ProtoLyte® NATURALS Reviews

By: VMI Sports

(Better than 32% in Protein > Whey Protein)

ProtoLyte® NATURALS is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by VMI Sports. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Protein > Whey Protein

November 11, 2018

• Lactose Free
  • Gluten Free
  • Scooper Wrong Size

Once again VMI Sports has delivered on a fantastic natural Whey Protein Isolate without adding any unnecessary fillers that simply are not needed in protein shakes. The quality of the product and the taste achieved will leave users constantly wanting to buy more.

Big thanks to VMI Sports for sending me ProtoLyte Naturals to me. Protein powders are everywhere in today's world and they all claim to be the best thing out there, even though most of them are full of junk and things that are not needed in the product. A few years ago was the giant amino spiking scandal which I am positive is still going on, and then some companies are using cheap ingredients that leave the user feeling bloated and nasty. With that being said, there is an up and coming trend of natural protein powders. Powders that take away all of the fillers and sweeteners so that it is a bare bones protein experience. This is what VMI has given us. They have already delivered with a fantastic product in their regular ProtoLyte protein powder, but now they give us ProtoLyte naturals. Let's take a look at how it faired.

right off the bat, you have a fully transparent label with VMI:
Calories from Fat 0
Total Fat 0
Potassium 166mg
Total Carbohydrates <1g
Protein 21- 23g from Isolate depending on flavor

Besides the protein you get in this, you also get a healthy dose of EAA's/BCAA's
10.5g Total EAAs
5.3g BCAAs
4g Glutamine
991mg Electrolytes & Minerals from TRAACS - hydration

Your protein source is coming from Non-GMO Cold Processed Whey Protein Isolate, and depending on what flavor you go with you will either have Cocoa powder or not. Both include digestive enzymes which I feel is important because sometimes proteins can be hard to digest and leave you with gas and bloat. They have also included the electrolytes and minerals in this that are in the regular ProtoLyte which I thought was an amazing idea. As you know it takes natural fluid from your body to utilize protein and if you are already hot or low on electrolytes, more protein will cause more havoc on those levels. By adding the electrolytes they are helping to fight this issue.

I asked and received the chocolate fudge cookie flavor and it was dynamite. It was a very rich almost dark chocolate fudge/ice cream flavor that I really enjoyed. Obviously, it was delicious with one scoop but even better with 2 scoops.

Mixability I notice was hit or miss with some users because they said that it foamed up a lot. While I did notice some foam, for me it was not a large issue, rather the one that I noticed time and time again, was how thick the shake got. We are talking McDonald's triple-thick milkshake thick, which in some cases good because you really feel full afterward but it leaves a lot behind in the shaker cup.

Dosing wise I would use 1-2 scoops for a post workout shake, or I would throw a scoop in with a serving of yogurt for a late night snack. Either way, you cannot go wrong with a protein that has this clean of a profile.

Here is the hardest part of a protein review, the effectiveness section. Rather than trying to quantify how much my muscles grew or strength gained with this, I will focus on how it delivered as what it is....a form of caloric food.

With this, outside of the fact that I always looked forward to drinking it, it was very effective in delivering a strong source of clean protein that kept me full until I could eat lunch. Not only that, it never left me feeling bloated or gave me other nasty side effects that can come with using natural sweeteners. The fact that it had 0 sugars and only 1g of carbs also made this ideal for me because I frequently cycle my carbs and deplete them totally. This allowed me to still get a solid dose of protein without having to ingest a bunch of junk or excess carbs in doing so.

So far everything in this review has been great, so what is the one problem that I had with this? Well since I have not really seen it be talked about yet maybe it was just my tub, but my issue is with the scooper. Yes, I was double scooping out of a small tub, but I noticed that this tub was diminishing rather quickly. I took it upon myself to weigh out 1 level scoop from the scooper provided and found that it was 37.2 grams. Not a big deal, but it is when the serving size is 27.6g. Now I completely understand that the scoopers are not exact and that there are some variations with this, for example ON Gold standard serving is 32g but the scooper only holds 30g. However, for the scooper to be almost a full 10g extra, that will add up fast especially with a small tub of powder.

