloat). The magnesium chelated group is included because magnesium is used in carbohydrate and creatine metabolism (particularly in the ATP cycle) and the thought is that this provides the "full package" and allows one to take greater advantage of the creatine. Some studies have shown statistically insignificant improvements over creatine monohydrate. One study that I found (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15142029) showed an improvement over placebo with a 2.5g dose of magnesium creatine chelate but it was insignificantly different from the improvements experienced with a 2.5g dose of standard creatine (I assume monohydrate was used here). That being said, I am a big supporter of using patented ingredients and the inclusion of Magnapower here is very much welcomed - even if the base ingredient isn't as useful as thought.

While I may have dug into the science a bit, I'm not necessarily deducting because the profile includes creatine types that are not monohydrate. In other words, I'm not a creatine purist. I came into this knowing that the studies would likely show creatine monohydrate to produce equal or near-equal results. The problem is, however, that the studies I could find used around 5-7g of each type of creatine listed here. 1.2g of any of these forms is clearly underdosed in comparison. Additionally, I am a believer in the 5g a day maintenance dose so I would have liked to have seen at least 5g of cumulative creatine since if one assumes that, at worst, each form works no better than creatine monohydrate then (excusing ratios - creatine citrate and creatine pyruvate are about 65% and 60% creatine respectively in the study cited) at least that threshold is met. Now, I have seen some data showing that 2-3g is sufficient for a maintenance dose, and that would make this 3.6g more than an acceptable dose. Still, I would rather play it safe and use the 5g threshold.

Finally, my last take on this profile is that there is an excessive amount of green dye used. In all honesty, this would have been an 8/10 profile if it wasn't for the dyes. I can see some logical arguments here and there that would mitigate some of the concerns I raised above and so I mitigated most of the deductions I would have made. Yet, the dyes are part of the profile and were rather repulsive at times so it has to affect this score as well.

I received the lemon lime flavor and it tasted pretty good. It wasn't too sweet or tart but it also wasn't Gatorade-esque either. I don't think I've had anything that tasted quite like this take on lemon lime so I can't give a comparison but it wasn't bad. Mixability was perfect as there was no clumping or residue leftover which can be a problem with some creatine forms. Dosing was relatively simple. The container recommendation is 1-2 scoops pre, intra, or post workout. I typically dosed this at 1 scoop. I took two scoops for the first few days and I would occasionally take two scoops if I had missed a dose (rare). I usually tried to take my dose sometime pre-workout but I was not as consistent with this as I would have liked to been. The nice thing about a creatine supplement is that my inconsistent dosing times didn't matter - as long as I got my dose in each day. My main qualm in this section is the excessive use of artificial dyes. I think dyes in general (i.e. even natural) should be used sparingly but I'll accept a moderate level of dyes in most mainstream supplements as a fact-of-life. This was just a bit absurd to me though. I could see excess dye kind of just swirling in my cup and it just made me feel "gross" for lack of a better word. I generally had to drink this in a colored shaker cup so I didn't have to look at it. In my mind, this psychological effect affects the final taste rating and seeing the excessive dye kind of just swirling about (think like a snake) in the cup affects the final mixability rating. I took a point off for each.

I've used creatine monohydrate a fair amount so I have a baseline for what to expect from an effective creatine supplement. Since creatine monohydrate is also the gold standard of sorts I can also use my personal comparisons to judge how SMART compares to the cheaper and more studied form that it is supposed to be better than.

Unlike with creatine monohydrate, there is no suggested or designated loading period with SMART. I still erred on the side of caution and took two scoops for the first few days. Even with this extra dose, I experienced no bloating. I don't bloat much with creatine monohydrate but I've noticed there is always a little bit so it was nice to not have any this time around. While this is nice, I have and can suffer through some bloating if it means improved performance and progress in the gym so its not a huge issue for me but at least SMART lives up the no-bloat claim.