Again, I am not sure if others had this issue, but it was one that I noticed and I hope VMI can take a look at this because I do not want this to be the big issue with a great product.

As others have mentioned you can find this on amazon.com for $39.99 w/ free shipping for 25 servings which comes out to $1.60 a serving. While this is at the higher end of protein powders, when you compare the ingredients you are getting with the other "Natural" powders out there, you will find that this is actually pretty competitive.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I loved this stuff. I love the original ProtoLyte and I am glad to see that nothing was lost on the natural version. While there are only 2 flavors right now, fingers crossed we could see a strawberry version soon. Again, I just need them to fix the scooper to being close to the correct serving size for this to be the perfect natural powder for me.
  • Chocolate fudge cookie: 9/10

9.2
  September 12, 2018

• Gluten Free
  • Lactose Free
  • Slight Foam
  • Would Like A Larger Tub

I have been a big fan of VMI Sports for quite sometime now having tried a majority of the products in their product lineup. I have tried several of their other protein products and when I heard they were coming out with an all natural one I had to try it. Here is the review.

VMI Sports Protolyte Natural is a naturally flavored 100% cold processed whey protein isolate protein. Each scoop of the chocolate fudge cookie flavor contains 105 calories, less than 1g of fat, 1g of carbohydrates, and 21g of protein. This protein is also naturally sweetened, non-GMO, lactose free, and gluten free. Further, it also includes digestive enzymes, which is something that I look for in a protein supplement. This product (and VMI's other whey protein isolate) set themselves apart with including 991 mg of electrolytes and minerals. This product contains 500 mg of magnesium bisglycinate chelate, 300 mg of calcium bisglycinate chelate, 183 mg of potassium glycinate complex, and 8 mg of chromium nicotinate glycinate chelate. The major thing here is that these are all trademarked through Albion International who specialize in electrolytes and minerals. Overall, I really like the ingredient profile especially the naturally flavored and the addition of electrolytes and minerals.

I received the chocolate fudge cookie flavor and really enjoyed it. The powder has a very rich cocoa smell and I almost get hints of dark chocolate. To me this smelled like dark chocolate hot cocoa mix. When mixed, the smell kind of reminded the same but if I used milk the smell got more towards milk chocolate. When you first taste this you get hit with rich milk chocolate that is followed by a dark chocolate type taste that was slightly bitter. I want to note that the bitterness was not a negative, it was like the bitterness you get from dark chocolate. I did not really taste a stevia aftertaste as it was well masked in this product. I'll be honest this is the best tasting naturally flavored supplement that I have taken. If I did not know this was naturally sweetened I would have not been able to tell the difference. Do note that I mostly used skim milk with this product.

In terms of mixability, it mixed well but there was slight foaming. I would mostly use a blender with this product and it gave the shake more froth, which I liked. I tend to like frothy shakes as I find them more filling. As far as dosing goes, I used this to fill my protein macros so it varied by day.

I personally found this to be a very effective product especially in my motivation to want to take it. Protein supplements are a challenge to rate because in the end they are a food supplement to fill in protein macros. The major thing I noticed with this is that I wanted to drink and I really enjoyed taking it. The flavor I felt was great. I currently am taking the whey protein isolate by Kaged Muscle and I have to choke it down with how sickenly sweet and odd aftertaste due to stevia there is. With Protolyte I have absolutely no issue even with the fact that it is naturally sweetened with stevia, I can barely tell. I feel like this one really set the bar with the naturally flavored proteins and I really enjoyed taking this product.

In terms of performance and recovery, I feel like this had a slight edge over other protein supplements due to the inclusion of the electrolytes. I felt more hydrated, which I feel let me push a little harder than usual. I am really attune to my hydration levels and this helped a lot especially for cardio. Now, I am off in the Summer so some of this could be due to having a better diet due to having more time. However, I still believe that this protein gave me a slight edge. Overall, I really enjoyed my time with this protein and it is one I recommend to people when they ask me about protein supplements.