I noticed after about two weeks of use that I could push and pull a little more weight in the gym. It was only about 5-10lbs on most lifts but every little bit helps build more muscle so it is very much welcomed. This was about what I experience from creatine monohydrate, albeit at loading dosages. I also noticed that my muscles felt a little fuller just walking around throughout the day. It wasn't like a perpetual pump but more that everything just felt a little heavier. This is from the increased cellular hydration so the creatine was definitely working to some extent. Yet, it wasn't anything radically different from when I've used monohydrate. There was less bloat so in a way I didn't feel as full but being the bad kind of "full" it was for the better. Again, since I don't typically bloat that much it wasn't anything extreme.

I also noticed a slight bit more endurance in my workouts. I usually use a subjective measure of my objective cardio times to sort of balance out how I rate endurance but I am diverging from that a bit with this review because what stuck out to me was my endurance in the lifting portions of my workout. Almost habitually, I was squeezing out a few extra reps and sometimes practically another set. Sometimes I'll be feeling myself and think I can squeeze out more than is actually possible and then have to shamefully admit defeat and lower the weight or rest a bit more. I found myself doing that a bit less than usual about two weeks into taking SMART. This was also about on par with what I've experienced with creatine monohydrate supplementation but I will note than the reduced bloat made it noticeably easier to squeeze out more on the movements where mobility is more of a factor (deadlifts, squats, etc.). For example, I was able to squeeze out an extra five reps on deadlifts (much to my surprise) during one of my last workouts with SMART compared to what I had projected in my journal for the day. I can't say my form was pristine for those last few reps but what I am trying to get across is that I had the endurance or the "energy" to do so.

I didn't really see much in the way of enhanced recovery but I've never gotten that from creatine monohydrate or even creatine gluconate supplementation either. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if at some cellular level I was recovering quicker but I couldn't feel it. I think it is a bit overplayed marketing but still worth noting since it is a label claim.

In short, I experienced really similar effects to creatine monohydrate. This seemed to kick in a little bit earlier and with much less creatine (due to lack of loading phases) required. Is it better than creatine monohydrate in terms of effectiveness? Only insofar that there's no bloating, that you can take less, and you may feel it a little earlier. Other than that it was on par and certainly not worse.

7.75/10
I found this on a few sites for around $20 for a 30 serving container. Given that this is a true one-scoop serving, or at least close to it, this is not a terrible deal. That's about $0.67 a serving/day. That might sound like a bit much for just creatine at first but this is supplement is a creatine blend, including one patented form (also a huge plus), and it is also flavored. Taking all of that into consideration, this is a pretty good deal. However, I can't give it above an 7.75/10 for a few reasons. First, creatine monohydrate (the gold standard for creatine supplements) would cost you about $0.10 a day at maintenance levels and about $0.40 at loading levels. If I'm paying $0.57 more a day for different forms of creatine, I would like at least one of them to be efficaciously dosed as opposed to the overall blend meeting that threshold (I believe there is a difference). Additionally, I think that this would be a better value if it met the old recommended maintenance dose of 5g. Even if some newer studies have shown that 2-3g is enough for maintenance, I still subscribe to the "better to be safe than sorry" doctrine which in this case is also "the more the better" doctrine. Finally, when I compared SMART Creatine to some competitors, I noticed similar price-points and a handful of "extras" like betaine anhydrous, L-taurine, L-tyrosine, electrolytes, cinnamon bark extract, banaba leaf extract, and beta alanine to name a few. While no competitor had all of these "extras," most had at least one. For this to really break past an 8/10 there would have to be some "extras," or if it was to remain a pure creatine product then the price per serving would have to decrease. I would suggest perhaps using non-patented forms of creatine but I like to see patented forms and actually took that into consideration with rating this section so it is a bit of a double-edged sword. In short, this is a decent deal. There are certainly better deals to be had but you won't feel ripped off if you purchased this. If you find this on sale and like/want to try a creatine blend then it would likely be worth it to pull the trigger despite its shortcomings.

Side Effects

I experienced no side effects while taking this product. As promised, I did not experience any creatine bloat. I will note, however, that like with all creatine products this made me pretty thirsty or dehydrated if I didn't drink enough water. Aim for a gallon of water a day if possible while taking this. I don't deduct for this because it is to be expected with creatine supplementation.

Conclusion

7.7/10
Overall, this is a decent creatine blend to try. I would caution everyone that the dyes are pretty bad so if that bothers you than look elsewhere. If you can find this on sale then it is probably worth pulling the trigger but at normal price its really at that indecisive point where it wouldn't be a great nor terrible purchase. I would probably recommend this to a friend with the caveat that I would warn them about the dyes and probably suggest an alternative to look at and compare SMART to as well. I came to a 7.7 rating after averaging the Ingredient Profile, Effectiveness, and Value sections since those were most important in this review to get a 7.75 rating. I then rounded down to the 7.7 for the overall score as a way to take the Taste/Mixability/Dosing score into consideration (i.e. dyes).

October 8, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Full Label Disclosure
  • Muscle Endurance
  • Increased Power
  • Pricey
  • Needs Higher Overall Creatine Dosage
  • Needs To Increase Magnapower Dosage
  • Dyes

First and foremost I would like to thank VMI Sports Nutrition for sending me out their product so I could try it and review it for you guys. I would also like to thank SR for providing me the opportunity and the tools so that I can share with you guys my experience.

Everyone out there knows that if you want help with strength than Creatine is the only main source that has been proven to help. I like some of the Creatine blends especially when it's mixed with Beta-Alanine .. I got good results last time a tried a product with that combo. When I noticed this little gem I wanted to see how would other forms of creatine affect me ... so here I go ...

This has a simple profile of fully disclosed 3 forms of Creatine.

We have 1.2 grams of Magnapower ... 1.2 grams of Creatine Citrate, and lastly 1.2 grams of Creatine Pyruvate ... that makes it 3.6 grams of Creatine total.

I believe that Magnapower is the key element in this blend ... Overall it might have an advantage over standard monohydrate ... Basically it's a combination of creatine and magnesium .. the reason for that is that in order for ATP to be processed there needs to be at least one magnesium atom present ... So the logic was why not combine them both and make buku load of money from it ...

The other two are just another forms of creatine so that it can improve your absorption and cause less irritation to your stomach. Pyruvate can supposedly produce higher plasma levels of creatine than monohydrate, but that does not mean that your muscle absorbs it or perform better.

Honestly ... I would prefer that this had at least 5 grams total of creatine. What else I would like to see is that they rationed the dosage based on the weight of the individual taking it. If you put a little time into study on creatine you will notice that the dosage varies based on weight. For me personally I should be taking in 8 grams of creatine so I was really off with just 3.6 grams.

I had one scoop with 8oz of water ... mixed with a teaspoon ... usually always some residue left on the bottom that had to dissolve in my mouth with a intense taste. Usually I was left with a burning throat. I got the LemonLime flavor and it was really green when you poured water ... extreme use of Dyes in this one. The taste for me was actually pretty good except the straggling leftovers that I had to suffer.

This does help as much a simple monohydrate did ... You get a boost in strength, your muscles get leaner and your recovery time is reduced. I personally felt ok while on this product but the advantages were not as impressive as taking 8 grams of just plain mono. The best thing that it did was prevent me from feeling bloated after drinking it. For me there are usually small traces of discomfort right after drinking monohydrate but nothing overwhelming that I would notice if I didn't pay attention. Obviously when I'm reviewing a creatine product I "listen" to my gut to see what type of reaction I get. This is a really easy to digest formula that I would recommend to anyone that has discomfort taking on plain monohydrate.

So this creatine blend comes for 20$ currently at amazon and allstarhealth. That comes out to 66 cents per serving. That's a lot compared to just buying plain ol' creatine monohydrate. Although, this does well compared to other creatine blends ...

Side Effects

None ... which could be very good news to some.