The one thing that I have noticed with VMI Sports is that there products are not always as widely available like some brands. Recently, I have noticed that they are on Amazon, which is great. On Amazon this product currently retails for $39.99 for 30 servings making it $1.33 per serving. I feel like this is competitively priced especially for how good it tasted and the quality of the product. So, in my eyes this is definitely worth it. I do wish there were larger tubs but this is a fairly new product so perhaps in the future.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

Protolyte Naturals is a great tasting natural whey protein isolate. I thought it tasted fantastic and I could barely tell that it was naturally sweetened. This is important since I cannot stand that stevia aftertaste that a lot of products have. I felt that it was effective in filling my protein macros and I noticed a slight increase in performance. I definitely recommend giving this a try.

-Xcmiler
  • Chocolate fudge cookie: 9/10

September 6, 2018

• Foamy

I would like to thank VMI Sports once again for participating in the SR TROOP Program. They are one of a few companies I routinely see on the program for product reviews. I've tried many of their products and have become a fan of their brand. Protein is the biggest staple in my supplement stack and having been looking at natural sources lately. My wife decided to try to have a mostly organic/natural lifestyle so this when this came up I had to give it a try.

The basic profile looks like this:

Calories from Fat 0
Total Fat 0
Potassium 166mg
Total Carbohydrates <1g
Protein 23g from Isolate

My biggest takeaway after looking at this label is the 0 sugar & fat. There are a lot of unwanted fillers/ingredients in a lot of different protein sources, VMI Sports kept this formula very clean. This profile is good for someone who doesn't want those extra unwanted calories with only 100 calories per serving. Perfect for those on a strict diet or want to live a natural lifestyle.

In addition you are getting:
10.5g Total EAAs - essential amino acids
5.3g BCAAs - recovery
4g Glutamine - recovery
991mg Electrolytes & Minerals from TRAACS - hydration

Taste - For this review I received the Vanilla Cake Batter flavor which is one of two flavors available. The flavor was very light in things considered I had an idea it wasn't going to be very sweet. It had a slight taste of vanilla - in water there wasn't much of a taste however when mixed with milk it tasted a lot better. Overall I'd give taste 6-6.5/10

Mixability - The only issue in regards to mixability was foaming. There was significantly more foaming when mixed in water compared to milk. Foaming isn't that big of a deal when there were no other issues.

Dosing - Protein powder can be dosed at just about any time in regards to macros & recovery. I used one serving a day following my morning cardio workouts. On non-training days I took it just about whenever to fill my macros.

As noted above I took one serving of Protolyte Naturals following my morning cardio sessions. I felt this had increased my recovery and my body felt better going into workout #2 at night. DOM feelings were noticeably decreased all while feeling physically good to go. With digestive enzymes added to the formula there were no digestive issues (gas). I tend to have issues with certain whey sources however with how clean the formula was I wasn't expecting any. Overall I was satisfied with how effective Protolyte Naturals was for me.

The cheapest value was found on Amazon for $39.99 w/ free shipping for 25 servings. At that price point you're paying around $1.60 per serving which is a little high. However you are going to pay up for natural products with clean ingredients such as Protolyte Naturals. If you're really into a healthy alternative lifestyle I'd say give this a go. If you're looking for a clean protein then at this price I'd consider buying this occasionally when needed.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall this is a solid protein powder with the price only bringing it down with all things considered. This is a great protein for those looking for a clean formula with natural ingredients. I definitely recommend giving Protolyte Naturals a go - be on the lookout for discount codes & sales. Thanks again to VMI Sports for giving me the opportunity to review another quality supplement.
  • Vanilla cake batter: 6/10

6.2
  August 21, 2018

• Incredibly Foamy

This does not taste that good but has extras and digests well.

I would like to thank vmi for sending this to the troopers. I think protein is important to have but sometimes it can be good to lay off artificial sweeteners for a little bit so making this product seemed like a great choice.

Each scoop contains

Protein 23g

Whey isolate is supposed to be digested faster than concentrate and casein protein. It is better digested for those who have lactose intolerance also.
The protein is cold processed and contains traac minerals and electrolytes for hydration and recovery. It is free of artificial flavors and sweeteners and use stevia and natural flavors instead.
The ingredients seem great but they reduced the protein content from what was in the old protein. I like that they added electrolytes and minerals. This seems like a great formula overall.

I got the vanilla cake batter flavor and it might seem like a bad flavor if you've never had a natural protein but if you've had natural proteins before you should know to not expect too much from them. This is better than other natural proteins I've tried. It has no vanilla taste but has a smell to it. I honestly would think this is unflavored protein if I got this without looking at the label. When I put this in smoothies it would not effect the taste at all so that is what I did so I could enjoy the product.

I had no problems mixing it but it was really foamy. No matter how much water was added or taken it would always foam my cup.

I would have one scoop mixed in my morning smoothies every day and another post workout with milk.

It is hard to rate effectiveness of protein normally but I did notice a few things with this protein that I didnt with other proteins. I felt more hydrated than normal after using this. I would not be tired after working out and was able to continue on with my day and not rest from being tired from my workout. I think the electrolytes and minerals helped with this. I did not have and digestion issues with this product.

You can find this for $50 at vmisports.com which is $2 for a scoop. I think that is kind of expensive for a protein powder. For a natural protein I think $1.50 or less a serving is a good price. I would wait to get this on discount if I were to purchase this product.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is a great protein powder but could use a price drop for me to buy it. I would definitely recommend to someone looking for a natural protein isolate powder since most I could find were concentrate.
  • Vanilla cake batter: 7/10

August 19, 2018

• Foamy

ProtoLyte Naturals is a great all-natural protein supplement by VMI that helps users obtain the goodness of high quality protein without the unwanted artificial additives.

A special thanks to VMI and their continued participation here on SR.com. Today, I discuss my experiences with their protein supplement ProtoLyte Naturals. As of said time and time again, protein is often the mainstay staple in most fitness enthusiasts' supplement regimen. Protein itself is a necessary macro nutrient needed by the body for more than a handful of purposes. There are many choices of protein supplements out there, which make the market for these type of supplements very competitive. Regardless, many protein supplements contain a lot of unwanted artificial crud that nobody wants nor needs. That is when users will opt for a more natural alternative version of protein supplements.

Lets see how ProtoLyte Naturals stand up.

Each single scoop serving starts off with providing the following:

Sugar 0g

I like that there are no added sugars, fat, or "bad" carbs. One can see from this alone that ProtoLyte Naturals is clearly a diet friendly protein for those looking to lose fat and reduce excessive weight. Of course, it can be used by anyone regardless of goals.

Getting to the core ingredients, each serving provides 21g of protein. The protein source used is 100% cold processed, non-GMO, micro filtered whey protein isolate.

You also get 5.3g BCAAs and 4g of glutamine do help with recovery as well. Lastly, each serving provides a subsequent amount of additional EAAs and VMI's patented TRAACS electrolytes for hydration support.

Each serving is free of gluten, lactose, artificial flavors, and dyes.

I received the chocolate fudge cookie. The flavor itself was very light and subtle. Though, considering the natural nature of the protein without added fats, sugars, and sweeteners, I found the flavor to be satisfactory for a more natural supplement. It definitely tasted better in milk than water, but was decent in either case. There is also a vanilla cake batter flavor available.

The protein itself mixed fine without any chunks or globs. However, there is some foaming resulting from the preparation. Nonetheless, the foaming wasn't significant.

I stuck to using only one serving a day. I took a serving usually around the evening about 30 minutes post workout.

As primarily a post workout shake, I noticed my recovery was notably improved. Post workout and next day DOMS was reduced and I was able to go into all my following workouts with more energy and less lethargy and soreness from previous training sessions.