Conclusion

This would be highly recommended creatine blend to anyone that has to much discomfort taking on plain ol' creatine monohydrate. Other than that I don't think there is any good reasons for me to replace my supply with this product. This creatine is not that overwhelmingly expensive as other creatine blends so if you having hard time digesting monohydrate this would be a solid substitute. I would like to suggest that the company change it's dosing appropriately to the weight of the consumer. Also, they should look into why the product is so difficult to dissolve ... I noticed that my previous reviewer had the same challenge with the unflavored version. I lowered the overall score because of the mixing issues and the dosing issues with the product. Thank you for reading and I wish you all the ATP you can get into your muscles.
  • Lemon Lime: 8/10

Overall
Overall
6.7
  October 4, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Full Label Disclosure
  • Pricey
  • Horrible Taste

38 years old and I lift 4 times a week, and try to do conditioning 2-3 times a week. Creatine is one of the proven supplements in our world, and its something that I try and maintain in my stack. In the last year or so I have been branching out from the traditional Creatine Monohydrate to the more fancier blends. Given VMI's good track record here on SR, once their SMART Creatine V.3 was being offered, I had to try it. Lets see how Smart this Creatine really is.

Pretty simple profile here and fully transparent. We have 1,200mg of Magnapower (Magnesium Creatine-Chelate), 1,200mg of Creatine Citrate, 1,200mg of Creatine Pyruvate, and 200mg of Sodium Chloride. Why all the fancy Creatines versus the standard Creatine Monohydrate? Well, lets break each one down to see what it really does.

Magnapower (Magnesium Creatne-Chelate) - This process bonds magnesium to creatine which means it is absorbed via a different pathway compared to creatine mono. The idea here is that using a different transporter to get the creatine to the muscle cells, less is lost in transport and broken down into waste product creatine. Also, using magnesium creatine chelate can lead to greater absorption of creatine into muscle cells with less bloating and side effects associated with creatine mono. (http://www.predatornutrition.com/articlesdetail?cid=magnesium-creatine-chelate-vs-creatine-monohydrate)

Creatine Citrate - Creatine citrate is a creatine monohydrate molecule attached to a citric acid molecule. Both substances provides increase of energy production on the molecular level. The first one works on anaerobic pathways, the second on aerobic pathways. As the result of these processes, the muscle strength and endurance increases. Creatine citrate also better dissolves in water than the creatine monohydrate. (http://www.muscle-zone.com/creatine-citrate)

Creatine Pyruvate - This is creatine bound with pyruvic acid. This may produce higher plasma levels of creatine thatn monohydrate, but this does not translate into greater muscle absorption or performance enhancement. Studies comparing mono vs pyruvate have shown no difference in regards to muscle strength, size, and power in response to weight training of the two. However, using this over Monohydrate reduces the need to load.

Overall not a bad creatine blend, this gives you a total of 3.6g of Creatine per scoop. Of the three forms the pyruvate doesn't really excite me at all but I do like to see Citrate and Magnapower, as they are proven to be more effective than your standard Creatine Monohydrate. (8/10)

Taste - Okay, this is where the product went wrong for me. I recieved the Unflavored version, so I thought it would simply dissolve into whatever I mixed it with and I would not even notice it being there. Wrong!! This had a very chemical taste to it that took a lot of getting used to. I did not enjoy the taste of this at all. (2/10)

Mixability - For the most part this dissolved well in water and when mixed with either a PWO or Protein. However, a couple of times some of the clumps did not dissolve and I would get a clump of this stuff in my mouth towards the bottom of my shaker, which tasted terribly. So 80% of the time it mixed fine, but you had that 20% of the time where it would be a wildcard and give you a bad taste. (5/10)

Dosing - So at my weight of 240, I require about 8-10g of Creatine a day. What I decided to do here is to take 1 scoop on non training days, and 2 scoops (1 pre and 1 post) on training days. This seemed to work out the best and I did see some results which we wil talk about below. (8/10)

So we had some issues here with taste and mixability. As well when I received the tub, the scooper itself had Creatine caked inside it and would not dump out, so I had to take a knife to it to break it up. Not a big deal at all, but something to keep in mind. Also, I did see clumps throughout my usage in the tub, I would break them up and they would seem to form again, was real odd. I have attached a pic of both. Something in this is clumping it up and with my experience with those clumps not dissolving all the way, it did not make me happy.

Overall this creatine blend did its job. I felt no bloating ever, even on days I used two scoops. I did make some lean mass gains, but was also running an AI and a Mass Gainer for 2 weeks during this run, but i can safely say that some of the lean gains are from this Creatine. What I expect from Creatines are to gain some lean mass and likely a little water weight. I did not seem to gain much water weight, if any, next few days will truly determine it, but a couple days off of this I still have the same muscle fullness that I gained during this run. So in my eyes, this Creatine is very effective, if it was not for the clumping and the horrid taste I would love this stuff. Now lets talk label claims.

Features Triple Stage Creatine Algorithm - Okay, we can see this through teh different creatines in the blend, the idea here is that each one releases at a different pace. Hence the name SMART (Slow, Medium, Accelerated Release Technology). So sure, this is right.

Promotes Skin Tearing Muscle Fullness - Skin Tearing? hah, no, but I understnad its just marketing to say that. Yes, this is where the product did the best in my eyes, as I expereienced some nice muscle fullness.

Anti-Bloat Formula with Sodium-Chloride - Yup, just as I said above, I never once felt bloated. Even with Creatine Monohydrate in the past I have felt bloated when loading or taking multiple scoops. So this is a good benefit of taking the fancy creatine blends.

So, yes this product delivers to what its designed for and I had some pretty good results here. Very effective. (9/10)

Amazon has this product for $14.98 for 30 servings. That comes out to be 50 cents a serving. Thats not a bad price, while not great, but I say about average in the blend world. When comparing this with other Creatine Blend prices its pretty tough because the price ranges quite a bit depending on the product. So since we know this is effective as well, you get good value here. Now what hurts our value at the same time is the taste. I know most people do not care about taste if a product works, but I have had unflavored Creatine Blends in the past that were tasteless, so I know it can be done. (7.8/10)

Side Effects

None on the person, but you will get clumping in the tub, and at times it does not dissolve all the way in the shaker cup.

Conclusion

Very effective Creatine Blend, but something has to be done about the taste especially since this is unflavored. The chemical taste to it was not great, and honestly turns me off the product since I know I can find just as effective Creatine blends out there that do not taste like that at all. If that can be fixed then this is a pretty great product. If that is not an issue for you, then awesome but it is enough for me to make this a borderline product I would likely not purchase. I would be happy to try this again if the flavoring ever gets fixed. Thank you to VMI and the TROOPer program for this opportunity.
  • Unflavored: 2/10

May 31, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Muscle Endurance
  • Full Label Disclosure
  • Increased Power
  • Artificial Flavors
  • Dyes

As I am really starting to hit the weights again after my ACL reconstruction surgery (5 1/2 months out), I have been switching my program from pure cutting and leaning to take pressure of my knee to trying to get some strength and muscle fullness back. There is no more simple, effective supplement to do this than creatine which almost all of us use on a regular basis. It's hard to argue with good old creatine monohydrate in the Creapure form, as it's ridiculously cheap and effective. However, I am pretty sensitive to creatine bloat and since I'm cutting with some vanity thrown in I do like designer creatines that are formed for better absorption and less water retention. VMI's SMART creatine is designed for this purpose so I was eager to give it a try.

I have attached the supplement facts for your viewing pleasure, and as you can see it's a creatine blend MagnaPower, Citrate, and Pyruvate in equal doses
of 1.2 g each and then 200 mg of NaCl for better absorption and muscle fullness. VMI has said that they used these three creatines as MagnaPower has a longer release, Pyruvate medium, and Citrate immediate. This may very well be true, but kind of weird for a creatine product as I doubt you would feel the effects of this in a workout and once you're saturated with creatine you're saturated, or that's what I've always been told. The total dosage of creatine itself is 3.6 g, and many will say this is a little low as 5 g is the standard, but I have found even with just 3 g I have had positive effects of creatine and this being a designer creatine with better absorption it is perfectly acceptable for me, however I am hovering at 160 lbs right now and bigger guys may need more. Overall, I like the profile a lot as the blends are intriguing and really aimed at muscle fullness, strength, and less bloat which was a goal of mine at this time. I do have some issues with some of the fillers though I'll explain later.