I was experiencing better levels of satiety and had less hunger pangs throughout the days. The hunger spikes during nights were also significantly less frequent.

Since ProtoLyte Naturals had no added sugars and unnecessary carbs or fat, I didn't have any digestion issues such as bloating or gas. In addition, while the hunger pangs were less, my general appetite wasn't killed or too suppressed to the point where I couldn't eat. I was still able to consume all of my meals regularly without feeling excessively full or bloated.

All things combined, it was overall a great natural way to help me meet my macro quotas all throughout.

The cheapest price I found was 39.99 on amazon with free shipping. This is in no way a cheap price considering each tub comes only with 25 servings as opposed to a full 30 days month supply. Natural oriented supplements often go for more, but this is still a bit of a pricey product. Though, I do feel at the same for its quality and efficacy for a natural protein supplement, it's still worth an occasional investment. As I always say, lookout for sales and deals.

Side Effects

Conclusion

While the price tag may be discouraging to many, ProoLyte Naturals is a great, versatile protein product that is sure to give you the goodness of protein without the unwanted additives. The additional BCAAs and glutamine will help greatly with recovery and the protein itself will help keep you satisfied and support anabolism for new gains overtime. Be sure your diet and training are in check and lookout for sales given the price.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO RED SOX!!!
  • Chocolate fudge cookie: 7/10

August 17, 2018

• Incredibly Foamy

This is your all natural isolate whey protolyte protein without all the extra calories/fats/carbs. Does come with a rather high price tag and rather foamy.

First off I want to thank VMI Sports for letting us troopers have the chance to give this product a try. I have tried a lot of their products and really enjoyed them and when I saw they now had this protolyte in an all natural I figured I would give it a try since I really liked their regular protolyte. Sometimes when it comes to an all natural type protein I am not always sure how it will perform. Having all natural is better in ways than regular protein but not always performs as well.

1 scoop= 27.6g
100 calories
Protein 21g

This is 100% cold pressed and Filtered WPI.
21g of protein per scoop.
No artificial sweeteners no fillers
TRAACS Minerals and electrolytes for recovery and hydration.
Gluten Free, Lactose Free, NON GMO Protein.
Zero Sugars and is naturally sweetened.
It does contain xanthan gum, stevia, and enzyme blend
10.5g of EAAS

I had the chocolate fudge cookie. This reminded me a lot of a real light tasting chocolate milk. Kind of like when you are making chocolate milk at home and you put your milk in the glass and then add some chocolate syrup to it but don't put very much chocolate in it. I thought for being all natural on taste it turned out to be fairy decent on taste and enjoyed it.

Mixing was no real issue. I did notice some foaming but I did not think it was as bad as other were saying it was. Maybe with the chocolate the foaming is not as bad as it is with the vanilla. I used one scoop post workout. Post workout is when I would normally take this. This could be taken pretty much anytime you feel the need or trying to get in your marco count.

This I would use mainly for my post workout shake. I always try to take in protein right away after I get done working out. I felt my overall recovery from this was decent. I did feel a bit better and less sore. I know my DOMs were not as noticeable especially on legs which I had changed the workout I was doing for them a little bit and figured I would be more sore like. I felt this gave me some better energy and was able to perform a little better in the gym. I do think this helped but I think their regular protolyte was a bit more effective for me.

If your trying to watch your marco count I think this is great for that. With only 105 calories and hardly any fat this is a rather clean protein and won't cause you to gain much in any extra weight or make you feel real bloated like either. While using this I did not feel all bloated like and it was very good on my stomach and never caused me any unwanted digestive issues. This did make me feel more full like after I would take this but that did not seem to last as long. I know that while I was using this I did seem to lean up a bit more and still was able to put on some muscle mass.

The cheapest I could find this was on amazon.com and they want $39.99 for 25 servings. I think for a protein powder like this it is rather spendy and not really worth the extra cost.

Side Effects

Nothing I noticed.