The taste I had was Lemon Lime, and although I love citrus flavors it was a bit overwhelming. This is compounded too by the fast that since it's creatine, a lot of us will throw it in a preworkout, intra, recovery drink etc and it would wreck the flavor of whatever I threw it in. Not too mention the dyes, which also seemed very excessive. I would throw it a preworkout that had a very light red color to it and it turned it a very dark brown. Big deal? Not really, but a creatine being promoted for better absorption and "cleanliness" could do without that. That being said, they do have an unflavored option without the artificial flavors and dyes so that would be my go to from here on out since most of us would throw it in something with flavor already anyways. Mixability was ok though, as it dissolved easily and was not gritty. Dosing is 1-2 scoops a day, I always took 1 scoop. I think there's room for improvement here.

So what can you expect from a creatine product? Moderate strength increases and muscle fullness, and in this case hopefully a lack of bloat. I can say that this creatine product compared to its peers that I have taken performed very well. I did get the typical muscle fullness, strength, and endurance increases I normally feel when cycling back on creatine with the 3-4 days. This does tell me the creatine worked well and I didn't feel the need to do a "loading phase" to saturate. I also didn't experience an water retention as my midsection stayed lean as I try to reduce those problem areas as much as I can. All in all, this creatine did what it said it would do and performed with the better creatines I have taken in the past. What myself and other consumers will have to decide on is it worth the price.

HEre's the biggest problem with designer creatines. Yes I think they work and the do perform a little better in terms of water retention and saturation rate, but they are MUCH more expensive than their monohydrate counterparts. This is $30 for 30 scoops, where you can get over 100 servings of monohydrate for around $15. Twice as expensive, and over a third less scoops. I think this makes it only an option if you're SUPER sensitive about water retention and/or had some negative experience with monohydrate.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Good solid designer creatine that worked well, but expensive when compared to monohydrate and would definitely go unflavored for ease of mixing.

May 21, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Muscle Endurance
  • Full Label Disclosure
  • Increased Power
  • Better Pump

Hi everyone, today I'm going to be reviewing SMART Creatine v3 by VMI sports-thanks to those guys for participating in the troops and the opportunity to review another awesome product by this company! I used SMART creatine as a pre/intra-workout, usually consuming it all within 20 minutes of getting started at the gym and a typical session of 90-minutes to 2-hours. I usually kick off my sessions with big muscle lifts like squats, deadlifts or cleans and it's during those sets that this stuff was usually finished. It was also by then that my muscles were bulging and I was ready to move on to more isolated movements.

During this run I was typically taking a PWO beforehand. I tried to isolate the SMART Creatine's effects by changing the PWO on a few occasions and seeing what remained consistent

SMART uses a blend of 3 different creatines that digest at different rates (slow, medium, accelerated, release technology; SMART).

First is Magnapower (Magnesium Creatine-Chelate). Magnapower has a faster rate of absorption than standard monohydrate and requires no loading period. It creates an energy source for fast twitch muscle fibers and decreases fatigue.

Next is Creatine Citrate which is supposed to be more water soluble than monohydrate. Besides that, the two don't differ much in terms of absorption.

Last we have Creatine Pyruvate which again shows very little difference in absorption from Monohydrate, but demonstrated an ability to cause an elevation in plasma levels of creatine-which I suppose I could attribute much of the pump to.

My regular dose was 1 scoop in my shaker, consumed as I warmed up and did my first set at the gym. It tasted great and mixed well. I received Lemon-Lime and thought it tasted very similar to Gatorade.

On a few occasions I drank this as a recovery drink on off days, but never took more than 1 scoop daily.

This stuff tasted great-honestly. I looked forward to both the taste and its effects.

So, it would be tough to judge SMART forits effects on recovery, but I found it really shined in two areas: pumps and endurance. My lifts were pretty great every time I took this, and I noticed an ability to push out a few extra reps on every lift. I've been forcing myself to spend a little more time between sets recovering lately too, so that may have helped as well, but by the time I hit the 90-second mark I was usually growing impatient and ready to go.