Conclusion

For being all natural type protein I think this was a fairly decent product and did help me a bit. If your someone trying to watch your macro count I think this is a good choice to go with. This has a lot of good ingredients in it and they do try to keep it very clean like and not add a bunch of other fillers and stuff you don't need. If your someone trying to cut or lean up more I think this is great to use but if your trying to add more weight and bulk some I would maybe look else where. For being all natural I think they did a good job on taste and this won't cause you any unwanted gut issues. For this being all natural I do think the price for this is a bit high and hope they drop the price a bit at some point. It's still a decent protein but just to pricy for what you get. Again I want to give a big shout out to VMI Sports for making this product and letting me have the chance to give this a try.
  • Chocolate fudge cookie: 8/10

August 13, 2018

• Incredibly Foamy

I got the chocolate fudge cookie. It tasted like a chocolate fudge pop to me, and the stevia wasn't overpowering. It made good mug cakes, but the shakes were a bit too foamy. I recommend it if you want a naturally flavored product. Else, stick w/ the regular VMI Protolyte.

I'm a competing powerlifter, currently cutting some vanity pounds before I bulk in the winter. I'm lifting 4 days a week using Brian Alrushe's Powerbuilding Program and I'm running 3 days a week in preparation for a 10k race in October.

I really enjoyed VMI's Protolyte, so when I saw they had a natural version in the Troops Program, I had to try it. I've had a few natural protein powders before and they never tasted good. I hoped VMI would do better than the rest.

One scoop (27.6g) gives you 21g protein, >1g fat, 1g carbs (0g sugar), and is 105 calories. There are also 10.5g EAAs per scoop, added electrolytes, and VMI gives us the amino profile on the tub.

In terms of ingredients, VMI uses non-GMO cold processed whey protein isolate, cocoa powder, natural flavors, xanthan gum, stevia, and an enzyme blend.

I thought it tasted pretty good for a natural protein (8/10). There was a clear chocolate flavor. There was no bitterness. In my experience, natural proteins usually bitter from the stevia. My one critique would be that it tasted more like a fudge pop than actual fudge. This product, though, did not taste as good as the regular Protolyte.

Mixability (6/10) This is where the product started to falter. I don't know what happened (guessing VMI had too much xanthan gum in the product) but my shakes were excessively foamy. They didn't look as bad as some of the pictures I saw of the vanilla cake batter, but I would say 20-30% of my shaker cup was foam.

The xanthan gum, however, did come in handy when I made mug cakes in the microwave. They came out great every time. The product also mixed well with yogurt.

Dose- I had a scoop at a time.

For me, this product was pretty effective. I usually drank it (or ate it) post workout, and my recovery has been pretty solid over the past month. (I had been concerned that my running would affect my lifting, but so far my legs are doing fine)

Protolyte Naturals digested easily, and it was very easy to fit into my macros.

On its own, it was not very satiating, but I would not expect that for 105 calories and almost no fat.

With milk, however, the satiety was better, and it was best, when I mixed it with greek yogurt.

The lowest price I saw was $40 for a tub, which is $1.6/serving. This is a bit expensive to me. I can usually get a whey isolate for $1.1-$1.3/serving. That being said, I think the price is fair. One, those other products may not give me the amino profile or have added electrolyte and enzymes (all of which add value).

Also, when I looked up the costs of some other natural protein powders, they were $2/serving.

Side Effects

Conclusion

VMI gave us a pretty solid natural protein option (they just need to fix the foaming issue). If you don't care about natural sweeteners vs. artificial ones, go one to regular Protolyte.

Thanks for letting me try it.
  • Chocolate fudge cookie: 8/10

August 8, 2018

• Little High In Cost

A good natural protein isolate that will be a foamy protein shake.

Thanks again to the people at VMI. I wanted to try this for two reasons. First, it was a 100% whey isolate which I prefer. Second, it was a natural protein powder. I have only tried two natural protein powders, so I wanted to give it a chance. I have done several reviews on the VMI products and this is the only one that I have an issue with and that is mixability.