As for the pumps, those things were SERIOUS! On a good arm day my muscles were swelling to a point that I've never experienced. Through most of the time taking it I was also stacking with a product that contained a good amount of Citrulline, and the added vascularity from that just made the whole experience pretty epic. I'd highly suggest combining a good vascular pump product with this to ensure you get the most of it.

SMART is a really good product to demonstrate the difference between a pump and an increase in vascularity-- I know I used to think the terms were interchangeable, and I doubt I'm alone. SMART made my muscles fuller, but I don't attribute an increase in vein size/visibility to it.

Right now on Amazon you can buy Lemon-Lime for $29.99. At $1/serving, I'll take that deal all day long.

Side Effects

Thirsty. This also has salt in it which is great as an added electrolyte, but I think it did seem to make me thirstier.

Conclusion

VMI does it again-this is a product I'd recommend to anyone. Its pumps are incredible, and I experienced no water retention while taking it. My only gripe is that I don't think it can entirely replace monohydrate if you're used to having that loaded at all times, so I did need to play around a bit with when trying to add the monohydrate to the stack daily and how much to use. Besides that, it was nothing but pro's here. For the price, I'd say it's worth anyone giving it a shot.
    • Lemon Lime: 10/10

March 27, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Muscle Endurance
    • Better Pump
    • Full Label Disclosure
    • Increased Power

I will start by saying that taking Creatine Monohydrate does not normally sit well with me. I experience bloating if taken within 2 hours of working out. I reviewed a preworkout that contained creatine mono and I would bloat so bad, that was my one and only gripe with that one. If I take creatine mono (Creapure) ON brand I normally drink it before bed with a big glass of water and I wont bloat as bad. I have taken Kre-alkalyn

I do like that the ingredient list in this is very short. The previous reviewers have done a great job in explaining the different forms of creatine and how they work in the body. Wade419 really goes in to detail on to how creatine works and what it does for anyone that does any sort of physical activity.

Taste/Mixability

I requested and received the Watermelon flavor. It was one of the best tasting supplements I have ever tried. In terms of mixability Creatine is usually very gritty and does not dissolve easily or at all. SMART V3 is quite the opposite, it pretty much dissolved 100%.

I took SMART V3 on my workout days because I was taking my ON creapure on days of before bed. I found that since SMART V3 did not make me feel bloated it was best pre-workout. Sometimes I would take this post workout on my days where I didn't prepare my full gym bag.

My score is based on how I felt using V3 preworkout and postworkout. Now I would normally only use 1 dose, on a few occasions I would double dose either pre or pre and post.

So if you have read my recent reviews I have been cycling a Keto diet (I know the longer in Ketosis the better it is for fat loss). Well while on a Keto diet the pumps are quite lacking, if you do end up getting one it will be short lived. While taking V3 my pumps where not incredible but so much better than without V3. I noticed some increased endurance, I was able to include extra sets and reps in most of my workouts. In terms of strength I know I kept some of my normal strength while being 14lbs lighter.

When I took double doses one pre and one post, I would notice the above effects in the gym. When I would get home and relaxed a bit I would feel slightly refreshed and muscle soreness was not as present. I can't completely attribute this to V3, but a combination of other things. In my experience V3 is a solid product, as an alternative to folks like myself who cant take creatine mono preworkout.

You can find V3 on Amazon in Lemon Lime flavor for 24.99 with free shipping. Or All start health for 26 bucks. In general it will be anywhere from
      .84 cents to about $1 per serving. If you compare it to creatine mono it is not as cheap of a supplement, but just as someone who is lactose intolerant will pay more if they want milk. I found this to be a great alternative to regular creatine mono to me it has good value because I can increase my gym performance without suffering the sides from mono. What could improve the value a bit would be maybe 5-10 more servings for those days when you do double dose, just my 2 cents

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you are someone who can't stand the bloat from Creatine mono then V3 is the creatine for you. You will feel the increased endurance, strength & pumps. Plus you don't have to deal with a good product with a horrible flavor as this taste amazing. I really want to thank VMI as they continue to support the SR Troopers/ER.
      • Watermelon: 10/10