Nutrition Facts
1 scoop
100 calories
Protein 23

The nutrition was fantastic. I watch my calories, carbs, and sugar. To get less than 1 mg or 0 mg is outstanding! I have used protein powders in the past that were low but not this low. I give that a very high-ranking. This is a 100% whey isolate. It is naturally sweetened, non-GMO protein, lactose, and gluten-free. It does contain xanthan gum, stevia, and enzyme blend. This is a nice natural isolate protein. I think the ingredients and nutrients are wonderful, so I give this a high-ranking.

I was able to get the vanilla cake batter which was not bad but not great either. The mixability was a problem. The protein would break down but there was a ton of foam that was like a cappuccino extreme foam. The directions say dosing was to take 1 scoop within 30 minutes of workout or could be used during the day as a meal replacement. I would not say it was enough for a meal replacement but was good for workouts. One scoop would be 23 grams of protein. I would mix one before and after a workout. The directions say to mix one scoop with non-fat milk or liquid. I would use it with a non-fat almond milk. Overall, the taste was middle ranking, mixability was low ranking, and dosing was good. With the natural ingredients, the foam will probably not go away but it is normal to have some foam with a natural whey protein. The foam was the only downfall I had with this protein powder.

The straightforward answer is this was an effective protein since it is hard to rank with measurable elements. The nice thing is that it was not only whey isolate but a natural whey isolate. I had good muscle recovery and had the energy that I would need during the workout. I usually take a protein shake before workout and after the workout. Sometimes protein shakes can make her stomach a bit upset but that was never an issue with Protolyte. I was able to get the things that I needed with my protein. I would say it was effective, so I give it a good ranking.

The price ranges from $40 - $50 which $1.33 per serving for 30 servings. Price is a little high. If you are into natural whey, the price is good. For me, I am more into a good whey for $30 for 30 servings. Value for me is low but for natural it is good.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I feel that this was a productive protein powder. The ingredients were good, especially since it natural. The nutrition was outstanding. The taste was OK. The mixability with the foam was a downfall. The dosing was good. The effectiveness was right. The price was a little high for me but it does come with some natural ingredients so that makes it worth the money. I give this a good rating overall and would recommend it to people looking for a natural protein powder.
  • Vanilla cake batter: 6/10

August 1, 2018

• Good Digestion

Protein without a bunch of fat/carbs BUT the taste does not live up to the picture.

What is going on guys? Protein is a staple for every gym rats pantry so I'm always looking for new brands and new flavors to try. I was attracted to this product because of the 'natural' stamp on the container meaning that it had no artificial flavors or unnecessary fillers. I'd like to thank VMI Sports and SR as always for making this review possible. Let's dive right in!

This protein is 100% cold processed & filtered whey protein isolate. There's not really much else to it. It has an EXTREMELY macro-friendly label!!! This is by far my favorite part of the product. 105 calories is lower, in my opinion than most of the proteins at your local nutrition store and the carbs and fats are almost NONEXISTENT. This means that this protein can fit into basically any nutrition plan without too much effort. I've got to tip the cap to VMI on this one because I love a protein that is really just a protein with basically no carbs, fats, or anything else that I'm not looking to add into my diet. It is a protein supplement after all.

1 serving is:
<1g fat
1g carb
21g protein

Taste: I was disappointed here. I had the vanilla cake batter flavor and I am a huge fan of vanilla. However, this taste did not at all live up to expectations for me. There was barely any taste to it at all.

Mixibility: Very easy and very standard. No issues

Dosage: I took 1-2 scoops immediately post workout in an effort to build muscle and really take advantage of that so called 'post workout window' to get the most out of the supplement.

Did it help me build muscle?
Being in a caloric surplus, i would've added weight/hopefully some lean mass either way but this supplement allowed me to supplement almost straight protein into my diet with barely any carbs or fat. This allowed me to more efficiently meet my macronutrient goals without adding unwanted excess carbs or fats.

Was it convenient?
Like almost every other protein powder out there, this product was easy to transport and take on the go to use at my own convenience.

GI issues?
I had no stomach issues while using this product. I didn't have any unpleasant gas or cramping either. Bloating was pretty much nonexistent as well during my trial.

The only place I could find to buy this was off of the manufacturer's website for $49.99. This comes out to $2 per serving and that's not exactly cheap by any means. Even though a supplement is a 'supplement' and taste shouldn't play a huge factor many people will disagree and choose not to spend their money on a supplement that doesn't taste good and who can blame them?

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is a macro-friendly supplement that just lacks the taste to live up to its price tag.

July 18, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Digestion
  • Incredibly Foamy

The natural version of VMI's protolyte lacks flavor, is very expensive, and has significant issues with foaming.

I'd like to start by thanking VMI Sports for giving me a chance to try this. Natural, non-gmo supplements seem to be a growing niche in the industry as people become more aware of their food sources. I applaud their effort to try to penetrate this space, but I think this product needs a little more work to be a real contender in it.

I weigh over 200lbs and rely heavily on powders and bars to meet my macro needs when it comes to protein. This often means I'm taking in quite a lot of sucralose and doing so can cause some stomach discomfort. Having an opportunity to replace some of that artificial sweetener with something natural is something I'm always glad to have a chance to do.

I was also a big fan of the original Protolyte from VMI, so I had high expectations going into this one.

ProtoLyte Naturals has a serving size of 27.6g, which yields 21g of protein; this about 76% protein which I consider to be good, not great. Typically a whey isolate will have a higher protein content by weight. However, VMI also adds another ~1.2g of Minerals and Electrolytes to aid in recovery, which effectively brings the amount of "good stuff" to 80%. This is still below average for an isolate but my only real gripe is that it doesn't taste better with essentially 20% of the scoop being dedicated to taste.

The last things worth noting are that ProtoLyte also contains an enzyme blend to aid in digestion and is sweetened with Stevia.

This category was the deal breaker for me. In my opinion, it's the most important aspect of a protein.

Dosing: I typically took 1 scoop in the morning and 1 scoop after work but well-before dinner.

Taste: I was very surprised by the difference between ProtoLyte original and natural. The natural flavor really lacked the flavor I was expecting. It was very bland and had a noticeable bitter aftertaste from the Stevia. The vanilla was light yet noticeable, it might have been find if it weren't for the bitterness that followed.

Mixability: While I never had an issue with chunks, mixing in a shaker or in a blender resulted in an absurd amount of foam. I'd usually use the shaker with about 6oz of water, and the foam would end up filling the entire shaker bottle. I posted a picture at the end... what you can't see is the shaker ball buried beneath, and this was after shaking it, drinking it, commuting 20 minutes to work, responding to a few emails, then picking up the bottle to go clean it.

ProtoLyte was fine in terms of aiding in recovery and not causing digestive issues. I never had an upset stomach after drinking it at all, and my DOMS didn't change compared to how they typically are with the same protein intake. I will say that it didn't keep me full quite as long as my usual protein, but my usual protein is also a concentrate instead of an isolate, so that's not surprising. Overall this seemed very clean and I would have enjoyed using it if the taste and foam weren't so objectionable.

Right now I think you can only buy this direct from VMI for $49.99. That's $2/serving. Expensive, but if it tasted better and was natural it might be justified. Considering it's only 25 servings and I went through it in 12 days, it's probably not an option for me though. I'd need the flavor to improve and for a larger serving size to become available to bring down the cost per serving.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I wanted to like this... I really did... but unfortunately, I didn't. I like the idea and applaud the effort, but the foam, the taste, the price, all did it in for me. I have total faith in VMI as a company though and would gladly give version 2.0 a shot if they ever take this back to the lab. I don't think it would be a bad idea to even add real organic sugar to it either. I just don't think Stevia is the end all be all solution for natural supplement sweeteners.

Thanks again to VMI- look forward to seeing more from these guys in the future.
  • Vanilla cake batter: 4/10